Ember's Tale 44: The Lady

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:25 PM

Chapter 44: The Lady

Ember crossed the bridge that led out of Baldur's gate at sunset. The road led south from that point, but she didn't follow it; instead, she walked straight ahead into the woods. In the fading twilight, she stumbled over roots and smacked into branches, but she doggedly continued onwards until she found a stream. She followed it for a while, feeling more than seeing her way between the trees, until she found a quiet pool at a point where the stream had curved in on itself.

There, she fell to her knees, and began to pray.

---

The trees were lit up by a soft, golden radiance. At first, Ember thought it was dawn, but then she looked up and saw that the sky was still black; stars glinted between the treetops. Must have dozed off, she thought. She sat up, and saw the source of the light; a small flame stood out of the ground in front of her, at the edge of the pool. It burned brighter than any fire she'd ever seen; more golden than red, and flickered slightly. A unicorn stood beside the flame. Its dark eyes regarded Ember kindly, and its pale coat shone in the light from the flame. A golden horn rose from its forehead.

"Is this a dream?" Ember asked.

"Perhaps," the unicorn said.

"Who are you?"

"You called. I have come."

Ember stared confusedly at the unicorn. "Is this a vision?" she asked.

"Perhaps," the unicorn said. Its mouth did not move when it spoke, Ember noticed.

Vision, dream; whatever it is, it is a response. As much has she'd hoped for one, she hadn't dared expect one. To get one so soon, and like this, was almost overwhelming. She forced herself to calm down and focus on the unicorn; she didn't have an actual answer yet, and it might as well be no as yes.

"Tell me, child, why do you seek the Quiet One?" the unicorn asked.

"There is too much death around me, and within me," Ember said. "I must change that."

"You realize that she cannot change you. She cannot take away what you are," the unicorn said.

"I know. I must change myself, understand myself better." Ember paused. "I wish to serve life," she said quietly. "I want to offer her my service, if she'll have it."

The unicorn nodded solemnly. "I see your heart, child. You speak truly. Know that the Mother of the Waters will not come. She cannot accept your pledge."

Ember's heart fell in her chest. "Wh-why not?" she asked.

"Your nature can never wholly mesh with hers. Her tenets would chafe you, yet she can tolerate no less. You would fail her, or you would break yourself trying to live up to her wishes; Eldath does not want a servant who will not be happy and fulfilled in his or her servitude. For you, a life in her service would ultimately only bring pain, for both of you."

"Must I follow my nature, then?" Ember asked despairingly.

"Child, you called; I came. Do you not wonder why? Do you know who I am?"

"I'm... I'm not sure," Ember said.

The unicorn looked at her, and blinked once, slowly. "I am the Lady of this forest. Of all forests. Do you know me now?"

Mielikki.

Ember nodded, her mouth very dry all of a sudden.

"You said you wished to serve life, and I saw truth in that. You did not wish to serve Eldath, or peace. Your heart desired to serve life and nature, through her guidance."

Ember nodded again.

"She will not have you, for you would have had to completely turn your life around to be hers, and would have been no closer to balance than you are now," the unicorn - the goddess - said. "I know you understand that death is a part of life's cycle. There can be no spring without winter."

"Or predators without prey," Ember said.

"Exactly," the unicorn said. "Predators can run wild, like the dire wolves have, and must then be dealt with; when things are as they should, they are a vital part of nature's balance."

"I am running wild," Ember said. "At least, that's what it feels like."

"But you are no dire wolf, and are not to be dealt with. I cannot tell you your place in things. What I can give you is the chance to serve life, to be a servant of nature. I can accept your pledge, in the very manner that you would offer it to Eldath."

Ember blinked. "But I didn't even call for you," she said, her voice edged with hope.

"Your heart called for me, child, even though you did not know it. I represent the manner in which you wish to serve, far more than the Quiet One or even the Oak Father. Thus, I came. My followers know combat, but they also know when to not fight. My followers know both life and death, and know when one should yield to the other. My followers know and protect nature, but also respect the world of people." The unicorn seemed to smile. "In my service, you could learn to find balance in yourself; moderate your own nature, rather than crush it."

"You'll... you'll have me?" Ember asked.

"You must cleanse your hands first."

Ember looked down and noticed with dismay that her hands were still dripping with blood. "I've tried," she said dejectedly. "It won't wash off."

"Nonetheless, you must be cleansed," the unicorn said, looking pointedly at her.

Ember stared at her hands in her lap. It's a test, isn't it? If I can't purge myself of this, I can't serve properly. She was tempted to try the pond, but somehow she suspected that not even the presence of a goddess would make water wash it off any more than it had in every night that had passed since the bandit camp. She closed her eyes and recalled how that had felt; the glee she'd felt as her sword had cut down the half-asleep bandits in the tent, a glee that had nothing to do with the joy of a good, clean fight. They'd been unarmored, defenseless. It'd been murder. In a way, it was surprising that they were not walking through her dreams, rather than her merely having their blood on her hands.

She recalled their visit to the Peaceman in his grove, how she'd felt when she stood near the giant tree. She'd vaguely contemplated this path ever since that moment, but as she'd felt herself change, she'd become more and more hesitant to act upon it. At the same time, their travels through forests and the things they'd seen in them had strengthened that wish. With the dreams of blood on her hands, she'd felt there was no choice until Elminster reminded her that there was. Who would have thought he'd ever say anything of use to me, she mused.

Her decision had been cemented yesterday, after the skirmish with Yago. The murderous impulse in her had been stronger than ever; she'd ached to skewer the old mage, and her Sharran sword had whispered under the roar in her veins. Forcing herself to not kill had felt like ripping herself apart; she'd known she couldn't continue with things the way they were. Still, I did manage to beat those impulses on my own yesterday, even though it was close.

She looked at her hands again. I have to purge them, so I can start over. And purge them I will. She reached towards the golden flame, and thrust her hands into it. The flame sparked and sputtered, and rose higher than before. The flames changed colour, becoming flickering reds and oranges with faint traces of smoke that hadn't been there before.

Ember gritted her teeth and kept her hands in the flame; the pain, near excruciating though it was, wasn't quite as bad as she'd imagined it'd be. She locked eyes with the unicorn, focusing on the deity rather than on the pain, and tried hard not to think about what the fire might be doing to her hands. The unicorn gazed back at her, an inscrutable look on her face.

Several minutes later, the flames turned golden again, and the traces of smoke vanished. Ember pulled her hands from the fire. They were whole, it seemed, and covered with a thick layer of ash. She immediately plunged them into the pool and sighed with relief as they cooled down. The pain faded almost immediately.

Ember held her hands in the water for a little longer than what felt necessary, then pulled them out. She stared confusedly at them; the ashes had not been washed away, but had absorbed water and become a black, viscous substance that coated her hands as thoroughly as the original blood had. She picked at the black liquid; it felt slick, and clung to her skin. She looked at the unicorn, who looked back.

I guess I can't discard it that easily, she thought. There must be some meaning to this. She looked around, and noticed a bare patch of earth between herself and the flame. Memory stirred in her of Winthrop sprinkling ashes on his wife's flower beds, to make them grow better. Can't hurt to try, she thought, and dug her hands into the bare patch. The soil was loose and slightly dry, and moved easily between her fingers. She buried her hands as far as the black coating covered them.

Something moved between her fingers. It felt like worms or tendrils of some sort, but wasn't wholly unpleasant. The surface of the bare patch broke, and tiny green stems worked their way out of the dirt. Leaves unfurled from the stems as they grew, and the tips of the stems swelled into buds. By the time the growth stopped, the bare patch had been replaced by a cluster of white flowers.

Ember carefully pulled her hands out from the soil under the flowers. Her hands were clean.

The unicorn seemed to be smiling at her. "Well done, child," she said. "Close your eyes, and I will show you what you must do."

---

When Ember woke up, it truly was dawn; the clouds were golden like the flame in her dream, and the sky had taken on pink hues. She frowned slightly; she could recall the dreamvision perfectly, but she didn't really feel different. Nothing felt different.

Was it just a dream, after all?

She glanced around, and her eyes fell upon a patch of glimmering white flowers that she was reasonably certain had not been there the night before.

She sat up. The faint clinking sound of her chainmail reminded her of the presence of her armour; she'd forgotten she was still wearing it. Metal, she realized. I shouldn't be wearing this much metal anymore. She took the armor off, closed her eyes, and tried to listen to what her other senses told her.

Shortly thereafter she was laying back on the grass that surrounded the pool, laughing with relief and delight.

#2 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:43 PM

The trees were lit up by a soft, golden radiance. At first, Ember thought it was dawn, but then she looked up and saw that the sky was still black; stars glinted between the treetops. Must have dozed off, she thought. She sat up, and saw the source of the light; a small flame stood out of the ground in front of her, at the edge of the pool. It burned brighter than any fire she'd ever seen; more golden than red, and flickered slightly. A unicorn stood beside the flame. Its dark eyes regarded Ember kindly, and its pale coat shone in the light from the flame. A golden horn rose from its forehead.

Hi, Mielikki! :evil:

"Your nature can never wholly mesh with hers. Her tenets would chafe you, yet she can tolerate no less. You would fail her, or you would break yourself trying to live up to her wishes; Eldath does not want a servant who will not be happy and fulfilled in his or her servitude. For you, a life in her service would ultimately only bring pain, for both of you."

Lady makes sense.

"Exactly," the unicorn said. "Predators can run wild, like the dire wolves have, and must then be dealt with; when things are as they should, they are a vital part of nature's balance."

Balance is nice. Yay for balance!

She looked at her hands again. I have to purge them, so I can start over. And purge them I will. She reached towards the golden flame, and thrust her hands into it. The flame sparked and sputtered, and rose higher than before. The flames changed colour, becoming flickering reds and oranges with faint traces of smoke that hadn't been there before.

Ember gritted her teeth and kept her hands in the flame; the pain, near excruciating though it was, wasn't quite as bad as she'd imagined it'd be. She locked eyes with the unicorn, focusing on the deity rather than on the pain, and tried hard not to think about what the fire might be doing to her hands. The unicorn gazed back at her, an inscrutable look on her face.

Several minutes later, the flames turned golden again, and the traces of smoke vanished. Ember pulled her hands from the fire. They were whole, it seemed, and covered with a thick layer of ash. She immediately plunged them into the pool and sighed with relief as they cooled down. The pain faded almost immediately.

Ember held her hands in the water for a little longer than what felt necessary, then pulled them out. She stared confusedly at them; the ashes had not been washed away, but had absorbed water and become a black, viscous substance that coated her hands as thoroughly as the original blood had. She picked at the black liquid; it felt slick, and clung to her skin. She looked at the unicorn, who looked back.

I guess I can't discard it that easily, she thought. There must be some meaning to this. She looked around, and noticed a bare patch of earth between herself and the flame. Memory stirred in her of Winthrop sprinkling ashes on his wife's flower beds, to make them grow better. Can't hurt to try, she thought, and dug her hands into the bare patch. The soil was loose and slightly dry, and moved easily between her fingers. She buried her hands as far as the black coating covered them.

Something moved between her fingers. It felt like worms or tendrils of some sort, but wasn't wholly unpleasant. The surface of the bare patch broke, and tiny green stems worked their way out of the dirt. Leaves unfurled from the stems as they grew, and the tips of the stems swelled into buds. By the time the growth stopped, the bare patch had been replaced by a cluster of white flowers.

Still loving the mysticalness (mysticality?) of the entire thing. ;)

She sat up. The faint clinking sound of her chainmail reminded her of the presence of her armour; she'd forgotten she was still wearing it. Metal, she realized. I shouldn't be wearing this much metal anymore. She took the armor off, closed her eyes, and tried to listen to what her other senses told her.

Yeah, metal's noisy and heavy. Leather or just cloth is much better.

Huzzah for gods! Heh.

#3 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:39 PM

Whoa... that was really good! I'd offer more of a comment, but... words escape me. All I can say is... whoa :evil:

So vivid and descriptive and... I almost felt like I was there. So, yeah... whoa ;)

#4 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

Ember crossed the bridge that led out of Baldur's gate at sunset. The road led south from that point, but she didn't follow it; instead, she walked straight ahead into the woods. In the fading twilight, she stumbled over roots and smacked into branches, but she doggedly continued onwards until she found a stream. She followed it for a while, feeling more than seeing her way between the trees, until she found a quiet pool at a point where the stream had curved in on itself.

Ooh... A bit of soul seaching?

They react fast, these gods.

The unicorn nodded solemnly. "I see your heart, child. You speak truly. Know that the Mother of the Waters will not come. She cannot accept your pledge."

Ouch...

Mielikki.

Ember nodded, her mouth very dry all of a sudden.

"You said you wished to serve life, and I saw truth in that. You did not wish to serve Eldath, or peace. Your heart desired to serve life and nature, through her guidance."

Intresting.

Ow.. Gods and thier silly demands...

Ember carefully pulled her hands out from the soil under the flowers. Her hands were clean.

That was some dirt, at least Ember will be able to rest easier now.

Shortly thereafter she was laying back on the grass that surrounded the pool, laughing with relief and delight.

Yay! *thumbs up*

#5 Guest_sparrow_*

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:45 PM

Lovely powerful chapter with lots of great imagery. :evil: Thanks Cel! *scurries off to find out who Eldath is*

#6 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:10 AM

Ditto on the other readers' sentiments. Very nice allegorical work. Having a really intense religious experience, like the one portrayed here isn't something a lot of people can really claim they've had, but you do a good job creating one that seems plausible.

The entire dream is one huge, extended metaphor, and yet it makes perfect sense given the context of what's gone before. More than that, it simply fits the character.

I can't say I expected her to go the path of the ranger, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, given her choice of mentor, too.

#7 Guest_Radish_*

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:18 AM

And so it all comes together. Rather stupendous. Not many people get such personal attention from a deity. Well done.

Though I'm going to get technical again (feel free to ignore) and mention that rangers don't have any spiritual issues with metal armor. Though that's assuming she hasn't become a druid, but even then Mieliki is more lenient than other nature deities and her druids are allowed to wear/wield anything a ranger can.

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:41 AM

Hi, Mielikki! :lol:

Well, you knew that already :lol:

Lady makes sense.

You don't get to be a nature goddess if you're a doofus.

Balance is nice. Yay for balance!

Is chocolate part of a balanced breakfast?

Still loving the mysticalness (mysticality?) of the entire thing. :lol:

Glad you still like it, even without the changes that didn't work :lol:

Yeah, metal's noisy and heavy. Leather or just cloth is much better.

I'm thinking of it kind of like a faraday cage that blocks the connection.

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:41 AM

Whoa... that was really good! I'd offer more of a comment, but... words escape me. All I can say is... whoa :lol:

So vivid and descriptive and... I almost felt like I was there. So, yeah... whoa :lol:

Thank you :lol: I've basically been preparing to write this chapter since January :lol:

#10 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:45 AM

Ditto on the other readers' sentiments. Very nice allegorical work. Having a really intense religious experience, like the one portrayed here isn't something a lot of people can really claim they've had, but you do a good job creating one that seems plausible.

Thanks :lol: I was very worried about getting this chapter wrong, as I've had it in mind since I started writing this thing.

The entire dream is one huge, extended metaphor, and yet it makes perfect sense given the context of what's gone before. More than that, it simply fits the character.

Yay!

I can't say I expected her to go the path of the ranger, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, given her choice of mentor, too.

Will you be terribly surprised if I point out that she has not become a ranger? :lol: (I was a bit vague on purpose, though. Next chapter will clarify things much better)

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:51 AM

Ooh... A bit of soul seaching?

She already did the searching. This is more like soul acting :lol:

They react fast, these gods.

Not so fast that she didn't pray pretty much all night :D I thought about making her wait a couple days, but decided that'd be a bit too mean and tedious and that most deities would be intrigued by gaining a Bhaalspawn follower :lol:

Ouch...

That's what happens when you're not a peacehugging hippie, you know.

Intresting.

And your conclusion was..? :lol:

Ow.. Gods and thier silly demands...

Actually, not so silly if you think about it. This is (perhaps) a dream, after all.

That was some dirt, at least Ember will be able to rest easier now.

Yep, no more bloody hands in her dreams every night :lol: Just regular Bhaal dreams from now on :)

#12 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:00 AM

Lovely powerful chapter with lots of great imagery. :lol: Thanks Cel! *scurries off to find out who Eldath is*

Thank you :lol:

Eldath: lesser power, guardian of druid groves and of quiet water, waterfalls, stillness and peace. Has druids and clerics, but they are all very pacifistic and rely on defensive spells and misleading people and such tactics and shun weapons if possible. Ember might want that kind of lifestyle right now, but it's for the wrong reasons, and she just isn't cut out to be a 100% pacifist.

Mielikki: lesser power, guardian of forests, rangers, dryads and autumn, a bit friendlier about the Balance than Silvanus is. Has clerics and druids and rangers (and ranger/druids), and most of them are "human and half-elf women of battle experience, passionate character, and adventuring interests." So I sent her in instead of Eldath :lol:

#13 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:11 AM

And so it all comes together. Rather stupendous. Not many people get such personal attention from a deity. Well done.

Thank you :lol:

Though I'm going to get technical again (feel free to ignore) and mention that rangers don't have any spiritual issues with metal armor. Though that's assuming she hasn't become a druid, but even then Mieliki is more lenient than other nature deities and her druids are allowed to wear/wield anything a ranger can.

Well, if we're going to get technical, there is no fighter/ranger dual class option in Baldur's Gate :lol:

In the name of artistic license, I felt that letting her use anything and wear anything (although a dualclass can wear plate in BG) just because of the deity made the dualclassing too easy. I wanted there to be some sacrifice involved, so I'm limiting her to natural armors and druid weapons (also means I can play her in BG without having to mod all the weapon files!)
On the other hand, her alignment is Neutral Good (Much easier to mod that) :lol:

#14 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

Chapter 44: The Lady

Meilikki (or Lurue?).

"Is this a dream?" Ember asked.

"Perhaps," the unicorn said.

"Who are you?"

"You called. I have come."

"Perhaps," the unicorn said. Its mouth did not move when it spoke, Ember noticed.

I get the feeling we're not in Baldur's Gate (or Kansas) anymore, Toto.

Vision, dream; whatever it is, it is a response. As much has she'd hoped for one, she hadn't dared expect one. To get one so soon, and like this, was almost overwhelming.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

Not really a deity that Ember would suit, and not because of the Bhallspawn thing but because of her human side. She's just not cut out to be passive like a proper Eldathyn.

But as a special one-time-only offer you can worship ME instead. :lol:

Mielikki.

Nice horn.

snip...

The unicorn seemed to be smiling at her. "Well done, child," she said. "Close your eyes, and I will show you what you must do."

Lovely sequence. Really well written, with hints of the otherwordly and the mundane.

She glanced around, and her eyes fell upon a patch of glimmering white flowers that she was reasonably certain had not been there the night before.

It might just be me, but I'm not sure that lying on your back giggling is a normal response to a divine visitation. :lol:

This is a great chapter. The only problem I have with it is this. Doesn't this count as interference by Meilikki? Which Ao has forbidden? Should Meilikki get a yellow card for this? :lol:

And there's a slight amount of disappointment that yet another Bhaalspawn has fallen from the true path of hitting things a lot and started to learn other skills.

#15 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

I get the feeling we're not in Baldur's Gate (or Kansas) anymore, Toto.

It'ssss... Dreamland! :D

Not really a deity that Ember would suit, and not because of the Bhallspawn thing but because of her human side. She's just not cut out to be passive like a proper Eldathyn.

That's exactly why I refused to let her worship Eldath, despite her massive protests :lol:

But as a special one-time-only offer you can worship ME instead. :D

Hehe, I'd expected more people to comment on the oddity of that :D This would not have happened if she'd been trying to become a cleric, as I see them as very deity oriented. Druids, on the other hand, I see as nature oriented, and they just need a deity to grant them the gifts that they serve the larger cause with. This is why I let Mielikki answer her prayer when Eldath refused :lol:

Needless to say, I was very worried about this deity switch coming across as hokey and/or sue-ish, but I liked the idea so much that there was no going back once it'd gotten into my head.

Mielikki.

Nice horn.

And she can toot it, too!
(I basically moved the point where she started to accept druids ahead by a year or two)

Lovely sequence. Really well written, with hints of the otherwordly and the mundane.

Glad you liked it :)

It might just be me, but I'm not sure that lying on your back giggling is a normal response to a divine visitation. :lol:

Heh, she's just being happy and a bit pumped up on adrenaline :D

This is a great chapter. The only problem I have with it is this. Doesn't this count as interference by Meilikki? Which Ao has forbidden? Should Meilikki get a yellow card for this? :lol:

That's another thing I thought about, and that's why I had the unicorn tell her a couple times that she could not be fixed by any deity she prayed to. However, I think there is a difference between interfering, and between merely accepting someone's offer of servitude, and this is a case of the latter (after all, Bhaalspawn clerics, druids, and paladins could not exist unless the spawn were allowed to apply as other people). Mielikki cannot lift a finger to affect Ember, but she is welcome to grant druidic powers if properly asked.

And there's a slight amount of disappointment that yet another Bhaalspawn has fallen from the true path of hitting things a lot and started to learn other skills.

Alaeth: If you want the Ember who didn't do this; that's what she keeps me around for.

Ember was planned this way from long before I started writing; I play a lot of druids, and this particular fighter/druid is based on one that I played over the summer last year; first in BG2, then in BG1. I'm playing her a second time as I write this story :D

#16 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:25 AM

Oh, I didn't see that coming, yet I can believe that you did. Very nice.

#17 Guest_Finduilas_*

Posted 30 September 2006 - 02:52 AM

Very nice chapter, quite inventive and evocative. I thought the 'cleansing of the hands' scene was particularly well done.

I didn't think the 'deity switch' came off as the least bit hokey. It makes perfect sense that Ember would look for a deity that is the exact opposite of the side of her nature that scares her so much. But Mielikki is right that in the end it wouldn't suit her at all.

Good job!

#18 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:38 AM

Oh, I didn't see that coming, yet I can believe that you did. Very nice.

Thank you :) And that's pretty much exactly how expected I wanted this to be :lol:

#19 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:39 AM

Very nice chapter, quite inventive and evocative. I thought the 'cleansing of the hands' scene was particularly well done.

I've been mentally writing it for at least half a year :lol:

I didn't think the 'deity switch' came off as the least bit hokey. It makes perfect sense that Ember would look for a deity that is the exact opposite of the side of her nature that scares her so much. But Mielikki is right that in the end it wouldn't suit her at all.

*phew*

Good job!

Thank you :)

#20 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:07 AM

Hmm, a unicorn… I suppose it tells us something about Ember. :D

A pacifist Bhaalspawn… erm, can you see that working out well? :)

The unicorn looked at her, and blinked once, slowly. "I am the Lady of this forest. Of all forests. Do you know me now?"

Mielikki.

Theo: Yeah, she’s my Boss, too. Very gentle and pretty, as far as bosses go you cannot do much better. Even if she tried her hardest to get me to ascend.

"Your heart called for me, child, even though you did not know it. I represent the manner in which you wish to serve, far more than the Quiet One or even the Oak Father. Thus, I came. My followers know combat, but they also know when to not fight."

Theo: And let’s not forget that Silvanus is still her boss, that old dumb stick. Jaheira really enjoys reminding me of that now and then. :)

Ember looked down and noticed with dismay that her hands were still dripping with blood. "I've tried," she said dejectedly. "It won't wash off."

"Nonetheless, you must be cleansed," the unicorn said, looking pointedly at her.

Don’t let the crazy unicorn cut off your hands, Ember! Err…

She recalled their visit to the Peaceman in his grove, how she'd felt when she stood near the giant tree. She'd vaguely contemplated this path ever since that moment, but as she'd felt herself change, she'd become more and more hesitant to act upon it. At the same time, their travels through forests and the things they'd seen in them had strengthened that wish. With the dreams of blood on her hands, she'd felt there was no choice until Elminster reminded her that there was. Who would have thought he'd ever say anything of use to me, she mused.

Sheer accident, I suspect. As always, he was talking out of his arse and accidentally got one right. :D

The Unicorn: Err… what are you doing?

Ember: *gasp* Cleansing myself… I was supposed to be doing this, right?

The Unicorn: :lol:

That was a really nice test, though. :lol:

When Ember woke up, it truly was dawn; the clouds were golden like the flame in her dream, and the sky had taken on pink hues. She frowned slightly; she could recall the dreamvision perfectly, but she didn't really feel different. Nothing felt different.

Theo: No, it’s something else… more real. Much more real…

She sat up. The faint clinking sound of her chainmail reminded her of the presence of her armour; she'd forgotten she was still wearing it. Metal, she realized. I shouldn't be wearing this much metal anymore.

Helps with the not dying bit, though...

Some of the armor restriction rules did not make too much sense to me… fortunately, with Jaheira and Theo I can solve it by giving them dragonscale armors - rangers and druids have no issues with wearing that. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com