Quarantine, Day Twenty

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

Notebrains:

1. Longer section this time than the last one I put up. At least it feels longer to me. I've been kinda struggling with the aftermath of this whole CN/JG spat, and it's taken me a long time to work out the kinks in how it should be resolved. I think I've gotten something that doesn't suck big, huge goat... er... ahem... but we'll have to see, I guess.

2. In the meantime, more of Colleen being silly and making really weird pop culture references in her internal monologue. Kinda like a Family Guy episode... only my writing's nowhere near as good. :D

3. And, I leave you all with a "pressing question" at the end. Have fun. :D

-----

Quarantine Day Twenty
November 26, 2005

It was the sun finally peeking out from behind a mass of dark, gray clouds that woke me up the next morning. Just my luck that I’d end up choosing the exact spot on the floor that the single, solitary ray of light coming through the skylight above decided to hit. I opened one eye first, then squinted the other one open. I’d never been much of a morning person, and normally I’d have had a few choice words for whoever was running the almighty weather machine these days, but the fact that the sunlight had done a pretty decent job of keeping me toasty warm while I slept tempered my mood a bit. There was, after all, a lot to be said for not succumbing to hypothermia while unconscious.

I was sorting through the gear in my new pack, looking for something to stop my stomach from rumbling, when I heard some familiar-sounding footsteps behind me. I turned around, slowly.

“Morning. Wanna hit me again?” He was standing there, wearing that same… “I have a pH of exactly 7” expression. I couldn’t tell if he was trying to make a joke, or if he seriously expected me to try and pop him again, but if I had to guess, it sounded like the latter. I felt a little insulted by that. He was right – I did want to hit him, again – but I still resented the implication all the same.

I went back to struggling with the recalcitrant plastic packaging wrapped around my MRE. The damn thing continued to resist my ineffectual pawing. It sat there, in my hands, a bare two millimeters or so of synthetic petroleum-based material, keeping me from vital nutrition, and mocking me with scornful disdain. But I managed to keep my voice cool, all the same. “Thinking about it,” I told Jeff.

He shrugged. “Well, go ahead. Get it out of your system.” Again with the completely deadpan delivery. As if he -seriously- wouldn’t have minded if I just took a swing at him with a baseball bat…

Not that I honestly believed he would be so nonchalant if I were actually trying to brain him with two and a half pounds of machined aluminum. I glared at him. It looked to me like he was having fun, baiting me with that whole “No, really, I’ll let you get in a few more free hits… oh wait… psych!” stuff, and I wasn’t in the mood for jokes, mind games, or whatever you wanted to call it. I flicked a stern gaze in his direction, then tried once more to tear the plastic open. “Maybe later,” I said, trying to slip my pinky into one of the heat-sealed seams.

He offered up another casual shrug. “Suit yourself.”

I decided to cut to the chase. “What do you want?”

“Nothing. I just wanted to check on you.” He frowned, apparently noticing how my newest archenemy continued to thwart me again and again despite the sheer unfettered brilliance of my schemes.

C’mon, open up! I’m hungry!

Arggh! Damn it… oooooohhh, I’ll get you, Gadget!

Ahem.

“Here. Gimme that.” He held out his hand, reaching for the MRE, but I slapped his wrist away. I didn’t need his help. I could manage just fine without it, thank you very much.

Instead, I leveled a patronizing sneer at him. “Your concern for my welfare is touching, Corporal… but I can handle a little scrap of obstinate plastic on my own, thanks. I’ve outsmarted far worthier opponents.”

“Yeah, you’re a regular Stephen Hawking,” I heard him mutter. He reached into his pocket, quickly fished something out and handed it to me. “At least use this.”

In his hand was a genuine Swiss Army Knife – dark red casing, white cross painted along the sides. It was one of the deluxe models: several blades of varying sizes, screwdriver attachments, a bottle opener, corkscrew, a pair of scissors (still sharp, of course,) a wire-cutter, needle-nose pliers… the works. I’d… given it to him as a Christmas gift back when we were in college, and I was… well, I was actually kinda surprised he still had it. He pressed the gadget into the palm of my hand and closed my fingers around it. For a second, I was tempted to just fling it right back at him… but…

But I didn’t.

“Hang on to it,” he said. “You need it more than I do, and I’ll find some way to manage. I was a Boy Scout, after all…”

I scoffed at that and shot him a contemptuous look. “So? I was a Girl Scout.”

Ok. Fine. I’ll admit it: I was being just a touch petulant at that point. Maybe a tad. A little bit. You go have quiet-shut-up-time now.

He pulled a Vulcan – one of his eyebrows rising higher than the other, and his expression went a few miles south of skeptical. Hmph. Jerk. “Uh, Nix... you were a scout for like two months… and… well… you basically joined for the cookies…”

“Shut up.”

I saw him restrain the urge to laugh. Instead, he turned and tossed a glance out through one of the still heavily barricaded doors leading out of the mall. “Well, anyway… rain let up some,” he began hesitantly. “Break in the weather’s probably not going to last long enough for us to get too far away from here, but I thought you might want to run a quick patrol with me.” He shrugged.

“Oh, really… and what would compel me to do such a thing?” I asked, not even bothering to hide my distaste for the idea.

“We’ve been cooped up in here for days. Figured I wasn’t the only one going a little stir-crazy. Thought you might want to get some air, get some exercise, maybe even help out the locals at the same time. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind a few less rotters trying to make meals out of them.”

“And if I decide to just put a round in the back of your head and leave you behind as a zombie snack?”

“You could do that,” he admitted with perfect calm.

“You gonna give me a reason why I shouldn’t?”

For the first time in this entire conversation, I managed to get a reaction out of him that wasn’t steadfastly neutral. He sighed and shook his head. “No, Colleen. I’m not. In the end, you’re gonna do what you want to do.” I searched his tone for some hint that he was annoyed, being sarcastic, or that he was just trying to get my goat some. I couldn’t find any, and it confused me. “Look, if you want to sit here by yourself, that’s fine, too. I just thought you might want a change of scenery for a bit… get out, stretch the legs some… and like I said, we’d be helping out the locals. What do you say?”

#2 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:16 AM

1. Longer section this time than the last one I put up. At least it feels longer to me. I've been kinda struggling with the aftermath of this whole CN/JG spat, and it's taken me a long time to work out the kinks in how it should be resolved. I think I've gotten something that doesn't suck big, huge goat... er... ahem... but we'll have to see, I guess.

It is good to avoid the big goat... er.. things. Yes. Bad to be playing with those. For shame.

2. In the meantime, more of Colleen being silly and making really weird pop culture references in her internal monologue. Kinda like a Family Guy episode... only my writing's nowhere near as good. ;)

You do have your Family Guy type moments. Just so long as Jeff doesn't turn into Peter Griffin, we're okay.

No chinballs please. ;)

3. And, I leave you all with a "pressing question" at the end. Have fun. ;)

I'll take the ham and havarti on rye. ;)

Quarantine Day Twenty
November 26, 2005

When was Thanksgiving last year? Just curious now...

It was the sun finally peeking out from behind a mass of dark, gray clouds that woke me up the next morning. Just my luck that I’d end up choosing the exact spot on the floor that the single, solitary ray of light coming through the skylight above decided to hit. I opened one eye first, then squinted the other one open. I’d never been much of a morning person, and normally I’d have had a few choice words for whoever was running the almighty weather machine these days, but the fact that the sunlight had done a pretty decent job of keeping me toasty warm while I slept tempered my mood a bit. There was, after all, a lot to be said for not succumbing to hypothermia while unconscious.

Freezing to death, no a good idea. Although there is the positive it's actually supposed to be one of the more pleasant ways of dying.

“Morning. Wanna hit me again?” He was standing there, wearing that same… “I have a pH of exactly 7” expression. I couldn’t tell if he was trying to make a joke, or if he seriously expected me to try and pop him again, but if I had to guess, it sounded like the latter. I felt a little insulted by that. He was right – I did want to hit him, again – but I still resented the implication all the same.

There are some unresolved anger issues there... that's for certain. On both sides. But Jeff's doing his best to bridge the gap... now that he knows what's wrong with her.

I went back to struggling with the recalcitrant plastic packaging wrapped around my MRE. The damn thing continued to resist my ineffectual pawing. It sat there, in my hands, a bare two millimeters or so of synthetic petroleum-based material, keeping me from vital nutrition, and mocking me with scornful disdain. But I managed to keep my voice cool, all the same. “Thinking about it,” I told Jeff.

TK: "You'll be the first to know, I'm sure."

He shrugged. “Well, go ahead. Get it out of your system.” Again with the completely deadpan delivery. As if he -seriously- wouldn’t have minded if I just took a swing at him with a baseball bat…

Somehow I doubt it. Taking a punch... sure. A bat to the head, different thing all to freaking gether.

Not that I honestly believed he would be so nonchalant if I were actually trying to brain him with two and a half pounds of machined aluminum. I glared at him. It looked to me like he was having fun, baiting me with that whole “No, really, I’ll let you get in a few more free hits… oh wait… psych!” stuff, and I wasn’t in the mood for jokes, mind games, or whatever you wanted to call it. I flicked a stern gaze in his direction, then tried once more to tear the plastic open. “Maybe later,” I said, trying to slip my pinky into one of the heat-sealed seams.

Funny, she's not in the mood for them, but certainly participating.

“Nothing. I just wanted to check on you.” He frowned, apparently noticing how my newest archenemy continued to thwart me again and again despite the sheer unfettered brilliance of my schemes.

ID: "Stymied by a little plastic. Well, frankly, I'm impressed. She's going to save us all."

C’mon, open up! I’m hungry!

*snigger* I love it. ;)

Instead, I leveled a patronizing sneer at him. “Your concern for my welfare is touching, Corporal… but I can handle a little scrap of obstinate plastic on my own, thanks. I’ve outsmarted far worthier opponents.”

ID: "In fact, just a few weeks ago, she got the coffee machine in the precinct to... *theatrical gasp* dispense coffee into a styrofoam cup. It's amazing her talents."

“Yeah, you’re a regular Stephen Hawking,” I heard him mutter. He reached into his pocket, quickly fished something out and handed it to me. “At least use this.”

*snort* Point, Jeff.

And point, being a nice guy.

In his hand was a genuine Swiss Army Knife – dark red casing, white cross painted along the sides. It was one of the deluxe models: several blades of varying sizes, screwdriver attachments, a bottle opener, corkscrew, a pair of scissors (still sharp, of course,) a wire-cutter, needle-nose pliers… the works. I’d… given it to him as a Christmas gift back when we were in college, and I was… well, I was actually kinda surprised he still had it. He pressed the gadget into the palm of my hand and closed my fingers around it. For a second, I was tempted to just fling it right back at him… but…

But I didn’t.

*nods* Maybe just starting to let go a little of the rage. That's a good thing.

“Hang on to it,” he said. “You need it more than I do, and I’ll find some way to manage. I was a Boy Scout, after all…”

Plus he's probably got a tac knife about his person somewhere. If not, there's probably a Williams Sonoma about. I mean they're every freaking where these days.

I scoffed at that and shot him a contemptuous look. “So? I was a Girl Scout.”

For the cookies I'm sure. ;)

Ok. Fine. I’ll admit it: I was being just a touch petulant at that point. Maybe a tad. A little bit. You go have quiet-shut-up-time now.

LOL

He pulled a Vulcan – one of his eyebrows rising higher than the other, and his expression went a few miles south of skeptical. Hmph. Jerk. “Uh, Nix... you were a scout for like two months… and… well… you basically joined for the cookies…”

Smacked down, Spock style. ;)

I saw him restrain the urge to laugh. Instead, he turned and tossed a glance out through one of the still heavily barricaded doors leading out of the mall. “Well, anyway… rain let up some,” he began hesitantly. “Break in the weather’s probably not going to last long enough for us to get too far away from here, but I thought you might want to run a quick patrol with me.” He shrugged.

ID: "Not a bad idea, provided you've still got easy access to the fort. A little proactive zombie removal does even the odds."

TK: "I don't know, there's something to be said for the hiding behind thick walls."

ID: "Yeah, but what if there are other people who need help?"

TK: "Good point."

“Oh, really… and what would compel me to do such a thing?” I asked, not even bothering to hide my distaste for the idea.

ID: "A sense of duty?"

“We’ve been cooped up in here for days. Figured I wasn’t the only one going a little stir-crazy. Thought you might want to get some air, get some exercise, maybe even help out the locals at the same time. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind a few less rotters trying to make meals out of them.”

All valid points...

“And if I decide to just put a round in the back of your head and leave you behind as a zombie snack?”

ID: *whistles* "Okaaay. Someone's having some anger control issues. Punching is one thing, threatening deadly force... yipe."

“You could do that,” he admitted with perfect calm.

There honestly aren't too many valid reactions to that.

“You gonna give me a reason why I shouldn’t?”

ID: "Do you honestly need a reason? Seriously?"

For the first time in this entire conversation, I managed to get a reaction out of him that wasn’t steadfastly neutral. He sighed and shook his head. “No, Colleen. I’m not. In the end, you’re gonna do what you want to do.” I searched his tone for some hint that he was annoyed, being sarcastic, or that he was just trying to get my goat some. I couldn’t find any, and it confused me. “Look, if you want to sit here by yourself, that’s fine, too. I just thought you might want a change of scenery for a bit… get out, stretch the legs some… and like I said, we’d be helping out the locals. What do you say?”

Whooo hoo, Coll is a cranky one this morning.

Good piece Alpha. Real top notch stuff.

VH

#3 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:55 PM

It is good to avoid the big goat... er.. things. Yes. Bad to be playing with those. For shame.

Well... well, yes... ahem. (Coughs)

You do have your Family Guy type moments. Just so long as Jeff doesn't turn into Peter Griffin, we're okay.

No chinballs please.

Gotta love how they actually used that as a joke one time. Peter reaches up to his chin and pulls it off, sticks it down the front of his pants and goes "Ohhhhh... -that's- where those things went." ;)

And no... Jeff would have to gain like 800 pounds in order to even approach Peter-scale. ;)

I'll take the ham and havarti on rye.

That sounds pretty good. Reminds me of the sandwiches we used to get at Woodstock Wine & Deli, this great place just up the street from campus. When we weren't gorging on food from Otto's Sausage Kitchen just across the street. Sure, the name sounds stupid, but really? That's good sausage.

And then there was Mickey Finn's about a block up... ooooooohhh... sooooo good.

Damn. Kinda getting hungry now. ;)

When was Thanksgiving last year? Just curious now...

Actually, I don't know. But yeah, they likely missed it... but hey, if I couldn't remember when it was, then it's not completely implausible that they'd forget, too. They do have more on their minds.

Although there is the positive it's actually supposed to be one of the more pleasant ways of dying.

You just get tired and sleepy and then don't wake up. But before that, you get really cold and know you're going to die, which... might freak you out a little.

Somehow I doubt it. Taking a punch... sure. A bat to the head, different thing all to freaking gether.

Yeah. The latter could be fatal. Losing a tooth might not be pretty, but it probably won't kill you. A bat to the head just might, and most people would like to avoid such a thing.

Funny, she's not in the mood for them, but certainly participating.

There is that. Colleen's gone all selfish... she's playing head-games, but it doesn't occur to her that she is since she's so angry she can't even see straight.

*snigger* I love it.

Coll makes a good Dr. Claw. ;)

ID: "In fact, just a few weeks ago, she got the coffee machine in the precinct to... *theatrical gasp* dispense coffee into a styrofoam cup. It's amazing her talents."

CN: (Stares at her) "Hey..."

(Several seconds of silence)

CN: "Shut up."

Me: ;)

Plus he's probably got a tac knife about his person somewhere. If not, there's probably a Williams Sonoma about. I mean they're every freaking where these days.

Well, here's a funny thing... I had no idea what a Williams Sonoma was, so I had to Wiki it... and I found that they own Pottery Barn... and I've never been to one of those, either. Never even seen one around here, either.

For the cookies I'm sure.

CN: "Hey..."

(Another lengthy pause)

CN: "Shut up!" (Mutters to herself)

Smacked down, Spock style.

Logic -is- Colleen's secret weakness, after all. ;)

ID: "Not a bad idea, provided you've still got easy access to the fort. A little proactive zombie removal does even the odds."

TK: "I don't know, there's something to be said for the hiding behind thick walls."

ID: "Yeah, but what if there are other people who need help?"

TK: "Good point."

CN: "Well, then we go out, find them, and bring them back to hide behind the thick walls with the rest of us. Duh."

ID: "A sense of duty?"

CN: "What do I need one of those for? You got enough of that to bog down half the population of Rhode Island... what good's my tiny little sense of responsibility gonna do?"

ID: *whistles* "Okaaay. Someone's having some anger control issues. Punching is one thing, threatening deadly force... yipe."

CN: "I -probably- wouldn't shoot him. It'd be a waste of bullets. But if I had some mace handy, that could work."

Whooo hoo, Coll is a cranky one this morning.

And she usually likes mornings, too... or, at least, doesn't hate them quite as much as Inara does. ;)

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:29 PM

1. Longer section this time than the last one I put up.

Well, can’t beat the last one in terms of shortness, really. :lol:

3. And, I leave you all with a "pressing question" at the end. Have fun. :P

Pressing question? Like, where’s the washroom, please? :lol:

Well, got to hand it to him, he’s a brave soul, coming back for more.

Right, right, now don’t overdo the nonchalance, alright?

Yes, like her teddy bear and a box of morning cereal. :lol:

In his hand was a genuine Swiss Army Knife – dark red casing, white cross painted along the sides. It was one of the deluxe models: several blades of varying sizes, screwdriver attachments, a bottle opener, corkscrew, a pair of scissors (still sharp, of course,) a wire-cutter, needle-nose pliers… the works. I’d… given it to him as a Christmas gift back when we were in college, and I was… well, I was actually kinda surprised he still had it.

Awww, isn’t that sweet. :lol:

Coll, petulant? Why, I never!

Where’s the washroom? :lol:

Okay, seriously, at least good to see one of them putting in an effort to repair the relationship. :lol:

#5 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

Well, can’t beat the last one in terms of shortness, really.

Part of the problem is that I'd been having a hard time getting these sections here the way I wanted them, but I was getting tired of going for such long stretches without posting anything. So I decided to try and just post shorter sections.

Pressing question? Like, where’s the washroom, please?

"Washroom" is your standard term for it, huh?

We don't use it that much around here. It's a "bathroom" or a "restroom" if you're being more formal. "Washroom" is sometimes used in the context of "executive washroom" which basically means a really fancy bathroom in a high-priced office building with a guy whose job it is to hand you towels and stuff after you've washed your hands.

I've also heard "comfort room," but that's just weird to me.

And why I'm rambling on about various terms used for the "room where you poop" is beyond me. :P

Well, got to hand it to him, he’s a brave soul, coming back for more.

JG: "I'm a masochist. Isn't that obvious? I'm -marrying- into this family of nutjobs."

Yes, like her teddy bear and a box of morning cereal.

CN: "Hey, you know how difficult it is to get those Cap'n Crunch boxes open, sometimes?! Er... I... I mean... um..." (Bites down on her lower lip) "Shut up!"

Awww, isn’t that sweet.

JG: (Shrugs) "It was a thoughtful gift... and the fact it was useful was an added bonus."

Coll, petulant? Why, I never!

CN: "I am NOT petulant! Am not am not am not! Pttttttthhh!" :lol:

#6 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

Notebrains:

ditto on viga's comments about goats...

since I just finished watching "Skin Deep" from "House", the goat thing reminded me of the patient's cow thing..

never mind..disturbing images there...

why am i reminded of a nut inside a gourd trap for monkeys??? :shock: ;) ;)

Jeff: so what are we going to do tonite Col?

Colleen: The same thing we do everynight, we're going to take over the world!!!!

Jeff: snarf!

a few years back, ok, a lot of years back someone made a bundle selling these opaque pieces of tape that looked like the display on a vcr...people who couldn't figure out how to set the time on their vcr could cover up the blinking 0:00 and not look like a moron to their friends... :) (true story)

hey, every guy prizes a swiss army knife...

i thought she joined to chase other girl scouts... ;)

jeff fritters...

"and go shoot someone..."

he's a good friend. listen to him, colleen. :) :) :)

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:29 AM

why am i reminded of a nut inside a gourd trap for monkeys???

I have absolutely no idea.

No, seriously. I don't know what you're talking about.

Not kidding.

Jeff: so what are we going to do tonite Col?

Colleen: The same thing we do everynight, we're going to take over the world!!!!

Jeff: snarf!

JG: "For one, it's 'Narf!' not 'Snarf!' and for another, I would totally be The Brain. Colleen would be Pinky."

CN: "So you'd be the one with the oversized and horribly misshapen head, then?" ;)

JG: "Er. Yes."

CN: ;)

a few years back, ok, a lot of years back someone made a bundle selling these opaque pieces of tape that looked like the display on a vcr...people who couldn't figure out how to set the time on their vcr could cover up the blinking 0:00 and not look like a moron to their friends...

And what happened when someone realized that it was tape and peeled it off? Then you'd look even more like a moron to your friends. (Snort)

hey, every guy prizes a swiss army knife...

They -are- pretty nifty, yeah.

i thought she joined to chase other girl scouts...

Oh, yeah, of course... an 8-year old girl chasing around 8-year old girls. Suuuuuure. :shock:

he's a good friend. listen to him, colleen.

CN: (Grumbles) "Yeah, yeah, whatever. Hmph." (Muttering)

JG: "She'll be ok. She can't stay mad at me forever." ;)

#8 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:54 AM

why am i reminded of a nut inside a gourd trap for monkeys???

I have absolutely no idea.

No, seriously. I don't know what you're talking about.

Not kidding.

Well, the story is that the easy way to catch monkeys in madagaskar is to simply put a tasty nut inside a gourd. the gourd is then tied up to an immovable object, like a tree. a curious monkey will investigate the gourd, and smelling the tasty nut, will stick its hand inside the gourd to eat the nut. however, because it's fist is clenched around the nut, it is now too big to be withdrawn through the hole in the gourd. The monkey, refusing to let go, will just sit there for hours trying to withdraw the nut, without realizing all it has to do is let go. i don't know if it is a real way to catch monkeys or not, but it is a funny story. :shock:

#9 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:39 PM

Ah. Gotcha.

Well, in response to that, I'd have to say that... Colleen can be pretty dumb. I don't think she's quite -that- dumb, but she may come close on occasion.

CN: "Hey!"

JG: :shock:

#10 Weyoun

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:37 PM

2. In the meantime, more of Colleen being silly and making really weird pop culture references in her internal monologue. Kinda like a Family Guy episode... only my writing's nowhere near as good. :)

Giggety. :)

“Morning. Wanna hit me again?” He was standing there, wearing that same… “I have a pH of exactly 7” expression.

See, what the hell does that mean, anyway. ;)

I decided to cut to the chase. “What do you want?”

Uh, right... :shock:

Oh, reference alert! :)

How long did it take them to find out all the cookies that were supposed to be sold, ended up in Nix's belly? ;)

Sure, why not? ;)
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#11 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:21 PM

Giggety.

If only I could write a character as interesting as Quagmire. Then I'd be set. ;)

See, what the hell does that mean, anyway.

Well, he's neither acidic nor basic, so he's a perfectly neutral solution. :lol:

Uh, right...

Coll can be brilliant on occasion. Granted, not all that terribly often, but it has been known to happen. On occasion. Sometimes. Once in a while. On occasion. ;)

Oh, reference alert!

Pretty obvious one, yes, and the one I was speaking of in the notemeal/notebrains.

How long did it take them to find out all the cookies that were supposed to be sold, ended up in Nix's belly?

CN: (Mouth full) "What?"

JG: "Never mind."

:shock:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com