Ember's Tale 29: Cloak and Dagger

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:19 PM

Chapter 29: Cloak and Dagger

The bandits that accosted Ember and her friends at the ruined druid circle were soon dealt with, but many more followed; the farther they got into the woods, the more often they came across small groups of brigands. Most of them wore the red and black of the Black Talon, and Kivan's scalp collection had grown visibly larger by nightfall.

On their second day in the forest, they came across a larger group. A dozen or so bandits were squatting around a small fire, eating bread and roast meat. A cloaked person was sitting under a tree.

"Ready?" Imoen whispered to Edwin.

"Of course I am ready! (Foolish girl...)" Edwin replied. He pulled a wand from his belt and activated it with practiced ease, summoning five large wolves. The creatures were glassy-eyed and stood passively around the group, staring at Edwin.

"Kill," Edwin told them. The wolves obediently loped towards the group of bandits, snarling ferociously. Ember and her companions waited a few moments before they added to the attack with arrows, swords, and spells. A bolt of lightning that Edwin shot across the camp proved a very efficient means of scattering the brigands.

The person under the tree had not moved when the wolves charged, but stood up when the attack was escalated. A feminine body was now discernible through the cloak, but her hood was still up, masking her face. Ember walked slowly towards the woman, her sword held ready.

"Free me!" the woman said, holding out her hands. They were covered with smooth, dark skin, and bound with a severely knotted rope. Ember hesitated and glanced uncertainly at her companions. She knew Kivan and Ajantis would not be pleased... Does it matter what they think? She is our enemy's prisoner, Ember decided, and cut the woman's bonds with her sword, noting with idle curiosity how frost crystals blossomed on the frayed edges of the rope as she cut it. The drow immediately extended a hand towards one of the bandits and shouted a word. The bandit, who had been chasing Imoen around the fire, fell unconscious to the ground.

"Hey, thanks!" Imoen yelled, and ran her blade through the incapacitated bandit.

Three more brigands were rendered defenseless by the drow's words. When there was only one bandit left standing, she cast an intricate spell on him, freezing him in place with his sword raised to strike Ajantis. Ajantis's unblocked counterattack skewered the bandit, and he died before the spell loosened its hold on him.

"Good work, all," Ajantis said, panting.

"But are we done?" Kivan asked, holding an arrow trained on the woman. Her hood had fallen during the battle, revealing long white hair and a beautiful dark face.

The woman smiled coolly at Kivan. "Yes, you are done," she said before turning to Ember. "I am Viconia. You released me. I thank you."

"What is a drow priestess doing in these woods?" Ajantis asked, an accusing tone in his voice.

Viconia looked haughtily at the paladin. "I was traveling south when these iblith captured me." When Ajantis continued to glare at her, she laughed. "If it is of any consolation, I am no servant of the Spider Queen; the Goddess Shar grants me wisdom, and she is a surface divinity," she said. "Your darthiir could learn much from her, I believe."

Kivan scowled at Viconia. She ignored him, and addressed Ember again. "I know your sword. Treasure it, for it will serve you well. I take my leave of you now; perhaps our paths will cross again." Her tone was defiant, as if she expected them to hold her captive.

Ember sheathed her sword. "Fare well," she said pleasantly.

"Good bye, pretty lady," Minsc said.

Viconia nodded at Minsc. "I advise you to keep that one around. He knows when, and how, to speak," she told Ember. Without further ceremony, the drow woman headed back to the tree she'd been sitting under. Two large sacks were behind them. She opened both sacks and pulled out a hammer, several pieces of chainmail armor and a small pack.

"There is little of worth, even to you surfacers. Take it if you wish," Viconia said as she strapped on the chainmail, which fit her like a glove. She slung the pack on her back, raised the hood of her cloak, and strode majestically down the path away from the bandit's campsite.

"We should have questioned her more thoroughly," Ajantis said after the drow had vanished from sight. "I do not trust her."

I knew you'd say something like that, Ember thought irritably. "There are more important tasks at hand than interrogating the bandits' prisoners about their own motives," she said, her tone a bit sharper than intended.

"Would it have mattered as much if she were less attractive?" Edwin asked. "(Yes, quite attractive... one wonders at the reception she would have had in Thay...)"

"Silence, wizard," Ajantis growled.

Kivan walked up to the closest body and hacked its scalp off.

---

A few miles further on, they stopped for a meal. Minsc and Kivan had caught a brace of rabbits, and Ember waited impatiently for the meat to finish roasting; even the smell of their blood was enough to make her hungry, but Minsc was adamant that nobody should eat the meat before it was completely cooked.

It was the largest, densest forest Ember had ever been in. Finding the bandit camp would be tedious. Especially the way we're going about it, Ember mused. Not that the bandits they'd killed didn't deserve it, of course, but if they were to let some of them live for questioning, it might make their task easier. If the bandits would answer, and if they would answer truthfully...

Across the camp, Imoen whooped with delight. Progress? Ember looked up and saw her friend excitedly hug the red wizard. Edwin did his best to brush the girl off, but Ember could see a hint of a proud smile on his face.

Imoen ran towards Ember and plopped down next to her. "Guess what!" she said. "I've managed to scribe a spell!" She proudly opened her spellbook and showed it to Ember. Almost all the pages were as blank as when she got the book, but the first page now held a gleaming white curlicue.

"That's great, Immy!" Ember exclaimed. "Which spell is it?"

"Identify," she said.

Ember laughed. "What did Edwin say about that?"

"Oh, he says it's barely more than a cantrip, of course."

"Of course," Ember grinned. "Immy, what do you think about questioning our bandit friends about their camp?"

"Hmm, I'm not sure. It could help, but..."

"They might send us on a wild goose chase."

"Exactly." Imoen said. "Unless they have no reason to! Em, let's pretend to join them!"

"Join them?" Ember burst out laughing. "You have to be joking! Nobody would think Ajantis were a bandit, and Kivan would never do it!"

"Ajantis could smudge his armor a bit and stop saying 'by Helm!' for a while, and Kivan might do it if it'd help him get at Tazok sooner," Imoen said. "If they'd let us join, they might show us the camp, and if they don't let us join, we can try to interrogate them, and if that doesn't work, we can just kill them like usual."

Ember smiled. "That actually does sound like a plan."

The two girls presented the plan over dinner, and their comrades reacted as expected; Edwin was indifferent, Minsc had no objections to sneaking the sword of justice into the belly of Evil before using it, and Ajantis found masquerading as brigands dishonorable but agreed that it might make their task easier.

Kivan was quiet for a long time before speaking. "Ember, you and Imoen must take the lead in this. I will not speak to those fiends."

"We can do that," Ember said.

"This will be fun!" Imoen chirped. "Ajantis, do you know how to make your armor look less shiny?"

---

Raiken was not pleased. He, a commander of the Black Talon, should not have had to take a patrol out no matter how many men were missing. He glared at the group of people that had just entered the clearing; hopefully, killing them would improve his mood.

"It's your choice which hits the ground first," Raiken bellowed, "your swords or your heads! Be smart now and you'll all live to grow wise!"

One of the two women in the group, a tall girl wearing dark grey, stepped forward. "We'll not fight you. In fact, we want to join your group," she said.

Raiken looked at the woman. She looked right back at him with a steady, unwavering gaze. Strong, she appeared, and that sword of hers was vicious. The others had potential, as well; an elf with a longbow, the largest human Raiken had ever seen, a dour looking man in stained plate armor, a brightly-dressed girl who smiled confidently and winked at him, and a... a Red Wizard of Thay? A promising group, indeed, but Raiken knew better than to let them know that. "Why, pray tell, should we take you rattle-pates?" he asked.

The woman smiled. "You're too good at your job! We can see which way the wind is blowing, and whatever you're doing, we want in. I assure you, we are worth it."

At that answer, Raiken couldn't help but chuckle. "I like you, you make me laugh! We'll take you back to the boss and see if he likes you too. Then maybe you're in. If not, you die," he said. "Follow me and try to keep up."

---

They would have spent days finding the bandit camp, Ember realized as they were led into the camp after nightfall. It was on the far northern edge of the forest, hidden between several hillocks. Dozens of men and hobgoblins were milling around, many of them in various stages of drunkenness, and the camp itself was the size of a small village.

"There are too many," Kivan whispered in Ember's ear while their guide argued with one of the camp guards. "We cannot move tonight; let us wait till dawn."

"Dawn it is," Ember whispered back. If we get a choice about the matter, anyway, she thought. The camp guard left and returned a short while later, followed by a hobgoblin wearing a helm with giant horns and a man dressed in an elaborate suit of platemail. The man talked briefly with their guide, shooting glances at Ember and her companions.

Finally, the man approached. "I am Taugosz "Tenhammer," leader of the Black Talon," he told Ember.

"I have heard of you," Ember said.

"Good. Then you know you are small and weak compared," Taugosz said. "Remember this. You cross Talons and I kill you. Not with hammer, with little finger. Slowly."

Ember looked straight at him. "You have my respect, but I'll not fear you. It's better placed with our quarry," she said.

Taugosz grinned at her, seemingly pleased with her response. "Good attitude. Be sure to keep it when Tazok arrive. He hires Black Talons for Iron Throne, but you take orders only from me. Understand? Stay away from Chill as well, they only our friends 'till the job is finished."

Ember nodded in agreement. Taugosz instructed their guide to show them to a tent, and left. Their guide took them to a large, empty tent on the east side of the camp.

"How cozy," Edwin remarked as he disdainfully studied the trampled dirt floor and the filthy bedrolls.

"It could be worse," Ember said. Kivan sighed heavily behind her, and she turned to look at him. Her heart fell at the sight; he was trembling and his fists were clenched so hard that the knuckles were white. "Kivan, are you all right?" she asked quietly.

"He was there," Kivan said in an hoarse whisper. "Tenhammer was with Tazok, even then."

Ember reached out and squeezed his hand. She'd known all along that this would be difficult for him, but witnessing this reaction was a different matter entirely than merely knowing that one was likely to come. "We'll make him pay in the morning," she said.

#2 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:15 PM

The bandits that accosted Ember and her friends at the ruined druid circle were soon dealt with, but many more followed; the farther they got into the woods, the more often they came across small groups of brigands. Most of them wore the red and black of the Black Talon, and Kivan's scalp collection had grown visibly larger by nightfall.

He should have quiet alot of them now.

"Kill," Edwin told them. The wolves obediently loped towards the group of bandits, snarling ferociously. Ember and her companions waited a few moments before they added to the attack with arrows, swords, and spells. A bolt of lightning that Edwin shot across the camp proved a very efficient means of scattering the brigands.

Ah, the joys of summons.

Three more brigands were rendered defenseless by the drow's words. When there was only one bandit left standing, she cast an intricate spell on him, freezing him in place with his sword raised to strike Ajantis. Ajantis's unblocked counterattack skewered the bandit, and he died before the spell loosened its hold on him.

Ah... Hold.

Viconia looked haughtily at the paladin. "I was traveling south when these iblith captured me." When Ajantis continued to glare at her, she laughed. "If it is of any consolation, I am no servant of the Spider Queen; the Goddess Shar grants me wisdom, and she is a surface divinity," she said. "Your darthiir could learn much from her, I believe."

Oh, Viki is so lovely.

"There is little of worth, even to you surfacers. Take it if you wish," Viconia said as she strapped on the chainmail, which fit her like a glove. She slung the pack on her back, raised the hood of her cloak, and strode majestically down the path away from the bandit's campsite.

Queen of the world ;)

"Ajantis could smudge his armor a bit and stop saying 'by Helm!' for a while, and Kivan might do it if it'd help him get at Tazok sooner," Imoen said. "If they'd let us join, they might show us the camp, and if they don't let us join, we can try to interrogate them, and if that doesn't work, we can just kill them like usual."

Good, she is trig our Imoen

"Good. Then you know you are small and weak compared," Taugosz said. "Remember this. You cross Talons and I kill you. Not with hammer, with little finger. Slowly."

I wonder what that would look like.

Ember reached out and squeezed his hand. She'd known all along that this would be difficult for him, but witnessing this reaction was a different matter entirely than merely knowing that one was likely to come. "We'll make him pay in the morning," she said.

Mmm... There is still a lot of them.

#3 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:18 PM

and Kivan's scalp collection had grown visibly larger by nightfall.

Perhaps he should invest in a safe-deposit box for storing all of those bloody trophies. :D

He pulled a wand from his belt and activated it with practiced ease, summoning five large wolves.

Ah, the good old days... when Wands of Monster Summoning and stuff were actually useful...

Falynn: "Yeah, these days I just tend to disintegrate my enemies instead of sending hordes of little critters after 'em. It's just a lot cleaner."

A feminine body was now discernible through the cloak, but her hood was still up, masking her face.

I have NO IDEA who this is... :lol:

(Snort)

Nice. You have the party bickering, the alliance amongst all the members is clearly uneasy, perhaps even starting to fragment in some ways, and, of course, what does Kivan do? He goes off to get himself some more bandit scalps.

Plus, the line itself, spaced into its own paragraph as it is, really emphasizes how completely abrupt his action is, and gives it just the kind of punch you want for a section closer.

but Minsc was adamant that nobody should eat the meat before it was completely cooked.

Castle: "Of course! Uncooked meat might make little Ember sick, and then who would help Minsc in his kicking of the evil-butts?"

:roll:

It was the largest, densest forest Ember had ever been in. Finding the bandit camp would be tedious. Especially the way we're going about it, Ember mused.

Raven: "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

:D

"We'll make him pay in the morning," she said.

Too bad they don't have guns. Nothing says "payback" quite like a little bit of Shooty-Shooty-Shooty action...

BANG!

BANG! BANG! BANG!

:lol:

#4 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:50 PM

The person under the tree had not moved when the wolves charged, but stood up when the attack was escalated. A feminine body was now discernible through the cloak, but her hood was still up, masking her face. Ember walked slowly towards the woman, her sword held ready.

Hi, Viccy!

"Free me!" the woman said, holding out her hands. They were covered with smooth, dark skin, and bound with a severely knotted rope. Ember hesitated and glanced uncertainly at her companions. She knew Kivan and Ajantis would not be pleased... Does it matter what they think? She is our enemy's prisoner, Ember decided, and cut the woman's bonds with her sword, noting with idle curiosity how frost crystals blossomed on the frayed edges of the rope as she cut it. The drow immediately extended a hand towards one of the bandits and shouted a word. The bandit, who had been chasing Imoen around the fire, fell unconscious to the ground.

Hey, she's useful as well as pretty! Keep 'er! :)

I also like dthat bit about the frost on the rope; very cool little reminder of its magic. Er, literally.

Hold spells: Hell on the party, but useful as all get-out when you've got them. :)

Kivan scowled at Viconia. She ignored him, and addressed Ember again. "I know your sword. Treasure it, for it will serve you well. I take my leave of you now; perhaps our paths will cross again." Her tone was defiant, as if she expected them to hold her captive.

Aah, yes, the Sharran sword. A little history you have planned for it, maybe?

Viconia nodded at Minsc. "I advise you to keep that one around. He knows when, and how, to speak," she told Ember.

See Viccy. See Viccy strut. Strut, Viccy, strut.

Viconia: I believe you surfacers have a saying... "If you've got it, flaunt it." Well, I do. So I flaunt it.

I knew you'd say something like that, Ember thought irritably. "There are more important tasks at hand than interrogating the bandits' prisoners about their own motives," she said, her tone a bit sharper than intended.

Gettin' a little impatient with ol' Goody-Two-Shoes there, Ember? Understandable. Keep company with Edwin, he's much more stimulating conversation! :D

Edwin: Be quiet, or she will follow your advice! (I have my hands full enough with Imoen as it is...)

"Would it have mattered as much if she were less attractive?" Edwin asked. "(Yes, quite attractive... one wonders at the reception she would have had in Thay...)"

I imagine she would get a good reception, yes, Eddie... the question is, how long until she would've hacked your head off? :lol:

Kiiiiivan, time for some anger maaaaanagement classes!

A few miles further on, they stopped for a meal. Minsc and Kivan had caught a brace of rabbits, and Ember waited impatiently for the meat to finish roasting; even the smell of their blood was enough to make her hungry, but Minsc was adamant that nobody should eat the meat before it was completely cooked.

Good idea, Minsc. Food poisoning can be quite the inconvenience when you're fighting for your life, after all.

Across the camp, Imoen whooped with delight. Progress? Ember looked up and saw her friend excitedly hug the red wizard. Edwin did his best to brush the girl off, but Ember could see a hint of a proud smile on his face.

D'awwwwww! :D That was almost disgustingly cute!

"Exactly." Imoen said. "Unless they have no reason to! Em, let's pretend to join them!"

Told ya it'd be easier, Ember. But noooo, you had to hear it from Imoen first! Pfeh, see if I offer you advice again...

Just kiddin'. You can't get rid of me. :D

Buahaha! I can see it now...

Ajantis (in the middle of a large group of bandits): By Helm!

Bandits: :lol: ... :)

Ajantis: Oops.

Kivan was quiet for a long time before speaking. "Ember, you and Imoen must take the lead in this. I will not speak to those fiends."

I can see how an increasingly bloodthirsty Bhaalspawn and her overly-cheerful friend might create a disturbing leadership for the party... Imoen would be taken as somewhat mad and Ember would just scare the hell out of the bandits. :roll:

Willow: This guy's not so tough. Sneak a sword under that fancy platemail of his and all you've got is a can full of raw meat.

Ember looked straight at him. "You have my respect, but I'll not fear you. It's better placed with our quarry," she said.

Ah, the ever-useful, "Hey, man, I'm not as girly as I look" answer. The Bhaalspawn saga is full of them, eh?

"How cozy," Edwin remarked as he disdainfully studied the trampled dirt floor and the filthy bedrolls.

You'd better get some sleep anyway, Eddie. Don't want you getting yourself beat up tomrrow.

"It could be worse," Ember said. Kivan sighed heavily behind her, and she turned to look at him. Her heart fell at the sight; he was trembling and his fists were clenched so hard that the knuckles were white. "Kivan, are you all right?" she asked quietly.

"He was there," Kivan said in an hoarse whisper. "Tenhammer was with Tazok, even then."

Poor Kivan. :) I'm only now beginning to feel guilty for what I did to him in my own story. :D

#5 Guest_IronDragon_*

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:19 PM

[quote]

Chapter 29: Cloak and Dagger

The bandits that accosted Ember and her friends at the ruined druid circle were soon dealt with, but many more followed; the farther they got into the woods, the more often they came across small groups of brigands. Most of them wore the red and black of the Black Talon, and Kivan's scalp collection had grown visibly larger by nightfall. [/quote] One of the les palatable ideas of the game. Scalps????
Ugh
Worse…one of my evil PC’s thought the game should allow him to scalp strangers and claim they were bandits and get rich quick.

Ii don’t play evil for a reason.

[quote]
"Of course I am ready! (Foolish girl...)" Edwin replied. He pulled a wand from his belt and activated it with practiced ease, summoning five large wolves. The creatures were glassy-eyed and stood passively around the group, staring at Edwin. [/quote] Eddie was born ready

[quote]
"Free me!" the woman said, holding out her hands. They were covered with smooth, dark skin, and bound with a severely knotted rope. Ember hesitated and glanced uncertainly at her companions. She knew Kivan and Ajantis would not be pleased... Does it matter what they think? She is our enemy's prisoner, Ember decided, and cut the woman's bonds with her sword, noting with idle curiosity how frost crystals blossomed on the frayed edges of the rope as she cut it. [/quote]The implied racism among the Paladins of the game is another disturbing aspect of this game. I will have to confront that sometime.

[quote]
"What is a drow priestess doing in these woods?" Ajantis asked, an accusing tone in his voice.[/quote] Accusing or not…it is a good question

[quote] Viconia looked haughtily at the paladin. "I was traveling south when these iblith captured me." When Ajantis continued to glare at her, she laughed. "If it is of any consolation, I am no servant of the Spider Queen; the Goddess Shar grants me wisdom, and she is a surface divinity," she said. "Your darthiir could learn much from her, I believe." [/quote]
Probably not the wisest thing to say…but appropriate

[quote]
"Would it have mattered as much if she were less attractive?" Edwin asked. "(Yes, quite attractive... one wonders at the reception she would have had in Thay...)" [/quote] Beauty is only skin deep Eddy

[quote]
A few miles further on, they stopped for a meal. Minsc and Kivan had caught a brace of rabbits, and Ember waited impatiently for the meat to finish roasting; even the smell of their blood was enough to make her hungry, but Minsc was adamant that nobody should eat the meat before it was completely cooked.[/quote] Minsc is wise

Nice subtle reference to the taint BTW

[quote]It was the largest, densest forest Ember had ever been in. Finding the bandit camp would be tedious. Especially the way we're going about it, Ember mused. Not that the bandits they'd killed didn't deserve it, of course, but if they were to let some of them live for questioning, it might make their task easier. If the bandits would answer, and if they would answer truthfully... [/quote] Ve half vays of making you talk

[quote] Across the camp, Imoen whooped with delight. Progress? Ember looked up and saw her friend excitedly hug the red wizard. Edwin did his best to brush the girl off, but Ember could see a hint of a proud smile on his face.

Imoen ran towards Ember and plopped down next to her. "Guess what!" she said. "I've managed to scribe a spell!" She proudly opened her spellbook and showed it to Ember. Almost all the pages were as blank as when she got the book, but the first page now held a gleaming white curlicue.

"That's great, Immy!" Ember exclaimed. "Which spell is it?"

"Identify," she said. [/quote]Having the spells look like the spell symbol is a very nice idea

[quote]
"Join them?" Ember burst out laughing. "You have to be joking! Nobody would think Ajantis were a bandit, and Kivan would never do it!"[/quote] but get Ajantis an eye patch and he minght

[quote
"Ajantis could smudge his armor a bit [/quote]Sacrilege!!!

So there are no anal retentive…I mean tidy bandits?

[quote]

Raiken looked at the woman. She looked right back at him with a steady, unwavering gaze. Strong, she appeared, and that sword of hers was vicious. The others had potential, as well; an elf with a longbow, the largest human Raiken had ever seen, a dour looking man in stained plate armor, a brightly-dressed girl who smiled confidently and winked at him, and a... a Red Wizard of Thay? A promising group, indeed, but Raiken knew better than to let them know that. "Why, pray tell, should we take you rattle-pates?" he asked.[/quote] I’m not sure I would trust this particular crew...maybe if they had well polished armor

[quote]

"Good. Then you know you are small and weak compared," Taugosz said. "Remember this. You cross Talons and I kill you. Not with hammer, with little finger. Slowly."[/quote] Death by pinky…how humiliating

[quote]
"How cozy," Edwin remarked as he disdainfully studied the trampled dirt floor and the filthy bedrolls. [/quote] Brightly dyed curtains made form musty bedrolls can brighten up even the dingiest of evil doers quarters.

#6 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:46 PM

Urm, maybe they should get him a small cart to carry them around? :lol:

Edwin doing what he should be best at, conjuring things and creatures. :lol:

Go for it! You won’t get another chance until BG2! :D

"Free me!" the woman said, holding out her hands. They were covered with smooth, dark skin, and bound with a severely knotted rope. Ember hesitated and glanced uncertainly at her companions. She knew Kivan and Ajantis would not be pleased... Does it matter what they think? She is our enemy's prisoner,

The enemy of the enemy is… not always your friend. :)

"But are we done?" Kivan asked, holding an arrow trained on the woman. Her hood had fallen during the battle, revealing long white hair and a beautiful dark face.

I bet he would loved to get her scalp!

"What is a drow priestess doing in these woods?" Ajantis asked, an accusing tone in his voice.

There is a sense of Evil about her!

"We should have questioned her more thoroughly," Ajantis said after the drow had vanished from sight. "I do not trust her."

Yes, well you can stop thinking about her, now that she’s gone.

"Would it have mattered as much if she were less attractive?" Edwin asked. "(Yes, quite attractive... one wonders at the reception she would have had in hay...)"

Yes, well, maybe you will see her again, Eddie. :D

It’s getting like a bit of a ritual – soon everyone will be asking him to do it!

It was the largest, densest forest Ember had ever been in. Finding the bandit camp would be tedious. Especially the way we're going about it, Ember mused. Not that the bandits they'd killed didn't deserve it, of course, but if they were to let some of them live for questioning, it might make their task easier. If the bandits would answer, and if they would answer truthfully...

Well, Kivan could make them talk… he would just have to show them his collection of scalps.

Well, I suppose it really is, but it’s a cantrip he can’t do! :D

"Join them?" Ember burst out laughing. "You have to be joking! Nobody would think Ajantis were a bandit, and Kivan would never do it!"

Then ditch those losers and get yourself some more… flexible party members! :) :)

Well, you hardly speak to anyone, so I’m sure they were about to do that anyway! :roll:

"This will be fun!" Imoen chirped. "Ajantis, do you know how to make your armor look less shiny?"

Oooh, I would pay to see him rolling about in the mud! :D

They would have spent days finding the bandit camp, Ember realized as they were led into the camp after nightfall. It was on the far northern edge of the forest, hidden between several hillocks. Dozens of men and hobgoblins were milling around, many of them in various stages of drunkenness, and the camp itself was the size of a small village.

Yes, I found it to be pretty impressive in the game. :)

They always talk like this, don’t they? And then we kill them. :D

Watch him carefully… he can be a danger to you all, when he gets like this!

He’ll get revenge for breakfast! :D

#7 Guest_Jean_*

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:04 AM

Kivan: *takes a drag on a cigarette* So, wanna see 'em? Got blond 'ns, red'nds, brown'ns, dyed'ns...got some wi'the skulls still attached.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol: Looking over the other replies, it seems that Kivan and his scalp collection have caught people's imagination.

"Of course I am ready! (Foolish girl...)" Edwin replied. He pulled a wand from his belt and activated it with practiced ease, summoning five large wolves. The creatures were glassy-eyed and stood passively around the group, staring at Edwin.

Immy and Eddie, sitting in a tree...what? everyone else at the Attic has been doing this recently - it's my turn now. :D (Even when I'm inventing romantic feelings where there are none.)

The woman smiled coolly at Kivan. "Yes, you are done," she said before turning to Ember. "I am Viconia. You released me. I thank you."

No one can beat Viconia when it comes to poise. :roll:

Aww. *adores Minsc*

Kivan: *spits* I got me a ginger'un.

How much better a place Faerun would be if everyone just listened to Minsc. Common sense would doubtless prevail everywhere. :D Though admittedly, there's be a constant nut shortage on account of all the people carry miniature giant space hamsters around with them.

"Ajantis could smudge his armor a bit and stop saying 'by Helm!' for a while,

*snickers* I can't help but expect that Ajantis the bandit will be about as convincing as Koveras the monk in Candlekeep. Oh well. I'm sure I do him an injustice.

Good. *fetches popcorn*

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:22 PM

Most of them wore the red and black of the Black Talon, and Kivan's scalp collection had grown visibly larger by nightfall.

He should have quiet alot of them now.

Yes, he does.

Imoen: *wrinkles nose* I know they dry out pretty fast, but I still think they make him smell funny.

Ah... Hold.

A bit more interesting than Command, neh?

Oh, Viki is so lovely.

The woman has class :lol:

Good, she is trig our Imoen

Trig?

I wonder what that would look like.

Probably very painful.

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:30 PM

and Kivan's scalp collection had grown visibly larger by nightfall.

Perhaps he should invest in a safe-deposit box for storing all of those bloody trophies. :roll:

Oh, he'll come up with something.

Ember: I'm just glad he only collects small pieces and not the entire scalps.

Edwin: Perhaps he intends to weave a rug from them? (I would not put it past these barbarians to do such a tasteless thing...)

He pulled a wand from his belt and activated it with practiced ease, summoning five large wolves.

Ah, the good old days... when Wands of Monster Summoning and stuff were actually useful...

You mean, when Monster Summoning was actually useful. I was deeply disappointed the first time I cast that spell in BG II :D

Falynn: "Yeah, these days I just tend to disintegrate my enemies instead of sending hordes of little critters after 'em. It's just a lot cleaner."

:)

A feminine body was now discernible through the cloak, but her hood was still up, masking her face.

I have NO IDEA who this is... :lol:

The mystery! The allure! The allure of a mystery! Who could it BE?! :)

(Snort)

Nice. You have the party bickering, the alliance amongst all the members is clearly uneasy, perhaps even starting to fragment in some ways, and, of course, what does Kivan do? He goes off to get himself some more bandit scalps.

And he does it angrily, too :lol: (I felt 'hacked' was sufficient and 'angrily hacked' was overkill. Was I right or wrong?)

Plus, the line itself, spaced into its own paragraph as it is, really emphasizes how completely abrupt his action is, and gives it just the kind of punch you want for a section closer.

Glad it worked as intended :)

but Minsc was adamant that nobody should eat the meat before it was completely cooked.

Castle: "Of course! Uncooked meat might make little Ember sick, and then who would help Minsc in his kicking of the evil-butts?"

Boo: *squeak*

It was the largest, densest forest Ember had ever been in. Finding the bandit camp would be tedious. Especially the way we're going about it, Ember mused.

Raven: "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Well, we're trying to kill the bandits, not wipe the continent off the face of Toril :)

(I hate the name Toril. To me, it's a trite woman's name; it can be compared with having a planet named Betty.)

"We'll make him pay in the morning," she said.

Too bad they don't have guns. Nothing says "payback" quite like a little bit of Shooty-Shooty-Shooty action...

BANG!

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Your team would know all about that :D

#10 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:15 PM

Does it matter what they think? She is our enemy's prisoner, Ember decided, and cut the woman's bonds with her sword, noting with idle curiosity how frost crystals blossomed on the frayed edges of the rope as she cut it. The drow immediately extended a hand towards one of the bandits and shouted a word. The bandit, who had been chasing Imoen around the fire, fell unconscious to the ground.

Hey, she's useful as well as pretty! Keep 'er! :P

I almost wish I could, but I couldn't do her justice in the long run, and she would not mesh with the party. Plus, I do have plans for her, no matter how small :D

I also like dthat bit about the frost on the rope; very cool little reminder of its magic. Er, literally.

Thank you :D

Aah, yes, the Sharran sword. A little history you have planned for it, maybe?

Not really. Just adding a little touch of awareness of the sword's nature.

Viconia nodded at Minsc. "I advise you to keep that one around. He knows when, and how, to speak," she told Ember.

Minsc: Minsc knows many things!

See Viccy. See Viccy strut. Strut, Viccy, strut.

Viconia: I believe you surfacers have a saying... "If you've got it, flaunt it." Well, I do. So I flaunt it.

And none could do it better :P

Gettin' a little impatient with ol' Goody-Two-Shoes there, Ember? Understandable. Keep company with Edwin, he's much more stimulating conversation! :D

I guess that depends on what the topic is, actually. As it is, Edwin is quite a bit more reasonable about drow than most paladins (and elves) are.

Edwin: Be quiet, or she will follow your advice! (I have my hands full enough with Imoen as it is...)

Kiiiiivan, time for some anger maaaaanagement classes!

Kivan: *glare*

Good idea, Minsc. Food poisoning can be quite the inconvenience when you're fighting for your life, after all.

I figured this is the type of thing that Minsc would be aware of and take precautions against :D

D'awwwwww! :D That was almost disgustingly cute!

Wasn't it, though :D

Told ya it'd be easier, Ember. But noooo, you had to hear it from Imoen first! Pfeh, see if I offer you advice again...

Just kiddin'. You can't get rid of me. :D

At least she figured out on her own that maybe they should ask first and kill later :D

Buahaha! I can see it now...

Ajantis (in the middle of a large group of bandits): By Helm!

Bandits: :lol: ... :D

Ajantis: Oops.

Which is why I don't think Ajantis will be speaking any more than Kivan will :D

I can see how an increasingly bloodthirsty Bhaalspawn and her overly-cheerful friend might create a disturbing leadership for the party... Imoen would be taken as somewhat mad and Ember would just scare the hell out of the bandits. :D

Ember: I think I can do a more convincing job of maskerading than Willow, though.

(Cocky, ain't she?)

Willow: This guy's not so tough. Sneak a sword under that fancy platemail of his and all you've got is a can full of raw meat.

Rest assured, I have plans.

Ah, the ever-useful, "Hey, man, I'm not as girly as I look" answer. The Bhaalspawn saga is full of them, eh?

Well, they do happen to suit Ember at the moment :roll: (I hope it isn't necessary to point out that this confidence act is not an act)

You'd better get some sleep anyway, Eddie. Don't want you getting yourself beat up tomrrow.

Ah, he'll probably get himself beat up anyway. Or maybe not. But we would like him to be able to cast spells reliably, of course :D

Poor Kivan. :P I'm only now beginning to feel guilty for what I did to him in my own story. :D

Aw :P I was going to say you were kinder to Dynaheir, at least, but then I remembered you weren't by much :D

My Kivan has been remarkably un-angsty so far (other than the quiet scalping of Talons) but being in the camp and seeing the face of at least one of his actual torturers kind of had to bring it out of him a bit more.

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:09 PM

[quote]
One of the les palatable ideas of the game. Scalps????
Ugh
Worse…one of my evil PC’s thought the game should allow him to scalp strangers and claim they were bandits and get rich quick.

Ii don’t play evil for a reason.
[/quote]

The game does let you hand in a chewtoy as a scalp (if you're patched a certain way)

Notice, if you will, the complete absence of Officer Vai in my story :lol:

[quote]
[quote]
"Of course I am ready! (Foolish girl...)" Edwin replied. He pulled a wand from his belt and activated it with practiced ease, summoning five large wolves. The creatures were glassy-eyed and stood passively around the group, staring at Edwin. [/quote]
Eddie was born ready
[/quote]

Or so he'd like the world to think.

[quote]
"Free me!" the woman said, holding out her hands. They were covered with smooth, dark skin, and bound with a severely knotted rope. Ember hesitated and glanced uncertainly at her companions. She knew Kivan and Ajantis would not be pleased... Does it matter what they think? She is our enemy's prisoner, Ember decided, and cut the woman's bonds with her sword, noting with idle curiosity how frost crystals blossomed on the frayed edges of the rope as she cut it. [/quote]
The implied racism among the Paladins of the game is another disturbing aspect of this game. I will have to confront that sometime.
[/quote]

It is usually 'Good' that will see 'Evil' wherever they decide to look :D

[quote]
[quote]
"What is a drow priestess doing in these woods?" Ajantis asked, an accusing tone in his voice.[/quote] Accusing or not…it is a good question
[/quote]

Indeed it is :lol:

[quote]
[quote] Viconia looked haughtily at the paladin. "I was traveling south when these iblith captured me." When Ajantis continued to glare at her, she laughed. "If it is of any consolation, I am no servant of the Spider Queen; the Goddess Shar grants me wisdom, and she is a surface divinity," she said. "Your darthiir could learn much from her, I believe." [/quote]
Probably not the wisest thing to say…but appropriate
[/quote]

I figured Shar would give her a hint about Kivan being vengeful.

[quote]
[quote]
"Would it have mattered as much if she were less attractive?" Edwin asked. "(Yes, quite attractive... one wonders at the reception she would have had in Thay...)" [/quote] Beauty is only skin deep Eddy
[/quote]

I'm sure Viconia's entrails are lovely.

[quote]
[quote]
A few miles further on, they stopped for a meal. Minsc and Kivan had caught a brace of rabbits, and Ember waited impatiently for the meat to finish roasting; even the smell of their blood was enough to make her hungry, but Minsc was adamant that nobody should eat the meat before it was completely cooked.[/quote] Minsc is wise
[/quote]

Minsc: Boo told me so!

[quote]
Nice subtle reference to the taint BTW
[/quote]

Thanks :) (I guess it really was subtle, as my initial thought was 'what reference?' before I remembered :) )

[quote]
[quote]
"Identify," she said. [/quote]Having the spells look like the spell symbol is a very nice idea
[/quote]

I don't want them to look just like they do in game, but I figure they'll keep the colours (red, blue, white) and have somewhat systematic shapes. Like Imoen said early on, a certain squiggle denotes fire, a different one denotes a protective spell. Kind of like Chinese letters.

[quote]
[quote]
"Join them?" Ember burst out laughing. "You have to be joking! Nobody would think Ajantis were a bandit, and Kivan would never do it!"[/quote] but get Ajantis an eye patch and he minght
[/quote]

I toyed with the idea of having him pretend to be a fallen paladin, but he insisted on applying as few falsehoods as possible to this dishonourable deception :D

[quote]
[quote
"Ajantis could smudge his armor a bit [/quote]Sacrilege!!!
[/quote]

I believe it is, actually, although I suspect Helm will allow it in this case as long as the armor is maintained in perfect working condition under the smudges :D

[quote]
Raiken looked at the woman. She looked right back at him with a steady, unwavering gaze. Strong, she appeared, and that sword of hers was vicious. The others had potential, as well; an elf with a longbow, the largest human Raiken had ever seen, a dour looking man in stained plate armor, a brightly-dressed girl who smiled confidently and winked at him, and a... a Red Wizard of Thay? A promising group, indeed, but Raiken knew better than to let them know that. "Why, pray tell, should we take you rattle-pates?" he asked.[/quote] I’m not sure I would trust this particular crew...maybe if they had well polished armor
[/quote]

If you think about it, would you want a bandit that gleamed in the sun and was visible for miles and miles? If you were another bandit and not a victim, that is?

[quote]
[quote]
"Good. Then you know you are small and weak compared," Taugosz said. "Remember this. You cross Talons and I kill you. Not with hammer, with little finger. Slowly."[/quote] Death by pinky…how humiliating
[/quote]

It is a fine mental image, though :)

[quote]
[quote]
"How cozy," Edwin remarked as he disdainfully studied the trampled dirt floor and the filthy bedrolls. [/quote] Brightly dyed curtains made form musty bedrolls can brighten up even the dingiest of evil doers quarters.[/quote]

:roll:

#12 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:15 PM

Urm, maybe they should get him a small cart to carry them around? :D

They're pretty small scalp segments but yeah, he is starting to get a beltful :)

Edwin doing what he should be best at, conjuring things and creatures. :)

Lightning counts as a thing, I take it :D

Go for it! You won’t get another chance until BG2! :roll:

Go for what exactly :P

"Free me!" the woman said, holding out her hands. They were covered with smooth, dark skin, and bound with a severely knotted rope. Ember hesitated and glanced uncertainly at her companions. She knew Kivan and Ajantis would not be pleased... Does it matter what they think? She is our enemy's prisoner,

The enemy of the enemy is… not always your friend. :)

Very true. But, Viconia asked nicely (for her, anyway), so... :D

I bet he would loved to get her scalp!

No. She's not a Black Talon, and he's not some deranged furrier.

There is a sense of Evil about her!

Yes, well you can stop thinking about her, now that she’s gone.

"Would it have mattered as much if she were less attractive?" Edwin asked. "(Yes, quite attractive... one wonders at the reception she would have had in hay...)"

Yes, well, maybe you will see her again, Eddie. :lol:

Maybe. And where did the T in Thay go? :P

It’s getting like a bit of a ritual – soon everyone will be asking him to do it!

But then he'd say 'no'. Or just shake his head quietly.

Well, Kivan could make them talk… he would just have to show them his collection of scalps.

Good point! :D

Well, I suppose it really is, but it’s a cantrip he can’t do! :P

Imoen: Exactly!

Then ditch those losers and get yourself some more… flexible party members! :D :D

Flexible isn't always fun, you know.

Well, you hardly speak to anyone, so I’m sure they were about to do that anyway! :)

Well, he has been doing a pretty okay (if quiet) job of leading so far.

Oooh, I would pay to see him rolling about in the mud! :D

More or less than what you'd pay to see Viconia rolling about in the mud? :P

They always talk like this, don’t they? And then we kill them. :D

Of course.

Watch him carefully… he can be a danger to you all, when he gets like this!

Give the guy some credit; he didn't show a thing while they were still in sight of the bandits.

He’ll get revenge for breakfast! :D

Yes. My next chapter(s) may require warnings, but then again, has anyone ever had a non bloody bandit camp encounter?

#13 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:21 PM

Most of them wore the red and black of the Black Talon, and Kivan's scalp collection had grown visibly larger by nightfall.

Kivan: *takes a drag on a cigarette* So, wanna see 'em? Got blond 'ns, red'nds, brown'ns, dyed'ns...got some wi'the skulls still attached.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol: Looking over the other replies, it seems that Kivan and his scalp collection have caught people's imagination.

Yes, it appears so :D

Immy and Eddie, sitting in a tree...what? everyone else at the Attic has been doing this recently - it's my turn now. :) (Even when I'm inventing romantic feelings where there are none.)

Sheesh :roll:

No one can beat Viconia when it comes to poise. :)

So true :)

Aww. *adores Minsc*

He may kick the butts of evil, but at least it has to act evil first! (Or be a gnoll.)

Kivan: *spits* I got me a ginger'un.

How much better a place Faerun would be if everyone just listened to Minsc. Common sense would doubtless prevail everywhere. :D Though admittedly, there's be a constant nut shortage on account of all the people carry miniature giant space hamsters around with them.

Well, maybe some of them would feed the hamsters other things; grains come to mind. There's usually quite a bit of grain around.

"Ajantis could smudge his armor a bit and stop saying 'by Helm!' for a while,

*snickers* I can't help but expect that Ajantis the bandit will be about as convincing as Koveras the monk in Candlekeep. Oh well. I'm sure I do him an injustice.

Yes. Because he is not going to speak to the vermin at all :D

Good. *fetches popcorn*

I hope I won't disappoint :)

#14 Guest_sparrow_*

Posted 19 July 2006 - 06:00 AM

:twisted: Very Minsc. Very Viconia.

Aw! :)

Typical - but did you think about the fact that you can't cast Identify yourself, Eddie? :)

Ajantis found maskerading as brigands dishonorable but agreed that it might make their task easier.

Tiny spelling mistake. 8)

:) That's right Ember...make him pay with an entangle spell and missile weapons, the only way I can do it 8)

Thank you! :lol:

#15 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 19 July 2006 - 09:12 AM

:lol: Very Minsc. Very Viconia.

Thanks 8)

Aw! :D

I don't think there is an Edwin in existence that doesn't vehemently deny being cute, even when he is :D

Typical - but did you think about the fact that you can't cast Identify yourself, Eddie? :P

Edwin: As if the girl doesn't remind me of that fact every single day...

Ajantis found maskerading as brigands dishonorable but agreed that it might make their task easier.

Tiny spelling mistake. :P

Thanks for catching it :)

:( That's right Ember...make him pay with an entangle spell and missile weapons, the only way I can do it :P

Ember: Good plan. *looks around* Uh, can anyone cast entangle?

When I play through this, I do it with ranged weapons, many pauses and having the character Taugosz is chasing bravely run away :) (A tactic I use very often, but I think I only wrote it once, for the assassin in the inn in Beregost)

Anyway, it doesn't matter that nobody has entangle, as I Have Plans :twisted:

Thank you! :)

Thanks for commenting 8)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com