Ember's Tale 45: Restoring Balance

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:28 PM

Chapter 45: Restoring Balance

Ember reached Baldur's Gate by late morning. She stumbled wearily into the Elfsong inn, and found her friends gathered in the common room. From the sound of it, they were loudly discussing whether to go look for her or to wait for her there.

"Um, hi," she said. Everyone turned to look at her. Imoen leapt out of her chair.

"Don't you ever do that again!" Imoen exclaimed, hugging Ember so hard that she could hardly breathe. "Where did you go? Are you all right? Look at you, you look like you haven't slept in a month!"

"I'm sorry, Immy. It won't happen again, I promise," Ember said as soon as Imoen loosened her grip slightly.

"Missed you, we did!" Alora exclaimed. "But now you're back and we're all together again! Isn't that great?"

"Yes, it is," Ember said, smiling at the halfling.

"Where were you?" Kivan asked. "Your note merely said you were going to see if Elminster was right, and that you'd be back when you could. It was hardly as reassuring as you must have intended."

"Minsc wanted to help you find a proper sword of justice, but you were gone! Not even Boo knew where you were!" Minsc said.

"I would like to know what would possess you to leave the inn alone, without a weapon, and unarmoured," Edwin demanded. "(The foolish girl is lucky she wasn't killed in the streets!)"

"I wasn't unarmoured," Ember said. "And Minsc, I'd love that, but I've sworn never to wield a sword again." She pulled her neatly folded chainmail out of her pack and placed it on the table.

"Em, what did you do?" Imoen asked slowly.

"It's a long story," Ember said.

"Sit down and tell us," Kivan said. He flagged down a serving girl and ordered some food and drink for Ember, while Minsc offered Ember his chair.

Ember sat down with a small sigh of relief, sipped some water from a proffered mug, and began telling them what she had done the previous night. She related everything she could remember of the encounter, and her companions became more and more wide-eyed as the story progressed.

"You really spoke to Khelliara?" Minsc asked, sounding awestruck, when Ember finished her story.

"Khelliara?" Ember asked.

"The Forest Lady! Minsc hears her sometimes, when the leaves rustle, but not even Boo has seen her. Was she pretty?"

Khelliara must be her name in Rashemen, Ember realized. "Yes, Minsc, she was very pretty," she said.

Minsc smiled happily. "And now little Ember serves Khelliara, just like Minsc and Boo! Oh, joyous day!"

"You have chosen a good path," Kivan said. "I hope it may bring you peace."

"I hope so too," Ember said.

"I have only one question," Edwin said. "Is your newfound druid-ness going to make you cause problems whenever I (or Imoen) use a fire spell?"

"No more than I already would have, if you went around burning everything in sight," Ember said, and grinned at the conjuror. "Don't worry, Edwin; from what I've seen, you know what you're doing."

"But of course," Edwin said, straightening his robes.

"You're not going to be anything like those shadow druids, right?" Imoen asked.

Ember laughed. "Absolutely not!"

"Just making sure," Imoen said with a wide grin. "So, what's it like, being a druid?"

"I don't really know yet," Ember said. "After all, I don't know how to be a druid. The Lady told me where to go to learn, though."

"Where's that?" Imoen asked.

"A forest, obviously. (Probably some circle,)" Edwin said.

"Do you remember that grove we found in the Wood of Sharp Teeth?" Ember said. "That's where I have to go."

"Where we have to go, you mean," Imoen said.

"You don't have to-"

"Ember, you did just promise to not go away on your own again," Kivan said, almost smiling. "Rest assured, we will hold you to that."

---

Even though she hadn't fully noticed, Ember was exhausted from her night with no food and very little rest. She ate a light meal, which was all her stomach could handle, and went straight to her room. There, she pulled off her boots and lay down on her bed. She fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

When Ember woke up, soft grey light filtered through the curtains; it was not long until sunrise, she surmised. Feeling unusually rested, she tiptoed to the window and peered out at the cloudy morning sky. "I didn't have that dream," she said absentmindedly.

"Whuh?" Imoen muttered sleepily from under a pile of blankets in the other bed.

"Oh! Sorry, Immy, I didn't mean to wake you," Ember whispered embarrasedly. "Go back to sleep."

"No... what'd you say?" the pile mumbled.

"I didn't have that dream," Ember repeated. "I... I didn't have that dream!" she exclaimed.

The pile of blankets crawled out of the other bed and hugged her enthusiastically.

---

After a full breakfast, during which Minsc informed Ember that a mage blacksmith had taken care of Varscona and that the sword was now a lump of plain iron at the bottom of the river, the group left Baldur's Gate and headed into the Wood of Sharp Teeth, led by Kivan and Minsc.

The journey to the defiled grove took four days, but they were pleasant days. The trees around them were brimming with almost-ripe fruits and nuts, and the low bushes that covered the forest floor were full of succulent berries. They used this to their advantage, making sure that every meal break was made near a suitable berry patch. The weather was comfortably warm, the air was clear, and they weren't accosted by a single bandit. Ember studied everything they passed with new eyes; the woodlands seemed to have gained a particular hue or quality that she just hadn't known how to look for before.

"Listen to the birds," Imoen said on the fourth day. They had reached the dense heart of the forest, and were walking under canopies formed by the mingling branches of trees on either side of the rough forest paths.

"Pretty!" Alora chirped as she climbed over the trunk of a fallen tree. "What a great forest, huh? I never seen trees like these before."

"I have," Edwin said, smoothing his robes after traversing the same obstacle.

"Boo says the birds are happy now," Minsc told them. "They don't mind being near the grove anymore."

"It's not far now, right?" Ember asked.

"Not far at all!" Minsc exclaimed.

Within half an hour, they reached the clearing where they'd first encountered a shadow druid. It had looked like a scar the last time Ember saw it; now, the traces of blood and fire were all but gone, and young plants were sprouting where the ground had been torn up. It was still a scar, but it was a healing scar.

Two figures were standing beside a smallish oak near the edge of the clearing; Ember was unable to make out their faces. "Is it them?" she asked Kivan.

"Aye," Kivan replied. "It is Khalid and Jaheira."

"Do you want to talk with her alone, or do you want us to come with you?" Imoen asked.

Ember considered it for a moment. "It'll probably be easiest if I go alone," she decided.

"We will wait here," Kivan said.

Ember straightened herself up, took a deep breath, and walked across the clearing towards the two half-elves. She could now tell that they were somehow tending the oak; Jaheira was running her hands over a deep gash in the tree's main trunk. As Ember drew closer, the half-elves turned to face her.

"G-greetings, child," Khalid said amiably. "Where are your f-friends?"

"Over there, at the edge of the clearing," Ember said, gesturing in their general direction.

"What brings you here?" Jaheira asked.

Ember shuffled her feet. "I was told to find you here," she said.

"And who told you this?"

"It... it wasn't a person," Ember said hesitantly. "I pledged myself to Mielikki. She told me to find you here."

"Child, am I to understand that you have spoken with the Ranger goddess?" Jaheira asked.

"Kind of. She was a unicorn in a dream. She told me to come here and ask you to teach me." Ember felt herself blush. How many people go around talking with deities? I must sound insane!

"To teach you what?" Jaheira asked.

"How to be a druid."

Jaheira nodded. "It is unusual, but I have heard of others entering her service in such a manner, especially this past year," she said. "I suppose there is a shortage of her druids on the Sword Coast, since she has sent you to me."

"I think it was because you knew me. Knew of me, anyway," Ember said. Jaheira smiled wryly.

"I dreamed of you three nights ago," Jaheira said. "Silvanus told me you would come here, seeking my assistance, but the dream was not clear as to why. I understand better, now that you have come."

"So, will you?" Ember asked. "Show me how to do this, I mean?"

"As long as you do not expect to gain a lifetime of experience in a few short weeks," Jaheira said. "I can help you with the basics; the rest, including your own understanding of the Balance, is up to you. I will do my best to guide you for as long as we both see fit."

"I understand," Ember said. "Thank you."

"Excellent," Jaheira said. "We can start immediately, if you wish; I have been tasked with restoring Balance to this grove. It was defiled, and the druids who lived here were murdered; Nature still weeps for the loss. It will be a valuable lesson for you if you assist me in cleansing the area."

"I'd be glad to," Ember said. "It was so horrible, the way it was."

"You have seen this glade before?"

"We passed by when we were looking for a bandit camp. There was one druid left alive, but he had been driven insane, and we were forced to kill him. We buried him there," Ember said, pointing towards the barely visible grave, "after we dealt with the shadow druid that'd poisoned him and the others."

Jaheira's eyebrows rose. "So you are the ones Seniyad told me about," she said.

"You know Seniyad?"

"He is an old friend and mentor of mine, and it was he who sent us here; he could not spare any of his own druids," Jaheira said. "He did tell me that a group of adventurers had vanquished the shadow druid, but named no names. You did well here, and I would be glad to hear more about it."

"Gorion would be proud, indeed!" Khalid said with a smile. "I look forward to g-getting to know you, child, and your friends as w-well."

Ember smiled. "I look forward to getting to know you, too."

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:04 PM

"I'm sorry, Immy. It won't happen again, I promise," Ember said as soon as Imoen loosened her grip slightly.

Yeah, we don’t really expect her to switch deities around, so it probably won’t happen again.

"I wasn't unarmoured," Ember said. "And Minsc, I'd love that, but I've sworn never to wield a sword again." She pulled her neatly folded chainmail out of her pack and placed it on the table.

That’s okay, you can still wield scimitars. *drool* I love scimitars in BG2…

Khelliara must be her name in Rashemen, Ember realized. "Yes, Minsc, she was very pretty," she said.

Yes, the unfettered barbarians of Rashemen have their own names for the western gods. Thank you ever so much for this added confusion! :)

"I have only one question," Edwin said. "Is your newfound druid-ness going to make you cause problems whenever I (or Imoen) use a fire spell?"

Well, not until you burn down the whole of Cloakwood…

"Do you remember that grove we found in the Wood of Sharp Teeth?" Ember said. "That's where I have to go."

The one defiled by the Shadow druids? Good idea, nice of you to make further use of it.

"You don't have to-"

I can just hear Edwin cheering at the prospects of trudging through the forests yet again…

"I didn't have that dream," Ember repeated. "I... I didn't have that dream!" she exclaimed.

The pile of blankets crawled out of the other bed and hugged her enthusiastically.

Aww… it was unfair that the poor girl could not even sleep properly.

After a full breakfast, during which Minsc informed Ember that a mage blacksmith had taken care of Varscona and that the sword was now a lump of plain iron at the bottom of the river, the group left Baldur's Gate and headed into the Wood of Sharp Teeth, led by Kivan and Minsc.

*cries* What a waste of a perfectly fine sword! ;)

"Pretty!" Alora chirped as she climbed over the trunk of a fallen tree. "What a great forest, huh? I never seen trees like these before."

He probably feels like he’s seen one forest too many, too.

Two figures were standing beside a smallish oak near the edge of the clearing; Ember was unable to make out their faces. "Is it them?" she asked Kivan.

Oooh! How nice of them to drop in! ;)

"Over there, at the edge of the clearing," Ember said, gesturing in their general direction.

*sigh* ‘We are happy to see you,’ Jaheira, try saying that. And then write it down hundred times so that you remember it. ;)

Jaheira nodded. "It is unusual, but I have heard of others entering her service in such a manner, especially this past year," she said. "I suppose there is a shortage of her druids on the Sword Coast, since she has sent you to me."

Yeah, the numbers of the sane druids seemed to be sort of thinned out a bit…

"I dreamed of you three nights ago," Jaheira said. "Silvanus told me you would come here, seeking my assistance, but the dream was not clear as to why. I understand better, now that you have come."

A little divine conspiring to bring them together. So instead of getting Jaheira as a companion and a friend, Ember gets her as a mentor… I’m not sure this won’t be worse! :wink:

"As long as you do not expect to gain a lifetime of experience in a few short weeks," Jaheira said. "I can help you with the basics; the rest, including your own understanding of the Balance, is up to you. I will do my best to guide you for as long as we both see fit."

Why am I so very scared when I think of Jaheira in a role of a teacher?

"Excellent," Jaheira said. "We can start immediately, if you wish; I have been tasked with restoring Balance to this grove. It was defiled, and the druids who lived here were murdered; Nature still weeps for the loss. It will be a valuable lesson for you if you assist me in cleansing the area."

It shall be properly cleansed and balanced. Whatever that means. ;)

"Gorion would be proud, indeed!" Khalid said with a smile. "I look forward to g-getting to know you, child, and your friends as w-well."

I wonder if it is too much to hope that she and Jaheira will be able to get along civilly? ;)

#3 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:26 PM

"Missed you, we did!" Alora exclaimed. "But now you're back and we're all together again! Isn't that great?"

Alora's the glue that holds people together, isn't she? :wink:

"I would like to know what would possess you to leave the inn alone, without a weapon, and unarmoured," Edwin demanded. "(The foolish girl is lucky she wasn't killed in the streets!)"

Well, at least you care, Eddie. ;)

"The Forest Lady! Minsc hears her sometimes, when the leaves rustle, but not even Boo has seen her. Was she pretty?"

Well, most unicorns are. I always imagine her as a human, or at least humanoid, though I think she's only s'posed to show up as a unicorn. Where was I going with this? I don't know.

She's no Faldorn! (Thank the gods.)

"I don't really know yet," Ember said. "After all, I don't know how to be a druid. The Lady told me where to go to learn, though."

;)

Huzzah! ;)

And I'll bet Eddie has an easier time getting over the fallen ones, too.

Hi, guys! *waves madly*

Oh, she just became a druid. BOOYAH.

... I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me just then.

"Child, am I to understand that you have spoken with the Ranger goddess?" Jaheira asked.

Jealous, Jaheira? ;)

"Kind of. She was a unicorn in a dream. She told me to come here and ask you to teach me." Ember felt herself blush. How many people go around talking with deities? I must sound insane!

You'd be surprised, Ember.

Hey, advance warning! Silvanus must be a micromanager. ;)

"He is an old friend and mentor of mine, and it was he who sent us here; he could not spare any of his own druids," Jaheira said. "He did tell me that a group of adventurers had vanquished the shadow druid, but named no names. You did well here, and I would be glad to hear more about it."

Yay, Khalid and Jaheira! :) I hope Ember and Jaheira get along okay... :)

#4 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:02 AM

That’s okay, you can still wield scimitars. *drool* I love scimitars in BG2…

Yeah, they're very very nice, especially the flamey ToB one. Scimitar + shield + plate armor was obnoxious, even when I tended to forget about iron skin... there is a reason I'm not too concerned about what'll happen when I won't let her wear metal plate, you know :D

Yes, the unfettered barbarians of Rashemen have their own names for the western gods. Thank you ever so much for this added confusion! ;)

Khelliara is a prettier name than Mielikki, I'll have you know ;) (I figure they'll both just call her Forest Lady or something like that)

Well, not until you burn down the whole of Cloakwood…

;)

The one defiled by the Shadow druids? Good idea, nice of you to make further use of it.

Gave me a reason (and an in character one, too!) to have Jaheira and Khalid in the vicinity without sticking them in Gullykin for two months straight :D

"You don't have to-"

I can just hear Edwin cheering at the prospects of trudging through the forests yet again…

Edwin: (What did I do to deserve this?)

Aww… it was unfair that the poor girl could not even sleep properly.

She didn't lose that much sleep.

*cries* What a waste of a perfectly fine sword! :)

Minsc: Perfectly fine evil sword is still evil sword and must meet with justice!

He probably feels like he’s seen one forest too many, too.

Yes. I imagine he misses the desert quite a bit now.

Oooh! How nice of them to drop in! :D

Yes. What a coincidence :D

*sigh* ‘We are happy to see you,’ Jaheira, try saying that. And then write it down hundred times so that you remember it. :D

What makes you think that'd accoplish anything? :D

Yeah, the numbers of the sane druids seemed to be sort of thinned out a bit…

There's also the fact that Mielikki isn't supposed to have any at all untill 1369, and this is 1368... ;)

A little divine conspiring to bring them together. So instead of getting Jaheira as a companion and a friend, Ember gets her as a mentor… I’m not sure this won’t be worse! :)

Well, I can tell you now that Jaheira and Khalid won't ever become party members. Partly because I refuse to kill off Khalid, and partly because I can't do Jaheira justice as a permanent group member.

I was originally going to have Jaheira be surprised, but I figured she deserved a little advance warning :D

Why am I so very scared when I think of Jaheira in a role of a teacher?

You tell me :wink:

It shall be properly cleansed and balanced. Whatever that means. :D

She just loves cleansing and balancing, though :D

I wonder if it is too much to hope that she and Jaheira will be able to get along civilly? :D

I don't expect an abundance of screaming matches, if that is what you're afraid of ;) They are turning out to be a bit harder to write than chapters 40-44, though.

#5 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:18 AM

Alora's the glue that holds people together, isn't she? :wink:

Well, she didn't try to hold people and Coran together ;)

Well, at least you care, Eddie. :)

Edwin: Why doesn't everyone just listen to me?

Well, most unicorns are. I always imagine her as a human, or at least humanoid, though I think she's only s'posed to show up as a unicorn. Where was I going with this? I don't know.

Apparently she usually manifests as a ranger woman or as a girl, and her feet never touched the ground. I decided to go with the unicorn for the dream as unicorns have more 'magical mystery lala' to them than girls do, and because it was a dream rather than a true manifestation :D

She's no Faldorn! (Thank the gods.)

Faldorn pretty much only taught her what not to do :D

Huzzah! :D

Gotta love friendly piles of blankets :D

And I'll bet Eddie has an easier time getting over the fallen ones, too.

He may have longer legs, but she has practice and he has robes and an image to maintain.

Hi, guys! *waves madly*

Khalid: *waves carefully back*

Oh, she just became a druid. BOOYAH.

... I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me just then.

Neither do I :)

Jealous, Jaheira? ;)

Jaheira: Should I be?

You'd be surprised, Ember.

Ember: I know Elminster talks to deities. I rest my case.

Hey, advance warning! Silvanus must be a micromanager. :D

I figure Mielikki asked him nicely to do that ;)

Yay, Khalid and Jaheira! :D I hope Ember and Jaheira get along okay... ;)

No heads will be bitten off, I don't think ;)

#6 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:43 AM

"Don't you ever do that again!" Imoen exclaimed, hugging Ember so hard that she could hardly breathe. "Where did you go? Are you all right? Look at you, you look like you haven't slept in a month!"

Alora is far to chipper so early in the morning.

Edwin does have a point.

Ahh... The magic of dual classing without pressing a button.

That has to be a comfort. I bet daddy is unhappy.

:wink:

People the deities like... oh... and crazy people.

Seems like they will get along in the end after all.

#7 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

"Um, hi," she said. Everyone turned to look at her. Imoen leapt out of her chair.

Understated greeting, there, Ember ;)

Coran: ...but other than that, you look as radiant and beautiful as ever!

*duck*

Ah wait, you got rid of him ;)

*squee* Her enhusiasm is just plain infectious!

"Where were you?" Kivan asked. "Your note merely said you were going to see if Elminster was right, and that you'd be back when you could. It was hardly as reassuring as you must have intended."

Good point.

"Minsc wanted to help you find a proper sword of justice, but you were gone! Not even Boo knew where you were!" Minsc said.

*gasp* No... no! My faith in Boo cannot waver!

*agrees*

Ah, time for a visit to 'Blunt-Weaponz-R-Us' then?

I have a feeling we'll be seeing some familiar faces...

*giggles!*

:)

Yay! :)

*giggles*

Tada!

I love the way he's not surprised to see her -- though I expect there's a reson for that ;)

Not really -- you've not met Tiax yet, have you... ;)

Ah, that's why there's no surprise :D

Aw ;)

:D

I love Khalid so much :D

Awwww :D

I have a warm fuzzy feeling now for Ember :D

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:30 AM

Alora is far to chipper so early in the morning.

1. She's pretty much always chipper.
2. It's late morning by now :)

Edwin does have a point.

He is the smartest person in the party, after all.

Ahh... The magic of dual classing without pressing a button.

Yeah. I figured it'd be way too cheesy if she could just start flinging spells around right off the bat ;)

That has to be a comfort. I bet daddy is unhappy.

Well, yes, but because of the druidness. He never sent those dreams in the first place; her subconscious did. I think he would have preferred it if she'd never had them in the first place ;)

He's still more than able to send his own, of course.

Well, Seniyad is too busy fighting shadow druids to tutor her ;)

Seems like they will get along in the end after all.

More or less, yeah ;)

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

Understated greeting, there, Ember :D

Yeah, she's no Alora ;)

Coran: ...but other than that, you look as radiant and beautiful as ever!

*duck*

Ah wait, you got rid of him :D

;)

*squee* Her enhusiasm is just plain infectious!

Ain't it :D

Good point.

Edwin can't have all of them, after all.

*gasp* No... no! My faith in Boo cannot waver!

*agrees*

Everyone does, really, but only Edwin is callous enough to say it.

Ah, time for a visit to 'Blunt-Weaponz-R-Us' then?

Well, there is that staff+1 Edwin's been lugging around without using more than once or twice...

;)

He's a Red Wizard, she's a druid. It's a good idea for him to ask :D

I have a feeling we'll be seeing some familiar faces...

Yay! :D

;)

*giggles*

Immy's wonderful and she deserves more writing time than I give her.

Tada!

You win the grand prize: One goodberry!

I love the way he's not surprised to see her -- though I expect there's a reson for that ;)

I think Khalid is very good at taking things in stride, even though his stutter implies otherwise :) (After all, he is married to Jaheira :) )

Not really -- you've not met Tiax yet, have you... :D

No, and I hadn't really thought about letting them meet him (I happily skipped Quayle). Maybe I will :D

Aw :D

You know, nature could find a home there... :D

I love Khalid so much :D

And mine gets to live! :D

Awwww :D

I have a warm fuzzy feeling now for Ember :D

Ember: :wink: :D

#10 Guest_sparrow_*

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

Minsc smiled happily. "And now little Ember serves Khelliara, just like Minsc and Boo! Oh, joyous day!"

Do tell me when you tire of hearing it, but your Minsc voice is spot-on. :cry:

"You don't have to-"

"Ember, you did just promise to not go away on your own again," Kivan said, almost smiling. "Rest assured, we will hold you to that."

Aww. :D Though I can't imagine Edwin being very fond of the outdoors. :)

And aww again!

The journey to the defiled grove took four days, but they were pleasant days. The trees around them were brimming with almost-ripe fruits and nuts, and the low bushes that covered the forest floor were full of succulent berries. They used this to their advantage, making sure that every meal break was made near a suitable berry patch. The weather was comfortably warm, the air was clear, and they weren't accosted by a single bandit. Ember studied everything they passed with new eyes; the woodlands seemed to have gained a particular hue or quality that she just hadn't known how to look for before.

Nice description. :cry:

"How to be a druid."

Interesting -and I'm liking the way you've done Ember's conversion to druid too, it's believable and original.

:) Nice to see those two reappear once more.

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 02 October 2006 - 08:44 AM

Do tell me when you tire of hearing it, but your Minsc voice is spot-on. :cry:

Yay! (I like getting him right when I do let him speak)

Aww. :D Though I can't imagine Edwin being very fond of the outdoors. :)

You imagine correctly :cry:

"How to be a druid."

Interesting -and I'm liking the way you've done Ember's conversion to druid too, it's believable and original.

She was pretty adamant that I do this properly :)

:) Nice to see those two reappear once more.

I suspect I might give them cameos in SoA as well :)

#12 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 02 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

I love Minsc. :wink:

"Don't worry, Edwin; from what I've seen, you know what you're doing."

CN: "She apparently hasn't seen all that much, then. Geez. He's worse with those things than I am with a book of matches and a few cans of hairspray."

That's so adorable, it's going to make me throw up. :)

Raven: "She's not the most patient of teachers... shoulda seen her when she was trying to teach us basic battlefield triage... but she knows her stuff, and if you listen, you'll learn a lot."

Harlequin: "Like how to avoid getting her mad enough to smack you in the head." :wink:

Raven: (Nudges her in the ribs with her elbow) "See, kid? Told ya they weren't so bad..." :twisted:

#13 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:21 PM

I love Minsc. :wink:

'Minsc is awesome' cannot be said often enough :wink:

"Don't worry, Edwin; from what I've seen, you know what you're doing."

CN: "She apparently hasn't seen all that much, then. Geez. He's worse with those things than I am with a book of matches and a few cans of hairspray."

Edwin: A problem clearly caused by the fact that none of my peers are truly worthy of comparison with my greatness.

That's so adorable, it's going to make me throw up. :)

*hands you a bucket* :)

Raven: "She's not the most patient of teachers... shoulda seen her when she was trying to teach us basic battlefield triage... but she knows her stuff, and if you listen, you'll learn a lot."

Harlequin: "Like how to avoid getting her mad enough to smack you in the head." :twisted:

Actually, they don't seem to want to argue with each other.

Maybe that's why I've only managed half a chapter in the past week :)

#14 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:14 AM

Chapter 45: Restoring Balance

Ember reached Baldur's Gate by late morning. She stumbled wearily into the Elfsong inn, and found her friends gathered in the common room. From the sound of it, they were loudly discussing whether to go look for her or to wait for her there.

I suggest going to look for her. Right now!!! :P

I went off to have a religious experience. You have just broken three of my ribs. And you know about my dreams.

Isn’t she great. In the latest version (beta) of the BG1 NPC pack, you can shift her to start in Gullykin, which makes her accessible a lot sooner.

Oh, I expect Boo did know, but he wouldn’t have wanted to interrupt Ember’s religious experience.

"Em, what did you do?" Imoen asked slowly.

Everybody subconsciously starts looking for ways they can escape from the crazy person.

"Sit down and tell us," Kivan said. He flagged down a serving girl and ordered some food and drink for Ember, while Minsc offered Ember his chair.

Compare to Coran, who after flagging down a serving girl forgets all about food and drink and concentrates on … “other priorities.”

Ember sat down with a small sigh of relief, sipped some water from a proffered mug, and began telling them what she had done the previous night. She related everything she could remember of the encounter, and her companions became more and more wide-eyed as the story progressed.

"You really spoke to Khelliara?" Minsc asked, sounding awestruck, when Ember finished her story.

"Khelliara?" Ember asked.

Not quite in the same way, since she’s a druid. And what year is this? :wink:

"I hope so too," Ember said.

And if it doesn’t, you can always turn to worshipping Ghaunadur. Slimes are part of nature too. :twisted:

“Edwin. You just stepped on an ant. I will slaughter you in the name of Meilikki.” Doesn’t sound quite Ember, somehow. :twisted:

"No more than I already would have, if you went around burning everything in sight," Ember said, and grinned at the conjuror. "Don't worry, Edwin; from what I've seen, you know what you're doing."

Certainly you do, Edwin. The Nether Scroll incident proves your brilliance.

Imoen, you may be her best friend since you were children, but suggesting someone might be like Faldorn - you’ll be lucky if she doesn’t smack you around the head.

Even though she hadn't fully noticed, Ember was exhausted from her night with no food and very little rest. She ate a light meal, which was all her stomach could handle, and went straight to her room. There, she pulled off her boots and lay down on her bed. She fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow.

When Ember woke up, soft grey light filtered through the curtains; it was not long until sunrise, she surmised. Feeling unusually rested, she tiptoed to the window and peered out at the cloudy morning sky. "I didn't have that dream," she said absentmindedly.

"Oh! Sorry, Immy, I didn't mean to wake you," Ember whispered embarrasedly. "Go back to sleep."

Ajantis: “A pile of blankets that moves by itself. This pile has a sense of evil about it.”

Minsc 1, Evil sword 0

"Listen to the birds," Imoen said on the fourth day. They had reached the dense heart of the forest, and were walking under canopies formed by the mingling branches of trees on either side of the rough forest paths.

Edwin is of course capable of appreciating nature, but I think he’d prefer it if druids had their sacred sites in more reasonable places. There are some very nice trees in that park outside the Ducal Palace, after all. There’s no reason for unnecessary travel or discomfort.

Hi Khalid :P ... Jaheira.

"Do you want to talk with her alone, or do you want us to come with you?" Imoen asked.

Come with me. “You will suffer. You will all suffer.”

Ember considered it for a moment. "It'll probably be easiest if I go alone," she decided.

Sensible elf, that Kivan

Ember straightened herself up, took a deep breath, and walked across the clearing towards the two half-elves. She could now tell that they were somehow tending the oak; Jaheira was running her hands over a deep gash in the tree's main trunk. As Ember drew closer, the half-elves turned to face her.

Must be in a good mood if she’s being that polite.

"And who told you this?"

"It... it wasn't a person," Ember said hesitantly. "I pledged myself to Mielikki. She told me to find you here."

Loads of people talk to deities. Admittedly, the ones who hear the deities reply to tend to be a little odd.

"How to be a druid."

Until 1369 Meilikki didn’t have any druids - so I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures.

"I think it was because you knew me. Knew of me, anyway," Ember said. Jaheira smiled wryly.

"I'd be glad to," Ember said. "It was so horrible, the way it was."

"You have seen this glade before?"

"We passed by when we were looking for a bandit camp. There was one druid left alive, but he had been driven insane, and we were forced to kill him. We buried him there," Ember said, pointing towards the barely visible grave, "after we dealt with the shadow druid that'd poisoned him and the others."

Jaheira's eyebrows rose. "So you are the ones Seniyad told me about," she said.

"You know Seniyad?"

Khalid is a very nice person and I’m sure you’ll enjoy his company. Jaheira can teach you a lot about being a druid.

#15 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:58 PM

Imoen: I say that everyone should hide so that when she comes in she thinks we're all gone... then surprise her!

Edwin: Bah... go and get real jobs you tree hugging hippies.

Imoen: Except when it comes to translating ancient scrolls.

Ember laughed. "Absolutely not!"

"Just making sure," Imoen said with a wide grin. "So, what's it like, being a druid?"

Imoen: I reckon it's better than being a wizard... you'd get to spend a lot more time outdoors.

"Where's that?" Imoen asked.

Edwin: Excellent deduction... that man is brilliant.

Imoen: Wish I had sibling I could hug like that... threatening to hug him is the sure way to make Tarant run away.

BGH Imoen: Least he's not dead like my sister... still, Aerie gives good hugs at least.

Tarant: Brown, green... every spot in the forest looks the bloody same.

Imoen: You said much the same thing when we went to look at that Great Wall of China.

Tarant: It's a wall. What's special about that?

"And who told you this?"

Edwin: Obviously someone who really did not like her.

BGH Imoen: I talk to God all the time...

BGH Aerie: R-really? What does he say?

BGH Imoen: On, Christ knows... Thank you! My drum roll please!

Edwin: Please, you really want to travel with him? He'll hardly fill potential empoyers with confidence in your abilities. The halflings bad enough.

Imoen: Eddie baby, you know Alexander the Great had a stutter don't you?

Aerie: T-that is true sir... he was also quite a small man.

Edwin: He also pranced around in miniskirts. It's no reason to inflict any of it on the rest of us.

Good chapter! Although my experience is that Jaheira and Edwin should never be within ten miles of each other.

#16 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:55 PM

I went off to have a religious experience. You have just broken three of my ribs. And you know about my dreams.

:P

Isn’t she great. In the latest version (beta) of the BG1 NPC pack, you can shift her to start in Gullykin, which makes her accessible a lot sooner.

Hmm, good choice!

Oh, I expect Boo did know, but he wouldn’t have wanted to interrupt Ember’s religious experience.

This particular Boo is pretty normal, as miniature giant space hamsters go :wink:

Compare to Coran, who after flagging down a serving girl forgets all about food and drink and concentrates on … “other priorities.”

Priorities, is that what they're called these days? :P

Not quite in the same way, since she’s a druid. And what year is this? :P

A year too early :twisted:

Imoen, you may be her best friend since you were children, but suggesting someone might be like Faldorn - you’ll be lucky if she doesn’t smack you around the head.

Imoen: Hey, I'm just making sure!

Ajantis: “A pile of blankets that moves by itself. This pile has a sense of evil about it.”

:twisted:

Edwin is of course capable of appreciating nature, but I think he’d prefer it if druids had their sacred sites in more reasonable places. There are some very nice trees in that park outside the Ducal Palace, after all. There’s no reason for unnecessary travel or discomfort.

Edwin: Exactly!

Sensible elf, that Kivan

I always thought so :P

Until 1369 Meilikki didn’t have any druids - so I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures.

I'm not the first person to exercise artistic license and interpret 1369 as the year it became known that she'd accepted them.

#17 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

Imoen: I say that everyone should hide so that when she comes in she thinks we're all gone... then surprise her!

:twisted:

Imoen: Except when it comes to translating ancient scrolls.

Edwin: Well, you won't be there to help me, so don't complain! (I didn't say that out loud, did I?)

Imoen: I reckon it's better than being a wizard... you'd get to spend a lot more time outdoors.

Imoen: Not that I can't study outdoors, of course. And throw leaves at Eddie.

Imoen: Wish I had sibling I could hug like that... threatening to hug him is the sure way to make Tarant run away.

That's too bad.

BGH Imoen: Least he's not dead like my sister... still, Aerie gives good hugs at least.

Tarant: Brown, green... every spot in the forest looks the bloody same.

Edwin: Friend! (I didn't say that out loud, did I?)

Good chapter! Although my experience is that Jaheira and Edwin should never be within ten miles of each other.

Oh, I know that :twisted:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com