Omegas XXXVIII: Moxie... and Guns...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:42 AM

Notemeal:

1. So I've been kinda... stuck... on where to go with this... I mean, I have some idea of where I want to take the whole storyline, but getting there is the hard part. Problem is, I've been using other stuff (like the Gotham Central line) as an excuse to not work on Omega junk... hence the lag time between this chapter and the previous one.

Plus, there's the fact that I'm trying to build a buffer up, and the anal retentive part of me is saying "Don't post a new chapter until you've written one to replace it in the buffer..." :twisted:

2. Then, of course, there's the fact that a lot of my free time is being sucked up by this:

http://bf2s.com/player/46291829/

Oh, it's good. Oh, it's so good. I'm just ashamed that my numbers kinda suck. What can I say, my combat style tends to get me killed. A LOT. :twisted:

3. A few lines stolen from that great show, "The Venture Brothers."

http://www.tv.com/th...enture brothers

-----

“Ding! Second floor, kitchen utensils and appliances. Thank you for shopping S-Mart!”

“Ok, everyone, same drill as before. Fan out, secure the immediate area. Any problems that you can’t handle, fall back to the elevator and signal the rest of us. Keep your sixes clean, people. Let’s get it done.”

-----

“Report in, team.”

“Two, all clear… I’m not seeing much of anything. Doesn’t look like the Dominion made it into these sections of the base. They look pretty untouched.”

“This is Three. Much the same over here. If there were any Confederation research personnel in this section, they must have fled somewhere else. There are no signs of combat that I can see. No carbon scoring or blast marks on the walls. It’s as if everyone simply picked up and left.”

“Omega Six to Omega One. Similar situation over here, Major.”

Falynn frowned as she ran a critical eye over the map of the base’s layout. This was one of the larger levels that had been carved into the mountain stone. It looked to be mostly living quarters and equipment storage – nothing immediately critical to the base’s continued operation – so it shouldn’t have been that much of a surprise that it looked to have been mostly ignored during the initial assault. And yet, Falynn couldn’t shake this feeling she had that something just wasn’t quite… right… about the whole mess. She couldn’t put her finger on it – it was more gut instinct than any rational conclusion, but she’d learned the hard way to listen to her intuition whenever it came calling. “Level’s huge,” she muttered, helping herself organize her thoughts by voicing them out loud. “Suppose I shouldn’t really be worried that we haven’t seen anything just yet, but I’m not liking this.”

She was glad she wasn’t the only one concerned. Apparently, Imoen’s mind was operating on a very similar level. “Join the club, Lynn. It just doesn’t track. They -had- to have come through this level, even if it -is- just dead storage. It wouldn’t make much sense to just take the lift as far down as it could go without securing the rest of the base, first. Leaves you open. No, there’s gotta be something-”

“Wait one…”

“Lynn?”

“Bingo.”

“What’s up?”

“Think I’ve got a lead on something. I’m gonna go check it out. Vix, my tac-display says you’re closest to my position. Back me up?”

“Understood. I’m on my way.”

“Copy. Rest of you, keep searching… and stay covert. We don’t know what the enemy force disposition is like. Until we do, I want everyone to avoid all engagements unless they shoot at you first. Everyone read me? Good.”

-----

Falynn ducked back behind the wall as a fusillade of iron slugs flashed past where her head had been only a moment before. The incoming rounds pinged off the bulkheads, the ricochets sending loud clanging noises singing down the corridors. Falynn grit her teeth together, let a breath out through her nose, and grumbled a question. “Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?” She crouched down and risked poking the barrel of her rifle back into the firing lane, trying to get a decent look at where the hostile fire was coming from. She took a few roughly aimed shots of her own, hoping they would at least slow the enemy down while she and Jaheira pulled out of the immediate area.

Speaking of which, someone was tapping her on the shoulder. She turned and smirked. “See, this is exactly what I was talking about. They know we’re here now, they’re gonna send their Elites after us, and they’ll go all sickhouse on our asses. I like my ass, Jaheira.”

The squad medic rolled her eyes and smiled. She said one word: “Go,” and then brushed past Falynn. Still using the wall as cover, she leaned out just far enough to ripple off a long burst of blue-tinged neutron bolts. Her shots peppered the sides of the hallway, driving the orcs back behind cover, and buying a few precious seconds.

By the time she’d finished firing, Falynn had retreated the handful of meters to the next intersection. The major had taken cover behind the wall and was edging herself out to the side to get a clear shot. “Go!” she called out, and sent a short burst of covering fire scything down the hallway.

Jaheira took to her feet and hugged the side of the hallway as she bolted towards Falynn’s position. She passed Omega 1, who was still filling the corridor with EM radiation in an effort to keep the orcish hordes back, and took up a position in the next intersection, a short distance behind her squad leader. She toggled off another barrage, keeping the Dominion troops pinned down, but not scoring any fatal hits.

“Go!”

It was like a game of reverse-leapfrog, each backwards “leap” allowing the two Confed troopers to make some small, but steady gains in outdistancing their opponents. They finally reached what looked to be a good, defensible, choke point, darted through the door, and sealed it behind them. The blast door was sturdy, and would buy them a little more time if the Dominion tried to burn their way through, but it wouldn’t hold forever.

Falynn made radio contact with the rest of the team. “Raven to all units, we have heavy contact. Fall back to the rally point and regroup.”

Imoen’s voice came back right away. “Negative, One. No can do. Boo’s been tied into what’s left of the internal sensor net, and what she’s seeing ain’t pretty. We’re not sure where they came from, but it looks like a couple of squads of Dominion infantry set themselves up at our evac point. If they’re dug in, it’s doubtful we can get back up to the surface through there.”

Well, gee whiz… I sure didn’t expect that, Falynn groused. “Figures. Where are we, and where are you? Can we at least link back up?”

She could almost hear her little sister wincing over the open comm line. “That idea’s not looking so hot at the moment, either. There’s a whole lot of patrols out there, and they’re definitely looking for us. We’re lucky they haven’t been able to slice the security protocols for the sensor network, otherwise they’d be able to track us the same way we’ve been tracking them.”

More annoyed muttering came through over the transmission.

“So… astound me with your tactical brilliance, Lynn. Got a plan on how to get us out of this mess?”

Raven shrugged, temporarily stymied, but then the corner of her mouth curved slightly upwards into a smug half-smile. “Plans are for mad scientists and bridge builders. I’ve got moxie… and guns.”

Harlequin chuckled and shook her head. “I’m very comforted by that,” she said, her words filled to the brim with wry humor.

“You should be. Don’t worry, Little Sis. I have an idea – an idea so ingenious, my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.”

A laugh. “We’re screwed, aren’t we?”

In spite of herself, and the situation, Falynn broke into a wide grin. “Quite possibly.”

Jaheira groaned, slapped the heel of her hand against her forehead, and swiped it down over her eyes. “We’re on thin ice, here,” she began, dropping into the stern, almost maternal bearing she often assumed when dealing with Falynn and Imoen’s rampant nonsense. “But do we get off the ice? No, instead you jump up and down like a lunatic having a… a conniption fit.” She ended her rant with a sound vaguely reminiscent of a snorting bull about to charge.

Imoen snickered, her years of experience in dealing with annoyed vixens allowing her to completely ignore Jaheira’s growing ire. “Good analogy,” she teased, in essence putting herself at risk of getting conversationally gored through the soft parts.

“Oh, c’mon, Jaheira…” Falynn interjected, only half-heartedly attempting to keep raw violence from being applied as the catch-all solution to this particular problem. “The situation’s not as bad as you’re making it out to be. Besides, stupidity got us into this mess, I’m sure it can get us out.”

“We’re screwed, aren’t we?” a thoroughly disheartened Jaheira muttered.

Falynn grinned again. “Quite possibly.”

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:06 AM

1. So I've been kinda... stuck... on where to go with this... I mean, I have some idea of where I want to take the whole storyline, but getting there is the hard part. Problem is, I've been using other stuff (like the Gotham Central line) as an excuse to not work on Omega junk... hence the lag time between this chapter and the previous one.

Maybe you just need to get over some particular hump and the story will flow from there. Sometimes you gotta push yourself a bit.

Plus, there's the fact that I'm trying to build a buffer up, and the anal retentive part of me is saying "Don't post a new chapter until you've written one to replace it in the buffer..." :cry:

At least you’re not like me, I go with the "Don't post a new chapter until you've written two new ones to build up that buffer..." :P

2. Then, of course, there's the fact that a lot of my free time is being sucked up by this:

Oooooh, boy. ;)

“This is Three. Much the same over here. If there were any Confederation research personnel in this section, they must have fled somewhere else. There are no signs of combat that I can see. No carbon scoring or blast marks on the walls. It’s as if everyone simply picked up and left.”

I don’t like this deceptive tidiness and peacefulness. :)

She was glad she wasn’t the only one concerned. Apparently, Imoen’s mind was operating on a very similar level. “Join the club, Lynn. It just doesn’t track. They -had- to have come through this level, even if it -is- just dead storage. It wouldn’t make much sense to just take the lift as far down as it could go without securing the rest of the base, first. Leaves you open. No, there’s gotta be something-”

Yeah, I don’t think the Dominion is that dumb to leave parts of the base unsecured.

Falynn ducked back behind the wall as a fusillade of iron slugs flashed past where her head had been only a moment before. The incoming rounds pinged off the bulkheads, the ricochets sending loud clanging noises singing down the corridors. Falynn grit her teeth together, let a breath out through her nose, and grumbled a question. “Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?” She crouched down and risked poking the barrel of her rifle back into the firing lane, trying to get a decent look at where the hostile fire was coming from. She took a few roughly aimed shots of her own, hoping they would at least slow the enemy down while she and Jaheira pulled out of the immediate area.

Seems like they did indeed find something… :twisted:

Speaking of which, someone was tapping her on the shoulder. She turned and smirked. “See, this is exactly what I was talking about. They know we’re here now, they’re gonna send their Elites after us, and they’ll go all sickhouse on our asses. I like my ass, Jaheira.”

I like her ass too. :) And Vixen’s. :twisted:

It was like a game of reverse-leapfrog, each backwards “leap” allowing the two Confed troopers to make some small, but steady gains in outdistancing their opponents. They finally reached what looked to be a good, defensible, choke point, darted through the door, and sealed it behind them. The blast door was sturdy, and would buy them a little more time if the Dominion tried to burn their way through, but it wouldn’t hold forever.

Seems like the best thing to do would be to gather the forces together… the two of them probably won’t last against the orcish horde.

Imoen’s voice came back right away. “Negative, One. No can do. Boo’s been tied into what’s left of the internal sensor net, and what she’s seeing ain’t pretty. We’re not sure where they came from, but it looks like a couple of squads of Dominion infantry set themselves up at our evac point. If they’re dug in, it’s doubtful we can get back up to the surface through there.”

Umm, that’s crappy. Still, they gotta make sure to stay together now.

She could almost hear her little sister wincing over the open comm line. “That idea’s not looking so hot at the moment, either. There’s a whole lot of patrols out there, and they’re definitely looking for us. We’re lucky they haven’t been able to slice the security protocols for the sensor network, otherwise they’d be able to track us the same way we’ve been tracking them.”

Eeeep. Still probably have to take their chances of fighting through to link up.

Raven shrugged, temporarily stymied, but then the corner of her mouth curved slightly upwards into a smug half-smile. “Plans are for mad scientists and bridge builders. I’ve got moxie… and guns.”

Should be enough! :twisted: :twisted:

In spite of herself, and the situation, Falynn broke into a wide grin. “Quite possibly.”

I’m sure they’ve been in tighter spots than this! :P

Jaheira groaned, slapped the heel of her hand against her forehead, and swiped it down over her eyes. “We’re on thin ice, here,”

Heh heh. :wink: Very niiiiiiice! :wink:

Imoen snickered, her years of experience in dealing with annoyed vixens allowing her to completely ignore Jaheira’s growing ire. “Good analogy,” she teased, in essence putting herself at risk of getting conversationally gored through the soft parts.

Yeah, that’s Imoen… highly resistant to vixen rants… :)

All you need is a good plan… oh wait… they’re screwed, aren’t they? ;)

#3 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:24 PM

Maybe you just need to get over some particular hump and the story will flow from there. Sometimes you gotta push yourself a bit.

I've been trying, but part of the problem is that while I have a vague notion of where this needs to go, a lot of the details just haven't been worked out yet. I can't really explain without spoiling everything, unfortunately. UU has some idea of what I'm talking about, though. But if he talks, I'll smack him. :twisted:

At least you’re not like me, I go with the "Don't post a new chapter until you've written two new ones to build up that buffer..."

Maybe, except from what we've seen, you've never really had a significant block to speak of. :wink:

I'm so jealous. (Double :roll: )

Oooooh, boy.

Hey, I thought you said you loved statistics. :)

Anyway, yeah, I know. Tell you the truth, I'd never really planned to get into BF2. I'd never played any of the other games in the series, but I got pretty solidly hooked on this one. Only reason I'm not even more addicted to the crazy thing is that I, more often than I would like, get my ass handed to me.

I don’t like this deceptive tidiness and peacefulness.

Totally one of those "It's quiet... too quiet..." deals.

Yeah, I don’t think the Dominion is that dumb to leave parts of the base unsecured.

Maybe, maybe not. Bear in mind that their force, while sizable, still isn't big enough that they can leave security elements in place in every corner of the base. This place is enormous.

Or gi-normous, if you prefer. ;)

I like her ass too.

:twisted:

Yeah, I may have to start making more butt jokes in this series... the "flat chest" jokes might be starting to wear a little thin. :P

And Vixen’s.

Sure, sure... we all knew you would say that... :roll:

Of course, given that Falynn's human and Jaheira's half-elven, I get the impression that Falynn's would be a little more... uh... shapely...

Harlequin: (Snickers) "More cushion for the pushin'?"

Raven: ;) "Ewwwwww... Please stop talking like that..."

Harlequin: :twisted:

Seems like the best thing to do would be to gather the forces together… the two of them probably won’t last against the orcish horde.

But the fun is seeing in how long they can hold out! :cry:

Should be enough!

Heh heh... I love that line. (The "Mad scientists" one) It's from here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0442688/

And who voices that line? That's right...

Jennifer Hale .... Jennifer Mui

You gotta love it. :wink:

I’m sure they’ve been in tighter spots than this!

Sure, but they usually had someone more competent than Falynn to rely on. :) :P

Raven: "Hey! What are you implying?!"

Heh heh. Very niiiiiiice!

Sorry to break it to you, but that's -not- actually a reference to your series. It's actually a direct quotation from that show I mentioned in the Notemeal: The Venture Brothers... that line's been sitting in that spot for some time now... even before you started posting your thingie. :twisted:

Yeah, that’s Imoen… highly resistant to vixen rants…

Probably like 95% resistance, yeah... wonder if they have magical items that can duplicate that effect... that might be a good thing to have.

All you need is a good plan… oh wait… they’re screwed, aren’t they?

:) Quite possibly. :wink:

#4 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:54 PM

No worries. As long as you're writing something, it's all good.

Plus, there's the fact that I'm trying to build a buffer up, and the anal retentive part of me is saying "Don't post a new chapter until you've written one to replace it in the buffer..." :P

Buffer? I tried that, abandoned it pretty quick . . .*shrug*

Oh, it's good. Oh, it's so good. I'm just ashamed that my numbers kinda suck. What can I say, my combat style tends to get me killed. A LOT. :twisted:

;) Looks fun . . .

“Two, all clear… I’m not seeing much of anything. Doesn’t look like the Dominion made it into these sections of the base. They look pretty untouched.”

Wanna bet?

That's not right. It makes no sense . . . :cry:

See! I said so! Hah!

Falynn ducked back behind the wall as a fusillade of iron slugs flashed past where her head had been only a moment before.

And this, kids, is why you should never go exploring on your own . . . :twisted:

“Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?”

Because.

They know we’re here now, they’re gonna send their Elites after us, and they’ll go all sickhouse on our asses. I like my ass, Jaheira.”

*snicker*

She toggled off another barrage, keeping the Dominion troops pinned down, but not scoring any fatal hits.

No, but it is keeping them pinned down . . .

We’re not sure where they came from, but it looks like a couple of squads of Dominion infantry set themselves up at our evac point. If they’re dug in, it’s doubtful we can get back up to the surface through there.”

Uh oh . . .

Annika: In other words, you don't have a plan.

“You should be. Don’t worry, Little Sis. I have an idea – an idea so ingenious, my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.”

Annika: Yep, not a clue. No plan in that head, huh?

You think? ;) :twisted:

“We’re on thin ice, here,” she began, dropping into the stern, almost maternal bearing she often assumed when dealing with Falynn and Imoen’s rampant nonsense. “But do we get off the ice? No, instead you jump up and down like a lunatic having a… a conniption fit.”

:) That's Jaheira for you.

Besides, stupidity got us into this mess, I’m sure it can get us out.”

Annika: That's the sprit!

:) :) :P :twisted:

Nice. Loved the ending. :wink:

#5 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:47 PM

Been there, done that have the T shirt and the commemorative plates. There was a point in the Ody where I knew what was going on but had no idea how to get there. Was a bear to get through it. But, I have faith in thee, JansenMonkey. You will succeed. ;)

Plus, there's the fact that I'm trying to build a buffer up, and the anal retentive part of me is saying "Don't post a new chapter until you've written one to replace it in the buffer..." :P

:twisted: Buffers are for the weak. I write em and fire em off. Because if I did anything else, well, you'd all get even older and greyer waiting for a new Ody chapter. ;)

Of this, I am not surprised, LC JansenMonkey. :)

“Ding! Second floor, kitchen utensils and appliances. Thank you for shopping S-Mart!”

You can find this in the sporting goods section. Shop smart, shop S Mart! YOU GOT THAT!

“Report in, team.”

Cipher: "It's horrible! The humanity of it! The Starbucks is completely out of coffee! It's terrible!"

I don't know why I wrote that, but I did. So, deal.

Or they did and they're all hiding around waiting for you to get completely out of position and then tear you to shreds.

Or I could just be being pessimistic. :)

Party was elsewhere. :)

Falynn frowned as she ran a critical eye over the map of the base’s layout. This was one of the larger levels that had been carved into the mountain stone. It looked to be mostly living quarters and equipment storage – nothing immediately critical to the base’s continued operation – so it shouldn’t have been that much of a surprise that it looked to have been mostly ignored during the initial assault. And yet, Falynn couldn’t shake this feeling she had that something just wasn’t quite… right… about the whole mess. She couldn’t put her finger on it – it was more gut instinct than any rational conclusion, but she’d learned the hard way to listen to her intuition whenever it came calling. “Level’s huge,” she muttered, helping herself organize her thoughts by voicing them out loud. “Suppose I shouldn’t really be worried that we haven’t seen anything just yet, but I’m not liking this.”

Lynn's been looking at the script again, hasn't she?

Bran: "Or she's looking at wandering into enemy held territory unopposed and her danger sense is giving her a migrane."

Imoen: "Backing her up?"

Bran: "In this case yes?"

Imoen: "I should have known you'd have her back, especially after you saw those shower pics Harly sent you."

Bran: "Not everything revolves around the libido, kiddo."

Imoen: :cry: "You're not my brother! What have you done with him!"

Unless you are dealing with Goofy the Wonderslug as the Orc commander.

“Wait one…”

“Lynn?”

“Bingo.”

“What’s up?”

Trouble. With a capital T. :P

“Think I’ve got a lead on something. I’m gonna go check it out. Vix, my tac-display says you’re closest to my position. Back me up?”

“Understood. I’m on my way.”

“Copy. Rest of you, keep searching… and stay covert. We don’t know what the enemy force disposition is like. Until we do, I want everyone to avoid all engagements unless they shoot at you first. Everyone read me? Good.”

Bran: "Raven, keeping your recon team so split really cuts down on your ability to support yourself. Especially if they are continuing to disperse. Then again, what is life without risk."

Jaheira: "A lot longer."

Bran: "Because Jackassery has a contract with Mr. Murphy. They travel as a team to make life more interesting. And it looks like it is time to deass the area."

Valygar: "An important manuever considering the asses involved."

Bran: "True."

Valygar: "A unit losing its medic and CO would be in a bad position."

Bran: "Very much so."

Valygar: "And the loss of such asses would be a great blow to the war effort for the Confederation."

Bran: "Definitely."

Imoen: "Does anyone else think that conversation was weird?"

Imoen: "Considered how far and wide those pictures have gone, I'd say at least 20% of the male population of the Confederacy and at least one Drow medic would concur. Oh, and my brother and his navigator."

Bran: "Yes, it's a nice ass. But I prefer Jaheira's. There is less of the weirdness of us being somehow being the same person in different universes vibe thing going on."

Liked your description of two person covered fire withdrawal. Nicely done sir. :twisted:

Falynn made radio contact with the rest of the team. “Raven to all units, we have heavy contact. Fall back to the rally point and regroup.”

Cipher: "But.. but I just got the espresso machine working again!"

*shakes head* Once again... complete nonsequetor. *shrug*

Lovely. Where the hell did they come from?

Bran: "Mr. Murphy brought friends. Lovely."

Well, gee whiz… I sure didn’t expect that, Falynn groused. “Figures. Where are we, and where are you? Can we at least link back up?”

So they're cut off and the rest of the team is running the E&E drill with annoyed Dominon troopers playing opforce.

Bran: "There are times I think being beseiged by zombies isn't all that bad."

“So… astound me with your tactical brilliance, Lynn. Got a plan on how to get us out of this mess?”

Bran: "Ah, the standard Mark 1 Mod 0 shoot-everything-that-moves-and-hope-you-don't-run-out-of-ammo plan? We call that the Minsc special. It even works sometimes."

Harlequin chuckled and shook her head. “I’m very comforted by that,” she said, her words filled to the brim with wry humor.

Bwahahahaha.

Imoen: "Of course, it could just be limited cranial capacity. An idea could then cause severe and catastrophic overpressure."

Bran: "Well, that would be the expert analysis of the current tactical situation."

At least she's having fun. :twisted:

Jaheira groaned, slapped the heel of her hand against her forehead, and swiped it down over her eyes. “We’re on thin ice, here,” she began, dropping into the stern, almost maternal bearing she often assumed when dealing with Falynn and Imoen’s rampant nonsense. “But do we get off the ice? No, instead you jump up and down like a lunatic having a… a conniption fit.” She ended her rant with a sound vaguely reminiscent of a snorting bull about to charge.

Bwahahaha!

Bran: "Ooh. A classic Jaheira rant. Rates an 8.4 on the 'Gonna Rip Your Head Off scale. Good work!"

Imoen: "Don't forget trampled. Definitely a possiblity as well."

“Oh, c’mon, Jaheira…” Falynn interjected, only half-heartedly attempting to keep raw violence from being applied as the catch-all solution to this particular problem. “The situation’s not as bad as you’re making it out to be. Besides, stupidity got us into this mess, I’m sure it can get us out.”

Bran: "The power of stupidity shall set you free?"

Imoen: "Well, the politicians seem to think so."

Both: "They're screwed."

Great ending. :twisted:

Well, you've left us a nasty little cliffhanger. You better deliver the goods soon or we're going to have to send a raiding party to empty that buffer for you. And you know, that is what a buffer is for. Just so you know.

VH

#6 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:35 PM

Buffer? I tried that, abandoned it pretty quick . . .*shrug*

Having/building a buffer is, sometimes, the only way I can force myself to work on this stuff. I mean, most of the time it's fun, but sometimes it actually feels like work, and I have to make myself do that work. (Shrug)

Looks fun . . .

I'm addicted to video games. I've known this for years. :)

I mean, geez... over the course of like five weeks, I've logged like 90 hours of time... that's... that's pretty excessive. :P

Wanna bet?

No. I don't like throwing away money. :)

See! I said so! Hah!

Well, duhhhhhh. ;)

And this, kids, is why you should never go exploring on your own . . .

Yeah, well, there are only like two adults in the bunch, so their options were limited. You make do with what you've got...

*snicker*

What can I say? She's got a likable ass. :cry:

Annika: In other words, you don't have a plan.

Raven: "You say that like it's a bad thing."

That's Jaheira for you.

I think the phrase "conniption fit" really makes that line. ;)

Annika: That's the sprit!

Hell, yes. :)

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:50 PM

But, I have faith in thee, JansenMonkey. You will succeed.

Let's hope so. This could prove to be very upsetting if I get myself stuck and can't get out of it.

Buffers are for the weak.

What can I say? I'm a wuss.

Of this, I am not surprised, LC JansenMonkey.

All right, all right... enough with the "Jansen-ing." Yeesh. And yeah, thousand or so more points, and I make Corporal... but then I need like another TEN thousand to make Sergeant. Huh. I may be hooked on this game, but I can't see myself playing it -that- much.

I think when I get my next promotion, though, I'll unlock the L-85 rifle which is the alternate weapon medics can use. Either that or the SpecOps G-36C... decisions, decisions...

You can find this in the sporting goods section. Shop smart, shop S Mart! YOU GOT THAT!

;)

Cipher: "It's horrible! The humanity of it! The Starbucks is completely out of coffee! It's terrible!"

If anyone in the unit would be a coffee achiever, it would have to be her, without a doubt.

Or I could just be being pessimistic.

Pessimism, pragamatism, realism... all three words for the same thing, right? :cry:

Bran: "Or she's looking at wandering into enemy held territory unopposed and her danger sense is giving her a migrane."

Just as long as she doesn't get migraines from eating chocolate... or MSG... or strawberries... or... well... tons of other stuff... (My Mom gets migraines from just about everything. :) )

Imoen: "I should have known you'd have her back, especially after you saw those shower pics Harly sent you."

What I want to know is who decided it would be funny to declare that Harlequin's been sending naked pictures of her sister to everyone. Because I'm pretty sure -you- started that running gag... and I never really knew why. :twisted:

Harlequin: "And boooooring!"

Bran: "Because Jackassery has a contract with Mr. Murphy. They travel as a team to make life more interesting. And it looks like it is time to deass the area."

Valygar: "An important manuever considering the asses involved."

Bran: "True."

Valygar: "A unit losing its medic and CO would be in a bad position."

Bran: "Very much so."

Valygar: "And the loss of such asses would be a great blow to the war effort for the Confederation."

Bran: "Definitely."

Harlequin: (Raises hand)

Imoen: "Considered how far and wide those pictures have gone, I'd say at least 20% of the male population of the Confederacy and at least one Drow medic would concur. Oh, and my brother and his navigator."

Raven: "Viconia has copies?"

Harlequin: "I swear, that was accidental... you know I'd never do that to you on purpose..."

Raven: "Oh, geez... I can never go to Sickbay again... two seconds after I got there, my ass would be feeling like a pincushion..."

Harlequin: "I'm sorry. I swear, I didn't plan it that way."

Raven: "You've gotta stop this... why can't you... I don't know, finding naked pictures of Nalia or something?"

Cipher: "Hey! Don't drag me into this!"

Bran: "Yes, it's a nice ass. But I prefer Jaheira's. There is less of the weirdness of us being somehow being the same person in different universes vibe thing going on."

Raven: :P "Valid point."

Enara: "Boy howdy, yes."

Liked your description of two person covered fire withdrawal. Nicely done sir.

;)

Cipher: "But.. but I just got the espresso machine working again!"

*shakes head* Once again... complete nonsequetor. *shrug*

Are you kidding? Practically everything I say is a nonsequitur.

Except that.

And that.

And that.

Andthatandthatandthat.

And that.

:)

Bran: "Ah, the standard Mark 1 Mod 0 shoot-everything-that-moves-and-hope-you-don't-run-out-of-ammo plan? We call that the Minsc special. It even works sometimes."

Castle: "Special delivery! Ammunition pizza!"

Bran: "Ooh. A classic Jaheira rant. Rates an 8.4 on the 'Gonna Rip Your Head Off scale. Good work!"

I'm telling you, it's the "conniption fit" part that makes that sequence. :P

Well, you've left us a nasty little cliffhanger. You better deliver the goods soon or we're going to have to send a raiding party to empty that buffer for you. And you know, that is what a buffer is for. Just so you know.

I know, but until I get past that block I was whining about earlier, I really don't want to get too far into what's to come... I want that hashed out so I don't end up having to "retcon" stuff. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retcon (Just in case you're not familiar with the term)

#8 Guest_Joe_*

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:22 AM

Oh, Monarch. Never change :cry:

"I'm not even taking a whiz on this. I used to dream of taking of taking a whiz on this!"

#9 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:36 AM

If anyone in the unit would be a coffee achiever, it would have to be her, without a doubt.

Why do I have a bad feeling about Ody continuity changes....

Just as long as she doesn't get migraines from eating chocolate... or MSG... or strawberries... or... well... tons of other stuff... (My Mom gets migraines from just about everything. :P )

That sucks. But I need to go eat some strawberries.... mmm.. strawberries.

What I want to know is who decided it would be funny to declare that Harlequin's been sending naked pictures of her sister to everyone. Because I'm pretty sure -you- started that running gag... and I never really knew why. ;)

It's a good question, one lost to the mists of time I think. But, hey, if it's funny, why stop? ;)

Harlequin: "And boooooring!"

Harlequin: (Raises hand)

Imoen: "Very weird."

Raven: "Viconia has copies?"

Harlequin: "I swear, that was accidental... you know I'd never do that to you on purpose..."

Raven: "Oh, geez... I can never go to Sickbay again... two seconds after I got there, my ass would be feeling like a pincushion..."

Harlequin: "I'm sorry. I swear, I didn't plan it that way."

Raven: "You've gotta stop this... why can't you... I don't know, finding naked pictures of Nalia or something?"

Cipher: "Hey! Don't drag me into this!"

Imoen: "Hey Harly, you want some? I mean your Cipher and my Nalia look the same. Well, I assume they do. At least close. And I'm sure that Eddie guy could fix up any discrepancies."

Nalia: "What? How? Hell no. Nuh uh. Not unless you've learned to breathe vacuum."

Raven: :cry: "Valid point."

Enara: "Boy howdy, yes."

Viga: "One of the weirder things... the very weirder things."

#10 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:32 AM

Notemeal:

yeah, i know...but i still like the alien bit i first suggested.. :cry:

its an occupational hazard, plotting yourself into a corner...

Plus, there's the fact that I'm trying to build a buffer up, and the anal retentive part of me is saying "Don't post a new chapter until you've written one to replace it in the buffer..." :roll:

nah, don't bother...we all know theo is a mutant, so you can't compete...being a jansenmonkey after all... ;)

Oh, it's good. Oh, it's so good. I'm just ashamed that my numbers kinda suck. What can I say, my combat style tends to get me killed. A LOT. :?

harlequin: aha!!! so that's where lynn learned her style!!! from our esteemed bard...

lynn: :roll: :roll: :roll: kissing up to our demented author again?

imoen: yep! i keep hoping he'll import some of UU's jansen built weapons here...they're cool... :P

lynn: imoen, repeat that sentence to yourself, and you'll notice the fallacy...

imoen: I keep hoping he'll import some jansen built weapons...OMG!!! lynn, what did i just say??? :) :P :twisted:

jan: right here, your worship!

imoen and lynn: WE ARE SO DOOMED!!! ;)

i keep wondering why imoen didn't have a folding vibrablade installed in her left hand... ;)

trust your instincts...they're usually right the first time, until our brains catchup and drown it in second guessing yourself..

boobie traps?

doesn't the army's newest weapon system have a camera built into the optical sight, so you can just raise the weapon from cover and shoot accurately without moving your body?

lynn: I want one!!!

former fbi agent valygar: well, you know, as well as those pics of the "Girls of Omega" spread sold on e-bay, I got you beat...I got pics of Jessie and Nalia and a bucket of massage oil...

nalia: DIE!!! DIE!!! DIE!!!

*valygar shrieks like a little girl and runs away*

its the classic "Advance in a Retrograde Motion" maneuver... :roll:

you're screwed...losing your line of retreat is bad, bad mojo...

and explosives... :)

:cry: :cry: :cry:

jessie: wanna borrow my stealthsuit?

imoen gorionova:HEY!!! we're still making payments on that!!

jessie: urm... :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

*jessie pulls out a red cape* :)

imoen gorionova: yep, she follows the "two idiots make one genius" school of thought...

nalia: two idiots make one genius??? :twisted:

imoen: yeah, two negatives in symbolic logic make...

nalia: a positive... :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol: ;)

imoen: i betcha right now they really wish one of them was telepathic...

jessie: don't rub it in sis...it sounds like they got enough trouble...

probably...

well, if you want to bounce more ideas, just pm me... :wink: :wink: :roll:

#11 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:37 PM

Oh, Monarch. Never change

:cry:

"I'm not even taking a whiz on this. I used to dream of taking of taking a whiz on this!"

I like that one... but one of my favorites has got to be:

"It's on!"

"It's off!"

"It's on!"

"It's off!"

"It's on!"

"It's off!"

"That's called 'blinking', boys..." :P

#12 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:40 PM

Why do I have a bad feeling about Ody continuity changes...

Thinking of making your Nalia into one? C'mon, you know it'd work... she's an engineer... her level of job stress -requires- a caffeine dependency.

Just be grateful she hasn't developed other kinds of chemical dependency.

It's a good question, one lost to the mists of time I think. But, hey, if it's funny, why stop?

'cause I'm starting to wonder if it's not just plain creepy to have nude or semi-nude pictures of her all over the multiverse! :P

I mean, we're talking people who don't even -exist- in her continuity, somehow having pictures of the girl's bum! Doesn't that weird you out?! :cry:

I mean your Cipher and my Nalia look the same. Well, I assume they do.

Do they? I figure mine keeps her hair slightly longer than the game version, does... (despite military regs) and she'd be wearing a Fleet blue uniform... (Shrug)

#13 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:08 PM

yeah, i know...but i still like the alien bit i first suggested..

I'm sure you do. But I explained my thoughts on that idea. :D :lol:

its an occupational hazard, plotting yourself into a corner...

I know... which is why I'm scared. Aside from a couple of RPG characters that I played on a BB-based SWRPG for about seven years, I've never really written anything like this before. I tended to keep stuff a lot shorter and rarely stuck with a certain setting for very long.

nah, don't bother...we all know theo is a mutant, so you can't compete...being a jansenmonkey after all...

Wouldn't that be some kind of mutant, too?

Ok, ok... can we quit the Jansen thing? No, really. :D

harlequin: aha!!! so that's where lynn learned her style!!! from our esteemed bard...

Well, to be fair, given that I played tons of Quake and tons of UT-2004 and similar games, I've definitely developed a deathmatch mentality. For the most part, it's worked, though. While my style of FPS play gets me murdered in games like BF2 or Counterstrike, it was golden at Action Quake. I was a god at that game. Really. That's not idle bragging. :D

imoen and lynn: WE ARE SO DOOMED!!!

Yeah, while I'm not as "skilled" at the hard science as you are, I'm still enough of a stickler for that stuff to bring in something clearly impossible like a Jansen-brand invention.

i keep wondering why imoen didn't have a folding vibrablade installed in her left hand...

Well, it wasn't supposed to be some kind of cybernetic improvement, just a prosthetic replacement for her original one. :D

trust your instincts...they're usually right the first time, until our brains catchup and drown it in second guessing yourself..

I know... which is why I'm actually rather pleased with these sections I came up with for another Batman-themed thing. (Don't worry, I got those things down, but I'm leaving it on the back burner for a while until I got some other stuff cleared. Seriously. That's the plan, and I don't intend to go back on it. :( )

doesn't the army's newest weapon system have a camera built into the optical sight, so you can just raise the weapon from cover and shoot accurately without moving your body?

lynn: I want one!!!

Yep. But M-16A2 is still standard issue, and I wanted Falynn's weapon to be like "vanilla U.S. army," so she's still running with an M-16/M-203 combo. Imoen has an M4, Minsc carries an M-249, etc. etc.

Plus, I think the OICW (Objective Individual Combat Weapon) looks like crap. I think it's blocky, and kinda ugly.

http://world.guns.ru...ault/as40-e.htm

But yes, they have the actual weapons working already, it's just that the rest of the "system", i.e. the electronics are still in testing and such. So, the camera you mentioned isn't fully implemented yet.

former fbi agent valygar: well, you know, as well as those pics of the "Girls of Omega" spread sold on e-bay, I got you beat...I got pics of Jessie and Nalia and a bucket of massage oil...

nalia: DIE!!! DIE!!! DIE!!!

*valygar shrieks like a little girl and runs away*

Buffy Summers: "One of these days, I'm just gonna put you two in a room and let you wrassle it out... oooh... there could be oil of some kind involved..."

its the classic "Advance in a Retrograde Motion" maneuver...

Hey, sometimes you need to retreat. Nothing to be ashamed of.

and explosives...

True, but not nearly as much as Imoen has... or even Minsc.

*jessie pulls out a red cape*

Yeah, despite the major tech edge, I'm still not sure I'd trust her to win that fight... :P

well, if you want to bounce more ideas, just pm me...

Better believe it... I've gotten some work done, but I'm still not to the sections we were discussing... once I get there, I'll probably need to bug you for help on 'em.

#14 Laufey

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:44 PM

*clears throat to imitate annoying voice*

"You have been waylaid, and have to defend yourself!"

:)

I'm sure she's not the only one. :)

Plucky - if not very reassuring. :P
Rogues do it from behind.

#15 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:33 AM

Um. Yeaaaaah... well, it's Kevin Michael Richardson who does that bit (Sarevok). I don't really find his voice annoying ;)

I'm sure she's not the only one.

Apparently not... ;)

Plucky - if not very reassuring.

Oh come on... I'd be tempted to find that level of pluck reassuring. I mean, with confidence like that, it's hard not to feel inspired, no? ;)

#16 Laufey

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:56 AM

Um. Yeaaaaah... well, it's Kevin Michael Richardson who does that bit (Sarevok). I don't really find his voice annoying ;)

Normally I don't either - but in this particular case...oh yes. ;)
Rogues do it from behind.

#17 Weyoun

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:48 PM

Notemeal:

Oh, we all go through that at some point or another. Trust me, I know how frustrating to know where you want to go, just not how you're going to get there.

Oh, it's good. Oh, it's so good. I'm just ashamed that my numbers kinda suck. What can I say, my combat style tends to get me killed. A LOT. :)

Well, at least we haven't lost you to World of Warcraft... yet... ;)

I'll just have a boomstick and a chainsaw, please. ;)

“Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?”

Usually it's the same guys over and over again. ;)

You live in a futuristic age. I'm sure they can clone you a new ass. ;)

Laska : Why is everybody shooting?

Imoen : Warfare of the future, sis. Swords won't cut it.

Laska : Swords... elegant weapons for a more elegant age.

Imoen : Yes... so you can elegantly slice someone in half and elegantly chop off some limbs. ;)

Uh... that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. ;)

:) Lovely sentiment there. ;)
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#18 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:59 AM

Normally I don't either - but in this particular case...oh yes.

I guess. (Shrug)

The one that really throws me, though, is that they picked him to do the voice of the Joker in the latest Batman cartoon. Unfortunately, the newest Batman cartoon just isn't... well, it just isn't great. Some of the staff from the 90s shows (Batman: TAS, Adventures of Batman/Robin, Batman: Gotham Knights) are still around, but most of the major figures like Bruce Timm and Eric Radomski aren't involved in the new show...

Anyway, one of the things that's been kinda weirding me out is the casting for the new show. Like I said, Sarevok as the Joker... doesn't work for me. Guess I'm too used to Hamill. (Shrug)

#19 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:05 AM

Oh, we all go through that at some point or another. Trust me, I know how frustrating to know where you want to go, just not how you're going to get there.

Oh, I'm not claiming I've got problems that nobody else has... it's just... everyone else eventually figures out how to deal with theirs. I don't have that yet... and it worries me. ;)

Well, at least we haven't lost you to World of Warcraft... yet...

Doubtful. Extremely doubtful. Only MMORPG I've ever looked at with anything more than a casual glance was Guild Wars. That one I was tempted to pick up... but I usually can't find enough time to devote to more than one online game at a time. Hence my dropping my Counterstrike habit (Gasp!) in favor of Battlefield 2. I just made Corporal. I'm pleased with myself. ;)

I'll just have a boomstick and a chainsaw, please.

Don't forget the undead princesses. ;)

You live in a futuristic age. I'm sure they can clone you a new ass.

Harlequin: "Oh, sure... just like they cloned me a new hand?" ;)

Laska : Swords... elegant weapons for a more elegant age.

Harlequin: "Pffft. Elegance my ass. Give me twenty seconds, and I can put five laser bolts into a target the size of a nickel from ranges up to three hundred meters. You ask me, that's the definition of 'finesse', right there. 'course, if you don't agree, it doesn't really matter since your head would kinda be leakin' all over the damned place, anyway, right?" ;)

Lovely sentiment there.

I thought it was cute. ;)

#20 Weyoun

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:49 PM

Oh, I'm not claiming I've got problems that nobody else has... it's just... everyone else eventually figures out how to deal with theirs. I don't have that yet... and it worries me. :twisted:

Don't worry, you always figure it out. The trick is not forcing yourself. Wracking your mind about how to get out of a tight spote never really works and usually locks you in even tighter... At least, that's always been my experience.

Doubtful. Extremely doubtful. Only MMORPG I've ever looked at with anything more than a casual glance was Guild Wars. That one I was tempted to pick up... but I usually can't find enough time to devote to more than one online game at a time. Hence my dropping my Counterstrike habit (Gasp!) in favor of Battlefield 2. I just made Corporal. I'm pleased with myself. :twisted:

Uh... Cool? sorry, I don't know the first thing about Battlefield 2, beyond that which I read in the reviews.

Don't forget the undead princesses. :twisted:

Unless she's a vampire, I'll just go with the boomstick and the chainsaw. :twisted:
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com