Cowled Ones 5

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:29 PM

Jahn Lane. A rather normal street in the north of Athkatla’s Government district. A few minor houses have estates there, and there’s a temple to Tyr. I’ve hardly ever walked the street to be honest. I go straight past it, further north, where there are a few shops near the city wall. Another shop. Another back door. Another incognito Cowled Wizard. I go through the formalities without thinking too much about them. I’ve been to this place many times before.

What could Sir want of us? An evaluation of my response to Relandis’ death to see if I’m still stable? He is my direct superior and accountable for my actions, but I have the impression he has faith in my responsibility. He knows I would take action immediately if one of the others became unreliable.

He has an assignment perhaps? Could be. You never know. But he did say it had something to do with Relandis’ death. Perhaps there is more to this kill than merely one powerful sorcerer and he wants us to investigate? It is possible since we would be motivated, but I hope not. It would merely prolong the grieving process.

I reach the room that I’ve used ever since I came here and put all speculation behind me. Keeping my mind sharp is one thing, but it is unlikely that it will get me anywhere. Clearing my mind I open the door and enter, closing it behind me. Inside is a table with one chair. On the chair another Cowled Wizard, his thin frame suggesting an advanced age, is sitting and reading a scroll. I position myself in front of the table and wait. The man in front of me calmly finishes his page. I keep my eyes on the wall in front of me.

He puts down the book and raises his face to look at me. I slightly incline my head. “Good day, sir.”

“Ah Tas, good day. I’m sorry for keeping you. Thank you for coming on such short notice.” I nod again. Usual polite greetings. Not much to answer to them

“I have heard of Relandis’ death. I will not try to pretend it was a personal loss. He and I have only spoken on a few occasions. But this old man would still like to offer you his sympathies.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“I’ve been rereading some of your reports. He was a very talented evoker. His loss is a blow to the Cowled Wizards. Of course, he was not the only one to have fallen there. Four other Enforcers and three other wizards who happened to be in headquarter at the time were killed. The biggest slaughter of Cowled wizards in Athkatla since the string of killings two years ago.”

I nod again. I know the things he tells me, but he is going somewhere. He just takes his time. I guess at his age you aren’t in a hurry anymore.

“Still, Relandis’ death is a double blow. Not only his talents are lost, but the aura of invincibility of your team has been… dispelled shall we say?” He looks down at the scroll. “Hiron’s last class is an inspiration to responsible and correct Cowled Wizards… in both an encouraging and a… deterring way.”

Another nod. You don’t need to be a diviner to know what the other Cowled Wizards think when you’re bringing someone they may have known in front of a Committee of Five to be sent to Spellhold for the rest of his life. How had young Tas described me again? ‘The diviner who knows fear nor mercy.’

Sir continues. “And now, one of you is dead, together with other Enforcers. Any system depends on the reliability and the FAITH in the reliability of all its processes, including punishment of those abusing the system. The faith has got a severe jolt, which means the reliability might be tested. We need a signal. We need a way to tell outside forces, but especially those within our system, to know that the rules that preserve our existence are still reliably enforced. Otherwise we risk chaos.”

I nod, thoughtfully this time. I have a feeling where this conversation is going to. It makes sense. I could have thought of the option. I assume I subconsciously ignored the possibility. “I see.”

“That is why I called you here, Tas. I realize that your relation with other members in the group is… close, and that Relandis’ death is extremely recent. But for the sake of the Cowl and the city, your group’s strength must be brought to its old level as soon as possible.” He raises his head and speaks gravely. “We have someone as a replacement for Relandis, Tas. We would have him function in your team within a week.”

Yes, just what I expected. I’ve had time to mentally prepare and consider my reply. “Tomorrow. It is best he and the group adapt to each other as soon as possible, before we get used to functioning in a group of five. I assume he is an evoker as well?”

Sir is quiet for a second. Surprise I guess. “I have watched you since before you wore the cowl, Tas, and yet you still surprise me at times.”

An insult or a compliment? Or maybe both. I answer levelly. “Your observations were to the point, sir. Leaving Relandis’ place empty longer than necessary will jeopardize what Relandis and we strove to accomplish. Some emotional unpleasantness will be involved in it, but we must be able to put ourselves past it. Our position demands it.”

“Yes, I see. I was just surprised. As to your question, no, he is not an evoker, but his talents are in the same direction. He is… exceptionally gifted with magic.” Sir says. He likes to speak in euphemisms.

“A sorcerer? I didn’t know there were sorcerer Enforcers.” Sorcerers tend to be a chaotic bunch. There are few that learn to OBEY the regulations, let alone ENFORCE them. Still, there are exceptions to the rule it seems.

“He is… special. Very promising, and showing a great interest in field operations. Considering the bad reputation sorcerers have, many higher placed Cowled Wizards were reluctant to allow this, unless he would be under the supervision of a sufficiently trustworthy colleague. I personally sponsored the boy. I have seen enough people that take their magic from books go bad that I feel we owe him a chance. And you combine the trustworthiness demanded by the most stubborn opponents with the tolerance not to constantly search for mistakes in him. And if he manages to work with you, it sets a precedent that will allow other sorcerers easier access to the positions they have the merits for. You have… some authority among the younger generation.”

I think about young Tas. I guess I can understand. “You called him boy. I trust you will not send a child with us?”

Sir gives a quiet laugh. “At my age, everyone looks like a child. Don’t worry. He is a couple of months past his twenty-first year. And he has the mental and physical fortitude needed to perform. I wouldn’t make you a baby-sitter, Tas.”

I nod. “You understand that the success of our team is based on mutual trust. It would be impossible for us to function as we do now if we do not know every team-member personally. Is he aware that we would expect him to disclose his identity?”

There was a slight chuckle with a sad undertone. “I haven’t given him too much detail. I thought I’d let you explain such things. But I don’t expect it to be a problem. He’s here however. If you wish you could discuss those things with him immediately.”

I sigh inwardly. Seems the day will last past noon for me after all. “Of course. Where is he?”

“In the next room. I’ll leave you two alone unless you have any further questions.” Sir gets up.

“None, Sir.” I wait until he rounds the table and follow him outside.

“Very well then. Good luck then. Leave a message here if you wish to contact me again. I’ll be watching you.” Sir nods once and leaves.

I turn to the next door and mentally prepare myself. I’m tired and I know it, so I can’t afford to go into this room and just improvise. First impressions are everything, and I do wish this to be a success. Twenty one. That’s about as old as young Tas. I hope he’s not another… fan. That might result in tension. No, no speculating. What do you want to do? Gain his trust, explain how things work, find out his strengths and weaknesses and establish whether he is reliable enough to trust him covering our backs. Four goals. Shouldn’t be too hard.

I open the door and carefully close it behind me, activating the permanent warding spells cast upon the room. Inside is a table with two chairs this time. Sitting with his back to the door, a young figure, in a cowl of course, sits up straight before getting up and turning towards me. He seems pretty nervous.

“Please, remain seated.” I say soothingly. Better give him some time to breathe first. “I don’t actually outrank you yet.” I walk over to the table and take the chair, placing it with the side to the door so I sit next to him and not across him. I’ll have time to make sure my authority remains asserted later.

He sits down, but still looks around nervously.

“Are you all right?” I frown. Even with the cowl, the young man is still quite ill at ease. Heh, young man. You’re just a few years older, Tas.

“I’m fine. I just… don’t feel really comfortable in enclosed spaces. Nothing too bad but…” He shrugs apologetically. “Euh… How should I call you then?” His voice is rather pleasant. Slightly nervous tenor, rather warm, but less concerned than Elan.

“For now, T will do. You?” I fold my arms on the table, making sure my back remains straight. I don’t want to be too formal, but we’re not sitting in an inn.

“I’m usually called. ‘Sorcerer.’” A chuckle. No bitterness. “Guess it’s descriptive enough.”

I nod. Personally, I find it too easy to become an insult. Like ‘Coldheart.’ “Very well, Sorcerer. Why do you want to become an Enforcer?”

“For someone like me, it’s the best option. Research and study doesn’t help me much. The only way for me to get more control over my powers is by using them. Up till now I’ve been assisting senior wizards with experiments, and occasionally collaborated with some experiments regarding my power, but I feel like I’m… well, like I’m wasting my time really.” He says, calmer now. Hm, he sounds sincere, and the story makes sense. I’d have been suspicious if I got some idealist story.

“Control is a lofty goal.” I say neutrally. “Now, among some circles, our group, Hiron’s last class, is known. You’ve heard about us?”

“Yeah, I’ve heard the talk. One of the senior wizards I worked with said ‘very competent and good at what they do, but you don’t want them near you’” He paused and gave a thin smile. “‘especially their leader. He’s got every last rule in his head and you can bet your life he’ll have seen every stupid little infraction and made a report in triplicate about it.’ He had had problems with you I understood. Something regarding his research regarding the Nether Scroll.”

“Deforas or whatever his name is knew perfectly well that that subject is on the Black List.” I say deadpan. “Regardless, petty bitterness aside, what he said held a grain of truth. I like to think we get adequate results, and it is true that I have little tolerance for disregard of regulations. Does that bother you?”

“Not at all.” He grins. “Being a sorcerer has its advantages. Either I get spells or I don’t. No business of being accused of having forbidden spells in my book. And I’m not as dependant on scrolls.” The smile vanishes. “I guess that is why I am not usually trusted.”

“I assure you I have no such prejudices. Reality offers enough reasons to be suspicious of people.” I change my tone. I get gloomy when I’m tired. “That is of course the reason why trust is an important part of our group’s dynamics. There are some… unusual circumstances. If you wish to be part of that group, we will expect you to conform to them.”

“Euh… you mean like… special rituals?” He starts. “Euh… You know, there ARE stories about the six of you being so close…”

“No, nothing like that.” And I’m willing to bet that Melanos will have done nothing to suppress those rumours, if he didn’t start them in the first place. “Although we are a close knit group. No, one of the matters is that if a mission fails or unacceptable casualties among bystanders are suffered, I take full personal responsibility, even if individual faults may have been at the cause.” And I have been seriously chewed out at times. We weren’t always the success story.

“The other side of the coin is that I do have a certain authority. Officially my position is on equal level with any other Enforcer. As such, I expect nor would succeed in getting, any honours or special treatment. But I do expect that if I give a command while we are on duty, it is IMMEDIATELY carried out. No discussions, no buts. Only if you are SURE I am operating under a misconception is it allowed. Any other issues, practical, ethical or emotional can be handled AFTER the situation. Our tasks are delicate and dangerous. Individual ‘heroic’ actions can risk the lives both of the other members and bystanders. We operate in concert, and while I am open to ideas, I reserve the final decision. Not that I am infallible, but to act as one, there must be one plan.”

“I understand that.” A solemn nod. Good.

“Related to that, we also have another agreement. One that I didn’t have to use often, and I hope to keep things like that. If I find someone unacceptably careless, insubordinate or otherwise inadequate through his own fault, I CAN instruct a penalty.” I see him stiffen. “That being that we agree that the transgressor is suspended for some amount of time, rarely more than a week. In that time, he or she is not to use any magic. At all. Not using it, not studying it. Not talking about it. After that, clean slate, nothing held against you.”

“That might be a problem. If I don’t use my magic for a length of time, it starts to leave spontaneously. Cutlery moving, things like that.” He says.

“Good point. I assume that in your case, we could arrange a supervised ‘draining’ of innate magical energy in a quick and discrete way. But you can see yourself accepting such disciplinary measures should they end up being necessary? Rest assured, they are NOT given out lightly. We are Cowled Enforcers, not children.”

“I do. It sounds fair.” Once again he nods.

“Right. One last thing then. I said trust was important. For that reason, all of us give each other our true identities. Name, profession in public, living relatives. We don’t actually meet regularly outside Cowled Wizard circles, and I have met the family of most others only rarely if ever. But we have found that it is both better from an emotional as a practical viewpoint to personally know the wizard whose actions your life depends on, and whose life depends on your actions.” I look at him. “Sir said you wouldn’t have any problems with that. Is this true?”

He chuckles sadly. “Yeah, I guess. I don’t really HAVE much of a life outside the Cowled Wizards. I guess that is the less fun part about being a Sorcerer.”

“In that case… I see no reason why we would be unable to work with you. That said…” I feel my stomach contract in fear for a second as I instinctively look around and check the door. No reason to worry. Your name was used plenty of times in the room next door. But to be seen without our cowl is unsettling. However, trust is trust, and the leader goes first.

My cowl comes off, revealing my face and I look our new team member in the face. “I am Tas Savin. Youngest son of House Savin. I live in our estate in the Temple District. No employment outside the Cowled Wizards. It is generally assumed I take care of my mother.” There, no going back now.

With a gesture that looks a lot more casual than mine felt, the sorcerer reveals his face as well. I must say I am surprised. I know that sorcerers are often described as being special, but seeing one in the flesh is… different. The eyes immediately draw the attention. Green with golden sparks. Shoulder-length red hair. Boyish face with an exotic touch that’s hard to define. Note to self, warn him about Melanos.

“My name is Amanos Eyespark. I live above the Herb shop of another Cowled Wizard. Haven’t got a job either.”

“Family?” I ask.

“None that wants to see me.” A sad smile. It seems the sparks grow darker. “Basically, I’ve only gone outside without my cowl five times in the last three months. I die tomorrow, there’s nobody outside the Cowl that needs alerting.”

“I see…” The silence is painful. Blast it, I wish Edon was here. He’s better at this stuff. “I’m… sorry to hear that.”

“It’s all right. You get used to it.” I guess it must be pretty harsh indeed. Having chosen for magic and getting shunned for it is something else than having it thrust on you in a city that associates magic with evil and tyranny. And even friendship among wizards was difficult.

“The others are… more open-minded than most.. I don’t think they mind. However, you probably know our circumstances. They might feel some resentment that you join so soon after… our late colleague is gone. I will support you, of course. They will come around.”

“Thanks.” He sounds pretty grateful.

“Now that those matters are settled, I think we should turn to some practical matters.” I suppress a relieved sigh. First the revealing, than the emotionally tense situation, but now we’re back to familiar terrain.

The next hours pass by quickly. I ask Amanos what his spells are and how good their effect is. He is powerful enough, on par with the others, despite his young age. Most of his spells are evocation, lightning bolts, fireballs, the obligatory magic missiles. That was Relandis’ specialty as well. He also has a few non-lethal spells to charm, render unconscious or hold enemies. Rather few spells to protect himself or remove other protections, but nothing the other team-members can’t make up. Having a sorcerer on board brings a whole new set of possibilities and difficulties. On one hand, we will always have a constant supply of the spells he does possess, which is beneficial in situations you don’t know what to expect. On the other hand, preparation for very specific spells is impossible. Amanos will never fly by his own magic it seems. But there are scrolls for that. I make a mental note to purchase a number of scrolls of spells, wands and potions to compensate for his hiatuses in his range of spells.

Then we spend a long time going over tactics and policy. When do we act, how do we act when first spotting a rogue mage, the warnings, what must happen before we resort to lethal spells. Hand signs to show a variety of messages, ranging from asking for healing to alerting everyone to stay back. The procedure to hold a captured rogue mage, including the gagging that that Irenicus this morning almost avoided. Amanos is surprised to hear that we actually capture even the most inexperienced of mages. Anyone casting as much as a cantrip is held. Not sent off to Spellhold of course. Merely has his spell book removed, his house searched and his identity noted before being let loose. Most aspiring rogue mages need only that warning. Weaker repeat offenders that can be held in a normal prison are handed to the regular authorities.

Eventually, I see that despite his efforts, Amanos’ concentration starts to waver, and my explanations start to become about less and less urgent information. And I feel my tired muscles hurting from continued sitting.

“I think that will be enough for today. You will learn most by doing. If you make mistakes, I’ll tell you. Don’t worry, I will take your inexperience into account.” I say, pushing my chair back.

“Right then. I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then.” Amanos mirrors my motion and we both rise. I feel two round things in my robe where there should be one. Relandis’ Ioun stone.

“Wait a moment. There’s… one more thing.” I say. Amanos stops and waits. I bite my lip, then catch myself and just grimace. I only gathered up the Ioun stone this morning, I can’t hand it to him now. Within a day? Can’t we make a new one? Isn’t Relandis worth the price of a new magical item?

I put a stop to the sentimental objections coming up. Whether I do it now or tomorrow makes little difference in propriety. Yes, it is the first artefact the six of us made together, but it is first and foremost a tool. Not to use it would be wasteful. Besides, I told Amanos I would stand behind him. If I do not let him have Relandi’s Ioun stone, what message do I send out?

I reach in my pocket and pull the ioun stones out, picking the one with the red hue and offering it to Amanos. He takes it curiously. “An ioun stone?”

“We use it for communication. If it’s around your head, anything you say will be transmitted to the others with the Ioun stones, and you will hear what they say. Only the voices of those wearing the Ioun stones. It can’t be turned off, so when you wear it, don’t talk unless you have to, and make sure you don’t lose your concentration while casting.” I try to keep my voice neutral, but some sombreness sneaks in anyway. “It belonged to your predecessor. He made it together with us, before we were even Enforcers. So please take good care of it.”

“…Thank you.” Amanos nods. He understands the meaning. It’s good to see that despite not having to study to obtain magic, he isn’t stupid.

I don’t reply. “I will see you tomorrow then. An hour past sunrise. In the headquarters at the Council of Six building.”

Nothing more is to be said and we both hide our faces again, exiting the room and leaving the meeting place by different exits. When I get back above ground I look at the sun. It’s not long past it’s highest point, but I feel more tired than I have in months.

Time to go home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com