And I don't give a damn 'bout my reputation
Never said I wanted to improve my station
And I'm only doing good when I'm havin' fun
And I don't have to please no one
And I don't give a damn about my bad reputation

Oh no, not me

Joan Jett

Spring in Athkatla…

“Wow, so many people,” Imoen said as she looked down the marble steps of Corthala Manor at the line of coaches and carriages.

Valygar smiled at his wife. “You did ask for a large party to celebrate our marriage.”

“But I don’t even know some of them.”

“You said that we should invite the people who had invited us to their spring parties. That included many noble families. And now, my dear, it is time for you to be Lady Corthala.”

Imoen smiled and nodded as she greeted her guests. Every so often she managed to whisper a comment to Valygar. “Gee, that last family looked like someone has slipped sourgrass into their tea.”

“Their family is nearly as old as the Corthalas. I am sure they are not thrilled to see the revival of my line.”

“Why? I thought only wealth was important here.”

“Oh, wealth is paramount of course, but some families take great pride in maintaining that wealth for many generations. The Corthalas expended their gold on magic rather than parties, so they lost standing in society.”

Imoen could not question him any further since a new group of guests was climbing the stairs. “Keldorn! Lady Maria! I’m so happy to see you.”

Keldorn smiled at her enthusiasm. “You look lovely this evening, Imoen, or should I say Lady Corthala?”

“Oh, I’m always just Imoen to you. And I’m glad to see that you brought Leona and Vesper.” She leaned forward a bit and said to Leona, “You know, I asked a certain family to join us tonight. I believe you know the Braens?”

Leona’s eyes lit with excitement. “Danhis is here?” She nervously smoothed her hair. “Do I look pretty? Is my dress the right color?”

Maria shook her head in amusement. “Leona, you see him at least three times a week at the temple.”

“That’s different.”

As the Firecams went into the house, Imoen winked at Keldorn. The paladin returned it with a wink of his own. Valygar murmured, “What was that all about?”

“I made sure that the boy that Leona is sweet on is here. It was all Keldorn’s idea.”

Valygar chuckled as he turned back towards the carriages. He froze, then swore under his breath. “Imoen… who invited him?”

“You said to invite everyone who had been one of Jarran’s companions, at least the ones we could find.”

Valygar sighed. “When I proposed to you and you suggested this party, did I or did I not say that anyone with the name Jansen was not invited?”

“I thought you were joking.”

They could discuss it no further as a very well dressed gnome stepped up to them. “Valy! Good to see you! Grim as ever, or has this little lady brightened your mood? I’m sure the married life has done wonders for your disposition. Why, I recall when Uncle Mankin got married…”

“Hello, Jan,” Valygar said flatly. “You are looking well.”

“I should be! I’ve got the whole Jansen clan working on making and bottling Jansen and Najames’ Turnibrosia. Old Vaelag is green with jealousy.” Jan gave the couple a smug smile. “And I am pleased to finally meet you, Lady Imoen. I heard a lot about you from Jarran. Sorry I couldn’t help rescue you. There’s a funny story about that. You see…”

Valygar blinked and said hastily, “Yes, Jan, I’m sure you will tell us all about it, but we have more guests to greet.”

“I understand, Valy! I’m sure there will be plenty of time for chat!”

As Jan moved away, Valygar whispered, “Remind me to have him strip searched before he leaves the house.”

“Val!”

At last there were no more visitors for them to greet. Imoen sighed and said, “Now can we finally go into our own party? I’m hungry.”

“Of course.”

She frowned. “And that reminds me… first a stable and now a ballroom. You told me that you had shown me all of the manor, yet you keep ‘remembering’ new rooms.”

“I am sorry, but the ballroom hasn’t been used in generations. It did not leap to mind.”

Imoen shook her head in mock disgust as she took his arm. They joined the others for a large banquet. Extra servants hired especially for the party flitted from place to place serving food that many Athkatlans would have been horrified to know had been prepared with the help of magic.

When the meal was over, the tables were whisked aside to make room for dancing. Imoen grinned at Valygar as he formally led her to the center of the floor for the first dance.

Couples danced, servants expertly circulated among the guests with drinks and finger food, and small groups gathered to chat and gossip.

Imoen flopped into a chair after thanking her dance partner. She fanned her face with her hand, looking around the room for Valygar. Her search was interrupted when a matronly woman approached her.

“Lady Corthala,” the guest said with a courteous nod, “may I congratulate you on a most interesting party. I am Lady Ophal.”

Imoen sprang to her feet. “Oh! I’m pleased to meet you. Your ball is in a few tendays, isn’t it?”

“Yes. We prefer to wait until the flowers in our gardens are in full bloom. Of course, your gardens aren’t quite, well, fully grown, are they?”

“No, we just planted them,” Imoen said cheerfully. “I can’t wait to see what they look like next year.”

“I am sure they will be… enchanting. I must say, Lady Corthala, that you are the talk of Athkatla. Many assumed that the Corthala bloodline had already died out. To see it returned, not only to life but wealth, was quite a surprise.”

“Yeah, poor Val never expected to marry someone like me,” she said with a grin. “And it’s Imoen.”

“Imoen. Of course. And before your marriage you were…?”

“Um, it was still Imoen. Imoen of Candlekeep.”

“I see. I am afraid I am unfamiliar with the nobles of Candlekeep.”

“Oh, I’m not from a noble family,” Imoen said, beginning to grow slightly uneasy.

“Well, I suppose that is to be expected from a Corthala.” Lady Ophal gently patted Imoen’s hand and said, “Still, I can assure you that in Athkatla, noble birth is not required to move in society. If you will place yourself in my hands, I can open many doors. I am afraid you will need a bit of help.”

“I don’t understand.”

Lady Ophal lowered her voice. “My dear girl, your fame and wealth has gained our attention, but there are certain proprieties that must be observed. This little party is quite nice, but the gossip tomorrow will not be of the fine wine or good food you served, but of…” her voice dropped to a hiss, “magic.”

“Magic?”

“There are no lanterns in this room. It is plainly being lit by some magical means. When the tables were cleared away, there was obviously something unnatural assisting the servants.”

“Oh, well, yes, that’s true. So?”

Lady Ophal looked scandalized. “We in the noble class do not dirty our hands with magic. The Cowled Wizards ensure that we are not troubled with such… coarseness.” She shuddered with obvious revulsion. “Now, I can mitigate the social damage for you. Naturally, while you were living a more, ah, stressful life you needed to resort to demeaning methods of survival. But now that you are a noble lady, there is no need for you to be sullied by spellcasting.”

Imoen stared at her for a long moment. In clipped tones, she said, “Lady Ophal, you can take your advice and stick…”

Before she could finish, an arm encircled her waist. “Lady Corthala, I do believe you promised me this dance.” Imoen was swept onto the dance floor before she could even identify her partner.

Her face flushed and red, she faced the man who bowed to her, his eyes twinkling. “I’m sorry, I know I have met you before, but I can’t remember where.”

“Indeed we have met, Lady Corthala, at your brother’s former playhouse. Pehllus Tanislove, at your service.”

As they began the dance, Imoen said, “I remember you now. You gave Jarran a harp.”

“I am flattered that you recall the event so well, my lady.” Lord Tanislove leaned closer and said quietly, “It would not do to antagonize Lady Ophal, my dear. Her family wields a great deal of influence in Amn.”

“But she… oooh, the idea that I would give up my magic just to go to parties… And thinking that the Cowled Wizards are a good thing! I could tell her a story or two.”

“I am sure that you could, but only if she will listen. Let me tell you a small secret, Lady Corthala. The Council of Six is less than pleased with the Cowled Wizards at the moment. Their gross mishandling of the Irenicus situation has not inspired confidence. There is also the small matter of commerce.”

“You’ve lost me.”

“The Red Wizards of Thay are springing up like weeds, in Amn and elsewhere, selling magic items at unheard of prices. Before long, they will completely dominate the trade.” Lord Tanislove gave her a wry smile. “In Amn, we feel that monopolies are excellent, as long as they are in Amnian hands. Otherwise, they are abominations to be eliminated as soon as possible.”

“Why do you care who sells magical objects if people aren’t supposed to buy them?”

“Ah, there you hit on a sore point. You have seen for yourself the attitude that most have for magic and its practitioners. But the Amnian prejudice against wizardry has put us at a disadvantage in many instances. Some caravans refuse to cross our borders for fear that their hired wizards will be arrested. Other merchants do not wish to risk having enchanted objects confiscated by our guardsmen.”

Imoen said dryly, “Gee, how short-sighted of them.”

Lord Tanislove’s face was a mask of well-bred politeness, but his eyes danced with amusement. “I for one believe that this ancient intolerance must change if Amn is to compete profitably with its neighbors. You could serve your new homeland in that respect quite admirably.”

“Me? How?”

“Lady Ophal was correct in saying that you and your husband are the talk of Athkatla, especially among the younger nobles. The tales told of your adventures excite them, good lady. Debutantes will be wearing dresses that resemble wizard robes to this year’s balls, mark my words. Rather than polished and cultured, the young men will attempt to appear as if they have just left the field of battle. You can use your influence to make magic seem daring. You know the allure of the forbidden to the young.”

A slow mischievous grin spread across Imoen’s face. “You want me to stir things up.”

“In a positive manner, of course. From what I have been told of you and your group’s activities, I believe it is a task well suited to your talents.”

She chuckled. “You have no idea.”

#2 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:16 PM

Valygar smiled at his wife. “You did ask for a large party to celebrate our marriage.”

And this differs from most parties, how? Everyone knows, you throw a party, you expect thirty people, you'll get upwards of fifty... and at least half will be folks you don't know. Your friends' friends, for example, and -their- friends... I mean, geez. :D

And now, my dear, it is time for you to be Lady Corthala.

Which means you'll need to trade the giant beer stein full of Guiness for this rather dainty-looking champagne glass. Not a good swap, if you ask me. :D

The Corthalas expended their gold on magic rather than parties, so they lost standing in society.

Ah, the struggles of the nouveau riche... :D

Valygar sighed. “When I proposed to you and you suggested this party, did I or did I not say that anyone with the name Jansen was not invited?”

Oh, please... Jan's always the life of the party... why, I remember this one time, when my Uncle Gerta... I know, I know, Gerta is normally a feminine name, but that's a long story in and of itself. I'll have to see if I have time for it later... anywho...

As Jan moved away, Valygar whispered, “Remind me to have him strip searched before he leaves the house.”

I feel very, very bad for whoever Valygar has on security detail. That is not a pleasant prospect.

(Hands over eight boxes of latex gloves) Good luck, guys. You're gonna need it.

I’m hungry.

Raven: "Pffft. That's a surprise."

Harlequin: "Jealous?"

Raven: "Of how you eat like a horse? Not really, Imoen. Not really."

Harlequin: "You are so jealous. You just -wish- you had my girlish figure."

Raven: "Maybe. I just don't want the binge & purging that goes with it."

Harlequin: "That's low."

Raven: "I'm sorry, did you have a point?"

many Athkatlans would have been horrified to know had been prepared with the help of magic.

But what if someone had a magic-allergy? You know, like people have peanut-allergies? That's serious business!

:D

Imoen flopped into a chair after thanking her dance partner. She fanned her face with her hand, looking around the room for Valygar.

Yeah. Those corsets are rough, aren't they? :D

“Oh, I’m not from a noble family,” Imoen said, beginning to grow slightly uneasy.

Imoen: "Sorry to disappoint you. I'm not a pretentious snob. But if it makes you feel any better, I play one on TV!"

her voice dropped to a hiss, “magic.”

(Gasp!) Heavens to Mergatroid! Oh, no! Say it isn't so!

Oh, the shock! Oh, the horror! Oh, the Soylent Green!

The Cowled Wizards ensure that we are not troubled with such… coarseness.

Raven: "The Cowled Wizards are fixing to be on the wrong end of a plasma-mortar barrage."

Harlequin: "The end with the big booms and the exploded squishies?"

Raven: "That'd be the one."

“It would not do to antagonize Lady Ophal, my dear. Her family wields a great deal of influence in Amn.”

Harlequin: "You know, alternate-universe-me, the war against the Dominion's been kinda slow lately. If you need someone to infiltrate her estate and seed the drinking water with laxative, I happily volunteer."

Raven: "What's going on? Offering to spike the water supply with Ex-Lax again?"

Harlequin: "Have I become that predictable?"

Raven: " 'fraid so. I kinda miss the good old days when you'd come up with something clever. Like putting food coloring in people's beverages so the next time they hit the bathroom, they'd think they were peeing blood."

Harlequin: "Oh yeah! Mazzy still hasn't forgiven me for that one."

Raven: "Don't think she ever will."

Harlequin: "Awww... too bad... so sad..."

Raven: (Snickers) "Evil genius."

Harlequin: "Mutant."

A slow mischievous grin spread across Imoen’s face. “You want me to stir things up.”

Harlequin: "Nothing quite like a few well-placed charges of C4 to stir things up."

Raven: "True, but I'm thinking they should probably go with something that won't result in the destruction of half the city. Besides, you forget one very important fact."

Harlequin: "What's that?"

Raven: "The 'other you's' aren't military. Which means, they don't get to play with the kinds of ordnance we get. They have to rely on... um... magic... and stuff..."

Harlequin: "No laser carbines?"

Raven: "No."

Harlequin: "No air strikes?"

Harlequin: "Pocket-sized nuclear warheads?"

Raven: "Sorry."

Harlequin: "It must be such a sad world to live in."

Raven: "Truly, dear sister. Truly."

#3 Guest_Noelani_*

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:29 PM

Valygar chuckled as he turned back towards the carriages. He froze, then swore under his breath. “Imoen… who invited him?”

“You said to invite everyone who had been one of Jarran’s companions, at least the ones we could find.”

So.....was Korgan ever in Jarran's party? I'm sure he'd LOVE being introduced to Lady Ophal. :D

#4 Guest_Daydreamer_*

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:23 PM

AC305-Bad Reputation

I don't give a damn ‘bout my reputation
You're living in the past, it's a new generation
A girl can do what she wants to do and that's what I'm gonna do
And I don't give a damn 'bout my bad reputation

Oh no, not me

Joan Jett

Nice song. Very Immy.

Spring in Athkatla…

So, how much time's passed?

“Oh, wealth is paramount of course, but some families take great pride in maintaining that wealth for many generations. The Corthalas expended their gold on magic rather than parties, so they lost standing in society.”

Weird, I just finished writing an essay about social mobility this morning. Old money is definitely considered important.

Err, yuck!

Imoen shook her head in mock disgust as she took his arm. They joined the others for a large banquet. Extra servants hired especially for the party flitted from place to place serving food that many Athkatlans would have been horrified to know had been prepared with the help of magic.

I say you wait til they're finished to tell them :D

I guess Jarran never shared the 'child of a distinguished religious personage' remark? :roll:

“Well, I suppose that is to be expected from a Corthala.” Lady Ophal gently patted Imoen’s hand and said, “Still, I can assure you that in Athkatla, noble birth is not required to move in society.

Yes, that's becoming very obvious :twisted:

“In a positive manner, of course. From what I have been told of you and your group’s activities, I believe it is a task well suited to your talents.”

yup, I think Immy's just the girl for that.

Brilliant chapter, as always.

#5 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:33 AM

And this differs from most parties, how? Everyone knows, you throw a party, you expect thirty people, you'll get upwards of fifty... and at least half will be folks you don't know. Your friends' friends, for example, and -their- friends... I mean, geez. ;)

Yes, but they actually *invited* people she doesn't know. No wonder poor Im is confused.

And now, my dear, it is time for you to be Lady Corthala.

Which means you'll need to trade the giant beer stein full of Guiness for this rather dainty-looking champagne glass. Not a good swap, if you ask me. :D

Oh, I don't know. Quantity doesn't always beat quality, after all.

The Corthalas expended their gold on magic rather than parties, so they lost standing in society.

Ah, the struggles of the nouveau riche... ;)

Actually, the Corthalas are a very old noble family, so they wouldn't really be nouveau riche. That implies those who have just 'arrived'.

Oh, please... Jan's always the life of the party... why, I remember this one time, when my Uncle Gerta... I know, I know, Gerta is normally a feminine name, but that's a long story in and of itself. I'll have to see if I have time for it later... anywho...

*loads gun*

I feel very, very bad for whoever Valygar has on security detail. That is not a pleasant prospect.

(Hands over eight boxes of latex gloves) Good luck, guys. You're gonna need it.

*Hervo shudders*

I’m hungry.

Raven: "Pffft. That's a surprise."

Harlequin: "Jealous?"

Raven: "Of how you eat like a horse? Not really, Imoen. Not really."

Harlequin: "You are so jealous. You just -wish- you had my girlish figure."

Raven: "Maybe. I just don't want the binge & purging that goes with it."

Harlequin: "That's low."

Raven: "I'm sorry, did you have a point?"

Ewwww.

many Athkatlans would have been horrified to know had been prepared with the help of magic.

But what if someone had a magic-allergy? You know, like people have peanut-allergies? That's serious business!

;)

Priests are standing by.

Imoen flopped into a chair after thanking her dance partner. She fanned her face with her hand, looking around the room for Valygar.

Yeah. Those corsets are rough, aren't they? :twisted:

Imoen: Corsets? No way am I getting into one of those things!

Imoen: "Sorry to disappoint you. I'm not a pretentious snob. But if it makes you feel any better, I play one on TV!"

:roll:

her voice dropped to a hiss, “magic.”

(Gasp!) Heavens to Mergatroid! Oh, no! Say it isn't so!

Oh, the shock! Oh, the horror! Oh, the Soylent Green!

In Amn, it is shocking. It's silly, but true.

The Cowled Wizards ensure that we are not troubled with such… coarseness.

Raven: "The Cowled Wizards are fixing to be on the wrong end of a plasma-mortar barrage."

Harlequin: "The end with the big booms and the exploded squishies?"

Raven: "That'd be the one."

Sounds like a fine idea to me.

“It would not do to antagonize Lady Ophal, my dear. Her family wields a great deal of influence in Amn.”

Harlequin: "You know, alternate-universe-me, the war against the Dominion's been kinda slow lately. If you need someone to infiltrate her estate and seed the drinking water with laxative, I happily volunteer."

Raven: "What's going on? Offering to spike the water supply with Ex-Lax again?"

Harlequin: "Have I become that predictable?"

Raven: " 'fraid so. I kinda miss the good old days when you'd come up with something clever. Like putting food coloring in people's beverages so the next time they hit the bathroom, they'd think they were peeing blood."

Harlequin: "Oh yeah! Mazzy still hasn't forgiven me for that one."

Raven: "Don't think she ever will."

Harlequin: "Awww... too bad... so sad..."

Raven: (Snickers) "Evil genius."

Harlequin: "Mutant."

If you girls are finished now, we'll move on. ;)

Harlequin: "Nothing quite like a few well-placed charges of C4 to stir things up."

Raven: "True, but I'm thinking they should probably go with something that won't result in the destruction of half the city. Besides, you forget one very important fact."

Harlequin: "What's that?"

Raven: "The 'other you's' aren't military. Which means, they don't get to play with the kinds of ordnance we get. They have to rely on... um... magic... and stuff..."

Harlequin: "No laser carbines?"

Harlequin: "No air strikes?"

Harlequin: "Pocket-sized nuclear warheads?"

Raven: "Sorry."

Harlequin: "It must be such a sad world to live in."

Raven: "Truly, dear sister. Truly."

;)

I think Lord Tanislove was thinking of something a bit less... messy.

Thanks for commenting!

#6 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:39 AM

So.....was Korgan ever in Jarran's party? I'm sure he'd LOVE being introduced to Lady Ophal. :D

While it makes a lovely mental image, there is no way Jarran would have someone like Korgan in his party. He prefers people who don't consider other party members viable targets.

Thanks for commenting!

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:01 AM

AC305-Bad Reputation

Joan Jett

Nice song. Very Immy.

I thought so. ;)

Spring in Athkatla…

So, how much time's passed?

Well, Anomen's funeral was late autumn/early winter, so 4-5 months at least from that point.

Weird, I just finished writing an essay about social mobility this morning. Old money is definitely considered important.

In Amn, however, two things are most important - the amount of money you have, and the amount of money you flaunt. Big flashy homes, and even bigger flashier parties are signs of social success. Old money is good, but lotsa money is better.

Err, yuck!

;)

I say you wait til they're finished to tell them :D

Hehehe.

I guess Jarran never shared the 'child of a distinguished religious personage' remark? ;)

Imoen wouldn't think to say something like that, because she doesn't care what others think. Glad you liked that line. ;)

“Well, I suppose that is to be expected from a Corthala.” Lady Ophal gently patted Imoen’s hand and said, “Still, I can assure you that in Athkatla, noble birth is not required to move in society.

Yes, that's becoming very obvious :twisted:

To be fair, at least Lady Ophal is speaking to her, and wants to help Imoen fit in. Of course, I'm sure wanting to be associated with a rising star has something to do with it.

yup, I think Immy's just the girl for that.

I agree. :roll:

Brilliant chapter, as always.

Thank you! And thanks for commenting!

#8 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:27 AM

Oh boy! More AC! It's an early Christmas!

AC305-Bad Reputation

Oh no, not me

Joan Jett

A little more coarse than I would picture for Immy... But otherwise fits her pretty good. :twisted:

“Wow, so many people,” Imoen said as she looked down the marble steps of Corthala Manor at the line of coaches and carriages.

(Image springs to mind...)

The carriages line up at the valet service, as runners direct the carriages into parking spaces... The 'chirp-chirp' of the security systems engaging as the drivers secure their charges..

;)

You will, Immy.. You will.
And you will wish you didn't in due time.

“You said that we should invite the people who had invited us to their spring parties. That included many noble families. And now, my dear, it is time for you to be Lady Corthala.”

I have the Firefly boxed set. Was watching Shin Dig last night, where Mal goes to a party to meet with a contact, and needs to have a date, so he brings along Kaylee - all dressed up.. You know... She would be a great Imoen, now that I think of it. :roll:

(The commentary mentioned that the dress Kaylee wore at the ball was a dress used in the movie, The King and I. )

As the Firecams went into the house, Imoen winked at Keldorn. The paladin returned it with a wink of his own. Valygar murmured, “What was that all about?”

“I made sure that the boy that Leona is sweet on is here. It was all Keldorn’s idea.”

Matchmaker, matchmaker
Make me a match!

And who are you going to saddle with that unpleasant chore? Maybe have Immy conjure an Unseen Servant...

She frowned. “And that reminds me… first a stable and now a ballroom. You told me that you had shown me all of the manor, yet you keep ‘remembering’ new rooms.”

“I am sorry, but the ballroom hasn’t been used in generations. It did not leap to mind.”

Next he will unveil the game room, complete with pocket billiards and a killer home entertainment system.. Complete with an XBox 360... That works...

Couples danced, servants expertly circulated among the guests with drinks and finger food, and small groups gathered to chat and gossip.

...Of course, Imoen did NOT have any invisible stalkers milling around, they were NOT taking notes, and Imoen was NOT going to use that information to devise a prank of such grand design it would have the population of Athkatla buzzing about it for years to come...

Or they would be wiped out in massive House versus House fighting (a la the Atreides and Harkonens) that would bring the city to the brink of destruction, to which, Imoen would only reply, "Ooops."

Um... single?

"Oh, I'm not from a 'noble' family... Such lowly standing... Actually, I'm a demi-god. You remember Bhaal, god of murder?"

Oh no... Pehllus, here, take this box. It used to belong to a lady named Pandora...

As frightened as I am about what she will do... I can't wait to see what Immy comes up with to... 'stir things up.' :D

Be afraid.. Be very afraid.

;)

The Mutant

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:57 PM

Oh boy! More AC! It's an early Christmas!

:twisted:

AC305-Bad Reputation

Joan Jett

A little more coarse than I would picture for Immy... But otherwise fits her pretty good. :wink:

I figure after all she has been through, she can be a bit rough when she needs to be.

(Image springs to mind...)

The carriages line up at the valet service, as runners direct the carriages into parking spaces... The 'chirp-chirp' of the security systems engaging as the drivers secure their charges..

;)

*snicker* That reminds me, my husband's nickname for those chirps is "The Yuppie Mating Call".

You will, Immy.. You will.
And you will wish you didn't in due time.

Most likely.

I have the Firefly boxed set. Was watching Shin Dig last night, where Mal goes to a party to meet with a contact, and needs to have a date, so he brings along Kaylee - all dressed up.. You know... She would be a great Imoen, now that I think of it. :lol:

Hehehe, there are a lot of similarities between them. We have the set, too.

(The commentary mentioned that the dress Kaylee wore at the ball was a dress used in the movie, The King and I. )

Oooh, I haven't seen that. Was the dress actually in the movie, or just patterned after it?

Matchmaker, matchmaker
Make me a match!

;) Well, they have already 'matched' themselves. Keldorn thought it would be a treat for Leona to get to spend the party with her boyfriend.

And who are you going to saddle with that unpleasant chore? Maybe have Immy conjure an Unseen Servant...

*howling from magical entity is heard*

Next he will unveil the game room, complete with pocket billiards and a killer home entertainment system.. Complete with an XBox 360... That works...

Only if he'll let me come visit.

...Of course, Imoen did NOT have any invisible stalkers milling around, they were NOT taking notes, and Imoen was NOT going to use that information to devise a prank of such grand design it would have the population of Athkatla buzzing about it for years to come...

Or they would be wiped out in massive House versus House fighting (a la the Atreides and Harkonens) that would bring the city to the brink of destruction, to which, Imoen would only reply, "Ooops."

It's a bit early for that. Give Imoen time to find out who she wants to pull pranks on first.

Um... single?

"Oh, I'm not from a 'noble' family... Such lowly standing... Actually, I'm a demi-god. You remember Bhaal, god of murder?"

I don't think she would want to brag about that.

Oh no... Pehllus, here, take this box. It used to belong to a lady named Pandora...

Hee!

As frightened as I am about what she will do... I can't wait to see what Immy comes up with to... 'stir things up.' :twisted:

Be afraid.. Be very afraid.

;)

The Mutant

Oh, Val will keep her from getting too wild. But she will have fun, that is certain.

Thanks for commenting!

#10 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:57 PM

I have the Firefly boxed set. Was watching Shin Dig last night, where Mal goes to a party to meet with a contact, and needs to have a date, so he brings along Kaylee - all dressed up.. You know... She would be a great Imoen, now that I think of it. :twisted:

Hehehe, there are a lot of similarities between them. We have the set, too.

Oooh, I haven't seen that. Was the dress actually in the movie, or just patterned after it?

The commentary was by the screenwriter, the costume designer, and the actress who played Inara. A few minutes after Mal and Kaylee entered the party, they said - if I heard them correctly - that the dress was used in The King and I, and that they had to make sure they got the dress back to the studio intact.

They also mentioned a scene that either didn't get shot, or was cut, where Kaylee, still with the dress on, is dancing with Simon on the ship, and she comments on feeling like a clapper in a bell because the dress is swinging so much.

#11 Darkwolf Shadowwalker

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:29 AM

Finally caught up on all the AC I missed last night, Silrana... must say, I'm staggeringly amazed. Don't know how one follows up something that good :wink:

Really original way of handling the god/mortal thing, and the Sar/Ano thing got me good.

As for this chapter, I think Imoen's adventures in nobility could be an amusing novel all their own :evil:

Edit: Also, Firefly = my god. Good to see at least some of my fellow Atticers have discovered its goodness too.

#12 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:13 AM

Finally caught up on all the AC I missed last night, Silrana... must say, I'm staggeringly amazed. Don't know how one follows up something that good :evil:

Really original way of handling the god/mortal thing, and the Sar/Ano thing got me good.

As for this chapter, I think Imoen's adventures in nobility could be an amusing novel all their own :D

Edit: Also, Firefly = my god. Good to see at least some of my fellow Atticers have discovered its goodness too.

I read that there's a rumor there will be a sequel to Serenity...

December 1, 2005 - IGN FilmForce has heard that, although it was very disappointed in the poor boxoffice showing for Serenity, Universal may not have retired Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his renegade crew just yet.

Sources said that, given the strong sales of the TV series Firefly on DVD, Universal is planning a sequel film to Serenity that will be produced with and to broadcast premiere on the Sci Fi Channel, which is part of the NBC Universal family.

The project is said to be a lower budget undertaking streamlined for the small-screen.

IGN FilmForce checked with Joss Whedon's camp who denied the claim; Universal did not comment.

Time will tell if this rumor pans out.

Maybe it's just someone coming up with a viable option to create a sequel, broadcasting on Sci-Fi and all, but it's encouraging!

(BTW, it sucks that Wash and Book won't be in it. :wink: )

#13 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:18 PM

Finally caught up on all the AC I missed last night, Silrana... must say, I'm staggeringly amazed. Don't know how one follows up something that good :evil:

:wink: Thankee.

Thank you. Dealing with a character death is a big challenge for a writer, and I'm glad you liked how I handled it.

As for this chapter, I think Imoen's adventures in nobility could be an amusing novel all their own :D

I confess that I was a late joiner. I was one of those rather cheesed that the Buffyverse suffered from lack of creative attention because it was all going to Firefly. But my husband borrowed the DVD set from a friend, then had to buy it for himself after watching it. After seeing for myself, I had to admit it was a darn fine show.

#14 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:21 PM

Maybe it's just someone coming up with a viable option to create a sequel, broadcasting on Sci-Fi and all, but it's encouraging!

I'll have to pass this on to my husband and see if he's heard anything else about it. He's usually up on rumors like this.

(BTW, it sucks that Wash and Book won't be in it. :wink: )

*sniff* :evil:

#15 Weyoun

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:21 PM

AC305-Bad Reputation

Oh no, not me

Laska : Oh, look, singing!

Vierna : Go for it!

Weyoun : Simon Cowell actually said Laska made the second rounds when he came back from the hospital. He can actually eat his mush all on his own again. Only took him three months. :)

Tnt Imoen : Well, at least I won't have any parties to deal with. Too bad, though. I would have liked to have been a lady.

Imoen smiled and nodded as she greeted her guests. Every so often she managed to whisper a comment to Valygar. “Gee, that last family looked like someone has slipped sourgrass into their tea.”

Tnt Imoen : Viconia fell into a cauldron of sourgrass-juice when she was a kid and had to drink her way out. Never been quite the same ever since. :)

Maria shook her head in amusement. “Leona, you see him at least three times a week at the temple.”

Laska : What? Behind the bicycle-shed? *winks*

I can see Jan trying to crash the party by wearing a huge fake mustache and saying his name is Ben Bensen. :P

Imoen flopped into a chair after thanking her dance partner. She fanned her face with her hand, looking around the room for Valygar. Her search was interrupted when a matronly woman approached her.

Tnt Imoen : So... she's an honest woman. When are you going to make an honest woman out of me?!

Tnt Viconia : Oh, great, here we go... *grumbles*

Tnt Imoen : Seriously, Valygar did the right thing.

Tnt Viconia : They only reason you want a wedding is because of that giant pink cake you saw the bakery yesterday.

Tnt Imoen : Yes, yes... yeah... ;)

D'oh!

Lady Ophal looked scandalized. “We in the noble class do not dirty our hands with magic. The Cowled Wizards ensure that we are not troubled with such… coarseness.” She shuddered with obvious revulsion. “Now, I can mitigate the social damage for you. Naturally, while you were living a more, ah, stressful life you needed to resort to demeaning methods of survival. But now that you are a noble lady, there is no need for you to be sullied by spellcasting.”

Imoen stared at her for a long moment. In clipped tones, she said, “Lady Ophal, you can take your advice and stick…”

Fry her! ;) That'd sully her. :D

That's a talent for her to exploit. :P
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#16 Laufey

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:50 PM

AC305-Bad Reputation

Oh no, not me

Joan Jett

Ah, another of my favorite songs from Shrek! *happy smile*

Imoen as a Lady - I bet that will take her some adjusting to.

Leona’s eyes lit with excitement. “Danhis is here?” She nervously smoothed her hair. “Do I look pretty? Is my dress the right color?”

Aw, that's sweet. :?

They could discuss it no further as a very well dressed gnome stepped up to them. “Valy! Good to see you! Grim as ever, or has this little lady brightened your mood? I’m sure the married life has done wonders for your disposition. Why, I recall when Uncle Mankin got married…”

And here comes the party crasher! :D

“Lady Corthala,” the guest said with a courteous nod, “may I congratulate you on a most interesting party. I am Lady Ophal.”

The name sounds familiar...is she a game character?

Yes, along with a standard issue tenfoot pole! But no...I think she's got one of those already.

“The Red Wizards of Thay are springing up like weeds, in Amn and elsewhere, selling magic items at unheard of prices. Before long, they will completely dominate the trade.” Lord Tanislove gave her a wry smile. “In Amn, we feel that monopolies are excellent, as long as they are in Amnian hands. Otherwise, they are abominations to be eliminated as soon as possible.”

The Amnians aren't alone in that, I'm sure. :shock:
Rogues do it from behind.

#17 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:08 AM

AC305-Bad Reputation

Oh no, not me

Laska : Oh, look, singing!

Vierna : Go for it!

Weyoun : Simon Cowell actually said Laska made the second rounds when he came back from the hospital. He can actually eat his mush all on his own again. Only took him three months. :shock:

*whimpers* My ears!

Tnt Imoen : Well, at least I won't have any parties to deal with. Too bad, though. I would have liked to have been a lady.

AC Imoen: It's a lot of work.

Tnt Imoen : Viconia fell into a cauldron of sourgrass-juice when she was a kid and had to drink her way out. Never been quite the same ever since. :)

;)

Laska : What? Behind the bicycle-shed? *winks*

AC Keldorn: *ahem* That's my daughter you are talking about!

I can see Jan trying to crash the party by wearing a huge fake mustache and saying his name is Ben Bensen. :P

Oh, he got invited... which means Val doesn't have an excuse to toss him out.

Tnt Imoen : So... she's an honest woman. When are you going to make an honest woman out of me?!

Tnt Viconia : Oh, great, here we go... *grumbles*

Tnt Imoen : Seriously, Valygar did the right thing.

AC Valygar: I knew what I wanted, and that I wanted it for the rest of my life.

Tnt Viconia : They only reason you want a wedding is because of that giant pink cake you saw the bakery yesterday.

Tnt Imoen : Yes, yes... yeah... ;)

You know, I once took a cake decorating class and discovered why they charge extra for chocolate wedding cakes. It is next to impossible to keep dark brown crumbs from showing in white icing.

D'oh!

But Imoen has something more important than noble breeding - money. Lots and lots of money.

Fry her! :? That'd sully her. :D

That's a talent for her to exploit. :D

And nobody does it better than Imoen!

Thanks for commenting!

#18 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:16 AM

AC305-Bad Reputation

Joan Jett

Ah, another of my favorite songs from Shrek! *happy smile*

There are so many good ones.

Imoen as a Lady - I bet that will take her some adjusting to.

Ooooooh yeah.

Aw, that's sweet. :D

:)

And here comes the party crasher! :D

No, much to Valygar's chagrin, he had an invitation.

The name sounds familiar...is she a game character?

I don't think so, but the Ophal family is in Lands of Intrigue.

Yes, along with a standard issue tenfoot pole! But no...I think she's got one of those already.

:shock:

The Amnians aren't alone in that, I'm sure. :?

Not likely. :D

Thanks for commenting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com