Ember's Tale 40: The Hall of Wonders

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:41 AM

Chapter 40: The Hall of Wonders

"This is an inexcusable waste of our time. We should not be here," Edwin grumbled as he followed Coran and Imoen through a conveniently open window into the Hall of Wonders. "(Risking life and limb for something so trivial...)"

"Didn't you feel the least bit sorry for Brevlik?" Imoen asked.

"No."

"You don't have to come if you don't want to. Imoen and I are perfectly capable of handling it alone," Coran said. A foolish grin was smeared across the elf's face, as usual.

"(You'd like that, wouldn't you.) Someone has to make sure you don't get Imoen in trouble with your simian antics," Edwin said.

"Ah, but haven't you heard that luck is always with the romantic?" the wretched elf said, winking at Imoen.

Edwin had never missed the paladin as much as he did at that moment. Muttering a choice selection of Thayvian curses under his breath, he followed Imoen and the lout into the Hall.

The Hall itself was not too inferior, Edwin had to admit. A depressing lack of gold, but no more than Edwin expected after several months in the west, and in the faint light from the torches on the walls, he could tell there were vast expanses of marble. Giant staircases led to the main floor, where the exhibits where displayed in large cases made of glass with a more than adequate clarity and smoothness. Not a single guard was in sight.

"Where's the telethingy?" Imoen asked.

"Over there," Coran said, pointing towards a dark corner. Flaunting his night vision for her, Edwin thought with disgust.

They walked slowly, with soft steps, towards the display case the elf had indicated. "Yes, here it is," Coran said smugly.

Someone squealed behind the display case.

Moments later, a wide-eyed face surrounded by a wild mop of dark auburn hair peered out from behind the lower section of the case. "Oh! Scared me you did!" the face said. "I suppose I'm caught then? Peacefully I'll go, I'm not much for fighting... Wait a minute... Holy Leapin' Lavender Lizards! You're not the guard! You're... you're burglaring just like me!"

"Burglaring is such a distasteful word," Edwin said.

"Now this IS exciting! We should... we should work together! Yeah! I could use the help... uh...I mean, we could just help each other a little bit. Whatcha say?"

"Aren't you a bit young to be burglaring?" the elf asked.

"Young! I'm not young, I'm eighteen!" the face said.

Edwin took a second glance at the slanted eyes and pointy ears of the face, estimated a height based on the face's position, and congratulated himself once again on possessing a brain vastly superior to Coran's. "You are a halfling," he stated.

"That I am!" the face said cheerfully. "Alora's the name!"

"I'm Imoen," Imoen said, "this is Eddie, and the elf there is Coran."

"Hello, Imoen, Eddie and Coran!" she said, stepping out from behind the case.

Edwin sighed. "My name is Edwin Odesseiron. It is not 'Eddie'. (Why do I even try; it's probably too late already.)"

"What are you burglaring?" Imoen asked.

"Why, this Golden Farseer, of course! There was this poor gnome, and he was so sad..."

"Brevlik, right?"

"You met him too?"

"He hired us to steal the telethingy as well!"

Alora's face scrounched up with disappointment. "Now why would he go and do that? I'm good at stealing! Did he think I couldn't do it just because I am short?"

She is taller than the gnome, at the very least, Edwin mused.

"Maybe he just wanted to be sure he got it," Imoen said. "But let's do like you said and steal it together, and then we share the reward! How about it?"

"Double good and done!" the halfling said with a grin. "Oh, it'll be great fun having someone around to talk to! I don't meet many nice people in this trade. Just because we steal doesn't mean we have to be bad. Mostly I'm just curious what people have. He he, such fun!"

Imoen smiled at the shorter girl. "Let's look at this display case, shall we?"

Somehow, disaster was avoided. The worthless elf kept watch for guards, Imoen discovered and neutralized an alarm mechanism that protected the case, and the halfling proved to have considerable skill with lockpicking - all in the fingers, she'd said. Within five minutes, the object was safely in their possession, and within fifteen minutes, they had left the Hall of Wonders and closed the window behind them.

"I wonder what it does," the halfling said, juggling the telescope (at least one person was able to remember the correct term for the appliance) and peering through the lenses at each end. "Hey! Your nose looks huge in this, Eddie!" she said, and laughed.

Before he could stop his hands, he'd involuntarily reached up to cover his nose. He lowered his hand irritably. "(Foolish reflexes.) My nose is perfect in every way," he proclaimed.

"Let me see!" Imoen said. She took the telescope from Alora and looked at Edwin through it. "You're right!" she laughed.

"(Wonderful. Just wonderful.)" Imoen's penchant for foolish behaviour was running wild again, thanks to the meddling elf and his need for an adventure. The presence of the halfling, who clearly ingested too much sugar, merely aggravated her condition. "(And the evening started so well,)" Edwin muttered.

When they returned to the Elfsong, they found the gnome waiting where they'd left him; he was sitting in the corner booth where Edwin and Imoen had been studying. A small mug of ale stood in front of him, untouched.

"Hello again my rogueish compatriots!" the gnome exclaimed, apparently forgetting that the halfling had been hired separately. "Ooh, this is so exciting; it's like an adventure tale starring you and me! So, do you have it yet?"

"Here it is!" Imoen said, displaying the telescope with an artful (and impressively so) flourish.

"You are well worth your pay my friend, well worth it!" Brevlik said, eyeing the telescope greedily. "Oh, but it is a beauty... I'll be the toast of Amn, for sure, when I display it!"

"Amn?" Edwin asked.

"You plan to display it yourself?" Imoen asked.

"I... er... Oh, but who else can display such a treasure in a manner that'll most highlight its glory!" the gnome said.

"Or best line your pocket," Edwin said.

"You're tricksy!" Alora cried. "You didn't trust little Alora to get it for you, and you want to use it for money! Do you know how sad that makes me?" A tear trickled down the halfling's cheek; all in all, her face was an astounding portrayal of a deeply wounded heart, and Edwin couldn't help but feel impressed.

"The deal is off," Imoen said, clutching the telescope to her chest. "We're taking it back."

"But... but... you can't!" Brevlik pleaded. "They'll just keep it locked up, never to be touched! No gnome will know the true joy of such an artifact!"

"We can, and we will," Edwin said, positioning himself between the girl and the gnome, as the latter appeared on the verge of attacking Imoen for the prize. "(He'd have it worn out and broken in a fortnight with his display methods, I believe.)"

"You have to let me touch it! I must inspect it!"

"Just order a copy. It'll work exactly the same way," Imoen said as the four of them left the tavern and the now wailing gnome.

Restoring the telescope to its display was a simple task. Edwin stood guard (he did not trust Coran to fulfil that task properly) while the two girls repeated their work with the locks and the alarms and gently replaced the telescope. They snuck out of the Hall within five minutes; once again, the operation had gone unnoticed by any guards. The whole affair had showcased Imoen's manual skills (oh, and the halfling's, as well) and if not for the fact that it'd wasted valuable time that could have been otherwise spent on magical research (and the fact that it'd been time spent with Coran), Edwin would almost have been satisfied with the evening's activities.

"Wasn't that great fun?" Alora asked as they parted outside the Elfsong. "We do pretty good for just meeting! How about we do this again, like all the time?"

"A splendid idea!" Coran cried.

"Well, we'll have to ask the others, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind," Imoen said, smiling. "How about you meet them for breakfast tomorrow?"

"I love breakfast!" Alora said. "See you in the morning!"

---

Imoen opened the door to the bedroom as carefully and quietly as she could; she didn't want to wake Ember if she could help it. The soft, frustrated sighing she heard from within changed her mind.

She ran towards Ember's bed and reached for her friend's hands. Ember was fast asleep, but her hands were twisting and clenching so hard that the tendons stood out like cords. Washing her hands again, Imoen thought with dismay. She knew this dream wasn't as bad as the ones with the mean voice in them, but she knew Ember hated it almost as much. Imoen had offered to watch her at night and wake her, but Ember had insisted that Imoen needed the sleep more; besides, she didn't always move or make sounds. Still, this was the third time Imoen had caught Ember dreaming. At least I can wake her from this one.

"Em, wake up. It's me, Imoen," she said, holding Ember's hands with her own. "You're only dreaming. Wake up."

There was a ragged gasp, and Ember's hands relaxed; Imoen felt them tremble from the exertion. "Immy?" Ember asked hoarsely.

"Yep, it's me. It's all right," Imoen whispered and stroked her friend's sweaty forehead.

"I have to stop this, Immy," Ember mumbled, still half asleep.

"I know. You'll figure it out, just you wait and see!"

But how? Imoen sighed and crawled into Ember's bed, nestling against her friend's back and wrapping an arm around her. Ember had stopped touching her hands - she did that every time Imoen woke her from that dream, as if to check that they really weren't sticky with blood - and her breathing had slowed to normal. Soon, she'd fallen asleep again.

Imoen stared into the darkness for quite a while before she too fell asleep.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

"This is an inexcusable waste of our time. We should not be here," Edwin grumbled as he followed Coran and Imoen through a conveniently open window into the Hall of Wonders. "(Risking life and limb for something so trivial...)"

Didn’t even expect him to tag along, but I guess he would not want to leave Imoen alone with Coran.

Umm, whatever for? I certainly didn’t, but I still stole the telescope. ;)

"Ah, but haven't you heard that luck is always with the romantic?" the wretched elf said, winking at Imoen.

And where are those stupid people who believe that, now? Let me guess… they’re dead.

Moments later, a wide-eyed face surrounded by a wild mop of dark auburn hair peered out from behind the lower section of the case. "Oh! Scared me you did!" the face said. "I suppose I'm caught then? Peacefully I'll go, I'm not much for fighting... Wait a minute... Holy Leapin' Lavender Lizards! You're not the guard! You're... you're burglaring just like me!"

Hee, Alora! I quite liked her, even if at times her sweetness was similar to that of cotton candy. :lol:

Edwin took a second glance at the slanted eyes and pointy ears of the face, estimated a height based on the face's position, and congratulated himself once again on possessing a brain vastly superior to Coran's. "You are a halfling," he stated.

A slug would have a vastly superior brain compared to Coran. ;)

"Why, this Golden Farseer, of course! There was this poor gnome, and he was so sad..."

:) Well, I’m not surprised his act worked on Alora…

"Double good and done!" the halfling said with a grin. "Oh, it'll be great fun having someone around to talk to! I don't meet many nice people in this trade. Just because we steal doesn't mean we have to be bad. Mostly I'm just curious what people have. He he, such fun!"

Insufferably sweet, isn’t she? :)

"I wonder what it does," the halfling said, juggling the telescope (at least one person was able to remember the correct term for the appliance) and peering through the lenses at each end. "Hey! Your nose looks huge in this, Eddie!" she said, and laughed.

And there’s a real forest of nasal hair! :lol:

Before he could stop his hands, he'd involuntarily reached up to cover his nose. He lowered his hand irritably. "(Foolish reflexes.) My nose is perfect in every way," he proclaimed.

Of course, Edwin, of course. ;)

"I... er... Oh, but who else can display such a treasure in a manner that'll most highlight its glory!" the gnome said.

Do go right ahead, if you want to get hanged… silly gnome, not to mention that he might have angered Gond himself with this!

"You're tricksy!" Alora cried. "You didn't trust little Alora to get it for you, and you want to use it for money! Do you know how sad that makes me?" A tear trickled down the halfling's cheek; all in all, her face was an astounding portrayal of a deeply wounded heart, and Edwin couldn't help but feel impressed.

You write a perfect Alora. Here’s someone who can manage to be innocently sweet, yet isn’t insufferably annoying like Aerie.

"Just order a copy. It'll work exactly the same way," Imoen said as the four of them left the tavern and the now wailing gnome.

Poor guy… but I bet he’ll get other suckers to steal it for him. :)

"Wasn't that great fun?" Alora asked as they parted outside the Elfsong. "We do pretty good for just meeting! How about we do this again, like all the time?"

Strangely enough, he hasn’t tried to put any moves on her yet.

She ran towards Ember's bed and reached for her friend's hands. Ember was fast asleep, but her hands were twisting and clenching so hard that the tendons stood out like cords. Washing her hands again, Imoen thought with dismay. She knew this dream wasn't as bad as the ones with the mean voice in them, but she knew Ember hated it almost as much. Imoen had offered to watch her at night and wake her, but Ember had insisted that Imoen needed the sleep more; besides, she didn't always move or make sounds. Still, this was the third time Imoen had caught Ember dreaming. At least I can wake her from this one.

Awwww… ;)

Maybe you will… but you don’t want to know how much time it’ll take…

Imoen is the bestest little sister one could have.

#3 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:14 PM

The security in that place is so lax.

"You don't have to come if you don't want to. Imoen and I are perfectly capable of handling it alone," Coran said. A foolish grin was smeared across the elf's face, as usual.

Proffesional thieves everywhere hates you Coran...

:lol:

I like Alora... To bad you get her so late in the game!

"Hello again my rogueish compatriots!" the gnome exclaimed, apparently forgetting that the halfling had been hired separately. "Ooh, this is so exciting; it's like an adventure tale starring you and me! So, do you have it yet?"

Eh... yeah... yelling stuff like that may not be a good idea.

"Em, wake up. It's me, Imoen," she said, holding Ember's hands with her own. "You're only dreaming. Wake up."

There was a ragged gasp, and Ember's hands relaxed; Imoen felt them tremble from the exertion. "Immy?" Ember asked hoarsely.

"Yep, it's me. It's all right," Imoen whispered and stroked her friend's sweaty forehead.

Aw, Immy is a good friend.

#4 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

Life's no fun without a few risks, Eddie.

"No."

"(You'd like that, wouldn't you.) Someone has to make sure you don't get Imoen in trouble with your simian antics," Edwin said.

"In trouble" seems an appropriate choice of words, yes.

Er, not that I think you would do that with Coran, Immy. Just the principle of the thing.

So lemme get this straight... if luck be a lady, and luck is always with the romantic, who says luck won't get jealous and kill you off for flirting with anything that moves? Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, after all.

Edwin had never missed the paladin as much as he did at that moment. Muttering a choice selection of Thayvian curses under his breath, he followed Imoen and the lout into the Hall.

D'aww, Eddie wants Ajantis around to beat up Coran. How cuuuute. ;)

"Over there," Coran said, pointing towards a dark corner. Flaunting his night vision for her, Edwin thought with disgust.

Don't worry, Eddie, you've got loads more cool stuff to your name than silly night-vision. Like... um...

Oh, duh! Magic! And a good accent... and probably a mansion back in Thay... erm, I'll get back to you on that one.

Gah, Alora's just too cute for words, isn't she?

I hate to break it to you, Eddie, but... well, anyone has a brain vastly superior to Coran's. Even... even Noober! Don't worry, though, I still love you. ;)

Willow: It looks huge anyway! Or is that just my Eddie?
Edwin: I'm right here, you know. (No respect from these simians, no respect at all...)

Of course it is, Edwin. And I'm not just lying to be nice. ;)

"(Wonderful. Just wonderful.)" Imoen's penchant for foolish behaviour was running wild again, thanks to the meddling elf and his need for an adventure. The presence of the halfling, who clearly ingested too much sugar, merely aggravated her condition. "(And the evening started so well,)" Edwin muttered.

Yeah, you were studying scrolls, and might've heard a ghosty, and Immy was grinning at you, and... *sigh*

"We can, and we will," Edwin said, positioning himself between the girl and the gnome, as the latter appeared on the verge of attacking Imoen for the prize. "(He'd have it worn out and broken in a fortnight with his display methods, I believe.)"

Yes, protect your apprentice, Eddie! :)

"Well, we'll have to ask the others, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind," Imoen said, smiling. "How about you meet them for breakfast tomorrow?"

Yaaaay, Alora gets to stay!

Poor Immy. Probably doesn't know what the heck to do. ;)

#5 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:46 PM

Didn’t even expect him to tag along, but I guess he would not want to leave Imoen alone with Coran.

Would you want to?

Umm, whatever for? I certainly didn’t, but I still stole the telescope. :)

Same here. His quest is very good exp ;)

And where are those stupid people who believe that, now? Let me guess… they’re dead.

Coran: If so, I am sure they died very romantically!

Hee, Alora! I quite liked her, even if at times her sweetness was similar to that of cotton candy. :lol:

Rotten tooth and gums, and all that? ;)

A slug would have a vastly superior brain compared to Coran. :)

Edwin: (That doesn't disprove my point.)

:( Well, I’m not surprised his act worked on Alora…

Yeah. She'd just think it a good bit of fun, getting a Golden Farseer ;)

Insufferably sweet, isn’t she? :D

Not really :D

Do go right ahead, if you want to get hanged… silly gnome, not to mention that he might have angered Gond himself with this!

He's a disgrace for all gnomehood and I am sure Jan Jansen would have an appropriate tale to tell, but I do not wish to hear it.

You write a perfect Alora. Here’s someone who can manage to be innocently sweet, yet isn’t insufferably annoying like Aerie.

Hehe, thanks ;)

Poor guy… but I bet he’ll get other suckers to steal it for him. :lol:

Well, that'll be the other suckers' problem :lol:

Strangely enough, he hasn’t tried to put any moves on her yet.

I suspect she's a bit too short and childlike for those instincts to kick in :lol:

Awwww… :)

I'm not sure which subconscious is meaner right now; the Bhaal essence, or Ember's own.

Imoen is the bestest little sister one could have.

Yes, she is :)

#6 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

The security in that place is so lax.

For all we know, Gond smites thieves.

Proffesional thieves everywhere hates you Coran...

Why only professionals? Why only thieves? :lol:

I like Alora... To bad you get her so late in the game!

Well, I've got plenty of game to go :lol:

Eh... yeah... yelling stuff like that may not be a good idea.

For a gnome, I'd say he's being remarkably subdued!

Aw, Immy is a good friend.

She's the bestest ;)

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:10 PM

Life's no fun without a few risks, Eddie.

Edwin: There are risks, and then there are risks. I do not consider this a worthwhile one. (If I could get away with fireballing that elf, I would.)

"In trouble" seems an appropriate choice of words, yes.

Edwin: She could end up in jail or dead. I will not have my tutoring efforts wasted in such a manner!

Er, not that I think you would do that with Coran, Immy. Just the principle of the thing.

Imoen: Ew ew ew!

So lemme get this straight... if luck be a lady, and luck is always with the romantic, who says luck won't get jealous and kill you off for flirting with anything that moves? Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, after all.

Something like that :lol:

D'aww, Eddie wants Ajantis around to beat up Coran. How cuuuute. ;)

Edwin: I merely missed the paladin's company (which was superior in every way to this cretin's (although that easily accomplished)) but now that you mention it, yes I would enjoy that very much.

Don't worry, Eddie, you've got loads more cool stuff to your name than silly night-vision. Like... um...

Oh, duh! Magic! And a good accent... and probably a mansion back in Thay... erm, I'll get back to you on that one.

Edwin: Nightvision is overrated. (It is, after all, a divination spell.)

Gah, Alora's just too cute for words, isn't she?

Absolutely :)

I hate to break it to you, Eddie, but... well, anyone has a brain vastly superior to Coran's. Even... even Noober! Don't worry, though, I still love you. :)

Edwin: *huffs* Although many are superior to that elf, few accomplish the vastness of my superiority.

Willow: It looks huge anyway! Or is that just my Eddie?
Edwin: I'm right here, you know. (No respect from these simians, no respect at all...)

Edwin: I guess it is to be expected from such barbarians. (Still, I did expect better from Imoen.)

Of course it is, Edwin. And I'm not just lying to be nice. :)

Edwin: It may perhaps be improved slightly with some tasteful jewelry, but otherwise I agree.

Yeah, you were studying scrolls, and might've heard a ghosty, and Immy was grinning at you, and... *sigh*

;)

Yes, protect your apprentice, Eddie! :)

Edwin: (What?) Ah, yes, of course.

Yaaaay, Alora gets to stay!

Of course she does, after all the pain Edwin had to go through to meet her ;)

Poor Immy. Probably doesn't know what the heck to do. ;)

Nope. Neither does Ember (although she is pondering the matter. A lot.).

#8 Guest_Radish_*

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:06 PM

Hurray! Never used Alora before, but I really want to. She doesn't fit in my current party, though, unfortunately.

What would you prefer, Eddie?

"You are well worth your pay my friend, well worth it!" Brevlik said, eyeing the telescope greedily. "Oh, but it is a beauty... I'll be the toast of Amn, for sure, when I display it!"

"Amn?" Edwin asked.

Oh dear, he's not so charming anymore.

"I love breakfast!" Alora said.

What halfling doesn't? :lol:

So, what misshap will be pulling Coran away from the party? Fatherhood, perhaps? No reason you can't have more than six, but with all the punishment he's getting I can't believe he's sticking around til the end :lol:

#9 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:33 PM

"No."

Edwin: Only help those who can help themselves, that is my motto.

Aerie: But... w-what about people unable to help themselves?

Edwin: Just take what they have and leave.

Imoen: Right. I don't need anyone helping me get into trouble... um, that didn't come out quite right...

The Hall itself was not too inferior, Edwin had to admit. A depressing lack of gold, but no more than Edwin expected after several months in the west, and in the faint light from the torches on the walls, he could tell there were vast expanses of marble. Giant staircases led to the main floor, where the exhibits where displayed in large cases made of glass with a more than adequate clarity and smoothness. Not a single guard was in sight.

"Where's the telethingy?" Imoen asked.

Aerie: We had telescopes in Faenya Dail... a-and a very large observatory...

Tarant: Here we go... yes, the avariel do everything so much better than we do.

Aerie: I didn't say that... I was just talking about our observatory, where sages have devoted their lives to studying the stars...

Tarant: So is there anything Avariel haven't got?

Aerie: Hmmm... the food's not as good. T-that's why elves are thin, we just... can't seem to master cooking.

Tarant: We do prefer redistributing wealth.

Imoen: It's like a mini me. I want one! Whatever happened to our Alora anyway?

Tarant: I heard she fell asleep one night and was swallowed whole by a python that escaped the circus. One the bright side, it made the python a lot easier to catch.

Alora's face scrounched up with disappointment. "Now why would he go and do that? I'm good at stealing! Did he think I couldn't do it just because I am short?"

Tarant: No, because you don't seem able to keep your mouth shut for more than five seconds at a time.

Tarant: I'm curious whether if I tape her mouth shut, will her head eventually burst from the pressure?

Edwin: I do not have a big nose! It is a noble nose is what it is! In fact, none of you people are good enough to even be looking at my nose. Keep your eyes on the ground!

Edwin: Exactly.

Imoen: Whatever you say, Pinocchio.

"Amn?" Edwin asked.

Edwin: Yes, yes... I, er, think I'd best have it, for safekeeping...

Imoen: Shame our Eddie isn't like that. He's usually hiding under Aerie's skirt at the first sign of trouble.

Aerie: It's true... a-and I don't like it.

Edwin: I can be... noble... when I want to be. But, really, my life is far too valuable to risk on something so trivial.

Imoen: It's my favorite meal as well. Along with dinner and lunch of course... then there's supper, brunch, teatime...

Tarant: Hmm... how do you stop something that comes to you in dreams?

Another good chapter!

#10 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:15 AM

Hurray! Never used Alora before, but I really want to. She doesn't fit in my current party, though, unfortunately.

I've never used her before, either (Coran's number stats are better, after all) but she'll make for a more interesting story, I think :)

What would you prefer, Eddie?

Edwin: I would prefer not having the evening interrupted!

"I love breakfast!" Alora said.

What halfling doesn't? :D

Especially second breakfast :D

So, what misshap will be pulling Coran away from the party? Fatherhood, perhaps? No reason you can't have more than six, but with all the punishment he's getting I can't believe he's sticking around til the end :)

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:23 AM

[quote][quote]

"No."[/quote]

Edwin: Only help those who can help themselves, that is my motto.

Aerie: But... w-what about people unable to help themselves?

Edwin: Just take what they have and leave.
[/quote]

[quote]
[quote]"(You'd like that, wouldn't you.) Someone has to make sure you don't get Imoen in trouble with your simian antics," Edwin said.[/quote]

Imoen: Right. I don't need anyone helping me get into trouble... um, that didn't come out quite right...
[/quote]

Oh yes it did :D

[quote]
[quote]
Tarant: So is there anything Avariel haven't got?

Aerie: Hmmm... the food's not as good. T-that's why elves are thin, we just... can't seem to master cooking.
[/quote]

Best reason I've ever seen :P

[quote]
[quote]
"Burglaring is such a distasteful word," Edwin said.[/quote]

Tarant: We do prefer redistributing wealth.
[/quote]

Edwin: Exactly.

[quote]
[quote]Edwin took a second glance at the slanted eyes and pointy ears of the face, estimated a height based on the face's position, and congratulated himself once again on possessing a brain vastly superior to Coran's. "You are a halfling," he stated.

"That I am!" the face said cheerfully. "Alora's the name!"[/quote]

Imoen: It's like a mini me. I want one! Whatever happened to our Alora anyway?
[/quote]

:)

[quote]
Tarant: I heard she fell asleep one night and was swallowed whole by a python that escaped the circus. One the bright side, it made the python a lot easier to catch.
[/quote]

Eeee, don't give me Jansen flashbacks like that!

[quote]
[quote]Alora's face scrounched up with disappointment. "Now why would he go and do that? I'm good at stealing! Did he think I couldn't do it just because I am short?"[/quote]

Tarant: No, because you don't seem able to keep your mouth shut for more than five seconds at a time.
[/quote]

Did you try a Silence spell? Duct tape?

[quote]
[quote]"Double good and done!" the halfling said with a grin. "Oh, it'll be great fun having someone around to talk to! I don't meet many nice people in this trade. Just because we steal doesn't mean we have to be bad. Mostly I'm just curious what people have. He he, such fun!"[/quote]

Tarant: I'm curious whether if I tape her mouth shut, will her head eventually burst from the pressure?
[/quote]

Ah, so you didn't try :D

[quote]
[quote]"I wonder what it does," the halfling said, juggling the telescope (at least one person was able to remember the correct term for the appliance) and peering through the lenses at each end. "Hey! Your nose looks huge in this, Eddie!" she said, and laughed.[/quote]

Edwin: I do not have a big nose! It is a noble nose is what it is! In fact, none of you people are good enough to even be looking at my nose. Keep your eyes on the ground!
[/quote]

:)

[quote]
[quote]"We can, and we will," Edwin said, positioning himself between the girl and the gnome, as the latter appeared on the verge of attacking Imoen for the prize. "(He'd have it worn out and broken in a fortnight with his display methods, I believe.)"[/quote]

Imoen: Shame our Eddie isn't like that. He's usually hiding under Aerie's skirt at the first sign of trouble.

Aerie: It's true... a-and I don't like it.

Edwin: I can be... noble... when I want to be. But, really, my life is far too valuable to risk on something so trivial.
[/quote]

Your Edwin sounds like far more of a scoundrel than mine :D

[quote]
[quote]

"I know. You'll figure it out, just you wait and see!"[/quote]

Tarant: Hmm... how do you stop something that comes to you in dreams?
[/quote]

Ember: :D

[quote]
Another good chapter![/quote]

#12 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:42 PM

A depressing lack of gold

But an uplifting lack of tackiness!

Holy Leapin' Lavender Lizards!

I've always been a fan of "Great sainted, jumping monkeys!"

Guybrush Threepwood: "So... you've gone back to your previous career? Petty thievery?"

Otis: "I prefer to call it... 'proactive redistribution of wealth...'"

And old enough to be charged as an adult for my crimes! :D

Just because we steal doesn't mean we have to be bad. Mostly I'm just curious what people have. He he, such fun!

Only played through the first BG a couple of times, so I barely remember Alora.

The whole affair had showcased Imoen's manual skills

Harlequin: "We do tend to be good with our hands."

Raven: "That's what your last boyfriend said."

Harlequin: :lol: "I know."

"I love breakfast!"

Who doesn't? :)

But how? Imoen sighed and crawled into Ember's bed, nestling against her friend's back and wrapping an arm around her. Ember had stopped touching her hands - she did that every time Imoen woke her from that dream, as if to check that they really weren't sticky with blood - and her breathing had slowed to normal. Soon, she'd fallen asleep again.

Sad moment, but still kinda cute.

I'm a sucker for girls cuddling. :)

#13 Guest_sparrow_*

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:11 PM

Aww, your Alora is too cute, I like her, and IIRC in game Eddie does too. :) (And I think it's probably because of Keldan's story that I now picture Edwin with a big Snape-ly nose without the telescope.) Wonder what Alora's future with the party will be like! The ending scene was very bittersweet, poor Ember, poor Imoen. :) Thank you for another good chapter Cel. :lol:

#14 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:11 AM

*collapses* I have finally caught up! I am enjoying this immesely, and it's quite amusing to watch Ember and Willow journeying down their paths at the same time, because both are quite, quite unique, and likeable in different ways :wink:

I'd do a more detailled review, but it's late, and suffice to say, I am enjoying it and shall be keeping up to daye with all future episodes! :roll:

#15 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:20 AM

A depressing lack of gold

But an uplifting lack of tackiness!

True!

Holy Leapin' Lavender Lizards!

I've always been a fan of "Great sainted, jumping monkeys!"

:roll:

And old enough to be charged as an adult for my crimes! ;)

Well, she'll wheedle her way out of that, of course :lol:

Just because we steal doesn't mean we have to be bad. Mostly I'm just curious what people have. He he, such fun!

Only played through the first BG a couple of times, so I barely remember Alora.

This is my first time playing her :lol:

The whole affair had showcased Imoen's manual skills

Harlequin: "We do tend to be good with our hands."

Raven: "That's what your last boyfriend said."

Harlequin: :wink: "I know."

Ew ew! :cry:

Edwin: *turns as red as his robe* That is... not what I meant!

"I love breakfast!"

Who doesn't? :lol:

I hate it sometimes, if I'm not feeling well :lol:

Sad moment, but still kinda cute.

I'm a sucker for girls cuddling. ;)

Tsk tsk :lol:

I'm sure everyone is happy it's not Coran cuddling her, anyway ;)

#16 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:58 AM

Aww, your Alora is too cute, I like her, and IIRC in game Eddie does too. :lol:

As far as I can tell, they'll talk about him not smiling enough and such things :wink:

(And I think it's probably because of Keldan's story that I now picture Edwin with a big Snape-ly nose without the telescope.)

Edwin lends himself quite easily to the bignosed stereotype. Especially in BGII :lol:

Wonder what Alora's future with the party will be like! The ending scene was very bittersweet, poor Ember, poor Imoen. :lol: Thank you for another good chapter Cel. :roll:

#17 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:59 AM

*collapses* I have finally caught up! I am enjoying this immesely, and it's quite amusing to watch Ember and Willow journeying down their paths at the same time, because both are quite, quite unique, and likeable in different ways :wink:

Yeah, we were amused when we first found that we were writing the exact same events at the exact same time :roll: The differences are more pronounced now, thankfully.

I'd do a more detailled review, but it's late, and suffice to say, I am enjoying it and shall be keeping up to daye with all future episodes! :lol:

#18 Weyoun

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

I don't think Coran's gonna get very lucky tonight, to be honest. :roll:

"Now this IS exciting! We should... we should work together! Yeah! I could use the help... uh...I mean, we could just help each other a little bit. Whatcha say?"

"Aren't you a bit young to be burglaring?" the elf asked.

Old enough to drink, join the army, drive a cart or rob someone blind. :lol:

Aw. :lol:

Long live the Jansen clan. :cry:

:wink:

Well, she's painfully enthusiastic. :lol:

Good story.
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#19 Guest_Finduilas_*

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:43 AM

Chapter 40: The Hall of Wonders

LOL. You really hate Coran, don't you? I always rather liked him.

So...is Edwin jealous of Coran's attention to Imoen or Ember? He seems to be having trouble making up his mind. :wink:

I never used Alora as an NPC, does she really talk like that?

:roll: to Edwin's 'vastly superior brain'.

Edwin sighed. "My name is Edwin Odesseiron. It is not 'Eddie'. (Why do I even try; it's probably too late already.)"

Far, far too late.

Now I'm regretting not trying Alora out--she's a hoot.

Anachronistic, but very amusing nonetheless.

"Amn?" Edwin asked.

"The deal is off," Imoen said, clutching the telescope to her chest. "We're taking it back."

I don't quite remember what story he told them, but I find it hard to believe they'd be *that* surprised he wants to make money from it.

Whoa. She makes Imoen look positively suicidal.

:cry:

Cute episode, sad ending.

#20 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:01 AM

I don't think Coran's gonna get very lucky tonight, to be honest. :)

Funnily enough, neither do I :)

Aw. :)

Poor little Alora smiles in the face of daily discrimination. Then she steals its wallets.

Long live the Jansen clan. :)

I'd prefer them dead :)

:D

Edwin: Already I respect her more than that infernal elf.

Well, she's painfully enthusiastic. :)

I've seen people like that. We once encountered one while buying groceries; the girl at the till was frighteningly enthusiastic about peanut butter cereal :D (To this day, hubby and I use 'peanut butter cereal girl' to describe that personality type)

Good story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com