Ember's Tale 38: Words, not Swords

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:19 PM

Chapter 38: Words, not Swords

A week after flooding the mines, Ember and her companions were once again in Beregost. Most of the miners were recuperating at the Friendly Arm Inn; the Mirrorshades had made room for them in the inn and the temple, and Kivan and Ember had given each miner a share of the wealth that had been found in the mine. A dozen or so of the miners had travelled with the group to Beregost, where they had been reunited with their families.

"A good day's work," Coran said with a grin, jiggling the heavy purse he'd received as reward for the wyvern head. While he'd claimed the bounty, Kivan and Minsc had visited the smithy and collected their new suits of armour; both rangers were now dressed in what very much resembled dark green plate mail.

"The day is not done yet," Edwin said sourly.

"It's not far to Thalantyr's tower, Eddie," Imoen said. "Just wait till you see what he has; you'll be in a good mood in no time!"

"We shall see about that. (It would definitely improve my mood if that insufferable elf would leave!)"

As they entered the town square, Ember noticed two people staring at her. She stopped abruptly when they moved towards her.

"What is it?" Imoen whispered. "Assassins?"

"No," Ember replied. "Khalid and Jaheira."

"Oh."

"Um, hello," Ember said uncomfortably as the pair of half-elves stopped in front of her.

"Greetings, child," Jaheira said, her face as stern as ever. "For Gorion's sake, it is good to see you."

"I-It would seem our paths were destined to c-cross once more. I-I hope that you are doing well," Khalid said amiably.

"As well as can be expected, I guess," Ember said.

"We have heard much about you and your actions," Jaheira said.

"You have? How?"

"Our ...investigations in Firewine led us to the mines in Nashkel. We arrived there to find that you and your companions had cleansed and restored the mine. And you are the toast of this town, it appears; rescuing kidnap victims from a mine, destroying mad Cyricists..." A hint of a smile appeared on Jaheira's face, softening it considerably.

"Gorion would be proud of your actions," Khalid said with a smile.

"Do you really think so?" Ember asked.

"Of course he would! You have done much good since we parted," Jaheira said.

"I... I guess we have," Ember said quietly. Would Father be proud of all the killing, though?

"Where are you going now?" Imoen asked.

"North, i-into the forests," Khalid said.

"We have business there," Jaheira added. She glanced quickly at Ember's companions, and furrowed her brow sightly as she scrutinized Edwin and Coran. "You and your friend would be welcome to join us, if you wished," she said, "but I see you have more than enough companions of your own, and you no doubt also have business that must be attended to."

"(How perceptive,)" Edwin muttered.

"Yes, we do," Ember said. "We will be going to Baldur's Gate."

Jaheira nodded, then looked at Kivan. "I remember you. May I have a word with you?"

"If you wish," Kivan said. The elf and the half-elf stepped aside and shared a few whispered sentences, then returned to the others.

"Perhaps we will meet again," Jaheira told Ember. "Good luck on your further ventures."

"And to you also," Ember said.

"F-fare well, child!" Khalid said.

The two half-elves departed up a northerly road, and Ember sighed with relief.

"That wasn't too bad, was it?" Imoen said.

"No. I was worried she'd bite my head off when I saw them, though," Ember said.

Imoen laughed. "You're buffle-headed! You know that, right?"

"With you around to remind me, how could I forget?" Ember said with a grin. "Kivan, what did she talk with you about?"

"Later," Kivan said.

As the group continued onwards to Thalantyr's tower, Coran sidled up next to Kivan. "Who were they?" Coran asked.

"Friends of Ember's foster father. Adventurers," Kivan said.

"A fine figure like hers shouldn't be risked in an occupation such as adventuring," Coran muttered. Edwin and Kivan both rolled their eyes.

---

Ember shuffled her food around her plate without eating much of it. Glancing across the room, she saw Coran dance with a young, pretty serving girl, and Imoen dance with Edwin. Imoen had never looked more the part of a mage than she did now, dressed in a deep pink mage robe that was accented with purple and gold. She'd fallen in love with it when she'd seen it at Thalantyr's, and when Edwin had pronounced it to have more than adequate magical protections (nothing like his own new robe, of course) they had bought it on the spot. The colourful robes billowed around the mages as they moved around the floor in what Ember guessed was a traditional Thayvian dance; Ember half suspected Imoen had asked Edwin to dance only so that Coran wouldn't get the chance to ask her, but they were nonetheless a spectacular sight.

It was so strange, how things had turned out. Her father's murder and the bounty on her head were somehow entangled with what appeared to be a great conspiracy which expanded instead of unravelling whenever she pulled a thread. It would be good to get to the Gate, she mused; the local authorities could deal with the major machinations, and they'd be free to focus on searching for Tazok and for further leads on exactly who in the Iron Throne was after her.

"Why is little Ember sad?" Minsc asked, interrupting Ember's reverie. The large ranger was eating from a hearty plateful of assorted meats and vegetables; Boo sat on the table next to him on a saucer full of seeds and nuts, holding a large seed with both paws and nibbling enthusiastically.

"Sad?" Ember asked. "I'm not sad, I'm just ...thoughtful."

"One could be forgiven for thinking you look sad, child," Kivan said.

"Minsc hasn't seen little Ember smile properly, with her eyes, in a long, long time," the giant said mournfully. "Not since we visited the peaceman and the dryad. It makes Boo worried."

"Really?" Ember asked, thinking back on what had happened since then. Assassins, the mine, the bandits, the other mine, always running towards the next skirmish... most of her strange dreams. It feels like such a long time ago... "I... it was peaceful there," she conceded. "I don't think I've been able to truly rest since then."

"But all heroes must rest sometimes! You need peace and happiness in your heart, and then you can trample Evil much, much better! Right, Boo?" He reached out to pat the hamster, who squeaked in response.

"You're right, Minsc," Ember said with a faint smile. "Things are troubling me. Even my dreams."

Minsc frowned. "Minsc cannot make Evil tremble in dreams," he said.

"Have you had more of those dreams?" Kivan asked.

Ember hesitated before answering. "I may have," she said. "After the mine, I dreamed that I drowned in blood. There was no voice, but it was as if the blood was alive and wanted to destroy me. And... do you remember when we were headed back through Cloakwood and the spiders attacked us? I could cure not one but two of the miners that were poisoned."

Kivan frowned. "Why did you not speak of this sooner?"

Ember's voice dropped to a whisper. "That's not the only time I've dreamed about blood. I've been dreaming that my hands are coated in blood, and I can't get them clean."

"How often have you dreamed of this?" Kivan asked.

"Every night since we destroyed the camp in the wood of Sharp Teeth," Ember said miserably.

Neither of the rangers spoke, and Ember eventually continued. "I am not sure I like myself anymore. Sometimes, I feel like I don't even know myself. It's as if I am watching myself turn into someone who thinks everything can be solved with a swing of my sword."

"Maybe little Ember is becoming a berserker warrior, just like Minsc?" Minsc said in an uncustomarily quiet voice.

Ember sighed. "Who knows?"

"We will do what we can to help you," Kivan said.

"You will?"

"Of course, child. And even if I had not already been determined to do so, your father's friend made me promise to protect you and Imoen. You have done much for me; I owe you no less."

"Minsc will also help little Ember and little Imoen! No matter where Evil hides, it will be pulled out into the light where it will meet my sword and my hamster, and together we will bring it to justice for what it does to Minsc's charges!"

Ember felt her eyes fill with tears. "Thank you both, so much," she said with a smile.

"You need a break from fighting, I believe," Kivan said. "A few days..." He trailed off and looked across the table over Ember's head; his eyebrows furrowed as if he were looking at something unpleasant.

"Ember, you look like our gloomy rangers are boring you to death," Coran said cheerily as he put a hand on Ember's shoulder. "Come, you should dance. The night is yet young!"

"No thank you, Coran, I'm tired," Ember said in mild protest.

"Oh, I insist! Just one dance, to put roses back in your lovely cheeks!"

"Oh very well, but just one," Ember said with a sigh, wondering why she hadn't followed Imoen's example. She slowly stood up and followed the grinning elf to the dancefloor.

"Isn't life wonderful?" Coran asked as the dance started. "Wyverns are dead, coin fills our purses, and we'll be in the city in two days' time!"

"I've never seen the Gate," Ember said politely.

"Never? With so much to see and experience there? Have no fear, for Coran will be your guide to the city!"

"Thanks, I guess."

They danced in silence for a while. Ember was careful to maintain as much distance between them as she could, while Coran incessantly tried to move closer to her. The combination led them in a large circle around the floor over the course of the dance.

"You have the most beautiful... er... eyes," Coran said abruptly.

What in the nine hells? "Really?" Ember said in a raised, innocent tone, and demurely looked down. A moment later, she completely closed her eyes, and the line of her mouth hardened. "What colour are they?" she asked, her voice as hard and flat as her expression.

"Ah, uh, blue! Bright blue!"

"No," Ember said. Her dark green eyes were full of annoyance as she looked at the elf. "Imoen's eyes are that colour," she said coolly. "And I really am too tired for this, so you'll have to excuse me." She turned away from Coran and walked off the dance floor, leaving the Elf behind.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:57 PM

"It's not far to Thalantyr's tower, Eddie," Imoen said. "Just wait till you see what he has; you'll be in a good mood in no time!"

"We shall see about that. (It would definitely improve my mood if that insufferable elf would leave!)"

You’re not alone in wishing to see that!

Yay, it’s the (comparatively) nice druid! ;)

"I-It would seem our paths were destined to c-cross once more. I-I hope that you are doing well," Khalid said amiably.

Yes, it was a sheer accident, I believe you. ;)

"Our ...investigations in Firewine led us to the mines in Nashkel. We arrived there to find that you and your companions had cleansed and restored the mine. And you are the toast of this town, it appears; rescuing kidnap victims from a mine, destroying mad Cyricists..." A hint of a smile appeared on Jaheira's face, softening it considerably.

Whoa! Someone must have given her a good talking to, after that Friendly Arm Inn disaster.

"We have business there," Jaheira added. She glanced quickly at Ember's companions, and furrowed her brow sightly as she scrutinized Edwin and Coran. "You and your friend would be welcome to join us, if you wished," she said, "but I see you have more than enough companions of your own, and you no doubt also have business that must be attended to."

Rather half-hearted attempt to join Ember, not even using the ‘oh, you’re going to Baldur’s Gate too?’ method. You have to wonder how the Harpers let them give up on her so easily. But maybe they think that observing from distance will be enough.

It seems that Ember is still rather too intimidated by Jaheira, not that I’m too surprised about that.

"With you around to remind me, how could I forget?" Ember said with a grin. "Kivan, what did she talk with you about?"

"Later," Kivan said.

Oh come on, I’m curious!

"A fine figure like hers shouldn't be risked in an occupation such as adventuring," Coran muttered. Edwin and Kivan both rolled their eyes.

I agree with him about the fine figure, but as for the rest… *punches Coran* ;)

Ember shuffled her food around her plate without eating much of it. Glancing across the room, she saw Coran dance with a young, pretty serving girl, and Imoen dance with Edwin. Imoen had never looked more the part of a mage than she did now, dressed in a deep pink mage robe that was accented with purple and gold. She'd fallen in love with it when she'd seen it at Thalantyr's, and when Edwin had pronounced it to have more than adequate magical protections (nothing like his own new robe, of course) they had bought it on the spot. The colourful robes billowed around the mages as they moved around the floor in what Ember guessed was a traditional Thayvian dance; Ember half suspected Imoen had asked Edwin to dance only so that Coran wouldn't get the chance to ask her, but they were nonetheless a spectacular sight.

Well, it seems like this Imoen has a good taste in men, regardless of her reasons for dancing with Eddie. :D

"Really?" Ember asked, thinking back on what had happened since then. Assassins, the mine, the bandits, the other mine, always running towards the next skirmish... most of her strange dreams. It feels like such a long time ago... "I... it was peaceful there," she conceded. "I don't think I've been able to truly rest since then."

Welcome to your life, Ember… :(

Neither of the rangers spoke, and Ember eventually continued. "I am not sure I like myself anymore. Sometimes, I feel like I don't even know myself. It's as if I am watching myself turn into someone who thinks everything can be solved with a swing of my sword."

Scary and sad, but at least she is aware of the changes within herself.

"Ember, you look like our gloomy rangers are boring you to death," Coran said cheerily as he put a hand on Ember's shoulder. "Come, you should dance. The night is yet young!"

What, the servant girl got tired of you already?

"Oh very well, but just one," Ember said with a sigh, wondering why she hadn't followed Imoen's example.

You’ll have to wait until Eddie can cast Simulacrum! :D

"Never? With so much to see and experience there? Have no fear, for Coran will be your guide to the city!"

Yes, visit all your little dalliances in the city, Coran.

They danced in silence for a while. Ember was careful to maintain as much distance between them as she could, while Coran incessantly tried to move closer to her. The combination led them in a large circle around the floor over the course of the dance.

Yes, how very sweet. I was amazed that he dared to say that to Jaheira in the game. :D

"No," Ember said. Her dark green eyes were full of annoyance as she looked at the elf. "Imoen's eyes are that colour," she said coolly. "And I really am too tired for this, so you'll have to excuse me." She turned away from Coran and walked off the dance floor, leaving the Elf behind.

Oh come on, give the poor guy a break, it was so dark in there! ;)

#3 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:09 AM

You’re not alone in wishing to see that!

Ember: No, he isn't.

Yay, it’s the (comparatively) nice druid! :(

Told ya she'd be back :D

Yes, it was a sheer accident, I believe you. :D

Part accident :D I've had those two investigate the kobolds in Gullykin and Firewine, which led them to the kobolds in Nashkel, and they've kept up with what news was available about Ember since the start. They're on their way to a sidequest of their own now :D

Whoa! Someone must have given her a good talking to, after that Friendly Arm Inn disaster.

Actually, no :D

Rather half-hearted attempt to join Ember, not even using the ‘oh, you’re going to Baldur’s Gate too?’ method. You have to wonder how the Harpers let them give up on her so easily. But maybe they think that observing from distance will be enough.

The attempt would have been a bit more enthusiastic except for the little sidequest I've given J&K. Not only is it not in BG (and they know enough about Ember's progress to know she has to go there) but it's also one where she'd rather not bring the wrong type of people along.

All of this will, of course, be clarified the next time J&K show up :D

Note that my J&K do not know that Ember is a Bhaalspawn.

It seems that Ember is still rather too intimidated by Jaheira, not that I’m too surprised about that.

And she'll still be a bit intimidated when they meet again. But no biting off of heads on either side, I don't think :D

"Later," Kivan said.

Oh come on, I’m curious!

The gist of it: "You were with them last time and look trustworthy. Protect the children, for they will not travel with me." "Okay."

I agree with him about the fine figure, but as for the rest… *punches Coran* :D

:D

The colourful robes billowed around the mages as they moved around the floor in what Ember guessed was a traditional Thayvian dance; Ember half suspected Imoen had asked Edwin to dance only so that Coran wouldn't get the chance to ask her, but they were nonetheless a spectacular sight.

Well, it seems like this Imoen has a good taste in men, regardless of her reasons for dancing with Eddie. :D

Imoen: Eddie's fun! And he's so cute when he gets all insulted :D

Welcome to your life, Ember… :D

Ember: It's not the one I asked for!

Scary and sad, but at least she is aware of the changes within herself.

You commented last time that she was very overconfident; that was what she's like in battle. This is what she's like the rest of the time now.

Ember: It's not fair! I'm not even in the manic-depressive story!

What, the servant girl got tired of you already?

Good point ;)

"Oh very well, but just one," Ember said with a sigh, wondering why she hadn't followed Imoen's example.

You’ll have to wait until Eddie can cast Simulacrum! :D

Ember: I could have asked Kivan. Or Minsc. Or Boo.

Yes, visit all your little dalliances in the city, Coran.

;)

Yes, how very sweet. I was amazed that he dared to say that to Jaheira in the game. ;)

He said that to her? ;)

In one of my games, he was laying it on pretty thick with Branwen, but then again, Kivan and Ajantis were complimenting her all over the place as well. Ajantis called her beautiful, Kivan called her a valuable companion :D

Poor Imoen doesn't get any random dialogues at all in BG1. I'd like to know why they did that.

Oh come on, give the poor guy a break, it was so dark in there! :D

Ember: Okay *breaks his nose*

#4 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:00 AM

A week after flooding the mines, Ember and her companions were once again in Beregost. Most of the miners were recuperating at the Friendly Arm Inn; the Mirrorshades had made room for them in the inn and the temple, and Kivan and Ember had given each miner a share of the wealth that had been found in the mine. A dozen or so of the miners had travelled with the group to Beregost, where they had been reunited with their families.

So they are getting some downtime at least? Balm for the soul.

Much nicer then assassins no?

See Ember, Jaheira is nice. She just takes getting used to.

"I... I guess we have," Ember said quietly. Would Father be proud of all the killing, though?

Well, one father is proud I guess.

"Well, my father was kind and loving. Then there is my other father whom was the god of murder and want me to run the familiy buisness."

You can`t beat the two rangers preception.

"But all heroes must rest sometimes! You need peace and happiness in your heart, and then you can trample Evil much, much better! Right, Boo?" He reached out to pat the hamster, who squeaked in response.

Heh, Minsc makes for a good therapist.

"Minsc will also help little Ember and little Imoen! No matter where Evil hides, it will be pulled out into the light where it will meet my sword and my hamster, and together we will bring it to justice for what it does to Minsc's charges!"

Bhaal trembels, good thing he isn`t corporeal.

"You need a break from fighting, I believe," Kivan said. "A few days..." He trailed off and looked across the table over Ember's head; his eyebrows furrowed as if he were looking at something unpleasant.

It is a womanizer!

You mean see the pregnant girl he left behind and experience his total lack of responisiblity.

Eyes are usually higher up.

You suck, Coran...

#5 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:49 AM

So they are getting some downtime at least? Balm for the soul.

Yes. Proper downtime for the ex-miners, and a pleasant evening at an inn for the group :(

Much nicer then assassins no?

Ember: Well, they'll probably not want to kill me...

See Ember, Jaheira is nice. She just takes getting used to.

Ember: She could have tried to show it when we first met!

Well, one father is proud I guess.

Good point :D

"Well, my father was kind and loving. Then there is my other father whom was the god of murder and want me to run the familiy buisness."

;)

You can`t beat the two rangers preception.

Nope. Ember is quite glad she has them around.

Heh, Minsc makes for a good therapist.

Yes. And I think he understands better than anyone how Ember feels in combat.

You mean see the pregnant girl he left behind and experience his total lack of responisiblity.

Oh, absolutely :D

Eyes are usually higher up.

;)

You suck Coran...

;) Never was there a sentence more in need of its missing comma! ;)

#6 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:33 AM

You suck Coran...

:D Never was there a sentence more in need of its missing comma! ;)

Fixed!!!!

Nothing makes me as happy as being able to speak and read a language like a native but having a complete inability to write with said language.

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:46 AM

Hey, I've seen Americans make comma mistakes like that :D

(My husband feels your pain. He started taking Norwegian language classes a year ago and is currently writing a story in Norwegian. Every 10 minutes or so, he asks me what word to use. (Personally, I am bilingual ;) ))

#8 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:53 PM

You commented last time that she was very overconfident; that was what she's like in battle. This is what she's like the rest of the time now.

Ember: It's not fair! I'm not even in the manic-depressive story!

Buahahaha! You want to see a bad reaction to god-blood, you should see the next chapter I'm writing. Maybe then you'll feel better, Ember. :D

#9 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:13 PM

"A good day's work," Coran said with a grin, jiggling the heavy purse he'd received as reward for the wyvern head. While he'd claimed the bounty, Kivan and Minsc had visited the smithy and collected their new suits of armour; both rangers were now dressed in what very much resembled dark green plate mail.

And I'm sure they look very handsome. ;)

I think in this case everyone is in agreeance with you, Eddie. Still, an extra sword-arm is an extra sword-arm.

Hi, guys! ;)

"Greetings, child," Jaheira said, her face as stern as ever. "For Gorion's sake, it is good to see you."

Which of course, translated, means: I sure did love your step-papa but MAN do you annoy me.

Ah, Jaheira, how subtle you are.

Yeah, be the polite one, Khalid.

Heh. She's not all bad, after all.

Yes. But not the one you're thinking of.

Bye, guys! ;)

Willow: She's not too bad when you get used to her. I should know.

You tell her, Immy!

Whatsa matter, Coran, afraid a pretty lady might lose a limb? Idiot.

Imoen had never looked more the part of a mage than she did now, dressed in a deep pink mage robe that was accented with purple and gold. She'd fallen in love with it when she'd seen it at Thalantyr's, and when Edwin had pronounced it to have more than adequate magical protections (nothing like his own new robe, of course) they had bought it on the spot. The colourful robes billowed around the mages as they moved around the floor in what Ember guessed was a traditional Thayvian dance; Ember half suspected Imoen had asked Edwin to dance only so that Coran wouldn't get the chance to ask her, but they were nonetheless a spectacular sight.

D'awwwwwww.

Ahem. Nice robe, Immy! And you too, of course, Eddie.

It was so strange, how things had turned out. Her father's murder and the bounty on her head were somehow entangled with what appeared to be a great conspiracy which expanded instead of unravelling whenever she pulled a thread. It would be good to get to the Gate, she mused; the local authorities could deal with the major machinations, and they'd be free to focus on searching for Tazok and for further leads on exactly who in the Iron Throne was after her.

Except for all the tons of people asking you to do side-quests for them.

"Why is little Ember sad?" Minsc asked, interrupting Ember's reverie. The large ranger was eating from a hearty plateful of assorted meats and vegetables; Boo sat on the table next to him on a saucer full of seeds and nuts, holding a large seed with both paws and nibbling enthusiastically.

I repeat: D'awww.

I get the feeling that for Ember the true peace would lie in not trampling Evil, Minsc. Or anything, for that matter.

Ember's voice dropped to a whisper. "That's not the only time I've dreamed about blood. I've been dreaming that my hands are coated in blood, and I can't get them clean."

I think that's just your subconscious screeching at you, though.

Erm... you pretty much are. Sorry.

Coran, right?

Yep, Coran. :D

"And there's that girl I impregnated... and there's an inn where I slept with three girls in one night... ooh, and there's the man I thought was her brother but was actually her husband! Um, excuse me. I just have to... uh, run."

Oh, yeah? Somehow I think you're looking a little lower than her eyes, buddy.

Nyehehe. You go, girl! ;)

I can't wait to see their adventures in the Gate!

#10 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:08 PM

Buahahaha! You want to see a bad reaction to god-blood, you should see the next chapter I'm writing. Maybe then you'll feel better, Ember. :D

I can't wait!

Ember: I'm sure Willow can.

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:20 PM

And I'm sure they look very handsome. :D

Absolutely :D

I think in this case everyone is in agreeance with you, Eddie. Still, an extra sword-arm is an extra sword-arm.

Edwin: In that case, let us keep the sword-arm and dispose of the rest of the elf.

Which of course, translated, means: I sure did love your step-papa but MAN do you annoy me.

Ah, Jaheira, how subtle you are.

;)

Well, after the reception Ember gave her, she's hardly going to wish to see her for her own sake :D

Yeah, be the polite one, Khalid.

He's good at that :D

Heh. She's not all bad, after all.

Never said she was :D

Yes. But not the one you're thinking of.

You know, that actually didn't occur to me when I wrote the line (I originally wrote 'he' and changed it to 'Father' on a whim) :D

Bye, guys! :D

For now ;)

You tell her, Immy!

Imoen: That's what I'm here for!

Whatsa matter, Coran, afraid a pretty lady might lose a limb? Idiot.

I think he's more concerned with marring scars. And yes, he is.

Imoen had never looked more the part of a mage than she did now, dressed in a deep pink mage robe that was accented with purple and gold. She'd fallen in love with it when she'd seen it at Thalantyr's, and when Edwin had pronounced it to have more than adequate magical protections (nothing like his own new robe, of course) they had bought it on the spot. The colourful robes billowed around the mages as they moved around the floor in what Ember guessed was a traditional Thayvian dance; Ember half suspected Imoen had asked Edwin to dance only so that Coran wouldn't get the chance to ask her, but they were nonetheless a spectacular sight.

D'awwwwwww.

I thought you'd like that :D

Ahem. Nice robe, Immy! And you too, of course, Eddie.

In-game, she has the robe of the good archmagi (and I shadowkept her so she visibly wears it. It has a hood for her :D ) but I figured I'd let the darn thing actually be rare, so she has a slightly lesser robe in the story :D

Except for all the tons of people asking you to do side-quests for them.

Yeah. People are annoying like that. I haven't decided yet how many of those she'll do.

I repeat: D'awww.

Boo: *squeak!*

I get the feeling that for Ember the true peace would lie in not trampling Evil, Minsc. Or anything, for that matter.

Maybe, maybe not.

I think that's just your subconscious screeching at you, though.

That's what she thinks it is, too.

Erm... you pretty much are. Sorry.

Ember: D'oh!

Coran, right?

I don't see Faldorn around, so...

Yep, Coran. ;)

"And there's that girl I impregnated... and there's an inn where I slept with three girls in one night... ooh, and there's the man I thought was her brother but was actually her husband! Um, excuse me. I just have to... uh, run."

:(

Oh, yeah? Somehow I think you're looking a little lower than her eyes, buddy.

Whatever gave you that idea?

Nyehehe. You go, girl! :D

Too bad he won't take a hint even when it's spelled out for him ;)

Lucky you, you'll even get to see some of them early :D (Part I'll need a beta reader for is coming up, so I'm going to try to get a little stockpile of chapters if I have the time this week)

#12 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:38 PM

Buahahaha! You want to see a bad reaction to god-blood, you should see the next chapter I'm writing. Maybe then you'll feel better, Ember. ;)

I can't wait!

Ember: I'm sure Willow can.

Willow: Oh, yeah. I could wait indefinitely.

Lucky you, you'll even get to see some of them early ;) (Part I'll need a beta reader for is coming up, so I'm going to try to get a little stockpile of chapters if I have the time this week)

Yaaaay! I am lucky. ;)

#13 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:40 AM

Raven: "Not assassins?"

Harlequin: "Nope. Khalid and Jaheira."

Raven: "Oh. That's worse."

Harlequin: "I know."

Vixen: :twisted:

Raven: :lol:

A hint of a smile appeared on Jaheira's face, softening it considerably.

It's a rarely seen creature, that smile of hers, but all the more beautiful because of its exotic nature. :twisted:

Would Father be proud of all the killing, though?

Well, no. But he's a smart guy and he'd know there wasn't any other choice.

Raven: "Do you think our Gorion would be proud of all the orcs we've had to shoot, blow up, or otherwise terminate? Of course not. He'd hate that we had to do anything like that. But I also tell myself that he'd understand we don't have a choice and that we don't -enjoy- the killing."

Raven: "Nah. She only yells at us when we do something stupid."

Harlequin: "Which, to be fair, is just about every day."

Raven: "Well, yeah, but I was trying to gloss over that part. It kinda weakens my argument."

Harlequin: "Oh."

Raven: "Yeah."

Harlequin: "Oops."

Raven: "I have a nicer ass."

Harlequin: "I have nicer legs."

Cipher: "I have a nicer rack."

Me: "Jealous much, girls?"

Raven/Harlequin/Cipher: "No."

Imoen had never looked more the part of a mage than she did now, dressed in a deep pink mage robe that was accented with purple and gold.

I don't know... I mean, lots of people turn her mage-y, but then they always put her in mage robes. I still say she should be decked out in elven chain. She just looks WAY better in it.

Boo sat on the table next to him on a saucer full of seeds and nuts, holding a large seed with both paws and nibbling enthusiastically.

Well, it's a teaspoon full of broccoli, and not a large seed, but... close enough.

Warning. Extreme cute.

http://mfrost.typepa..._2ca0ea8601.jpg

"Maybe little Ember is becoming a berserker warrior, just like Minsc?" Minsc said in an uncustomarily quiet voice.

She doesn't really seem like the battlerager type.

Moron. ;)

#14 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:26 AM

[quote]
Raven: "Not assassins?"

Harlequin: "Nope. Khalid and Jaheira."

Raven: "Oh. That's worse."

Harlequin: "I know."

Vixen: :lol:

Raven: ;)
[/quote]

Well, Khalid's a nice guy ;)

[quote]A hint of a smile appeared on Jaheira's face, softening it considerably.[/quote]

It's a rarely seen creature, that smile of hers, but all the more beautiful because of its exotic nature. :twisted:
[/quote]

Isn't that how it usually goes? (Except when you get sour old bints with permanent frown lines who look worse if they try to smile)

[quote]
Raven: "Do you think our Gorion would be proud of all the orcs we've had to shoot, blow up, or otherwise terminate? Of course not. He'd hate that we had to do anything like that. But I also tell myself that he'd understand we don't have a choice and that we don't -enjoy- the killing."
[/quote]

Ember: That's the problem. I do enjoy it.

[quote]
[quote]"No. I was worried she'd bite my head off when I saw them, though," Ember said.[/quote]

Raven: "Nah. She only yells at us when we do something stupid."

Harlequin: "Which, to be fair, is just about every day."

Raven: "Well, yeah, but I was trying to gloss over that part. It kinda weakens my argument."

Harlequin: "Oh."

Raven: "Yeah."

Harlequin: "Oops."
[/quote]

Witness the benefits to not travelling with her :twisted:

[quote]
[quote]Imoen had never looked more the part of a mage than she did now, dressed in a deep pink mage robe that was accented with purple and gold.[/quote]

I don't know... I mean, lots of people turn her mage-y, but then they always put her in mage robes. I still say she should be decked out in elven chain. She just looks WAY better in it.
[/quote]

No elven chain available in this stage of the game except for Drizzle's, which doesn't allow spellcasting ;)

[quote]
[quote]Boo sat on the table next to him on a saucer full of seeds and nuts, holding a large seed with both paws and nibbling enthusiastically.[/quote]

Well, it's a teaspoon full of broccoli, and not a large seed, but... close enough.

Warning. Extreme cute.

http://mfrost.typepa..._2ca0ea8601.jpg
[/quote]

Aaawwwwwwwwwwwww the lil' fuzzy fing!

[quote]
[quote]"Maybe little Ember is becoming a berserker warrior, just like Minsc?" Minsc said in an uncustomarily quiet voice.[/quote]

She doesn't really seem like the battlerager type.
[/quote]

Ember: Maybe not, but it's probably a good thing you didn't get to see me in the bandit camp.

[quote]
[quote]"No," Ember said. Her dark green eyes were full of annoyance as she looked at the elf. "Imoen's eyes are that colour," she said coolly. "And I really am too tired for this, so you'll have to excuse me." She turned away from Coran and walked off the dance floor, leaving the Elf behind.
[/quote]

Moron. ;)[/quote]

You know, I'm almost having a problem coming up with cheesy enough pickup lines for him ;)

#15 Guest_sparrow_*

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:35 AM

Aw, I wish we got to do that in game - give the miners as well as some other people some gold - there's just way too much gold lying around to be had for the party anyway.

While he'd claimed the bounty, Kivan and Minsc had visited the smithy and collected their new suits of armour; both rangers were now dressed in what very much resembled dark green plate mail.

Glad they didn't have the pink bits on it like in game, urgh. :D

That's such a Jaheira thing to say, civil with a hint of bluntness/rudeness. :D And Khalid is just lovely and adorable.

:oops: Try saying that to her face Coran...I'm sure she'll really...appreciate it. Yes, go on. :lol:

The colourful robes billowed around the mages as they moved around the floor in what Ember guessed was a traditional Thayvian dance; Ember half suspected Imoen had asked Edwin to dance only so that Coran wouldn't get the chance to ask her, but they were nonetheless a spectacular sight.

Heh, I don't blame Im, and nice image there.

"Minsc hasn't seen little Ember smile properly, with her eyes, in a long, long time," the giant said mournfully. "Not since we visited the peaceman and the dryad. It makes Boo worried."

"Of course, child. And even if I had not already been determined to do so, your father's friend made me promise to protect you and Imoen. You have done much for me; I owe you no less."

Ember felt her eyes fill with tears. "Thank you both, so much," she said with a smile.

Aww!

Gr. I can see the Kivan gloominess...but Minsc?

:lol: You tell him, Ember. Looking forward to more, as usual. :lol:

#16 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

Aw, I wish we got to do that in game - give the miners as well as some other people some gold - there's just way too much gold lying around to be had for the party anyway.

No kidding. I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually end up with enough gold to buy every item in the game :)

While he'd claimed the bounty, Kivan and Minsc had visited the smithy and collected their new suits of armour; both rangers were now dressed in what very much resembled dark green plate mail.

Glad they didn't have the pink bits on it like in game, urgh. :D

Oh yes. Hideous, weren't they?

That's such a Jaheira thing to say, civil with a hint of bluntness/rudeness. :D And Khalid is just lovely and adorable.

My Khalid is awesome, for he lives :roll:

:) Try saying that to her face Coran...I'm sure she'll really...appreciate it. Yes, go on. :lol:

I almost let him do that, you know :D

Heh, I don't blame Im, and nice image there.

I tried imaginging two robed mages (in red and pink, no less) in a throng of peasants in everyday wear ;)

It's sad because it's true :D

Gr. I can see the Kivan gloominess...but Minsc?

Anyone who'd rather feed a hamster than wink at the serving maids is gloomy, didn't you know?

:twisted: You tell him, Ember. Looking forward to more, as usual. ;)

There should be more when I get home tonight ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com