A Cappella Part 301 - Forward Motion

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:30 PM

Well, I finally dragged Jarran and crew back with a minimum of threats. I have been distracted by work, family, playing City of Heroes (damn you, Mutant Mike, for eating up my last shred of free time), and working on writing projects that people will actually pay me for. I managed to get them talking to me enough to hammer this out.

AC 301-Forward Motion

“Kelemvor?” Jaheira said, her brow furrowed in surprise.

“Well, yes,” Jarran said hesitantly.

“Kelemvor.” The druid seemed to be turning the idea over in her mind. There was a long moment of silence, then Jaheira roared, ”Kelemvor!” What in Faerun were you thinking?”

“You see, there were the paths in my vision, and it seemed so clear at the time and…,” he said, his voice trailing off as he winced at her expression.

“Months we have traveled together, months of avoiding entangling ourselves in such things… why did you not simply accept your heritage if you intended to become a god’s lackey?”

“Now wait a minute,” Jarran said, his temper rising. “I am no one’s lackey. Kelemvor isn’t asking for any special service.”

“A Chosen with no purpose? You are not that great a fool.”

“I think…” Jarran said thoughtfully, “I think Kelemvor wants me to be a sort of figurehead, a symbol for his church. Many people still associate his church with Myrkul and Cyric. It needs something to change attitudes.”

Jaheira snorted in amusement. “How can you possibly make death seem attractive?”

“Not attractive, but not… fearful. At least, it doesn’t have to be.”

“I still say that you are mad!”

“What crazy thing has my brother done now?” Imoen said cheerfully as she and Valygar entered the room. Sarevok trailed behind, his face set in the emotionless expression that he had worn nearly every day since Anomen’s funeral.

Jaheira shot them an irritated glance. “He has decided to worship Kelemvor.”

Imoen wrinkled her nose. “Kelemvor? Does that mean a bunch of gray-robed priests will be at your wedding?”

Horror spread over Jaheira’s face. She whirled to face Jarran and barked, “Well?”

Jarran took a step back. “Er, no… look, Silvanus has no problem with this. Kelemvor won’t care who performs the ceremony, so it will still just be us and the druids.”

Looking slightly mollified, Jaheira said, “Very well. That reminds me, the tailor and tanner will be here tomorrow.”

“Ah….”

The druid sighed and rolled her eyes. “For our wedding clothes? Do you think I am going to borrow ceremonial garb from the druids of the grove for my own wedding?”

Imoen clapped her hands in glee. “Oooh, pretty clothes! What will you be wearing?”

“The traditional tunic is made of pieces of leather dyed and cut to resemble leaves. I will also need a headdress adorned with oak leaves. As for Jarran… I have not been able to pin down precisely what he wishes to wear.” She gave him a sidelong glare.

He held up his hands in placation. “I’ll talk to the tailor. Something simple, that’s all I ask.”

The group heard a polite cough. They turned to see Hervo standing in the doorway. “Excuse me, m’lords and ladies, but a messenger has arrived.” He held out a scroll to Jarran. “It is for you, sir. Is there a reply?”

His face showing his obvious curiosity, the bard took the scroll and unfurled it. After a long moment, he looked up at Sarevok. Quietly he said, “You should read this,” and handed the parchment to the warrior.

Sarevok’s eyes moved rapidly as he absorbed the letter’s contents. Then he met Jarran’s gaze with a hard stare of his own. “You are responsible for this?”

“Yes.”

“Well don’t keep us waiting,” Imoen said. “What does it say?”

“It would seem that our brother sent a message to Baldur’s Gate. He asked the temple of Kelemvor to find Tamoko’s body. Evidently they were successful.”

There was a long silence before Valygar said, “What do you intend to do?”

“I… am not sure. I will think upon this.”

Imoen said, “You can’t go anywhere until after the wedding! And our party, you have to be here for the party!”

Sarevok gave her a wry smile. “I would not travel to Baldur’s Gate on a whim, particularly since it might mean my head.”

“We wouldn’t let that happen.”

“Little sister, how would you stop it? I would not wish you to attack the Flaming Fist for doing their duty. There are many dead in that city because of my deeds, I cannot expect the authorities to have forgotten that.”

“Well… we’ll think of something.”

“Speaking of doing something,” Jarran said, “what reply should I give the messenger?”

Sarevok snorted in amusement. “It was your letter.”

“Very well, I will say that someone will come for her body at the first opportunity, and to keep it safe until then. And Sarevok, if you feel it is not safe for you to go, then I will.”

“I am grateful.”

Later in the day, Imoen went into the small room that had served previous generations of Corthalas as a shrine to Mystra. She was startled to find Valygar staring thoughtfully at the large symbol on the wall. “Oh! I didn’t expect to see you here.”

Valygar smiled slightly, though his mind was obviously far away. “I was just considering Jarran’s new religious ties.”

Imoen gave a mock shiver. “Kelemvor, brrr. I don’t think I like the idea. That wall… if you weren’t a ranger, you could have wound up there.”

Softly Valygar said, “I would have deserved it.”

“Val!”

“I rejected the gods, completely and utterly. Why should they not reject me in turn?”

“But it seems so… so…”

“Cruel? Perhaps. But I had grown very bitter. The specter of Lavok soured every aspect of my life, and I confess that the idea of dying and wasting into nothingness seemed almost pleasant. No more worries or pain or guilt, simply… nothing.”

Imoen put her arms around her husband and said worriedly, “But you don’t feel that way now, right? You aren’t still angry at the world, are you?”

He smiled and pulled her to him. “No, not any longer. I have seen something of the gods now, and I know that they cannot mend every hurt in Faerun. But more importantly, I have discovered that prayers… prayers can be answered. After all, I have you.”

“Oh, now you’re being silly.”

“No, not at all. I told you once before that prayers said in this room were futile. But before we left Athkatla to face Irenicus, I prayed here. I begged any god who would listen to keep you safe. Little did I know that Mystra had already sent Rosie to watch over you. That was the first time, Im, that a god has helped someone I cared about. I owe her my gratitude.”

Imoen grinned. “So you think she’s not so bad, huh?”

“Yes, and when you came in, I was just thinking that we needed to have the symbol replaced and re-dedicated. This room has not been used regularly since before the Time of Troubles, and a different Mystra exists now.”

“That would be nice, and I know just the people to ask about that. By the way, I need to invite some, ah, guests to stay for a short time to help me with a project. Is that all right?”

Valygar frowned. “What devilry are you up to now?”

“Oh, just a little surprise.”

“I know I will probably be sorry, but very well. Who are you inviting?”

She kissed the tip of his nose. “That’s part of the surprise.”

“Yes, I am going to regret this.”

#2 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:56 PM

Hi!

It's just going to be a quick comment this time:

Cool!

And I too, wonder who Immie will invite. . . . :twisted:

#3 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:41 PM

Hi!

*waves*

It's just going to be a quick comment this time:

Cool!

Thanks! All comments are good comments.

And I too, wonder who Immie will invite. . . . :twisted:

Oh, you'll see before too long. :wink:

#4 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:24 PM

Well, I finally dragged Jarran and crew back with a minimum of threats. I have been distracted by work, family, playing City of Heroes (damn you, Mutant Mike, for eating up my last shred of free time), and working on writing projects that people will actually pay me for. I managed to get them talking to me enough to hammer this out.

Me? Whatever did *I* do? :twisted: < whistles innocently >

BTW, pricing for City of Villains was just announced - no additional monthly fee if you already play CoH! :lol:

His face showing his obvious curiosity, the bard took the scroll and unfurled it. After a long moment, he looked up at Sarevok. Quietly he said, “You should read this,” and handed the parchment to the warrior.

Sarevok’s eyes moved rapidly as he absorbed the letter’s contents. Then he met Jarran’s gaze with a hard stare of his own. “You are responsible for this?”

“Yes.”

“Well don’t keep us waiting,” Imoen said. “What does it say?”

“It would seem that our brother sent a message to Baldur’s Gate. He asked the temple of Kelemvor to find Tamoko’s body. Evidently they were successful.”

Imoen said, “You can’t go anywhere until after the wedding! And our party, you have to be here for the party!”

I got a little confused here as to who was talking - Jarran or Sarevok... Of course, I'm easily confused. :wink:

“That would be nice, and I know just the people to ask about that. By the way, I need to invite some, ah, guests to stay for a short time to help me with a project. Is that all right?”

Be afraid... Be... Very.. Afraid...

Very happy to see AC again. Chain them to the computer and don't let them get away!

The Spandex Mutant! (Shanmelessly plugging CoH) :lol: :lol: :lol:

#5 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:07 PM

Me? Whatever did *I* do? :wink: < whistles innocently >

:lol:

BTW, pricing for City of Villains was just announced - no additional monthly fee if you already play CoH! :lol:

Yes, but there is that minor detail of having to buy CoV. :lol: Funds are rather thin at the moment, and I have no intention of playing on the 'dark side'. Though the four extra server slots would be nice.

I got a little confused here as to who was talking - Jarran or Sarevok... Of course, I'm easily confused. :lol:

Sarevok was the one answering questions. I'll throw in a qualifier for the novel page.

Be afraid... Be... Very.. Afraid...

Valygar: And don't I know it!

Very happy to see AC again. Chain them to the computer and don't let them get away!

I try, but they keep getting elbowed aside by a new cast of characters.

The Spandex Mutant! (Shanmelessly plugging CoH) :lol: :D :lol:

Speaking of which, after dragging us into the game, how come we never see anything of you? :twisted: I haven't even gotten to see Jan. Though I was very happy that the very first time I ran Mazzy around Atlas, her name was recognized by a fellow BG2 fan. :lol:

#6 Guest_Wyvern_*

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:49 AM

Jaheira snorted in amusement. “How can you possibly make death seem attractive?”

It might be me, but Jaheira's reaction seems a bit off. I think a druid would view death as a natural part of life, not something to seek out, but still something to be embraced eventually. Especially in Faerun where life after death is an accepted fact.

Imoen wrinkled her nose. “Kelemvor? Does that mean a bunch of gray-robed priests will be at your wedding?”

Imoen's reaction is perfect, though. Straight to the important matters. :twisted:

He held up his hands in placation. “I’ll talk to the tailor. Something simple, that’s all I ask.”

I bet Jarran won't stand a chance of wearing anything even remotely simple.

#7 Weyoun

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:22 PM

Well, I finally dragged Jarran and crew back with a minimum of threats.

Oh, just tie them to a tree to get rid of them for a while. Always works for me.

Elves : *Chain to tree* No, no, we won't go!

Vierna : You shall not cut down this tree!

Aribeth : This wondrous ancient oak shall not fall!

Laska : Odd, though. Why would anyone want to cut down a tree to build an office-building in the middle of a park?

Vierna : ...

Aribeth : ...

Sendai : Who's got the keys?

Weyoun : *taps keys on top of the computer* Ah, a much-needed rest.

I have been distracted by work, family, playing City of Heroes (damn you, Mutant Mike, for eating up my last shred of free time), and working on writing projects that people will actually pay me for. I managed to get them talking to me enough to hammer this out.

Well, payment is good. What are you working on?

“Months we have traveled together, months of avoiding entangling ourselves in such things… why did you not simply accept your heritage if you intended to become a god’s lackey?”

“Now wait a minute,” Jarran said, his temper rising. “I am no one’s lackey. Kelemvor isn’t asking for any special service.”

Yeah, right. ;) :twisted:

“I think…” Jarran said thoughtfully, “I think Kelemvor wants me to be a sort of figurehead, a symbol for his church. Many people still associate his church with Myrkul and Cyric. It needs something to change attitudes.”

Well, Myrkul was a lot cooler than Kelemvor ever was. I've always had a soft spot for undead.

Myrkul would have sent more interesting priests, I bet. ;)

Imoen clapped her hands in glee. “Oooh, pretty clothes! What will you be wearing?”

Something with a leaf-motif? ;)

“The traditional tunic is made of pieces of leather dyed and cut to resemble leaves. I will also need a headdress adorned with oak leaves. As for Jarran… I have not been able to pin down precisely what he wishes to wear.” She gave him a sidelong glare.

Whoa, I was right... ;)

“I rejected the gods, completely and utterly. Why should they not reject me in turn?”

Believe in yourself. That's enough.

Cute. :roll:
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#8 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:39 PM

It might be me, but Jaheira's reaction seems a bit off. I think a druid would view death as a natural part of life, not something to seek out, but still something to be embraced eventually. Especially in Faerun where life after death is an accepted fact.

For herself, yes, but they were talking about people in general. Nobody likes the idea of dying.

Imoen's reaction is perfect, though. Straight to the important matters. :twisted:

I thought so. ;)

I bet Jarran won't stand a chance of wearing anything even remotely simple.

He'll do his best.

Thanks for commenting!

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:55 PM

Well, I finally dragged Jarran and crew back with a minimum of threats.

Oh, just tie them to a tree to get rid of them for a while. Always works for me.

Sendai : Who's got the keys?

Weyoun : *taps keys on top of the computer* Ah, a much-needed rest.

Whenever I have to get mine back, I just cut off their bar tab.

I have been distracted by work, family, playing City of Heroes (damn you, Mutant Mike, for eating up my last shred of free time), and working on writing projects that people will actually pay me for. I managed to get them talking to me enough to hammer this out.

Well, payment is good. What are you working on?

Mostly on an original fantasy novel.

Yeah, right. ;) :twisted:

I don't think Kelemvor would try to order him around. Jarran's a bit volatile for that.

Well, Myrkul was a lot cooler than Kelemvor ever was. I've always had a soft spot for undead.

*blinks*

Er, okay. Considering most undead are slaves of some sort, I find that a bit odd. And that the overwhelming majority represent someone who has had their body and/or soul corrupted and stolen.

Myrkul would have sent more interesting priests, I bet. ;)

If by 'interesting' you mean 'blackmailing bastards'. Myrkul's priests used to show up where people were dying and extort money out of them and their families. They threatened that if they didn't pay up, the dead person's soul would be dragged into Myrkul's realm against their will. That's one of the things Kelemvor's church is having to overcome - when they show up, people expect them to demand a bribe.

Something with a leaf-motif? ;)

Well...

Whoa, I was right... ;)

That's FR canon for druids of Silvanus.

Believe in yourself. That's enough.

As long as you are willing to accept the consequences. Valygar is being realistic. He knows that rejecting the gods means winding up in the wall of the Faithless, so he had no right to complain.

Cute. :roll:

Thankee.

#10 Guest_Vitae_*

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:22 AM

I would like to express my gratitude for you providing us with such a marvellous story for such a long time.

I have followed Jarran's adventures from the very first chapter, and enjoyed every single one of them.

Regards, Vitae

#11 Guest_Finduilas_*

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:11 PM

Too funny. I have a scrapper and a tanker on Justice that do an excellent job sucking up time that might otherwise be spent writing.

“What crazy thing has my brother done now?” Imoen said cheerfully as she and Valygar entered the room. Sarevok trailed behind, his face set in the emotionless expression that he had worn nearly every day since Anomen’s funeral.

Poor guy. Hope that changes eventually.

Horror spread over Jaheira’s face. She whirled to face Jarran and barked, “Well?”

lol. He'd *better* step back. You do *not* mess with the wedding plans.

Sarevok gave her a wry smile. “I would not travel to Baldur’s Gate on a whim, particularly since it might mean my head.”

“We wouldn’t let that happen.”

“Little sister, how would you stop it? I would not wish you to attack the Flaming Fist for doing their duty. There are many dead in that city because of my deeds, I cannot expect the authorities to have forgotten that.”

“Well… we’ll think of something.”

“Speaking of doing something,” Jarran said, “what reply should I give the messenger?”

Sarevok snorted in amusement. “It was your letter.”

“Very well, I will say that someone will come for her body at the first opportunity, and to keep it safe until then. And Sarevok, if you feel it is not safe for you to go, then I will.”

“I am grateful.”

Very thoughtful of Jarran. There's hope that this will help Sarevok in the long run.

This should be interesting!

BTW, how many more chapters do you think this will have? Hopefully I can put off feeling sad that it's over for a little longer...

#12 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:49 PM

I would like to express my gratitude for you providing us with such a marvellous story for such a long time.

I have followed Jarran's adventures from the very first chapter, and enjoyed every single one of them.

Regards, Vitae

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that you have enjoyed AC. I suppose this is proof that once an idea gets stuck in my brain, there is no letting go of it. Besides, I have a feeling that this bunch would stalk me through my dreams if I didn't finish their story. ;)

#13 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:02 PM

Too funny. I have a scrapper and a tanker on Justice that do an excellent job sucking up time that might otherwise be spent writing.

If you ever decide to play on Pinnacle and see a broadsword scrapper named Keldorn, an ice blaster named Viconia DeVir, or a tanker named Mazzy Fentan, they're me. :) The alt I play the most, though, is my empathy defender, Remidi.

Poor guy. Hope that changes eventually.

It will. It will take time, though.

lol. He'd *better* step back. You do *not* mess with the wedding plans.

*chuckles* Even the mighty druid gets riled up over her wedding.

“I am grateful.”

Very thoughtful of Jarran. There's hope that this will help Sarevok in the long run.

It will certainly bring about some changes in his life... ;)

This should be interesting!

I certainly hope so. :)

BTW, how many more chapters do you think this will have? Hopefully I can put off feeling sad that it's over for a little longer...

Oh, my, that's hard to say. A lot of things I had planned to put in the epilogues keep turning into chapters. A bare minimum of 20, I'd say, and probably more.

#14 Guest_Finduilas_*

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:37 PM

If you ever decide to play on Pinnacle and see a broadsword scrapper named Keldorn, an ice blaster named Viconia DeVir, or a tanker named Mazzy Fentan, they're me. ;) The alt I play the most, though, is my empathy defender, Remidi.

Sometimes I play my kids' alts, and they have a couple of toons on Pinnacle, so I'll watch for them. BTW, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one 'stealing' from BG. My tanker is a invul/mace tanker named "Watcher's Hand" who bears an uncanny resemblance to a certain Helmite priest we both know and love.

I once ended up in a pick-up group who was playing an inv/axe tanker who was a dwarven priest of Clangeddin. (sp?) This guy played totally in character, and recognized Watcher as a D&D cleric, so it was a complete hoot.

#15 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:01 PM

If you ever decide to play on Pinnacle and see a broadsword scrapper named Keldorn, an ice blaster named Viconia DeVir, or a tanker named Mazzy Fentan, they're me. ;) The alt I play the most, though, is my empathy defender, Remidi.

Sometimes I play my kids' alts, and they have a couple of toons on Pinnacle, so I'll watch for them. BTW, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one 'stealing' from BG. My tanker is a invul/mace tanker named "Watcher's Hand" who bears an uncanny resemblance to a certain Helmite priest we both know and love.

I once ended up in a pick-up group who was playing an inv/axe tanker who was a dwarven priest of Clangeddin. (sp?) This guy played totally in character, and recognized Watcher as a D&D cleric, so it was a complete hoot.

Oh, we aren't the only ones, far from it. :)

Let's see, I have Keldorn, Viconia and Mazzy. I was leveling Mazzy fresh from the tutorial when she was recognized by a fellow fan who said he planned to create a Minsc character on one of the servers.

Those aren't the only characters I've stolen from BG2. Skald Jarran is a sonic defender, and I just made an arrow blaster named Gyoukou - for a not-yet-introduced AC character.

Mutant Mike has a Jan Jansen.

OGirl has a pseudo-Yoshimo - both Yoshi and Yoshimo were taken. She also has a pseudo-Anomen. She couldn't use the name 'Anomen' because that was already taken by Darkrose, a former regular here at the Attic.

Oh, and if you see a Pinnacle character with the supergroup "The Watcher's Eyes" it's either me, OGirl or Darkrose. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com