About Blood 35: Malarite

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:28 PM

35: Malarite

Evening fell. Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid were in a natural cave. Earlier that day, Minsc had found gnoll’s traces. They had travelled all day at top speed, eating while walking, trying to catch up to the critters. As the sun neared, Minsc had announced that the traces were fresh and had gone scouting ahead. Jaheira had looked slightly annoyed at the fact that the huge ranger was better at walking unseen in a natural environment, but hadn’t made any objections.

Khalid was cleaning his and Minsc’s armour and Jaheira was sitting in the depths of the cave with her eyes closed, praying silently to Silvanus for her spells. Imoen was staring into the evening sky outside.

“Hey, little Imoen.” Minsc appeared in front of her. “Have you been waiting for me?”

“Oh Minsc. You surprised me.” Imoen jumped. “I don’t know how you do it.”

The ranger smiled proudly. “Minsc often walks among trees and sneaking up on squirrels, even back home. Boo loves the expression on their faces.” His face turned serious. “I found the camp of the evil gnolls. They have caught lots of animals. Boo thinks they’ll go and return to their camp tomorrow.”

“That’s good. Don’t worry Minsc. We’ll find her.” Imoen reassured him. She changed the subject to stop him from worrying. “You’ve fought pretty well against those ogres we met on the way. Even Jaheira is impressed with you. You must have trained a lot.”

Minsc nodded. “I always wanted to be a member of the Ice Dragon Berserker Lodge and become a true hero ever since I was a little Minsc… Little compared to now that is.” He laughed. “Me and several friends spend days walking in the wilderness of Rasheman, living of the land and practicing with big swords. Ah… Minsc misses Rasheman. But once his Dejemma is complete, he will return a hero!” He smiled broadly. “What about you little Imoen?”

“Me? Oh, I studied magic for a while…” she began.

Minsc’s eyes grew wide. “What? Little Imoen is a witch? Minsc is sorry! I didn’t know.”

Imoen made a dismissive gesture. “I’m not. I got bored with magic after a few years. When you look at Gorion casting spells, it looks easy, but they never tell you about the long hours you have to spend reading VERY boring books to do so. And I got into magic because I thought it was fun, so I stopped. I still have my old spellbook though. Just never managed to write anything successful in it. I’ve been doing other things.”

“You stopped training as a witch?”Minsc sounded incredulous.

“Yeah! But I got good in other things.” She grinned. “Wait till we’re in the city. Then I’ll be the one sneaking up on YOU!” She poked the ranger in his large chest. “There was a young guy from Baldur’s Gate, Kolan, that came with another man a few years ago. I had just given up on magic and was busy practicing the shortbow. He was a handsome guy.” Imoen blushed. “We... fooled around a bit. He taught me a thing or two about sneaking and opening locks. Even some stuff about traps. It’s one of my only, you know, ‘friends’” She winked at an oblivious Minsc “that Talek never had a fight with. Probably because the Gatewarden distrusted him.”

Minsc nodded. Khalid suddenly appeared behind them. “Good to see you’re back, Minsc. Did you find anything?”

Minsc smiled. “Yes! The gnolls are sleeping the Sleep of Evil that doesn’t know about the Rooster of Goodness will scream its Cuckadoodledoo of Justice once we find Minsc’s witch.” He looked at Khalid. “How did you get on the path of Goodness, fellow goodly swordsman?”

Khalid looked surprised. “M…me? Oh, nothing fancy I’m afraid. I l… left home with my backpack. I d…didn’t have much, but I d…did have a lot of swordfighting classes, so it seemed like the right thing to do. I… I wasn’t sure what else I could do. I found some other people in a tavern and we left.”

“Like Minsc on his Dejemma! You want to go on a great adventure and return as a hero! The larger man said.

“No!” Khalid said. “I just… want to help people a bit, and this seemed like a g…good way. I’m no hero and… I don’t intend to return to Calimshan.” His voice dropped.

“You won’t return home? But your mother and father must surely be proud to have their son be such a butt-kicking force of goodness!” Minsc said.

Khalid looked away. “I… prefer not to talk about my parents if you don’t mind.”

Minsc lowered his head. “Oh… Euh… if Minsc said anything that hurt our butt-kicking friend, he is sorry.”

Khalid smiled at the ranger. “Don’t worry Minsc. I know you meant no ill. My… childhood wasn’t particularly happy. I guess that’s why I feel for Talek a bit.” He sighed. “There were times I wanted to be angry at everyone too. But from what I’ve heard, there’s something more. Odd as it sounds I… feel like Montaron and Xzar aren’t the greatest threat to Talek I think. There’s something wrong with him. If we just knew what it was…” He looked pensive and then noticed Imoen’s worried face.

“I… I… I’m s…sorry. I d…didn’t m…mean to s…scare you. I’m s…sure he’ll be fine.”

“No problem Khalid.” Imoen answered. “But I’m wondering what he’s doing now.”

“I know that I will deeply regret asking this, but do you have even the slightest inkling of an idea of where we are going? (I should have gone with Greywolf. Disrespectful as he was, he seemed at least competent. But then, he got killed by this band of incompetent fools.)” Edwin asked.

“Sure I do!” Talek answered brightly. “We’re going west. Look, the sun is setting there, so the west’s gotta be overthere somewhere.” He pointed vaguely westward. “We’ll find that wichlalalarn or whatever in no time. Or maybe that capitain. We’ll see.”

The conjurer rolled his eyes. “Oh thanks. Your answer has given me a clear view of your skills as a tracker and our chances of successfully accomplishing my supremely important mission.”

“No problem!” Talek grinned.

“Don’t see ye doing anything useful either wizard. But how exactly were ye planning to keep going west now that the sun’s under, Talek?” Montaron asked.

Talek looked as if it was the most stupid question he ever heard. “Simple, we just keep going straight ahead.”

There was a groan from everyone except Xzar, who just chuckled.

“You are extremely fortunate that you are in the company of Edwin Odesseiron to compensate for your irritating incompetence. Of the wide range of subjects I mastered, a minor one is astrology, and it will aid me in pinpointing the west with an accuracy that should astound you simians.”

Talek opened his mouth.

“Studying the stars!” All the others, even Xzar, said at the same time.

“Oh…” Talek said and looked up. “Wow! I didn’t know you could do that!”

Edwin played a bit with his groomed beard. “Well, although I have been admired for far superior reasons by more distinguishing people, it is good to see proper respect for my skills.”

“So how do you see the stars through the clouds, anyway? Some kind of spell?” Talek asked.

Edwin froze and looked up as well. The sky had become clouded in the last hours and not even the shrinking moon was visible, let alone the stars. He looked down to see Viconia and Montaron grinning widely and Talek looking expectantly. He pulled up his nose. “I tire of walking. We will rest here for a few moments. (even the elements conspire against me. One day I’ll have the power to destroy those infuriating clouds)”

“Whatever ye say, wizard.” Montaron said and put down his backpack. “I was getting hungry anyway.”

“Ahw… but I wanted to see.” Talek said and was silent for a second as everyone put down their packs. “Hey, you hear that? Sounds like there’s water nearby. I’m gonna go check.”

“Don’t go too far!” Montaron said. “I really don’t like walking around in this blasted ‘unspoiled wilderness’, let alone go looking for ye if ye get lost.”

“Sure, sure.” Talek said. He vanished and returned less than a minute later. “Yes! A spring! The water looks clean enough! I was hoping for that. You guys get the food ready, I’m gonna do something I should have done in Nashkel.” He reached for his backpack and took out a few tunics. “These things have been stinking up my pack long enough.” He gave the others a look. “Any of you got anything that needs washing?”

There was a short stare as everyone looked rather surprised. Edwin recovered first though and reached for his backpack. “A rare but pleasing surprise to see a commendable interest in proper respect for a wizard of my stature, not to mention the basis of hygiene, especially in these lands.” He took out a few finely made tunics. “Here, and do not tear the fabric. It is authentic Thayvian, of superior quality to anything your uncultured textile peddlers offer.”

Viconia had bought some new clothes in Nashkel, but handed Talek the sweat-soaked tunic she had worn during her flight from the Amnish soldier. “Doesn’t it hurt your pride to do servant’s work, Talek? Or is this some ploy to get your hands on my clothes? I’ve heard things of you and woman’s clothes in that town.”

“T... That was a misunderstanding!” Talek exclaimed. “And I’ve spent plenty of time washing the clothes of every last Watcher in Candlekeep when the Gatewarden had it in for me again, so I’m used to it. You wouldn’t believe how soaked a tunic can get after a day exercising in armour in the middle of the summer.” He looked at one of his tunics. “Ah crap, blood stains. I don’t mind the smell of blood, but when the stains are old, they NEVER get out.”

Xzar nodded. “No, they never, EVER, EVER do.” His voice sounded omnious.

“Guess I’ll have to buy a new one. Hey Xzar, how about you?” Talek asked.

“NO!” Xzar exclaimed. You can’t touch my clothes! Noone can touch my clothes! If they do, the bunnies will catch my scent! And I like the smell of the gravedirt.” He inhaled deeply. “Hm…earthy!”

“I would rather describe it as ‘stinking as a three day old corpse’” Edwin said off-handedly.

“Oh no, silly wizard. Those are my spell components! And they’re MUCH older.”

Talek shrugged. “Your choice. Montaron, you have any spare tunics that need washing?”

Montaron shot him a glare. “No.”

“Maybe you could put one on and I could wash the one you’re wearing now.” Talek said.

“I don’t HAVE spares, don’t need them. I travel light. And this tunic is hardly more than a tenday out of the shop.” He said.

There was another silence. Everyone was staring at Montaron. Xzar giggled and spoke. “Stinky Monty.”

A few minutes later Talek left with all the clothes, leaving a rather grumpy Montaron with a sheet tied around his waist. He crouched down near the small stream and hummed to himself as he started washing the fabric. As he finished the last one, his eyes fell on a deer that was drinking upstream. It seemed to ignore him totally. Talek grinned.

“Hmm… I feel like some fresh meat for diner. Or is that lunch? Whatever. Good thing I left my armour at the camp.” He drew his sword and snuck upstream, tip-toeing towards the animal. He wasn’t even halfway when the deer looked up. Talek froze in mid-step.

“Don’t run, don’t run, don’t run.” He whispered.

The deer ignored the pleas and started to run away. Talek cursed and started to break in a run when a bestial figure leapt out of the bushes and tore the deer down. The animal had the time to release one cry of terror before its throat was torn. Its killer gave a triumphant roar.

“WHOW! What in the nine hells…?” Talek exclaimed. The creature turned to face him. It was a man and a half tall, bipedal, entirely covered in hair and vaguely humanoid, except for the wolflike face with the monstrous jaws. Talek raised his sword. “You want a fight?”

“No! I do not hunt man today.” The figure changed and became less hairy, less muscled and shorter, until Talek was facing a large, feral looking man with a wild black beard. He didn’t look particularly unfriendly though. In fact, he looked rather amused.

“Euh… hello. Good to hear, I guess.” Talek said. He kept his eyes away from the man.

“I must say; if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes, I’d never believe it. Hunting deer with a sword. While ignoring the wind and without taking cover.”

Talek looked at the river. “Hey, I’m not at home in the wilderness.”

“I noticed!” The man laughed. “It helped me getting close though. It’s a bit much for my breakfast though. And it’s been a while since I’ve tasted meat kissed by fire. I’d be willing to share my prey with you and your pack.”

“Sure, sounds good.” Talek said, then grabbed something. “But could I ask you something?”

“What?”

Talek hold out one of his tunics that was spoiled by a bloodstain. “Could you put this on?”

Some time later Talek introduced the werewolf to the party. He introduced himself as Gargan, a cleric of Malar. Viconia glared admiringly at the man’s impressive physique. Even the tunic of Talek, who was pretty strongly built, ripped at the seams. She was also subtly trying to look under the tunic. When she heard the name Malar she glared though, even if the other cleric didn’t seem to mind her being a Sharran. Xzar too gave the man suspicious glares. Edwin seemed mildly disturbed at the figure and Montaron was unfazed. They were grateful for the fresh meat though.

“I’m travelling to a gathering. In a few days, when Selune’s hated eye closes, we hunt.”

“Hunt what?” Talek asked.

The Malarite grinned broadly. “A Xvart village nearby. Small preys, but there are many for each one. The Beastlord will be satisfied.”

Talek chuckled. “Sounds fun, hey Montaron, do you think we could…” Montaron rolled his eyes.

“It’s a Malarite ritual. No outsiders are allowed.” Gargan said. “Of course, you could…”

“NO!” Xzar and Viconia exclaimed at the same time.

“No gods! Gods have to stay away. Boss of beasties don’t like you. Didn’t like the previous one either. They switched games on him!” Xzar said.

“Shar has shown her interest in him, cleric. Keep your claws of him!” Viconia jumped up.

The bearded man raised his hands defensively. “Hide your fangs. I wish no quarrel over believers. Especially with a fellow enemy of the Moon-bitch!” He snarled the last name. “Now. I told you of my hunt, what brings you so far from your usual hunting grounds?”

“If it is any business of you, wildman, we are looking for a woman named Dynaheir. A woman from the lands of Rasheman. One of their accursed Wychlarans!” Edwin said.

“Or some nutty captain of the guard that fled their town after offing his family.” Montaron added.

Gargan looked pensive. “Hm… I haven’t seen the captain, but I remember seeing the woman. You need not worry about her. The hyena-men have taken her to their stronghold. She’ll not see the moon grow again.”

“That is not sufficient. I need to verify her demise with my own eyes. She must die with me watching, preferably by my hand, or a hand steered by me.” Edwin said vehemently.

“Right you are, no way are we letting a bunch of gnolls get away with our kill!” Talek added.

The werewolf laughed. “Ah, it is good to see that the spirit of the Hunt lives on among those weakened by civilisation. I will help you on your way a bit. The Xvart village is on the route. I know where the fleabags will have taken her. I’ve hunted them a few times. But we’d better leave quickly, or you’ll have to look in their stomachs to find any traces of your prey.” He laughed while everyone but Xzar and Talek silently dropped their food on the ground.

“Very well then. We have wasted enough time.” Edwin rose. “We must leave at once! I MUST see to the witch’s demise! (Yes, she has eluded me for too long. This time I HAVE her.)”

“Let’s GO then!” Talek started donning his chainmail. “I can’t wait to try Varscona out again!”

“And I can’t wait for our unimaginable reward you promised, wizard!” Montaron said. “Seems we’ll be collecting something after all. But we’d better be careful. They say that who gets a visit from Tymora, usually gets one from Beshaba afterwards.” He grinned at Edwin. The conjurer was busy packing his half-dry tunics, but seemed to get a bit more nervous anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com