Omegas 45: Vague and Hazy

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:24 PM

Notemeal:

1. (Gasp!) Omega chapter! Only like three months since the last one! (Double gasp!)

Yeah... what can I say? I've been a little... blocked, I guess... at least with this storyline... but that's what buffers are for. Anyway, it also doesn't help that Colleen and Jeff are clamoring for attention. But hey, whatcha gonna do?

2. Anyway, the events of this chapter are designed to confuse. So if you're confused at the end of this? Good. If not, then you must not have been paying close enough attention. 8)

3. Things are gonna get a little mixed up... they've been leaning that way for a while, but this is where it all starts getting a little WTF? Heh heh. Hopefully answers for all those questions won't take too long to write.

4. Lynn getting abused. :P

Always good for fun.

And she even gets to pull a McCoy this time out. :wink:

-----

Since the earlier set of brief skirmishes in the base’s hangar bays, the team hadn’t run into a single spot of trouble. They were, however, encountering more and more signs of combat as they traveled, indicating that the Confederation defenders had put up a fairly robust defensive action. At the moment, though, the corridors were quiet – empty, sterile hallways, all similar in appearance, and seemingly stretching on for miles. The air smelled slightly of ammonia and other cleaning solvents, with a slight touch of engine oil here and there, but was heavy with the tang of ozone: a clear sign of concentrated weapons fire.

Imoen led the formation down yet another one of those disconcertingly alike-looking passageways. Falynn followed a short distance behind her, close enough to offer fire support should it be necessary.

Harlequin kept her eyes forward, flicking them to her left and right on occasion to check her sides – not that an attack from the sides or flanks would be very likely considering the hallway they were in was perfectly straight, relatively narrow, and had had no branches in it for the last three hundred or so feet.

Like Nalia had realized earlier, Imoen was starting to understand just how the empty corridors tended to make an individual more susceptible to bouts of daydreaming. She could feel her attention waver slightly, her mind drifting away from the here and now. Other images, vague and hazy, floated into her consciousness.

She found herself frowning, confused at the way her mind had started to wander, and wondering if there were any rhyme or reason to the pictures her consciousness was conjuring up. One moment she saw herself back on the Gallante, sitting on her bunk, curled up underneath a light blanket, and reading a book during one of the rare instances of downtime her chosen occupation offered her. The next moment, she could feel herself standing on a sandy beach somewhere, the sun’s rays on her back, a warm breeze blowing her hair into her eyes, the feel of sand between her toes, the tang of salt water on the tip of her tongue, and the ocean spray misting across her face. The moment after that, she was lying on some kind of gurney, intravenous lines running into both arms, and the steady hum of hospital equipment droning in the background. It was this last one that felt the most real to her, though – much to her consternation. She could feel the needles in her arms, the monitoring equipment hooked up to her chest, legs, and the side of her head. She could hear the hiss of her own respirator-assisted breath. In the background, voices she somehow knew but couldn’t readily identify spoke in hushed tones… probably about her. The room, likewise, seemed vaguely familiar - everything from the drab walls and ceiling to the sterile smell of the air - but the conscious parts of her brain couldn’t seem to place it.

“Im? You okay?”

She hadn’t realized it, but the infiltrator had stopped in her tracks and brought the rest of the unit’s march to a halt as a result. She wobbled a little on her feet, nearly losing her balance, and having to lean against the nearby wall for support. Her face was slightly flushed, and sweat had beaded on her forehead. She blinked hard, trying to clear her head, but it wasn’t working very well.

Falynn had come up alongside her and was throwing an arm around her shoulder. Behind them, Minsc motioned Jaheira forward with a brief gesture, indicating that something might be wrong.

“Imoen? Are you feeling all right?” The squad medic had broken out her handheld diagnostic scanner and was giving her patient the once-over with it. She held the unit in her left hand and punched buttons on it with her right. She frowned as the results came up on her screen. “Blood pressure is slightly elevated, and heart rate is a bit irregular, but both are starting to normalize. Are you experiencing any ill effects?”

Jaheira’s inquiry elicited a sarcastic response. “ ‘Ill effects?’ What kind of ‘ill effects?’ Irritableness? Nausea… tone-deafness… sudden cravings for pasta in the middle of the night? That sort of thing?” Imoen rolled her eyes, shook her head, and tried to wave away everyone’s help. “I’m fine, really. I just felt a little dizzy for a second.” She pushed herself away from the two women doting on her, and, while still a little shaky, managed to stand on her own two feet without any further help.

Despite the demonstration, Falynn still wasn’t looking too convinced, though she didn’t waste much effort on protesting. “You don’t look it to me,” she murmured under her breath. “You sure you’re ok, sis?”

A nod. “Yeah, let’s keep going.” She paused and swallowed. “But if it’s all right with you, maybe you should have someone else take point.”

“Done. Sarge, lead us off.”

“Understood.”

Valygar advanced to the head of the formation, shouldered his rifle, and drew his sidearm. The handgun was a major step down in stopping power and range, but was also far less bulky, and a lot better suited to the CQB (Close-Quarters-Battle) that they were likely to see. Falynn kept the column’s second slot, with Minsc dropping back to rear guard and the rest of the team shuffling themselves around somewhere in the middle, with Imoen eventually ending up third in the moving column.

Falynn threw a look backwards over her shoulder. “Hey, you get another of those dizzy spells, you let someone know on the double, all right? I don’t want you fainting dead away in the middle of a lightfight,” she teased.

Imoen poked her tongue out in response. “Quit worrying so much, ok? I’ll be careful.” She rolled her eyes. “Geez. I can handle myself, you know…” She trailed off and began chewing lightly on her lower lip. “Except for… um… well… the times I can’t.”

Falynn snickered softly. “Well, good… stay careful. I don’t like the idea of having to call in the large-animal vet to have a look at you.” She turned again, faced forward, and made a low, groaning noise that rose somewhere from the back of her throat. It sounded suspiciously like “Moo…”

Imoen’s hand caught her sister solidly in the back of the head.

“Urk!” Falynn turned yet again, massaging a sore spot on the back of her head, and shooting her younger sister an annoyed look – one that was met with an evil grin.

“Convinced that I’m ok, now?”

A sheepish smile. “Getting there.”

Imoen raised her hand again.

“Ok, ok, don’t hit me. Let’s just keep moving.”

“Good call.”

-----

“This is twice now, Imoen…” Jaheira was admonishing her. Yet again, her scanner was reporting a handful of anomalies, but only mild ones – slight deviations from homeostasis, and certainly nothing (as far as she knew) that could account for these kinds of dizzy spells. Imoen’s condition had her baffled, and the frustration was building.

Falynn craned her neck to look over the medic’s shoulder. She frowned at the displays, mostly due to her inability to make heads or tails of what she saw. Damn it, I’m a physicist, not a doctor. “You’re not picking up anything on your med-scanner, Jaheira?”

The half elf shook her head and ran a few more scans. None of the results told her anything more than what she already knew – which was, unfortunately, very little. “I can see nothing here that would be causing this. Yes, the readings are a little irregular, but nothing consistent with this severity of effect.” She gave Imoen a stern look. “No games now, child. What have you been experiencing?”

Imoen shrugged, clearly unable to easily articulate what it was she was going through, but hoping whatever information she could manage to convey would be helpful in treating her condition. “I don’t know… I’ve just been getting these… images… I’ve been seeing things.”

A frown. “Like what?”

“Well, it’s like… it’s like some of them are things I remember… things I’ve done, places I’ve been. But it’s all… hazy… like when you wake up in the middle of a dream and can only half-remember pieces of it.” She sighed, putting her right hand to her temple and rolling the fingertips around in a circular massaging motion.

“Can you give us an example?”

“Well, okay… um… in the last one I had, I was talking with Lynn.”

“Where?”

“The rec room back on board the ship.”

Falynn cocked a quizzical eyebrow towards her younger sister. “So, lemme get this straight,” she began, her tone taking on a slightly teasing edge to it. “In the realm of your wildest imaginings, you were sitting and talking with me in the ship’s rec room.” She shook her head ruefully and managed to mostly suppress a smile. “I gotta say, Im, that’s what I’ve always admired about you. You dare to dream the big dreams. That was quite a flight of fancy.”

Jaheira cuffed her solidly on the side of the head. The sound of the impact carried a fair distance down the halls. Jan and Nalia winced at the noise.

“Why does everyone enjoy hitting me?!”

Jaheira rolled her eyes. “This is serious, Falynn, and I’ll thank you to remember that.” She ran another quick test. “At this point, I cannot rule out anything, but nor can I cultivate any good leads. I’d need to perform a full neurological scan, and I certainly don’t have the resources or equipment to do that, here.”

“And we don’t have time for one, anyway.” Imoen said, clambering back to her feet. “Look, I can handle these things, I really can. This one wasn’t as bad as the last. I think I’m getting the hang of how to cope with them. Honest. Let’s just get back to work...”

#2 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:52 PM

Notemeal:

1. (Gasp!) Omega chapter! Only like three months since the last one! (Double gasp!)

Checks the post date of the last Ody chapter. Decides discretion is the better part of valor.

2. Anyway, the events of this chapter are designed to confuse. So if you're confused at the end of this? Good. If not, then you must not have been paying close enough attention. 8)

Context is for the Weak!

4. Lynn getting abused. :P

*The Imoen Seal of Approval* has been applied to this product. :D

And she even gets to pull a McCoy this time out. :wink:

Damnit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a cabaret dancer!

Since the earlier set of brief skirmishes in the base’s hangar bays, the team hadn’t run into a single spot of trouble. They were, however, encountering more and more signs of combat as they traveled, indicating that the Confederation defenders had put up a fairly robust defensive action. At the moment, though, the corridors were quiet – empty, sterile hallways, all similar in appearance, and seemingly stretching on for miles. The air smelled slightly of ammonia and other cleaning solvents, with a slight touch of engine oil here and there, but was heavy with the tang of ozone: a clear sign of concentrated weapons fire.

Bran: "Lovely place here. A lot better than half a millenia old battlecruisers. However, gotta wonder what sort of fun you'll get to find."

Imoen: "Probably isn't going to want to munch their brains."

Jaheira: "There have been no sign of cranial attacks, Imoen. I believe you're perpetuating a horrorvid cliche."

Imoen: "No fun."

Harlequin kept her eyes forward, flicking them to her left and right on occasion to check her sides – not that an attack from the sides or flanks would be very likely considering the hallway they were in was perfectly straight, relatively narrow, and had had no branches in it for the last three hundred or so feet.

This is the corridor that just won't end.
Yes it goes on and on my friend
Some people started walking it not knowing it what it was
And they'll continue walking it forever just because...

This is the corridor that just won't end... :D

Like Nalia had realized earlier, Imoen was starting to understand just how the empty corridors tended to make an individual more susceptible to bouts of daydreaming. She could feel her attention waver slightly, her mind drifting away from the here and now. Other images, vague and hazy, floated into her consciousness.

Jaboozies, half naked men, and really really big guns. :D

She found herself frowning, confused at the way her mind had started to wander, and wondering if there were any rhyme or reason to the pictures her consciousness was conjuring up. One moment she saw herself back on the Gallante, sitting on her bunk, curled up underneath a light blanket, and reading a book during one of the rare instances of downtime her chosen occupation offered her. The next moment, she could feel herself standing on a sandy beach somewhere, the sun’s rays on her back, a warm breeze blowing her hair into her eyes, the feel of sand between her toes, the tang of salt water on the tip of her tongue, and the ocean spray misting across her face. The moment after that, she was lying on some kind of gurney, intravenous lines running into both arms, and the steady hum of hospital equipment droning in the background. It was this last one that felt the most real to her, though – much to her consternation. She could feel the needles in her arms, the monitoring equipment hooked up to her chest, legs, and the side of her head. She could hear the hiss of her own respirator-assisted breath. In the background, voices she somehow knew but couldn’t readily identify spoke in hushed tones… probably about her. The room, likewise, seemed vaguely familiar - everything from the drab walls and ceiling to the sterile smell of the air - but the conscious parts of her brain couldn’t seem to place it.

Imoen V.: "The reading, the beach, both good images. That last one... uck. Definitely not fun."

Minsc: "Minsc does not like needles. Needles are Evil, only good for inserting in the eyes of Evil!"

Dr. Aerie: "Minsc has a l..little needlephobia."

Bran: "Considering what he can do with a 20 gauge needle, that ain't little Doc."

“Im? You okay?”

Imoen V: "Oh hell no." *shrugs* "Sorry Harly."

She hadn’t realized it, but the infiltrator had stopped in her tracks and brought the rest of the unit’s march to a halt as a result. She wobbled a little on her feet, nearly losing her balance, and having to lean against the nearby wall for support. Her face was slightly flushed, and sweat had beaded on her forehead. She blinked hard, trying to clear her head, but it wasn’t working very well.

Someone's brain ain't working so well.

Jaheira’s inquiry elicited a sarcastic response. “ ‘Ill effects?’ What kind of ‘ill effects?’ Irritableness? Nausea… tone-deafness… sudden cravings for pasta in the middle of the night? That sort of thing?” Imoen rolled her eyes, shook her head, and tried to wave away everyone’s help. “I’m fine, really. I just felt a little dizzy for a second.” She pushed herself away from the two women doting on her, and, while still a little shaky, managed to stand on her own two feet without any further help.

Jaheira: "Well, the sarcasm is somewhat diagnostic. She's not dead yet."

Imoen: "Hey Falynn, you stare at the Sarge's butt any longer and you'll burn through those BDU pants of his."

Valygar advanced to the head of the formation, shouldered his rifle, and drew his sidearm. The handgun was a major step down in stopping power and range, but was also far less bulky, and a lot better suited to the CQB (Close-Quarters-Battle) that they were likely to see. Falynn kept the column’s second slot, with Minsc dropping back to rear guard and the rest of the team shuffling themselves around somewhere in the middle, with Imoen eventually ending up third in the moving column.

Pistols are no fun. :)

Imoen poked her tongue out in response. “Quit worrying so much, ok? I’ll be careful.” She rolled her eyes. “Geez. I can handle myself, you know…” She trailed off and began chewing lightly on her lower lip. “Except for… um… well… the times I can’t.”

Bran: "That's what you have to love about Immy. Statements like this. Completely true. Completely useless."

Falynn snickered softly. “Well, good… stay careful. I don’t like the idea of having to call in the large-animal vet to have a look at you.” She turned again, faced forward, and made a low, groaning noise that rose somewhere from the back of her throat. It sounded suspiciously like “Moo…”

*snh snh snh*

*snh snh snh*

“Convinced that I’m ok, now?”

A sheepish smile. “Getting there.”

At least no one's around to bust her for striking a superior officer. :D

Imoen: "Can't happen to an Imoen. For as everyone knows, we're just plain superior."

“This is twice now, Imoen…” Jaheira was admonishing her. Yet again, her scanner was reporting a handful of anomalies, but only mild ones – slight deviations from homeostasis, and certainly nothing (as far as she knew) that could account for these kinds of dizzy spells. Imoen’s condition had her baffled, and the frustration was building.

Yet another thing I love about Jaheira, the way she deals with problems. She considers them a personal insult. And then she tries to figure out a way to hit them with a large rock. :D

Falynn craned her neck to look over the medic’s shoulder. She frowned at the displays, mostly due to her inability to make heads or tails of what she saw. Damn it, I’m a physicist, not a doctor. “You’re not picking up anything on your med-scanner, Jaheira?”

Don't crosstrain too well, do they? Or is this a fancy, medic only version, with a grunt version available for the shoot and looters?

The half elf shook her head and ran a few more scans. None of the results told her anything more than what she already knew – which was, unfortunately, very little. “I can see nothing here that would be causing this. Yes, the readings are a little irregular, but nothing consistent with this severity of effect.” She gave Imoen a stern look. “No games now, child. What have you been experiencing?”

Yup, she's ready to get the Real Big Rock out of her pack.

If she was Portena from the March Upcountry series, she'd be breaking out the Big Pocking Wrench. :D :D :D

Imoen shrugged, clearly unable to easily articulate what it was she was going through, but hoping whatever information she could manage to convey would be helpful in treating her condition. “I don’t know… I’ve just been getting these… images… I’ve been seeing things.”

oooooooh. :D

“Well, it’s like… it’s like some of them are things I remember… things I’ve done, places I’ve been. But it’s all… hazy… like when you wake up in the middle of a dream and can only half-remember pieces of it.” She sighed, putting her right hand to her temple and rolling the fingertips around in a circular massaging motion.

Always fun.

“Can you give us an example?”

“Well, okay… um… in the last one I had, I was talking with Lynn.”

“Where?”

“The rec room back on board the ship.”

Memory systems are suffering a cascade failure. Please reboot brain. :D

Falynn cocked a quizzical eyebrow towards her younger sister. “So, lemme get this straight,” she began, her tone taking on a slightly teasing edge to it. “In the realm of your wildest imaginings, you were sitting and talking with me in the ship’s rec room.” She shook her head ruefully and managed to mostly suppress a smile. “I gotta say, Im, that’s what I’ve always admired about you. You dare to dream the big dreams. That was quite a flight of fancy.”

*snh snh snh*

Jaheira cuffed her solidly on the side of the head. The sound of the impact carried a fair distance down the halls. Jan and Nalia winced at the noise.

See, told you Jaheira was getting ready to hit something with a Big Pocking Rock. :D :D

Bran: "I'm guessing it's a mix of fun and boredom. I can try and report back to you."

Jaheira rolled her eyes. “This is serious, Falynn, and I’ll thank you to remember that.” She ran another quick test. “At this point, I cannot rule out anything, but nor can I cultivate any good leads. I’d need to perform a full neurological scan, and I certainly don’t have the resources or equipment to do that, here.”

Imoen: "The other option isn't too good either. It involves Jaheira cracking your skull and proding your brain with her rifle until she 1) finds the problem or 2) gets frustrated, blows out part of your brain, seals up your skull and calls it a day. So, I'd suggest dealing. Because you and a gallon of drool dribbling out, not cool."

“And we don’t have time for one, anyway.” Imoen said, clambering back to her feet. “Look, I can handle these things, I really can. This one wasn’t as bad as the last. I think I’m getting the hang of how to cope with them. Honest. Let’s just get back to work...”

Rock! Rock on!

Good to see the Omegas back in action Alpha. I'll try and wake up Bran and Co. :D

VH

#3 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:54 PM

urm...no comment. yep, the exposition chapter of M0n is almost ready...the mythology took a lot longer than I had believed possible.. :D

Yeah... what can I say? I've been a little... blocked, I guess... at least with this storyline... but that's what buffers are for. Anyway, it also doesn't help that Colleen and Jeff are clamoring for attention. But hey, whatcha gonna do?

do a dream sequence where Colleen is in a Girl's Gone Wild video...oh wait, that's what I'd write...d'uh... :lol:

3. Things are gonna get a little mixed up... they've been leaning that way for a while, but this is where it all starts getting a little WTF? Heh heh. Hopefully answers for all those questions won't take too long to write.

Darth Userunfriendly: I sense a disturbance in the force...I sense a developing subplot...

Imoen led the formation down yet another one of those disconcertingly alike-looking passageways. Falynn followed a short distance behind her, close enough to offer fire support should it be necessary.

Fae: What the heck!!!

(Fae points to a large upside down water bottle, and a large white box equipped with three levers on the face. Minsc goes over, pulls down a lever and a Omega Snack drops into the hopper at the bottom. Minsc pops the Omega Snack into his mouth and chews with a smile.)

except for the inevitable secret doors cunningly hid in the walls...

dare we hope that Imoen is naked on the beach??? :)

sudden craving for pasta in the middle of the night is perfectly normal... B)

:P great line... :wink:

jaheira: don't you blame alpha for writing you into a science fiction universe so you can't cast the "drop cow" spell on your sister? Im???

Imoen, while pushing the carcass of a cow up a ramp, with Fae tied up and mumbling through a gag at the bottom: I can live with it... :)

because its fun?

:lol: :P :wink:

#4 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

Checks the post date of the last Ody chapter. Decides discretion is the better part of valor.

Heh. Guess Inara's sucking up all your brain power.

CN: "That doesn't surprise me. She's so large she does tend to just pull things to her like a black hole would."

Context is for the Weak!

Thank you, Scans Daily. :P

*The Imoen Seal of Approval* has been applied to this product.

Harlequin: "Cool. I gotta get one of those nifty rubber stamps for myself. That'd be awesome."

Damnit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a cabaret dancer!

Raven: "I don't even like musicals!"

Harlequin: "So that wasn't you watching Guys & Dolls in the rec room last night?"

Raven: :lol:

Imoen: "Probably isn't going to want to munch their brains."

Jaheira: "There have been no sign of cranial attacks, Imoen. I believe you're perpetuating a horrorvid cliche."

Imoen: "No fun."

Harlequin: "Well, even if they're not trying to eat your brains, they'd still want to take a bite out of other parts of you... and I wouldn't be all too thrilled with the idea of going around without either of my arms."

This is the corridor that just won't end.
Yes it goes on and on my friend
Some people started walking it not knowing it what it was
And they'll continue walking it forever just because...

This is the corridor that just won't end...

I'm guessing you took that from somewhere? Unless you've suddenly developed a penchant for poetry. :P

Jaboozies, half naked men, and really really big guns.

Harlequin: "And the bombs. Don't forget the bombs."

Imoen V: "Oh hell no." *shrugs* "Sorry Harly."

Harlequin: "Yeah. It sucks. Can't be helped." B)

Imoen: "Hey Falynn, you stare at the Sarge's butt any longer and you'll burn through those BDU pants of his."

Raven: "Not everyone wants to jump his bones, Imoen. Not that he's not fun to look at, but that's about as far as it goes... with this girl, anyway." (Shrugs)

Pistols are no fun.

Harlequin: "They are when you load 'em with enough tranqs to bring down a bull elephant." :lol:

Bran: "That's what you have to love about Immy. Statements like this. Completely true. Completely useless."

Harlequin: "I... well... er... I... um... hmmmm..."

Yet another thing I love about Jaheira, the way she deals with problems. She considers them a personal insult. And then she tries to figure out a way to hit them with a large rock.

Or a neutron blaster as the case may be. :)

Don't crosstrain too well, do they? Or is this a fancy, medic only version, with a grunt version available for the shoot and looters?

Raven: :D "I know I'm no genius, but I do have a degree in quantum physics. I think I could figure out her medscanner if it weren't one of those really specialized ones that showed readings for things I didn't even know existed in the human body." :wink:

Memory systems are suffering a cascade failure. Please reboot brain.

Raven: "Someone needs more RAM."

Harlequin: :wink:

Imoen: "The other option isn't too good either. It involves Jaheira cracking your skull and proding your brain with her rifle until she 1) finds the problem or 2) gets frustrated, blows out part of your brain, seals up your skull and calls it a day. So, I'd suggest dealing. Because you and a gallon of drool dribbling out, not cool."

I don't know... some people are ok with the excessive drool... :)

#5 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

urm...no comment.

:) Eh, most of us here have a hard time keeping a "regular" schedule when it comes to posting new material. Only a few can actually keep to some sort of schedule.

do a dream sequence where Colleen is in a Girl's Gone Wild video...oh wait, that's what I'd write...d'uh...

CN: "No. Not happening, and I swear, if you try, I'll hit you."

JG: "Yeah, she doesn't flash people on camera... she just flashes people... for no apparent reason."

CN: "Not helping, Jefferson."

JG: "Wasn't trying to, Colleen." :)

Darth Userunfriendly: I sense a disturbance in the force...I sense a developing subplot...

You probably already know a little bit of it. :lol:

(Fae points to a large upside down water bottle, and a large white box equipped with three levers on the face. Minsc goes over, pulls down a lever and a Omega Snack drops into the hopper at the bottom. Minsc pops the Omega Snack into his mouth and chews with a smile.)

Harlequin: "No Scooby snacks for this gang, thanks... plus, I am not wearing a baggy, orange sweater."

dare we hope that Imoen is naked on the beach???

Harlequin: "Who do you think I am? Colleen?"

CN: "Hey!"

JG: "In her defense, Colleen is not much for nude sunbathing."

CN: "Not much for sunbathing, period. Look at me. I'm Irish. We don't tan, we burn. Put me out in the sun without SPF-5000, and I'll be redder than a lobster in ten minutes."

sudden craving for pasta in the middle of the night is perfectly normal...

Better than waking up in the middle of the night with an enormous craving for a tuna melt... :P

great line...

Heh. I really like it... but I can't take credit for it. It's Slide's... from some bit of commentary, somewhere, I think... not from an actual story.

Still, I asked if I could use it because it's just that dead-on. :D

Imoen, while pushing the carcass of a cow up a ramp, with Fae tied up and mumbling through a gag at the bottom: I can live with it...

Raven: "Mmmmmph!"

Poor Lynn. Bastard. :lol:

because its fun?

Raven: "But it hurts!"

Harlequin: "That's why it's fun." B)

#6 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:43 PM

I had noticed. *cracks the Whip of Creativity*

Cool! It’s like having a gun and an air refreshener in one! :lol:

She found herself frowning, confused at the way her mind had started to wander, and wondering if there were any rhyme or reason to the pictures her consciousness was conjuring up. One moment she saw herself back on the Gallante, sitting on her bunk, curled up underneath a light blanket, and reading a book during one of the rare instances of downtime her chosen occupation offered her. The next moment, she could feel herself standing on a sandy beach somewhere, the sun’s rays on her back, a warm breeze blowing her hair into her eyes, the feel of sand between her toes, the tang of salt water on the tip of her tongue, and the ocean spray misting across her face. The moment after that, she was lying on some kind of gurney, intravenous lines running into both arms, and the steady hum of hospital equipment droning in the background. It was this last one that felt the most real to her, though – much to her consternation. She could feel the needles in her arms, the monitoring equipment hooked up to her chest, legs, and the side of her head. She could hear the hiss of her own respirator-assisted breath. In the background, voices she somehow knew but couldn’t readily identify spoke in hushed tones… probably about her.

yeah, that’s what is going to happen to you, unless you start paying attention!

“Imoen? Are you feeling all right?” The squad medic had broken out her handheld diagnostic scanner and was giving her patient the once-over with it. She held the unit in her left hand and punched buttons on it with her right. She frowned as the results came up on her screen. “Blood pressure is slightly elevated, and heart rate is a bit irregular, but both are starting to normalize. Are you experiencing any ill effects?”

Maybe there’s something hallucinogenic in the air. :twisted:

Fortunately those times are sufficiently rare. :shock:

Hmm, maybe she has been eating some odd mushrooms lately? Or licking a toad? *sings Give Up The Toad Now* :shock:

I know, I know… she’s a latent telepath, and something in this base has stirred her hidden abilities!

Because you are soft and fluffy! ;)

*looks skeptical* At any rate, I am quite certain Lynn and Jaheira will keep a very close look on her from now.

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

I had noticed. *cracks the Whip of Creativity*

What can I say? Colleen is an attention whore. :twisted:

Cool! It’s like having a gun and an air refreshener in one!

I don't like the smell of ozone, though. :lol:

Maybe there’s something hallucinogenic in the air.

Er... that's why it's only affecting Imoen and none of the others? Mmmm... that doesn't make sense, does it? ;)

Fortunately those times are sufficiently rare.

She likes to think so. :shock:

*sings Give Up The Toad Now*

I found the song on YouTube and listened/watch it... yay!

"And don't smoke... or you'll see... it hurts to pee!"

Because you are soft and fluffy!

Raven: (Glares) "Yeah, I'm soft and fluffy... that's why when you hit my head, it makes that loud *Thwack!* noise..." :shock:

#8 Laufey

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:59 AM

2. Anyway, the events of this chapter are designed to confuse. So if you're confused at the end of this? Good. If not, then you must not have been paying close enough attention. :cry:

Given that I have a fever as I read this, it'll probably all make perfect sense...

4. Lynn getting abused. :cry:

Always good for fun.

Nothing like character torment to perk you up. :cry:

Mmm...rather hypnotic, isn't it?

OK, quite spooky. And it makes me wonder - I have a theory on this, but I'll just wait and see if I'm right.

Pasta in the middle of the night is a bad sign. Now, if it were ice-cream, that'd be perfectly normal. :cry:

:cry:

I know there must be some reason for this, it'll be interesting to see if I'm right.
Rogues do it from behind.

#9 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:33 PM

Given that I have a fever as I read this, it'll probably all make perfect sense...

(Hands over some Tylenol)

Just in case the fever's hindering rather than helping. :cry:

Nothing like character torment to perk you up.

Well, Falynn normally gets off pretty easy with me. I like her too much, so she can get away with stuff she really shouldn't... kinda like Imoen. :cry:

Mmm...rather hypnotic, isn't it?

You can get pretty entranced just staring at four empty, white walls when there's nothing else to do. Gotta be worse when the corridors are all the same and seem to stretch for miles.

OK, quite spooky. And it makes me wonder - I have a theory on this, but I'll just wait and see if I'm right.

Heh, well, the idea kinda came to me from something fairly mainstream and something that I imagine a few people here might have some experience with, so... we'll see if you're right. :cry:

Now if only I could get those chapters written promptly. (Sigh) I can't help it. Damn zombies and such are sucking up too much of my attention and writing time.

Pasta in the middle of the night is a bad sign. Now, if it were ice-cream, that'd be perfectly normal.

I've woken up in the middle of the night with huge cravings for like a hamburger. I don't think pasta's all that weird. But then again, maybe Imoen or the BioWare writers thought it was weird. (The pasta line is actually taken from the game; it's always stood out as one of my favorite actually-voiced Imoen lines. Just a shame the entire game wasn't voiced the way games like KotOR or Oblivion are. That'd be great.

I know there must be some reason for this, it'll be interesting to see if I'm right.

You very well could be. I don't know what you're suspecting, though, so I guess that means we're both in the dark.

#10 Laufey

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:45 PM

Pasta in the middle of the night is a bad sign. Now, if it were ice-cream, that'd be perfectly normal.

I've woken up in the middle of the night with huge cravings for like a hamburger. I don't think pasta's all that weird. But then again, maybe Imoen or the BioWare writers thought it was weird. (The pasta line is actually taken from the game; it's always stood out as one of my favorite actually-voiced Imoen lines. Just a shame the entire game wasn't voiced the way games like KotOR or Oblivion are. That'd be great.

Agreed - and I had no idea that line was from the game, I'd totally missed it. Where does she say it?

#11 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 16 May 2006 - 05:32 PM

Agreed - and I had no idea that line was from the game, I'd totally missed it. Where does she say it?

I think the reason why you might never have heard it is because if I remember right, it's part of a banter she has with Aerie. :cry:

The conversation occurs in ToB, and has Aerie asking Imoen if she's been suffering any ill effects from the whole Bhaal thing.

"Ill effects? What kind of ill effects? Etc."

"You mean this Bhaal stuff isn't bothering, you, etc.?"

"Aside from that one time I felt the urge to steal a bunch of sugar cookies, heck no."

"Oh, good- sugar cookies?"

(Laughs) "Lighten up, Aerie. I promise, if I feel the urge to murder you in the middle of the night, you'll be the first to know."

At least I think that's how it goes... I might be confusing/conjoining it with another dialogue, but it's roughly like that. Only the first couple of lines are voiced, though, which is a shame because I really like the BG cast.

#12 Laufey

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:10 PM

Oh, I think I remember it now. I've read through all the dialogues I think, but yes, for obvious reasons I've never actually heard that one. :cry:

#13 Weyoun

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:42 PM

Brrr, tell me about it. Should get back to writing too... Lousy *jobs*. Argh.

Hmm, reminds me of the office building I used to work in. Could have been straight out of F.E.A.R. actually.

“Im? You okay?”

She needs coffee. :evil:

Uh, scratch that, we don't need a caffeinated Imoen bouncing off the walls.

“Understood.”

Oh, I don't know. A bullet from a handgun works just as well as a bullet from a rifle if aimed at the right spot. Plus, according to the Mythbusters, a handgun works under water (once) and the bullet travels further. ;)

:roll:

“Ok, ok, don’t hit me. Let’s just keep moving.”

Go on, hit her again! ;)

Cause it's fun! ;)

Please do so! ;)
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#14 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 22 May 2006 - 04:05 PM

Lousy *jobs*. Argh.

Yeah, well, I like eating and having a roof over my head, so... whatcha gonna do?

Hmm, reminds me of the office building I used to work in. Could have been straight out of F.E.A.R. actually.

Played the demo. Wasn't impressed. I'll stick to my Battlefield 2 and such. I finally reinstalled the game after a hiatus of several months. Guess I'll be finding out soon if I still have what it takes. :lol:

Uh, scratch that, we don't need a caffeinated Imoen bouncing off the walls.

Yeah, she's already dunked her ration bar in powdered sugar. That's more than enough to hype her up. ;)

Oh, I don't know. A bullet from a handgun works just as well as a bullet from a rifle if aimed at the right spot. Plus, according to the Mythbusters, a handgun works under water (once) and the bullet travels further.

Yes, yes, I've seen that episode. But let's see Jamie and Adam test the effectiveness of focused plasma underwater. :oops:

And I doubt a Gauss pistol could even fire properly underwater. I mean, what with the electromagnetic currents and such? Meh. I don't freakin' know. :roll:

Go on, hit her again!

Raven: "Don't encourage her!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com