Omegas XXXIX: Of Maintenance Tunnels and Hangar Bays

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:18 AM

Notemeal:

1. I know, so "soon" after the last one? (Gasp!) Yeah, well, I -do- have a bit of a buffer, and I've been good. I've been trying real hard to get work on this done... in between BF2 sessions, that is...

(Sigh)

The good news, however, is that I got promoted! WOO!

http://bf2s.com/player/46291829/

:D

2. I've been playing with this thing in BF2, and I'm rather fond of it.

http://world.guns.ru...ult/hk_g36c.jpg

I'm thinking about swapping Falynn over to one of these. She'd lose the underslung grenade launcher of course, which cuts down on her firepower, but seeing as how Minsc is toting one of these, they could probably still get by. :twisted:

http://world.guns.ru...hine/mg17-e.htm

3. Short chapter, relatively speaking, but I think it gets the job done.

4. Lifted a line from Farscape. :) Also, another bit of pseudo-stolen dialogue... see if you can find that one.

5. "Man-hacks" are from Half-Life 2. Annoying little buggers, but thankfully, a good slap with the crowbar is usually enough to take care of 'em.

-----

Jaheira had to angle her neck up so high it hurt, just to see the ceiling of the room she and Falynn were now standing in. It was even larger than the entrance foyer they had found a while back, but unlike that room, which had been mostly empty, this one was practically filled, wall to wall, with all manner of supplies and equipment. In one corner were depressions in the floor that looked like the access covers for a half-dozen sheltered, high-capacity fuel bunkers – each bunker most likely filled to the brim with quality aviation fuel. Over on the other side of the room were tall, metal lockers, probably containing several tons of high-explosive ordnance. Assorted racks of small arms stood alongside – neutron carbines, laser rifles, plasma handguns, shoulder-launched anti-tank missile launchers, and a few boxes of Confed standard-issue fragmentation grenades.

Over alongside the far wall stood machinists tools - everything from simple kick-presses to high-velocity lathes. Diagnostic equipment, presumably for the vehicles that would normally be housed here, was everywhere, loaded onto wheeled carts that could easily be positioned wherever necessary. The monitors themselves blinked occasionally to signify their standby readiness. Finally, in the far corner was a large lift that sloped diagonally down, delving further into the depths of the complex. It was sturdy enough and powerful enough to support the weight of several multi-ton vehicles, and was covered in engine-oil stains, tire tracks, and the like.

“This place is enormous. It looks like some kind of hangar bay.”

Omega One tilted her head in agreement. “Probably is. Hardened fuel-storage cells, heavy-duty weapons lockers… you could cram enough fighters, bombers, fuel and ordnance in this place to take on an entire Dominion task force.” She frowned; suddenly, it was all starting to come together, and she wasn’t too happy about the conclusion it was all leading to. “A wing of strategic bombers in the hangar, and a bunch of eggheads cooking up bioweaps just down the hall. Cozy, little setup they got here. Now if only they had a whole bunch of disguised missile silos sticking out the side of the mountain a few hundred feet up, they’d be all good to go,” she grumbled sarcastically. “They probably stored the fighters and stuff here, then used those lifts over there to transit them through underground tunnels to an exit point some distance away from the mountain. More lag when it comes to actually launching their craft, but makes it more difficult to pinpoint the location of the base itself. Not a bad trade-off, I guess.”

Jaheira was fiddling with her tactical and communications headset. She readjusted the thin, boom-microphone and reseated her earpiece. The small device crackled with static, and her heads-up display flickered briefly, but then cleared up. She began scanning the tactical map, her attentions clearly focused on the here and now as opposed to the long-term implications of Falynn’s theorizing. Superimposed on the map of the complex were symbols of varying shape and color. “Where are Imoen and the rest of the team?” she asked, having a difficult time picking out the blips representing her friends from the other contacts reported by the base’s internal sensors.

“Looks like they ditched the patrols chasing them,” Falynn absently remarked, also doing her best to try and get a good handle on the tactical situation. The fuzzy sensor readouts she was being fed were better than nothing… but not much better considering their lack of clarity. “They must have found a maintenance crawlway; think it opens up all the way over on the other side of the level.”

“That’s a lot of ground to cover.”

“Yeah, I know… and I’m not sure what kind of hostiles we’ve got down here, either.” She shook her head. “We’ll have to link back up with the rest of the team as soon as possible. I don’t like being split off like this.”

Three made an exaggerated flourishing motion with her hand. “Lead the way.”

“Right.”

-----

Two was busy sifting through the tactical information plastered on her HUD. She frowned and scratched the back of her neck as she tried to analyze all the incoming data. “If I’m reading these schematics right, they probably exited through this maintenance hatch. It’s where I’d go if I were being hounded by a bunch of Dominion patrols. Anyway, that would put them all the way over on the other side of this level… probably in one of these giant hangar bays.”

There was some muffled clattering from behind as Nalia finished crawling her way out of the ventilation shaft. She stuck her arm out; Valygar grabbed her wrist and pulled. Once she had her feet back under her, the ensign stood up straight and brushed the dust off her uniform. Some of it got into her nose, causing her to sneeze. She sniffled a couple of times. “How can we get to them?”

Imoen turned towards her and shrugged. “I don’t know. That’s the problem. Standard procedure in places like this is to lock the entire complex down tight in the event of an attack… which is exactly what the base’s personnel did. It’s a bit of a double-edged sword, though. Splits you off from the rest of your reinforcements, prevents you from linking up and mounting an effective strongpoint defense action.”

Valygar nodded in agreement with that assessment, but offered up some further analysis of his own. “But it also means that the Dominion basically has to fight room to room, throwing their resources away for each and every centimeter of ground that stands between them and their objectives. Each individual cell of defenders can’t hold out for very long, but what time they -can- buy helps delay the overall enemy advance.”

Nalia understood where this was going. She frowned. “So with the entire place in lockdown, there’s no way we’re going to be able to take the most direct route between Major Llyr, Lieutenant Marael, and us. Isn’t there any way to circumvent all the security procedures that have been put into place?”

“Not really,” the Lieutenant replied with a shrug. “Wouldn’t be very secure if we could, right?” She scratched the side of her neck as she thought the situation through. We’d need all kinds of stuff to get past that pile of countermeasures. Access codes-”

“Which we don’t have,” Valygar threw in.

“Retinal patterns…”

“Which we can’t fake.”

“Authorization from the Security Officers on duty…”

“Which we’re not going to get…”

Imoen nodded sadly. “Yeah. Which means the only way through this mess will be through side corridors, air ducts, maintenance tubes, that kind of thing. It’ll definitely be slow going, but it’s all we’ve got… and-”

“And, of course, all those routes will be heavily defended,” Spectre commented. His customary frown seemed even moodier than usual.

“Sure. Confed’s not -that- stupid.”

“Well, I’ve got a question: defended by whom?” Nalia asked. “I thought you said there probably weren’t any ConSec personnel left on this level.”

“There probably aren’t, but credits to crullers, this base has some really nasty static defenses set up. It wouldn’t make sense -not- to have them in a place like this.”

Sergeant Corthala gave an affirming nod. “I think that’s a fair assumption, Lieutenant. We’ll most likely have to deal with several layers of defensive emplacements. Automated turrets, laser grids, motion sensors, micro-pressure plates, static-disruptor fields… come to think of it, I wouldn’t be surprised if the maintenance hallways themselves were full of man-hacks.”

Harlequin winced, the term bringing up all manner of unpleasant memories for her. She let out an anxious breath, trying hard, and barely managing, to keep her cool. “Wouldn’t surprise me, either.”

Cipher raised a hand. It was slim and pale with thin, clever fingers, and, surprisingly enough, was still well-manicured. “That doesn’t sound good,” she said, chewing nervously on her lower lip. “What’s a man-hack?”

Imoen turned her head to the side and flicked her answer backwards over her shoulder. “You know those little remote controlled helicopters kids play with? They’re kinda like those…”

Spectre continued on with the explanation after Imoen had trailed off. “Only replace the plastic rotors with ultrite blades capable of slicing through a human sternum.”

Nalia blinked. “Oh.”

Imoen smirked. “Ayup.”

“Guess that means the odds of us getting through there in one piece are… ‘not good’?”

Imoen shrugged, then broke into a wry grin. “Sorta. But then again, ‘not good’ 's pretty much the best odds we ever get.”

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:51 AM

1. I know, so "soon" after the last one? (Gasp!) Yeah, well, I -do- have a bit of a buffer, and I've been good. I've been trying real hard to get work on this done... in between BF2 sessions, that is...

Woo! More Omegas! And suddenly, life is… well, not exactly good, just… more tolerable. :D

Whee! Congrats! I hope that also means a payrise! :twisted:

5. "Man-hacks" are from Half-Life 2. Annoying little buggers, but thankfully, a good slap with the crowbar is usually enough to take care of 'em.

Man-hacks? Hmm, I don’t like the sound of that…

Jaheira had to angle her neck up so high it hurt, just to see the ceiling of the room she and Falynn were now standing in. It was even larger than the entrance foyer they had found a while back, but unlike that room, which had been mostly empty, this one was practically filled, wall to wall, with all manner of supplies and equipment. In one corner were depressions in the floor that looked like the access covers for a half-dozen sheltered, high-capacity fuel bunkers – each bunker most likely filled to the brim with quality aviation fuel. Over on the other side of the room were tall, metal lockers, probably containing several tons of high-explosive ordnance. Assorted racks of small arms stood alongside – neutron carbines, laser rifles, plasma handguns, shoulder-launched anti-tank missile launchers, and a few boxes of Confed standard-issue fragmentation grenades.

Well, that should be enough to kick all the orc butts that have infested this place. :twisted:

She frowned; suddenly, it was all starting to come together, and she wasn’t too happy about the conclusion it was all leading to. “A wing of strategic bombers in the hangar, and a bunch of eggheads cooking up bioweaps just down the hall. Cozy, little setup they got here. Now if only they had a whole bunch of disguised missile silos sticking out the side of the mountain a few hundred feet up, they’d be all good to go,” she grumbled sarcastically.

Yar, cozy little setup indeed, I am just wondering what it all means for you… hmmm.

“Yeah, I know… and I’m not sure what kind of hostiles we’ve got down here, either.” She shook her head. “We’ll have to link back up with the rest of the team as soon as possible. I don’t like being split off like this.”

I guess so, though of course, I am somewhat tempted to add the insertion that all the others do is just to cramp the style of these two foxy ladies… :twisted:

“Not really,” the Lieutenant replied with a shrug. “Wouldn’t be very secure if we could, right?” She scratched the side of her neck as she thought the situation through. We’d need all kinds of stuff to get past that pile of countermeasures. Access codes-”

“Retinal patterns…”

“Which we can’t fake.”

Valygar has such negative thinking… ugh! :twisted:

Well… maybe if you ask really nicely… :shock:

“There probably aren’t, but credits to crullers, this base has some really nasty static defenses set up. It wouldn’t make sense -not- to have them in a place like this.”

Well, that’s not reassuring. I’d rather take orcs, I think.

Imoen turned her head to the side and flicked her answer backwards over her shoulder. “You know those little remote controlled helicopters kids play with? They’re kinda like those…”

Well that sounds cute…

Spectre continued on with the explanation after Imoen had trailed off. “Only replace the plastic rotors with ultrite blades capable of slicing through a human sternum.”

…until that bloody Spectre spoiled the cute image. :)

:shock:

Imoen shrugged, then broke into a wry grin. “Sorta. But then again, ‘not good’ 's pretty much the best odds we ever get.”

And remember, most importantly, you got moxie… and guns! :twisted:

#3 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:24 AM

Notemeal:

tempted to use them in "M0N"...

jan: but what about my slinkies of death?

imoen: urg...don't ask...

jan: memory composite alloys with mono-molecular edges...when they finish walking down to the bottom of a flight of stairs, they uncoil...yards of ultra sharp razorblades springing out everywhere... :)

lynn singing: And those are a few of my favorite things, and then I don't feel, so sad!!!

imoen, removing fingers from ears: lynn, what have i told you about your singing voice? :D

Omega One tilted her head in agreement. “Probably is. Hardened fuel-storage cells, heavy-duty weapons lockers… you could cram enough fighters, bombers, fuel and ordnance in this place to take on an entire Dominion task force.” She frowned; suddenly, it was all starting to come together, and she wasn’t too happy about the conclusion it was all leading to. “A wing of strategic bombers in the hangar, and a bunch of eggheads cooking up bioweaps just down the hall. Cozy, little setup they got here. Now if only they had a whole bunch of disguised missile silos sticking out the side of the mountain a few hundred feet up, they’d be all good to go,” she grumbled sarcastically. “They probably stored the fighters and stuff here, then used those lifts over there to transit them through underground tunnels to an exit point some distance away from the mountain. More lag when it comes to actually launching their craft, but makes it more difficult to pinpoint the location of the base itself. Not a bad trade-off, I guess.”

reminds me of the minoget line...(the fixed fortifications the french built just before ww2)

Jaheira was fiddling with her tactical and communications headset. She readjusted the thin, boom-microphone and reseated her earpiece. The small device crackled with static, and her heads-up display flickered briefly, but then cleared up. She began scanning the tactical map, her attentions clearly focused on the here and now as opposed to the long-term implications of Falynn’s theorizing. Superimposed on the map of the complex were symbols of varying shape and color. “Where are Imoen and the rest of the team?” she asked, having a difficult time picking out the blips representing her friends from the other contacts reported by the base’s internal sensors.

not quite as useful as those sensors in "aliens"... :twisted:

There was some muffled clattering from behind as Nalia finished crawling her way out of the ventilation shaft. She stuck her arm out; Valygar grabbed her wrist and pulled. Once she had her feet back under her, the ensign stood up straight and brushed the dust off her uniform. Some of it got into her nose, causing her to sneeze. She sniffled a couple of times. “How can we get to them?”

val: cipher needs to learn how to suppress certain reflexes...like the sneeze and cough reflexes...at the wrong time, they can give you away...

Valygar nodded in agreement with that assessment, but offered up some further analysis of his own. “But it also means that the Dominion basically has to fight room to room, throwing their resources away for each and every centimeter of ground that stands between them and their objectives. Each individual cell of defenders can’t hold out for very long, but what time they -can- buy helps delay the overall enemy advance.”

well that's why the dominion has a policy of using a lot of personnel to invest fortifications...use enough bodies, and you win...

“Which we can’t fake.”

just need a corpse with intact eyes...

Sergeant Corthala gave an affirming nod. “I think that’s a fair assumption, Lieutenant. We’ll most likely have to deal with several layers of defensive emplacements. Automated turrets, laser grids, motion sensors, micro-pressure plates, static-disruptor fields… come to think of it, I wouldn’t be surprised if the maintenance hallways themselves were full of man-hacks.”

don't forget gas...

Cipher raised a hand. It was slim and pale with thin, clever fingers, and, surprisingly enough, was still well-manicured. “That doesn’t sound good,” she said, chewing nervously on her lower lip. “What’s a man-hack?”

val: this isn't a class, cipher...you don't have to raise your hand... :shock:

hmm...hook them up into a human pheremone sensor, and they can home in on intruder's scent... :twisted:

better than a standup fight...

imoen: why me? why am i always crawling through the ducts?

valygar: well, you are the skinnest one...

imoen: SURE!!! always with the boob jokes....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :shock:

#4 Guest_Maneyan_*

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:06 PM

V-man as Brad Pitt ?.... Why not,

But Immy as George Clooney?... No

And Congrats on your promotion. G36 is the real deal, Long live Heckler & Koch

#5 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:25 PM

Woo! More Omegas! And suddenly, life is… well, not exactly good, just… more tolerable.

Well, that's a good feeling... being someone's single ray of sunshine in an otherwise gloomy day. :twisted:

Whee! Congrats! I hope that also means a payrise!

Actually, no... no, it doesn't... but I do get priority over lower-ranked people if I decide to play as the Commander. And I get a nifty new weapon! Hence my little bit about that HK-G36C... it's so pretty... and I'm usually quite the M4 whore, too.

Man-hacks? Hmm, I don’t like the sound of that…

They're annoying in Half-Life. They move quickly so it's difficult to shoot them down with your handgun, and spraying with your SMG is just a waste of ammo. Best trick is to just lure them down a narrow hallway so they can't dodge much, and then just whip out the crowbar and clock 'em.

One annoying sequence in the game, though, where you're stuck in a room full of man-hacks and exploding barrels. Fire a shot in there and miss, and you are SCREWED.

Well, that should be enough to kick all the orc butts that have infested this place.

If they could carry it all with them... which they can't.

I guess so, though of course, I am somewhat tempted to add the insertion that all the others do is just to cramp the style of these two foxy ladies…

They do have a few good scenes together coming up. Nothing involving nudity, groping, or tongue wrestling, I'm afraid, but I still think they're good scenes.

You kinda need Imoen, though... they're the core three. :twisted:

Well… maybe if you ask really nicely…

Well, ask all you like. The problem isn't that they're being uncooperative, the problem is that they're being dead. :twisted:

…until that bloody Spectre spoiled the cute image.

:twisted: It's Valygar. I still like him, though. :twisted:

And remember, most importantly, you got moxie… and guns!

And in Imoen's and Minsc's cases, bombs, too! :twisted:

#6 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:33 PM

memory composite alloys with mono-molecular edges...when they finish walking down to the bottom of a flight of stairs, they uncoil...yards of ultra sharp razorblades springing out everywhere...

:twisted:

(Chuckles)

Okaaaay.

lynn singing: And those are a few of my favorite things, and then I don't feel, so sad!!!

imoen, removing fingers from ears: lynn, what have i told you about your singing voice?

Ha! You would be quite wrong about that, my friend. Falynn's voice is her voice:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0152839/

She can sing. Quite well. :twisted:

reminds me of the minoget line...(the fixed fortifications the french built just before ww2)

And the ones the Germans just drove around? :twisted: Yeah... uh... yeah. :twisted:

not quite as useful as those sensors in "aliens"...

Uck. You're not much for first-person-shooters, right? So I'm guessing you've never played the Aliens Versus Predator games? Yes, I know, the movies sucked, but the games are pretty damned good. Scare the piss out of you, especially when you're walking around as a Colonial Marine. The game gives you night vision and the motion sensor, and it works just like the one in the movies... problem is, if you have your NV on, the motion sensor cuts out. And vice versa... so you may hear them coming, but it's pitch black, and oh, so scary.

cipher needs to learn how to suppress certain reflexes...like the sneeze and cough reflexes...at the wrong time, they can give you away..

This is true... but she -is- a rookie... and a Fleet-type, too... if you sneeze on the bridge of a cruiser, nobody really cares.

use enough bodies, and you win...

And their one biggest advantage of the Confederation is just that... they've got more bodies. Lots more.

If the Confederation were to only have 1 kill for every 1 of theirs dead, they'd be in deep trouble.

just need a corpse with intact eyes...

Yes, but that's gross. I much prefer the bit in Spaceballs where Lonestar knocks the guy out and then just grabs his hand to key open the handprint scanner. :twisted:

this isn't a class, cipher...you don't have to raise your hand...

But it looks cute. :shock:

valygar: well, you are the skinnest one...

imoen: SURE!!! always with the boob jokes....

C'mon... haven't made one of those in a while... I have an idea for one coming up, but haven't had one in a while. :twisted:

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:35 PM

V-man as Brad Pitt ?.... Why not,

But Immy as George Clooney?... No

There ya go. Glad someone caught it. And no, you're right... I don't really think she could work as Clooney... just... no... :twisted:

G36 is the real deal, Long live Heckler & Koch

It's pretty spiffy in Battlefield 2. I'm having more luck with it than the HK G3A3... which tends to run through its 20 round clip just when I'm getting rushed by a bunch of hostile infantry. And without an underslung grenade launcher to poke at them with, I tend to get real dead, real fast. Oh well.

#8 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:50 PM

I've been trying to write between work and moving into my new place, a much more difficult proposition.

Congratulations Corporal. Good work.

I'm thinking about swapping Falynn over to one of these. She'd lose the underslung grenade launcher of course, which cuts down on her firepower, but seeing as how Minsc is toting one of these, they could probably still get by. ;)

Nice little toy....

3. Short chapter, relatively speaking, but I think it gets the job done.

In feeding the addiction, yes. :twisted:

4. Lifted a line from Farscape. :twisted: Also, another bit of pseudo-stolen dialogue... see if you can find that one.

Done and done.

Lovely...

Minsc: "Ooooh."

Imoen: "Oooh."

Bran: "Stop drooling you two."

Over alongside the far wall stood machinists tools - everything from simple kick-presses to high-velocity lathes. Diagnostic equipment, presumably for the vehicles that would normally be housed here, was everywhere, loaded onto wheeled carts that could easily be positioned wherever necessary. The monitors themselves blinked occasionally to signify their standby readiness. Finally, in the far corner was a large lift that sloped diagonally down, delving further into the depths of the complex. It was sturdy enough and powerful enough to support the weight of several multi-ton vehicles, and was covered in engine-oil stains, tire tracks, and the like.

Ooooh. Machine shop. :twisted:

Either that or the wet dream of every gearhead. :twisted:

Bran: "Considering the nature of the base, probably a fair assumption."

Bran: "That's the problem with damaged sensor systems, they don't give you reliable or accurate data. Sometimes I wonder if sketchy data is better than no data at all."

“Looks like they ditched the patrols chasing them,” Falynn absently remarked, also doing her best to try and get a good handle on the tactical situation. The fuzzy sensor readouts she was being fed were better than nothing… but not much better considering their lack of clarity. “They must have found a maintenance crawlway; think it opens up all the way over on the other side of the level.”

"Welcome to the next level. SEGA!"

Bran: "The longer your force is divided, the easier it will be to defeat it in detail."

Three made an exaggerated flourishing motion with her hand. “Lead the way.”

“Right.”

WHeeee! :twisted:

Two was busy sifting through the tactical information plastered on her HUD. She frowned and scratched the back of her neck as she tried to analyze all the incoming data. “If I’m reading these schematics right, they probably exited through this maintenance hatch. It’s where I’d go if I were being hounded by a bunch of Dominion patrols. Anyway, that would put them all the way over on the other side of this level… probably in one of these giant hangar bays.”

Give Two a cigar!

Bran: "The ensign isn't much of a field operative, is she? Then again, our chief engineer isn't really a ground pounder either, but she's one hell of an engineer."

Nalia: "I'm not useless in combat!"

Bran: "Nals, you shoot better than Aerie, but that's about it."

Nalia: *grumble*

Imoen turned towards her and shrugged. “I don’t know. That’s the problem. Standard procedure in places like this is to lock the entire complex down tight in the event of an attack… which is exactly what the base’s personnel did. It’s a bit of a double-edged sword, though. Splits you off from the rest of your reinforcements, prevents you from linking up and mounting an effective strongpoint defense action.”

Of course, if you're outmanned and outgunned, lockdown is probably your only hope.

Bran: "And buy time for the cavalry to come riding up the enemy rear. Nothing like putting the hammer to the anvil and flattening some baddies."

Nalia understood where this was going. She frowned. “So with the entire place in lockdown, there’s no way we’re going to be able to take the most direct route between Major Llyr, Lieutenant Marael, and us. Isn’t there any way to circumvent all the security procedures that have been put into place?”

Imoen: "Well, sure, but what good would the security be then?"

Imoen: "So cheerful."

“Retinal patterns…”

“Which we can’t fake.”

Imoen: "Well, without an available scan pattern."

Bran: "That's why we love the V Man." :shock:

And nicely done.

Imoen nodded sadly. “Yeah. Which means the only way through this mess will be through side corridors, air ducts, maintenance tubes, that kind of thing. It’ll definitely be slow going, but it’s all we’ve got… and-”

“And, of course, all those routes will be heavily defended,” Spectre commented. His customary frown seemed even moodier than usual.

http://enphilistor.u...om/cliche.htm?2

Check items 57 and 85 on this list. :shock: Of course there will be security there. ;)

Imoen: "At least two to three percent of the time."

“Well, I’ve got a question: defended by whom?” Nalia asked. “I thought you said there probably weren’t any ConSec personnel left on this level.”

Imoen: "Just because the people are dead don't mean the security systems are."

Bran: "I hate security systems."

Don't forget gas packs and the most effective defensive method, compartmentalized ductwork that has only a few (if any access points)

Harlequin winced, the term bringing up all manner of unpleasant memories for her. She let out an anxious breath, trying hard, and barely managing, to keep her cool. “Wouldn’t surprise me, either.”

Fun. ;)

You know, that is cute. ;)

Nalia blinked. “Oh.”

Imoen smirked. “Ayup.”

Bloody lovely. Bloody lovely I say.

“Guess that means the odds of us getting through there in one piece are… ‘not good’?”

Hmm... Nalia as Aeryn and Imoen as Crichton? Neither really works there, but the line fits the situation.

Good stuff Alpha... can't wait to see what happens next.

VH

#9 Weyoun

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:14 PM

Congratulations!

LOL! For a moment there, I thought you got promoted at your job. :twisted:

http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg17-e.htm

Laska : *snorts* Come on, every idiot off the streets can fire one of those gun-things.

Weyoun : Exactly. Welcome to the modern world, Las.

Laska : *blanches* Earth sucks donkey-bollocks... I wanna go back to Toril. :shock:

Is that a head-crap mutant?

See attachment. :twisted:

Heh, they might have uncovered Blofeld's newest secret base. What out for the guy in the black suit, the posh accent and with the many STD's. :twisted:

Through hordes and hordes of enemies? :twisted:

Laska : Sword?!

Weyoun : False alarm.

Laska : *grumbles*

“Retinal patterns…”

“Which we can’t fake.”

You could always borrow a head from somebody. :twisted:

This might make a good Doom 3 level. :shock:

Ah, THOSE! Pesky little buggers. Cut up my whole squad in Half-Life 2 before I noticed what was going on. Sadly, I'm one of those anal people who wants the whole squad arrive alife, so lotsa reloads. The museum level was hell....

Have fun! ;)
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#10 Weyoun

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:17 PM

Dammit, why didn't the attachment show? :twisted:

Oh, well, I'll try again.

Attached Files

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#11 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:06 AM

I've been trying to write between work and moving into my new place, a much more difficult proposition.

Ah. The new marital residence, huh? :lol:

Sounds like fun. :twisted:

Congratulations Corporal. Good work.

Yay! Now I only need like another 125 hours (given my current rate of point accumulation) to make Sergeant. :lol:

Nice little toy....

I think it looks spiffy.

Either that or the wet dream of every gearhead.

Aren't they one in the same?

Nalia: "I'm not useless in combat!"

Bran: "Nals, you shoot better than Aerie, but that's about it."

Nalia: *grumble*

Yeah... pretty much the same with this version. :roll:

Check items 57 and 85 on this list.

I couldn't. The link's broken. :lol:

You know, that is cute.

:twisted: I thought so.

Hmm... Nalia as Aeryn and Imoen as Crichton? Neither really works there, but the line fits the situation.

Well, it was either that or "For once in your life, let -me- cover you!"

"Shooting makes me feel better!"

That might not have worked quite as well. :shock:

#12 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:13 AM

LOL! For a moment there, I thought you got promoted at your job.

Oh, hell, no... :lol:

Laska : *snorts* Come on, every idiot off the streets can fire one of those gun-things.

Weyoun : Exactly. Welcome to the modern world, Las.

Laska : *blanches* Earth sucks donkey-bollocks... I wanna go back to Toril.

Well, they're kinda still on Toril... I mean, it's the Torillian Confederation, after all. :shock:

Raven: "And anyway, spoken like someone who really has no idea what the hell she's talking about. Sure, the basic premise is simple. Pull a trigger, the weapon goes bang. Fine. But doing that properly, and more importantly, effectively, takes a lot more skill and effort than you're implying. Think about it this way. If I were to say, 'Oh, swords are easy. All you have to do is hold it in your hands and move your arms...' I'm sure you'd tell me I'm full of shit. Well, how about you extend me the same courtesy, huh?"

Laska : Sword?!

Weyoun : False alarm.

Laska : *grumbles*

:roll:

You could always borrow a head from somebody.

You mean, like "Nice head! I think I'll take it!" ? :lol:

This might make a good Doom 3 level.

I never bothered with the game. Heard it was a bit overrated. (Shrug)

Ah, THOSE! Pesky little buggers. Cut up my whole squad in Half-Life 2 before I noticed what was going on. Sadly, I'm one of those anal people who wants the whole squad arrive alife, so lotsa reloads. The museum level was hell....

Tell you the truth, I still haven't finished it... I made it to Ravenholme (or whatever that was) before I wiped my system last. I haven't really played it much since the reinstall. I know, I'll need to finish it at some point...

And yeah, I know what you mean about keeping your AI squaddies alive. I was very careful with my Marine backup in Half-Life: OpForce. I even tried to keep the Barneys alive whenever I had one tagging along.

And yeah, the picture's cute. I like. :lol:

#13 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:10 PM

Notemeal:

(Sigh)

Cool!

Promotions are good. :lol:

Now if only they had a whole bunch of disguised missile silos sticking out the side of the mountain a few hundred feet up, they’d be all good to go,”

Annika: *shudder*

“They probably stored the fighters and stuff here, then used those lifts over there to transit them through underground tunnels to an exit point some distance away from the mountain. More lag when it comes to actually launching their craft, but makes it more difficult to pinpoint the location of the base itself. Not a bad trade-off, I guess.”

No, not a bad trade at all.

The fuzzy sensor readouts she was being fed were better than nothing… but not much better considering their lack of clarity. “They must have found a maintenance crawlway; think it opens up all the way over on the other side of the level.”

I wonder if that's just interference from distance and being partially underground, or if they're being jammed . . .

“That’s a lot of ground to cover.”

“Yeah, I know… and I’m not sure what kind of hostiles we’ve got down here, either.”

*wince* That's not good . . .

Ciryon: It's a pain when your ship gets locked down. It means opening doors the hard way.

Ciryon: We tried that . . . it sort of worked . . .

“Not really,” the Lieutenant replied with a shrug. “Wouldn’t be very secure if we could, right?”

Annika: Nope. Frustrating, huh?

Just to make their life fun . . . :roll:

Ciryon: Hate to break it to you, but the term most likely means 'really nasty mechanical traps.'

Hmmm . . . back story, there?

“What’s a man-hack?”

I'm glad she asked that because I don't know. *shrug*

:lol: Eeeep!

. . . wait, now you've given me really nasty ideas for my PnP game . . . :shock:

Heh, now I'm reminded of Rogue Squadron, and their response to the impossible. :lol:

Nice chapter.

#14 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:58 AM

I wonder if that's just interference from distance and being partially underground, or if they're being jammed . . .

Or perhaps a little of both... you never really know... and that's where all the "fun" comes from.

*wince* That's not good . . .

Nope. Not knowing how many gun barrels you could be staring down is never a good thing.

Hmmm . . . back story, there?

Maybe. I don't have anything specific in mind as yet.

I'm glad she asked that because I don't know. *shrug*

Well, to be fair, the only time I've seen it used was in Half-Life 2... which I gather not -too- many folks around here have played.

Eeeep!

. . . wait, now you've given me really nasty ideas for my PnP game . . .

Excellent. I can go to sleep now, content I've done my good deed for the day.

Heh, now I'm reminded of Rogue Squadron, and their response to the impossible.

I like the Rogues. I do. But I'd argue that the Wraiths have more personality. :roll:

#15 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:59 PM

I like the Rogues. I do. But I'd argue that the Wraiths have more personality. ;)

*snicker*

Yeah, that's true.

Though they still can't compete with Wes and Hobbie in the same unit . . . :shock:

But as a unit, the Wraiths did tend to be far more . . . colourful . . . ;)

#16 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:43 AM

Yeah, that's true.

Though they still can't compete with Wes and Hobbie in the same unit . . .

And, of course, you just need Wedge to complete the triumverate. Well, ok... you need Tycho, too... all the more reason why Starfighters of Adumar was probably the best out of the entire series of X-wing novels.

But as a unit, the Wraiths did tend to be far more . . . colourful . . .

Definitely... there weren't all -that- many "colorful" characters in the Rogue novels. Corran was pretty much the only one that stood out... well, Corran, Booster... Mirax... the rest, though... kinda humdrum.

The Wraiths on the other hand, had Ton Phanan, Garik Loran, Myn Donos, Tyria Sarkin, Piggy... etc. etc. Just a far more intriguing cast...

Sorry, Michael Stackpole, but Aaron Allston has you beat. ;)

#17 Laufey

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:01 PM

I had a toy sort of like that as a child. Only not with the sharpened blades. *mournful sigh*. :twisted:

Splitting up is *never* a good idea in a story *or* movie.

In other words...hope your 'Find Traps' skill is up to date. And that it won't be anything like the miserable experience I'm currently having in BG1, trying to use Coran as party thief in Durlag's Tower. He's been burnt, smashed and electrocuted quite a few times already.

Waaaaant!

Oh, and congrats on the promotion. ;)
Rogues do it from behind.

#18 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:11 AM

I had a toy sort of like that as a child. Only not with the sharpened blades. *mournful sigh*

Um... so... you wanted one with the sharp blades? For what? Practicing prime cuts on the neighborhood pets? :twisted:

Splitting up is *never* a good idea in a story *or* movie.

Yep. And it's always the funny one who gets killed first...

Raven: "Well, guess you've got nothing to worry about, then."

Harlequin: "Yeah, well, if -you're- the funny one, you just set yourself up to be eaten/dismembered/decapitated first."

Raven: "You'd think, but I'm also the gorgeous female lead. We tend to survive that stuff."

Harlequin: "Damn it." (Grumbles)

And that it won't be anything like the miserable experience I'm currently having in BG1, trying to use Coran as party thief in Durlag's Tower. He's been burnt, smashed and electrocuted quite a few times already.

Coran annoys me. ;)

#19 Laufey

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:09 PM

I had a toy sort of like that as a child. Only not with the sharpened blades. *mournful sigh*

Um... so... you wanted one with the sharp blades? For what? Practicing prime cuts on the neighborhood pets? :)

I didn't then - but I love the idea of it now. Exotic weapons - yum! :)

And that it won't be anything like the miserable experience I'm currently having in BG1, trying to use Coran as party thief in Durlag's Tower. He's been burnt, smashed and electrocuted quite a few times already.

Coran annoys me. :P

Well, me too. But I like to play a Party Of Pain from time to time. :D
Rogues do it from behind.

#20 Guest_Kendris_*

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:50 AM

It was even larger than the entrance foyer they had found a while back, but unlike that room, which had been mostly empty, this one was practically filled, wall to wall, with all manner of supplies and equipment. In one corner were depressions in the floor that looked like the access covers for a half-dozen sheltered, high-capacity fuel bunkers – each bunker most likely filled to the brim with quality aviation fuel. Over on the other side of the room were tall, metal lockers, probably containing several tons of high-explosive ordnance. Assorted racks of small arms stood alongside – neutron carbines, laser rifles, plasma handguns, shoulder-launched anti-tank missile launchers, and a few boxes of Confed standard-issue fragmentation grenades.

Somebody grab a shopping cart!

Access codes-”

“Retinal patterns…”

“Which we can’t fake.”

Officially a "Sucks To Be Us" day....

Wouldn't be any fun otherwise....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com