A Cappella Part 306 - Plots and Plans

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:17 AM

AC306-Plots and Plans

I need some sleep, you can't go home like this.
I try counting sheep, but there's one I always miss.
Everyone says I'm getting down too low.
Everyone says, "You just gotta let it go."

I need some sleep, time to put the old horse down.
I'm in too deep and the wheels keep spinning round.

You just gotta let it go.

“I Need Some Sleep” Eels

Jarran grinned as Imoen and Valygar danced by. He whispered to Jaheira, “I don’t suppose you want a party like this after our wedding.”

The druid snorted in disgust. “Of course not. Though that does beg the question of what we will do after we marry.”

“I thought we might travel a bit. You know, it would be nice to see the Sword Coast without a bounty on my head. Maybe… maybe even go to Candlekeep.”

Jaheira turned sad eyes towards her lover. “That still pains you, I can see. But you cannot blame yourself for the deaths there.”

“He does, though the blame is mine,” they heard from behind. Sarevok stepped to Jarran’s side and said, “The doppelgangers were sent by me. One more crime to my name.” A nearby group of debutantes squealed and move away when they spotted the grim-faced warrior.

“That was then, Sarevok. But our question applies to you as well. What do you plan to do?”

The warrior shrugged. “I have no plans. They all come to ruin, so what is the point of making them?”

Jarran frowned, but before he could reply, Mazzy approached them, Jan following close behind.

As usual, Jan was chattering enthusiastically. “Mazzy, dear, have I ever told you about my Aunt Petunia the ranger?”

In a flat voice, Mazzy said, “Yes, Jan. I have already heard that tale, thank you.”

“Really? Are you quite sure? This is the one where she...”

Mazzy said sharply, “Yes, that's the one. One of your best, but I have heard it before.”

“Well then, let me regale you with tales of my years as a...”

“I have heard that one as well, Jan.”

“But I didn't even say anything,” the gnome said, a touch of hurt in his voice. His eyes lit and he exclaimed, “Ah, here's one I know you haven't heard. Back when I was...”

Mazzy shook her head. “I am sorry to disappoint you, but I already know that one, too.”

“Aha!” Jan crowed. “I made that last one up just to test you, Mazzy! There is no such story.”

The halfling drew herself up and said in a dignified voice, “You mean to say you have been telling us falsehoods this whole time, Jan? I am so very, very disappointed in you. Since you admit to your dishonesty, I can no longer in good conscience listen to your stories ever again.”

As Jan stared at her, his mouth hanging open in surprise, they heard a deep chuckle. Jarran turned to see Keldorn trying to contain his amusement. “My dear Mazzy, I congratulate you. I could have saved untold hours of my life if I had thought to say that.”

“Now don’t be that way, Keldy. Everyone loves a good story.”

Sarevok stepped forward and loomed menacingly over Jan. “I have been listening to your stories all evening, gnome, and they have reminded me of a certain trading deal my stepfather made several years ago. He negotiated once on behalf of the Iron Throne for a very lucrative land deal with a gnome named Count Turnipsome, as I recall. Reiltar said he had a habit of constantly telling stories.”

Jan shifted nervously. “Ah, yes. I know the fellow. Handsome young gnome, apple of his mother's eye. Wealthy, debonair, beloved by all. Your stepfather was a fortunate man to have met him.”

“I would not say the same. The land the Count sold him turned out to be useless swampland overrun by umber hulks and bugbears. My stepfather was almost ejected from the Iron Throne as a result.”

Jan began to edge away. “Now that sounds like quite a tragedy. Tsk. There are some mighty crooked people out there. Gnomes, even. Just terrible.”

Sarevok took a step forward. “I swore that I would take instant vengeance on that gnome if I ever found him. I saved some rather excruciating torture techniques for the occasion.”

The gnome backed away. “Uh, yes, yes. I see. It is certainly fortunate for him that you never found him. Are those turnips on the buffet table?” He dashed away.

Jarran grinned. “Was that true?”

Sarevok gave him a thin smile. “In part. Reiltar did indeed make a disastrous bargain, but it brought me a great deal of amusement. My only concern was for the inconvenience to my plans if he had lost his place in the Iron Throne.”

“Jar?”

The bard looked up to see Imoen and Valygar approaching. “Jar, we need to talk,” Imoen said urgently.

“What’s wrong, Im?”

“Baldur’s Gate sent a messenger to find out if the rumors about Sarevok being alive are true.”

“What? How did you find that out?”

Valygar said dryly, “It is amazing what you can overhear on the dance floor.”

Sarevok shrugged. “We knew this day might come. Do not look so stricken. I committed terrible crimes in that city, do not forget.”

Imoen said, “But you died! Isn’t that enough?”

“They fear the man I once was. Surely you recall your reaction to my new life?”

“Well… you were different then.”

“The Dukes of the city know nothing of the changes I have undergone. To them, I am still the madman who slaughtered with glee.”

Jarran said in a quiet voice, “It will be all right, Im. Go back to your party.”

Imoen gave him a rebellious glare until Valygar took her arm and said, “The messenger just arrived in Athkatla, and is just here to gather information. Guards will not be storming the doors this evening.” Looking slightly mollified, she followed him back to the dance floor.

Keldorn frowned. “This is most serious, my friend. The person will soon learn that the rumors are true and carry that information back to Baldur’s Gate.”

“It is simple enough. When there is no risk of snow in the passes, I will go to Baldur’s Gate.”

Jaheira’s eyes widened. “But Sarevok, they will arrest you, perhaps even execute you.”

Sarevok shrugged. “It matters little.”

Jarran put his hand on his brother’s shoulder and said in a low voice, “Anomen would not want you to throw your life away. If you go, then I will go with you.”

“Do not be foolish. You will have a wedding and honeymoon soon, and I will not interfere with that.”

Mazzy said, “Jarran is correct. Anomen would wish you to live a long and happy life. Do not let your grief drive you to risk yourself unnecessarily.”

Sarevok shook his head. “This is not grief, it is… duty. I have changed, yes, but that does not erase the evil that I committed. If there is still a debt to be paid, then I must pay it.”

Jaheira said, “As mad as it seems, I must agree with you, Sarevok. If the Dukes are determined, they will never cease to hunt for you. If you surrender yourself, they will be more likely to believe us.”

Keldorn said, “If you are sure you wish to go, then you will carry a letter to Templemaster Crinlos with you. I will request that the church of Torm defend you.”

“That is good of you, but you need not trouble yourself. Why should I defend myself against their charges when I know I am guilty?” Sarevok said with a frown.

“You can make an excellent case that you were insane at the time. It can also be argued that you have already paid for your deeds.”

“I am not sure that that is true.” Sarevok stared at the floor for a moment before sighing. “When you worked your magic upon me, Jarran, I began to have nightmares. Every night those I murdered haunted my dreams. When Anomen and I became friends and then lovers, the nightmares abated. But now… my sleep is once more disturbed by visions of my victims. I would risk everything, even death, to be free of them.”

Jarran said gently, “Our wedding is in a tenday. Why don’t we leave for Tethyr a bit early? After the ceremony we will travel north.”

Sarevok snorted in amusement. “You will spend your first days of marriage defending a murderer? You have an odd opinion of a proper honeymoon, brother.”

Jaheira smiled and said, “There will be many opportunities for travel in the future, Sarevok. This is far more important.”

With a deep chuckle, Sarevok said, “You give me hope, Jaheira. If you no longer want me dead, then miracles are indeed possible.”

#2 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:02 AM

Jaheira smiled and said, “There will be many opportunities for travel in the future, Sarevok. This is far more important.”

With a deep chuckle, Sarevok said, “You give me hope, Jaheira. If you no longer want me dead, then miracles are indeed possible.”

:twisted:

It's a pod-person! ! ! !

What have you done with Jaheira?!?!

;)

Good to see Mazzy and Keldorn making an appearance. But what about Minsc and Aerie? :wink:

Good little vignette. Glad to aee one more part before Christmas. ;)

The Merry Mutant!

#3 Weyoun

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:06 AM

AC306-Plots and Plans

I need some sleep, time to put the old horse down.
I'm in too deep and the wheels keep spinning round.

“I Need Some Sleep” Eels

Weyoun : No sining elves his time. I scared the elves out of the house by playing some Rammstein (it's murder on their ears... and since it scares them off, it's my favorite music. :)).

“I thought we might travel a bit. You know, it would be nice to see the Sword Coast without a bounty on my head. Maybe… maybe even go to Candlekeep.”

Bet Ulraunt will be really happy to see you again. :wink:

In a flat voice, Mazzy said, “Yes, Jan. I have already heard that tale, thank you.”

Mazzy said sharply, “Yes, that's the one. One of your best, but I have heard it before.”

No, you haven't. :twisted:

Even the one with the hippocampi-herder and the coconut wallpaper?

“But I didn't even say anything,” the gnome said, a touch of hurt in his voice. His eyes lit and he exclaimed, “Ah, here's one I know you haven't heard. Back when I was...”

Mazzy shook her head. “I am sorry to disappoint you, but I already know that one, too.”

Jan, she's lying! Hit her with the nastiest story you can think of! :)

“Aha!” Jan crowed. “I made that last one up just to test you, Mazzy! There is no such story.”

The halfling drew herself up and said in a dignified voice, “You mean to say you have been telling us falsehoods this whole time, Jan? I am so very, very disappointed in you. Since you admit to your dishonesty, I can no longer in good conscience listen to your stories ever again.”

Laska : Well, I've got some stories for you, Mazzy, if Jan's stories aren't good anymore.

Phaere : So have I.

Aribeth : Me too.

Vierna : And me.

Laska : Let's see, I was walking along the forest path one day, when I came across a big lion who was looking for a wardrobe. He said he was trying to fulfill some kind of prophecy by going to a magical land, but accidentally stepped into the wrong wardrobe and ended up here instead. So, I turns around to Phaere and we decide to give Steve Irwin a call so we could help the lion out. But then this huge monkey came running out of the woods as well and started to bang his chest. He was looking for some bloke called Jackson and then we...

Jan shifted nervously. “Ah, yes. I know the fellow. Handsome young gnome, apple of his mother's eye. Wealthy, debonair, beloved by all. Your stepfather was a fortunate man to have met him.”

Ah yes... And Anakin was a fortunate man to have met Count Dooku. ;)

“I would not say the same. The land the Count sold him turned out to be useless swampland overrun by umber hulks and bugbears. My stepfather was almost ejected from the Iron Throne as a result.”

Phaere : Now, if he was a real businessman, he would have turned his luck around by organising guided tours and umber-hulk safari's. *shakes head* So many amateurs in the businessworld these days.

“Baldur’s Gate sent a messenger to find out if the rumors about Sarevok being alive are true.”

Oh, crap...

Imoen gave him a rebellious glare until Valygar took her arm and said, “The messenger just arrived in Athkatla, and is just here to gather information. Guards will not be storming the doors this evening.” Looking slightly mollified, she followed him back to the dance floor.

And considering Athkatla pretty much hates Baldur's Gate, the city not taking action simply to spite them would not surprise me. ;)

“I am not sure that that is true.” Sarevok stared at the floor for a moment before sighing. “When you worked your magic upon me, Jarran, I began to have nightmares. Every night those I murdered haunted my dreams. When Anomen and I became friends and then lovers, the nightmares abated. But now… my sleep is once more disturbed by visions of my victims. I would risk everything, even death, to be free of them.”

Jarran said gently, “Our wedding is in a tenday. Why don’t we leave for Tethyr a bit early? After the ceremony we will travel north.”

Sarevok snorted in amusement. “You will spend your first days of marriage defending a murderer? You have an odd opinion of a proper honeymoon, brother.”

Good point. ;)
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#4 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:33 AM

;)

It's a pod-person! ! ! !

What have you done with Jaheira?!?!

;)

It's a Christmas miracle. :roll:

Good to see Mazzy and Keldorn making an appearance. But what about Minsc and Aerie? :lol:

Oh, they're back in Imnesvale. They can't stay in Athkatla all the time, Minsc has a job to do.

Good little vignette. Glad to aee one more part before Christmas. ;)

The Merry Mutant!

*grumbles*

The Writer Who Is Not Finished With Her Shopping!

#5 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:46 AM

AC306-Plots and Plans

“I Need Some Sleep” Eels

Weyoun : No sining elves his time. I scared the elves out of the house by playing some Rammstein (it's murder on their ears... and since it scares them off, it's my favorite music. ;)).

*peeps from under pillow* It's safe?

Bet Ulraunt will be really happy to see you again. ;)

Thrilled, I'm sure. ;)

No, you haven't. :roll:

And she hopes never to.

Even the one with the hippocampi-herder and the coconut wallpaper?

*Especially* that one.

Jan, she's lying! Hit her with the nastiest story you can think of! ;)

That will get him drop-kicked out of the party.

Laska : Well, I've got some stories for you, Mazzy, if Jan's stories aren't good anymore.

Phaere : So have I.

Aribeth : Me too.

Vierna : And me.

Mazzy: Er, sorry, I hear the baby crying. *runs*

Laska : Let's see, I was walking along the forest path one day, when I came across a big lion who was looking for a wardrobe. He said he was trying to fulfill some kind of prophecy by going to a magical land, but accidentally stepped into the wrong wardrobe and ended up here instead. So, I turns around to Phaere and we decide to give Steve Irwin a call so we could help the lion out. But then this huge monkey came running out of the woods as well and started to bang his chest. He was looking for some bloke called Jackson and then we...

*Silrana dives back under pillow and whimpers*

Ah yes... And Anakin was a fortunate man to have met Count Dooku. ;)

:lol:

Phaere : Now, if he was a real businessman, he would have turned his luck around by organising guided tours and umber-hulk safari's. *shakes head* So many amateurs in the businessworld these days.

Surely you remember the tourists looking for El Blanco?

Oh, crap...

Yup.

And considering Athkatla pretty much hates Baldur's Gate, the city not taking action simply to spite them would not surprise me. ;)

Very true, but on the other hand they might be glad of an excuse to get rid of a dangerous person.

Good point. ;)

;)

Thanks for commenting!

#6 Laufey

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:41 PM

AC306-Plots and Plans

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Sarevok stepped forward and loomed menacingly over Jan. “I have been listening to your stories all evening, gnome, and they have reminded me of a certain trading deal my stepfather made several years ago. He negotiated once on behalf of the Iron Throne for a very lucrative land deal with a gnome named Count Turnipsome, as I recall. Reiltar said he had a habit of constantly telling stories.”

Ah, now this is a story that I love to hear!

“It is simple enough. When there is no risk of snow in the passes, I will go to Baldur’s Gate.”

Jaheira’s eyes widened. “But Sarevok, they will arrest you, perhaps even execute you.”

It is utterly hearbreaking to see him like this, with no fighting spirit. ;) I only hope that he will regain it before the end.

“You can make an excellent case that you were insane at the time. It can also be argued that you have already paid for your deeds.”

Feeling guilty is not the same as deserving to be punished, and I dare say that going to the Abyss is punishment enough for anybody. *huggles Sarevok protectively*

Awwww! ;)
Rogues do it from behind.

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:34 PM

My apologies! I didn't get to reply to this before I left for Christmas, and with my parents' incredibly slow dialup I didn't even try to get to the Attic. Sorry you had to wait so long!

:) :D :(

That was game dialogue. Confess now, Mazzy *can* be funny.

Ah, now this is a story that I love to hear!

Jan is just lucky he's dealing with the reformed Sarevok. :P

It is utterly hearbreaking to see him like this, with no fighting spirit. :D I only hope that he will regain it before the end.

Oh, I have plans for Sarevok. He'll have something to brighten his spirit before much longer.

Feeling guilty is not the same as deserving to be punished, and I dare say that going to the Abyss is punishment enough for anybody. *huggles Sarevok protectively*

Sometimes nothing you do will make you feel right about your past. The best you can do is learn to live with your mistakes.

Awwww! :D

:D

Thanks for commenting!

#8 Guest_UncleN00blarWants*You*!_*

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:16 AM

Funny moments, full of character... Feels good to be back. Nice writing Silrana.

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:19 PM

Funny moments, full of character... Feels good to be back. Nice writing Silrana.

I owe you an apology! I missed that there was another comment on this chapter! Sorry it took me so long to reply.

Thank you for the compliment, and it's good to see you around again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com