A Cappella Part 323 - Command Performance

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:11 AM

AC323-Command Performance

A performance deserving of standing ovations
And who would have thought it'd be the two us?
So don't wake me if I'm dreaming
'Cause I'm in the mood come on and give it up

You got me feeling hella good
So let's just keep on dancing
You hold me like you should
So I'm gonna keep on dancing

“Hella Good” No Doubt

Sir Ryan patted the neck of his warhorse as he squinted, trying to see in the moonless night. The horse snorted, and he smiled, well aware that he was more nervous than his mount.

To his right another knight shifted in his saddle. “Why do they keep us waiting? Our enemy is before us, there is no need for hesitation.” Some of the other nearby paladins muttered in agreement.

“Sir Ralert, I appreciate your enthusiasm. However, it takes more than eagerness to win a battle.”

Two men appeared out of the darkness. Sir Ralert swore under his breath as he started in surprise. Sir Ryan tried his best to conceal his smile when Ralert’s stallion turned his head to give his rider a disgusted stare.

Minsc gave them a broad smile. “The monsters are getting sleepy. It is near dawn, and they do not like the sun.”

Valygar nodded. “The guards are beginning to doze. We should be able to attack within the hour.”

Sir Ryan gave them a nod. “Excellent. You have our thanks for alerting us to this danger.”

With a shrug, Valygar said, “Thank Madulf. It was his scouts who told us that the Sythillisian forces were coming this way.”

The knight nodded towards the nearby ogre and his followers. “Amn is grateful for your aid.”

Madulf gave him a toothy smile. “We’se hold to deal with human village. We’se help protect them, they let us live in peace. Good deal, we think.”

Some of the knights muttered. One said, “Sir Ryan, we are deeply uncomfortable with all these… strangers. Surely the Order can handle this alone?”

Ryan sighed and said, “There are hundreds of goblins and kobolds in that camp, and only Torm knows how many dozens of ogres and hill giants. I have no idea why the Sythillisians are on the move again, but we must hold them back. There are many small villages and towns in the Umar Hills, and we must protect them.”

“Pretty words,” came a rough voice out of the darkness. Another horseman joined them. “A pity the Order did not think the fall of the south of Amn worth riding out over.”

“Lord Coprith… Logan. We have discussed this before. The Council asked the Order to remain in Athkatla as a last defense. We honored their request, though I wish now that we had not.”

The former High Merchant of Trademeet scowled. Terrible scars ran down his face and crossed his throat. He rasped, “The Council! Those fools were so concerned with wresting a profit from my sister and her cronies that they ignored a threat under their very noses.”

“Be fair, Logan. They could hardly ignore Riatavin and Trailstone revolting against Amn. I accept that Lady Aura had her reasons to lead the rebellion, but your sister’s decision could not have come at a worse time.”

“Sythillis was watching for any chance to attack. The Council gave him exactly what he wanted by pulling the army away from the south. And now a horde of humanoids controls land that used to be farms and fields.”

Several people stepped out of the night to join them. “So when do we start?” Imoen said cheerfully.

Lord Coprith scowled. “This is no party, girl.”

“She is well aware of that,” Mazzy said, her voice slightly scolding.

He gave her a sharp nod. “How is your mother, Lady Fentan? You were wise to persuade your family to move to Athkatla before the attack.”

“She is well, Lord Coprith. I will give her your greetings.”

He nodded again before turning his horse and trotting back to his men. Imoen gave him a sour look and said, “I thought you said he was nice, Jar.”

Jarran watched the former High Merchant ride off. “He was, Im, but…”

Mazzy said softly, “He lost his wife when the Sythillisians destroyed Trademeet. He was nearly torn apart himself by ogres when he found them trying to burn down an orphanage with the children still inside. He barely survived.”

Sir Ryan gave his men a look before saying, “We are glad that all of you could join us. While the might of the Order is a fearsome weapon, there is no denying that your help is greatly appreciated.”

Jarran gave him a smile. “I’m just sorry we weren’t in Amn earlier, or we would have tried to help during the invasion. As it is, there are only a handful of us.”

Minsc said enthusiastically, “But we have many solid boots to apply to evil’s ugly behinds! My Aerie waits to hear our glorious tales!”

Mazzy gave him an indulgent smile. “She is with your daughter?”

“She watches our Dynaheir, but she also wanted to be ready to defend the village if some of the evil ones get by us.”

Imoen laughed. “You know, Val and I talked about naming a daughter Dynaheir, and Jarran mentioned it to me, but you beat us to it.”

Mazzy sighed. “I regret that Lord Keldorn could not join us. I never had a chance to battle at his side.”

“And I bet Sarevok will be sorry he missed out on a fight,” Imoen said with a grin. “I need to work on those rings so that I can send him his.”

Valygar shivered. “You will not talk me into wearing one.”

“Come on, Val, they are only transportation rings.”

Only. Being yanked from place to place by magic?”

“But we will be able to visit our friends. I don’t like everyone I care about being miles and days away.”

Jaheira gave Valygar a small smile. “It is best to simply surrender now. Once Imoen has an idea firmly in her head, she will not relinquish it easily.”

The ranger sighed and rolled his eyes. “And I know that only too well.”

Sir Ryan tried not to laugh at their antics, covering his chuckle by clearing his throat. “I believe it is time. Ralert, tell the men to be ready for the signal.”

“And what is the signal?”

Imoen gave the knight a sly smile. “You’ll know.”

As quietly as possible, the assembled might of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart prepared for battle. As the massive group of horsemen waited at the top of the ridge, the sun began to rise behind them.

Suddenly the image of a red dragon’s head appeared in the center of the valley, spewing flame in a wide swath. Sir Ryan raised his arm in the air and sliced his sword forward as he urged his warhorse into a gallop. “For the Order!”

As the horses thundered down the slope, Sir Ryan could hardly keep track of the spells that changed the battlefield second by second. Fire rained from the sky, and in the flickering light he could see a group of what appeared to be shamans screaming and swatting their hide garments. Lightning crashed and arced.

The warhorses of the Order reached the humanoid army and swept through them, trampling as many as were pierced by lances. Out of the corner of his eye, Sir Ryan saw magical creatures of fire and earth attacking the goblin hordes.

A group of hill giants managed to rally against a unit of paladins who had become separated from the rest of the knights. As Sir Ryan was about to order his men to their rescue, a ball of flame exploded in the giants’ midst. Their screams of pain were cut off when a greenish mist fell over them.

Sir Ryan’s spirits lifted, and he very nearly laughed. He sternly brought himself to order, for battle was nothing to be taken lightly. The paladin suddenly realized that his lightened heart was due to the music that rang in his ears. Jarran had begun to sing.

To a man, the knights gave a shout and charged forward, eager to destroy the foes that threatened the Umar Hills. Ryan’s sword flashed and rang as he sliced his way through a wall of goblins.

Fragments caught his eye as he fought. Minsc bellowing with a combination of joy and battle fury as he mowed down whole groups of kobolds at a time. Jaheira strangling dozens with a mass of vines. Imoen firing off spell after spell as Valygar grimly guarded her. Mazzy fighting with a strength that did not match her diminutive size as she hacked at the goblins trying to bring down Lord Coprith’s horse.

The battle went on as the sun rose above edge of the hills. The humanoids cursed and wailed as the full light of day revealed the carnage in the valley. One wounded giant tried to call a retreat, but there was no escape from the Order’s swords.

Some of the men gave cries of victory, but Sir Ryan simply removed his helmet for a moment to wipe the sweat and blood from his brow. It amazed him how quickly their foes had fallen, but the credit lay with the powerful magic that had aided the paladins.

“Tired?”

The paladin looked down to see Jarran smiling up at him. “Aye. I fear that, like Lord Keldorn, I grow too old to ride out under the Order’s banner. I doubt I shall lead another command such as this.”

Mazzy limped up to them, holding a gash on her leg to slow its bleeding. “This was my last battle as well. I had not fought since my son was born, and I found myself too distracted by worries about his well-being.” She pressed her hand to her wound and mumbled a hasty prayer. As the sword cut closed, she said, “At least Arvoreen still blesses me with her gifts.”

Jarran said, “No one can fight forever. There is nothing wrong with admitting that it is time to stop.”

Sir Ryan snorted. “Spoken with all the wisdom of the young. There will come the day when you must lay down your arms, and then you will see how difficult it truly is.”

The bard laughed. “Well, that is the advantage of music. As long as I can strum a tune, I am happy.”

“I am glad someone is happy, but I certainly am not,” Valygar said with a scowl as he marched up to them carrying his wife in his arms. Minsc followed behind, his face full of concern.

“Val, please put me down,” Imoen said faintly. An arrow protruded from her shoulder and the front of her robe was soaked with blood. “It isn’t that deep.”

“We have to get this arrow out. Jarran, do you have a sleeping spell?”

Imoen rolled her eyes. “I’ve been injured worse than this. Just yank it out and heal me.”

Before Valygar could argue further, Sir Ryan leaned down and took hold of the arrow. He gave a hard pull, and Imoen squealed in surprise.

Valygar quickly cast a healing spell, then glared at the knight. “That was uncalled for.”

The paladin ignored the hostile tone and said, “On the battlefield, the best way to deal with wounds is to not dwell on them overmuch. I am sure your wife will agree.”

Imoen flexed her arm and said, “He’s right. It’s over with now. And speaking of over with, Lord Coprith took his men to chase down the last stragglers. What now?”

Sir Ryan looked out over the valley. The paladins were busy attending to their wounds and strapping the bodies of the dead to their horses. A group of able-bodied knights were searching the bodies of the Sythillisian leaders hoping to find anything that would tell of their plans. “When Logan returns, we will withdraw to Imnesvale and rest. I will order a patrol to keep watch for more humanoid troops.”

Minsc beamed at them. “The good knights will not just camp and rest! The people of my town will prepare a great feast for their protectors! Boo swears he can already smell the delicious food being cooked.”

“Really, that is not necessary.”

Jarran laughed. “What, deny them a chance to celebrate? Surely your knights won’t mind playing the heroes?”

“Well… it would be a pleasant change from field rations.”

“Ick, who would eat rations when they can have roasted meat?” Imoen said, her nose wrinkling at the thought.

“Besides,” Mazzy said with a smile, “we must persuade Jarran to play for us. Who knows when we shall be together like this again?”

The bard put his hand on her shoulder and gave it an affectionate squeeze. “I am always glad to sing and play… for my friends.”

#2 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 16 June 2006 - 03:10 PM

Two men appeared out of the darkness. Sir Ralert swore under his breath as he started in surprise. Sir Ryan tried his best to conceal his smile when Ralert’s stallion turned his head to give his rider a disgusted stare.

I love that horse :)

Minsc gave them a broad smile. “The monsters are getting sleepy. It is near dawn, and they do not like the sun.”

Valygar nodded. “The guards are beginning to doze. We should be able to attack within the hour.”

Who needs Drizzt when there are better rangers to be found?

With a shrug, Valygar said, “Thank Madulf. It was his scouts who told us that the Sythillisian forces were coming this way.”

Nice touch, adding Madulf into the later years.

...for some reason I just got a weird feeling I know how you're going to end AC.

The former High Merchant of Trademeet scowled. Terrible scars ran down his face and crossed his throat. He rasped, “The Council! Those fools were so concerned with wresting a profit from my sister and her cronies that they ignored a threat under their very noses.”

“Be fair, Logan. They could hardly ignore Riatavin and Trailstone revolting against Amn. I accept that Lady Aura had her reasons to lead the rebellion, but your sister’s decision could not have come at a worse time.”

“Sythillis was watching for any chance to attack. The Council gave him exactly what he wanted by pulling the army away from the south. And now a horde of humanoids controls land that used to be farms and fields.”

Politics :)

Mazzy said softly, “He lost his wife when the Sythillisians destroyed Trademeet. He was nearly torn apart himself by ogres when he found them trying to burn down an orphanage with the children still inside. He barely survived.”

Ouch :lol:

What happened to the orphans?

Sir Ryan gave his men a look before saying, “We are glad that all of you could join us. While the might of the Order is a fearsome weapon, there is no denying that your help is greatly appreciated.”

Jarran gave him a smile. “I’m just sorry we weren’t in Amn earlier, or we would have tried to help during the invasion. As it is, there are only a handful of us.”

Well, considering that their handful can probably do more than an entire army of the Order...

Imoen laughed. “You know, Val and I talked about naming a daughter Dynaheir, and Jarran mentioned it to me, but you beat us to it.”

It's very appropriate that Minsc got to use that name :(

Suddenly the image of a red dragon’s head appeared in the center of the valley, spewing flame in a wide swath. Sir Ryan raised his arm in the air and sliced his sword forward as he urged his warhorse into a gallop. “For the Order!”

I adore that spell.

Sir Ryan’s spirits lifted, and he very nearly laughed. He sternly brought himself to order, for battle was nothing to be taken lightly. The paladin suddenly realized that his lightened heart was due to the music that rang in his ears. Jarran had begun to sing.

I can't really imagine how that must sound; I never managed to use a BG bard efficiently, for that matter :D

Some of the men gave cries of victory, but Sir Ryan simply removed his helmet for a moment to wipe the sweat and blood from his brow. It amazed him how quickly their foes had fallen, but the credit lay with the powerful magic that had aided the paladins.

Told ya :)

The bard laughed. “Well, that is the advantage of music. As long as I can strum a tune, I am happy.”

Hopefully there'll be time for him to play music for peace as well :)

Imoen rolled her eyes. “I’ve been injured worse than this. Just yank it out and heal me.”

Before Valygar could argue further, Sir Ryan leaned down and took hold of the arrow. He gave a hard pull, and Imoen squealed in surprise.

Valygar quickly cast a healing spell, then glared at the knight. “That was uncalled for.”

It's so cute how Valygar is overprotective of her :)

Minsc beamed at them. “The good knights will not just camp and rest! The people of my town will prepare a great feast for their protectors! Boo swears he can already smell the delicious food being cooked.”

:)

“Besides,” Mazzy said with a smile, “we must persuade Jarran to play for us. Who knows when we shall be together like this again?”

The bard put his hand on her shoulder and gave it an affectionate squeeze. “I am always glad to sing and play… for my friends.”

Really sweet chapter, with all the friendship stuff going on and the battle itself being in the background :)

#3 Guest_Jean_*

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:49 PM

He nodded again before turning his horse and trotting back to his men. Imoen gave him a sour look and said, “I thought you said he was nice, Jar.”

Poor man. I liked him in the game. He was so much more sensible than most of the NPCs you could meet.

Sir Ryan snorted. “Spoken with all the wisdom of the young. There will come the day when you must lay down your arms, and then you will see how difficult it truly is.”

Touché, Sir Ryan. :lol:

I hope you aren't foreshadowing something nasty there, Silrana. *tries to glower menacingly* You haven't got anything else too horrible in store for Jarran's group, have you?

Aw. Sweet but a little sad too, because it follows on from what Mazzy said. They won't have much cause to be gathered together for adventure any more. :) *sniffs*

Thanks, Silrana. :(

#4 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:04 PM

I love that horse :D

Hehehe, it's smarter than its rider.

Who needs Drizzt when there are better rangers to be found?

*chuckles* Drizz't just gets better press.

Nice touch, adding Madulf into the later years.

Thankee.

...for some reason I just got a weird feeling I know how you're going to end AC.

*raises eyebrow*

*brings out venerable 'Wait and see'*

Politics :(

Yup. Amn is a bit of a mess at the moment.

Ouch :)

What happened to the orphans?

The source material isn't clear (Logan Coprith nearly dying in the process of rescuing orphans is canon) but it implies that he saved them.

Well, considering that their handful can probably do more than an entire army of the Order...

Close. :(

It's very appropriate that Minsc got to use that name :)

I thought so. :D

I adore that spell.

Me too. It's certainly an attention-getter.

I can't really imagine how that must sound; I never managed to use a BG bard efficiently, for that matter :)

Since Jarran is a skald, for him there is a fine line between singing and bellowing. :lol: And he has a deep voice.

Told ya :)

:D

Hopefully there'll be time for him to play music for peace as well :)

Oh, you'll know before too long.

It's so cute how Valygar is overprotective of her :)

He just can't help himself.

Party!

Really sweet chapter, with all the friendship stuff going on and the battle itself being in the background :)

Thanks!

#5 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

Poor man. I liked him in the game. He was so much more sensible than most of the NPCs you could meet.

He's a good man. It isn't really mentioned much at all in the game, but Lord Logan is a paladin.

Touché, Sir Ryan. :)

:lol:

I hope you aren't foreshadowing something nasty there, Silrana. *tries to glower menacingly* You haven't got anything else too horrible in store for Jarran's group, have you?

*laughs* If it makes you feel any better, do you remember that rash of horror movies that came out in the 70's where right at the end of all of them everyone died or something terrible happened? I loathed them.

Aw. Sweet but a little sad too, because it follows on from what Mazzy said. They won't have much cause to be gathered together for adventure any more. :( *sniffs*

All good things must come to an end, and "Jarran's party" has reached that point.

Thanks, Silrana. :D

You're welcome. And thanks for commenting.

#6 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 17 June 2006 - 03:07 AM

Nice. Quite nice.

I must now go back and read earlier chapters, however, as I am somewhat confused. . . I missed a few chapters. *pout*

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 17 June 2006 - 03:15 AM

Nice. Quite nice.

Thankee. :lol:

I must now go back and read earlier chapters, however, as I am somewhat confused. . . I missed a few chapters. *pout*

*chuckles* Even though the big 'will Jarran become a god' question was answered long ago, there has still been plenty of action. I hope you'll enjoy catching up.

#8 Guest_Wyvern_*

Posted 17 June 2006 - 03:45 AM

To his right another knight shifted in his saddle. “Why do they keep us waiting? Our enemy is before us, there is no need for hesitation.” Some of the other nearby paladins muttered in agreement.

Sounds like the type of paladins who are destined for an early grave. "Why can't we attack the Red Dragon? There's two of us and only one of him!"

Come on Val, it'll be fun having your atoms scattered back forth across Toril ...

Let me guess, it involves lots and lots of screaming.

Or a huge dragon head, but I'll bet there was still screaming.

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:25 PM

Sounds like the type of paladins who are destined for an early grave. "Why can't we attack the Red Dragon? There's two of us and only one of him!"

The young tend to be more impatient. They have to learn patience if they want to get any older.

Come on Val, it'll be fun having your atoms scattered back forth across Toril ...

Valygar: *shudders*

Let me guess, it involves lots and lots of screaming.

Imoen: Aw, how did you know?

Or a huge dragon head, but I'll bet there was still screaming.

Oh, yes. Lots and lots. :lol:

Thanks for commenting!

#10 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:44 PM

Heya! Cool.. A battle story.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I liked getting a chance to see Mazzy again, as well as all the others. I keep picturing Mazzy as a bounding pint-sized powerhouse.. Kinda like Ant-Man. :lol:

Perhaps I'm just over-sensitive to anachronisms, but is a mile an appropriate term for FR?

“But we will be able to visit our friends. I don’t like everyone I care about being miles and days away.”

I'm not entirely sure, but it seems even in the Old American West distances were more regularly measured in how many days to ride.. At least until the railroads came along. Like I said, though, maybe I'm just overly sensitive.

Still, you write a good battle. It certainly is easier to describe everything that happens from the POV of the battle leader, he's supposed to keep an eye on things. Much more difficult when describing from the POV of one of the rank and file.

Another nice piece. :lol:

The Mutant

P.S. I saw that Alberto came pretty close to you guys... Hope eveything is alright out there. Although, I thought it reached hurricane status at some point, but the tracker I looked at showed it as a TS. Did it never make Cat 1?

#11 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:05 PM

Heya! Cool.. A battle story.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I liked getting a chance to see Mazzy again, as well as all the others. I keep picturing Mazzy as a bounding pint-sized powerhouse.. Kinda like Ant-Man. :lol:

She certainly packs a lot of punch for her size. :lol:

Perhaps I'm just over-sensitive to anachronisms, but is a mile an appropriate term for FR?

I'm not entirely sure, but it seems even in the Old American West distances were more regularly measured in how many days to ride.. At least until the railroads came along. Like I said, though, maybe I'm just overly sensitive.

Hmm. In the FR sourcebooks I have, it still gives distances in miles, and I can't find anything about something else being used as the common unit.

Still, you write a good battle. It certainly is easier to describe everything that happens from the POV of the battle leader, he's supposed to keep an eye on things. Much more difficult when describing from the POV of one of the rank and file.

Another nice piece. :lol:

The Mutant

Thankee. ;)

P.S. I saw that Alberto came pretty close to you guys... Hope eveything is alright out there. Although, I thought it reached hurricane status at some point, but the tracker I looked at showed it as a TS. Did it never make Cat 1?

No, it never made it up to a hurricane. Things were mostly okay. A tree fell over into someone's house, and a barge broke loose and did some cosmetic damage to a bridge, but all in all things were pretty quiet here.

#12 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:06 PM

Not just the Old West. There are deeds here on the East Coast that are measured in mule hours. "From a 2" diameter oak on the bank of the Beaver Creek, go due north as far as a good mule can travel in three hours."

#13 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:41 PM

Not just the Old West. There are deeds here on the East Coast that are measured in mule hours. "From a 2" diameter oak on the bank of the Beaver Creek, go due north as far as a good mule can travel in three hours."

Makes you wonder what it would be like if we measured mechanical power in mules instead of horses...

350 mulepower just doesn't sound quite as.. well... sexy. :lol:

(BTW, did Darkrose mention that Blue Oyster Cult is going to be here in Sacto this month? :lol: )

#14 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:44 PM

Hmm. In the FR sourcebooks I have, it still gives distances in miles, and I can't find anything about something else being used as the common unit.

Ah.. Well, then, pay no attention. :lol:
:lol:

These are not the droids you are looking for. Move along!

#15 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 18 June 2006 - 05:31 AM

“Sir Ralert, I appreciate your enthusiasm. However, it takes more than eagerness to win a battle.”

Yeah. It also takes 110 mm High-Explosive/Armor-Piercing shells.

Mmmmmm... HEAP rounds... 8)

Tsk tsk. No sentries means they're going to get... how do the youngsters put it?

Oh yes...

PWND

“Lord Coprith… Logan. We have discussed this before. The Council asked the Order to remain in Athkatla as a last defense. We honored their request, though I wish now that we had not.”

Yeah. This reminds me of a similar situation... what happened there? Oh, yes... another Order decided that adopting a "wait and see" attitude was far preferable to attempting to actually save several Outer Rim worlds from being completely razed by rampaging Mandalorians.

(Sigh)

Careful planning, meditation and the like are all well and good. I'll never say that they don't have their place. But all the planning in the world doesn't accomplish anything if you don't actually implement that plan. And somehow, I don't see how allowing Trademeet and other large towns to fall does anyone but the enemy any good.

Leave them out to dry, and you lose potential reinforcements, possibly resupply points, trade routes... (Shakes head)

Harlequin: "We'll see if he's still saying that after the thorium charges we left behind in the enemy encampment go off..."

Raven: "It'll be a barbeque to remember... and a barbeque counts as a party, doesn't it?" :D

“Only. Being yanked from place to place by magic?”

Valygar: "I don't trust this... transporter stuff... I'll travel by shuttlecraft, thank you."

Of course, I can't say I blame him. I'm not entirely sure I'd trust Imoen's rings not to have the side effect of old-school Star Trek "Transporter Psychosis."

Once Imoen has an idea firmly in her head, she will not relinquish it easily.

Vixen: "The same can be said once she gets candy firmly in her hands."

Harlequin: "Oh come on, Jaheira. Now you're giving me a hard time about my sweet tooth?"

Vixen: "No, Imoen, I'm giving you a hard time about your massive sugar intake which may lead to you becoming a diabetic."

Harlequin: "Hmph. Spoilsport."

Vixen: :cry:

“Val, please put me down,” Imoen said faintly. An arrow protruded from her shoulder and the front of her robe was soaked with blood. “It isn’t that deep.”

Harlequin: (Shrugs) "Could be worse. I lost my left hand in a combat action a few years back. Of course, with the replacement, I can crush an orcish skull between my thumb and forefinger... which... is actually a little neat."

Raven: (Sighs sadly) "I still wish that hadn't happened."

Harlequin: (Puts an arm around her and squeezes) "I know."

Raven: "Gee. Tough call. Field rations. Or real food."

Harlequin: "I vote field rations. Gotta love those 'Meals Refusing to Exit.'"

#16 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 18 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

Yeah. It also takes 110 mm High-Explosive/Armor-Piercing shells.

Mmmmmm... HEAP rounds... :)

More than a bit anachronistic, but...

Tsk tsk. No sentries means they're going to get... how do the youngsters put it?

Oh yes...

PWND

Ooooooh, yeah.

Yeah. This reminds me of a similar situation... what happened there? Oh, yes... another Order decided that adopting a "wait and see" attitude was far preferable to attempting to actually save several Outer Rim worlds from being completely razed by rampaging Mandalorians.

(Sigh)

Careful planning, meditation and the like are all well and good. I'll never say that they don't have their place. But all the planning in the world doesn't accomplish anything if you don't actually implement that plan. And somehow, I don't see how allowing Trademeet and other large towns to fall does anyone but the enemy any good.

Leave them out to dry, and you lose potential reinforcements, possibly resupply points, trade routes... (Shakes head)

Both history and fiction are full of military mistakes. Error is part of human nature, I'm afraid.

Harlequin: "We'll see if he's still saying that after the thorium charges we left behind in the enemy encampment go off..."

Raven: "It'll be a barbeque to remember... and a barbeque counts as a party, doesn't it?" :D

8)

“Only. Being yanked from place to place by magic?”

Valygar: "I don't trust this... transporter stuff... I'll travel by shuttlecraft, thank you."

Of course, I can't say I blame him. I'm not entirely sure I'd trust Imoen's rings not to have the side effect of old-school Star Trek "Transporter Psychosis."

I have to admit, I would find the idea a bit disturbing myself.

Once Imoen has an idea firmly in her head, she will not relinquish it easily.

Vixen: "The same can be said once she gets candy firmly in her hands."

Harlequin: "Oh come on, Jaheira. Now you're giving me a hard time about my sweet tooth?"

Vixen: "No, Imoen, I'm giving you a hard time about your massive sugar intake which may lead to you becoming a diabetic."

Harlequin: "Hmph. Spoilsport."

Vixen: :cry:

Actually, massive sugar intakes may lead to massive belly aches, but not diabetes. A malfunctioning pancreas, now that leads to diabetes.

Harlequin: (Shrugs) "Could be worse. I lost my left hand in a combat action a few years back. Of course, with the replacement, I can crush an orcish skull between my thumb and forefinger... which... is actually a little neat."

Raven: (Sighs sadly) "I still wish that hadn't happened."

Harlequin: (Puts an arm around her and squeezes) "I know."

Awww! *pets*

Raven: "Gee. Tough call. Field rations. Or real food."

Harlequin: "I vote field rations. Gotta love those 'Meals Refusing to Exit.'"

Another version I heard was 'Meals Refused by Ethiopians'.

Thanks for commenting!

#17 Weyoun

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:08 PM

Pointy sharp shiny stuff is also a must. :)

“Pretty words,” came a rough voice out of the darkness. Another horseman joined them. “A pity the Order did not think the fall of the south of Amn worth riding out over.”

Hm, let it burn. There's always some war or another going around in the realms. I won't be the first and it won't be the last. Armies comprised of beast-races generally don't bond together for long, just wait it out. :P

Excuse me, I've been in a nihilistic mood lately.

Well, humanoid beasts don't do grain, but I suspect if some would like to settle down, they'd make excellent pig-farmers.

To a man, the knights gave a shout and charged forward, eager to destroy the foes that threatened the Umar Hills. Ryan’s sword flashed and rang as he sliced his way through a wall of goblins.

Nice scene. Somehow it reminded me of the arrival of the Rohirrim. :P

Jarran said, “No one can fight forever. There is nothing wrong with admitting that it is time to stop.”

Don't tell Laska, but I think in the end, the musician Jarren will be happier than the warrior Jarran.

You say that now, but wait for the howl when they yank it out.

Viconia : *shakes her head* It's crude and it creates scars. Real clerics would be able to have the magic cause the healing flesh to expunge the arrow.

Laska : We can't all have Drow healing hands.

The paladin ignored the hostile tone and said, “On the battlefield, the best way to deal with wounds is to not dwell on them overmuch. I am sure your wife will agree.”

Viconia : *shakes head* Amateurs. Males.

Because of the shortage of meat, the villagers decided to cook the monsters. Hey, it's recycling. :P

Laska : I wanna hear some Rammstein, baby!

Vierna : I wanna request 'Let it be'!

Aribeth : 'Who wants to live forever'!
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#18 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:10 AM

Pointy sharp shiny stuff is also a must. :cry:

It certainly helps. :)

Hm, let it burn. There's always some war or another going around in the realms. I won't be the first and it won't be the last. Armies comprised of beast-races generally don't bond together for long, just wait it out. :lol:

Excuse me, I've been in a nihilistic mood lately.

It's a little hard for farmers and townsfolk to 'wait it out' while they're being slaughtered.

Well, humanoid beasts don't do grain, but I suspect if some would like to settle down, they'd make excellent pig-farmers.

*snicker*

Nice scene. Somehow it reminded me of the arrival of the Rohirrim. ;)

Thankee.

Don't tell Laska, but I think in the end, the musician Jarren will be happier than the warrior Jarran.

I think so too. ;)

You say that now, but wait for the howl when they yank it out.

Viconia : *shakes her head* It's crude and it creates scars. Real clerics would be able to have the magic cause the healing flesh to expunge the arrow.

Laska : We can't all have Drow healing hands.

While paladins do have some healing abilities, I'm afraid they are not in a cleric's league.

Viconia : *shakes head* Amateurs. Males.

*snerk*

Because of the shortage of meat, the villagers decided to cook the monsters. Hey, it's recycling. ;)

Blergh. :shock:

Laska : I wanna hear some Rammstein, baby!

Vierna : I wanna request 'Let it be'!

Aribeth : 'Who wants to live forever'!

Jarran: :wink: All at once?

Thanks for commenting! Sorry my reply is so late, but RL has been busy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com