Photo

Adrian Shadows of Amn 366

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Arcalian

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:44 PM

The major domo was truly astonished to see the party. "You have come, truly? I did not think you would. I feared you had abandoned us in our hour of greatest need!"

Adrian blinked. "Greatest need? What has happened?"

"Not what has happpened, but what is going to happen," said the Major Domo.

"It's the Roenalls," said Nalia, coming down the stone stairs. "They have sent threatening letters, then emmisaries. They mean to retake the Keep, and I have no doubt they are gathering armies even now."

Another delay. Just what the party did not need. Adrian hissed in frustration. "Then we shall do what we can to gather reinforcements as well."

Nalia blinked. "How?"

"In my time away I have also obtained the Windspear Hills as my domain." He turned to face Tree and the elf Dradeel, who was both wizard and priest. "I will need the skills of you both, as well as a helpful bribe of gold, for this. It may not even work. I have no way to know."

Dradeel and Tree looked at each other, then back at Adrian.

"I am in your debt," said Dradeel said simply.

"I will do what I can, of course," Tree added.

Adrian turned to the Major Domo. "Bring to me whatever tax money you have obtained. Now." The Major Domo raced up the stairs.

"What are you planning, bro?" Imoen asked.

Adrian smiled grimly. "To buy some assistance."

-----

Irenicus stood within the gates of Suldanesslar. The going was slower than he had thought.

The Queen had some inkling or anticipation of his attack, it would seem. Perhaps her patron, Rillifane, had warned her. Or perhaps that foolish human wizard of Mystra; he was known to visit the city from time to time.

He would triumph; there was no doubt of that. But the cost to his own forces was higher than anticipated. Permanently summoning and enslaving Elementals to his will would have to fill the ranks. And, of course, the Black Dragon would be of great assistance as well.

But one thing he would not have was Bhodi's assistance. He had felt her passing; and while he did not exactly mourn her, she would've been useful right about now, to turn some of the enemy into her children and thus their own soldiers; and to summon other undead as well. Oh, he had enough spells of his own to be sure, but she could've bolstered his forces.

Her passing also meant that Adrian would be coming for him. The Bhaalspawn had triumphed over his sister, obviously.

There would have been a time when he was certain he would have been able to storm the celestial gates of the Seldarine themselves before Adrian could catch up with him. But now he was not so sure.

Something else disqueted Irenicus. At least once or twice amongst the ranks of the Elven defenders, he had seen what appeared to be a Half-Elf, wearing a face so like the one he himself had once worn that Irenicus wondered if it was some distant relation.

One way or the other, the Gods wre still laughing at him.

Irenicus' mask of a face frowned grimly. That will change soon enough, he promised himself. Bhaalspawn or no, that will change soon enough.
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com