About Blood 34: Enter the Red Wizard

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:19 PM

34: Enter the Red Wizard

The midday sun shone through the tent’s opening and illuminated Talek’s face. He twitched a few times and opened his eyes. He got up and yawned.

“Heh, wakey, wakey. Seems like someone stayed up past his bedtime.” A voice came form the entrance. Karna tied the tent flaps open and gave Talek an amused expression. She was wearing a rather normal robe now.

“Huh? I fell asleep?” Talek looked around confused.

“Well you HAD been getting yourself pretty tired. At least you were nice enough to make sure you didn’t fall asleep on top of me.” The woman yawned as well. “Took a damn long time though. Healthy boy aren’t you? Ate all your veggies every day, I bet.”

Talek blushed slightly. “Euh… I… I mean…”

“Still able to blush eh? It’s all right. I got paid enough for the work.”

Talek looked a little worried as he got up to a sitting position, keeping the now rather stained covers in front of his groin. He looked at the covers. Some of the stains were red. “BLOODY HELL! I euh… didn’t accidentally hurt you or something did I?” There was worry in his voice.

“No, don’t worry about it. Montaron isn’t going to cut your balls off.” Talek’s eyes widened. Karna smiled “He usually says that he’ll do that to ‘bad customers.’ From what I’ve heard, he’s done it on occasions as well.”

Talek nodded. “I know. But… where does the blood come from?” He scratched his hair.

“It IS strange. I didn’t recall any blood when I fell… Shit! Your hand! It’s bleeding!”

Talek looked at the appendage. It was covered in blood, some of it had been smeared on his hair. “What the hell…? This again? But I didn’t even get any dream.” He looked at the woman’s shocked expression and shook his head. “Don’t worry. I’m not wounded or something. It happened to me yesterday as well. I Just get blood on my hand. It’ll wash off.” Talek seemed more surprised than worried.

The prostitute nodded and calmed down. “Ah yeah, I see. A curse probably eh? I’ve seen some nasty cases in my travels. Just startled me a bit though.”

“I’m sorry about that. I would have told you if I knew it’d happen again. I’ve got other things to worry about. Are you sure I didn’t hurt you by the way? I mean. I did see you wince a couple of times.”

“Oh, THAT. That’s normal. But if you want to know, you put your weight on one of my breasts. That stung a bit. But hey, if that’s the worst you had to go through in this job…”

“Okay, don’t put weight on breasts.” Talek said to himself.

Karna chuckled. “If you’re taking notes I could also tell you that, while I appreciate you trying your best not to hurt me, you’re gonna make the girls feel a lot better if you don’t act like they’re gonna shatter in a million pieces if you make one wrong move. We aren’t porcelain, you know. Oh, and generally, don’t grab their head when they’re going on their knees for you.”

“Right… euh... Thanks for the tip.” Talek said.

“No problem. If you ever settle down with a girl, tell her to send me a thank you note or something.” Karna said dryly.

“Oh… sure. I will.” Talek hastily replied.

She rolled her eyes. “I was joking. Anyway, I’m out to see how my shop did while I was away. There’s a barrel with rainwater and a washcloth in the corner, and I’ve put your clothes and weapons next to the bed. Feel free to use them.” She moved to the exit.

“Hey Karna.” Talek called after her. “Thank you. And goodbye.”

“You’re welcome, boy.” The woman gave him a last smile. “And goodbye.” She left.

Talek got out of the bed and washed himself thoroughly, both the hand and the rest, wincing after he smelled the sweat on his body. He dressed, grimacing at the tunic, which had rapidly gathered more sweat under the iron protection, and left. Outside, the area looked a lot different in daylight. There were hardly any people outside, and the waste that had been out of the lantern’s light, so out of sight while it was dark now gave the area a sordid look. Some of the women were outside talking. It had rained while he was asleep, and the ground was muddy. Talek calmly walked across the field, jumping over the puddles. Near the exit two grey-haired hard faced women glared at him with a sour expression. He stared them down and walked past them.

“Hm… have you seen him? Completely shameless.” One of them whispered. It probably wasn’t meant to be heard, but Talek had a lot of practice in making out gossip. He gave a small chuckle.

“What do you expect? Scum attracts more scum. It’s like an insect plague.” The other woman replied. Talek’s grin suddenly vanished. “I don’t know why we even tolerate this kind of filth in our town.”

“Hmpf… All for the love of gold. If I was a man, I’d chase them out at a sword’s point. They seduce our husbands with their disease-ridden bodies and…” Talek’s hand grabbed the woman’s shoulder and forcibly turned her around to face him. She glared angrily, even as the other woman paled and took some distance. “What? How dare you?”

Talek glared down at her. “I think, old cow, that you should shut your bloody hole!”

There was a twitch of fear in the woman’s eyes, but indignation took its place. “Why I’ve never… The nerve! Some Northern barbarian still smelling of orc comes here, rolls around with some trollop like a dog in heat, and then thinks he can command ME, who mothered five children. Why you weren’t smacked enough as a child I bet! I don’t know who’s worse, you or those whores. I…”

The rant was interrupted as Talek’s patience ran out and his right hand, gauntlet still on it, grabbed the woman by the throat and cut off her speech and breath. The other woman fled.

“ONE:” Talek spoke angrily. “I tell you to shut up, you really should SHUT UP!” The woman’s façade of unflappable indignation had broken, and she grabbed at the iron attempting to loosen the grip.

“Two: I don’t smell of orc. I wash regularly! Three: What I did tonight was none of your bloody business. Four:” The grip tightened a bit. The woman kept struggling for air. “You know NOTHING of my childhood, so shut up about it. And five: Who do you THINK is worse? Them or me?” He glared at the woman. She had fainted.

“Congratulations. You have shown yourself to be capable of counting to five and scaring some commoner old bat into fainting. (I’m more impressed with the former than the latter) Now try to manage turning around without falling over. I want to talk to… no, make that I need to talk to you.”

Talek dropped the woman in the mud and turned around. A human man was standing on a clean spot of grass in front of him. He wore bright red mage robes, trimmed with gold at every spot possible. His face, sporting a small, neatly trimmed beard, carried an expression of irritated impatience.

“And who the hell are you?” Talek asked.

“Ah yes, making an introduction with all the charm and decorum of a dwarf with a tooth ache. My name, simian, is Edwin Odesseiron, a name synonymous with excellence and power. (Not that I expect anyone in this backwater region to appreciate the honour that my visit brings to this disgusting hovel.)

Talek blinked twice. “What does sonynymous mean?”

There was a short pause. “Synonymous. It means that a word means the same as another word.” Edwin muttered. Talek frowned in confusion and repeated the explanation to himself, clearly not getting it. The wizard made a disgusted sound. “Never mind. I have not been searching town for you all day yesterday, only to try to instil you with more vocabulary than a drunk orc.” He scowled. “Do you realize how long I have been searching for you? I, Edwin Odesseiron, walking across this pile of wood its dwellers choose to call ‘town’ being forced to actually talk to legions these drooling commoners and their inane banter to find out you were out. Then going for an extremely well deserved rest, and when I wake up I hear you arrived, tried to buy a dress and then slept with one of these cheap prostitutes, so I still was forced to wait. My time is precious, and the hours lost waiting for you are probably worth more than you will ever see in the time you will walk this land. (Extremely aggravating. If I wasn’t a shining example of patience and self-control I might have gotten irritated)”

Talek’s eyes had been going out of focus until the word ‘prostitutes.’ He scowled. “Hey, watch your bloody mouth, or…”

The wizard rolled his eyes. “I am merely stating a fact. Eight gold is cheap, even for a quick and I must say inferior service (Not that I in any kind of monetary difficulty. I have the coffers of the Odesseiron family at my disposal, just not right here) while I was waiting for you to stop snoring and get up.” He sneered. “And stop trying to threaten me. I’m not one of the imbeciles of this village who hide under their beds for some boy with a magical sword when their local priest tells them a scary story about black souls. (What do you expect of a nation that bans magic?) I am a Red Wizard of Thay!” He finished the sentence with an arrogant raising of his chin, somehow looking down his nose at the taller man.

Talek opened his mouth once or twice in surprise as he digested the monologue. Then his face split in a wide grin and he started laughing. The wizard’s eyes widened in insult but Talek quickly calmed down and smiled at him. “Heh, sorry about that. You got me at a bad time. So… you found me. What did you want me for?”

“Ah, I see there might be enough scraps intelligence underneath that mop of hair to see opportunity when it knocks. Listen carefully then, I will explain this in ways that you can understand. I have come to this wilderness in search for a Rasheman woman called Dynaheir and eliminate her. While my power is more than sufficient to defeat her, she may have duped some fools into helping her, and I need some muscle willing to engage in violence.”

Talek grinned. “Heh, sounds good. I don’t see any problems.”

Edwin looked surprised. “What…? Euh… Of course. I am after all an extremely reasonable person.”

“Right. Lett’s go then. I need a shave as well.” Talek felt his chin, which had a bit of fuzz. “By the way. What is ‘Thay’?

The two headed back to the inn. An Amnish soldier, called by the other woman, didn’t press the issue when he saw Talek was accompanied by a mage and was told the woman had merely fainted. They entered the inn where Xzar, Viconia and Montaron were eating a midday breakfast. There was a plate waiting for Talek.

“Hey guys!” He greeted them. “Wow, food. Great. I’m hungry!”

“Took you long enough!” Montaron said.

Viconia grinned. “Did the woman give you a second wind in the morning perhaps?”

Talek gave an embarrassed chuckle. “Euh… nah… I just…”

“No need for details, kid.” Montaron swallowed a bite. “Just tell me, did you enjoy it?”

“Well… yeah…” Talek said. Edwin was standing behind him, tapping his food impatiently.

Montaron nodded. “Good to hear. It cost us 30 gold pieces and some silver. Remember that. When you see some woman and she’s trying to make you want to have a shag with her, heck, even if she isn’t, ten to one there’s a price attached. Always make sure you’re all clear about the price first. And if she doesn’t want to talk about the price, that means it’s too high.” Viconia gave the halfling an amused stare. He took another bite. “Actually, forget the whole ‘women and sex’ thing. ALWAYS check the price. For everything. With everyone.”

Talek looked confused. “So… I should always ask a woman how much I have to pay to have sex with her?”

Viconia choked on her bite and broke out laughing. Montaron brought his hand to his face. “No, you just…. Never mind. Let’s just say for now that when women say ‘Fate had brought us together.’ instead of ‘You want a night of fun for a couple of golders?’ you should run. That ought to keep you safe enough.”

Viconia composed herself. “Did you have to say that halfling? It would have been amusing to see some girl trying to convince Talek they have to get married.”

Montaron took a sip of watered down ale. “I prefer not to have a family after our asses to restore some farmer’s daughter’s ‘honour’” He noticed Edwin, who looked to become slightly red in the face. “Hey Talek, did something follow ye home?”

Xzar, who had been busy cutting an omelette into very little pieces without eating suddenly looked at the wizard. “Ahw… a red puppy. Can we keep him, Monty?”

Edwin sniffed loudly. “I am a powerful wizard and I will thank you to remember that! I am here to offer you a chance crawl out of the recesses you originate from by helping me fulfil my important mission.”

Montaron and Viconia gave Talek a long stare.

Talek smiled at them. “I thought. ‘Hey, I almost got my ass whooped by that Greywolf guy. Montaron’s right about the whole ‘get more stuff and better training’ thing’ and his mission sounds kind of fun. Gotta kill some Dyna-woman.”

“Would you mind not talking so loud!” Montaron hissed. He gave the wizard an investigating look. “Hm, I planned to get the bounty on the old capitain of the garrison. What does he offer?”

Talek blinked. “Offer…? Whoops…” He smacked his forehead. Montaron groaned. Viconia chuckled. Talek turned to Edwin. “Euh… how much money were you planning to offer?”

“Suffice to say it will surpass the very limited capabilities of your modest minds. A great reward indeed, to be shown after completion of the mission. (Yes, that will do.)” the wizard replied.

Talek beamed. “Did you hear that Montaron? Maybe it’ll be an even better sword!”

Viconia’s chuckling became a gale of laughter and she bend over the table, shoving the plate away. Montaron gave her a dirty stare and sighed. “What did I just tell you, boy? Something about prices.”

“Always ask for the price.” Talek thought aloud. “But wait… WE’RE the ones HE is hiring.” He pointed triumphantly at Edwin.

Viconia leaned back in her chair and held her stomach as she started to collapse in hysteric laughter. “Stop! Stop! Please!” Montaron looked desperately in his mug for an answer.

Talek continued. “So that means…” He frowned. “He’s got to marry me? Montaron, can you explain this again? I don’t understand I think.” There was a heavy thud as Viconia’s chair toppled backwards and she fell to the ground, her laughter starting to become inaudible due to lack of air.

“Oh, I LOVE marriages!” Xzar exclaimed.

Edwin bypassed Talek, who stared at Viconia in confusion, and turned to Montaron. “Look. I see I am dealing with simple people of limited capabilities, so I will tell this slowly, that you can understand. I know of the deranged leader of these armed buffoons they call a garrison. He went east, and so has Dynaheir. So both your petty needs and my mission are served. And you will have the privilege of travelling with me and the gratefulness of the Odesseiron family and Thay. Unless you prefer the company of your own like.” Edwin finished with a confident smile as he looked down on the seated halfling.

There was a brief flash of anger in Montaron’s eyes. His small hand clenched the handle of his mug. Then his gaze turned to Talek who was helping Viconia stand up. He turned to Edwin again with a bright smile on his face.

“Why of course! What a good idea, sir! We’ll do that then.”

Xzar looked confused. “Monty, you’re speaking funny.”

Montaron ignored him and continued smiling sweetly at Edwin. The Red Mage looked slightly worried for a second but quickly recovered. “Naturally. It’s my idea. (Another victory of my excellent negotiation skills.)”

“Of course, Talek has to agree. Hey Talek, you do trust Lord Odesseiron here, don’t you?” Montaron asked.

“Lord Odei… oh you mean Edwin. Sure, I trust him!” Talek said.

Viconia looked at the halfling and smiled. “That is wonderful! I look forward to this assignment. I must commend you for your taste, Talek. I am quite sure Shar regards this task with favour.”

“Everyone is going mad!” Xzar gibbered and looked around panicky.

“Don’t worry Xzar. They’re probably just happy, right?” Talek smiled.

“They have a chance to travel with me. I would almost expect some thanking of various gods is in order. And perhaps some lunch.” Edwin said.

“No problem.” Montaron said and motioned for another plate to be brought. He raised his mug. “I toast, to the successful termination of this mission. I’m already looking forward to it.”

“Yes… so do I.” Edwin frowned. Montaron and Viconia were both grinning evilly. Talek had a cheerful smile as he attacked his breakfast. “Good to see that you… display intelligence.” He wiped his brow. It was as if the red robes had suddenly gotten tight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com