Ember's Tale 30: Bloodbath

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

Chapter 30: Bloodbath

Ember was flying. The tents of the bandit camp were barely visible far below her, and she could see the woods stretch away for miles around. All was quiet. That will change at dawn, she thought with a small grin. Her smugness evaporated as an invisible force pushed her down towards the ground, then into the ground. Complete and utter darkness surrounded her; she couldn't even tell whether or not she was still falling.

After what felt like an eternity, light returned to the world. It was not much; just enough for Ember to tell she was in a small, rocky cavern. A statue loomed before her.

A statue of herself.

"Such pride undeserved, great predator, when your whole being is borrowed." It was the voice she'd heard in other nightmares. This time, it seemed amused even as it accused her. "Credit where it is due, and dues where payment is demanded."

A dagger of bone flew from the blackness and struck the statue's chest, cracking it slightly. Ember's body exploded in pain; it felt as though she were being ripped to shreds.

"You were made as you are," the voice said, "and you can also be broken."

Ember fell backwards, but there was no floor to meet her. The void swallowed her again, and she kept on falling and falling and falling...

She snapped awake, gasping for air. Kivan was standing over her. "I could not wake you," the elf said, a worried tone in his voice.

"It... it was just a dream," Ember said, inhaling deeply. Her fingers grasped the bedroll; the rough, greasy texture felt wonderful.

"Then it was no normal dream."

"I've had similar ones before. There's this voice, chastizing me.. and daggers of bone. Tonight it wanted to claim some due I owe it."

"Perhaps you owe it your gift of healing?"

Ember laughed quietly. "To some nightmarish creature who never is pleased with me?" She fell silent, remembering that she had dreamed of the voice before she knew she could heal. "I did discover I could heal after I dreamed of the voice. And I could heal twice after the second time I dreamed of it," she said thoughtfully.

"Your abilites may arise from spiting the creature. It is a powerful thing that can lock your spirit in a dream, and it is more likely that one such being has interest in you than two."

"If you're right, I should be able to heal three times now. I guess we'll find out later." Ember closed her eyes. The voice still rang in her ears; a voice with no trace of benevolence or compassion or warmth, and definitely not a voice you'd expect to bestow healing gifts. Could that voice belong to someone... something real? A chill ran down her spine.

"I hope there will be no need to find out. You should get some rest; dawn is hours away," Kivan said.

"I don't think I can sleep any more." Ember said. "Why are you awake, anyway? Have you slept at all?"

The elf shook his head. "I can manage."

"Then so can I." Ember took a blanket and sat down next to the elf. Huddled together for warmth, they waited for dawn.

---

"What a remarkable sense of style," Edwin said, eyeing the largest tent in the camp. "(Yes. Decaying decor, with accompanying odours. It suits these simians.)"

"I have little doubt you appreciate it," Ajantis whispered.

"Quiet; he's being sarcastic," Imoen scolded Ajantis.

Tazok's tent was a large structure on a wooden platform. The tent itself was shaped like a dome. Corpses were nailed to the outside of the tent, their extended arms forming a circle around it. Ember was grateful that it was still too dark to see the bodies clearly.

The air inside the tent was damp and musty, but not as bad as the outside suggested. Lit torches hung from the support beams, large banners with the emblems of the Chill and the Black Talon were nailed to the walls, and a large, thronelike chair stood in the middle of a collection of chests. In the dim light, they could see two humans, a gnoll, and a hobgoblin in the back of the tent, standing around a bound man. One of the humans, a burly man dressed in heavy mail, turned and glared at Ember and her friends. "I don't care who you are, no one's to enter Tazok's tent, under penalty of death!" he bellowed.

"Oh, but we're here under Tazok's own instructions," Imoen said. "He told us to fetch his documents and bring them to him as soon as possible." Behind her, Edwin muttered quietly.

"You lie," the other man - a mage, judging by his robe - said. "I know who you are. Like Ender Sai, here, you've crossed the Iron Throne for the last-" The sentence went unfinished as Edwin cast a spell of horror on them bandits. Minsc felled the gnoll with a well-placed arrow while the two humans cowered in fear in the corner; the spell had also hit their prisoner, who was shaking and pulling at his bonds, trying to flee. The hobgoblin was the only one unaffected by the spell. He ran towards a weapons rack, but Ember fell upon him before he reached it. With one swift stroke, she cut his head off.

By the time the prisoner recovered from the spell, the two human bandits were also dead, and Imoen was busily inspecting the room for traps. "Demons!" the man shouted, then looked confusedly around.

"No demons," Ajantis told the man in a calm tone as he freed him. "It was merely a spell, one that was not intended for you."

"You're not with him, are you? No, I'd smell his rancid breath on you if you were."

"That's right, we're not with Tazok," Ember said. "Why have they held you here?"

"This is what you get for stepping on the toes of the Iron Throne, as I have," the man said. "This place is dirty to the core; The Chill think Tazok's getting orders from the Zhents, and the Black Talons don't do much to discourage that particular line of thinking, but it wasn't messing with Zhentarim that landed me here as Tazok's personal prisoner. There be others elsewhere, like that priest Mulahey sent to poison the mines of Nashkel. Set himself up as a kobold god returned..."

"He's dead," Imoen said. "We killed him and the kobolds."

"Do you know where Tazok is now?" Kivan asked.

"Tazok? He's been making regular visits to the Cloakwood, so that's where I'd start if I were you. He keeps his documents in that chest over there," he said, pointing at a large chest bound with bronze. "They might be worth taking a look at. Step on some toes, alright?"

"Evil shall hide both butts and toes in fear when Minsc finds them, for Minsc can both trample and kick, with very large boots!" Minsc proclaimed.

The man smiled and grabbed a short sword from the weapon rack. "Good. Tell them Ender Sai sent you, if you would. I find this a fight I must bow out of, alas." He bowed theatrically to Ember and Imoen and snuck out of the tent.

"What a bufflehead," Imoen chuckled. She deactivated a trap on the document chest and opened it. "Ooh, more spells! Look, Eddie, I think this is a fireball scroll!"

"Where?!" the wizard asked excitedly. Imoen handed the scroll to him with a grin; he held it tenderly to his chest, as though it were a small child.

Ajantis inspected the weapons rack and pulled out a bow. "I believe this is better than yours, Minsc," he said. "Imoen, could you examine it?"

"Of course," Imoen said, "just let me finish with this chest. Ew, stinking cloud... horror... and here, some letters!" Imoen handed the two letters to Ember and went to identify the bow.

Ember opened the scrolls and quickly skimmed their contents. "They're both from someone named Davaeorn," she said. "He instructed Tazok to hire that assassin in Nashkel to kill us. The other letter asks what happened to us and asks for a shipment of iron and ore to their base in Cloakwood. It says they need to stockpile before they give an ultimatum, but it doesn't say to whom."

"To the Dukes of Baldur's Gate, I would guess," Ajantis said.

Ember nodded. "Makes sense. No explicit mention of the Iron Throne, though. So we still have no tangible proof, only hearsay."

"I suppose their Cloakwood base will be our next target, then," Ajantis said.

"Yeah. But we're not finished here yet," Ember said.

They quietly left the tent and spread out through the bandit camp. Kivan and Ember headed straight for Taugosz Tenhammer's tent. A young man was standing guard outside it; in his half-dozing state, he was an easy target, and Ember slit his throat before he could ask them their intentions. They hurried on into the tent. Taugosz was fast asleep, sprawled across a cot and snoring gently. Kivan drew his hammer and, with one swift blow, crushed Taugosz's windpipe. The man's limbs flailed wildly, and his mouth opened in a scream, but no sound emerged.

Kivan bent over Taugosz as he struggled in vain to breathe. "Do you remember me?" the elf hissed. "Do you remember my Deheriana? How you laughed as Tazok choked the life out of her with his hands?" The expression on Taugosz's face was anguished; if there were any signs of recollection in it, Ember could not tell.

"May her pain be yours. And may you rot eternally," Kivan spat. They watched as Taugosz's gaze turned glassy and his body fell limp.

As soon as they were certain Taugosz was dead, they left the tent. The bandits had been alerted by now; people were stumbling out of the tents, and at least one structure in the hobgoblin part of the camp was on fire. Kivan drew his bow and began firing arrows at his enemies.

With her sword drawn, Ember moved towards one of the largest tents. Someone came out of the doorway as she approached. She ran him through with her sword, pulled it from his body as he lay dying, and stepped over him into the tent.

---

Not quite like I imagined it, Imoen thought, brushing stray hair out of her eyes. As far as she could tell, the bandit camp was destroyed, along with all that were in it. The sun had barely risen, and the air was beginning to fill with buzzing flies.

There were bodies everywhere. Human, gnoll, hobgoblin; all dead. Minsc had wandered to the edge of the camp, claiming that all the blood made Boo sad even though it was evil. Imoen felt like joining them.

"This could have been done much more cleanly with just a few fireballs," Edwin said. "(I could do it with less than half a dozen strategically placed ones, I am certain.)"

Imoen squeezed the wizard's arm. Earlier, she'd watched him obliterate the Chill leader and half a dozen other hobgoblins with a single bolt of lightning and some strategic ricocheting. It'd stunk of burnt flesh, of course, but at least it'd been less messy. "I think you're right, Eddie," she said.

"My name is not Eddie," Edwin said, but he sounded much more subdued than usual.

In front of them, Kivan was gazing around the battlefield. He stood still for a moment, sighed, untied his string of scalps from his belt and, to Imoen's astonishment, threw them on a fire.

"By Helm," Ajantis whispered. At first, Imoen thought he said it because of Kivan, but then she noticed he was looking somewhere else. She turned to see what he was looking at, and froze.

Ember had emerged from behind a tent. She was plastered with blood - not her own, Imoen was fairly certain - that liberally stained her armor and clothing, especially around her hands and feet. Her hair was wet, and red droplets fell from the tips every now and then. Her sword was still unsheathed.

And she was smiling.

#2 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:04 PM

Hi, I'm still reading this serial. I'd just like to say I love the way Ember is turning out. Though I would do it differently, I must say this is one of the better ways I have seen (or can think of) for dealing with the obvious potential bloodlust for Charname. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

#3 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:54 AM

Ember fell backwards, but there was no floor to meet her. The void swallowed her again, and she kept on falling and falling and falling...

I totally forgot what the original words in that dream were; quite chilling. Whoo! :lol:

Ember laughed quietly. "To some nightmarish creature who never is pleased with me?"

If you're gonna be a hero-type you'd better get used to that, Ember.

"Then so can I." Ember took a blanket and sat down next to the elf. Huddled together for warmth, they waited for dawn.

D'awww.

"What a remarkable sense of style," Edwin said, eyeing the largest tent in the camp. "(Yes. Decaying decor, with accompanying odours. It suits these simians.)"

I don't think that really matters to Ajantis, Imoen. :lol:

"Tazok? He's been making regular visits to the Cloakwood, so that's where I'd start if I were you. He keeps his documents in that chest over there," he said, pointing at a large chest bound with bronze. "They might be worth taking a look at. Step on some toes, alright?"

Oh, they will. Believe me, they will. With iron-shod boots.

"Evil shall hide both butts and toes in fear when Minsc finds them, for Minsc can both trample and kick, with very large boots!" Minsc proclaimed.

Or very large boots, yeah.

"What a bufflehead," Imoen chuckled. She deactivated a trap on the document chest and opened it. "Ooh, more spells! Look, Eddie, I think this is a fireball scroll!"

"Where?!" the wizard asked excitedly. Imoen handed the scroll to him with a grin; he held it tenderly to his chest, as though it were a small child.

Teehee. *ruffles Eddie's hair*

They quietly left the tent and spread out through the bandit camp. Kivan and Ember headed straight for Taugosz Tenhammer's tent. A young man was standing guard outside it; in his half-dozing state, he was an easy target, and Ember slit his throat before he could ask them their intentions. They hurried on into the tent. Taugosz was fast asleep, sprawled across a cot and snoring gently. Kivan drew his hammer and, with one swift blow, crushed Taugosz's windpipe. The man's limbs flailed wildly, and his mouth opened in a scream, but no sound emerged.

Blergh. :D

But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, really. It is Kivan in the bandit's tent with the hammer, after all.

There were bodies everywhere. Human, gnoll, hobgoblin; all dead. Minsc had wandered to the edge of the camp, claiming that all the blood made Boo sad even though it was evil. Imoen felt like joining them.

Boo is right, Minscy. Bleh.

Imoen squeezed the wizard's arm.

I repeat: D'awww. ;)

They're such a cute student-teacher couple. Totally platonic. And all that. :twisted:

Earlier, she'd watched him obliterate the Chill leader and half a dozen other hobgoblins with a single bolt of lightning and some strategic ricocheting. It'd stunk of burnt flesh, of course, but at least it'd been less messy. "I think you're right, Eddie," she said.

Eddie's gettin' good, eh? Of course he is, he's a smart cookie!

"My name is not Eddie," Edwin said, but he sounded much more subdued than usual.

Heh. Soon enough he won't protest at all.

In front of them, Kivan was gazing around the battlefield. He stood still for a moment, sighed, untied his string of scalps from his belt and, to Imoen's astonishment, threw them on a fire.

Well, good! Surely they were taking up quite a bit of room by now!

'Course, he's still gotta get Tazok...

Ember had emerged from behind a tent. She was plastered with blood - not her own, Imoen was fairly certain - that liberally stained her armor and clothing, especially around her hands and feet. Her hair was wet, and red droplets fell from the tips every now and then. Her sword was still unsheathed.

And she was smiling.

Er... scary much? Sounds like the future Mrs. Commodore Bhaal to me! Time to get a grip, Ember!

*shamble like a zombie* Mooooore Embeeer! Okay, okay, you can take a bit to write it. ;)

#4 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:42 AM

Hi, I'm still reading this serial. I'd just like to say I love the way Ember is turning out. Though I would do it differently, I must say this is one of the better ways I have seen (or can think of) for dealing with the obvious potential bloodlust for Charname. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Glad you liked it :twisted: As for what is coming next... I Have Plans :D

#5 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:04 AM

I totally forgot what the original words in that dream were; quite chilling. Whoo! ;)

I can't remember how I found them, but I did manage to locate the texts for all the dreams, both good and evil versions of them, in the dialogue files :lol: Like you, I gave her this dream before the camp was taken instead of after, you damn parallel universe writing person you :?

Ember laughed quietly. "To some nightmarish creature who never is pleased with me?"

If you're gonna be a hero-type you'd better get used to that, Ember.

Ember: What if I am not pleased with the creature?

D'awww.

It's just friendly, so don't get carried away ;)

Oh, they will. Believe me, they will. With iron-shod boots.

Something like that ;)

Or very large boots, yeah.

;)

He'll be getting the fireball wand soon, as well :D

Taugosz was fast asleep, sprawled across a cot and snoring gently. Kivan drew his hammer and, with one swift blow, crushed Taugosz's windpipe. The man's limbs flailed wildly, and his mouth opened in a scream, but no sound emerged.

Blergh. :D

But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, really. It is Kivan in the bandit's tent with the hammer, after all.

Exactly. And Kivan said he wanted Taugosz to die slowly yet without alerting the entire camp, so I complied.

And then Ajantis had to go honourably challenging the bandits, waking several up before they could be killed in their beds :twisted:

Boo is right, Minscy. Bleh.

Very much so ;) Minsc likes the fight, but he doesn't like the death.

I repeat: D'awww. :D

They're such a cute student-teacher couple. Totally platonic. And all that. :lol:

Edwin: Of course it is totally platonic! (What is that person insinuating?)

Imoen: Hey, he was upset, I was upset. What's wrong with a little sympathy arm squeeze?

Edwin: I was not upset! (Merely lamenting the inefficiency and the messy carnage. Not disgusted at all. Yes, that's it.)

Imoen: *squeezes Edwin's arm again* Whatever you say, Eddie.

Earlier, she'd watched him obliterate the Chill leader and half a dozen other hobgoblins with a single bolt of lightning and some strategic ricocheting. It'd stunk of burnt flesh, of course, but at least it'd been less messy. "I think you're right, Eddie," she said.

Eddie's gettin' good, eh? Of course he is, he's a smart cookie!

My Edwin blows shit up with style :D

Heh. Soon enough he won't protest at all.

We'll see. He really is a bit distraught by the carnage, after all. He likes things to be done more neatly, so you don't get a solid eyeful of consequences later.

Well, good! Surely they were taking up quite a bit of room by now!

Kivan: Aye. But this... this is too much.

Imoen: *whispering* I think he just figured out exactly what he was doing.

'Course, he's still gotta get Tazok...

Of course, but he'll be quite a bit more sane about it.

And she was smiling.

Er... scary much? Sounds like the future Mrs. Commodore Bhaal to me! Time to get a grip, Ember!

Commodore?

Ember: I made my scribe queasy, even after she toned down the description of what I did.

*shamble like a zombie* Mooooore Embeeer! Okay, okay, you can take a bit to write it. :D

Hehe ;) I'll be going on vacation in ten days' time, but I might well be able to get out at least one more chapter before then.

#6 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 22 July 2006 - 06:10 PM

I totally forgot what the original words in that dream were; quite chilling. Whoo! :D

I can't remember how I found them, but I did manage to locate the texts for all the dreams, both good and evil versions of them, in the dialogue files :lol: Like you, I gave her this dream before the camp was taken instead of after, you damn parallel universe writing person you :P

:D You know what they say: Great minds think alike. :roll:

I'm sure we've both got some tricks up our sleeves that the other hasn't thought of, though.

D'awww.

It's just friendly, so don't get carried away :)

Hehe. I know, I just thought it was cute.

He'll be getting the fireball wand soon, as well :)

Oooh, some major chaos coming up! I can't wait. :D

I repeat: D'awww. :D

They're such a cute student-teacher couple. Totally platonic. And all that. :P

Edwin: Of course it is totally platonic! (What is that person insinuating?)

Imoen: Hey, he was upset, I was upset. What's wrong with a little sympathy arm squeeze?

Edwin: I was not upset! (Merely lamenting the inefficiency and the messy carnage. Not disgusted at all. Yes, that's it.)

Imoen: *squeezes Edwin's arm again* Whatever you say, Eddie.

Buahahaha! You two are too easy. :D

And she was smiling.

Commodore?

I was thinking of a line in Pirates of the Caribbean, where Jack is tlaking about Elizabeth and he calls her "the future Mrs. Commodore" because she's going to marry Norrington... I just make silly jokes like that sometimes. :D

*shamble like a zombie* Mooooore Embeeer! Okay, okay, you can take a bit to write it. :D

Hehe :D I'll be going on vacation in ten days' time, but I might well be able to get out at least one more chapter before then.

Heh. Take your time. And enjoy your vacation if I don't get to wish you happy trails before then! :P

#7 Guest_Finduilas_*

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

She snapped awake, gasping for air. Kivan was standing over her. "I could not wake you," the elf said, a worried tone in his voice.

"It... it was just a dream," Ember said, inhaling deeply. Her fingers grasped the bedroll; the rough, greasy texture felt wonderful.

"Then it was no normal dream."

I think you could say that.

"If you're right, I should be able to heal three times now. I guess we'll find out later." Ember closed her eyes. The voice still rang in her ears; a voice with no trace of benevolence or compassion or warmth, and definitely not a voice you'd expect to bestow healing gifts. Could that voice belong to someone... something real? A chill ran down her spine.

Yeah, I can see why that would be worrisome.

Maybe he should pray to Helm for the gift of Sarcasm Detection. :roll:

Tazok's tent was a large structure on a wooden platform. The tent itself was shaped like a dome. Corpses were nailed to the outside of the tent, their extended arms forming a circle around it. Ember was grateful that it was still too dark to see the bodies clearly.

Ewwww. I guess I blocked that out of my mind since the last time I played.

LOL. A man who loves his work.

Kivan bent over Taugosz as he struggled in vain to breathe. "Do you remember me?" the elf hissed. "Do you remember my Deheriana? How you laughed as Tazok choked the life out of her with his hands?" The expression on Taugosz's face was anguished; if there were any signs of recollection in it, Ember could not tell.

"May her pain be yours. And may you rot eternally," Kivan spat. They watched as Taugosz's gaze turned glassy and his body fell limp.

Good job with this part. It always bothered me that Kivan didn't comment when he got his revenge on the bandits who killed his wife.

Imoen squeezed the wizard's arm. Earlier, she'd watched him obliterate the Chill leader and half a dozen other hobgoblins with a single bolt of lightning and some strategic ricocheting. It'd stunk of burnt flesh, of course, but at least it'd been less messy. "I think you're right, Eddie," she said.

Aww, he's softening.

That's a good sign.

"By Helm," Ajantis whispered. At first, Imoen thought he said it because of Kivan, but then she noticed he was looking somewhere else. She turned to see what he was looking at, and froze.

And she was smiling.

Do I get the understatement of the year award if I say that's a very *bad* sign?

Whoa. The next chapter should be...interesting.

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:50 PM

Like you, I gave her this dream before the camp was taken instead of after, you damn parallel universe writing person you :lol:

:) You know what they say: Great minds think alike. :roll:

I'm sure we've both got some tricks up our sleeves that the other hasn't thought of, though.

I am absolutely certain of that :)

He'll be getting the fireball wand soon, as well :D

Oooh, some major chaos coming up! I can't wait. :D

Edwin: I know what I am doing. (Doubting simians.)

Commodore?

I was thinking of a line in Pirates of the Caribbean, where Jack is tlaking about Elizabeth and he calls her "the future Mrs. Commodore" because she's going to marry Norrington... I just make silly jokes like that sometimes. :D

Ah :P

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:15 PM

Yeah, I can see why that would be worrisome.

And it is the only logical conclusion if Kivan's theory is right (which it is).

Maybe he should pray to Helm for the gift of Sarcasm Detection. :roll:

That, or he picked up the habit himself. Personally, I am not sure which it is; probably a little of both :D

Ewwww. I guess I blocked that out of my mind since the last time I played.

I'd forgotten about it as well till I looked at the map again.

LOL. A man who loves his work.

This is true :P

Good job with this part. It always bothered me that Kivan didn't comment when he got his revenge on the bandits who killed his wife.

Heck, he'll stand there and smile (well, maybe not smile) and act like nothing if he's in a camp infiltrating party, even when Tazok talks to them!

Aww, he's softening.

Maybe, maybe not. The main intention was to have him a bit too squicked out by all the dead bodies to brush Imoen off as thoroughly as usual :lol:

That's a good sign.

Yep. They can't all go downhill from here :)

And she was smiling.

Do I get the understatement of the year award if I say that's a very *bad* sign?

Something like that, yes.

Whoa. The next chapter should be...interesting.

Maybe it will be, but probably not the way you think.

#10 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:21 PM

"Such pride undeserved, great predator, when your whole being is borrowed." It was the voice she'd heard in other nightmares. This time, it seemed amused even as it accused her. "Credit where it is due, and dues where payment is demanded."

Even Bhaal does not approve of her smugness. :roll:

"I've had similar ones before. There's this voice, chastizing me.. and daggers of bone. Tonight it wanted to claim some due I owe it."

I wouldn’t want to owe everything to the owner of that voice.

It’s a bandit camp, Eddie. Be impressed that they have any décor at all. :D

"Oh, but we're here under Tazok's own instructions," Imoen said. "He told us to fetch his documents and bring them to him as soon as possible." Behind her, Edwin muttered quietly.

Alas, you cannot make this Bluff check, try as hard as you might. :P

"This is what you get for stepping on the toes of the Iron Throne, as I have," the man said. "This place is dirty to the core; The Chill think Tazok's getting orders from the Zhents, and the Black Talons don't do much to discourage that particular line of thinking, but it wasn't messing with Zhentarim that landed me here as Tazok's personal prisoner. There be others elsewhere, like that priest Mulahey sent to poison the mines of Nashkel. Set himself up as a kobold god returned..."

The important plot exposition… Endar Sai must be a relative of that Stephen Re’Cap, in Cloakwood mines. :lol:

My preciousssss! :) :)

"I suppose their Cloakwood base will be our next target, then," Ajantis said.

"Yeah. But we're not finished here yet," Ember said.

And the bandits have not finished with you… though they will wish they hadn’t started!

Well, I guess he must feel pretty thrilled doing that. Will it bring any sort of relief in the long term, though?

Yeah, it would make me sick as well. I know we clean the bandit camp in the game, but I think realistically the whole operation would disperse if you would just kill the leaders in the camp. So in a way, this kind of massacre probably was not needed.

Pfew. Hopefully that is the end of that obsession. :D :D

And she was smiling.

Well, someone is certainly getting pretty scary here!

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:46 PM

Even Bhaal does not approve of her smugness. :roll:

Bhaal doesn't approve of anyone's smugness except his own.

I wouldn’t want to owe everything to the owner of that voice.

Neither does Ember.

It’s a bandit camp, Eddie. Be impressed that they have any décor at all. :D

Edwin: They would be the laughing stock in Thay. (And then they would be in the stockades.)

The important plot exposition… Endar Sai must be a relative of that Stephen Re’Cap, in Cloakwood mines. :P

Something like that. I was pretty tempted to just cut him out :)

My preciousssss! :D :D

He has the potential to do some real damage now :P

Ajantis: I disagree with this decision!

Edwin: Yes, we all know that by now. (As if he would know the first thing about the proper application of spells.)

Well, I guess he must feel pretty thrilled doing that. Will it bring any sort of relief in the long term, though?

A little. And in a very short while, he will realize that there comes a time when you've killed enough minions and collecting them as mementos is pointless.

Yeah, it would make me sick as well. I know we clean the bandit camp in the game, but I think realistically the whole operation would disperse if you would just kill the leaders in the camp. So in a way, this kind of massacre probably was not needed.

In the game, you do actually get the option to just kill the leaders. The bandits outside don't automatically turn hostile. Unfortunately for them, Ember and Kivan were in the party (and I don't think Edwin's presence helped, either) :)

Pfew. Hopefully that is the end of that obsession. :D :D

Yeah. He'll settle for Tazok's death from now on.

And she was smiling.

Well, someone is certainly getting pretty scary here!

Hey, she made me queasy while I was writing her :lol:

#12 Laufey

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:32 PM

Rini: Afraid so, sis...

Yes, because this tent has a sense of Eeeeeevil about it. :roll:

Awwwww! *huggles Eddie*

"This could have been done much more cleanly with just a few fireballs," Edwin said. "(I could do it with less than half a dozen strategically placed ones, I am certain.)"

Yes, in reality it *would* be quite messy, so he probably is right there.

And she was smiling.

Oh dear...somebody freaking out a teensy bit?
Rogues do it from behind.

#13 Guest_sparrow_*

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:41 PM

Aw - a very cool dream as well. The dream seems both familiar and not at the same time - is it from in game? I really can't remember.

:P

:lol: Simply adorable. Yet I can't imagine Eddie liking children much. :D

:D Nice - how Kivan should have reacted in game.

:) Aw another indication that Edwin isn't the big bad wizard that he thinks he is, and nice to see that everyone is yet to be desensitised to so much death.

And she was smiling.

:roll:

A very fitting title you've got there, and looking forward to more! :)

#14 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:12 AM

Rini: Afraid so, sis...

Ember: Bah.

Yes, because this tent has a sense of Eeeeeevil about it. :roll:

Well, you have to admit it does :P

Awwwww! *huggles Eddie*

Rest assured he'll put it to good use :D

Yes, in reality it *would* be quite messy, so he probably is right there.

His way would be faster, as well.

And she was smiling.

Oh dear...somebody freaking out a teensy bit?

Yep; Ajantis and Imoen :lol:

Ember: What? Is something wrong?

#15 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:23 AM

[quote][quote]"Then so can I." Ember took a blanket and sat down next to the elf. Huddled together for warmth, they waited for dawn. [/quote]

Aw - a very cool dream as well. The dream seems both familiar and not at the same time - is it from in game? I really can't remember.
[/quote]

It's in the game, but it usually happens after the bandit camp falls :lol: Also, I altered it a little.

[quote]
[quote]"What a bufflehead," Imoen chuckled. She deactivated a trap on the document chest and opened it. "Ooh, more spells! Look, Eddie, I think this is a fireball scroll!"

"Where?!" the wizard asked excitedly. Imoen handed the scroll to him with a grin; he held it tenderly to his chest, as though it were a small child. [/quote]

:P Simply adorable. Yet I can't imagine Eddie liking children much. :P
[/quote]

Yeah, he might well hold a child like a spellscroll :D

[quote]
[quote]Kivan bent over Taugosz as he struggled in vain to breathe. "Do you remember me?" the elf hissed. "Do you remember my Deheriana? How you laughed as Tazok choked the life out of her with his hands?" The expression on Taugosz's face was anguished; if there were any signs of recollection in it, Ember could not tell.

"May her pain be yours. And may you rot eternally," Kivan spat. They watched as Taugosz's gaze turned glassy and his body fell limp. [/quote]

:D Nice - how Kivan should have reacted in game.
[/quote]

I was slightly inspired by his reaction to Viconia dying when she's in party.
The game really would have benefited from more comments when there are people other than Charname with personal agendas.

[quote]

Imoen squeezed the wizard's arm. [/quote]

:D Aw another indication that Edwin isn't the big bad wizard that he thinks he is, and nice to see that everyone is yet to be desensitised to so much death.
[/quote]

Almost everyone, anyway.

Edwin: I am as bad as they come! (And with this new scroll, the world will be mine!)

[quote]
[quote]Ember had emerged from behind a tent. She was plastered with blood - not her own, Imoen was fairly certain - that liberally stained her armor and clothing, especially around her hands and feet. Her hair was wet, and red droplets fell from the tips every now and then. Her sword was still unsheathed.

And she was smiling.[/quote]

:roll:

A very fitting title you've got there, and looking forward to more! :)[/quote]

I originally just wrote 'bloodbath' as a placeholder title. By the time the chapter was done, it fit :) Next chapter will be more subdued.

#16 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:40 PM

"If you're right, I should be able to heal three times now. I guess we'll find out later."

Yes, you will... when Ajantis gets shot with a poisoned arrow and you neutralize the venom in him. :twisted:

Edwin? Sarcastic? Never! Say it ain't so!

Yeah, well, he'd get more lovin' outta that scroll than any child... I bet kids hate him. :lol:

While a smart-bomb delivered right through the window from 20000 feet up might work, there's nothing quite like blistering the entire area with artillery fire... makes a statement, you know. :lol:

And she was smiling.

Enara: (One eyebrow raised) "Er... you got some red on ya..."

:wink:

#17 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:13 PM

"If you're right, I should be able to heal three times now. I guess we'll find out later."

Yes, you will... when Ajantis gets shot with a poisoned arrow and you neutralize the venom in him. :twisted:

Why do I get the feeling you don't like Ajantis? :lol:

Yeah, well, he'd get more lovin' outta that scroll than any child... I bet kids hate him. :lol:

Yeah, I have a hard time imagining him caring for a child without a serious mental adjustment.

While a smart-bomb delivered right through the window from 20000 feet up might work, there's nothing quite like blistering the entire area with artillery fire... makes a statement, you know. :wink:

Edwin: Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to learn more.

And she was smiling.

Enara: (One eyebrow raised) "Er... you got some red on ya..."

Ember: Hm, I guess I did.

#18 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:53 PM

Why do I get the feeling you don't like Ajantis?

Actually, I do like him... quite a bit. I'm just surprised at your portrayal of him since a large number of folks here tend to despise paladins of any sort. (With the exception of Keldorn who is just awesome in so many different ways) I always feel like the semi-vocal minority who actually likes the "stereotypical" hero. :twisted:

As for the "Got some red on ya" comment... shame on you for not catching the Shaun of the Dead reference. :wink:

#19 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:08 PM

Why do I get the feeling you don't like Ajantis?

Actually, I do like him... quite a bit. I'm just surprised at your portrayal of him since a large number of folks here tend to despise paladins of any sort. (With the exception of Keldorn who is just awesome in so many different ways) I always feel like the semi-vocal minority who actually likes the "stereotypical" hero. :wink:

Well, let's see how you'll feel about the chapter I am about to post, then :twisted:

As for the "Got some red on ya" comment... shame on you for not catching the Shaun of the Dead reference. :lol:

The explanation for that is clearly that I haven't seen the movie in question :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com