About Blood 40: The Smell of Blood

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:51 PM

40: The Smell of Blood

“Monty, I’m tired…” Xzar whined. “Can’t we go to sleep?”

“What ye’re complaining to me for? Hundred-mile-boy there is setting the pace.” He pointed at Talek, sounding rather grumpy himself.

Talek was still marching on tirelessly. Besides his own pack he had taken Viconia and the two wizards’ small backpacks.

“Ouch, my feet will be full of blisters tomorrow and it will be the fault of a certain long-haired fool who is hell-bend on marching all the way to Kara-Tûr in one go. (Perhaps monkey isn’t the right word. Pack mule might be more appropriate.)” Edwin complained.

“I should have known.” Viconia panted. “The slave drivers with the softest words carry the most vicious whips.”

“Oh come on guys. Just a bit longer. We’ll just go over that hill and then we’ll look for a good space and…” Talek said with a smile.

“You’ve said that one hill back…” Montaron complained.

“..and the one before...” Viconia added.

“And the five hills before that.” Edwin concluded.

“Our poor feet hurt.” Xzar said. “And my head. It’s tired and spinning, and I’m starting to see bugs everywhere…”

“But…”

“We need rest!” Talek’s four companions chorused.

The young man’s shoulders sagged. “Okay… we’ll set up camp here… Bah, I’m not tired at all. Only had one good fight today too. I need to keep my skills in practice. I could do some drills but they’re not the same. Where are all those orcs when you need ‘em?” His voice lowered in muttering as he took off the backpacks. Suddenly he raised his head.

“Hey, do you smell something?” He asked and sniffed the air.

“If this is the introduction to a flatulence joke kindly keep them for a later date. Preferably when I am out of earshot.” Edwin grumpily said.

“Nah, I smell blood. Somewhere from that forest.” He pointed at a far off forest.

“Boy, if this is some kind of trick to make us walk more…” Montaron started.

“Hey, I don’t do tricks!” Talek said. “I really smell blood, over there. And I don’t think it’s old blood.”

Viconia sniffed the air. “I smell nothing. Are you sure it is not your own hand?”

Talek took off his gauntlet. “Nope, that one is still clean. Besides, I told you. The smell comes from the forest there.”

“Right. Smell of blood. Great. I commend your fine olfactory senses. Let’s make camp now.” Edwin said.

“Don’t be foolish wizard.” Viconia said. “Whatever spilled that blood might still be there. We cannot afford being surprised.”

Montaron nodded. “We’ll either have to go and check it out and get rid of any threat there…”

“Yes! A fight!” Talek cheered. Edwin just groaned.

“… or keep on walking till we’re far enough.” Montaron finished.

Edwin shrugged. “By all means, let’s walk into the accursed forest based on the total idiot’s hunch. It will probably be some kind of dead wild animal or something. And then I will finally get my much deserved rest.”

“Right!” Talek nodded and took off, followed by the others.

Montaron looked at Viconia. “You already gave him the same hints regarding what insults are allowed, did you? Hard to tell with this guy.”

“I did, halfling.” She grinned in the dark. “Including the one about trying to seduce him.”

Montaron sniggered as Edwin gave them a dark look. “Yes well I suppose the absurdity of the hypothetical situation does make the situation rather comical. Unlike two certain party members that seem to get along extremely well in their incessant mockery of a nameless genius conjurer and may romantically transcend the borders of race if said conjurer doesn’t carbonize them before that.”

Montaron and Viconia stopped dead in their tracks for a moment, then looked at each other and stepped back with an expression of sudden revulsion on their face before turning back to Edwin, who was leisurely following Talek.

Xzar grinned broadly. “Ooooh… burn!”

Viconia’s mouth twitched slightly at the corner. Montaron raised his eyebrows in surprise.

“Hey… you coming?” rang Talek’s voice before any replies could be made.

A few minutes later they had entered the forest. It was dark on the open field, in the forest, you could hardly see your hand in front of your eyes.

“A least we knew you smelled something. What has transpired here? A meeting of vampires with dental problems.? Phew…” Edwin complained.

Talek inhaled deeply. “Most of the blood is in front of us, but I think there’s something…” He bended over and grabbed something out of a bush. “…here.”

It was a severed human hand, some half-clotted drops falling off.

“Okay... we know what the blood is from. Let’s go with the other option. I feel like walking suddenly.” Edwin said.

“Getting cold feet wizard?” Viconia said.

“I’m cold everywhere, which is why I want a warm tent. And in case you forgot, I have used up all my spells. I have no urge to fight some ferocious wild beast that can only be allowed to live in places like this with my dagger.” The wizard looked around. Trees were all around them. There was no place where a monster couldn’t be hiding.

Talek inspected the severed appendage. “Hey Xzar, can you get me a light? A small globe emitting a sickly green light came to live after some words. Both the necromancer and Talek inspected the wounds.

“Oooh… the bone is all smooth. All veins severed at the same length.” Xzar stuck his fingers in.

Talek nodded. “Yep, doesn’t look like an animal’s. Looks more like a sword wound” he grinned, letting ghostly shadows dance across his face. “A very good sword.”

“SHHHHT…. Be silent.” A voice came from behind the trees. Within a second everyone had their weapons drawn and ready, even Edwin.

From behind the trees came a woman. “No need to fear me. I am not the one that caused this. But for the gods’ sake, lower that light and speak softly. And follow me.”

After a moment of hesitation, the party complied and followed the woman, weapons at the ready. Eventually they reached a place where she had been sitting. In the dimmed light of Xzar’s spell they could see the woman was dressed in wizard’s robes, and looked tired and haggard. Her face stained with earth and tear marks.

“Mind telling us what in the Nine Hells happened here?” Montaron asked in a whisper.

The middle aged woman sighed and sat down. “My name is Laryssa. I am… a cousin of the man that did this. He went mad and killed his family a few days ago. Poor Brage…”

Talek gasped. Montaron quickly gesticulated at Viconia that was behind him as the thoughtless swordsman opened his mouth. “Brage, that’s the guy…ouch… Viconia, my hair! That hurt.”

“We have to be quiet remember… why don’t you practice a bit more?” The drow said.

“So, you’ve come to see what’s up?” Montaron asked, coming a bit closer.

The woman nodded. “Yes, I can’t believe Brage would… kill his family. He’s such a kind man. He loved his wife and children. So… me and some others searched for him but…” she shook her head. “He didn’t recognize us. He has gone mad and killed them all. Their corpses are now lying between the victims of some unfortunate travellers.”

Montaron nodded. “So, what will you do now?”

“I… I’m staying here. Maybe he’ll come to his sense. Until then I’ll try to keep other people away, for his security and theirs.” She smiled sadly. “I am a mage of some power.”

Montaron nodded. “Yeah, I understand.”

The short sword pierced the woman’s ribcage and entered her lungs. Montaron quickly clasped his hand in front of her mouth. In the greenish light his grin looked out of a nightmare. “I understand perfectly. Don’t worry; we’ll take care of things from here.” The woman’s eyes widened, then faded as she dropped dead.

“Montaron, couldn’t I do it?” Talek complained.

“It had to be a surprise boy, couldn’t just expect her to wait while I asked ye to off her. Now let’s go after the psychopathic captain of the guard.” The halfling wiped his sword and inspected the corpse. “Hm… a few golders. And some scrolls you wizards might like. But first things first. Let’s hunt us some captains.”

“Are you sure we are the hunters, halfling?” Viconia said.

Montaron grimaced. “That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Now let’s go, before ye make me lose my nerve.”

The party walked deeper into the forest now, the ghostly light of Xzar as dim as possible so they could only see the ground around them. As they advanced, that was enough to tell them to be closer though. The ground was littered with corpses, all of them cut down with great force. Many of them were missing limbs or cut in two. The group advanced step by step, carefully listening between each step.

“Come out, come out, wherever you are.” Talek whispered. He licked his lips nervously and grinned.

“Shhht…” Viconia hissed. “He’s there… asleep…” She pointed in the darkness. “His body is still warm. He is alive.”

“Better fix that.” Montaron answered and readied his crossbow. “Necromancer, give us some light.”

The light intensified and revealed more corpses among the remains of what looked like a caravan that had gone through the forest to avoid bandits. In the middle was a grey-haired man in plate mail sprawled on the ground. It was clear he didn’t as much went to sleep as dropped from exhaustion. One of his hands clenched a sword.

Montaron lined up for a shot, then hesitated and shook his head. “Can’t risk this. I ain’t good enough with this for a sure kill. If I miss or don’t kill him, we’ll have lost the surprise, and I don’t wanna see what that sword can do to us.”

“Chickening out?” Vicnnia said.

With a soft sound Montaron drew his short sword. “Nah, but a slit neck will kill anyone.”

“Hey, Montaron, let me do it. I’m the one that has to go first, right?” Talek also had his sword ready.

“We’re lucky enough your noise didn’t wake him up, boy.” Montaron whispered back. “I’m the sneaksman here, I’ll do it. You just be ready to act if I start yelling.”

Talek scowled but nodded. Montaron quietly stepped toward the sleeping, blood-covered man. Each step was slow as his bare feet scanned the unfamiliar underground. The halfling’s breathing was shallow, quiet and stable. He ignored the sweat drops that were forming and reached his target. The short sword was raised for a killing strike.

Then the man grabbed the sword-arm in an iron grip with his own free hand. His eyes shot open as he stared wild-eyed in front of him.

“NOOOO!” the man screamed.

“Blast, shit, hell, ogreshagging… HELP!” Montaron yelled in panic.

As Talek rushed forward the man got up to his feet, with a sword in one hand and Montaron dragged upwards in the other. “What… I… Wait!”

“Drop Montaron, NOW!” Talek yelled, Varscona glowing green through the magical light.

“Montaron…. Who…?” Brage looked at the terrified halfling in his left hand and released him. The halfling landed on the ground and took his distance without too many worries about brave façades.

“Now…” The halfling gulped as he regained his crossbow. Despite the halfling’s efforts it was noticeably shaking. “…drop the sword.”

Brage extended his hand and shook his head. “I can’t… it won’t let me.” He sobbed. “Please… please tell me it was all a dream… My wife… my children… all those people… Please… tell me I didn’t kill them.”

“You did, male.” Viconia said. “They are all dead by your hand. We are surrounded by your handiwork.”

“Not me… it wasn’t me… the sword… the sword made me do it!” He fell down on his knees again. “I was… I just bought it and promised my son I’d show him how I cut a dummy in two and then… everything went red… Oh Gelon… They’re all… all dead.”

“What will you do now then? Who will you turn to now to ease your pain?” Viconia’s eyes seemed to sparkle. “I know someone who you could confide in…”

“Oh hell no, Sharran. This is no time for conversions!” Montaron hissed.

“Shar? I’ll never turn to Shar… but Helm… Helm can never accept me after… after this… What… I don’t know what I’ll do.” Both Talek and Viconia made dirty faces at the remarks.

Montaron suddenly seemed to get an idea. “Well… there’s my sword that I dropped near you. I’ve found that good, non-magical steel will never let a man down. Ye still got a hand left right?”

The man suddenly stopped crying and nodded. His hand went down where he found the blade the halfling had dropped. Slowly and hesitantly, with his eyes blankly staring in front of him, he started to move it to his throat.

“Oh, no bloody way!” Talek suddenly said. Everyone looked surprised as Talek stepped forward. “This time, I want to get a kill in too. I haven’t killed anything but wolves and gnolls since we left Nashkel. I let Dynaheir drop but I’m calling this guy.”

“Shut UP boy!” Montaron hissed.

Talek didn’t notice the urgency in Montaron’s voice. “Hey, I’m the one that tracked him down, and you’re the one that got the Laryssa woman. He wants to die, I’ll kill him, we get money and we’re all happy.”

“What… you….” The former captain looked around, then dropped the uncursed sword and gave a last look upwards. “I’ve got nothing left to lose.”

With that, he raised the cursed blade and his face changed. The haunted eyes became filled with madness and the bitter mouth became an insane grin. Talek parried the bow, then groaned as the enraged man’s strength was too much for one arm to answer. Dodging a second blow Talek placed his second hand on the sword, still forced to step back under Brage’s relentless assault. The captain was laughing madly now, foaming at the mouth.

“Kill… Kill… More… death.” He said between bouts of laughter. Montaron looked for an opening with his crossbow, knowing that if Brage concentrated on him he was doomed. Edwin tried to hide in the shadows. Viconia and Xzar started casting, but Viconia’s hold spell had no effect and Xzar’s last magic missiles drew blood but did nothing else. Talek had to duck to avoid an overhand swing that cut through a tree with even more ease than Talek’s own sword. Talek managed to dodge as the young tree landed heavily on the madman’s shoulder. Talek clearly thought to have found an opening and attacked. Brage was hardly fazed by the tree though and slashed at Talek. With a curse he ducked to the side, but the cursed blade nicked him in the side, going through the steel as butter with a horrible screeching sound.. Talek groaned as he lost his balance.

There was a twang as Montaron took advantage of a good angle to fire his crossbow in the man’s back. Brage didn’t fall though, but turned around and focused on Montaron; let out a horrifying scream and stormed at Montaron, blood and spitspecks coming out of his mouth. The halfling looked petrified as death came rushing at him.

Then the man went down as one of his feet was severed from his body with a hiss of freezing flesh. Talek was on his knees, one hand on the blood covered Varscona, the other at his side. The enraged man turned around, screaming in agony but still holding the sword and slashing at Talek. Talek deflected the blow though and made another cut across his opponent’s chest, but was overcome when he parried the next blow, feeling the magically enchanted steel dig in his shoulder. Snarling in pain he responded by another fury of blows. Brage was weakening by blood loss a lot more quickly than Talek was, and his slowing speed allowed Talek to wound him more and finally deliver a killing blow at the neck.

As Brage sank to the ground Talek leaned back, regaining his breath with a big grin on his face, trying to raise his arms in victory but stopping when the wounds stung.

“Hey drow, could you heal him? He looks pretty banged up.” Montaron said in a calm voice.

“Yeah, I think I’ll do that.” Viconia answered. Seconds later Talek’s injuries were healed and Xzar quickly mended the armour. Talek got up again.

“Heh, now THAT was some fight! Man, that guy took a LOT to take down…” Talek then noticed that Montaron was glaring at him. “Euh… Montaron? Something wrong?”

“First of all lad, thanks for saving my life.” Montaron started.

“Hey, you’re welcome.” Talek said, oblivious of the expecting glances Edwin and Viconia threw from Montaron to Talek.

“Now that’s out of the way, WHAT THE HELL DO YE THINK YE’RE DOING, BOY?!” Montaron yelled.

“Huh?” Talek said.

“When ye’ve got a psycho with a supermagic sword that cuts people in HALF, and I’ve got him so far to spare us the trouble, you keep your fool mouth SHUT!”

“But…” Talek started.

“Yes, you wanted to kill someone. I don’t care, I’m okay with that. To each their own. But your ‘I wanna kill someone today’ almost got ALL OF US killed!”

“I could take him, nothing happened.” Talek claimed.

“He took some of yer hair, didn’t he! One second later and ye’d be headless, and what do ye think happens then? Lemme help ye. The four of us join the merry club of human puzzles on the forest floor here, yer friend Imoen never sees ye again and gets herself killed looking for ye and the guy that killed yer dad dies of a stroke in eighty years in his palace while he’s boinking three beautiful women of a race of his choosing. All because YOU HAD to get your kill. That what you want? That what you bloody want? Cause this is how you’re gonna get it!”

During Montaron’s tirade Talek had been fiddling with the handle of his sword. “I…euh… I mean…” He looked at Edwin and Viconia’s face, finding little comfort there and bowed his head. “I’m sorry… I didn’t think…”

“That’s the problem. You don’t THINK.” Montaron snapped.

Talek didn’t answer.

Montaron sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Look, I know ye ain’t the kinda guy to think everything through. And I also know ye don’t like following orders, which is good cause I don’t like giving ‘em. But if ye know others are sharper than you, you gotta listen to ‘em sometimes. I KNOW ye like to kill off people. I’ll make sure to leave it to ye if I can. But when I tell ye NOT to kill, I have a good reason to. And ye can assume it trumps ‘I feel like killing.’ So when I say, or the drow or the red wizard says ‘don’t kill.’ At least take the time to stop and see what’s up. You got that?”

Talek nodded.

“Now, take that sword of yers and get yer victim’s head. It’s worth a pretty copper back in Nashkel. Then we’ll go and set up tents somewhere.” Montaron seemed to have vented all his anger.

“Hey Monty… come look.” Xzar had been ignoring the proceedings, investigating the fallen cursed sword instead.

Talek’s face lit up a bit. “Oh yeah, the magic sword!”

Montaron shook his head. “Don’t even think about it boy. That sword is bad news. Ye don’t know if it CAN be removed.”

“Oh it can… I cast my last spell of the day on it.” Xzar said. “A simple spell to remove curses will let you lose it. You go…” he giggled. “Caraaaaazy if you move to attack and you go back to boring when you lose consciousness. Also… it’s filled to the brim… I mean to the hilt with daaaaaaark powers. Using it makes you stronger, no longer feel pain and the sword cuts through almost everything like a necromancer’s investigation knife through the soft, soft flesh of an elven underbelly.”

“Hm, considerable power, if properly channelled it could be most useful. Perhaps extracted out of the sword…” Edwin mused.

“Don’t ye start, wizard. I don’t feel like having people going nuts around me.” Montaron said.

“Oh, oh, oh, Monty…” Xzar said.

“Or nuttier than they are… What?” The halfling asked. “If I don’t get to sleep soon, our next assailant may yet live.”

Xzar looked curious “There’s something strange with the sword. I don’t know who made it… and I don’t know where the power comes from, but there’s a religious symbol on the sword.”

Montaron groaned. “Gods, a divine sword. They always tend to be the most dangerous ones. Lessee, what god decided to play a nice joke on all the funny little mortals this time? If it drives people nuts it’s probably Cyric.”

The four other joined Xzar in their investigation of the sword. Edwin and Montaron’s jaws dropped while Talek frowned in concentration.

Viconia chuckled at their reactions. “What is it? A sign of a god so dark you quake in fear of just his symbol? You disappoint me.”

Edwin kept staring at the sign. “Edwin Odesseiron fears no god, drow. But… my majestic mind utterly fails to comprehend this.”

The bloody sword that was lying in the mud was ugly. On many places, hammer blows were still visible. The dull looking edge looked like it would have trouble cutting bone, let alone steel. All in all, it looked like a sword made by someone that wasn’t used to making swords, and wasn’t trying very hard. The only part that was carefully crafted was a round symbol just where the blade started. It depicted two blood-covered hands, bound by rope.

Montaron shook his head. “Ilmater? Ilmaterites made a sword that causes stuff like this? That doesn’t make any sense. Maybe it’s a trick from some other god.”

Viconia raised her eyebrows. “Who is this ‘Ilmater’?”

“The Crying God’ He and his bunch of fans are all about being sad about how everyone is suffering and trying to prevent that, suffering a whole lot themselves in the process. Bunch of idiots, but if ye’re down on yer luck and starving, ye tend to be happy that they’re around with some bread. Which is why Ilmaterite priests are pretty safe in the slums. Every third cheap thug survived a harsh childhood week because of these idiots. And the other two thirds keep off ‘em, because they know their friends are cheap thugs and would kill ‘em with no problem. After which the Ilmaterites would arrange their funeral.” The halfling sniggered.

Edwin continued. “I wouldn’t know anything about that, my education was of the highest quality and I found no need to enter slums. I do know that their ridiculous precepts hardly allow their priests to kill in self-defence. And their paladins are more likely to offer themselves as a replacement for some air headed maiden than rescuing them, so the dragon doesn’t go hungry either. For them to make a sword is hard to believe. To make a sword that spreads misery is… absurd.”

“I like it.” Talek said. “It looks… I dunno… I just feel like this sword would be PERFECT for me.”

“Well isn’t that a surprise.” Edwin muttered.

Montaron rolled his eyes. “Lad, Ilmater or no, really powerful or no, the sword is cursed, and if ye use it in a battle, ye’re likely to personally kill ALL of us, not just the enemy.”

“Ahw… but it’s so… fun. How about I keep it for emergencies? You know, if all of you are… if all of you are… far away from me and everyone I kill is a bastard anyway. I’ll lose consciousness sooner or later. Sure, I may die, but it’s only when I think I’m dead either way.” Talek suggested.

“Last chance eh?” Montaron looked at the sword. “All right, but listen carefully. I ever see ye coming at me laughing madly like kinslayer here, I’ll put a bolt through yer eye, and no regrets.” He yawned. “So if it means I can get some sleep, by all means, take the stupid sword. Just make SURE ye don’t accidentally grab it.”

Talek nodded. After some searching with Xzar, he found a sheath that went on his back and carefully put the cursed sword inside. They took some distance from the cospses to set up tents. Viconia took first guard while Talek tied cloth around his left hand and went into his tent.

Then, with a carefree, happy, almost innocent smile, he fell asleep in his tent among the dead, with his left hand quickly turning crimson and a decapitated head by his feet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com