Ember's Tale 4: Paladins and Brigands

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:15 PM

Chapter 4: Paladins and Brigands

A tall figure in gleaming armor stood on the path before them. Raising a sword, he cried, "Halt! Be you friend or foe?"

Imoen snickered. "Until you tell us who you are, how should we know?" she called out to him.

"I am Ajantis, squire paladin of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart, servant to Helm, son of the noble family of Ilvastarr!" the man announced as he drew nearer.

"What's a squire paladin?"

"I am on a quest to earn my right to be a full fledged member of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart. Thus, I am here to hunt down the vile brigands who assault those traveling these roads. What of you?"

"They are my quarry also," Kivan said.

"Indeed? In that case, perhaps we could join forces against these contemptible law breakers?"

"Let me see your face," the elf said. Ajantis pulled off his bright helmet, revealing a round, cheerful face and bright blue eyes. His light brown hair was closely cropped, but not even the severest of haircuts could have masked his young age. He couldn't possibly be a day older than Ember, the elf thought, but he looked honest enough. Kivan looked questioningly at the girls.

"I don't mind," Ember said.

"He doesn't look like an assassin, so..." Imoen added.

"Then we are in agreement. We are currently headed for the Friendly Arm. You may come with us if you desire," Kivan told Ajantis.

"By Helm, my sword is yours!" Ajantis proclaimed.

---

A short while later, Kivan spotted a brook not too far from the road. The woodlands around this stretch of the Coast Way were denser and contained more large trees than they had seen further south, and the brook was almost entirely in shadow. They paused to drink, wash their faces and refill their flasks; to everyone's delight, the clear water was cool and sweet. They continued onwards in a leisurely pace; the inn was only a couple hours away.

"So, what do paladins do?" Imoen asked, skipping along beside Ajantis.

"Pardon, miss?"

"What do you do? Do you just run around telling people to behave? Do you rescue damsels from dragons?"

"Ah, it is more complicated as that..."

"So if you saw a dragon with a damsel, would you just leave them alone?"

"Of course not! By Helm, I would do my utmost best to save her from the foul beast!"

"So it's really not that complicated, is it?"

Imoen winked at Ember, who was struggling valiantly to keep a straight face.

Ajantis was looking more and more bewildered by the minute. "What I meant was..."

"Hush!" Kivan abruptly said. Imoen and Ajantis both fell silent as Kivan quietly moved towards a copse of trees. As they followed him, they could hear loud, raucous laughter.

"...So I kicked him in the head till he was dead!" a voice bragged. Several other voices roared with laughter. Peering through the trees, they saw half a dozen men in a circle around a fire. They were dressed in leathers with the same black and red patches as the bandit they had killed earlier. A large hunk of meat was roasting on the fire, and the men were passing around clothing, jewelry and some goblets. Ember's eyes narrowed as she watched them laugh at a small rag doll they found tucked inside a garment pocket.

"These men have a sense of evil about them," Ajantis whispered.

Kivan calmly drew an arrow from his quiver and aimed at one of the laughing men. Ember and Ajantis drew their swords, and Imoen readied her own bow. Kivan's arrow struck the bandit in the chest, and he fell forward into the fire with a surprised expression on his face. The other bandits cursed and scrambled to their feet as they were peppered with more arrows from Imoen and Kivan.

The young paladin charged the camp, crying out "For the glory of Helm!" as he slashed viciously at a bandit. His enthusiasm was contagious, and Ember yelled as she raised her sword and charged after him.

It was exhilarating. No other word could describe the sensations that flooded Ember's mind as she fought. It was almost as if she were more alive, her body instinctively moving to defend itself even as she tried to cut her opponent down, fire rushing through her veins as her sword danced in search of blood. There was nothing in the world but her, her sword, and her opponent. Not even the long gash she sustained to her arm slowed her pace, and when the last bandit fell, she felt a tinge of disappointment that it was over so soon.

"Take that, you scum!" she shouted as she danced around the little camp, making it almost impossible for Imoen to hand her a healing potion. She turned towards Kivan, brimming over with the joy of victory, and her heart turned cold.

Kivan was methodically walking from one fallen bandit to the next. Using his dagger, he made a small nick on the forehead of each, removing a piece of hair and skin. Each sample of bandit scalp was then tied them to a string on his belt; a string which held several other hairy clumps. Ajantis was watching him in baffled silence, and Imoen gasped and turned green as she, too, saw what Kivan was doing.

"Wh-why?" Ember stuttered.

Kivan looked at her with a weary expression. "To remember how many are behind me. To remind me how many are yet before me."

Imoen swallowed. "You never told us why you hate them so," she said.

Kivan looked at the scalp in his hand for a long moment, as if contemplating it. Eventually, he sighed and began speaking, but he did not look up. "Years ago, my wife and I were captured by brigands, wearing armor marked like this," he said, indicating the bandits' red and black patches. "Their captain, Tazok, thought it would be amusing to... to torture us. My Deheriana did not survive."

Kivan's gravelly voice was quiet, but his fingers were clenched hard enough around the bandit scalp to turn his knuckles white. "I eventually escaped, and slowly regained my health. I have pursued the bandits ever since. And I shall not stop till they are destroyed."

"Evil must be purged without mercy," Ajantis said in a low voice.

Kivan turned towards Ember and Imoen. "I did not mean to startle you. I have hunted alone for so long... I forgot how it must appear."

Imoen looked distinctly uncomfortable; she was hugging herself, shifting her weight from foot to foot, and looking around at everything but Kivan and the dead bandits. "Do you really have to do that to them?"

"It's just that... you've been so practical about everything so far," Ember said. "I'd never expect you to be the scalping type." You've known him barely a day, she chided herself. How can you know what to expect of him?

"I must admit, I had never seen the practice till this day," Ajantis said. "However, I have heard about it. It is sometimes employed by bounty hunters."

"I seek no bounty," Kivan said.

To remember. To remind. "Does it makes their deaths more tangible?" Ember asked quietly.

Kivan looked at her. "Perhaps," he said.

"I guess... they don't feel it," Imoen said, "being dead and all... and they won't miss those little bits of stuff... but it's still icky!"

"I understand," Kivan said. "Do you wish us to part ways?"

"I cannot fault you for this habit," Ajantis said. "I will hunt with you."

Ember looked at Kivan. He had been a stoic protector so far, but he was also a man who kept his tormentor's scalps on his belt as a reminder of what he had lost. It was the grisliest thing she had ever heard of. And also one of the saddest.

He must have loved her very much.

"We will do as we agreed earlier, and at least keep company till we get to the Inn," she said. "What we do after that, I cannot say."

#2 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:09 PM

Heya!

Hmm. . . I do like the way you protray Ajantis. . . it's still the stereotypical paladin, but doesn't come off completely stupid.

And Ember and Imoen's reactions to the scalping of the bandits was a nice idea. . . . you're really stressing their inexperience on the road, and I think thats come across really well.

#3 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 26 February 2006 - 03:11 PM

Whoops. Double post.

Stupid computer. . . *grumble*

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

A tall figure in gleaming armor stood on the path before them. Raising a sword, he cried, "Halt! Be you friend or foe?"

Imoen snickered. "Until you tell us who you are, how should we know?" she called out to him.

Or alternatively – how many before have answered ‘foe’? ;)

"I am Ajantis, squire paladin of the Order of the Most Radiant Heart, servant to Helm, son of the noble family of Ilvastarr!" the man announced as he drew nearer.

I wonder if his family are very rich… rich enough to pay a good amount of ransom for the silly man who yells aloud how he comes from a noble family. :)

"Let me see your face," the elf said. Ajantis pulled off his bright helmet, revealing a round, cheerful face and bright blue eyes. His light brown hair was closely cropped, but not even the severest of haircuts could have masked his young age. He couldn't possibly be a day older than Ember, the elf thought, but he looked honest enough. Kivan looked questioningly at the girls.

He’s certainly a very trusting sort – I half expected him to cast Detect Evil before removing helmet. :)

A short while later, Kivan spotted a brook not too far from the road. The woodlands around this stretch of the Coast Way were denser and contained more large trees than they had seen further south, and the brook was almost entirely in shadow. They paused to drink, wash their faces and refill their flasks; to everyone's delight, the clear water was cool and sweet. They continued onwards in a leisurely pace; the inn was only a couple hours away.

Yup, I like this. It seems like the exact something that was missing. :D

"Of course not! By Helm, I would do my utmost best to save her from the foul beast!"

Imoen has turned on her Annoying Mode. :D

"...So I kicked him in the head till he was dead!" a voice bragged. Several other voices roared with laughter. Peering through the trees, they saw half a dozen men in a circle around a fire. They were dressed in leathers with the same black and red patches as the bandit they had killed earlier. A large hunk of meat was roasting on the fire, and the men were passing around clothing, jewelry and some goblets. Ember's eyes narrowed as she watched them laugh at a small rag doll they found tucked inside a garment pocket.

They must be killed.

Thanks for pointing that out! :P

It was exhilarating. No other word could describe the sensations that flooded Ember's mind as she fought. It was almost as if she were more alive, her body instinctively moving to defend itself even as she tried to cut her opponent down, fire rushing through her veins as her sword danced in search of blood. There was nothing in the world but her, her sword, and her opponent. Not even the long gash she sustained to her arm slowed her pace, and when the last bandit fell, she felt a tinge of disappointment that it was over so soon.

It won’t be long before she grows weary of all this killing. The Taint won’t, though. :)

Kivan was methodically walking from one fallen bandit to the next. Using his dagger, he made a small nick on the forehead of each, removing a piece of hair and skin. Each sample of bandit scalp was then tied them to a string on his belt; a string which held several other hairy clumps. Ajantis was watching him in baffled silence, and Imoen gasped and turned green as she, too, saw what Kivan was doing.

Very creepy. I would be disturbed to see someone do that.

Kivan looked at the scalp in his hand for a long moment, as if contemplating it. Eventually, he sighed and began speaking, but he did not look up. "Years ago, my wife and I were captured by brigands, wearing armor marked like this," he said, indicating the bandits' red and black patches. "Their captain, Tazok, thought it would be amusing to... to torture us. My Deheriana did not survive."

It certainly is a very tragic story. :D

"It's just that... you've been so practical about everything so far," Ember said. "I'd never expect you to be the scalping type." You've known him barely a day, she chided herself. How can you know what to expect of him?

Normal, sane, balanced people, as a rule, don’t get into the adventuring business – I am sure she’ll realize that eventually. :)

"I must admit, I had never seen the practice till this day," Ajantis said. "However, I have heard about it. It is sometimes employed by bounty hunters."

Maybe we can talk him into selling those scalps to Officer Vai.

Ember looked at Kivan. He had been a stoic protector so far, but he was also a man who kept his tormentor's scalps on his belt as a reminder of what he had lost. It was the grisliest thing she had ever heard of. And also one of the saddest.

That is not necessarily indicative of his feelings for her. Not that I question them. :)

#5 Guest_Finduilas_*

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:49 AM

Chapter 4: Paladins and Brigands

I must have a particular weakness for knightly types that other people hate, but I always liked Ajantis. Nice to see him here.

Lol. I don't think all the Order's training could prepare you for someone like Imoen.

You think? ;)

Lovely intro to Kivan's story. He's such a sad character.

Overall, I'm enjoying the story very much so far. You've avoided the characters I don't like, and given a fair shake to the ones I do. (Okay, I admit I'm selfish.) Can't wait to see what happens with Jaheira and Khalid!

#6 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:18 AM

Heya!

Hmm. . . I do like the way you protray Ajantis. . . it's still the stereotypical paladin, but doesn't come off completely stupid.

I basically think of him as baby Keldorn ;)

And Ember and Imoen's reactions to the scalping of the bandits was a nice idea. . . . you're really stressing their inexperience on the road, and I think thats come across really well.

#7 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:29 AM

Or alternatively – how many before have answered ‘foe’? ;)

"WHAT... is your name?"

I wonder if his family are very rich… rich enough to pay a good amount of ransom for the silly man who yells aloud how he comes from a noble family. :)

But bad men will always answer 'foe' first, so he'll only tell good people that, right?

He’s certainly a very trusting sort – I half expected him to cast Detect Evil before removing helmet. :)

Maybe he did and you didn't notice :P

Yup, I like this. It seems like the exact something that was missing. :D

That's what I figured out, too :)

Imoen has turned on her Annoying Mode. :D

She likes easy targets, she does :)

They must be killed.

Yep.

Thanks for pointing that out! :D

It's in his job description :D

It won’t be long before she grows weary of all this killing. The Taint won’t, though. :P

Right now, the poor girl thinks it's the fight that has her adrenaline flowing :?

Very creepy. I would be disturbed to see someone do that.

I'd probably have a reaction pretty similar to Imoen's. Especially if you imagine her running in circles saying 'Ew ew ew ew ew'...

It certainly is a very tragic story. :(

Yeah :( And this is pretty much the most he'll ever say about it. I think.

Normal, sane, balanced people, as a rule, don’t get into the adventuring business – I am sure she’ll realize that eventually. :)

But she's normal, sane, and balanced!

Maybe we can talk him into selling those scalps to Officer Vai.

Maybe. Maybe not :D

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:40 AM

I must have a particular weakness for knightly types that other people hate, but I always liked Ajantis. Nice to see him here.

I never used him much when I first played the game, but I've taken a liking to him in the past year :) He is kind of what LN Anomen wants to be, isn't he?

Lol. I don't think all the Order's training could prepare you for someone like Imoen.

Yeah :D

With Ember being more of a quiet type, I tend to think of this story as being about both of the girls, and I just hope Immy won't end up running over Ember in the process :)

You think? ;)

Helm yea! :D

Yeah. I've almost always had him in my group. My early Bhaalspawns had crushes on him :)

Overall, I'm enjoying the story very much so far. You've avoided the characters I don't like, and given a fair shake to the ones I do. (Okay, I admit I'm selfish.) Can't wait to see what happens with Jaheira and Khalid!

Thanks :) (As for what happens with those two... nah, not telling :) )

Question: does Ember have a personality so far?

#9 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:20 PM

He he... Ajantis..

Nice chapter overall. Kivan is a pretty tragic figure.

#10 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:32 PM

Yes, eye contact is very important if you're to trust someone.

But then, any good assassin wouldn't look like he was an assassin.

"Pardon, miss?"

Minsc: They look at taps, fix pipes.

Tarant: That's plumbers Minsc. I don't know how you keep getting the two confused.

"What do you do? Do you just run around telling people to behave? Do you rescue damsels from dragons?"

It depends on if she's good looking or a princess... ideally, she has to be both. Or if she is a pig, is there any chance she will become a princess later? It's really a lot to consider, tests need to be done etc.

Oh, I'm sure if we heard the rest of the story we'd be laughing too.

Imoen: Is it Bhaal?

Tarant: No, that's just adrenaline. It passes.

Kivan's gravelly voice was quiet, but his fingers were clenched hard enough around the bandit scalp to turn his knuckles white. "I eventually escaped, and slowly regained my health. I have pursued the bandits ever since. And I shall not stop till they are destroyed."

Aerie: B-but, if you let them control your life then don't they win? Is that what your wife would have wanted?

How do they know whose scalp it us?

"Ember looked at Kivan. He had been a stoic protector so far, but he was also a man who kept his tormentor's scalps on his belt as a reminder of what he had lost. It was the grisliest thing she had ever heard of. And also one of the saddest.

"We will do as we agreed earlier, and at least keep company till we get to the Inn," she said. "What we do after that, I cannot say."

You'll meet a woman who apparently loves passive aggressive males.

Good story.

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:46 PM

But then, any good assassin wouldn't look like he was an assassin.

Have they met any good assassins so far, though? ;)

"Pardon, miss?"

Minsc: They look at taps, fix pipes.

Tarant: That's plumbers Minsc. I don't know how you keep getting the two confused.

:)

It depends on if she's good looking or a princess... ideally, she has to be both. Or if she is a pig, is there any chance she will become a princess later? It's really a lot to consider, tests need to be done etc.

The most tedious ones are probably the ones where you have to marry the girl to break the enchantment. Princesses have it easy; they only have to kiss frogs!

Imoen: Is it Bhaal?

Tarant: No, that's just adrenaline. It passes.

Also known as not caring whether your victims have mourning families or not :)

Aerie: B-but, if you let them control your life then don't they win? Is that what your wife would have wanted?

Kivan: Speak not of what you know nothing about!

How do they know whose scalp it us?

Which is why bounty hunters suck. Can't you just imagine an evil PC getting the quest from Vai and just run out and scalp everyone in sight for a quick buck?

You'll meet a woman who apparently loves passive aggressive males.

Jaheira?

...Ember's not male, and I don't think she's passive aggressive...

...and lines with leading and trailing ellipses look silly...

Good story.

#12 Guest_Finduilas_*

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

I never used him much when I first played the game, but I've taken a liking to him in the past year :D He is kind of what LN Anomen wants to be, isn't he?

Oh, absolutely. But even though I like Ajantis, I think Anomen is a *much* more interesting character, warts and all.

With Ember being more of a quiet type, I tend to think of this story as being about both of the girls, and I just hope Immy won't end up running over Ember in the process :D

I'm sure you can manage it. It's nice to be able to have the contrast--a perky, mouthy one, and a more thoughful one.

You think? :lol:

Nothing gets past those finely honed Paladin senses!

Yeah. I've almost always had him in my group. My early Bhaalspawns had crushes on him :D

I hear ya. I go for the angsty types too--Kivan, Anomen, Valygar. Though I admit a sneaking fondess for Coran, too, and he's just the opposite.

Thanks :D (As for what happens with those two... nah, not telling :P

Hmm, you have a surprise in store for us? :D

Yes, very much so. I like the fact that she's not a super-confident super-adventurer already, and that you're showing her working through some of the issues that some in her position *would*. I.E. dealing with the fact that people are trying to kill you and reconciling yourself to the fact that most likely, you're going to have to kill them!

Looking forward to the next chapter!

#13 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:06 PM

I never used him much when I first played the game, but I've taken a liking to him in the past year :D He is kind of what LN Anomen wants to be, isn't he?

Oh, absolutely. But even though I like Ajantis, I think Anomen is a *much* more interesting character, warts and all.

LN Anomen doesn't exactly have the right idea about how things should be, the way I see it :D

With Ember being more of a quiet type, I tend to think of this story as being about both of the girls, and I just hope Immy won't end up running over Ember in the process :P

I'm sure you can manage it. It's nice to be able to have the contrast--a perky, mouthy one, and a more thoughful one.

The problem is finding the right way to convey her thoughtfulness without making her flat and without making her too good for her own good. After I churned out a quiz storylet last night, it occurred to me how much easier it'd be to write about a callous bitch of a Bhaalspawn :D

You think? :D

Nothing gets past those finely honed Paladin senses!

At least not when they use those senses :lol:

I hear ya. I go for the angsty types too--Kivan, Anomen, Valygar. Though I admit a sneaking fondess for Coran, too, and he's just the opposite.

It's that pesky mother tiger instinct of mine :D

I actually never used Anomen the first time I played (then again, never got past killing the paladins in Windspear back then) because he was too annoying. I might never have used him later if I hadn't wanted to see the romance :D

Thanks :D (As for what happens with those two... nah, not telling :P

Hmm, you have a surprise in store for us? :D

I have a pretty good idea my take on events will not be to the satisfaction of everyone... :D

Yes, very much so. I like the fact that she's not a super-confident super-adventurer already, and that you're showing her working through some of the issues that some in her position *would*. I.E. dealing with the fact that people are trying to kill you and reconciling yourself to the fact that most likely, you're going to have to kill them!

In other words, I should stop worrying so much about whether or not I am making her distinctive enough?

That one's mostly done, I think; I'll probably post it on the weekend. It's the ones from 7 and onwards that are being troublesome and refusing to cooperate with me :D

#14 Guest_Finduilas_*

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:02 PM

I never used him much when I first played the game, but I've taken a liking to him in the past year :) He is kind of what LN Anomen wants to be, isn't he?

LN Anomen doesn't exactly have the right idea about how things should be, the way I see it :D

No, which is part of what makes him such an interesting character--he believes in an unattainable ideal and can only see how far he falls short of that.

With Ember being more of a quiet type, I tend to think of this story as being about both of the girls, and I just hope Immy won't end up running over Ember in the process :D

The problem is finding the right way to convey her thoughtfulness without making her flat and without making her too good for her own good. After I churned out a quiz storylet last night, it occurred to me how much easier it'd be to write about a callous bitch of a Bhaalspawn :D

I don't know about that--you (not you in particular) can make evil characters boring too. I think the key is not to make them unbelievably good or unbelievably bad.

It's that pesky mother tiger instinct of mine :D

I actually never used Anomen the first time I played (then again, never got past killing the paladins in Windspear back then) because he was too annoying. I might never have used him later if I hadn't wanted to see the romance :D

That's pretty common; IMO the writers basically screwed up and made Anomen just too obnoxious at the beginning of the story for it to be consistent with the post-romance Anomen. As it is, many players feel they have to decide which Anomen is the 'real' one, and like him or dislike him based on that. (I'm sure it's obvious what *I* decided!)

Thanks :D (As for what happens with those two... nah, not telling :D

Hmm, you have a surprise in store for us? :)

I have a pretty good idea my take on events will not be to the satisfaction of everyone... :)

Well, *that* sounds intriguing!

In other words, I should stop worrying so much about whether or not I am making her distinctive enough?

Don't know whether this will help, but I find it very easy to write for characters that I understand and sympathize with--it's easy to find their 'voice'. (Jaheira, Anomen and Imoen fall into this category for me.) I'd say you should try to get a good conception of what Ember is about, what makes her tick, and then just let her 'voice' come out as naturally as possible. If she's a complex, nuanced character, she'll have a distinctive voice.

That one's mostly done, I think; I'll probably post it on the weekend. It's the ones from 7 and onwards that are being troublesome and refusing to cooperate with me :D

Ya, I've been stuck in the middle of ch. 19 of "Second Choices" for a while now, but I'm determined to get it done.

Good luck!

#15 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

LN Anomen doesn't exactly have the right idea about how things should be, the way I see it :)

No, which is part of what makes him such an interesting character--he believes in an unattainable ideal and can only see how far he falls short of that.

I think he changes from LN to LG (if he's been good) when he realizes that, and that it's okay to not be a model paladin.

I actually never used Anomen the first time I played (then again, never got past killing the paladins in Windspear back then) because he was too annoying. I might never have used him later if I hadn't wanted to see the romance :)

That's pretty common; IMO the writers basically screwed up and made Anomen just too obnoxious at the beginning of the story for it to be consistent with the post-romance Anomen. As it is, many players feel they have to decide which Anomen is the 'real' one, and like him or dislike him based on that. (I'm sure it's obvious what *I* decided!)

It's also annoying that he never ceases to have a stick up his rear with regards to how he interacts with the others.

I have a pretty good idea my take on events will not be to the satisfaction of everyone... :)

Well, *that* sounds intriguing!

Or something :D

Don't know whether this will help, but I find it very easy to write for characters that I understand and sympathize with--it's easy to find their 'voice'. (Jaheira, Anomen and Imoen fall into this category for me.) I'd say you should try to get a good conception of what Ember is about, what makes her tick, and then just let her 'voice' come out as naturally as possible. If she's a complex, nuanced character, she'll have a distinctive voice.

After all, we form impressions of the NPCs personalities based upon their voices and nothing else. It's just a matter of finding the right things for her voice to say :D (I think it'll be easier later than it is right now)

Ya, I've been stuck in the middle of ch. 19 of "Second Choices" for a while now, but I'm determined to get it done.

I've given up trying to write complete chapters as I go along, so I have 3 that could be considered complete but are flawed, and 4 that are more of the draft variety with gaps where I got bored or lost :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com