Time in Stories?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

Alright, I'm having a bit of trouble with something. I've got an ongoing story, and I've worked out the timeline as being almost 6 years of story and plot.

Now obviously, I can't write all of that without it being a monster, and there are a few points where I can condense an event that lasts 6 months or a year. . .

But every time I've tried, I find there's details that get left out, things that are actually important for plot. . . *sigh* And it just never seems to come out quite right.

Any ideas?

#2 Guest_IronDragon_*

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:29 AM

Alright, I'm having a bit of trouble with something. I've got an ongoing story, and I've worked out the timeline as being almost 6 years of story and plot.

Now obviously, I can't write all of that without it being a monster, and there are a few points where I can condense an event that lasts 6 months or a year. . .

But every time I've tried, I find there's details that get left out, things that are actually important for plot. . . *sigh* And it just never seems to come out quite right.

Any ideas?

When you speak of details important to the plot do you mean that without these details told at that specific time and no other the plot will not make sense? or details you need for your story.

There are always details and plot points and conversations that writers create and even commit to paper (or computer screen) but don’t make it into the finished produce and do not need to be there.

In the novel I’m hacking out now…I wrote an elaborate scene where Gorion discovers Imoen and her “brother” and rescues them and makes the commitment to raise them and keep them safe. Such a scene is important to the plot of BG1 but not one that is necessary to actually put into the story itself. I need to know about it so my characters have something to build on…but it does not need to be included in the novel itself.

Go back to your story and hack away at the flab (be viscious) and see where you are at the end. Maybe what you consider to be vital to the plot is more background support for your characters.

#3 Guest_Clovis_*

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:16 PM

I'm having a similar problem. I've been writing Farthest Dawn with an emphasis on character interactions being "realistic". That is, I want the process of team building, trust, and *especially* romance to progress gradually, as it likely would in real life.

The thing is, after 35 chapters, only about two weeks of game time have passed. I find myself wondering if I'm either going to run out of subquests before I can completely develop the characters and romances to my satisfaction, or write something the length of a Tolstoy novel. :lol:

#4 Guest_IronDragon_*

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:24 PM

I'm having a similar problem. I've been writing Farthest Dawn with an emphasis on character interactions being "realistic". That is, I want the process of team building, trust, and *especially* romance to progress gradually, as it likely would in real life.

The thing is, after 35 chapters, only about two weeks of game time have passed. I find myself wondering if I'm either going to run out of subquests before I can completely develop the characters and romances to my satisfaction, or write something the length of a Tolstoy novel. :lol:

GO for it....Hey…it worked for Telstoy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com