Photo

Cards Reshuffled 271

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Laufey

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:54 AM

It's my birthday today, so no commenting until tomorrow on my part, I think. :)

Cards Reshuffled 271 – Corthala Business

Winning is important, right? People like to win, and those who say differently lie. But sometimes, it’s only after you’ve won that the real battle begins.

Excerpt from ‘Ruminations Of A Master Bard’

Shields of moonpale light flared up against Lavok, and the ancient necromancer’s hands started moving with frightening speed as he cast a spell. Before she had the time to think, much less act, a towering creature made entirely out of writhing flames was bearing down on her. Arms of flickering flames reached for her, and she could feel the terrible heat beginning to blister her skin as the fire elemental advanced.

Close combat, bad idea. Standing still to cast a spell, even worse idea. Running? Good idea. She reached deep inside, drawing forth the power of Bhaal, and she shifted into her alternate form. From the perspective of a small red cat, the fire elemental looked bloody huge, but at least this way it should be easier to dodge it. She leapt aside, skidding along the slippery floor on shaking paws, but although the fur on her tail smelt burnt, at least her hide was intact.

Hurry, hurry, hurry. But where to run?

Getting the sense of a battle wasn’t exactly easy when you were this small, but she dared a quick look around her. The ground was going up in flames, and her friends were scrambling to get out of the burning area. The only one who didn’t seem to be the least bit bothered by this was Valygar, who kept steadily advancing on Lavok. He was forced to make a brief pause though, as four shambling ghouls materialized in a circle around him. The stench of rotting flesh was strong in her nostrils as she dove between the legs of one of them, darting through the circle.

A confused roar rose from the throat of one of the ghouls as the fire elemental careened into it, and there was a large cloud of very smelly steam. When the bard retook her normal shape on the other side of the room, two ghouls were burning merrily on the ground, one was shuffling around trying to gather up its severed arms, and Valygar was busy decapitating the fourth and last. As for the fire elemental, it shrieked as a vast cone of freezing wind struck it, courtesy of Jan. When the miniature blizzard cleared, the elemental was a tiny pile of coal.

Hurriedly, the bard cast a simple Magic Missile, hoping that she’d be wrong about those shields. But no, the spell pinged harmlessly off against the shield, doing no damage at all. At least it wasn’t a reflecting shield, that’s something.

Minsc was roaring with berserker fury, stabbing again and again at the necromancer, but Lilarcor was no more successful at getting through the magical shields than magic had been. Somewhere behind, she could hear Edwin finishing a spell of his own, and there was a second fire elemental, this one coming for Lavok, hissing and spitting. The necromancer flinched – while physical attacks could not harm him, it seemed the elemental’s fiery aura was at least doing him some damage.

Bearing her teeth in a growl, Jaheira moved in towards Lavok’s right flank, pausing only briefly to pass a hand over her scimitar in a graceful arc. When the motion ended, small flames were licking the blade, and now the necromancer’s lifeless eyes were filled with apprehension at last. Anomen raised his arm, and the Flail of Ages struck home, adding its own elemental damage, making the necromancer flinch. Rini grinned, drawing her bow. A ghostly arrow flew straight and true, piercing the shield. While the necromancer was still protected against having his flesh harmed, the arrow’s enchantment still seared and burned him, and now the shields winked out, depleted at last.

But Lavok wasn’t nearly ready to give up. Flinging a claw-like hand out he cast another spell, his pallid face twisted with fury. Zaerini felt her movements slow to a crawl…the world had suddenly turned to sluggish taffy, and she was about as swift as a drugged slug. Even worse, she wasn’t the only one. Her friends were slowed as she was, and now Lavok was raising his arms again, his voice rising and falling in a rhythmical cadence that was horribly familiar.

Horrid Wilting. If that goes off, we’re dead. Have to…move…

Impossible, trapped, caught in a snare. No way to fight, no way to flee, able only to stand and die.

Wait. Something moving, something she could barely glimpse at the corner of her eye. A dark shape, moving steadily and with purpose. Valygar. He wasn’t as swift as he had said he had been when fighting the golem, but he was swift enough, and the air around him was filled with the unmistakable tang of strong magic.

Speed spell…he must have cast it just in the nick of time. Go Val, go!

Valygar didn’t speak. He didn’t smile, or taunt. He simply came on, heading for Lavok the way a piece of iron filing is drawn towards a magnet. The necromancer’s black eyes widened, and the shriveled red mouth moved faster as he desperately tried to finish his spell in time. He was almost finished…only a few syllables more…

And Lavok looked down upon the katana piercing his chest, clutching desperately at the sharp blade that had embedded itself within his flesh and penetrated all the way through his back. He went down on his knees, still clinging to the sword. “You…” he whispered. “You are The One. A true Corthala.”

“Yes,” Valygar said, his voice as heavy as lead. “Yes, I am.”

The slowing spell finally broke, and as Rini approached, she could easily see why. On Lavok’s pale and wrinkled skin dark blotches were appearing…almost as if he was decomposing before her eyes.

“Dead soon…” the necromancer whispered, and his voice was almost inaudible. “Dead at last. Thank you.”

“Thank you?!” Valygar spat, and now he sounded truly angry. “You thank me? What do you think this is, wizard, some kind of game? Do you even know what you have done? To me and to all the Corthalas before me?”

Lavok closed his eyes for a moment, but then looked at his descendant again. “I know…” he whispered. “I sought the stars…sought power. And I found it…it found me.”

“What did?”

“It. Outside our stars.” He coughed, spitting out gobs of black blood. “Things beyond the mortal mind. It found me. It took me. And now…it is gone.” The unnaturally red lips twitched into a feeble smile, and the glassy eyes were moist with tears. “I am free.”

Valygar bent over the dieing necromancer. “You expect me to forgive you?” He said in a low voice. “Just like that? After everything you did?”

“No…” Lavok whispered. “No, I don’t expect that. But…there is one thing. The Sphere…it is stranded here. I will aid you. I will tell you how to start and steer it, how to bring us home.” He coughed again. “It has been so long. If you can, will you let me see our own sun and sky one more time?”

There was a long silence. None of the other party members spoke, and Rini was sure that they all felt as she did. This was Corthala business, Valygar’s choice to make. She had no idea at all what she herself would have done.

“Tell me,” he said. “Then, we will see.”

-*-

“So,” Jaheira said a while later. “A demon heart. Just that. As simple as can be.”

“Well,” Zaerini said with a quick grin, “this is the Abyss. They shouldn’t be too hard to find.”

“That is not the point, child, and you know it well.”

Rini looked around, inwardly conceding that Jaheira had a point. This wasn’t exactly the kind of place she would have chosen to go hiking in, had she had a choice about it. Behind, the dusty gray shape of the Sphere, their only safe refuge, looked worryingly small and distant.

The ground was cracked and dry, with deep fissures spewing bubbling lava here and there. Above, the sky was a swirling vortex of red clouds, and if there was a sun, it was nowhere to be seen.

“The wizard could have lied, you know,” Jaheira went on. “I would not consider him the most trustworthy of people.”

“I guess he could, but I don’t think he did. And if he did, Valygar’s back there to take care of him.” Zaerini frowned. “Then again, if that becomes necessary, I guess we all might be dead. So yeah, I know what you mean. But what should we have done? Kill him?”

“It would have been a prudent course of action,” Edwin agreed. “Then again, while I could undoubtedly manage to deduce the inner workings of the Sphere, it might take even my gargantuan mind some time, so the ramblings of this insane necromancer might prove useful. Not to mention that his equally deluded descendant is currently out of our hair, playing nursemaid to him. (Thank Kossuth that I come from a more stable family environment than that.)”

“That is no good at all!” Jaheira protested. “With Valygar keeping an eye on Lavok to make certain he gets up to no mischief, we have one person less to help with the hunting of demon hearts.”

“Ah, but surely we will faire well on our own,” Anomen said with a smile. “Come now, my lady, we have faced and conquered many foes to this day, and there is no doubt in my mind that we will triumph once again.”

The druid simply snorted at that.

“Oh, the glory of awaiting battle!” Minsc said, skipping merrily along with Boo perched on his shoulder. “Boo says that we can gain much honor in this place, but that if we see a very big demon with two monkey heads we should leave it for him.”

“Monkey heads?” Edwin asked. “As in Demogorgon, prince of demons?”

“Boo did not mention the name, but his tiny hamster teeth itch for blood.”

“Well, that should be an entertaining spectacle to watch, at least. (I wonder if it would be possible to magically record the event for later watching?)”

“Uh, guys?” Jan suddenly said. “These demons we’re hunting, would they be about as large as a horse, with fangs and claws, and tentacles coming out of their shoulders?”

“Sounds about right,” Rini agreed.

“And would they have weird glowing eyes, and batwings, and spikes along their backs?”

“Wouldn’t surprise me. Why?”

“Well, there’s one of those perched on that ledge right above us, you see. Don’t like to interrupt you, but I just thought I’d mention it.”

Next: A demon - and a meeting.
Rogues do it from behind.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:50 AM

It's my birthday today, so no commenting until tomorrow on my part, I think. :)

Happy birthday, Laufey! :) I think I’ll open a bottle of that delicious lingonberry liqueur to honor this joyous day. :twisted:

Hurriedly, the bard cast a simple Magic Missile, hoping that she’d be wrong about those shields. But no, the spell pinged harmlessly off against the shield, doing no damage at all. At least it wasn’t a reflecting shield, that’s something.

Got a bit confused here at the first reading through – was she now turning to face Lavok? I didn’t catch it being mentioned that he was surrounded by shields…

Bearing her teeth in a growl, Jaheira moved in towards Lavok’s right flank, pausing only briefly to pass a hand over her scimitar in a graceful arc. When the motion ended, small flames were licking the blade, and now the necromancer’s lifeless eyes were filled with apprehension at last. Anomen raised his arm, and the Flail of Ages struck home, adding its own elemental damage, making the necromancer flinch. Rini grinned, drawing her bow. A ghostly arrow flew straight and true, piercing the shield. While the necromancer was still protected against having his flesh harmed, the arrow’s enchantment still seared and burned him, and now the shields winked out, depleted at last.

I guess they weren’t the kind of shields you could somehow dispel?

Certainly unpleasant… though I remember my group being hit here with both Chain Lightning and Horrid Wilting in quick succession… everyone somehow survived, though most frontline fighters were hanging on a few HP’s. ;)

Wait. Something moving, something she could barely glimpse at the corner of her eye. A dark shape, moving steadily and with purpose. Valygar. He wasn’t as swift as he had said he had been when fighting the golem, but he was swift enough, and the air around him was filled with the unmistakable tang of strong magic.

If you are writing from Rini’s pov, then comparing Valygar’s swiftness here and when fighting the golem seems a little… well, let’s just say, I think it was something she must have seen with her own eyes to compare. Can you realistically imagine someone’s speed just on account of their tales of it? Hmmm… ponder, ponder. :lol:

And Lavok looked down upon the katana piercing his chest, clutching desperately at the sharp blade that had embedded itself within his flesh and penetrated all the way through his back. He went down on his knees, still clinging to the sword. “You…” he whispered. “You are The One. A true Corthala.”

What a way to find out! :lol: Good thing Val made it just in time, too!

“It. Outside our stars.” He coughed, spitting out gobs of black blood. “Things beyond the mortal mind. It found me. It took me. And now…it is gone.” The unnaturally red lips twitched into a feeble smile, and the glassy eyes were moist with tears. “I am free.”

Well, it doesn’t seem like those things were worth finding out, then.

Valygar bent over the dieing necromancer. “You expect me to forgive you?” He said in a low voice. “Just like that? After everything you did?”

Um, I hope I’m not being overly picky, but I think it’s ‘dying’, no?

There was a long silence. None of the other party members spoke, and Rini was sure that they all felt as she did. This was Corthala business, Valygar’s choice to make. She had no idea at all what she herself would have done.

Well, I would not want to end up stranded in the Abyss, so I'd probably listen to what Lavok has to say.

“So,” Jaheira said a while later. “A demon heart. Just that. As simple as can be.”

It doesn’t sound *that* bad – having to kill a demi-leek seemed to be a lot more difficult task. ;)

“It would have been a prudent course of action,” Edwin agreed. “Then again, while I could undoubtedly manage to deduce the inner workings of the Sphere, it might take even my gargantuan mind some time, so the ramblings of this insane necromancer might prove useful. Not to mention that his equally deluded descendant is currently out of our hair, playing nursemaid to him. (Thank Kossuth that I come from a more stable family environment than that.)”

Eddie’s family, stable? Right… ;)

“Oh, the glory of awaiting battle!” Minsc said, skipping merrily along with Boo perched on his shoulder. “Boo says that we can gain much honor in this place, but that if we see a very big demon with two monkey heads we should leave it for him.”

I’m starting to believe that Boo really is some kind of a demon-kin. ;)

“Well, there’s one of those perched on that ledge right above us, you see. Don’t like to interrupt you, but I just thought I’d mention it.”

Yeah, it might be important to know.

I am half-expecting Demogorgon to show up. ;)

#3 Guest_Clovis_*

Posted 22 October 2005 - 11:56 AM

I'll comment on the story when I have a bit more time - but for now - happy birthday!

(Erm, I don't have anything Swedish in my liquor cabinet - will Aquavit do for a toast? :) )

#4 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:34 PM

Shields of moonpale light flared up against Lavok, and the ancient necromancer’s hands started moving with frightening speed as he cast a spell. Before she had the time to think, much less act, a towering creature made entirely out of writhing flames was bearing down on her. Arms of flickering flames reached for her, and she could feel the terrible heat beginning to blister her skin as the fire elemental advanced.

Yeah, that thing probably doesn't even have to be ordered to fight you..just having a flaming elemental hug you or peck you on the cheek would be bad enough, but this one is after ya! Run!

Close combat, bad idea. Standing still to cast a spell, even worse idea. Running? Good idea. She reached deep inside, drawing forth the power of Bhaal, and she shifted into her alternate form. From the perspective of a small red cat, the fire elemental looked bloody huge, but at least this way it should be easier to dodge it. She leapt aside, skidding along the slippery floor on shaking paws, but although the fur on her tail smelt burnt, at least her hide was intact.

Cool, as a smaller target not only are you harder to reach, but your less cover for the fire elemental if someone should choose to attack it with a ranged weapon or spell! That's a really nifty way to get out! (Then again, you are more vulnerable, but hey you're also harder to hit!)

Getting the sense of a battle wasn’t exactly easy when you were this small, but she dared a quick look around her. The ground was going up in flames, and her friends were scrambling to get out of the burning area. The only one who didn’t seem to be the least bit bothered by this was Valygar, who kept steadily advancing on Lavok. He was forced to make a brief pause though, as four shambling ghouls materialized in a circle around him. The stench of rotting flesh was strong in her nostrils as she dove between the legs of one of them, darting through the circle.

*Singing to the tune of "Love and Marriage"* Fire and Un-dead, Fire and un-dead, they go together like a feast to un-fed- :) I mean, hehe. Cool idea, using his own fire elemental to distroy his own ghouls.

A confused roar rose from the throat of one of the ghouls as the fire elemental careened into it, and there was a large cloud of very smelly steam. When the bard retook her normal shape on the other side of the room, two ghouls were burning merrily on the ground, one was shuffling around trying to gather up its severed arms, and Valygar was busy decapitating the fourth and last. As for the fire elemental, it shrieked as a vast cone of freezing wind struck it, courtesy of Jan. When the miniature blizzard cleared, the elemental was a tiny pile of coal.

*Giggle* I'm sorry, but this is just cute! I get the frosty the snowman vibe here... now that his fire's blow out, he's just a lump of coal! (Instead of a lump of snow)

Minsc was roaring with berserker fury, stabbing again and again at the necromancer, but Lilarcor was no more successful at getting through the magical shields than magic had been. Somewhere behind, she could hear Edwin finishing a spell of his own, and there was a second fire elemental, this one coming for Lavok, hissing and spitting. The necromancer flinched – while physical attacks could not harm him, it seemed the elemental’s fiery aura was at least doing him some damage.

I can just hear Edwin muttering about showing him how a real conjurer does it... ;)

Impossible, trapped, caught in a snare. No way to fight, no way to flee, able only to stand and die.

This is the stuff of nightmares! ;)

Valygar didn’t speak. He didn’t smile, or taunt. He simply came on, heading for Lavok the way a piece of iron filing is drawn towards a magnet. The necromancer’s black eyes widened, and the shriveled red mouth moved faster as he desperately tried to finish his spell in time. He was almost finished…only a few syllables more…

Poor Lavok. ;)

“Dead soon…” the necromancer whispered, and his voice was almost inaudible. “Dead at last. Thank you.”

“Thank you?!” Valygar spat, and now he sounded truly angry. “You thank me? What do you think this is, wizard, some kind of game? Do you even know what you have done? To me and to all the Corthalas before me?”

I imagine this would be a bit confusing to poor Valygar.

“Well,” Zaerini said with a quick grin, “this is the Abyss. They shouldn’t be too hard to find.”

Yeah, a demon heart, in a demon ribcage, surrounded by demon skin, protected by demon claws, demon tenticles and sharp little demon minds... I imagine they are everywhere. That might...in fact...be a problem. :)

:lol: Yeah, Eddie, your ancestors are merely Vampires, right? You're only better off because they haven't taken to feeding on your whole family. :twisted:

:lol: ;) ;)

Lol! Leave it to Jan to take that long to tell you a demon is perched above you. And as if it were merely an incidental thing...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (Yay, an excuse to have ice cream!) :)

#5 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 23 October 2005 - 04:35 AM

It's my birthday today, so no commenting until tomorrow on my part, I think.

Congrats. Hope yours didn't suck as much as mine did. :)

I hate birthdays. :twisted:

Winning is important, right? People like to win, and those who say differently lie.

Speedy: "Just a friendly little competition, right?"

Robin: "Yeah. Should be fun."

Speedy: "Because winning isn't everything."

Robin: "It's just the only thing that matters."

it shrieked as a vast cone of freezing wind struck it, courtesy of Jan.

Wow. Jan doing something useful. Didn't think that was possible. :D

When the motion ended, small flames were licking the blade, and now the necromancer’s lifeless eyes were filled with apprehension at last.

I love the Flame Blade spell. Little use except early on in BG2, but still fun.

Valygar didn’t speak. He didn’t smile, or taunt.

Harlequin: (Smirking) "Sounds familiar."

Spectre: (Deadpan) "Yes, it does."

Harlequin: :twisted:

we have faced and conquered many foes to this day, and there is no doubt in my mind that we will triumph once again.

In some cases, that could be seen as confidence. In Anomen's, it just comes across as bravado. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but yeah, he's just talking out his ass right here. :twisted:

Guybrush: "That's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen!"

Kill 'em! Kill 'em quick, before they're all gone!

;)

#6 Guest_Wyvern_*

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:26 AM

It's my birthday today, so no commenting until tomorrow on my part, I think. :twisted:

or the day after tomorrow if it's a really good birthday.

I know Eddie's a conjuror, still you'd think he'd memorize at least one breach spell, but no ...
I bet he thinks elementals are much more impressive.

Wow, Valyger's so focused on winning that he's willing to use magic. Have to wonder how he'll deal with that later on.

“Ah, but surely we will faire well on our own,” Anomen said with a smile. “Come now, my lady, we have faced and conquered many foes to this day, and there is no doubt in my mind that we will triumph once again.”

This will be one long courtship, poor Anomen's not exactly impressing Jaheira.

Just before he screams, and starts running. :twisted:

#7 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:04 AM

A powerful battle scene; not much to comment about, but I enjoyed it - thought I'd let you know. Particularly the part when Valygar makes a decision, himself.

The cliffhanger was a touch predictable for me, but then again, I am reading a lot of Pratchett.

The place where the Sphere lands is one of the most difficult in SOA - for me and my party, at least. I am looking forward to see how your party will do! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

#8 Laufey

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:21 PM

It's my birthday today, so no commenting until tomorrow on my part, I think. :twisted:

Happy birthday, Laufey! :D I think I’ll open a bottle of that delicious lingonberry liqueur to honor this joyous day. :twisted:

Thank you, and hope you enjoyed your drink. :twisted:

Got a bit confused here at the first reading through – was she now turning to face Lavok? I didn’t catch it being mentioned that he was surrounded by shields…

Yes, Lavok...the first paragraph mentioned his shields going up.

I guess they weren’t the kind of shields you could somehow dispel?

No, far too easy that way. ;)

Certainly unpleasant… though I remember my group being hit here with both Chain Lightning and Horrid Wilting in quick succession… everyone somehow survived, though most frontline fighters were hanging on a few HP’s. :P

That's just it - in reality, it couldn't work that way, since if you're down to just a few HP you'd be almost dead.

If you are writing from Rini’s pov, then comparing Valygar’s swiftness here and when fighting the golem seems a little… well, let’s just say, I think it was something she must have seen with her own eyes to compare. Can you realistically imagine someone’s speed just on account of their tales of it? Hmmm… ponder, ponder. :)

Well, not as such. But she's cast the Haste spell herself, and had it cast on her, so she knows what it's like.

Well, it doesn’t seem like those things were worth finding out, then.

Not really. :D

Um, I hope I’m not being overly picky, but I think it’s ‘dying’, no?

Gah! Yes, I never can seem to get that word right.

Well, I would not want to end up stranded in the Abyss, so I'd probably listen to what Lavok has to say.

Indeed.

It doesn’t sound *that* bad – having to kill a demi-leek seemed to be a lot more difficult task. ;)

Oh, I'm sure I'll manage to rough them up somehow. ;)

Eddie’s family, stable? Right… ;)

Well...depends on your definitions. ;)

I’m starting to believe that Boo really is some kind of a demon-kin. :D

Wait and see. :)

I am half-expecting Demogorgon to show up. :?

It will be somebody appropriate, that's all I say. :(

#9 Laufey

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:22 PM

I'll comment on the story when I have a bit more time - but for now - happy birthday!

Thank you! :twisted:

(Erm, I don't have anything Swedish in my liquor cabinet - will Aquavit do for a toast? :twisted: )

Oh, certainly so. :twisted:

#10 Laufey

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:29 PM

Yeah, that thing probably doesn't even have to be ordered to fight you..just having a flaming elemental hug you or peck you on the cheek would be bad enough, but this one is after ya! Run!

That's what I thought too. ;)

Cool, as a smaller target not only are you harder to reach, but your less cover for the fire elemental if someone should choose to attack it with a ranged weapon or spell! That's a really nifty way to get out! (Then again, you are more vulnerable, but hey you're also harder to hit!)

I thought it would be a decent tactic - not perfect, but decent. ;)

*Singing to the tune of "Love and Marriage"* Fire and Un-dead, Fire and un-dead, they go together like a feast to un-fed- :twisted: I mean, hehe. Cool idea, using his own fire elemental to distroy his own ghouls.

Thanks! :)

*Giggle* I'm sorry, but this is just cute! I get the frosty the snowman vibe here... now that his fire's blow out, he's just a lump of coal! (Instead of a lump of snow)

Awwww, now you're making me feel almost sorry for him. :)

I can just hear Edwin muttering about showing him how a real conjurer does it... :D

Oh yes. :P

This is the stuff of nightmares! :D

I'm rough on my characters, well known for it. :D

Poor Lavok. :(

Yes...I do feel quite sorry for him, actually.

I imagine this would be a bit confusing to poor Valygar.

It is. Pretty much a life crisis.

Yeah, a demon heart, in a demon ribcage, surrounded by demon skin, protected by demon claws, demon tenticles and sharp little demon minds... I imagine they are everywhere. That might...in fact...be a problem. :D

Couldn't have put it better myself. ;)

:twisted: Yeah, Eddie, your ancestors are merely Vampires, right? You're only better off because they haven't taken to feeding on your whole family. :twisted:

And then there are his living relatives - while not outright insane, they are certainly a bit out of the ordinary. ;)

Lol! Leave it to Jan to take that long to tell you a demon is perched above you. And as if it were merely an incidental thing...

It's not as if it was a giant turnip, after all. ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (Yay, an excuse to have ice cream!) :D

Thanks! :?

#11 Laufey

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:33 PM

It's my birthday today, so no commenting until tomorrow on my part, I think.

Congrats. Hope yours didn't suck as much as mine did. :?

No, it was quite all right, thanks. ;)

I hate birthdays. :twisted:

Aw, sorry to hear that. :(

Winning is important, right? People like to win, and those who say differently lie.

Speedy: "Just a friendly little competition, right?"

Robin: "Yeah. Should be fun."

Speedy: "Because winning isn't everything."

Robin: "It's just the only thing that matters."

Winning is *nice*. :D

it shrieked as a vast cone of freezing wind struck it, courtesy of Jan.

Wow. Jan doing something useful. Didn't think that was possible. :P

Oh, my Jan is reasonably competent, beneath all the chatter. ;)

When the motion ended, small flames were licking the blade, and now the necromancer’s lifeless eyes were filled with apprehension at last.

I love the Flame Blade spell. Little use except early on in BG2, but still fun.

Yes, and it looks *cool*. ;)

Valygar didn’t speak. He didn’t smile, or taunt.

Harlequin: (Smirking) "Sounds familiar."

Spectre: (Deadpan) "Yes, it does."

Harlequin: :twisted:

:twisted:

we have faced and conquered many foes to this day, and there is no doubt in my mind that we will triumph once again.

In some cases, that could be seen as confidence. In Anomen's, it just comes across as bravado. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, but yeah, he's just talking out his ass right here. ;)

Ah, but he's actually quite sincere about it, not trying to boast. :)

Guybrush: "That's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen!"

:)

Kill 'em! Kill 'em quick, before they're all gone!

:D

Oh, they'll give it a try, at least. ;)

#12 Laufey

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

or the day after tomorrow if it's a really good birthday.

It was quite all right. ;)

I know Eddie's a conjuror, still you'd think he'd memorize at least one breach spell, but no ...
I bet he thinks elementals are much more impressive.

I think he does, yes. Or he could have cast the breach spell already. But the *real* reason is of course that in game, the Lavok battle is very easy for me these days, and I couldn't have them just flatten Lavok in five seconds. :twisted:

Wow, Valyger's so focused on winning that he's willing to use magic. Have to wonder how he'll deal with that later on.

With some difficulty, I dare say.

This will be one long courtship, poor Anomen's not exactly impressing Jaheira.

Well, I never claimed it would be easy. :twisted: But Anomen will have his chances to impress her.

Just before he screams, and starts running. :)

:D

#13 Laufey

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:38 PM

A powerful battle scene; not much to comment about, but I enjoyed it - thought I'd let you know. Particularly the part when Valygar makes a decision, himself.

Thank you! :) And there's another important decision coming up for our taciturn ranger, in the near future.

The cliffhanger was a touch predictable for me, but then again, I am reading a lot of Pratchett.

Well, I love Pratchett. I don't try to imitate him on purpose, but I'm sure I'm influenced by him.

The place where the Sphere lands is one of the most difficult in SOA - for me and my party, at least. I am looking forward to see how your party will do! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I won't make it too easy for them, that's for sure. ;)

#14 Guest_Kendris_*

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:41 PM

It's my birthday today,

Happy birthday!

The stench of rotting flesh was strong in her nostrils as she dove between the legs of one of them, darting through the circle.

A confused roar rose from the throat of one of the ghouls as the fire elemental careened into it, and there was a large cloud of very smelly steam.

Lovely image! :D

Hey...no problem! :wink:

(Thank Kossuth that I come from a more stable family environment than that.)

Uh-huh...right....NOT!!!!

“Boo says that we can gain much honor in this place, but that if we see a very big demon with two monkey heads we should leave it for him.”

“Well, that should be an entertaining spectacle to watch, at least. (I wonder if it would be possible to magically record the event for later watching?)”

I'd pay to see it...

#15 Laufey

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:46 PM

It's my birthday today,

Happy birthday!

Thanks! :wink:

The stench of rotting flesh was strong in her nostrils as she dove between the legs of one of them, darting through the circle.

A confused roar rose from the throat of one of the ghouls as the fire elemental careened into it, and there was a large cloud of very smelly steam.

Lovely image! :?

Glad you enjoyed. :D

(Thank Kossuth that I come from a more stable family environment than that.)

Uh-huh...right....NOT!!!!

*grins* No...Edwin isn't entirely correct about this.

“Boo says that we can gain much honor in this place, but that if we see a very big demon with two monkey heads we should leave it for him.”

I'd pay to see it...

Well...you never know...

#16 Arcalian

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:53 PM

*pets kitty* Go Laufey! Go Laufey! It's your birthday!

Well, not anymore, but it was. I had a confenctioner make some chocolate mini-Dekarases for the occasion. *hands Laufey a box*

Winning is important, right? People like to win, and those who say differently lie. But sometimes, it’s only after you’ve won that the real battle begins.

Adrian: That's usually because one battle leads to another. And another. And another....

Close combat, bad idea. Standing still to cast a spell, even worse idea. Running? Good idea.

Hilarious mental dialogue here.

Funny. Too bad that never happens in the game....except on your OWN side when you summon Air Elemental Prince Chan. The Planetars hate it when he's around.

[

*Adrian nods, shivering*

No Ja-sneer-a, the point is, you are whining about something the party has no choice but to do. As usual. :wink:

I am going to feel VERY sorry for Anomen she decides he's an acceptable replacement for Khalid.

Somewhere, Irenicus is screaming.....
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#17 Laufey

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:00 PM

*pets kitty* Go Laufey! Go Laufey! It's your birthday!

*purrs* :P

Well, not anymore, but it was. I had a confenctioner make some chocolate mini-Dekarases for the occasion. *hands Laufey a box*

Ooooh, yummy! :P *claps hands and start munching*

Adrian: That's usually because one battle leads to another. And another. And another....

Rini: Oh yeah...and with tougher people to kill too.

Close combat, bad idea. Standing still to cast a spell, even worse idea. Running? Good idea.

Hilarious mental dialogue here.

Thanks! :?

Funny. Too bad that never happens in the game....except on your OWN side when you summon Air Elemental Prince Chan. The Planetars hate it when he's around.

Oh yes, that Chan...very annoying fellow, especially when he starts messing with one of Edwin's Dark Planetars.

No Ja-sneer-a, the point is, you are whining about something the party has no choice but to do. As usual. :wink:

Heh, you really don't like her, I know. :D

I am going to feel VERY sorry for Anomen she decides he's an acceptable replacement for Khalid.

Well... :?

Somewhere, Irenicus is screaming.....

Irenicus...oh yes, Irenicus. Still things that need to be done, but his time is coming closer...

#18 Weyoun

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:06 PM

It's my birthday today, so no commenting until tomorrow on my part, I think. :D

Still a belated congratulations. :)

Hah! Mighty barbarian cats do not run! They audit! :P

LOL! there's a cute image.

Nice going valygar! And using magic too! Brave man...

“No…” Lavok whispered. “No, I don’t expect that. But…there is one thing. The Sphere…it is stranded here. I will aid you. I will tell you how to start and steer it, how to bring us home.” He coughed again. “It has been so long. If you can, will you let me see our own sun and sky one more time?”

Interesting, though. All those travels... only to end up home again. Full circle.

With any luck, you'll run into Baby and Fish. :?

(Thank Kossuth that I come from a more stable family environment than that.)”

*cough* Ahum, yes... Stable... Very... Stable... :?

Don't bother. He's a dork. He got himself trapped by Helm of all gods. :P

Well done, Jan. :wink:

a meeting? Interesting that...
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#19 Laufey

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:08 PM

It's my birthday today, so no commenting until tomorrow on my part, I think. :wink:

Still a belated congratulations. :)

Thank you, and thanks again for the present. :P

Hah! Mighty barbarian cats do not run! They audit! :P

In an unfettered way. :D Haven't had time to proofread yet, btw, but don't worry, I'll get to it.

LOL! there's a cute image.

Thanks!

Interesting, though. All those travels... only to end up home again. Full circle.

Well - apart from a little side trip or two, perhaps. :?

(Thank Kossuth that I come from a more stable family environment than that.)”

*cough* Ahum, yes... Stable... Very... Stable... :?

Relatively speaking. :D

a meeting? Interesting that...

Not what you are expecting, I think.

#20 Guest_Shian_*

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:23 PM

Cards Reshuffled 271 – Corthala Business

Would that really work? I wouldn’t think so… but you never know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users