Omegas 41: "TRAIN!"

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Laufey

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:39 AM

In desperation, the two Omegas had knocked over several shelving units, piled them into a sort of makeshift barricade, and were huddled behind them, trying very hard not to get themselves shot, stabbed, or otherwise reduced to bloody hunks of undercooked meat. Falynn pulled a fragmentation grenade from a pocket stitched into the thigh of her uniform, primed it, and flipped it backwards over her head. It exploded a few seconds later, though she was pretty sure it hadn’t accomplished anything useful. “So, I was thinking now was a good time for us to talk about that transfer I was considering.”

*shakes head* Very, very bad time, is how I would phrase it.

“I admit, matters look bleak, but they’re not completely hopeless.”

Only moderately hopeless? :shock:

Valygar frowned, remembering the old military adage: limited intelligence reports are inadequate, detailed intelligence reports are inaccurate, extremely detailed intelligence reports are traps. “So, how can we tell which one is the Major?”

I *really* like that quote! Where does it come from?

Even with all the Wildcat’s jostling, he could feel something rumbling beneath the floorboards, and the light was quickly growing closer. “Train.”

“I see it.”

“TRAIN!”

“I see it!”

Ah, the infamous 'light at the end of the tunnel'. :?
Rogues do it from behind.

#22 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:40 PM

*shakes head* Very, very bad time, is how I would phrase it.

And even that's a bit of an understatement... but then again, she's being a little sarcastic... maybe even more so than usual... if that's possible.

I *really* like that quote! Where does it come from?

It's probably from somewhere else, originally, but I first saw it in a sourcebook for the Star Wars Roleplaying Game... the focus of the book was Rebel Alliance / New Republic Special Forces. They put in a few little quotes here and there: "Firepower is no substitute for stealth. - Infiltrator motto" / "Stealth is no substitute for firepower. - Heavy Weapons motto" Etc.

The "Intelligence reports" quote was in there, too.

Ah, the infamous 'light at the end of the tunnel'.

Yep. It's a literal one. Just have to hope it doesn't become a figurative one, too. ;)

#23 Weyoun

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:33 PM

Beside her, Jaheira had slipped the barrel of her MP5 neutron carbine through a gap in the impromptu barrier and was emptying the clip in a frantic attempt to keep the orcish hordes from charging and scaling the defensive wall. Her shoulders sagged as she retrieved her weapon and slapped a new magazine in. “Falynn, why do you always insist on giving me a hard time about everything?

It's her raison d'etre. ;) 'I toast, therefore I am'. ;)

“Any regrets. Over your life. All the decisions you’ve made.”

Don't think too far back. :)

“Copy that. Thanks for the info, Boo, and keep watching those sensors. We’ll need to know if any more surprises crop up.”

Valygar frowned, remembering the old military adage: limited intelligence reports are inadequate, detailed intelligence reports are inaccurate, extremely detailed intelligence reports are traps. “So, how can we tell which one is the Major?”

Imoen’s smile was all teeth. “She’ll be the blip making all the other blips disappear.”

:)

Imoen blinked. “And I’m supposed to fit an entire IFV into a tram tunnel?”

“Actually, it’s a UL-IFV. It’ll be a little tight, but you’ll manage.”

Harlequin rolled her eyes. “Well, thanks for the vote of confidence.”

:D Here's to hoping she got her driver's license cum laude. :D

Valygar, standing in the gunner’s position, swiveled the Wildcat’s single rapid-fire neutron turret around and loosed a barrage that he hoped would discourage their pursuers.

Lovely chase. Got the image of the APC in Aliens racing through the air-ducts here. :D

“I see it.”

“TRAIN!”

“I see it!”

Well, that's definitely a D'oh!-moment. ;)
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#24 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:14 AM

It's her raison d'etre.

I thought her reason for being was to annoy Ulraunt. Way he gripes, it sure seems that way. :D

Here's to hoping she got her driver's license cum laude.

She probably could have, but I get the feeling she was probably so wild behind the wheel that the guy from the DMV administering the test pissed himself and just decided to pass her instead of risking having her come back to retake it. :D

I imagine Gorion had to pay some really awful car insurance premiums for his daughters. ;)

Lovely chase. Got the image of the APC in Aliens racing through the air-ducts here.

I was going for more of a HALO vibe, but Aliens is damned good, too.

Funny thing is, I'm listening to music from Outrun which is great driving music, just... not at all appropriate for this kind of driving. :D

#25 Guest_Joe_*

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:57 PM

Even with all the Wildcat’s jostling, he could feel something rumbling beneath the floorboards, and the light was quickly growing closer. “Train.”

“I see it.”

“TRAIN!”

“I see it!”

Ah, JLU. Damn Cartoon Network for trying its best to kill it for freakin' anime.

#26 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:23 AM

Ah, JLU. Damn Cartoon Network for trying its best to kill it for freakin' anime.

(Chuckle) Didn't expect anyone to catch the references. I wouldn't have figured there was anyone other than me that watches the Justice League Unlimited Cartoon. :)

Anyway, yeah, I stole one of Canary's lines for Imoen, lifted one of Green Arrow's lines for Valygar, and then did the Huntress/Question scene with Val as Huntress and Imoen as Question. Fun. :D

Anyhow, I doubt Cartoon Network will be ditching the show. DC properties are still doing pretty well, I think. At least... I hope they are. :wink:

#27 Guest_The Blue Sorceress_*

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:05 AM

The storage depot was eerily empty except for Falynn, Jaheira, a handful of empty equipment crates… and about three dozen Dominion infantrymen, the latter of which had expended roughly a long ton of ordnance trying to fill their targets full of holes.

Oh yes, very empty. Hardly a thing in there. :wink:

“Being a provocateur comes naturally to me. It’s nice to know my inborn talents aren’t being wasted.”

Let's just hope you won't get wasted yourself. Wasted as in shot full of holes, I mean. Drunken Falynn is always an entertaining phenomenon.

“So, how can we tell which one is the Major?”

Imoen’s smile was all teeth. “She’ll be the blip making all the other blips disappear.”

If she can get a good shot at them, that is.

“Lieutenant? What’s wrong?”

“Not to panic you or anything, but we’re being followed.”

“Well… lose them.”

The Wildcat-class UL-IFV (Ultra Light – Infantry Fighting Vehicle) leapt forward like a spooked horse

I have had several very unpleasant personal experiences with that particular situation. One of them ended up with me getting stepped on by my spooked horse. [Insert squashed smiley here]

Hot, electromagnetic death poured out towards the two Dominion vehicles, shattering glass and punching through metal, but not scoring any critical hits

Valygar can't confirm his crits I see. :)

“I see it.”

“TRAIN!”

“I see it!”

Well, well, well, I'm curious to see how they get out of this little predicament.

Great chapter, Alpha,
-Blue

#28 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:26 PM

Drunken Falynn is always an entertaining phenomenon.

I'm not sure she's ever -been- drunk in anything I've ever written... Imoen, yes, but Falynn? I can't recall. :D

If she can get a good shot at them, that is.

Well, yes, that's a given, I think. And I imagine Imoen's already taken that into account.

I have had several very unpleasant personal experiences with that particular situation. One of them ended up with me getting stepped on by my spooked horse. [Insert squashed smiley here]

You... you were trampled by a horse? Um... you're... you're all right, now, yeah? 'cause that doesn't sound like a small thing to have happen to you. :wink:

Valygar can't confirm his crits I see.

You know how it is... you roll a natural 20, throw the damned thing again, and end up with a 1. Isn't that always how it goes? :D :)

#29 Guest_The Blue Sorceress_*

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:52 PM

Drunken Falynn is always an entertaining phenomenon.

I'm not sure she's ever -been- drunk in anything I've ever written... Imoen, yes, but Falynn? I can't recall. :D

I'm anticipating. :D

You... you were trampled by a horse? Um... you're... you're all right, now, yeah? 'cause that doesn't sound like a small thing to have happen to you. :wink:

It happened when I was 12, so yeah, I'm fine now. I didn't even get anything broken, which is a good thing since he stepped directly on my spine. I credit my survival to the sandy ground and the fact that my horse realized something was not quite right with the footing so he didn't put all of his weight down. To be honest, the horse was actually more upset about the whole thing than I was. My sister got hold of him and brought him back after getting some woman to call and ambulance and he put his face down right near mine (I was sitting on a log by the side of the two track) and snuffled my hair a little and then put his chin on my shoulder and gave me worried looks until the ambulance showed up.

Valygar can't confirm his crits I see.

You know how it is... you roll a natural 20, throw the damned thing again, and end up with a 1. Isn't that always how it goes? :D :)

Too true!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com