Ember's Tale 42: An Offer that Can't Be Refused

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:02 AM

Chapter 42: An Offer that Can't Be Refused

"That was completely unnecessary," Edwin growled at Coran as they left the Helm and Cloak Inn. After dinner, Coran had settled down at the bar, where he'd made friends with a group of adventurers led by a man named Gorpel Hind. They'd made so good friends, in fact, that when a third group, the Maulers of the Undermountain, had shown up and demanded that everyone else leave the bar, Coran had told them off in no uncertain terms. A brawl had ensued.

"And you really didn't have to tell that Gorpel Hind about Cloakwood," Ember added.

"Where was the harm in that? They enjoyed the tale, even though they didn't believe a word of it," Coran protested. He limped slightly.

"You didn't know them," Imoen pointed out. "For all you knew they could have been Iron Throne agents."

"Their doggies tried to bite me!" Alora exclaimed.

"No girl will become a doggie snack while Minsc and Boo look on!" Minsc proclaimed.

Alora giggled. "Save me you did! Did you see how they ran away when you shouted at them?" Minsc beamed at her, and nodded enthusiastically.

"All in all, there was no harm done, I'd say," Coran said. "None of us were seriously hurt, and we taught some blowhards a lesson. Invigorating, that's what it was!"

Ember slowly shook her head. "Let's just get back to the Elfsong," she said. "I'm tired."

As they passed a cluster of houses near the inn, a young man dressed in dark brown approached them. "'Ere, stop a moment. I've got a word or two ye need to hear," he said.

Ember froze. "And what words might that be?" she asked carefully.

The young man looked them over and nodded to himself. "Aye, you're a fine group o' mercenaries are you? Leastwise that's the word on the street. I've a boss who'd like to have a word wit you if you can spare the time. He don't ask fer free though, and here be 50 gold just to hear him out."

"50 gold just to listen? A fair deal, lead on," Coran said.

"A wise choice o' action," the young man said with a grin. "Now just follow me, an' I'll show ya the way ta the Guild. If yer asked the password, it's 'Fafhrd'. When yer in the guild just look fer the man named Ravenscar." He led them to a nearby house, opened the door, and gestured for them to enter.

Behind the door was a dark corridor. As soon as the door was closed behind them, a voice asked, "Password?"

"Fafhrd," Coran said.

"Enter," the voice said, and they continued onwards.

As soon as they entered the next room, which was sparsely furnitured and lit by a single candle, Edwin grabbed Coran by the scruff of his neck. "What have you gotten us into now, elf?"

"That was very rash," Kivan added.

"Oh come now, what's the harm in just listening?" Coran said. He pried Edwin's hand from his collar, and opened the door to next room. This was a much larger chamber, and there were a dozen or so people within, all glowering at the newcomers. Ember reached tentatively for her weapon; around her, her companions were doing the same.

"Um, excuse me?" Alora said in her most timid voice. "Is Ravenscar at home?"

A large man, almost as large as Minsc, entered from a side chamber. His clothes were dark yet flamboyant, and three white scar lines crossed his left eye. "Welcome, my little friends!" he said, raising a hand in greeting. "Please relax, and keep your weapons at your sides. No need for hostility." He made a small hand gesture, and the others in the room backed away, vanishing into the shadows.

"I must apologize for the manner of my thieves," the man said. "I suppose a thieves' guild must keep a measure of malice about it, but it does tend to put a cloud over introductions. I am Alatos Thuibuld, though I thank you not to mention that too often; you may call me Ravenscar. You are Ember of Candlekeep, of course," he said, looking at Ember. "Be not surprised, there are very few people in Balder's Gate I cannot name. You have been here for only a few days, and have already made quite a stir."

Ember stared puzzledly at Ravenscar. "Your interest in me is flattering, though I question your intent," she said.

"Oh I don't intend to flatter, merely to assure you that you have been watched since you entered the city. As for my intent, I do have a proposition for your group to consider. A small task really, best suited to someone unknown here."

"We are not interested in your organization, or in working for it. You will have to look elsewhere," Kivan said.

"I'm afraid it is not that simple, though it never is, is it?" Ravenscar said. "You see, you have been allowed into the inner chambers of my guild, you have met me, and you have seen a number of other members. While this knowledge might not directly benefit you, if made known to the guard it would certainly harm me. I submit to you that I cannot allow this information to leave with someone... not of good standing with the guild. Your choice is somewhat limited in this manner. Choose wisely."

Ember sighed. "What exactly is it you would have us do?" she asked.

"And what would be our reward for this service?" Edwin added.

Ravenscar grinned. "It's quite the bit of intrigue actually. A local wizard by the name of Shandolar makes his home in a moored Halruaan skyship. It would appear that he has the knowledge to reproduce these flying marvels, and is currently organizing the sale of the recipe to Grand Duchess Liia Jannath. He has drawn up a set of rituals, and has procured an artifact fragment and an ancient statuette vital to the spell that keeps the ships aloft. These he has divided amongst his daughters until the deal is to proceed."

"I have been contacted by a representative of the Halruaans," he continued, "and they have no wish to see scores of flying ships manufactured in every port. You are to infiltrate the place of exchange, steal the ingredients, and return here with them. Simple enough. You would be well paid. Enough gold to give you a backache and, if I am well pleased, mayhaps a magical weapon or two. Perhaps a little more, perhaps a little less. It entirely depends upon your performance."

Coran stepped forward. "Seems a fairly straightforward bit of burglary, and well within my ability," he said, grinning every bit as broadly as Ravenscar. "I accept this challenge!"

"A wise decision!" Ravenscar said. "Informants have told me that the Duchess intends to take possession of the components in exactly a tenday, and the exchange will be hosted by Oberon at his estate. Good luck."

"(We will need it,)" Edwin muttered.

Ravenscar dismissed the group, and they headed back to the street. Ember was fuming; they had been all but forced to take this job, and it was not a task she would have accepted if she'd been allowed a choice.

"'What's the harm in just listening,' you said," she told Coran angrily. "You said you could do this; you'd better be as good as your word."

"Don't worry," Coran said, sounding a little less confident than he had inside. "I have a plan."

---

Coran was gone a very long time, and the rest were starting to get impatient when the elf finally returned.

"Well?" Edwin asked.

"They keep the items in plain sight, on a table in their study," Coran said.

"Any wards or traps?" Imoen asked.

"None that I saw," Coran said.

"I'll keep an eye out for them," Imoen said. "What about the girls?"

"They were all sitting in the study, but I should be able to distract them enough to make them leave the room," Coran said, flashing a grin. "I'll present myself as an infatuated suitor, bedazzled by their looks and wit!"

"(That shouldn't be too difficult, even for him,)" Edwin muttered.

"We have enough invisibility potions. Alora, are you ready?" Imoen asked.

"Like a bumbling bee!" Alora replied cheerfully. "This will be so much fun!"

Imoen smiled at the halfling. "Yeah, it will, won't it?" She handed a potion to Alora, who drank it and instantly vanished, and swallowed a similar potion herself.

"Follow me, ladies," Coran said, and sauntered into the Oberon estate as though he didn't have a care in the world.

Ember sighed deeply. "If anything happens to them, I'll hold him personally responsible," she said, clenching the hilt of her sword. There were too many risks in this plan. What if Alora or Imoen lost their invisibility at the wrong time? What if Coran couldn't lure the mage's daughters away? What if there was a trap Imoen couldn't handle? What if Alora dropped something?

"If we are lucky, the magelings will leave the room whilst chasing the elf out of the house," Edwin said. "(If we're extra lucky, they may even kill him.)"

"Coran is reckless," Kivan said. "Too reckless, often. If this continues, we should ask him to leave."

"I agree," Ember and Edwin said simultaneously.

"Boo thinks Coran means well," Minsc said, "but he does not approve of the elf putting little Imoen and tiny Alora in danger where Minsc cannot watch over them. It's not right!"

"We shall discuss matters with him as soon as this Halruuan affair has been dealt with," Kivan said.

They waited in silence; other than Minsc telling Boo not to fret about the girls, nobody spoke. The night air grew cooler. Soon, fog rolled in from the sea, thick enough that it became difficult to see across the street.

"(Finally!)" Edwin said quietly. A single figure sauntered towards them with Coran's unmistakable gait. Behind him, there were two odd swirls in the fog.

"Success," Coran said, grinning.

"We have all the thingies!" Alora's voice said from the fog. "They're not very pretty but oh do they look interesting!"

Ember smiled; tense muscles in her shoulders relaxed as relief filled her. I guess I won't have to kill Coran tonight after all. "Let's return to the Elfsong and rest. That Halruuan can stand to wait till morning."

They slowly made their way through the fog to the Elfsong tavern - Imoen and Alora became visible again when they were half way there - and retired to their rooms. None of them stirred till late in the morning, and they didn't return to the thieves' guild until almost midday.

"Well done, if I do say so myself!" Ravenscar said as he surveyed the items, which had been placed on the table before him. "A fine bit of burglary with no unnecessary attention brought to yourself. This is Resar, my Halruaan contact," he said, indicating a tall man in orange mage robes that stood beside him. "He is well pleased, and will now see to your reward."

Resar stepped forward. "Alatos was most assuring in his description of your abilities. Right he was, and it is unfortunate I must close all loose ends. This includes potential loose tongues, and though talented, you are also expendable. I offer my sorrows, but you must die!"

Alora squealed.

The mage raised his hands and chanted rapidly.

Kivan raised his bow, and fired.

The chanting ceased. Seconds later, there was a soft thunk as Resar's body collapsed to the floor.

Behind the fallen mage, Ravenscar cleared his throat. "So you've killed the Halruuan," he said. "Well, don't take it personally that I let him attack you; he was a powerful mage, and there was little I could do to dissuade him from killing you. You have my apologies for the entire incident."

"That's not good enough," Ember said quietly. "We want our payment."

"You just killed your employer," Ravenscar pointed out. "Have his belongings, if you will. I owe you nothing."

"You are a cheater!" Alora cried, throwing herself at the thief and hitting him with her small fists as tears gushed from her eyes. Without too much roughness, Ravenscar pried her from his legs.

"I have business to attend to," the thief said. "Resar's belongings are in that chest. Take them, and leave." He stalked out of the room; Imoen and Edwin immediately searched the room for valuables, and were able to find several wands, potions and trinkets.

"Why'd you hit him like that?" Ember asked Alora as they left the guild. "I'd think him too large for you to hurt with your fists."

Alora gave Ember a mischievous look, and showed her a heavy coin purse. "Pay us, he did!" she said, giggling delightedly.

#2 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:38 AM

"And you really didn't have to tell that Gorpel Hind about Cloakwood," Ember added.

"Where was the harm in that? They enjoyed the tale, even though they didn't believe a word of it," Coran protested. He limped slightly.

Ha! So he got hurt!

You.... you have alot more then 50 gold by now...

"I'm afraid it is not that simple, though it never is, is it?" Ravenscar said. "You see, you have been allowed into the inner chambers of my guild, you have met me, and you have seen a number of other members. While this knowledge might not directly benefit you, if made known to the guard it would certainly harm me. I submit to you that I cannot allow this information to leave with someone... not of good standing with the guild. Your choice is somewhat limited in this manner. Choose wisely."

I never really understood why thieves would need a bunch of people that arn`t thieves. Couldn`t they just bring some outside guy in?

"I'll keep an eye out for them," Imoen said. "What about the girls?"

"They were all sitting in the study, but I should be able to distract them enough to make them leave the room," Coran said, flashing a grin. "I'll present myself as an infatuated suitor, bedazzled by their looks and wit!"

Eurgh... three mages...

"Well done, if I do say so myself!" Ravenscar said as he surveyed the items, which had been placed on the table before him. "A fine bit of burglary with no unnecessary attention brought to yourself. This is Resar, my Halruaan contact," he said, indicating a tall man in orange mage robes that stood beside him. "He is well pleased, and will now see to your reward."

I don`t really remember if he or Ediwn reacted to each other. Halruaa and Thay are not exactly on friendly terms IIRC.

Resar stepped forward. "Alatos was most assuring in his description of your abilities. Right he was, and it is unfortunate I must close all loose ends. This includes potential loose tongues, and though talented, you are also expendable. I offer my sorrows, but you must die!"

Doesn`t all "loose ends" involve the thieves guild as well?

"Why'd you hit him like that?" Ember asked Alora as they left the guild. "I'd think him too large for you to hurt with your fists."

Alora gave Ember a mischievous look, and showed her a heavy coin purse. "Pay us, he did!" she said, giggling delightedly.

Psshh... You don`t let theives near you Ravenscar!

#3 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:57 AM

Chapter 42: An Offer that Can't Be Refused

"That was completely unnecessary," Edwin growled at Coran as they left the Helm and Cloak Inn. After dinner, Coran had settled down at the bar, where he'd made friends with a group of adventurers led by a man named Gorpel Hind. They'd made so good friends, in fact, that when a third group, the Maulers of the Undermountain, had shown up and demanded that everyone else leave the bar, Coran had told them off in no uncertain terms. A brawl had ensued.

As compared to the game version, where heaps of corpses ensued. :lol:

Where's Yeslick when you need him?

Alora giggled. "Save me you did! Did you see how they ran away when you shouted at them?" Minsc beamed at her, and nodded enthusiastically.

Who wouldn't run with Minsc yelling at them?

Behind the door was a dark corridor. As soon as the door was closed behind them, a voice asked, "Password?"

"Fafhrd," Coran said.

Is that Fafhrd as pronounced in the civilised Southern fashion Faf-erd that the Mouser uses or the Northern Faf-rud preferred by the man himself?

"Enter," the voice said, and they continued onwards.

As soon as they entered the next room, which was sparsely furnitured and lit by a single candle, Edwin grabbed Coran by the scruff of his neck. "What have you gotten us into now, elf?"

Trouble.

Though not at all surprising.

Can he come out to play?

"Oh I don't intend to flatter, merely to assure you that you have been watched since you entered the city. As for my intent, I do have a proposition for your group to consider. A small task really, best suited to someone unknown here."

"We are not interested in your organization, or in working for it. You will have to look elsewhere," Kivan said.

Edwin. Crank up a fireball spell please. I'm in the mood to... increase our options.

"And what would be our reward for this service?" Edwin added.

Keeping an eye on what's really important, Eddie? I suppose someone has to.

Ravenscar grinned. "It's quite the bit of intrigue actually. A local wizard by the name of Shandolar makes his home in a moored Halruaan skyship. It would appear that he has the knowledge to reproduce these flying marvels, and is currently organizing the sale of the recipe to Grand Duchess Liia Jannath. He has drawn up a set of rituals, and has procured an artifact fragment and an ancient statuette vital to the spell that keeps the ships aloft. These he has divided amongst his daughters until the deal is to proceed."

"I have been contacted by a representative of the Halruaans," he continued, "and they have no wish to see scores of flying ships manufactured in every port. You are to infiltrate the place of exchange, steal the ingredients, and return here with them. Simple enough. You would be well paid. Enough gold to give you a backache and, if I am well pleased, mayhaps a magical weapon or two. Perhaps a little more, perhaps a little less. It entirely depends upon your performance."

I do find it very strange that the wizard in question is off in Ulgoth's Beard whil ethis is going on, and that you can go there and have a perfectly reasonable discussion with him even after killing his three daughters on this quest.

[quest]Coran stepped forward. "Seems a fairly straightforward bit of burglary, and well within my ability," he said, grinning every bit as broadly as Ravenscar. "I accept this challenge!"[/quest]

Fair enough, Coran, you do that. And since you prabably don't want us getting in your way, we'll be at the Splurging Sturgeon. (Or not.)

"Don't worry," Coran said, sounding a little less confident than he had inside. "I have a plan."

The most dangerous words in the English language. Given who's speaking them, I expect it consists of breaking in and seeing if there are any girls he can charm.

And I'm right. :lol:

"Follow me, ladies," Coran said, and sauntered into the Oberon estate as though he didn't have a care in the world.

Or a brain cell.

Ember sighed deeply. "If anything happens to them, I'll hold him personally responsible," she said, clenching the hilt of her sword. There were too many risks in this plan. What if Alora or Imoen lost their invisibility at the wrong time? What if Coran couldn't lure the mage's daughters away? What if there was a trap Imoen couldn't handle? What if Alora dropped something?

"If we are lucky, the magelings will leave the room whilst chasing the elf out of the house," Edwin said. "(If we're extra lucky, they may even kill him.)"

:lol:

"Coran is reckless," Kivan said. "Too reckless, often. If this continues, we should ask him to leave."

"Boo thinks Coran means well," Minsc said, "but he does not approve of the elf putting little Imoen and tiny Alora in danger where Minsc cannot watch over them. It's not right!"

"We shall discuss matters with him as soon as this Halruuan matter has been dealt with," Kivan said.

I do think it's a bit hypocritical for Edwin to call Coran reckless. The words "Nether Scroll" spring to mind. But even Minsc doesn't realy approve of Coran's behaviour.

"We have all the thingies!" Alora's voice said from the fog. "They're not very pretty but oh do they look interesting!"

I'm always slightly surprised that Edwin doesn't demand a chance to look at them.

Ember smiled; tense muscles in her shoulders relaxed as relief filled her. I guess I won't have to kill Coran tonight after all. "Let's return to the Elfsong and rest. That Halruuan can stand to wait till morning."

You could still kill him. It'd make your daddy happy. :lol:

They slowly made their way through the fog to the Elfsong tavern - Imoen and Alora became visible again when they were half way there - and retired to their rooms. None of them stirred till late in the morning, and they didn't return to the thieves' guild until almost midday.

Alora squealed.

The chanting ceased. Seconds later, there was a soft thunk as Resar's body collapsed to the floor.

Kivan with bow - 1; mage with robes - 0. This completes the scoring, and now a look at the league table, where Elves are top with maximum points, and Halruaan wizards are bottom with none.

"You just killed your employer," Ravenscar pointed out. "Have his belongings, if you will. I owe you nothing."

"You are a cheater!" Alora cried, throwing herself at the thief and hitting him with her small fists as tears gushed from her eyes. Without too much roughness, Ravenscar pried her from his legs.

"I have business to attend to," the thief said. "Resar's belongings are in that chest. Take them, and leave." He stalked out of the room; Imoen and Edwin immediately searched the room for valuables, and were able to find several wands, potions and trinkets.

I never minded Ravenscar that much. I do think he probably found the whole situation embarassing and would prefer to forget about it.

I love Alora's soundset and attitude, but you get her so late in the game that she's not really usable as your main thief, and I can never justify having two thieves unless the PC is one.

#4 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:52 AM

Ha! So he got hurt!

Healing potions are too precious to be wasted on a small (and well deserved) sprain, you know :lol:

You.... you have alot more then 50 gold by now...

Oh, Coran would listen for free, as long as it had the scent of adventure. :lol:

I never really understood why thieves would need a bunch of people that arn`t thieves. Couldn`t they just bring some outside guy in?

All the thieves were in prison, or so he said in the explanation I couldn't be bothered to write into the story :lol:

Eurgh... three mages...

They're harmless as long as you don't make them angry.

I don`t really remember if he or Ediwn reacted to each other. Halruaa and Thay are not exactly on friendly terms IIRC.

In default game, nobody reacts to anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a reaction in that NPC project.

Either way, this guy isn't exactly friendly towards anyone, and I doubt he even noticed there was a red wizard in the party :lol:

Doesn`t all "loose ends" involve the thieves guild as well?

One can only hope.

Psshh... You don`t let theives near you Ravenscar!

My Alora has found that there is great profit in being underestimated ;)

#5 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:03 PM

As compared to the game version, where heaps of corpses ensued. :lol:

Well, it was a brawl of sorts even there :lol:

Where's Yeslick when you need him?

Right now, I suspect he's still at the Friendly Arm Inn, recuperating.

Who wouldn't run with Minsc yelling at them?

Crazy people ;)

"Fafhrd," Coran said.

Is that Fafhrd as pronounced in the civilised Southern fashion Faf-erd that the Mouser uses or the Northern Faf-rud preferred by the man himself?

It's Throat Wobbler Mangrove.

Trouble.

As usual.

Can he come out to play?

Alora: *smiles innocently*

Edwin. Crank up a fireball spell please. I'm in the mood to... increase our options.

I like the way you think :lol:

I do find it very strange that the wizard in question is off in Ulgoth's Beard whil ethis is going on, and that you can go there and have a perfectly reasonable discussion with him even after killing his three daughters on this quest.

I think he does get a little upset if you kill his daughters, but the cloak is more important than anything.

[quest]Coran stepped forward. "Seems a fairly straightforward bit of burglary, and well within my ability," he said, grinning every bit as broadly as Ravenscar. "I accept this challenge!"[/quest]

Fair enough, Coran, you do that. And since you prabably don't want us getting in your way, we'll be at the Splurging Sturgeon. (Or not.)

The most dangerous words in the English language. Given who's speaking them, I expect it consists of breaking in and seeing if there are any girls he can charm.

But of course!

Or a brain cell.

You're quite perceptive, aren't you?

"We shall discuss matters with him as soon as this Halruuan matter has been dealt with," Kivan said.

I do think it's a bit hypocritical for Edwin to call Coran reckless. The words "Nether Scroll" spring to mind. But even Minsc doesn't realy approve of Coran's behaviour.

The Nether Scroll is still some ways away.

Edwin: There is also a major difference between a fool elf endangering us all, and my acquisition of power unmeasured. (I thought that was obvious.)

I'm always slightly surprised that Edwin doesn't demand a chance to look at them.

Well, they had the artifacts all night, and I don't think Alora wouldn't show them off. So I suspect Edwin looked at them and pronounced them tacky and of so low magical potential that they couldn't possibly make a cow fly, much less a ship.

Kivan with bow - 1; mage with robes - 0. This completes the scoring, and now a look at the league table, where Elves are top with maximum points, and Halruaan wizards are bottom with none.

As it should be :D

I love Alora's soundset and attitude, but you get her so late in the game that she's not really usable as your main thief, and I can never justify having two thieves unless the PC is one.

Well, she works well in this group of mine ;) Imoen is pretty much just a mage now, after all (I shadowkept her so she is still the trapfinder).

#6 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

Well, at least they didn't have to skewer all of them like in the game.

"All in all, there was no harm done, I'd say," Coran said. "None of us were seriously hurt, and we taught some blowhards a lesson. Invigorating, that's what it was!"

You are such a... thief. Hmm... why don't I like you, then? :lol:

Shake him like the disobedient puppy he is, Eddie!

A large man, almost as large as Minsc, entered from a side chamber. His clothes were dark yet flamboyant, and three white scar lines crossed his left eye. "Welcome, my little friends!" he said, raising a hand in greeting. "Please relax, and keep your weapons at your sides. No need for hostility." He made a small hand gesture, and the others in the room backed away, vanishing into the shadows.

That's... not very reassuring, Alatos.

Ember stared puzzledly at Ravenscar. "Your interest in me is flattering, though I question your intent," she said.

And it's not even really flattering, anyway! Unless you like being spied on by Shadow Thieves... then again, better get used to it.

Coran stepped forward. "Seems a fairly straightforward bit of burglary, and well within my ability," he said, grinning every bit as broadly as Ravenscar. "I accept this challenge!"

Plus, who knows what would happen if you didn't accept?

Oh, yeah? Whatcha gonna do, seduce them all? Might take a while...

Oi. I was right. :lol:

What if Coran acts like a moron?

... they are in deep trouble.

Hey, that would be lucky! Well, Alora's got a rabbit's foot, maybe it'll trigger some violence for you.

Now, that's a surprise!

Kivan-1, Halruuans-0

Go elfy!

Nyehehe...

Go Alora! Although you'd think the leader of a thieves' guild would notice that...

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

Well, at least they didn't have to skewer all of them like in the game.

My group tries to show some moderation when it comes to random slaughter.

You are such a... thief. Hmm... why don't I like you, then? :lol:

Because he's smarmy?

Shake him like the disobedient puppy he is, Eddie!

That's... not very reassuring, Alatos.

I don't really think it was meant to be.

Plus, who knows what would happen if you didn't accept?

Actually, who knows what would happen with the Shadow Thieves?

What if Coran acts like a moron?

... they are in deep trouble.

Ember: Well, he's not completely incompetent. I'm sure he'll do a wonderful impersonation of a smitten suitor.

Imoen: Impersonation?

Kivan-1, Halruuans-0

Go elfy!

Go this elfy! :lol:

Go Alora! Although you'd think the leader of a thieves' guild would notice that...

She's just that good, you know?

#8 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

Oh dear.

*grins* You have to love Alora :lol:

"No girl will become a doggie snack while Minsc and Boo look on!" Minsc proclaimed.

Yay Minsc!

Aww! :D

"Fafhrd," Coran said.

Er, bless you? :lol:

I have to agree with Kivan here.

Oh dear :D

You know, you're rapidly making me want to just beat some sense into Coran ;)

:lol: How very Coran!

"(That shouldn't be too difficult, even for him,)" Edwin muttered.

*agrees*

*giggles*

Rar!

Minsc: Go for the legs, Alora! Go for the legs!! Raargh!

Go Alora!

I am enjoying this a lot -- even though your Coran is a world away from the one I developed ;) It's interesting to see just how annoying he can be though :lol:

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

*grins* You have to love Alora ;)

Alora: *giggle*

"Fafhrd," Coran said.

Er, bless you? ;)

You know, you're rapidly making me want to just beat some sense into Coran :D

You and the entire rest of my party :D

:lol: How very Coran!

This particular Coran, anyway :lol:

Minsc: Go for the legs, Alora! Go for the legs!! Raargh!

Go Alora!

Alora: *smiles innocently and does a little pirouette and curtsey*

I am enjoying this a lot -- even though your Coran is a world away from the one I developed :D It's interesting to see just how annoying he can be though :lol:

Well, from what I can tell, people either dismiss him as a cad almost immediately, or keep him around and reform and romance him. I saw potential in keeping the cad around for a while :o

#10 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 23 September 2006 - 01:51 PM

"You didn't know them," Imoen pointed out. "For all you knew they could have been Iron Throne agents."

Coran: "What is this... 'OpSec' you speak of?"

:cry:

Well... she... kinda does look like a chew toy. :shock:

If yer asked the password, it's 'Fafhrd'.

Yeah, I remember that bit. I remember it confused me, since... well... words that are spoken out loud tend to have these things called "vowels" in order to allow the human mouth to pronounce them. ;)

"Oh come now, what's the harm in just listening?"

Raven: "Maybe you've forgotten that one of the members of your party has a death warrant on her head."

Harlequin: (Sarcastically) "Oh, what's the harm... they're just going to 'listen.' "

Raven: "Yeah, listen to themselves be -killed.-" :shock:

"Be not surprised, there are very few people in Balder's Gate I cannot name. You have been here for only a few days, and have already made quite a stir."

Raven: "Yeah, see... this is what I mean... making a big fuss? Having everyone know who you are? Walking into a room full of potential hostiles while having no idea what's going on and whether they want to kill you or not? Not terribly smart."

Harlequin: "It's been proven Coran isn't too healthy in the brain."

"'What's the harm in just listening,' you said," she told Coran angrily. "You said you could do this; you'd better be as good as your word."

Colleen: "Does it involve slitting his throat and leaving what's left of him at the bottom of a storm drain?"

Jefferson: "A cop? Advocating First Degree Murder?"

Colleen: "I know, I know, it's a little unusual, but let's face it. Some people just need to die."

Jefferson: (Snickers)

Yeah, there's... a high thief complement here... that's... an odd-choice of party composition.

Behind the fallen mage, Ravenscar cleared his throat. "So you've killed the Halruuan," he said. "Well, don't take it personally that I let him attack you; he was a powerful mage, and there was little I could do to dissuade him from killing you. You have my apologies for the entire incident."

"That's not good enough," Ember said quietly. "We want our payment."

And possibly a free shot at putting a knife in your eye for turing on them. :roll:

Well, at least it wasn't a complete disaster. But still... nice job, Coran. All that risk, and not too much reward. Can we boot him out, now, please? Please?

Dumbass. :)

#11 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:57 PM

Well, those Maulers were arrogant jerks in need of a good beating. :shock: It’s a fun battle in the game, this one.

The young man looked them over and nodded to himself. "Aye, you're a fine group o' mercenaries are you? Leastwise that's the word on the street. I've a boss who'd like to have a word wit you if you can spare the time. He don't ask fer free though, and here be 50 gold just to hear him out."

Since when you are leading this group and making the decisions?

"Fafhrd," Coran said.

I don’t think it can be pronounced without producing some serious amount of spittle.

"I must apologize for the manner of my thieves," the man said. "I suppose a thieves' guild must keep a measure of malice about it, but it does tend to put a cloud over introductions. I am Alatos Thuibuld, though I thank you not to mention that too often; you may call me Ravenscar. You are Ember of Candlekeep, of course," he said, looking at Ember. "Be not surprised, there are very few people in Balder's Gate I cannot name. You have been here for only a few days, and have already made quite a stir."

He was quite the bastard, betraying the group to that Halruaan wizard. I don’t think there was an option to kill him in the game, was it.

First he tells them that they have no choice in the matter, and then offers them to make that choice – a very generous person, this chap.

And since they don’t want to pay you at all, your performance will be rated as unsatisfactory no matter what you do and even more, they’ll try to kill you.

Yeah, he’s going to seduce the daughters, of course.

Oh sweet merciful gods, I guessed! :roll:

Hopefully he will soon have some cares to worry about!

Indeed… I think that every plan that relies on Coran’s ability to seduce women is quite simply guaranteed to fail.

Twice using the word ‘matter’ in this sentence reads a bit odd. :shock:

Another charmer with manners – see how he apologizes before trying to kill you, isn’t it sweet?

Seeing how easily the group killed him… yeah… your story sounds very likely, Mr. Thief.

Never trust a halfling who smiles too much. :cry:

#12 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:04 PM

Coran: "What is this... 'OpSec' you speak of?"

Ember: There's a reason we never told him about my bounty, you know.

If yer asked the password, it's 'Fafhrd'.

Yeah, I remember that bit. I remember it confused me, since... well... words that are spoken out loud tend to have these things called "vowels" in order to allow the human mouth to pronounce them. :shock:

Isn't this the name of some guy, though? And there's nothing wrong with quadruple consonants; I have one in my last name (so what if schn surrounded by vowels is easier than fhrd with only one vowel?)

"Oh come now, what's the harm in just listening?"

Raven: "Maybe you've forgotten that one of the members of your party has a death warrant on her head."

Ember: He hasn't forgotten. He doesn't know.

"Be not surprised, there are very few people in Balder's Gate I cannot name. You have been here for only a few days, and have already made quite a stir."

Raven: "Yeah, see... this is what I mean... making a big fuss? Having everyone know who you are? Walking into a room full of potential hostiles while having no idea what's going on and whether they want to kill you or not? Not terribly smart."

Harlequin: "It's been proven Coran isn't too healthy in the brain."

Edwin: I knew it from the moment I saw him.

Yeah, there's... a high thief complement here... that's... an odd-choice of party composition.

Are you suggesting I should drop someone? :shock:

Well, at least it wasn't a complete disaster. But still... nice job, Coran. All that risk, and not too much reward. Can we boot him out, now, please? Please?

As Alora would put it; done, and done!

#13 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:11 PM

Well, those Maulers were arrogant jerks in need of a good beating. :roll: It’s a fun battle in the game, this one.

That it is, as long as you manage to not get Gorpel Hind's people and/or any bartenders killed ;) (I only recently found out that not talking to Gorpel means he doesn't butt in :shock: )

Since when you are leading this group and making the decisions?

Kivan: *glare*

"Fafhrd," Coran said.

I don’t think it can be pronounced without producing some serious amount of spittle.

I can easily see it being mistaken for a sneeze.

He was quite the bastard, betraying the group to that Halruaan wizard. I don’t think there was an option to kill him in the game, was it.

Well, you can wipe out the thieves guild if you want to... I think some of the dialogue options when the mission is forced upon you will lead to a fight rather than a mission.

First he tells them that they have no choice in the matter, and then offers them to make that choice – a very generous person, this chap.

Hey, this is the guy who killed the Revenant down near the Nashkel mine. Nice is his middle name.

Yeah, he’s going to seduce the daughters, of course.

What else would you suggest, sneak in and steal the things under their noses?

Oh sweet merciful gods, I guessed! :D

Well, so did everyone else :shock:

Hopefully he will soon have some cares to worry about!

Him? Not a chance.

Twice using the word ‘matter’ in this sentence reads a bit odd. :cry:

Yep. I noticed it before posting, but forgot to try to think of a rephrasing. One just occured to me now, though :)

Seeing how easily the group killed him… yeah… your story sounds very likely, Mr. Thief.

The only time I've ever seen Biff the Understudy (other than in the play) is when I've done Narlen's quests and then managed to kill Resar before Narlen has time to intervene :D

Never trust a halfling who smiles too much. :D

Well, I'd rather have that than one who smiles too little...

#14 Guest_sparrow_*

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:16 PM

If only Coran got away with more than a limp (I used to sort of like him in game, but it's all changed now because of you :evil:), a good point Imoen, and aww for Minsc and Alora.

"A wise choice o' action," the young man said with a grin. "Now just follow me, an' I'll show ya the way ta the Guild. If yer asked the password, it's 'Fafhrd'. When yer in the guild just look fer the man named Ravenscar." He led them to a nearby house, opened the door, and gestured for them to enter.

Sigh, someone is forgetting their place and the meaning of democracy. And how does one pronounce Fafhrd anyway?

Says the man that nearly ran into Daveorn's traps. :wink:

:wink: Edwin and a very Minsc comment.

:wink:

Tricksy halfling. :wink:

#15 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:55 AM

If only Coran got away with more than a limp (I used to sort of like him in game, but it's all changed now because of you :D), a good point Imoen, and aww for Minsc and Alora.

;)

You know that any more serious injuries would have to be healed :shock: I'm kinda sorry I'm maligning him for you, though ;)

Sigh, someone is forgetting their place and the meaning of democracy. And how does one pronounce Fafhrd anyway?

Something between a sneeze and throwing up?

Says the man that nearly ran into Daveorn's traps. ;)

Hence why Immy said she'd keep an eye out for them ;)

:shock:

Immy and Alora did the actual work, after all.

Tricksy halfling. :D

She knows how to use her personality to her advantage :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com