Planar Escapade

• Please log in to reply
677 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:51 AM

Siraven did not expect to get out of this encounter without being attacked. He met them in his robe and mask, and did not even present a friendly fascade. Sure, he could have tried to charm them to begin with, but he felt weary of such things.

"Good evening, Soren." He said coldly. He merely glanced at Queen Annaiya Frostbound. The woman would make a lovely statue, but he didn't really want to talk to her. He didn't really want to talk to Soren either, he wanted to issue orders. But he must have patience. At least enough patience to threaten them properly. "Warm enough?" He asked, "With a single command word, I can raise the tempature in this room four hundred degrees. I am properly warded for such a change in tempature, I would be willing to wager that you are not."

#22 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:39 PM

Arven shook her head. "I don't want to hurt you, but . . but. . . " She shuddered, closed her eyes, and the mages went flying from around her. I'm so sorry. . . . but I can't let you hurt me. I won't. . . I won't. The memories beat at her head.

"Child, you will make a fine member of the order one day. . .

She wiped at the tears on her face, and her features set into a determined look. What would Mistress Skye and Master Shaaleth think of me, crying on the floor like this? Well, Skye would tell me that it was unfortunate, but I need to defend myself. And Shaaleth would say it deserves them right for underestimating their targets, though I don't quite understand that one.

"No one is using me." She whispered to the room. I have to find my teachers . .

#23 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:37 AM

The girl shook her head, "I don't want to hurt you, but . . but. . . " She shuddered, closed her eyes, and before Gregen could say anything else, he and the others were thrown across the room like sand on a wind.

"-eck! Ooof!" He landed, and the air was knocked out of him.

"No one is using me." She whispered to the room.

From where he lay on the floor, it occured to Gregen that whatever he had used, finesse was not it, and that Siraven had warned him. He didn't want to think of the little whisp of a girl as on par with a mind flayer, but he began to wonder what would have happened if he hadn't had his mask on.

"They'll die!" He said quickly. "Do you think that we're the only ones!?" He barked out desperately.

#24 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:52 AM

“Ok, I’m getting bored now. So how about you release me from the chains and we’ll talk like civilized people.” Anna said innocently.

Landarah laughed. "Talk? Oh, not to worry. Very shortly, I'll release you, and we'll talk plenty." She smiled, looking directly at the sword, then leaning down and picking it up, just right outside of Anna's reach. "I'll just move this so it's not so mockingly close, shall I? I mean, we're civilized, and we don't need weapons." She smiled sadistically. She walked the sword over to the table where her mask lay, and set it near the mask. From her belt, she took out a flat copper flask, unscewed the lid and with a ceramonial grace, poured a red trail across the blade, spilling nothing, then she inhaled deeply, and spoke.

"I wish..." She drew out the word, rubbing a ring on her finger as the magic stilled in the air around her, pausing to hear the conditions, "That Annelesca, daughter of Bhaal, were bound thusly; so that any damage she inflicts upon any member of my family she suffers a thousand fold, so that she must complete any mission set forth by Siraven Vutha, from hereon until which time she dies, and so that any damage suffered by those in her fellowship during such a quest is damage felt, though not fully experienced, by her." She said. "That is my wish, and I use the power of three wishes to bind it." And with those words, the ruby ring on her left hand burst into ashes and disappeared. The blood on the sword disappeared as if it had been water in the desert sun.

"Ssifisv." She said smiling, and the chains fell away. "Now, I believe we were going to talk...as if either one of us were civilized." She smiled coyly.

#25 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:52 AM

Andi walked back from Gregen's laboratory in frustration. Had they collected her things so quickly? They really were eager to get rid of her, weren't they? Kosj lay on her shoulder, snuggled up. She had "wasted" a cantrip warming him a spot on her shoulder, but if she couldn't be comfortable, that didn't mean that her familiar couldn't.

Why do they have to tamper with such things? Of all the things in the world to piss off, why piss of the offspring of a god of murder? She really had the worst timing in the world. Now that godling had seen her, and worse yet, knew she was associated with them.

Why are you worrying about it? Nothing you can do about it. Kosj assured her. Might as well go on and hope nothing ever comes of it.

This is me we're talking about. Something horrible is going to come of it. She thought, dreading the possibilities. While thus engaged in her own thoughts, she walked down the hall, opened the door and walked into the meeting room.

Um...Andi? You aren't going to like this.

Huh? She thought, and looked around.

There was a girl in the middle of the room, a small, pretty girl with blond braids, pale skin with freckles, blue eyes and in a skirt and blouse, not wearing shoes. Andi couldn't help but notice a pattern in how the full fledged order mages had been flung across the room, and began to tremble instantly. She was just an apprentice.

Do you think we'll live long enough to grovel? Andi wondered, face a mask of terror.

"Andi! Why are you standing there?! Attack that girl!" Gregen bellowed from the floor.

Great. Now we're really dead. If she can do that to a room full of father's mages, well, we're just a nice spread of paste as soon as she hears that, aren't we? And, if by some miracle, we manage to survive, than the fact that I failed to obey my master will get us both killed.

Andi.

Yes, Kosj?

I love you. Don't die. Fall down.

What?

Fall down. Twitch if you want. She'll think you are having a seizure and see that you're harmless, and they'll think she did something to you. In any event, if they got spells to use, they aren't going to waste them on checking on you.

Andi knew that she should fall over, but she wasn't good at faking things. So she forced her mind to think of something that she usually used a large portion of concentration avoiding. She rememberd an overlit room, with red brown puddles, some browner than others, every breath of her air tainted by his blood, and wailing, and the horrible realization that he didn't have the strength to wail anymore, and that it was her wailing- She fainted.

#26 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:50 PM

"They'll die! Do you think that we're the only ones?"

Arven shook her head, trembling. "G-give m-me back my masters!"

Another mage came in, and Arven whirled. She was a girl, and very, very afraid. And then. . . Arven clapped both hands to her head as the girl panicked and fainted. I'm sorry. . . Arven thought, as she ran to the side of the girl. She hadn't meant to hurt anyone. . . "I didn't mean to scare you. . . " It only took a simple touch to bring the girl around.

#27 Guest_Kelarin_*

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

"I would feel more safe entrusting my youngest daughter to such a dangerous task if I knew that you would be there."

At first he thought it interesting that the man's daughter would be coming but if she was a mage as well then she could likely handle herself, and they'd need someone with an idea of what was going on. He considered it for a few more moments. "I see. Will your daughter be leading this expedition then?" He asked wondering if answers would be more forthcoming from her.

#28 Guest_IriaZenn_*

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:02 PM

"I wish..." She drew out the word, rubbing a ring on her finger as the magic stilled in the air around her, pausing to hear the conditions, "That Annelesca, daughter of Bhaal, were bound thusly; so that any damage she inflicts upon any member of my family she suffers a thousand fold, so that she must complete any mission set forth by Siraven Vutha, from hereon until which time she dies, and so that any damage suffered by those in her fellowship during such a quest is damage felt, though not fully experienced, by her." She said. "That is my wish, and I use the power of three wishes to bind it." And with those words, the ruby ring on her left hand burst into ashes and disappeared. The blood on the sword disappeared as if it had been water in the desert sun.

"Ssifisv." She said smiling, and the chains fell away. "Now, I believe we were going to talk...as if either one of us were civilized." She smiled coyly.

Anna just sat down on the ground. She couldn't believe it, she was trapped into doing someone's bidding. "This is f*cking nuts. Father is going to flip." She sighed heavly and walked over to the table to retrieve her sword, she stared at it for a minute and placed it away. She stared at the woman and slapped her in the face. Only to reel back as her cheek suddenly felt like it was stung by thousands of bees. She rubbed her cheek and said, "This is for f*cking real. Damn it to hell. Undo what you did to me!"

#29 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:34 AM

Andi? Kosj asked tentatively. He crawled out from under the gap between where her head lay and where her shoulders were. As the human came closer, Kosj reared up, trying to make himself noticable, hissing desperately.

Don't hurt her! She's harmless! I'll bite you! See me? I'm a big snake! I'm a viper! I'll bite you! I'm really really poisonous! Those blasted bright frogs are sissies! Look at my fangs! Damnit, Andi is the only one that can understand me! He paused as he saw the bizarre human body posture...that was not usually an attack posture...

"I didn't mean to scare you. . . " She reached out slowly and touched Andi's arm, too far away for him to protect. Andi instantly returned to consciousness.

Are you being dominated? Kosj asked quickly, before he decided to get excited. Please say 'no'.

I'm not being dominated, Kosj, but, um, she's in front of me...and the others are still awake. We're sooo dead.

Yup, that's you alright! Kosj thought back at her and slittered up her leg like an affectionate anklet. She doesn't want to hurt you! It's good. Not wonderful, because we're still lacking a lavender candle, warm sheets and some seriously spiced mice fillets, but if I had everything I wanted I wouldn't have anything to look forward to.

#30 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:25 AM

"I see. Will your daughter be leading this expedition then?" Jarin asked.

Siraven chuckled. "Oh, yes. She's a bit on the...modest side about her abilities." He visualized the people he had been studying...the brave, flamboyant young Bhaal spawn, soon to be bound to his will, the quiet warrior from the icy wastes, the small medic that had some serious power that she rarely ever used and this halfling, who would soon find out he'd been tricked. Yes, Andi was going to have her work cut out for her. Andi would, in theory, be in charge, at least until the first time they realized what a pathetic weakling she was. Anna alone would probably gut the wretch before their first task. He smiled. "I'm sure she'll perform shiningly."

#31 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:33 AM

Anna smacked Landarah, then staggered back. Landarah laughed.

"Believe it or not, I am a member of my own family." She commented in amusement.

"This is for f*cking real. Damn it to hell. Undo what you did to me!" Anna demanded.

Landarah laughed again. "It constantly amazes me how foolish you think I am. I'm certain that you are accustomed to being surrounded by fools, so I will forgive your...nerve." She said.

#32 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:20 PM

Arven watched the funny lizard slither up the girl's leg and giggled. But the funny lizard was scared. . . .

"I'm not going to hurt your mistress. . . " Arven said to the lizard with a small smile. He was likely her pet. No wonder he was scared. Then she stepped over the still dazed girl, and left the room, casting out her mind to try and find her teachers. Where are you? What's going on? I need to know you're alright, you're in really big trouble, please, answer me. . . They would usually answer her mental thoughts, even through meditation. . . . what was going on? Why am I all alone in a strange place? Her small frame shuddered. Well, at least -he- wasn't here. . . .

#33 Guest_Kelarin_*

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

"Very well, so long as you don't decide to geas me over this I will accept your quest." He smiled to show it was a joke, though he wasn't sure if the man had a sense of humor.

If the man truly had been watching him, he should know the Hin would keep to his word. Unlike most halflings he had a long attention span and was not one to leave boring quests to others. He had a feeling it was likely to be boring at points. Sighing he waited for instructions on where to meet the daughter, and when their quest would begin.

#34 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:28 PM

As the man made his dramatic threat, Soren raised a hand to his throat, feeling for the amulet that usually hung around his throat. Too late, he realised that he had given it to Annaiya. Looking round, he saw her finger the necklace, a horrified look on her face as she realised that she would survive, but he would not. He cared not, her life was his duty, not his own.

Soren stepped forward. The heat of the room was slowly incresing, as if the man was making good on his threat, and the sweat dripping from the captain's forehead was blinding him. As he waved his sword in Siraven's direction, he used his off-hand to wipe the sweat from his forehead, before pulling his inner silk scarf over his head, as a primitive shemagh.

"What do you want, sir?" He acknowledged the man's superiority not from cowardice, but knowing that their lives depended on Siraven. He could not have Queen Frostbound slain for his foolish pride. Still, he laid his hand on the hilt of his frostblade, ready for a fight, if that was what was needed.

The queen stepped up next to him, laying a hand on his shoulder, and flashing him a glance. After years of protecting her, he could feel the meaning behind the gesture.
Easy, Soren. Calm down. We will get through this. Follow my lead.

"Good sir, what do you wish? I know not your name, nor your land, but if you required my prescence, you could have sent an envoy to court."

Soren silently fumed. This man was clearly anything but friendly, and he had ignored her, concentrating on him. This led him to believe that whatever had happened was focused on him, which led to the grim realisation that he had failed to protect his charge, and had dragged her into his own problems.

#35 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:24 AM

"I'm not going to hurt your mistress. . . " The girl said to Kosj, Andi's tiny viper familiar. Gregen couldn't believe how fast this was all happening. Why couldn't he concentrate to cast his magic missile spell. It was a spell he'd known how to cast for ages. All the mages around him seemed similiarly dazed. Perhaps this girl was as powerful as a mind flayer.

The girl stepped over Andi and walked out the door.

"Stop her!" He bellowed at Andi, who looked as helplessly dazed as anyone in the room. But he knew that he'd failed and he'd better catch up to her and subdue her as soon as possible, before she walked in on Siraven. He knew that such a failure would cost him his life, and probably a fair bit of dignity as well. He shakily got to his feet and chased after her, grabbing up Andi like a sheild on the way by.

"Eck." Andi said, her familiar clinging to her leg like a stubborn bit of yarn.

"You! Alien mage!" He yelled after her, panting from running. It'd been a long time since he'd had to run after anyone. He was used to being able to wave his hand and hold a person in place. "You won't find there here anywhere! Do you know what an imprisonment spell is?" He said. Throwing Andi off him since her weight was slowing him down. She stumbled into the wall, fell down and then got back up, grabbing up her snake and following him at a run just slower than his, obviously slower than her body wanted to run. He yelled, "You can't find them, they are suspended in time!"

"Who are?" She asked from behind him, a sickening dread evident in her voice.

"None of your concern, apprentice." He snapped. "Maybe if you put the effort into actually graduating, you might be entrusted with such knowledge."

#36 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:44 AM

"Very well, so long as you don't decide to geas me over this I will accept your quest." Jarin smiled.

Siraven laughed heartily as though he had never even thought of using a geas. "Oh, I'm pretty certain that you're not the type to take all the magic equipment and leave your companions to die." He said confidently. He looked distracted for a moment. "I'm afraid I still need to meet with a few of the other members of the quest and explain to them what is in it for them, I like to do these things privately so as not to overwhelm the more shy members. It also keeps jealousy from developing. If you don't mind, I would like to drop you off at the library where I have a few books you should read through." He said casually, "My daughter is doubtlessly hard at work studying her spells and won't want to be disturbed for a few hours."

#37 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:08 AM

"You! Alien mage!" He was panting. "You won't find there here anywhere! Do you know what an imprisonment spell is?"

Arven gasped. No. . . Though she did not know specifically, the meaning was clear. The girl was running after him. "You can't find them, they are suspended in time!"

Arven stopped mid-run. Oh stars. . . can you even -do- that? Her mind started tossing up possibilities. I suppose with some sort of modified stasis field, perhaps coupled with a medative healing trance. . . She shook her head. Stupid-head, don't get distracted!

"Who are?" The girl asked. She was scared.

"None of your concern, apprentice." He snapped. "Maybe if you put the effort into actually graduating, you might be entrusted with such knowledge."

Arven frowned. He was really mean. Why was he so mean? The girl actually seemed nice, and that just wasn't fair. . .

"All I want are my teachers back . . . " She turned to look at the man. "I won't bother you after that, I promise."

#38 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:56 AM

Siraven noted the way Soren felt his neck for the amulet and then looked over at Annaiya with her horrified look. Siraven had expected each of them to be worried about the fact that the other one would die. Having the Queen horrified that Soren would die was an interesting situation, though one that annoyed him no less. Though he had no intention of killing Soren at the moment, he felt it necessary make his power felt. The room had four tempature settings, and six command words. Fifteen incompetent apprentices had perished in it over the years.

"Vignar" Siraven breathed out, most likely the young warrior wouldn't even recognize it as a word. It would bring the room up to that of a warm summer day.

Soren stepped forward. Sweat dripped into his eyes. The young man waved his sword in his direction, and wiped the sweat from his forehead.

"What do you want, sir?" Soren asked. Siraven did not miss the young man's hand on the hilt of his sword. Of course, he was prepared for that possibility.

"Good sir, what do you wish? I know not your name, nor your land, but if you required my prescence, you could have sent an envoy to court."

Siraven smiled behind his mask. "My name is Siraven Vutha, head of the Order of Irthos Arcaniss. I don't send envoy's to court. I send envoy's to the countryside, where they cast control weather spells until I get a response. When I decide that I need to see someone, I don't ask them to come to me. I bring them." He stated, then his voice turned warm and pleasant. "As for my land, we're in a stone fortress, surrounded by hundreds of miles of swamp and marsh. The view is nice, and I don't get very many unexpected guests."

#39 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:35 AM

Andi felt puzzled. This mysterious being had every reason to kill her, or harm her or knock her senseless...but didn't. She didn't even perform an obligatory backhand while stepping over her. No threats, no insults, no "mishaps", nothing. The barefooted girl stopped to assure Kosj that she meant no harm and then off she went, skirt ruffling as she ran.

Wow, and we're not even dreaming, are we? Maybe we slipped into some sort of wonderland! Spiced mice fillets here we come! Mmm!

"Stop her!" Gregen's order disturbed the air, and for a moment, Andi didn't want to even believe she was still in the real world. He grabbed her up, something she knew he could do normally, though he hadn't carried her bodily in a long time. Not for fifteen years at the least.

"You! Alien mage!" Master Gregen yelled after the exotic girl, panting from running. "You won't find them here anywhere! Do you know what an imprisonment spell is?" Andi's heart froze.

Andi wasn't too surprised to be thrown towards the wall, but her mind was still working on reminding her the details of the Imprisonment Spell. There were only two people in the order that were powerful enough to cast that spell. Her mother or her father.

She stumbled, smacked her head into the wall, fell down, sorted her legs out, got back up and then picked up Kosj and jogged behind him. She knew better than to try to run beside him or try to catch up with the girl and leaving him behind her.

He yelled, "You can't find them, they are suspended in time!"

"Who are?" The Andi asked, dreading the answer. If either one of her parents had taken the time to cast this spell on anyone this girl cared about, that meant she was a target of their attention. She wanted this girl to escape! She wanted this girl to go back to whatever reality permitted kindness to exist unpunished.

She carefully ignored that snipe. She could never remember any spells when it came to exams, and that had always irritated him. Her poor performance reflected badly on him, she knew.

Well, it should, but he's passed the exam for you what, ten times now? He should be one of the best mages in the order! Who else has taken the final exam eleven times? They should stop holding it. But they never run out of enemy captives for those tests, do they? Kosj said. I still think you'd do spectacularly if they switched the tests from being offensive spells to being protective spells. Those guys always look like they could use some.

"All I want are my teachers back . . . " The blond braided girl turned to look at Master Gregen. "I won't bother you after that, I promise."

"You'll get them back. After you complete the mission." Gregen said, almost soothingly. "This measure has been undertaken to ensure that you won't give up on the mission. They are unharmed, and not a moment of time has passed for them since they were imprisioned. I must also stress to you that such a feat of magic is not undertaken lightly. You don't just imprision someone and let them go."

#40 Guest_Kelarin_*

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:00 PM

Jarin nodded politely, and looked not quite sure if there was to be a portal or not. He stood and tucked the scroll into a small bag on his waist, something that looked similer to a bag of holding. He also jotted down a note on a small piece of paper which also went inside the bag. He then cinched it shut and prepared to follow the mage to their, likely vast, library.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com