Omegas 46: Door Breach Maneuever

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:44 PM

Cutting into the buffer on this one, gang... but, well, I really should just stop complaining about that. :twisted:

-----

“Let’s just get back to work.”

Omegas One and Three traded blank looks and shrugged at the same time. Neither of the two was comfortable with the idea of a clearly-sick Imoen, but it didn’t take much to realize that there was nothing that could be done, circumstances being what they were. The sooner the mission was completed, the sooner it would be possible to render Imoen over to the care of qualified medical personnel with adequate equipment… or so the prevailing logic went.

Falynn sighed. She rubbed the side of her head; it still hurt. “Right. Where were we?”

Omega Two managed a small smile as she moved into position. She wore a small pouch around her waist, just below the small of her back. She snaked a hand around to it and undid the zipper. Her fingers quested around inside for a few moments before retrieving a small, thin ribbon charge. The explosive was about the width of a section of common, everyday adhesive tape, and was only a slightly bit thicker. It was designed to stick to surfaces, and especially to be crammed into the small spaces between a door and the wall around it.

“I was just about to use my ‘Universal Key,’ “ she said as she put the finishing touches on her work. She rested the detonator for the charge near the deadbolt setup for the door and stepped back. The radio trigger she would use to activate the charge sat ready in her right hand. “Charges set and ready, One. Stand back, Sis… lest a razor-sharp metal shard pierce your balloonish head.”

“Excuse me?”

Imoen snickered.

Falynn gave the rest of the unit a brief once-over. Everyone looked ready, except for the rookie. “Ensign, you might want to cover your ears for this.”

“Why? What’s going to happen?”

Imoen answered the question before her sister could. “I’m going to blow the lock, after which, the Sarge’ll be gracious enough to toss in one of these.” She held up a flashbang grenade. “The boom ought to disorient anyone inside and buy us a little time… about five seconds, give or take…”

Nalia looked skeptical. “Give or take how much?”

“Um. About five seconds.”

The comm tech groaned and rolled her eyes.

Raven clicked a forty-millimeter grenade into the breech of the grenade launcher slung under the barrel of her assault rifle. The weapon would be dangerous to use in close quarters, but it was still a good idea to keep it loaded (though safetied) when in the thick of a combat zone. “Anyway, we blitz in and shoot anything that’s green and still moving. Simple. Everyone got that? Good. Let’s hit it.”

The Omegas had queued up alongside the doorway that led into the complex’s command center. The door was, of course, locked, but the question was who had locked it last. Had the Dominion come and gone, and left as many obstacles they could for whoever came to mount a rescue operation, or were some Confed survivors still holding out behind that door, hoping desperately for their salvation? Without an open comm line to the inside of the control room, there was no way to know if the room was filled with friends, foes, or no one at all. That being the case, the rules of engagement had to stay non-lethal. The breaching charge wouldn’t kill, and neither would the flashbangs they’d be using to “prepare” the room. It would be up to them to take care of the rest.

Harlequin nodded to the rest of the unit. “Fire in the hole.” She jammed her thumb down on the button.

The detonator sizzled briefly, throwing off a faint skittering of sparks before triggering the charge. The blast was as loud as it was effective, cleanly shattering the durasteel deadbolts used to hold the door in place. Minsc rammed his shoulder against the door, punching it open; he spun away immediately afterwards, ducking back behind cover.

Valygar had placed his back up against the wall to the left of the doorway. He prepped a flash grenade, and, without moving from his defensive position, backhanded the explosive device into the room behind him.

* Whump! *

The flashbang exploded, and for two seconds, the room was filled with a binding three-hundred-thousand-candlepower white light and a hundred and sixty decibels of raw, ear-splitting noise. The squad was through the doorway almost immediately after the detonation, Raven leading the assault team in with a minimum of fuss and muss. She broke to the left immediately after clearing the door. Castle, traveling right behind her, secured the right side. Both troopers held their ground, their weapons swiveling back and forth, searching for threats as the rest of the unit filtered in. The entire room was considered “secure” less than fifteen seconds after Harlequin had toggled the charges.

Falynn flicked her helmet’s clear, duraplas faceshield up and out of the way, then ordered two of her operatives to hold the exits, while the rest of the team went about finding whatever there was to find in the control center. “Excellent job on the door, Immy.”

“Hear that, Vix? Someone thinks I’m excellent.

The half-elf snorted disdainfully as she took up a guard post near the door they’d all just finished barging through. “Well, that makes two of you.”

Ignoring the spontaneous repartee, which, admittedly, did pull a smile out of her, Falynn set about assigning resources to where they were most needed. She turned towards Minsc and Nalia. The former was vigilantly glaring at the nearby doorway, the latter still appeared rather overwhelmed by the whole, big unfolding mess. “All right, you two…” the Major said, “there’s a lot of data waiting for us on those computer systems, so get a move on. I want everything you can snag, no matter how irrelevant it might seem.”

“We’re on it,” Boo replied, cracking her hamster knuckles. Minsc pulled himself away from sentry duty and let Boo go to work. “Never met a Dominion firewall I couldn’t cut my way through.” She grumbled as her intrusion algorithms sliced through a bit of badly-programmed, sub-par, software security as easily as a hot knife through butter. “Ugly, green bastards don’t know who they’re messing with…”

Falynn stifled a laugh. “Claws out today, huh?” she said in a touch of teasing accusation. “Evil little critter, aren’t ya?”

A breathy sigh. “For the last time… I’m not bad! I’m just… rendered that way!”

This time she did laugh. “Ok, Imoen, take Jan and try and get the base’s sensor network back up to snuff. Comm lines too, if you can manage it.” She turned back towards Nalia who had found herself a swivel chair behind one of the control center’s largest terminals, and was busily (and mostly obliviously) hammering away on one of the keyboards. “Ensign, if you get the chance, any help you could give us on getting outside communications back would be much appreciated.”

“Right, Major. I’ll see what I can do.”

The gnomish technician had set himself up behind another one of the control consoles. He’d quickly removed the screws holding the access panel in place, and was now poking a thin flashlight into the guts of the machine. He pushed clumps of wiring aside and jammed his bulbous nose inside, trying to find whatever damage had rendered the terminal inoperable. Imoen had crawled across to the other side, and inched her frame underneath one of the overhanging bits of machinery. Her head and the upper half of her body disappeared underneath its shadow, leaving only her legs sticking out, much the same way a mechanic working on a grounded speeder might have looked. “What about the base lockdown?” she asked, her voice muffled by the thin, electric torch held between her teeth.

“I’ll be working on that. Once we’ve got global control of the base’s systems, we’ll try and trap our orc pals someplace convenient, and if we can’t swing that, it’ll have to be Plan D…” She frowned. “Or E… or whatever we’re up to now.”

Imoen stuck her head out and smiled up at her older sister. “Cheer up, Lynn… we’ve still got F through Z plans.”

Falynn scrubbed her face with a hand. “One day, Im, I’m gonna give you a good slap.”

-----

Several minutes later, Jan and Imoen had managed to get the base’s internal sensors cranked back up to a decent resolution. A little bit of creative software engineering had also allowed them to splice the feed directly into the Heads-Up Displays projected by the team’s tactical headsets, giving them all real-time location reports on all movement in the area. The good news was that Omega Squad now knew where all the threats were. The bad news was that there were a lot of them. A lot.

“Lynn, we’ve got contacts lighting up all over the board. Big concentration of them are stuck in a series of security corridors a few levels up. Looked like they were going for the quickest way out. You caught ‘em just in time.”

“Lucky me.”

“I’m getting some high energy readings from that area.”

“Plasma torches, maybe… probably trying to cut their way out.”

“I’d put money on it. One of the security doors has already been breached, but they’ve got a few more to get through before they’re free and clear. Should keep them busy for a good while. Question is, do we go after ‘em?”

“No, not yet. But keep an eye on those sensor displays. Make sure that if they’re close to getting loose, we know all about it. Don’t lose ‘em, Immy.”

She scoffed at the implication. “As if.”

#2 Guest_Maneyan_*

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:37 PM

HEY! Weren't you scentenced to Hells Kitchen? :twisted:

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 05 June 2006 - 08:15 PM

Cutting into the buffer on this one, gang... but, well, I really should just stop complaining about that. :lol:

Yes. Yes, you should. :)

“I was just about to use my ‘Universal Key,’ “ she said as she put the finishing touches on her work. She rested the detonator for the charge near the deadbolt setup for the door and stepped back. The radio trigger she would use to activate the charge sat ready in her right hand. “Charges set and ready, One. Stand back, Sis… lest a razor-sharp metal shard pierce your balloonish head.”

I think everyone’s head would look balloonish when a metal shard goes through it. :)

Falynn gave the rest of the unit a brief once-over. Everyone looked ready, except for the rookie. “Ensign, you might want to cover your ears for this.”

Do you really want to know what's going on down there right now? Boom. Boom boom boom. Boom boom. BOOM!

:lol:

Valygar had placed his back up against the wall to the left of the doorway. He prepped a flash grenade, and, without moving from his defensive position, backhanded the explosive device into the room behind him.

I always find it quite difficult to aim when I throw something that way. Hell, I probably wouldn’t hit those doors. Hey, it’s not that easy! :twisted:

The half-elf snorted disdainfully as she took up a guard post near the door they’d all just finished barging through. “Well, that makes two of you.”

Grouch. :P

Falynn stifled a laugh. “Claws out today, huh?” she said in a touch of teasing accusation. “Evil little critter, aren’t ya?”

:lol: Some things never change. :lol:

Imoen stuck her head out and smiled up at her older sister. “Cheer up, Lynn… we’ve still got F through Z plans.”

We’re still good for as long as we don’t run out of letters! :lol:

Several minutes later, Jan and Imoen had managed to get the base’s internal sensors cranked back up to a decent resolution. A little bit of creative software engineering had also allowed them to splice the feed directly into the Heads-Up Displays projected by the team’s tactical headsets, giving them all real-time location reports on all movement in the area. The good news was that Omega Squad now knew where all the threats were. The bad news was that there were a lot of them. A lot.

Hopefully the threats are all well scattered throughout the whole enormous base…

“Lynn, we’ve got contacts lighting up all over the board. Big concentration of them are stuck in a series of security corridors a few levels up. Looked like they were going for the quickest way out. You caught ‘em just in time.”

…or not. Well, hopefully we don’t have to go that way, do we?

“No, not yet. But keep an eye on those sensor displays. Make sure that if they’re close to getting loose, we know all about it. Don’t lose ‘em, Immy.”

She seems to have gotten over that mysterious illness of last chapter.

#4 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:24 PM

Falynn sighed. She rubbed the side of her head; it still hurt. “Right. Where were we?”

stuck deep in a death trapped hidden bio-facility full of orcs?

Omega Two managed a small smile as she moved into position. She wore a small pouch around her waist, just below the small of her back. She snaked a hand around to it and undid the zipper. Her fingers quested around inside for a few moments before retrieving a small, thin ribbon charge. The explosive was about the width of a section of common, everyday adhesive tape, and was only a slightly bit thicker. It was designed to stick to surfaces, and especially to be crammed into the small spaces between a door and the wall around it.

imoen gorionova: and it's also great for taking care of stuck drains...

jessie: :lol:

eeep.... :lol:

that means zero seconds to ten seconds..

Raven clicked a forty-millimeter grenade into the breech of the grenade launcher slung under the barrel of her assault rifle. The weapon would be dangerous to use in close quarters, but it was still a good idea to keep it loaded (though safetied) when in the thick of a combat zone. “Anyway, we blitz in and shoot anything that’s green and still moving. Simple. Everyone got that? Good. Let’s hit it.”

hopefully that's a blast grenade...cause a frag would really suck at close range... :)

perfect line... :)

“I’ll be working on that. Once we’ve got global control of the base’s systems, we’ll try and trap our orc pals someplace convenient, and if we can’t swing that, it’ll have to be Plan D…” She frowned. “Or E… or whatever we’re up to now.”

i wonder what the record is? :twisted:

Falynn scrubbed her face with a hand. “One day, Im, I’m gonna give you a good slap.”

Jessie: Our Imoen actually slaps people around a lot...

nalia: yeah... :lol:

jessie gorionova: remember that time you lost that briefcase of money cause you saw that ice cream shop?

imoen: did not!!!

jessie: did too...

Did you get that care package I got to you in Hell's Kitchen?

http://www.gamejag.n...ewtopic&t=79594

:P :lol: :lol:

#5 Laufey

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:15 PM

Cutting into the buffer on this one, gang... but, well, I really should just stop complaining about that. :)

Haven't had a buffer in months, so yes, you should. :)

“Excuse me?”

You don't want your head to go 'pop', Lynn. :P

Reassuring...

“We’re on it,” Boo replied, cracking her hamster knuckles. Minsc pulled himself away from sentry duty and let Boo go to work. “Never met a Dominion firewall I couldn’t cut my way through.” She grumbled as her intrusion algorithms sliced through a bit of badly-programmed, sub-par, software security as easily as a hot knife through butter. “Ugly, green bastards don’t know who they’re messing with…”

Aw, Jessica Rabbit. *nostalgia* ;)

Hm...if whatever was ailing her last chapter comes back, then who knows...
Rogues do it from behind.

#6 Laufey

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

Cutting into the buffer on this one, gang... but, well, I really should just stop complaining about that. :)

Haven't had a buffer in months, so yes, you should. :)

“Excuse me?”

You don't want your head to go 'pop', Lynn. :P

Reassuring...

Aw, Jessica Rabbit. *nostalgia* ;)

Rogues do it from behind.

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:53 PM

HEY! Weren't you scentenced to Hells Kitchen?

You're not the boss of me! :)

#8 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:59 PM

Yes. Yes, you should.

Well, I can't help it. I get jealous of your enormous buffers. ;)

Do you really want to know what's going on down there right now? Boom. Boom boom boom. Boom boom. BOOM!

Thank you, Susan. :)

Speaking of which, how far into the series are you at this point?

I always find it quite difficult to aim when I throw something that way. Hell, I probably wouldn’t hit those doors. Hey, it’s not that easy!

Well, it's hard for Valygar to miss. All he's doing is bouncing it into the room. As long as he gets the grenade through the doorway, it's not exactly a problem.

Grouch.

Yep. :P

She seems to have gotten over that mysterious illness of last chapter.

Gotten over it? No. Dealing with it a little better? Yes.

#9 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:07 PM

imoen gorionova: and it's also great for taking care of stuck drains...

Raven: "Maybe... but not as good at getting the raw sewage off you and everything else in the room after you've gone and blown up the entire drain and the bathroom fixtures surrounding it."

that means zero seconds to ten seconds..

Yes. That was the joke. :)

hopefully that's a blast grenade...cause a frag would really suck at close range...

H.E. grenade. ;)

perfect line...

Laufey got the reference. It's an allusion to Jessica Rabbit. :P

i wonder what the record is?

Raven: "X, I think... don't quote me on that."

:)

#10 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:13 PM

Haven't had a buffer in months, so yes, you should.

I guess... but I feel bad because I haven't been able to get past this one bit that's tripping me up... and so I haven't been generating much new material in... well months, actually.

You don't want your head to go 'pop', Lynn.

Raven: "Oh, you mean like the time it exploded when I caught Imoen and Ensign Vance making time on the floor of the Engineering Bay that one time?"

Harlequin: "Oh, come on... it wasn't that bad. I was still clothed... and vertical... we were just kissing."

Raven: "Don't need to hear this... la la la!"

Aw, Jessica Rabbit. *nostalgia*

It's pretty much her most famous line. Had to use it. :P

Got a few more chapters before you get to test your theory. :)

#11 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

Thank you, Susan. :P

Speaking of which, how far into the series are you at this point?

I’m done. :) Still the movies left to see – so far I’ve seen only The Gathering.

Anyway… I know that season 5 has been much maligned, but to me that’s just a load of horse dung. Sure, it may have lacked some of the spark that Seasons 3 and 4 had, and there were a few really below par throwaway episodes (The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father, and in particular A View from the Gallery), but it still was solid ending to a great series, and far better than 99% of other TV shows. So, Season 5 still rocked. And the series finale (yeah, so it was filmed during Season 4, so what?) Sleeping in Light was probably the best final episode of any TV show I’ve watched. It quite simply rocked.

I know how a lot of people say they wept like babies during Sleeping in Light, particularly when the station gets blown up. It was incredibly touching, but my Kleenex moment was in Season 4, Rising Star, when Susan talks to Franklin after Marcus’ death. It was so painful to watch. I wanted to gnaw off my arm so that I wouldn’t have to cry. :)

Anyway, about my thoughts on the characters by the end of the series… well, first of all, I have to admit you were right – by the end of it all, I could no longer hate Londo. I may never truly like him as such, but I still have to admit that he was a great character with incredible complexity.

I have to say that I lost a lot of respect for Garibaldi by mid Season 5. I have issues with alcoholics, and I thought he demonstrated cowardice by slipping back to the bottle. But thankfully he managed to bounce back from that, and regain my respect, for the most part.

I always knew that Lennier would end badly. Poor guy. I totally felt for him. But after Marcus’ death, I somehow got this feeling that he’ll go the same way. I was pretty close. ;)

I know you don’t particularly like her, but I thought Lochley was okay. I know, sometimes I felt that she was almost too acerbic, and I would have wanted to see more of the good heart under that incredibly tough exterior – because it was there. We see it in the Day of the Dead, and how she helps Garibaldi to deal with his alcoholism. So I think she’s good person – it was just a shame she appeared in so few episodes and we didn’t get more chances to see that.

I grew to really hate Lyta. I truly despised what she became – basically a terrorist. I don’t particularly care if she thinks how her goals are so noble and that she’s perfectly justified to resort to terrorism. That’s why I really cheered when Lochley knocked that bitch out cold. :)

Favorite minor character: that rebel leader on Mars played by Marjorie Monaghan. She was Teh Cute! :P

#12 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

I believe the appropriate phrase here would be... 'Cry me a river, bub.'

“Let’s just get back to work.”

Because I'm feeling much better now. :)

Omegas One and Three traded blank looks and shrugged at the same time. Neither of the two was comfortable with the idea of a clearly-sick Imoen, but it didn’t take much to realize that there was nothing that could be done, circumstances being what they were. The sooner the mission was completed, the sooner it would be possible to render Imoen over to the care of qualified medical personnel with adequate equipment… or so the prevailing logic went.

Logic... a dangerous thing. :roll:

Stuck in a Dominion infested secret base cdeep underground with no back up, no air support, no medivac and a team of half mad crazy people.

Bran: "Therefore, situation TARFU." (Things Are Really F'ed Up)

Ahh.. Skeleton Key. :roll:

Hehehe... I was close.

Imoen V: "Don't want to do that. It gets all messy. And Jaheira'll get all snippy, making you clean it up."

Bran: "Harly's gonna make things go all 'splodie and you don't want your eardrums doing the same thing."

Imoen answered the question before her sister could. “I’m going to blow the lock, after which, the Sarge’ll be gracious enough to toss in one of these.” She held up a flashbang grenade. “The boom ought to disorient anyone inside and buy us a little time… about five seconds, give or take…”

Flashbangs. The fun way to say hello. :)

The comm tech groaned and rolled her eyes.

Snh snh snh. :)

Omega 9 Python: "So, we shoot everything that moves, go in and look for things that are green?"

Omega 1: "No. Go in, shoot anything that's green and moves."

Omega 9: "Right. Turn green, shoot inside and go anywhere. Right."

Omega 1: "Gah!" *shoots Omega 9*

(Borrowing from Holy Grail)

The flashbang exploded, and for two seconds, the room was filled with a binding three-hundred-thousand-candlepower white light and a hundred and sixty decibels of raw, ear-splitting noise. The squad was through the doorway almost immediately after the detonation, Raven leading the assault team in with a minimum of fuss and muss. She broke to the left immediately after clearing the door. Castle, traveling right behind her, secured the right side. Both troopers held their ground, their weapons swiveling back and forth, searching for threats as the rest of the unit filtered in. The entire room was considered “secure” less than fifteen seconds after Harlequin had toggled the charges.

And the room has been cleared. And no one's been riddled with bullet holes.

We can consider this a success. :P

Falynn flicked her helmet’s clear, duraplas faceshield up and out of the way, then ordered two of her operatives to hold the exits, while the rest of the team went about finding whatever there was to find in the control center. “Excellent job on the door, Immy.”

Imoen V: *chuckles*

Bran: "Nice one from the Vix with the Six."

Jaheira: *groan*

Ignoring the spontaneous repartee, which, admittedly, did pull a smile out of her, Falynn set about assigning resources to where they were most needed. She turned towards Minsc and Nalia. The former was vigilantly glaring at the nearby doorway, the latter still appeared rather overwhelmed by the whole, big unfolding mess. “All right, you two…” the Major said, “there’s a lot of data waiting for us on those computer systems, so get a move on. I want everything you can snag, no matter how irrelevant it might seem.”

Even the base XO's collection of explicit gnome porn? Because... that's pretty creepy.

Beware SlicerBoo! ;)

*snicker*

Reminds me of one of my favorite Farscape lines, after John imagines Aeryn in the Jessica Rabbit outfit

Cartoon Aeryn: "I get it. I'm not bad, I'm just drawn this way."

This time she did laugh. “Ok, Imoen, take Jan and try and get the base’s sensor network back up to snuff. Comm lines too, if you can manage it.” She turned back towards Nalia who had found herself a swivel chair behind one of the control center’s largest terminals, and was busily (and mostly obliviously) hammering away on one of the keyboards. “Ensign, if you get the chance, any help you could give us on getting outside communications back would be much appreciated.”

Comms, sensors, computers. Oh, and if you can get the coffee systems back online, grande mochachina with extra whiskey.

“Right, Major. I’ll see what I can do.”

Go Nalia!

Lock'em up and gas em, if the systems allow. ;)

I think that actually might be plan Z. :)

And of course, now you've created a linkup between a compromised comptuer system and the Omega TacNet. Which, if any Domion troopers find out, it's only a matter of rejigging the sensor systems and fun time with the Omegas. :)

Imoen: "Tell her what's she won, Harly!"

“Lucky me.”

Hehe. :D

“I’m getting some high energy readings from that area.”

“Plasma torches, maybe… probably trying to cut their way out.”

Well, either that or they brought some serious tanning beds with them. ;)

“I’d put money on it. One of the security doors has already been breached, but they’ve got a few more to get through before they’re free and clear. Should keep them busy for a good while. Question is, do we go after ‘em?”

Imoen: "Save the orcs! Trade them for valuable prizes!"

Good chapter Alpha. Nice and compact, and now our favorite Omega team is off to create havoc elsewhere! Whee!

VH

#13 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:07 PM

Still the movies left to see – so far I’ve seen only The Gathering.

Right. I didn't find any of them to be particularly ground-breaking. They're good, and if you get the chance to watch them, do so, but most of the big revelations you'll have already seen just watching the series.

but it still was solid ending to a great series, and far better than 99% of other TV shows.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I didn't think Season 5 was bad at all. Like you said, it might not be as good as the earlier seasons, but it's still way better than most of the garbage that gets aired. So, yeah, weak for Babylon 5 is still way better than just about anything else. But that doesn't mean that it's not "weak for B5." Personally, I thought most of the stuff got resolved properly in Season 4. But then again, that was kind of the point, anyway.

Sleeping in Light was probably the best final episode of any TV show I’ve watched. It quite simply rocked.

That episode is television at its best, and I've found myself really wanting to watch it again.

I know how a lot of people say they wept like babies during Sleeping in Light, particularly when the station gets blown up. It was incredibly touching, but my Kleenex moment was in Season 4, Rising Star, when Susan talks to Franklin after Marcus’ death. It was so painful to watch.

I'll admit that I felt bad for what happened to Marcus. I did. But that part, while saddening, still wasn't as gut-wrenching (at least for me) as when John left to go for his... Sunday drive. His leaving Minbar behind was one of the most touching scenes I've ever watched.

Anyway, about my thoughts on the characters by the end of the series… well, first of all, I have to admit you were right – by the end of it all, I could no longer hate Londo. I may never truly like him as such, but I still have to admit that he was a great character with incredible complexity.

Indeed. Londo's not the most likable of people. Never has been. He is arrogant, and vain, and very selfish at times... but at other times, he's, as he says, a patriot. The Republic does mean something to him, and maybe he doesn't always do the right thing, but he tries, which is more than can be said of some people. He's a very imperfect character, but I still find him a sympathetic one.

And one of my favorite moments between him and G'kar comes when G'kar says "I can't forgive your people for what you did, Mollari. But I can forgive you." That line is just... it's just awesome.

I have to say that I lost a lot of respect for Garibaldi by mid Season 5. I have issues with alcoholics, and I thought he demonstrated cowardice by slipping back to the bottle. But thankfully he managed to bounce back from that, and regain my respect, for the most part.

I've always liked Michael, even when he crawled back into the bottle. Yes, he screwed up, big-time... but I think that part of the reason why it's so upsetting to see that sort of thing is because he's supposed to be one of the guys in the white hats... one of the good guys... and you just don't expect good guys to do stuff like that... so when it happens, it grates on you. But Michael's human, just like the rest, and he makes mistakes. His mistakes were very costly, yes, and that did frustrate me... but I also take comfort in the fact that at the end, he finally got it right. Settled down, he's got a respectable business, now. Married Lise, had a daughter. He did well for himself.

I always knew that Lennier would end badly. Poor guy. I totally felt for him. But after Marcus’ death, I somehow got this feeling that he’ll go the same way. I was pretty close.

Lennier got the raw end of the deal... it's true... I mean, I like Sheridan, but for him to "get the girl," as it were, Lennier had to go... thing is, the way he went... not killed, but fallen from grace the way he did... wow... that is harsh. Fitting, but still harsh.

know you don’t particularly like her, but I thought Lochley was okay. I know, sometimes I felt that she was almost too acerbic, and I would have wanted to see more of the good heart under that incredibly tough exterior – because it was there. We see it in the Day of the Dead, and how she helps Garibaldi to deal with his alcoholism. So I think she’s good person – it was just a shame she appeared in so few episodes and we didn’t get more chances to see that.

I thought Lochley was ok, myself. But that's just it. She's... okay... I don't really have much of an opinion on her because she wasn't around much, and they put her in at the last minute so there was no time to get used to her. Kinda the way they replaced Jadzia Dax with Ezri Dax in the last season of Deep Space Nine. Yes, Ezri was a nice enough character, but the fact that we only had a single season to get to know her, after the rest of the cast had already gelled together? It's not easy to just introduce a character like that, and, oftentimes, you just end up with a character that not too many people remember.

It's sad, though, that the spin-off show Crusade didn't last. It would have been an opportunity to see a lot more of her character, but all we got were a few scattered episodes of a first season that was never renewed.

I grew to really hate Lyta. I truly despised what she became – basically a terrorist. I don’t particularly care if she thinks how her goals are so noble and that she’s perfectly justified to resort to terrorism. That’s why I really cheered when Lochley knocked that bitch out cold.

See, she wasn't too bad when it was just her as someone messed with by the Vorlons. That was interesting. But when she started hanging out with Byron and company, I started thinking the way you did. "God, someone shut this woman up, PLEASE." So, I agree with you that I don't like what happened to her, and I really didn't give too much of a damn about what happened to her... which is actually kind of a shame, because many of the PsiCorps-related plotlines were actually very interesting.

#14 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:15 PM

I believe the appropriate phrase here would be... 'Cry me a river, bub.'

Boo hoo.

Logic... a dangerous thing.

It is. And when it's Imoen-logic, it's worse.

Bran: "Therefore, situation TARFU." (Things Are Really F'ed Up)

Raven: "More SNAFU, actually." (Shrugs) "Things being FUBAR is pretty much how every day normally goes for us."

Imoen V: "Don't want to do that. It gets all messy. And Jaheira'll get all snippy, making you clean it up."

Harlequin: "Plus, it's really difficult scraping gray matter off durasteel plating."

Flashbangs. The fun way to say hello.

Some people like the thrills... and a giant bang and a blinding flash tend to be pretty thrilling.

Bran: "Nice one from the Vix with the Six."

Jaheira: *groan*

Hey, it's a nice Six...

Raven: "I have a nice Six, too..."

CN: "I have no Six... my Six is like... a two and a half." :roll:

Even the base XO's collection of explicit gnome porn? Because... that's pretty creepy.

You mean you wouldn't want to see some hot gnome on griffin action? Dude, you don't -know- what you're missing. :)

Reminds me of one of my favorite Farscape lines, after John imagines Aeryn in the Jessica Rabbit outfit

Cartoon Aeryn: "I get it. I'm not bad, I'm just drawn this way."

It makes me sad that she's all thin and emaciated now... Claudia Black, I mean... (Sigh)

Comms, sensors, computers. Oh, and if you can get the coffee systems back online, grande mochachina with extra whiskey.

Harlequin: "I'll have a Raktajino laced with chocolate and peppermint, please."

Lock'em up and gas em, if the systems allow.

Mmmm... poison gas... :roll:

Imoen: "Save the orcs! Trade them for valuable prizes!"

Harlequin: "There's one problem with that plan. They're not worth much. Their own commanders think they're expendable, and getting Intel out of 'em is like pulling teeth... with your fingers. Kinda a waste of time..."

#15 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:25 PM

I'll admit that I felt bad for what happened to Marcus. I did. But that part, while saddening, still wasn't as gut-wrenching (at least for me) as when John left to go for his... Sunday drive. His leaving Minbar behind was one of the most touching scenes I've ever watched.

I felt quite the opposite, actually. John got to say his farewells to everyone, and he could look back to his life, his amazing achievements. And the way he went out also was just how he had wanted. It was a wonderful way to go, if such term can apply to death.

Marcus, that was a different thing entirely. I remember Ivanova saying how she always gave him grief, and just assumed he would be there for granted, like he always was. And then, poof. Major unfairness. But I guess that’s kind of the point, to show that life’s often not fair.

And one of my favorite moments between him and G'kar comes when G'kar says "I can't forgive your people for what you did, Mollari. But I can forgive you." That line is just... it's just awesome.

It is. Those two just had this great dynamic, maybe how it developed was also the single best thing in season 5. :)

Hmm, I am guessing that considering their relationship, there probably is quite a lot of G’Kar/Londo slash somewhere out there in the dirty corners of the internet space. Not that I’m interested in reading it, I’m just guessing that it most likely exists. Yikes.

But Michael's human, just like the rest, and he makes mistakes. His mistakes were very costly, yes, and that did frustrate me... but I also take comfort in the fact that at the end, he finally got it right. Settled down, he's got a respectable business, now. Married Lise, had a daughter. He did well for himself.

True. And I guess that also grated on me a bit, how well he (and that annoying Franklin bloke) did for himself in the end, when some characters who in my eyes were more deserving for happiness, got a raw deal. But hey, such is life.

Lennier got the raw end of the deal... it's true... I mean, I like Sheridan, but for him to "get the girl," as it were, Lennier had to go... thing is, the way he went... not killed, but fallen from grace the way he did... wow... that is harsh. Fitting, but still harsh.

Absolutely fitting, I agree. But the same feeling of painful unfairness like with Marcus, you know?

It's sad, though, that the spin-off show Crusade didn't last. It would have been an opportunity to see a lot more of her character, but all we got were a few scattered episodes of a first season that was never renewed.

I’ll try to get those Crusade episodes that were aired. I’m somewhat intrigued.

See, she wasn't too bad when it was just her as someone messed with by the Vorlons. That was interesting. But when she started hanging out with Byron and company, I started thinking the way you did. "God, someone shut this woman up, PLEASE." So, I agree with you that I don't like what happened to her, and I really didn't give too much of a damn about what happened to her... which is actually kind of a shame, because many of the PsiCorps-related plotlines were actually very interesting.

Yeah, true. I mean, Bester was one hell of a character, wasn’t he? He’s the villain you just love to hate, but at the same time, I couldn’t help but to admire him. I mean, he was just so cool, even though I wanted him to be brutally killed. Great job on the actor’s part, too.

Oh, and Byron – yuck, I couldn’t stand the guy. Creeped me out in a major way. And yeah, I guess he should be the one blamed for what became of Lyta. Jerk. :)

#16 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:27 AM

I didn't really feel sorry for him...how many people in their lives can do their true life's work, know beyond the shadow of a doubt that it is important, and that they did it well, then leave on their own terms?

of course my biggest objection which you've both heard is Boxleitner...for pete's sake, boxleitner??? :)

(he did a good job, but they could have gone with O'Hare...who is so much better, imho...)

I felt quite the opposite, actually. John got to say his farewells to everyone, and he could look back to his life, his amazing achievements. And the way he went out also was just how he had wanted. It was a wonderful way to go, if such term can apply to death.

aside from heinlein's favorite...

shot by a jelous husband, after being found with a beautiful girl in your 90th birthday.. :)

It is. Those two just had this great dynamic, maybe how it developed was also the single best thing in season 5. :)

those two...their flaws made them great...

Hmm, I am guessing that considering their relationship, there probably is quite a lot of G’Kar/Londo slash somewhere out there in the dirty corners of the internet space. Not that I’m interested in reading it, I’m just guessing that it most likely exists. Yikes.

Absolutely fitting, I agree. But the same feeling of painful unfairness like with Marcus, you know?

I bet delenn kept thinging..."If only I had set him up with a hot young religious caste hottie...or two, or three..." :)

it sucketh...

she began to feel that what had been done to her justified her lashing out at the rest of the universe...

Yeah, true. I mean, Bester was one hell of a character, wasn’t he? He’s the villain you just love to hate, but at the same time, I couldn’t help but to admire him. I mean, he was just so cool, even though I wanted him to be brutally killed. Great job on the actor’s part, too.

Every time i saw him on the screen, I kept expecting him to lapse into a fake, bad russian accent...ruined any sense of menace from his character for me... ;)

Oh, and Byron – yuck, I couldn’t stand the guy. Creeped me out in a major way. And yeah, I guess he should be the one blamed for what became of Lyta. Jerk. ;)

thought you guys could hide a discussion of B5, without inviting me, eh??? :) :roll: :roll: :P

#17 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:16 AM

of course my biggest objection which you've both heard is Boxleitner...for pete's sake, boxleitner??? :)

Yeah, it took me some time to get used to him, and even then I never really got to like the character too much. Of course, I should be very careful with what I say here, because someone very close to me is a major John/Delenn shipper. ;)

(he did a good job, but they could have gone with O'Hare...who is so much better, imho...)

I agree, but at the same time I thought that Sinclair’s ultimate fate, what with him going the full circle, was incredibly fitting. He was always such a Minbari, wasn’t he? And then we found out just why. :D

I bet delenn kept thinging..."If only I had set him up with a hot young religious caste hottie...or two, or three..." :)

I am afraid that with Lennier it probably would not have worked. His crush seemed to be way too serious to cure that way. :)

Every time i saw him on the screen, I kept expecting him to lapse into a fake, bad russian accent...ruined any sense of menace from his character for me... :P

Walter Koenig was a descendant of Russian immigrants, wasn’t he? And played some Russian characters as well, I think. :)

thought you guys could hide a discussion of B5, without inviting me, eh??? :) :roll: :roll: :)

We were wondering what took you so long! ;)

#18 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:02 AM

Yeah, it took me some time to get used to him, and even then I never really got to like the character too much. Of course, I should be very careful with what I say here, because someone very close to me is a major John/Delenn shipper. :)

oopse...oh yeah... :P

I agree, but at the same time I thought that Sinclair’s ultimate fate, what with him going the full circle, was incredibly fitting. He was always such a Minbari, wasn’t he? And then we found out just why. :)

oh yeah...didn't susan say once that she was in love with sinclair? on the mimbari day of rememberence?

I am afraid that with Lennier it probably would not have worked. His crush seemed to be way too serious to cure that way. :roll:

probably...but at least he would have had some fun...

Walter Koenig was a descendant of Russian immigrants, wasn’t he? And played some Russian characters as well, I think. :)

tsk, tsk....he was Chekov on the original star trek...I loved the way he said "Wessels...captan, we have klingon wessels in sensor range"...totally cracked me up...

We were wondering what took you so long! :roll:

been spending time in the "House" forums...have you seen the show? EXCELLENT SHOW!!! (highly recommended) :)

#19 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:34 PM

Just because there was nothing tragic about his death doesn't mean that it's not sad to see him go. Yes, he lived a good life, and yes he accomplished just about all he set out to do, but the B5 world is still a poorer place without him, and like I said, lack of tragedy does not necessarily equate to lack of sadness regarding someone's passing.

Those two just had this great dynamic, maybe how it developed was also the single best thing in season 5.

It's not just Season 5, though. They go from being antagonistic towards each other... petty and vindictive to having some kind of mutual understanding, albeit one that's somewhat shaky. It took five years for them to get to that point, but the fact that we were there every step of the way just makes it all the more interesting.

Not that I’m interested in reading it, I’m just guessing that it most likely exists. Yikes.

(Shrug) Yeah, well, I wouldn't be surprised if there was Kosh/Sheridan slash, too. People will pair up -anybody-. Granted, I'm more amenable to some pairings than others. Oracle/Black Canary, anyone? Anyone? :twisted:

True. And I guess that also grated on me a bit, how well he (and that annoying Franklin bloke) did for himself in the end, when some characters who in my eyes were more deserving for happiness, got a raw deal. But hey, such is life.

I was never a big fan of Stephen, myself. I didn't dislike him, I just wasn't interested in the character at all. He seemed more than a little bland to me.

I’ll try to get those Crusade episodes that were aired. I’m somewhat intrigued.

If you find an active torrent, lemme know, will you? I think I found one somewhere several months back, but I wasn't able to grab anything, and can't seem to find it, again.

Oh, and Byron – yuck, I couldn’t stand the guy. Creeped me out in a major way. And yeah, I guess he should be the one blamed for what became of Lyta. Jerk.

He just seemed like the type to spout off a lot of psuedo-philosophical, psuedo-intellectual BS. I hated hearing him every time he opened his mouth. Grrrr. But yes, Bester? Bester was pretty cool. Though I kept expecting him to say something about "Tell me where your nuclear wessels are..." which really ruins it all.

#20 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:41 PM

of course my biggest objection which you've both heard is Boxleitner...for pete's sake, boxleitner???

I have nothing against him. (Shrug) I really don't.

I bet delenn kept thinging..."If only I had set him up with a hot young religious caste hottie...or two, or three..."

Yeah. Set them up on a date with one warning: "Whatever you do, don't take her to McBari's on your first date." :twisted:

she began to feel that what had been done to her justified her lashing out at the rest of the universe...

Right, but see, here's the thing. I agree that being genetically altered and whatever by the Vorlons is something to be pissed about, it doesn't mean that you can go around acting like annoying bitches... which is basically what they did. I mean, yes, PsiCorps? Asses. Vorlons? Kinda jerks... but then the teeps went and started acting like spoiled brats, and I just stopped being sympathetic to them. Completely lost all sympathy for them.

thought you guys could hide a discussion of B5, without inviting me, eh??

Who's hiding? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com