The Raven's Tale: Chapter Forty-Seven:

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:17 PM

The Raven’s Tale: Chapter Forty-Seven:

“C-Corris?” It was Aerie’s voice. She was sitting beside Corris on a long stone bench. Their backs were to one of the decorative fountains that were common in the Government District.

“Yeah?” Corris’ head was hung, and she played absently with one of the straps on her armour.

“Corris, w-why did you get so mad?”

She stood. “Y’know I hate bein’ called ‘Little One.’”

Aerie gave Corris a small smile. “I – uh – don’t quite think that’s it, Corris. I. . . I know that those s-sort of sayings aren’t nice –“

“Nice?” Corris gave a bitter laugh. “Oh, come off it, Aerie. A good chunk o’me knows exactly why Kalat did what he did. It’s always fun when nothing’s right for you, not even a chair, or a bed. . . “

*Hmm. . . I can see how she would be frustrated by this. It is true that many places do not cater to the Little Folk.*

*I suppose, Numel.* I wasn’t really impressed. If all she had gotten mad about was a height comment. . . I didn’t find that impressive in the slightest.

Corris’hands were balled. “But no. That ain’t it.”

“T-then . . . what was it?”

*Ah. I wondered. It did seem too strong a reaction, otherwise.*

*Hush, Numel.*

“Aerie,” Corris shook her head. “I’ve just had too many idiots call me that. And most’ve ‘em were right bastards. ‘Specially Isaea.”

*Ah. I knew there was something there.*

*Mistress, it was not a hard deduction to make. . . considering they had already mentioned that they knew of the man, and of his involvement in the slave trade?* Numel was trying for the cute-and-innocent look. It didn’t work.

*You’re a brat.*

*Mistress!* Numel sent a clear message of mock contriteness.

*Just hush. I want to hear this.*

“Oh, Corris.* Aerie put an arm around her friend. “S-so that’s what’s got you so upset. W-well, don’t worry. I’m sure Elshana can deal with him.”

*Great. When did I become the hero!*

*You do have a talent for picking up strays, Mistress.* Numel was smirking again.

*Shut up!*

Corris snickered again. “’Little Ellie?’ I’m sure she’d be more then willing ta help, Aerie. But ya keep believin’ that she’s gonna fix everything, and that’s gonna get us hurt.”

Aerie blinked. “B-but she seems nice enough. . . “

“Aerie. . .” Corris shook her head. “Look. Point is, we’ve got a bastard to kill. We’ll rescue the girl, get Ellie patched up, and go from there.”

*She makes it sound so simple.* Numel sent. *Odd, that.*

I gave a mental shrug. There were people so confident in their abilities that they had that sort of attitude, but it wasn’t quite what I would have expected out of Corris, though.

“Corris, are you sure?”

“’Course I’m sure, Aerie.” Corris gave a lopsided grin. “When am I not sure?” she added with a shrug.

There was more to it then that. I knew it from reactions – there was something left unsaid. I balled a hand in frustration. Why did people have to play their cards so close?

*Mistress, many could say the same about you.*

*I --* It was true. I kept information about myself and my companions out of the stagelight as much as I could. Considering Corris’ skills and attitudes, it was quite possible she was trying to do the same. *I guess I’m on the other side of the fence.*

*Indeed. Mistress, I would let the matter --*

Numel’s sending jumbled in my brain. *Numel?* I felt my legs give way, and managed to catch myself on the cobbled street. *Numel?*

“Fool child!” Jaheira came running up and put a hand on my shoulder. I heard the lilt of a healing spell. “You should be resting!”

I shook my head, black hair hanging down over my eyes. Bad idea. . . . very bad idea . . *Numel?*

*Here, Mistress.* He flew over and landed beside me, eyeing me reproachfully. The dizziness faded as Jaheira crouched down beside me.

“Child, you have been pushing yourself far too hard.”

“Jaheira. . . “

“No. You need to rest.” I knew that face. That was Jaheira’s ‘determined’ face. And that meant, come hell, high water, or frustrated Elshana, she’d get her way, and the best I’d get is a lesson in futility. I sighed. “Fine, fine, I’ll try. But I’ve got members of my group out there that I need to talk to.”

“Indeed.” Jaheira sighed at me. “I suppose that is the best I can expect from a stubborn child.” There was a smile playing at the corners of her mouth.

“E-Elshana!” It was Aerie’s voice. I could only assume Corris was with her. “W-what? Oooh, are you alright?”

“She will be fine for the moment, Aerie.”

“T-that’s good to know. Oooh! That Isaea, doing this to you.”

Corris simply raised an eyebrow. “This surprises you? The man’s a bastard.”

I sat up, tired of playing games. “And you know him somehow. Beyond his rather obvious reputation.” Jaheira put a hand on my shoulder.

“Yeah, I do.” Corris put her hands on her hips. “But I don’t see why that matters. I’m telling ya what I know ‘bout the man – hells, I can take a guess at the layout of his place, but I don’t see that my history with that bastard is any o’ your business. C’mon, Ellie, you’re not telling us your entire life story, so why should I? You’re jus’ telling us the important stuff.” She cocked her head and grinned. “Jus’ like me.”

I sighed. Corris was right, in a way. It was none of my business how she knew the man, -- though I somehow doubted they had been fast friends. Numel gave a sarcastic chuckle. And as long as she was willing to use her knowledge to help us sort this out, it shouldn’t have been a problem. . . but I didn’t know, and had no way of knowing, what she wasn’t telling. And what she wasn’t telling might just prove pivotal. I wanted to trust her judgement. . . but. . .

*Hah. I wouldn’t. You’ve seen how she judges things, Mistress, you saw how easily those knives came to hand.*

*Yes, but I also saw her regrets, too.* I sighed. “Corris. . . " I wanted to voice my concerns about unknown information. “Corris, you’re right. It is your own business. But I don’t know what you know, and you might know something – you don’t think it’s important – that turns out to be pivotal.” I stood up and brushed at my skirt, Anomen took my elbow and I smiled at him. Normally I would be annoyed at his presumption, but I was grateful for the support; my legs were still wobbling. “You have to understand, we need to know what you know of him.”

Corris frowned. “Ellie. . . “

Aerie put a hand on her friends shoulder. “Corris, h-he’s the one who did this to her. . . I think, uhm, I think we can trust her.”

Corris looked up at Aerie. “Ya can explain what y’know. . . .” She sighed. “I’ll explain the leftovers.” She looked at me with her dark eyes. “Ya ain’t gonna like this, though, little Ellie.”

*When did I ever?* I mused. At least it would be an explanation.

Corris nodded and began heading back to the inn. “I’ll explain when we’re alone. I don’t wanna have some moron in hearin’ range.”

I nodded. That I agreed with, and was willing to take as a condition, to find out what was going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com