Photo

Adrian Shadows of Amn 341

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Arcalian

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:14 PM

That night in camp, Edwin drew a thurmaturgic circle around Adrian.

"Do I have to stand?"

"You may sit," Edwin said absently. "Try not to move too much."

"Perhaps I should have taken my armor off," Adrian murmured.

"No, szinsring," said Viconia, standing off to the side, waiting for Edwin to finish his part. "Your armor is very much a part of your identity. That often matters with things like this."

Adrian nodded.

DON'T DO THIS SON.

You know how to stop it.

I AM NOT PREPARED TO TAKE THAT STEP.

Even if I let Viconia and Edwin bind you?

Bhaal made a frustrated noise. EVEN THEN, THOUGH IT GALLS ME TO ADMIT IT.

You could always posess Imoen, then.

SAME PROBLEM. I AM NOT PREPARED TO LOSE WHAT LITTLE I HAVE LEFT, WHICH ONLY INTACT CAN YOU PROVIDE.

I still marvel that you can't reclaim the throne of your godhood through posessed vessels.

IF I COULD, YOU WOULD BE A VESSEL ALREADY. BELEIVE THAT. WHAT I HAVE DONE, IS TRY TO DRAW YOU AS CLOSE TO MYSELF AS I CAN. SO, SINCE VICONIA AND EDWIN CANNOT PERFORM THE RITUAL TWICE IN ONE NIGHT.....

...you will continue to seduce Imoen to your power. I know. But does she?

SHE CAN HEAR THIS CONVERSATION.

Adrian looked at Imoen, and she nodded wordlessly. Adrian beleived Bhaal, actually. Not because he trusted Bhaal--he never would--but because Bhaal would benefit from telling the truth in this particular case. Like any being--"evil" or not--he lied when it suited his purpose, and told the truth when that was more effective. This was one of the latter occasions.

IS THERE NOTHING I CAN DO TO CONVINCE YOU TO STAY THIS?

If you could make a better offer, I beleive you already would have done. And besides, if I tell them to stop now, they'll think you have possesed me.

Bhaal did not respond with words, but bathed what was left of Adrian's sense of self in his essence, tempting him, calling him home. Adrian refused. He had given Bhaal far more than he had ever intended as it was.

Edwin looked at him. "Father being talkative, is he? You've got an introspective look you don't usually have."

Adrian managed a thin smile. "Postively jabbering like a monkey."

Edwin chuckled. Then he made a few more minor adjustments, and stepped back. Viconia took his place. Edwin's only purpose in the ritual now was to continue to power the circle. Everything else was on Vickie.

She raised her hands and began to chant to Shar. It wasn't excorcism, but rather confinement, an art dark churches often used in place of excorcism. Not to cast out the evil spirit, but bind it in service to the body of it's host. Adrian's Bhaalspawn nature complicated this, of course, which was why Edwin and Viconia had discussed this at length before beginning the ritual. Jan had not contributed much, being a more combat-oriented spellcasting rogue, but they had taken some of his spellcasting components for use in the ritual. They had made several modifications to the circle. They even asked Imoen for input, mostly on what Bhaal was doing at any given moment. For the first time--and Edwin swore it would be the last--they wished they had a sorcerer, like the Surgeon, present. Such raw power would've been useful in this particular case, both to power the circle and to tame the Bhaal essence. But they would make do with what they had.

Viconia chanted faster and faster. The night stars seemed to brighten as Shar answered her prayers. Softly, slowly, blue and purple arcs of light began to form inside the circle, and wrap themselves around Adrian before vanishing into his flesh to chain the essence. Adrian grit his teeth. It wasn't paticularly unpleasant, but he did tingle all over. After a while he broke out in a cold sweat.

Bhaal had stopped talking to him, but Adrian could still hear him, cursing and fuming in frustration. Eventually his voice began to fade.

Finally, he heard Sarevok instead. Well done, brother. I cannot talk long myself, but your priest and mage have sealed him away.

"It is done," Viconia said. "We shall cast it on Imoen tomorrow."

"Good," Adrian said, and wiped sweat from his brow. "I feel very weak."

"That is to be expected. Sleep within the circle tonight," said Edwin.

Adrian nodded. But despite his weaknes and weariness, he would sleep little that night.

Instead he stared up at the stars and felt very alone. Viconia could not join him without breaking the circle, but she remained, watching from outside the circle, the whole night through.
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#2 Laufey

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:44 PM

I really enjoyed this scene - it is very much in Adrian's character to bind Bhaal in this way, I think, and I thought it was well written. It does occur to me, will Bhaal now be utterly unable to influence Adrian? Or can he do so subconsciously? If so, Adrian might be in even greater danger now than he was before.
Rogues do it from behind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com