Get Ployer

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rose of Jericho_*

Posted 04 February 2003 - 12:47 AM

"Son of a-!" Renai punched the wall, leaving a fist-sized dent in the plaster. Lost in her helpless frustration, she didn't feel the bones in her hand break. "Son of a-"

"Stop this, child," Jaheira snapped. I have but a few spells of healing remaining to me, and I refuse to waste them on this." A defiant spark glowed in her hazel eyes, but she was swaying on her feet and her shoulders were beginning to slump. Renai doubted the druid had the strength to cast any spell.

She took a deep breath. "You're right." I hate it when she's right. Renai shook her head to clear it, trying to ignore the pain that she now felt radiating from her broken and battered right hand. Focus. I need to focus. I have to get it together or I'll never get anything done. What I need is to shoot without purpose. What I need is my bow, or I'll never find focus. The calm she sought was not found in her thoughts, but her temper had faded just enough for her to tap the small well of healing power within her. Divine magic washed through her body, warming her hand and making her grimace slightly from the pleasure/pain of the skin and bones of her hand knitting back together.

She opened and closed her healed hand and looked up. "Now what? If it's just a curse, we go to the temple and get it removed, right?"

Jaheira wheezed a sigh. "If the cure were so simple, he would not have gloated so. It may be that we must extract it from his hide."

"Who is this guy? You ruined him, what, years ago, and we walk into a bar and he curses you? It sounds like such a bad joke."

"It is a very poor joke. But he will not be laughing in the end." Jaheira tried to sheathe her scimitar, but her hands were shaking so badly she could not. Renai's heart sank; whatever the curse was, it was working quickly. "I do not know why he would have placed the blame of his downfall on me. This was many years ago. But he has had time to let his resentments fester, and sometimes things grow out of proportion when they are not considered in their proper scale." She glanced at Renai, then frowned. "I was not speaking of you. I was speaking of Ployer." Jaheira's voice sounded hollow and ragged, but the firm ring of I am right and you are not still echoed behind her words.

"Not speaking of me? Why the hell would you-" Renai squeezed her eyes shut and put a rein on her temper. She swallowed hard and managed to calmly say, "So where do we find Ployer?"

Jaheira finally put the scimitar away and tottered over to a table, where she sank into the chair with a deep sigh. "There are options. All the mages in Athkatla must register with the Cowled Wizards. Perhaps we can gain information from them." She brightened slightly. "Or perhaps Belgrade."

"Who's Belgrade?"

"He is a merchant who helped the Harpers expose Ployer, and a friend. Bernard may know where we may find him. Belgrade is a frequent purveyor of the Copper Cornet's services." Jaheira began to rise, but Renai shook her head and waved for Jaheira to sit again.

"Let me get my gear and we'll go find Belgrade then. Just rest a moment, all right? I'll be right back." Without waiting for Jaheira's answer, Renai turned to leave.

"Wait," Jaheira said. "I would appreciate if you did not mention my ... current difficulties to the others."

"I don't know why we shouldn't let Sir Keldorn help. You'd only owe him. I can't see why you'd mind that." Jaheira winced, and Renai laughed. It sounded as hollow as Jaheira's voice, but she would rather laugh than cry. She was still laughing when she left the Sea's Bounty.

She ran the short distance to the thieves' guild and entered without looking around to see whether the mess left from the morning battle had been cleaned. At the head of the stairs she found Sir Keldorn, who was pacing about the antechamber to her bedroom. He smiled grimly when he saw her. "I was just beginning to worry."

"You should have started worrying a little bit sooner." Renai entered her room and took up her bow and quiver. "Jaheira's been cursed."

Sir Keldorn gave her a double take, then peered at her from under his brows. "Why did you do that?"

Renai slung her quiver over her shoulder, then fell to her knees to pull a strongbox from under the bed. Dialing the combination of the lock, she popped it open and lifted the box lid. Inside was a small fortune in gold, nearly twelve thousand in gold pieces. A year ago I thought fifty was a fortune. Now this is almost nothing. she thought with a sigh, quickly filling a small bag of holding with what she figured was about a thousand. She had no idea how much it would cost to lift a curse. "Why did I do what?" she asked Sir Keldorn distractedly.

"Curse her." Sir Keldorn shifted from one foot to the other. "I was not even aware you had that ability."

Renai closed her eyes and slapped her forehead with the palm of her hand. It was either that or smack the paladin. "Did you know that I'm not personally responsible for all the evil acts in the world?" A glimmer of devilment made her add, "I'm only responsible for ten percent. The other ninety are done by organized religion and dues-paying groups."

He grunted. Renai opened her eyes, then stood and headed out the door and down the stairs. "This was some guy from Jaheira's past," she said over her shoulder. "We can take care of it. Don't wait up."

She didn't have to look behind her to know that Sir Keldorn was scowling as he followed her. "Wait a moment and I'll join you."

"No." Renai paused at the guild entrance. "It won't be anything. Listen, get some rest. Go home or something. Go slay a dragon, or whatever it is paladins do for fun. This isn't something we need a whole group for." She looked around the room, then into the room where the dead Harpers had lain earlier. It was empty and spotless. "Is Yoshimo around?"

"I have not seen him since this morn."

Renai tried not to show her disappointment. If there was anyone who could help her find Ployer, it would be a bounty hunter. And his presence might help calm her down. Right, like I'm calm whenever he's around. But I wish he were here. She sighed. "I'll hollar if I need you. All right?"

Sir Keldorn bowed stiffly. "I will be at the Order if you have need of me." He held the door open for her and stood there to watch her leave. That's odd, Renai thought. If I didn't know better, I would have sworn he was being nice. She turned the corner to enter the Sea's Bounty. I'm more tired than I thought if I think that's happening.

"Now what?" Renai sat across the table from Jaheira and rubbed her eyes with the heels of her hands. Over Jaheira's shoulder, she saw Bernard, the tavern's proprietor, shouting something to someone in the Coronet's kitchen. "Belgrade's dead and Bernard doesn't know where Ployer is. Where do we go from here?"

"From bad beginnings come good endings," Jaheira said, but she did not sound as if her heart was in the proverb. The walk from the docks to the Coronet -- hardly enough to occupy her attention most days -- had pushed her past her strength. The druid looked as if she were about to fall over dead where she sat. "There are still the mages. We will consult with the officials at the Government Building." Bernard bustled over and put a steaming cup of tea before her. Jaheira made a face. "What is this? I am not an old woman who needs to sip tea. If I must drink something, you will bring me ..." She waved her hand at the bottles and jugs behind the bar " ... that which looks like water and kicks like a mule. That. I feel in the need of a stiff drink."

Bernard gave Renai and imploring look. "Why don't you put it in the tea?" Renai suggested. When Bernard went to fetch the liquor, Renai propped her chin on her hand. "That's going to knock you right out, you know."

"Nonsense. I am well."

"Yeah, that's why you fell into that chair so hard you dented your armor." Renai stood and said to Bernard. "Try to keep her still, will you? I'll be back in a while."

"I'll try, girl. That's not saying much against her." Bernard poured a small amount of a jug's contents into Jaheira's tea. Jaheira sniffed and tried to grab the jug from him, but he easily pulled it from her weak grip. "Just come back soon?"

"I do not need to be coddled so!" Jaheira tried to stand but could not straighten her knees. "Curse this ... curse!" she shouted, then began to cough so hard Renai came to her to pat her on the back. Jaheira slapped her arm away and managed to catch her breath. "You are enjoying this," she gasped at Renai. "You like seeing me humbled and weak."

Renai arched her eyebrow at the druid. "Why would you think that?"

"Because of our argument this morn. You think this is fitting punishment for what wrongs you think I have done. Don't you." Jaheira looked at her sullenly like a pouting child.

Renai opened her mouth to reply, then shut it before she could answer. She had not thought of their argument since she had turned her anger from Jaheira to Ployer. Nine comforting replies sprang to her mind, but Renai disregarded them all. "Not really. I wasn't thinking that. But y'know, you could be right. It's amazing how the gods exact justice like that, huh?" She grinned. "But I didn't have a hand in smiting you, so it's no fun to watch. But at least when I'm done with this, I'll know to get your next curse."

Jaheira snorted and almost smiled. "You can go to the Abyss, child."

"No, just the Government Building. I imagine it'll amount to about the same thing."

Renai left the Government Building more frustrated than she had been when she walked in. The pompous little mage's clerk wouldn't answer her questions and dismissed her before she could even offer him a bribe. Maybe the temples can help me? Or the Order? Renai grimaced. The last thing she wanted was more contact with Athkatla's clergy. But she had to admit it, she needed help. I'll bet the Shadow Thieves can point me in the right direction. What the hell, why not. What did I go through all that trauma to join for if I'm not going to reap some of the benefits?

Lost in her thoughts, Renai plowed right into a mage wearing black and green robes. As he stumbled back from her, she blinked hard and gave him a harder look. "Hey!" she cried. "I've been looking for you. I mean, not you, but ..."

"Errr, yes," the mage answered, settling his robes about him, then drawing himself up to look at her imperiously, as only mages could. "I have been made aware of your inquires. I suppose you have employment to offer us? We are available for hire."

"What do you mean, hire? Aren't you Ployer's men?"

The mage made a face. "Heavens, no. We find Mister Ployer distasteful, even more so than others like him. Although, one cannot choose one's employment as easily as one chooses shoes for the day." The mage offered Renai his hand. "You may call me Terrece. And you are?"

"Renai," she replied and shook his hand. "I have to admit, this is really strange. I wasn't expecting you to be so, um, cordial."

"I find it is in my best interest to treat potential customers with the utmost courtesy. Now, we were discussing your need for our services." Terrece folded his hands together before him and looked expectantly at Renai.

"Can you take off the curse you put on my friend?"

"Alas, I cannot. I am afraid that lies within Mister Ployer's ability, and his alone. But perhaps I can offer you another service. Our contract with Mister Ployer has expired, but we have been asked to perform another task in the future, namely, to defend him against you when you come to call on him. But on the day you come to find him, we might have ... other arrangements." Terrece leaned forward and gave Renai a knowing look. "Perhaps we will not be able to attend that first contract. Regrettable, but it does happen. It is the busy season after all. You understand."

"Oh, certainly." Renai rubbed the tip of her tongue against her teeth, trying to weigh carefully what Terrece was telling her. It was almost too good to be true. But that didn't mean that it wasn't. "And exactly what would it cost to ensure that you're kept busy?"

"We might charge, say, one thousand gold pieces." When Renai winced at the price, Terrece said hurriedly, "This is a much lower figure than the original service cost. But consider, madam, our skills, which you have witnessed already. And, I would guarantee to you that we shall not register within the Cowled Wizards' concerns. I assure you, we are a bargain at any price."

Renai sighed. "That's the best sales pitch I've heard this tenday. And in Athkatla, that's saying a lot." She pulled the little bag from her belt pouch and started to toss it to Terrece, but stopped. "Hey, what guarantee do I have that you won't go back to him and strike the same deal?"

"There is no guarantee but for our dislike for Mister Ployer." Terrece gave Renai the knowing look again. "He is a morally repugnant creature. And in this city, that is saying quite a bit."

"Wonderful." Renai grinned and threw him the bag. "That should do it. One thousand gold, more or less."

Terrece caught the bag with one hand and made it vanish up the sleeves of his robe. "If it turns out to be less, madam, where might I find you to collect the difference?"

What a mercenary little scrollkeeper! Renai cocked her head and gave him what she hoped was a menacing glare. "Ask one of the Shadow Thieves. If you find one of my hirelings, I'm sure one of them can point you in my direction. Or, at least, to my guild."

A look of surprise flitted across the mage's face. "What is a few gold pieces, between allies?" He bowed. "Our guarantee of noninterference just solidified, madam. You will give Linvail our regards?"

Linvail? Renai nodded hesitantly. As Terrece turned and began to walk away, she called out, "Hey wait! I don't suppose you can tell me where I can find Ployer, can you?"

Terrece made a small gesture, and in his hand, in a puff of smoke, appeared a small scroll. "This is a map of Athkatla," he said, handing her the scroll. "You will find Mister Ployer's house marked in the area mapping the slums."

Renai opened the scroll and studied it. Sure enough, in the slums area was a house east of the Copper Coronet, circled in red and labeled, "Derelict House (Ployer). Paid in full (Three thousand)." She whistled. "You guys keep great records."

"We try, madam."

"What's this cost? I don't have any more gold on me, but I can get it. Whatever you want ..."

"That will not be necessary. I only ask that you impress upon Mister Ployer that he should never seek to contract for our services ever again. I ask that you ensure this," Terrece grimaced. "After all, we do have a reputation to uphold. I shudder to consider to whom he has recommended us."

"Consider that a deal." Renai rolled up the scroll and tucked it into her belt pouch. When she looked up, the mage was gone. I should have gotten his card, she thought. You never know when you need a mage. And the ones you can trust the most are the ones that are for hire.

Jaheira was slumped over her table, and for a moment Renai thought she might be drunk. But when she approached the table, the druid looked up and slowly sat up, her eyes shadowed but clear. In the few hours since Renai had left her, Jaheira had gotten worse. Her normally prominent cheekbones were stark now, making her face as sharp and angular as her skull. Renai even thought Jaheira's honey hair was thinner.

Renai pulled out the opposite chair and turned it around to straddle it as she sat. As she pulled the map from her pouch, Renai caught a dank, fetid scent, like an open grave. It was Jaheira's breath, she realized; the curse was killing her from the inside out. She leaned slightly away from the druid as she handed her the map.

"Look," she said. "We couldn't be any luckier, could we?"

Jaheira blinked at the parchment several times and brought it close to her nose to peer at it. "Are you for certain this is true?"

"It could be fake," Renai agreed. "But it has an equal chance of being true. We don't exactly have anything else to go on." Renai took the map back from her. "So I'll go beat him until he cries like a little girl and begs me to let him end your curse, and then I can get back to beating you until you cry like a girl." She grinned at the druid.

Jaheira did not return her smile. "You will do no such thing."

"What, beat you? I think I'm more than capable. You don't fight nearly as well as you think."

"No, not that. You will not confront Ployer. You have done enough today. That poor excuse of a slaver is my problem, not yours. I do not need your assistance."

"Really." Renai snorted. "I know he's older than even you, but I think you need some help on this one. Don't be stupid. Let me take care of it."

"No, I forbid it!" Jaheira seemed to find some strength in her argument, for she sat up and glared at Renai. "You have done more than enough on my behalf today. You will do no more."

Sick or not, the return of Jaheira's insufferable attitude was beginning to grate on Renai's nerves. "Listen, don't tell me what to do. Don't tell me not to help. I'm already in this for a copper, I'd might as well be in it for gold. Or a thousand gold. Which is what I paid to get us this far, Jae, so just shut up and let me finish this, all right?"

"NO! I will not let you! I am his target, not you." The druid shook her head as she spoke, looking more like a caged bear seeking escape than the wildly beautiful woman she was. "It is because of me. I was prideful and cruel to him when we captured him. I taunted him. And he has come to seek his revenge. It is not my fault, I know, but it is my responsibility, and I will take it with my eyes open. And if you were ..." Jaheira looked away and sighed heavily. "I would be upset if you were wounded because I have made an error so long ago."

When Jaheira brought her gaze back to Renai, there were tears in her eyes, and behind them was an emotion she could not quite read. It could have been shame. Or guilt. Or fear. Whatever it was, it was enough to melt some of Renai's irritation. "Jae, you don't have to worry about me."

"I do. I promised your mother, I swore at her grave to her spirit that I would protect you if Gorion could not," Jaheira said fiercely. "I promised ..."

"Jae, just stop! Just because you promised my mother something doesn't mean you have to try to be my mother! Why can't you just be my friend? Why can't you just tell me what I want to hear and talk about me behind my back? Why can't you just ignore me until you need my help? Or use me to steal my boyfriends? Just be my friend!"

Jaheira cocked her head. "Is that what you believe friends do?"

"That's what every girlfriend I've ever had has done." Renai studied the small round scar on her right hand. "Everyone except you and Imoen."

Jaheira reached across the table and took Renai's hand. Her skin felt too warm and paper-thin, almost like a corpse. "If that is what you think friends do, then I have been more remiss in my duties that I believed," she said. "Come. We shall confront Ployer together. But you must help me do one thing first."

So startled at Jaheira's sudden turn, Renai could only close her open mouth and answer, "What?"

"I cannot move. This damn armor is too heavy. I have been trying to rise from this chair for hours and I cannot." She scowled at Renai, although with only half the severity she usual had. "Do not laugh." Renai couldn't keep the grin from spreading across her lips. "Do not smile, either. Stop it. I see what you are doing. Stop it."

Renai snickered. "Oh yeah, you were going to get Ployer all by yourself." Ignoring the slight flush of embarrassment on Jaheira's cheeks, Renai waved to Bernard to get his attention. "Got some leathers to spare?" she called.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com