Gotham Central: Evidence Chain (Part 1)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:24 AM

Notemeal: (Part of a well-balanced breakfast)

1. Enara's demanding screen time. She's pushy, but hey, whatcha gonna do? :twisted:

2. This particular story arc should be pretty short. (Probably only two parts total) I'm putting it here, though, because it -is- a Gotham Central piece. (Shrug)

3. Everyone's favorite Inquistor paladin... or rather, a less-likable (arguably) version of him makes his entrance.

4. Opening sequence (The parts with the cereal eating) are, yet again, bits modified from Neal Stephenson's book Cryptonomicon. I thought they were funny. :twisted:

5. Korgan goes from dwarf to slightly pudgy Irish guy. :twisted:

6. Language warning. That's become pretty standard for this series, though.

-----

Enara Kell and Anomen Delryn are on the Major Crimes Unit’s night shift, and Gotham is smack in the middle of a gang war. The two stumble into a firefight between members of the Burnley Town Massive, and the infamous assassin, the Black Spider, A.K.A. Johnny LaMonica. Caught in the crossfire, Kell is hit multiple times by the Black Spider, her bulletproof vest and her partner the only things that spare her life. Delryn unloads his weapon into LaMonica, and Gotham is less one costumed freak.

Inspector Keldorn Firecam of the Internal Affairs Division is brought in to investigate the shooting, and to clear Delryn of any wrongdoing. It should be an open and shut case, but a surviving gang member, Gary Watson, winged in the exchange of fire after he’d been handcuffed, sees a chance to take the City of Gotham for a few million dollars for “pain and suffering.” Under the guidance of attorney Isaea Roenall, a man infamous for his “dubious” clientele, Watson accuses Delryn of the injury.

It shouldn’t hold up; it wouldn’t hold up, if the evidence were known. But the lead technician who processed the scene is none other than James Korgan, who has a reputation for making evidence “disappear” – normally onto Internet auction sites.

The missing bullet, the one that could exonerate Delryn, is also the one Korgan lifted from the scene and put up for sale on iBid. Delryn is now on administrative leave until the case is resolved.

For Kell, who knows she owes her partner her life, there’s only one thing for it.

Find the bullet.

-----

Anomen pulled the red box off the shelf and sat down with it. He held it securely between his knees, making sure that the handy stay-closed tab was pointing away from him. Using both hands in unison, he carefully worked his fingertips underneath the flap, making sure to achieve equal pressure on each side, and paying special attention to places where too much glue was laid down by the gluing-machine. For a few, long and tense moments, nothing at all happened, and an ignorant or impatient observer might have supposed that Anomen was getting nowhere. But then the entire flap popped open in an instant as the entire glue-front gave way without further incident. Anomen hates it when the box-top gets bent, or, worst of all possible worlds, torn. The lower flap was merely tacked down with a couple of small glue-spots, easily removed, and he pulled it back to reveal a translucent, inflated sac.

The fluorescent light recessed into the ceiling of his apartment’s kitchenette shone through the cloudy material of the sac to reveal gold – everywhere the glint of gold. Anomen rotated the box ninety degrees, then gripped the top of the sac and gently parted its heat-sealed seam. It purred as it gave way. Removal of the somewhat milky plastic barrier caused the individual nuggets of Cap’n Crunch to resolve, under the fluorescent light, with a kind of preternatural crispness and definition that made the roof of his mouth throb in anticipation.

The gold nuggets of Cap’n Crunch pelted the bottom of the bowl with a sound like glass rods being snapped in half, as tiny fragments ricocheted around the porcelain surface.

World-class cereal-eating is a dance of fine compromises. The giant heaping bowl of sodden cereal, awash in milk, is the mark of the novice. Ideally, one wants the bone-dry cereal nuggets and the cryogenic milk to enter the mouth with minimal contact and for the entire reaction between them to take place in the mouth. Since the current state of human cereal-eating technology is not yet on par with such a challenge, the next best thing is to work in small increments, putting only a small amount of cereal in the bowl at a time, and eating it all up before it becomes a pit of loathsome slime, which, in the case of Cap’n Crunch, takes about thirty seconds.

He poured the milk in with one hand, while jamming the spoon in with the other, not wanting to waste a single moment of the magical, golden time when cold milk and Cap’n Crunch are together, but have not yet begun to pollute each other’s essential natures: two Platonic ideals separated by a boundary a molecule wide. Anomen, of course, uses whole milk, because otherwise, why bother? Anything less is indistinguishable from water, and as far as he knows, the fat in whole milk acts as some kind of a buffer that retards the dissolution-into-slime process.

A few drops of milk came off the bottom of his spoon, but were caught by the freshly washed beard he’d been growing underneath his chin for as long as he could remember. He set the container of milk down, grabbed a paper napkin from the holder on the table, and lifted it to his chin, using a pinching motion to sort of lift the drops of milk from his whiskers, as opposed to smashing and smearing them down into the beard. Most of his concentration, however, was fixed on the interior of his mouth, which, naturally, he couldn’t see, but could easily imagine in three dimensions. At this critical moment, a novice would likely lose his cool and simply chomp down. A few of the nuggets would explode between his molars, but then the jaw would snap shut and drive all of the unshattered nuggets straight up into the palate, where their armor of razor-sharp dextrose crystals would inflict massive collateral damage, turning the rest of the meal into a sort of pain-hazed death march and rendering said novice Novocain-mute for three days.

Anomen has, however, worked out a truly fiendish Cap’n Crunch eating strategy that revolves around playing the nuggets’ most deadly features against each other. The nuggets themselves are pillow-shaped and vaguely striated (in an effort to echo piratical treasure chests, he assumed). With a flake-type of cereal, his strategy would never work. Then again, Cap’n Crunch in a flake form would be suicidal madness; it would last about as long, when immersed in milk, as snowflakes sifting down into a deep fryer. No, the cereal engineers at General Mills had to find a shape that would minimize surface area, and as some sort of compromise between the shape that is dictated by Euclidean geometry, and whatever sunken-treasure-related shapes that the cereal-aestheticians were probably clamoring for, they came up with this hard-to-pin-down striated pillow formation. The important thing, for Anomen’s purposes, is that the individual pieces of Cap’n Crunch are, to a very rough approximation, shaped kind of like molars. The strategy, then, is to make the Cap’n Crunch chew itself by grinding the nuggets together in the center of the oral cavity, like stones in a lapidary tumbler. Like advanced ballroom dancing, verbal explanations only go so far and then your body just has to learn the moves…

The buzzing of the intercom system forced his attentions away from his contemplation of life, the universe, and cereal. He frowned down at his bowl, knowing deep in his hear of hearts that abandoning the Cap’n Crunch now would be the same as condemning it to a garbage disposal sentence. Still, the buzzing was insistent, and would not be denied. He sighed, taking one last spoonful before forlornly walking away from his breakfast.

“Yes?” he said, pushing the “Talk” button on the wall next to his door.

“Anomen. It’s Enara. Can I come in?”

“Of course.”

-----

“I figured you might be bored, so I brought you something to read.”

“What is it?”

“Just a book someone gave to me a couple of months ago. I know you’re big on military history, so I figured this would be right up your alley.”

“Oh. Well, thank you. The gesture is much appreciated.” He turned the book (which apparently dealt with the various island-hopping campaigns the United States Marine Corps undertook during the second World War) over in his hands. The book-jacket hadn’t yet lost its gloss, and the shiny finish bounced light all across the room, splashing it all over the walls. He flipped the book open, noting the author’s autograph inside. “There’s an inscription here… made out to you.”

She shrugged. “Yeah.”

Curious, he briefly skimmed the text of the handwritten message. His eyes went wide a few moments later. The inscription to Enara was clearly written by a man who was desperately in love with her. Reading it was like moisturizing with Tabasco. He coughed and cleared his throat.

She colored slightly. “Yeah. I uh… ran into the guy in Blüdhaven when I was working a case down in that area. You know, when I was doing that sting operation with ATF? Well, I had some downtime, went to a bar, and um… there ya go. I told him I wasn’t interested, but I don’t think he was listening.”

Anomen smirked. “Apparently not.”

“So, anyway,” she said, quickly changing the subject. “I talked to Firecam on Friday. He says Roenall’s all set to depose you this week. Bet you’re looking forward to it, huh?”

“He shouldn’t have told you that.” He emptied his bowl of loathsome slime into the garbage disposal. It hummed merrily. “Please, sit down,” he said, motioning towards one of the tall chairs near the kitchen counter. Would you like something to drink?”

“No, I’m fine, thanks,” she said with a wave of her hand. “Little jealous, though.”

“Of what?”

“You don’t have a gay roommate I don’t know about, do you?”

He blinked. “I’m sorry?”

“It’s just… your apartment… it’s so… clean. Have you ever seen my place? It’s a sty. I mean, it’s just disgusting.”

He chuckled. “And you feel I needed this information because-“

“Just making conversation. Anyway, this whole thing is total bullshit, Anomen. There’s no way in hell you could have even hit that punk, what’s his name?”

“Gary Watson.”

“The angle was totally wrong. It has to have been one of LaMonica’s rounds that nicked him.”

Anomen shrugged and sighed. “That’s what I said, as well. Unfortunately, that is not what either Gary Watson or his attorney, Isaea Roenall is claiming. And there seems to be no hard evidence to prove them wrong, or prove me right.”

Enara tapped a fingernail against the polished, white counter-top. “C.S.U. didn’t match all the rounds?”

He scoffed in response. “We’re lucky if they even manage to lift a clean fingerprint. Are you honestly surprised that they missed a couple of bullets?”

She frowned, but nodded, acknowledging his point. “Who was the lead tech?”

“Korgan.”

“Well, there’s your problem.”

“I’m quite aware. But while you and I, and maybe half of the M.C.U. know he is corrupt, no one has proof that it’s so. Until someone can prove he stole evidence-”

She sighed. “I know. I’ll look into it.”

“That won’t be-“

She cut him off. “Stow it. I want to.” She touched a hand to her cracked ribs – relatively light injuries given the four nine-millimeter rounds that had slammed into her torso. “I.A.D.’s looking into it, but those guys couldn’t find their own asses in the dark…”

-----

Locker Room
Gotham Central

“Screw you, Kell… you wanna accuse me of something, you do it in the Box. Otherwise, stay the hell out of my face.”

Enara ducked the towel flung at her head, but didn’t retaliate, instead letting the other detective have her dramatic exit. “Nice talking to you, too, Mazz…” she said to the empty locker room. She simply stared at the wall for a second or two before finally buttoning the last two buttons on her shirt. She hung her street clothes up in her locker, shut the door, and spun the combination dial. She walked out into the main squadroom area, but it was mostly empty – that weird time of day when most of the second shift hadn’t yet arrived, and most of the day shift had already gone home.

In the common room, just off to the side of the main squad bay, the M.C.U.’s one civilian employee, a desk clerk by the name of Stacy, was setting out a few boxes of doughnuts and a couple of fresh pots of coffee. It was a daily ritual she performed for the detectives on duty – her small but cherished contribution to the G.C.P.D.’s crime-fighting efforts. Well, aside from that other one… the one nobody was technically allowed to talk about. Enara waved, “Heya, Stacy…” then immediately found herself stifling a yawn. “Sorry about that… I really need to sleep more.”

Stacy grinned. “It’s ok. That’s what the coffee’s for. Fresh pot, too… and the doughnuts just came in. You might want to help yourself before the Sarge gets here.” She winked.

Enara couldn’t help but smile a little. “I plan on it. Last time I fought with him over a bearclaw, I nearly lost an arm.” She put one hand over her heart. “Never again.” She took a paper plate and loaded it up with a couple of the pastries, then poured herself a tall, steaming mug of coffee. Two of the little creamer containers and two paper packets of sugar got emptied into the cup, as well.

“So… um… it looks like someone pissed in Detective Fentan’s cornflakes.” The clerk motioned to one corner of the room where Detective Mazzy Fentan was trying to extricate herself from a mountain of accumulated paperwork. The top of her head, with its covering of short, straight, reddish hair was all that stuck out above the enormous pile of Manila folders.

Enara snorted. “Yeah. She took… umbrage… at an inquiry I made.”

The response managed to earn a snicker out of Stacy. “ ‘Umbrage.’ That’s a great word – umbrage. And what exactly caused her to… umber?”

The detective rolled her eyes, then shrugged. “I’d heard she and Korgan had a little thing going. Just wanted to know if it’s true. Turns out it isn’t.”

“Oh. Well, geez, Detective, I could have told you that. Jimmy Korgan’s got himself a little something-something over at Finnegan’s. You know, that bar over on the West side? Cop bar?”

There was no mistaking the sarcasm in Enara’s voice. “If by ‘cop’ you mean that chunk of the force that thinks carrying a badge is an excuse to line their own pockets?” She grit her teeth together, her face dropping into an irritated-looking scowl.

Stacy frowned. “That would be the one.”

Enara nodded her head and took a sip from her cup of coffee. She winced at it, then dumped in another packet of sugar, swirling it into the mix with a thin, plastic stirrer. “Huh. Sounds like something I should look into.” She reached into her pocket for a set of car keys. “I’ll be back later.”

“Sure thing, Detective.”

She left, taking her late-afternoon breakfast with her, and Stacy was alone with the coffee and doughnuts… or so she thought. “Good work,” said a voice from behind her.

Stacy shuddered. “Yeah. I guess.” She turned. Standing there, leaning casually against the soda machine was an older gentleman dressed in a sharp, well-tailored suit, the same color of gray as his hair and goatee. His I.D. badge, complete with the “I.A.D.” tag on the lower right corner, was clipped to the pocket of his shirt. “I don’t like this, Inspector,” Stacy said to him. “It just… it feels like you’re using her.”

He shrugged. “Perhaps I am. But securing the right information from Korgan is going to require a special… ‘touch.’ And Detective Kell is not only capable of that type of interrogation, but extremely motivated. I’m merely making the best possible use of available resources.”

-----

Finnigan’s Bar
Lower West Side – Gotham City

In retrospect, going in alone wasn’t the smartest thing Enara had ever done. But then again, as they said, hindsight was 20/20. It was just her foresight that seemed to be rather myopic. Still, that reckless streak of hers had gotten her out of many a jam in the past. True, it also tended to get her into more trouble than it got her out of, but that was dangerously close to a rational argument. Couldn’t have that.

Finnigan’s Bar was a dive bar out on Gotham’s Lower West Side, just between the Castor Place and 21st Street stops on the A-line, and it was a popular hangout for members of the 3rd Precinct. The Third’s squad roster read like the who’s who of Gotham City’s corrupt cops, and Finnigan’s was their turf. Moseying on in the way she was doing was about the same thing as walking in front of a mob of Odessa boys screaming “Hey, I’m with the Escabedo Cartel!” – i.e. not particularly good for one’s health.

She caught several bits of conversation as she stepped through the door.

“- sure I’m on duty, but my Sergeant knows I’m here.”

“- so she’s bitching about how I’m never home, so I show the stupid skank the back of my hand…”

“- bastard from I.A.D. was on my case. Told him if he wanted to hear more, to call my fuckin’ Union Rep!”

“- so’s I get called in on some stupid domestic, and the two of ‘em are yammerin’ at each other. Won’t stop. So I start using my stick on both of ‘em…”

“- and I says to her… well, I guess I could rip the ticket up… but tell me, why would I wanna do that?”

The room went completely quiet.

“Looks like somebody got a little lost.”

To be perfectly honest about it, she was more than a little scared. It was funny how that worked. It seemed like only yesterday she was staring down the Batman, and acting like a petulant child as she, in no uncertain terms, blamed him for her friend’s death. She’d managed to keep her cool then… mostly… kept her fear in check. This time, though… she had to admit, she was a little worried. There were times when she could believe that she and the costumed vigilante were actually on the same side. She wasn’t sure she could say the same about these “cops” in the bar with her.

“- M.C.U. bitch…” someone in the crowd said. She ignored him.

On a stool by the bar was the man she’d come to talk to. She’d taken the time to hunt up his personnel dossier and peek inside. Korgan was in his mid to late 30s, having been part of the force for going on ten years. In that time, he’d kept himself under the radar – not drawing any attention, either good or bad. There was practically nothing in his file, nothing she could use anyway. She could probably glean more information from just looking at him.

His dark hair was going gray around the temples. His face was heavily lined, rough and craggy. A poorly trimmed beard, graying like the hair on his head, sprouted on his chin and ran all the way around to just underneath his ears. He’d developed a significant-sized beer gut over the years, but underneath all of that, was still a fair amount of muscle. Rumor mill had it that he liked to bare-knuckle box in his spare time… when he wasn’t getting drunk, at least. She’d have to watch herself around him.

“Korgan.”

He turned in his seat, following a pull from his beer bottle with a drag from his cigarette. He blew smoke in her direction as she approached. “Detective. You get lost or somethin’?” He retained a small trace of his Irish accent, but only a trace. “Thought you MCU types were too good to drink with us working stiffs.”

She put a hand down on the stool next to him and leaned in. “This ain’t a social call, Jimmy. I got some questions on the LaMonica shooting.”

He downed the rest of his beer and tapped the bar for another round. The barkeep didn’t say a word as he popped open another and set it on the counter in front of Korgan. “I ain’t on duty,” the tech said. “You got questions, read my fuckin’ report.”

She glared at him. “I would, but it seems your report’s got some pretty big holes in it. Bullet-sized holes.”

“Oh, that’s real clever. ‘Bullet-sized’ holes.” He snorted something foul up into his mouth and spit it out into the ashtray. “Blow.”

She ignored the comment, not wanting to waste her time dealing with his taunts. She knew the entire bar was staring at her, but she chose not to acknowledge that, either. “Your report says you recovered thirty-three rounds from the scene,” she said, pressing him further. “Ballistics only has thirty-two of them.”

“I miscounted,” he said with a shrug.

“Right. So I guess that means you’re not only a crook, you’re a moron, too.”

He slammed the bottle down on the bar, some of the liquid spilling out and onto his hand. He finally turned to look her in the eye. “I’d watch what I say, Detective… what with you having cracked ribs and no backup.”

She grinned; it was all teeth. “You wanna take this outside, Jimmy? I’d be glad to take this outside.”

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:34 AM

1. Enara's demanding screen time. She's pushy, but hey, whatcha gonna do? :D

Well, she’s fun to read about. Of course, I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Raven, Harlequin and Vixen, too. :shock:

3. Everyone's favorite Inquistor paladin... or rather, a less-likable (arguably) version of him makes his entrance.

That makes me really curious…

5. Korgan goes from dwarf to slightly pudgy Irish guy. :D

And amazingly, nobody noticed the difference. ;)

[b]Enara Kell and Anomen Delryn are on the Major Crimes Unit’s night shift, and Gotham is smack in the middle of a gang war. The two stumble into a firefight between members of the Burnley Town Massive, and the infamous assassin, the Black Spider, A.K.A. Johnny LaMonica. Caught in the crossfire, Kell is hit multiple times by the Black Spider, her bulletproof vest and her partner the only things that spare her life. Delryn unloads his weapon into LaMonica, and Gotham is less one costumed freak.

Yay! Umm, Nar was more or less okay, right?

Inspector Keldorn Firecam of the Internal Affairs Division is brought in to investigate the shooting, and to clear Delryn of any wrongdoing. It should be an open and shut case, but a surviving gang member, Gary Watson, winged in the exchange of fire after he’d been handcuffed, sees a chance to take the City of Gotham for a few million dollars for “pain and suffering.” Under the guidance of attorney Isaea Roenall, a man infamous for his “dubious” clientele, Watson accuses Delryn of the injury.

Ah, so many fitting cameos here… none more so than the sleazebag Isaea.

It shouldn’t hold up; it wouldn’t hold up, if the evidence were known. But the lead technician who processed the scene is none other than James Korgan, who has a reputation for making evidence “disappear” – normally onto Internet auction sites.

Now that I can easily see happening, really – he would need additional funds to support his boozing.

The missing bullet, the one that could exonerate Delryn, is also the one Korgan lifted from the scene and put up for sale on iBid. Delryn is now on administrative leave until the case is resolved.

Aw, crap! :P

Anomen pulled the red box off the shelf and sat down with it. He held it securely between his knees, making sure that the handy stay-closed tab was pointing away from him. Using both hands in unison, he carefully worked his fingertips underneath the flap, making sure to achieve equal pressure on each side, and paying special attention to places where too much glue was laid down by the gluing-machine. For a few, long and tense moments, nothing at all happened, and an ignorant or impatient observer might have supposed that Anomen was getting nowhere. But then the entire flap popped open in an instant as the entire glue-front gave way without further incident. Anomen hates it when the box-top gets bent, or, worst of all possible worlds, torn. The lower flap was merely tacked down with a couple of small glue-spots, easily removed, and he pulled it back to reveal a translucent, inflated sac.

Ey??? :twisted: This reminds me the infamous Eye Of Argon, and the page long description of how the mighty barbarian Grignr opens a sturdy door. :twisted:

Anomen has, however, worked out a truly fiendish Cap’n Crunch eating strategy that revolves around playing the nuggets’ most deadly features against each other. The nuggets themselves are pillow-shaped and vaguely striated (in an effort to echo piratical treasure chests, he assumed). With a flake-type of cereal, his strategy would never work. Then again, Cap’n Crunch in a flake form would be suicidal madness; it would last about as long, when immersed in milk, as snowflakes sifting down into a deep fryer. No, the cereal engineers at General Mills had to find a shape that would minimize surface area, and as some sort of compromise between the shape that is dictated by Euclidean geometry, and whatever sunken-treasure-related shapes that the cereal-aestheticians were probably clamoring for, they came up with this hard-to-pin-down striated pillow formation. The important thing, for Anomen’s purposes, is that the individual pieces of Cap’n Crunch are, to a very rough approximation, shaped kind of like molars. The strategy, then, is to make the Cap’n Crunch chew itself by grinding the nuggets together in the center of the oral cavity, like stones in a lapidary tumbler. Like advanced ballroom dancing, verbal explanations only go so far and then your body just has to learn the moves…

Alright, I feel both slightly stunned and highly educated, by now… :twisted:

Btw, in some places in the above paragraphs, you got present and past tenses mixing occasionally – I don’t know if that was intentional, but it sort of caught my eye.

The buzzing of the intercom system forced his attentions away from his contemplation of life, the universe, and cereal. He frowned down at his bowl, knowing deep in his hear of hearts that abandoning the Cap’n Crunch now would be the same as condemning it to a garbage disposal sentence. Still, the buzzing was insistent, and would not be denied. He sighed, taking one last spoonful before forlornly walking away from his breakfast.

I will never be able to erase the image of Anomen The Cereal Freak from my brain now…

Curious, he briefly skimmed the text of the handwritten message. His eyes went wide a few moments later. The inscription to Enara was clearly written by a man who was desperately in love with her. Reading it was like moisturizing with Tabasco. He coughed and cleared his throat.

That bad, eh? Seems like Enara is a regular heartbreaker, indeed. ;)

She colored slightly. “Yeah. I uh… ran into the guy in Blüdhaven when I was working a case down in that area. You know, when I was doing that sting operation with ATF? Well, I had some downtime, went to a bar, and um… there ya go. I told him I wasn’t interested, but I don’t think he was listening.”

He seems like the type that no matter if you say ‘no’ for the umpteenth time, they still think you’re just playing hard to get. :twisted:

He blinked. “I’m sorry?”

Anomen and gay jokes seems to be a running gag in this series. ;)

“Korgan.”

No great mystery to solve in this story line, is there? ;)

“Screw you, Kell… you wanna accuse me of something, you do it in the Box. Otherwise, stay the hell out of my face.”

Enara ducked the towel flung at her head, but didn’t retaliate, instead letting the other detective have her dramatic exit. “Nice talking to you, too, Mazz…” she said to the empty locker room.

Ah, Mazzy’s being a complete and utter bitch… how wonderfully in character for her. :twisted:

Stacy grinned. “It’s ok. That’s what the coffee’s for. Fresh pot, too… and the doughnuts just came in. You might want to help yourself before the Sarge gets here.” She winked.

Enara couldn’t help but smile a little. “I plan on it. Last time I fought with him over a bearclaw, I nearly lost an arm.” She put one hand over her heart. “Never again.”

Oy… Sarge probably hasn’t heard about ‘ladies first’… or maybe in his opinion that doesn’t refer to grabbing as many doughnuts as possible. :D

The detective rolled her eyes, then shrugged. “I’d heard she and Korgan had a little thing going. Just wanted to know if it’s true. Turns out it isn’t.”

He probably dumped her, too. :D

He shrugged. “Perhaps I am. But securing the right information from Korgan is going to require a special… ‘touch.’ And Detective Kell is not only capable of that type of interrogation, but extremely motivated. I’m merely making the best possible use of available resources.”

Ah, there’s Keldy, being a bit of a manipulating scumbag this time. :D

In retrospect, going in alone wasn’t the smartest thing Enara had ever done. But then again, as they said, hindsight was 20/20. It was just her foresight that seemed to be rather myopic. Still, that reckless streak of hers had gotten her out of many a jam in the past. True, it also tended to get her [i]into more trouble than it got her out of, but that was dangerously close to a rational argument. Couldn’t have that.

LOL! Logic sucks, that’s what I always say. :D

“- so’s I get called in on some stupid domestic, and the two of ‘em are yammerin’ at each other. Won’t stop. So I start using my stick on both of ‘em…”

Charming fellows, aren’t they? :twisted:

He downed the rest of his beer and tapped the bar for another round. The barkeep didn’t say a word as he popped open another and set it on the counter in front of Korgan. “I ain’t on duty,” the tech said. “You got questions, read my fuckin’ report.”

Oh, and there’s yet another charmer… this dive is full of them, it seems.

She glared at him. “I would, but it seems your report’s got some pretty big holes in it. Bullet-sized holes.”

Har har! :D Nice pun, Nar… if a little corny. :D

Ouchie! :twisted: Nicely done, Nar!

He slammed the bottle down on the bar, some of the liquid spilling out and onto his hand. He finally turned to look her in the eye. “I’d watch what I say, Detective… what with you having cracked ribs and no backup.”

She grinned; it was all teeth. “You wanna take this outside, Jimmy? I’d be glad to take this outside.”

Ooooh, careful Nar, he’s got a mean left hook, he does!

#3 Guest_Joe_*

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:52 PM

Anomen's method of cereal consumption is disturbingly like my own. But at the very least you thought through our logic in writing this :twisted:

I'm new to this storyline, so tell me, who's Batman? Or is he still just Bruce Wayne?

#4 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:45 AM

Well, she’s fun to read about. Of course, I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Raven, Harlequin and Vixen, too.

And I'd love to do something with them, but I've gotten a little stalled on Omega stuff. Too much DC universe stuff... not just Batman... (Sigh) Falynn and company will hopefully get some screen time soon, but it won't be the Omega versions of 'em. (Oooooooohhhhh... mysteeeeerious. :D )

And amazingly, nobody noticed the difference.

It was UU's idea. :twisted:

Yay! Umm, Nar was more or less okay, right?

Cracked ribs, but those'll heal. Not too bad considering she got shot like four times.

Now that I can easily see happening, really – he would need additional funds to support his boozing.

That's exactly what UU said, actually. Both the alcohol habit and he suggested giving Korgan a gambling habit, too. Betting on horse races and the like.

This reminds me the infamous Eye Of Argon, and the page long description of how the mighty barbarian Grignr opens a sturdy door.

It's from another book. It says so in the notemeal. :twisted:

Btw, in some places in the above paragraphs, you got present and past tenses mixing occasionally – I don’t know if that was intentional, but it sort of caught my eye.

The original source material was written in present tense, but I usually write in past tense, so I had to try and "fix" the lines. I'm pretty sure I missed something somewhere.

That bad, eh? Seems like Enara is a regular heartbreaker, indeed.

I just figured that one of my female characters has to actually be attractive. ;)

Anomen and gay jokes seems to be a running gag in this series.

Partly because the comic series itself makes a lot of them. Montoya gets "outed" during the plot arc covered in Issues 6-10, and that ends up getting brought up a lot during all the later issues. (They're on like Issue 34 now.)

No great mystery to solve in this story line, is there?

This one's pretty straightforward. It should be. It was all wrapped up in one issue, basically. :twisted:

Ah, Mazzy’s being a complete and utter bitch… how wonderfully in character for her.

I wanted to put in a scene where she was so pissed off at Enara that she started screaming at Valygar, but I couldn't find a way to fit it in. Oh, well, maybe next time.

Oy… Sarge probably hasn’t heard about ‘ladies first’… or maybe in his opinion that doesn’t refer to grabbing as many doughnuts as possible.

Manners get forgotten when free food's involved. That's like standard practice everywhere in the world, isn't it?

He probably dumped her, too.

Actually, they never -had- any kind of relationship. It was just a rumor. An untrue one.

Ah, there’s Keldy, being a bit of a manipulating scumbag this time.

It's why I originally didn't plan to put him in that role. The original character from the Internal Affairs Department struck me as an honest cop, but still a bit of a jerk - and I don't see Keldorn as a jerk... but I figured that since he fit so well in other aspects, I kept him in that slot.

Oh, and there’s yet another charmer… this dive is full of them, it seems.

Finnigan's is apparently a hole, yeah.

Nice pun, Nar… if a little corny.

There's no such thing as a "nice pun." They're all bad. ;)

Ooooh, careful Nar, he’s got a mean left hook, he does!

Yep. And she's gonna be feeling it soon.

#5 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:47 AM

Anomen's method of cereal consumption is disturbingly like my own.

Really? I didn't think -anyone- was that crazy. :twisted:

I'm new to this storyline, so tell me, who's Batman? Or is he still just Bruce Wayne?

I replaced a lot of the G.C.P.D. characters, but I kept the Bat Squad intact. I didn't want to mess with them. The only exception is that since I replaced Jim Gordon with Gorion in the very first piece I did in the Gotham setting, Oracle is still Barbara Gordon, she's just no longer the "Ex-Commissioner's daughter." That's about all. It's still Bruce Wayne, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, Barbara Gordon, Helena Bertinelli, etc.

#6 Guest_Joe_*

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:40 AM

Partly because the comic series itself makes a lot of them. Montoya gets "outed" during the plot arc covered in Issues 6-10, and that ends up getting brought up a lot during all the later issues. (They're on like Issue 34 now.)

What series is this? Batman is a little beyond 34, as my nifty sig now reflects, but I guess there are probably a lot of spin-offs I don't know about. (Though I think Batman stands up to it better than that ultimate victim of success, Wolverine).

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:07 PM

What series is this?

It's a new (relatively speaking, I guess) title that DC launched. It's called Gotham Central, and I just took the name in addition to the storylines and the characters, and all that. :wink:

Actually, though, the first Batman-themed thing I put up was based on the No Man's Land novelization.

http://www.gamejag.n...ewtopic&t=77777

I did a version of the last few scenes in the novel. I replaced Jim Gordon with Gorion, replaced Huntress with a CHARNAME who was a SWAT cop, and replaced Sarah Essen with Imoen. (Minus the what-would-then-be incestuous relationship, of course)

Instead of getting saved by Nightwing, however, like Huntress did, CHARNAME gets offed, and so does Immy. :D

I'd planned to just leave it at that, but then I got the itch to do stuff with the Gotham Central series, so I just put Enara (Another CHARNAME, essentially) in as the main. I replaced Jackson Davies with Sarevok, replaced Charlie Fields with Khalid, Nora Fields became Jaheira, and Enara and Anomen are roughly Marcus Driver and Romy Chandler... only sometimes flipped since Chandler has all the good lines, but Marcus was the focus of the first five issues of the original comic series.

http://www.dccomics....novels/?gn=2962

If you're interested. Good read, if you ask me, and, unlike the main Batman series, it's not really too late to get on board with it. (Shrug)

Batman is a little beyond 34, as my nifty sig now reflects, but I guess there are probably a lot of spin-offs I don't know about.

About that... who says the first line? It just sounds like an Oracle line, but I guess it's probably someone else, isn't it?

(Though I think Batman stands up to it better than that ultimate victim of success, Wolverine)

Yeah. No kidding. Hence why I've never even tried to get in on the original Detective Comics series or the actual Batman series, or even some of the longer running spinoff series, like Nightwing or Robin, or even Birds of Prey. I basically just tried to find online guides and read up on all the timelines. I've gone back and gotten trades of some of the more interesting plot arcs, though, like the Contagion arc. And I've been following the War Games trades. Act 3 is supposed to be released in trade in September, so I'll be grabbing it. I'm pretty well apprised of what happens in it, though. It makes me sad. :D

#8 Guest_Joe_*

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:58 PM

About that... who says the first line? It just sounds like an Oracle line, but I guess it's probably someone else, isn't it?

Given the context it's probably a spoiler. Highlight here Leslie Tomkins to read.

#9 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:15 PM

Ah. Leslie.

Yeah, she was -not- happy when Selina came by to drop off Stephanie's information... about how the gang war was all Bruce's plan and what-not. I've read the Detective Comics issues (This past weekend, in fact) where Black Mask was going around dressed as Batman to try and discredit him, so I'm somewhat caught up on "current" events in the Bat-verse.

They mention that Leslie gave up the job... something I never expected her to do. Kinda sad how that works. And it's a shame about Steph, too. I'm not a huge Spoiler fan, but you know Batman's blaming himself for it all, and I'm worried as to how Tim and Cass are taking it.

#10 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:46 PM

So we've heard...

Push her out a door? Like one on an airplane. In the middle of a transatlantic flight?

Just kidding.

But speaking of Enara.. I'm starting to see her in the mind's eye like Montoya from Batman the Animated Series. We need more description!

Yet a believable one... a little less noble, but doing the inquisitor thing.

4. Opening sequence (The parts with the cereal eating) are, yet again, bits modified from Neal Stephenson's book Cryptonomicon. I thought they were funny. :wink:

They are funny. And very very very odd.

5. Korgan goes from dwarf to slightly pudgy Irish guy. :D

Heh

Enara Kell and Anomen Delryn are on the Major Crimes Unit’s night shift, and Gotham is smack in the middle of a gang war. The two stumble into a firefight between members of the Burnley Town Massive, and the infamous assassin, the Black Spider, A.K.A. Johnny LaMonica. Caught in the crossfire, Kell is hit multiple times by the Black Spider, her bulletproof vest and her partner the only things that spare her life. Delryn unloads his weapon into LaMonica, and Gotham is less one costumed freak.

Woohoo! Down with the costumed freaks!

Lovely. Well Roenall and Gotham are a perfect match. A match made in hell.

Gil Grissom would be very ticked off right now.

For Kell, who knows she owes her partner her life, there’s only one thing for it.

Find the bullet.

And plant it in the scumbreath CSI's buttocks. :P

Anomen pulled the red box off the shelf and sat down with it. He held it securely between his knees, making sure that the handy stay-closed tab was pointing away from him.

The strategy, then, is to make the Cap’n Crunch chew itself by grinding the nuggets together in the center of the oral cavity, like stones in a lapidary tumbler. Like advanced ballroom dancing, verbal explanations only go so far and then your body just has to learn the moves…

This was one of the oddest and yet most interesting things I've ever read. It shows that someone, somewhere, has SO much time on their hands that they have devoted hours to the comprehension and dedication to culinary and gustatory completeness of cereal.

And that both frightens and amuses me. More freaks are always good. Provided they don't start thinking about wearing 'Edgar suits' or the equivalent.

Ahh.. the trials and tribulations of life.

“I figured you might be bored, so I brought you something to read.”

Comics! Batman comics!

“What is it?”

“Just a book someone gave to me a couple of months ago. I know you’re big on military history, so I figured this would be right up your alley.”

Or not. And Ano being a milhistory buff... yeah. :twisted:

“Oh. Well, thank you. The gesture is much appreciated.” He turned the book (which apparently dealt with the various island-hopping campaigns the United States Marine Corps undertook during the second World War) over in his hands. The book-jacket hadn’t yet lost its gloss, and the shiny finish bounced light all across the room, splashing it all over the walls. He flipped the book open, noting the author’s autograph inside. “There’s an inscription here… made out to you.”

Heh... hehehe.

She shrugged. “Yeah.”

Poor Ano's got it bad too. :twisted:

Anomen smirked. “Apparently not.”

Imoen: "Especially considering the whole section on whipped cream and cheeries. Yikes."

“So, anyway,” she said, quickly changing the subject. “I talked to Firecam on Friday. He says Roenall’s all set to depose you this week. Bet you’re looking forward to it, huh?”

Nalia: "Considering who it is, I imagine like he'd anticipate having his brain pulled out through his feet."

Imoen: "Much hostility there Nals?"

Nalia: "You have no idea."

Imoen: *shivers*

“He shouldn’t have told you that.” He emptied his bowl of loathsome slime into the garbage disposal. It hummed merrily. “Please, sit down,” he said, motioning towards one of the tall chairs near the kitchen counter. Would you like something to drink?”

“No, I’m fine, thanks,” she said with a wave of her hand. “Little jealous, though.”

Of his fancy powerpuff slippers?

“Of what?”

Imoen: "Well, he does and he doesn't. There is a gay man living there. And he lives by himself."

Bran: "Be nice."

Imoen: "I am."

He blinked. “I’m sorry?”

“It’s just… your apartment… it’s so… clean. Have you ever seen my place? It’s a sty. I mean, it’s just disgusting.”

That's what maid services are for. :twisted:

“Just making conversation. Anyway, this whole thing is total bullshit, Anomen. There’s no way in hell you could have even hit that punk, what’s his name?”

She's feeling guilty again...

Anomen shrugged and sighed. “That’s what I said, as well. Unfortunately, that is not what either Gary Watson or his attorney, Isaea Roenall is claiming. And there seems to be no hard evidence to prove them wrong, or prove me right.”

That's cuz some went missing.

Enara tapped a fingernail against the polished, white counter-top. “C.S.U. didn’t match all the rounds?”

He scoffed in response. “We’re lucky if they even manage to lift a clean fingerprint. Are you honestly surprised that they missed a couple of bullets?”

She frowned, but nodded, acknowledging his point. “Who was the lead tech?”

“Korgan.”

aka... scum

“I’m quite aware. But while you and I, and maybe half of the M.C.U. know he is corrupt, no one has proof that it’s so. Until someone can prove he stole evidence-”

The evidence guy is probably the best at it too... things just never get catalogued. :twisted:

She sighed. “I know. I’ll look into it.”

“That won’t be-“

She cut him off. “Stow it. I want to.” She touched a hand to her cracked ribs – relatively light injuries given the four nine-millimeter rounds that had slammed into her torso. “I.A.D.’s looking into it, but those guys couldn’t find their own asses in the dark…”

Bran: "With approach radar, dedicated flight controller and a well lit runway."

She pissed someone off...

Enara ducked the towel flung at her head, but didn’t retaliate, instead letting the other detective have her dramatic exit. “Nice talking to you, too, Mazz…” she said to the empty locker room. She simply stared at the wall for a second or two before finally buttoning the last two buttons on her shirt. She hung her street clothes up in her locker, shut the door, and spun the combination dial. She walked out into the main squadroom area, but it was mostly empty – that weird time of day when most of the second shift hadn’t yet arrived, and most of the day shift had already gone home.

Pissed off Maz? Well, the dialogue seems a little off for her but she seems rather ticked.

In the common room, just off to the side of the main squad bay, the M.C.U.’s one civilian employee, a desk clerk by the name of Stacy, was setting out a few boxes of doughnuts and a couple of fresh pots of coffee. It was a daily ritual she performed for the detectives on duty – her small but cherished contribution to the G.C.P.D.’s crime-fighting efforts. Well, aside from that other one… the one nobody was technically allowed to talk about. Enara waved, “Heya, Stacy…” then immediately found herself stifling a yawn. “Sorry about that… I really need to sleep more.”

Sleep is good. I need more of that.

Sarevok and a box full of Krispy Kreme... ye gods, Bhaalspawn suffered less cruel fates.

And speaking of donuts, a guy I used to work for bought a big sheet of the Krispy Kremes from the factory on the way home from a bike race he'd just done. And he was hungry. And they were warm and yummy. And he ate the whole thing. Was sick for two days. It was kinda funny. :twisted: :twisted:

But not as funny as the time he ate most of jar of halapeno stuffed olives before karate class. That was hilarious.

Enara couldn’t help but smile a little. “I plan on it. Last time I fought with him over a bearclaw, I nearly lost an arm.” She put one hand over her heart. “Never again.” She took a paper plate and loaded it up with a couple of the pastries, then poured herself a tall, steaming mug of coffee. Two of the little creamer containers and two paper packets of sugar got emptied into the cup, as well.

*snigger*

Sarevok: "Graw!!! Bearclaw! Mine!!" *rip* *munch* "Much better. And sorry about the shirt Kell."

“So… um… it looks like someone pissed in Detective Fentan’s cornflakes.” The clerk motioned to one corner of the room where Detective Mazzy Fentan was trying to extricate herself from a mountain of accumulated paperwork. The top of her head, with its covering of short, straight, reddish hair was all that stuck out above the enormous pile of Manila folders.

Heheheh.. that's a funny image. She's buried in paperwork. :twisted:

Enara snorted. “Yeah. She took… umbrage… at an inquiry I made.”

The response managed to earn a snicker out of Stacy. “ ‘Umbrage.’ That’s a great word – umbrage. And what exactly caused her to… umber?”

It is a good word. :twisted:

Ooooh. You're lucky she didn't shoot you.

“Oh. Well, geez, Detective, I could have told you that. Jimmy Korgan’s got himself a little something-something over at Finnegan’s. You know, that bar over on the West side? Cop bar?”

There was no mistaking the sarcasm in Enara’s voice. “If by ‘cop’ you mean that chunk of the force that thinks carrying a badge is an excuse to line their own pockets?” She grit her teeth together, her face dropping into an irritated-looking scowl.

A hive of scum and villany. :twisted:

Enara nodded her head and took a sip from her cup of coffee. She winced at it, then dumped in another packet of sugar, swirling it into the mix with a thin, plastic stirrer. “Huh. Sounds like something I should look into.” She reached into her pocket for a set of car keys. “I’ll be back later.”

Hope you've got back up. Or a lightsaber.

She left, taking her late-afternoon breakfast with her, and Stacy was alone with the coffee and doughnuts… or so she thought. “Good work,” said a voice from behind her.

Stacy shuddered. “Yeah. I guess.” She turned. Standing there, leaning casually against the soda machine was an older gentleman dressed in a sharp, well-tailored suit, the same color of gray as his hair and goatee. His I.D. badge, complete with the “I.A.D.” tag on the lower right corner, was clipped to the pocket of his shirt. “I don’t like this, Inspector,” Stacy said to him. “It just… it feels like you’re using her.”

A little scuzzy yes, but allowing Kell to handle the evildoer isn't probably the worst course either. And someone does have to police the police.

In retrospect, going in alone wasn’t the smartest thing Enara had ever done. But then again, as they said, hindsight was 20/20. It was just her foresight that seemed to be rather myopic. Still, that reckless streak of hers had gotten her out of many a jam in the past. True, it also tended to get her into more trouble than it got her out of, but that was dangerously close to a rational argument. Couldn’t have that.

LOL Trouble time. :twisted:

Finnigan’s Bar was a dive bar out on Gotham’s Lower West Side, just between the Castor Place and 21st Street stops on the A-line, and it was a popular hangout for members of the 3rd Precinct. The Third’s squad roster read like the who’s who of Gotham City’s corrupt cops, and Finnigan’s was their turf. Moseying on in the way she was doing was about the same thing as walking in front of a mob of Odessa boys screaming “Hey, I’m with the Escabedo Cartel!” – i.e. not particularly good for one’s health.

Also known as one of the more creative ways of committing suicide. The most interesting known method was by giving one's name. It was done by an individual walking into the Mended Drum in Anhk Morpork and when asked what his name was, giving it.

Unfortunately for him, it was Vincent the Invincible.

The title was not 100% accurate.

She caught several bits of conversation as she stepped through the door.

“- so she’s bitching about how I’m never home, so I show the stupid skank the back of my hand…”

“- bastard from I.A.D. was on my case. Told him if he wanted to hear more, to call my fuckin’ Union Rep!”

“- and I says to her… well, I guess I could rip the ticket up… but tell me, why would I wanna do that?”

The room went completely quiet.

Ahh... scumbags.

And that isn't a helpful stranger either.

To be perfectly honest about it, she was more than a little scared. It was funny how that worked. It seemed like only yesterday she was staring down the Batman, and acting like a petulant child as she, in no uncertain terms, blamed him for her friend’s death. She’d managed to keep her cool then… mostly… kept her fear in check. This time, though… she had to admit, she was a little worried. There were times when she could believe that she and the costumed vigilante were actually on the same side. She wasn’t sure she could say the same about these “cops” in the bar with her.

Yeah, but these are the Fallen Ones, the corrupt. They're worse than the crazy.

On a stool by the bar was the man she’d come to talk to. She’d taken the time to hunt up his personnel dossier and peek inside. Korgan was in his mid to late 30s, having been part of the force for going on ten years. In that time, he’d kept himself under the radar – not drawing any attention, either good or bad. There was practically nothing in his file, nothing she could use anyway. She could probably glean more information from just looking at him.

His dark hair was going gray around the temples. His face was heavily lined, rough and craggy. A poorly trimmed beard, graying like the hair on his head, sprouted on his chin and ran all the way around to just underneath his ears. He’d developed a significant-sized beer gut over the years, but underneath all of that, was still a fair amount of muscle. Rumor mill had it that he liked to bare-knuckle box in his spare time… when he wasn’t getting drunk, at least. She’d have to watch herself around him.

A lovely chap in need of an arse kicking.

“Korgan.”

He turned in his seat, following a pull from his beer bottle with a drag from his cigarette. He blew smoke in her direction as she approached. “Detective. You get lost or somethin’?” He retained a small trace of his Irish accent, but only a trace. “Thought you MCU types were too good to drink with us working stiffs.”

Bran: "You mean you corrupt, money grubbing slimeballs."

She put a hand down on the stool next to him and leaned in. “This ain’t a social call, Jimmy. I got some questions on the LaMonica shooting.”

Such a lovely man, so willing to help the police in their inquiries.

Oooh. Not only a bad joke.. but oooh.

“Oh, that’s real clever. ‘Bullet-sized’ holes.” He snorted something foul up into his mouth and spit it out into the ashtray. “Blow.”

She ignored the comment, not wanting to waste her time dealing with his taunts. She knew the entire bar was staring at her, but she chose not to acknowledge that, either. “Your report says you recovered thirty-three rounds from the scene,” she said, pressing him further. “Ballistics only has thirty-two of them.”

Not rising to his taunts, but taunting him back with his own dishonesty. Nice.

Zing! Now that should get his attention.

This should be good. Really good. Nar kicking Korgan around the block. :twisted: :twisted:

Good stuff Alpha. And one weird and wacky cereal bit in this serial.

VH

#11 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:07 PM

But speaking of Enara.. I'm starting to see her in the mind's eye like Montoya from Batman the Animated Series. We need more description!

I like that rendition of Renee, actually. She looks good in that gray sweater the beat cops wear.

And I don't know if you saw, but there's one episode of the Gotham Knights series where Montoya's dressed like an elf, and Bullocks done up like Santa Claus.

(Bullock and Montoya are taking shots at Clayface)

Batgirl: "Don't waste your ammo on him! Shoot the Santa!"

Bullock: "You wouldn't..."

Montoya: "Not you, you dope... -that- Santa!" (Points at the decorations above Clayface)

It's a cute scene. :D

Anyway, for what it's worth:

http://www.karwal.dk...ortal/index.htm

Go to the "Custom Work" section. Second portrait from the left. That's the one I used in-game for Enara. The version I have doesn't have the weird gray marking over her left eye. Otherwise, that's her. :P

but doing the inquisitor thing.

That's the main reason I thought he'd fit as a member of the I.A.D.

They are funny. And very very very odd.

I think the odd is where the funny comes from. When I read those in the original novel, I couldn't help but laugh. I mean, I thought that stuff was sheer comic genius. :twisted:

But then again, I thought the same about that whole "standing on the remains of a crashed German rocket plane" bit...

Gil Grissom would be very ticked off right now.

I only know who that is because I looked it up. I don't watch CSI.

Poor Ano's got it bad too.

Yeah, I imagine she knows something's going on, and she's likely been giving him a rough time of it... you know, playing things a little coy for now. :twisted:

Imoen: "Well, he does and he doesn't. There is a gay man living there. And he lives by himself."

Is there any particular reason why your version of Imoen doesn't like him? :twisted:

That's what maid services are for.

Enara: "Um, I make like 40K a year, and I spend like half of that on rent. How the hell am I supposed to afford a maid?"

The evidence guy is probably the best at it too... things just never get catalogued.

Yeah... stuff like that. Grrrrrrr.

Sleep is good. I need more of that.

Don't we all? Problem is, there are usually other things we'd rather be doing than sleeping, and plenty of other things that we'd rather be sleeping instead of doing. And the problem is, to fit both sets of things in, you have to just not sleep. Blech.

Sarevok and a box full of Krispy Kreme... ye gods, Bhaalspawn suffered less cruel fates.

Pretty much. :twisted:

And speaking of donuts, a guy I used to work for bought a big sheet of the Krispy Kremes from the factory on the way home from a bike race he'd just done. And he was hungry. And they were warm and yummy. And he ate the whole thing. Was sick for two days. It was kinda funny.

That's not smart. I remember once doing this marathon where we watched the last story arc of DS9... not the last season, just the last few episodes of it. We stuffed ourselves on doughnuts, Cheddar & Sour Cream Ruffles, Pizza Hut pizza, and Coke. Oh, good Lord, that was awful... and yet awful in a good way, too. :D

But not as funny as the time he ate most of jar of halapeno stuffed olives before karate class. That was hilarious.

And, most likely, the amount of funny was directly proportional to the amount of burning the guy suffered?

Sarevok: "Graw!!! Bearclaw! Mine!!" *rip* *munch* "Much better. And sorry about the shirt Kell."

Enara: "MY HAND!"

Heheheh.. that's a funny image. She's buried in paperwork.

Like I said in one of my other replies, I wanted to put in a bit where she just starts yelling at Valygar because she's so mad at Enara and needs to let it out. But I couldn't find a way to fit it in. :twisted:

It is a good word.

I like it.

A little scuzzy yes, but allowing Kell to handle the evildoer isn't probably the worst course either. And someone does have to police the police.

Yeah, I just don't see the "normal" Keldorn as being so cold. I can certainly see him dedicated to finding corruption amongst the police force, but I can't really see him as ever losing his sense of good will towards other people. He just seems like a very caring, compassionate, and friendly guy. And he's not that way, here... which is very jarring for me.

It was done by an individual walking into the Mended Drum in Anhk Morpork and when asked what his name was, giving it.

Unfortunately for him, it was Vincent the Invincible.

The title was not 100% accurate.

I imagine it wasn't. :twisted:

Yeah, but these are the Fallen Ones, the corrupt. They're worse than the crazy.

Arguably, yes.

Enara: "If you want to be diplomatic about it, yeah."

This should be good. Really good. Nar kicking Korgan around the block.

Oh, hell yes. :wink:

#12 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:57 PM

my version of notemeal...

"...as the puffed soymeal dipped in artificial honey and artificial cinnamon dropped on the smooth ceramic of the cereal bowl, each note shaped vitamin fortified crunchy gave off a clear musical note. Each piece of cereal was made with computer generated hollow micro resonance chambers and acoustic baffles, designed to emit a single pure note. The smart cereal box was designed to drop individual notes in a sequence, playing a lively tune. This time it was "Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles.

Nalia immediately added the soymilk, and as the white frothy liquid covered each note, the notes gurgled as they drowned."

good. keldorn was the better choice.

4. Opening sequence (The parts with the cereal eating) are, yet again, bits modified from Neal Stephenson's book Cryptonomicon. I thought they were funny. :twisted:

you are seriously disturbed...i can't stand cereal myself... :twisted:

i've read somewhere that the makers of "Second Chance" ballistic vests recieve thousands of mail every year thanking them for saving their lives...

isaea is such a popular guy to use as a major scumbucket...

World-class cereal-eating is a dance of fine compromises. The giant heaping bowl of sodden cereal, awash in milk, is the mark of the novice. Ideally, one wants the bone-dry cereal nuggets and the cryogenic milk to enter the mouth with minimal contact and for the entire reaction between them to take place in the mouth. Since the current state of human cereal-eating technology is not yet on par with such a challenge, the next best thing is to work in small increments, putting only a small amount of cereal in the bowl at a time, and eating it all up before it becomes a pit of loathsome slime, which, in the case of Cap’n Crunch, takes about thirty seconds.

I could never even begin to stand captain crunch...when i used to eat ceral, honey combs for me...

He poured the milk in with one hand, while jamming the spoon in with the other, not wanting to waste a single moment of the magical, golden time when cold milk and Cap’n Crunch are together, but have not yet begun to pollute each other’s essential natures: two Platonic ideals separated by a boundary a molecule wide. Anomen, of course, uses whole milk, because otherwise, why bother? Anything less is indistinguishable from water, and as far as he knows, the fat in whole milk acts as some kind of a buffer that retards the dissolution-into-slime process.

anomen NEEDS a life...

A few drops of milk came off the bottom of his spoon, but were caught by the freshly washed beard he’d been growing underneath his chin for as long as he could remember. He set the container of milk down, grabbed a paper napkin from the holder on the table, and lifted it to his chin, using a pinching motion to sort of lift the drops of milk from his whiskers, as opposed to smashing and smearing them down into the beard. Most of his concentration, however, was fixed on the interior of his mouth, which, naturally, he couldn’t see, but could easily imagine in three dimensions. At this critical moment, a novice would likely lose his cool and simply chomp down. A few of the nuggets would explode between his molars, but then the jaw would snap shut and drive all of the unshattered nuggets straight up into the palate, where their armor of razor-sharp dextrose crystals would inflict massive collateral damage, turning the rest of the meal into a sort of pain-hazed death march and rendering said novice Novocain-mute for three days.

yoiks...captain crunch is dangerous... :twisted:

anomen NEEDS a life..

anomen: like a root canal without novacaine...

why is it that laska, enara, lynn, and most/all of the women heroines written in the attic have horrible messes in their pads?

hmm..tempted to make jessie the neat freak and imoen the slob... :wink:

csu: urm...Mr Grisom, thank you for your application, however we're not looking for someone with your qualifications at this time...

Gil Grisom: what, you mean actually competent? :D

mazzy: oh great, more with the short jokes...groan..

Alpha: what's up, short round? :D

another reason for her to take the masked vigilante route...

imoen: but you look so good in pink!!!

enara: :twisted:

yeah...you got it right, a cynical, world weary keldorn...

obviously she's a shoot by seat of pants sort of gal..

:twisted:

yar...

jessie: urm...hey nar, wanna borrow my air gun?

enara: air gun?

jessie: yeah, its a ring with a big bezel...it actually contains a large amount of metallic hydrogen...hydrogen gas compressed so small it's actually metallic...you punch someone, and the gas is vented out the ring...the gas is released at such high speeds, that it is almost as dense as metal...it will shatter steel, punch through a concrete wall, and has an incredible effect on humans...

enara: jan is so cool... :P :twisted: :twisted:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

#13 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 31 August 2005 - 12:36 AM

my version of notemeal...

That's almost as disturbing as the text I "borrowed." :twisted:

good. keldorn was the better choice.

Yes, yes, you were right. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!

:wink:

you are seriously disturbed...i can't stand cereal myself...

At all?

I actually used to eat Cap'n Crunch as I kid. I like the stuff. Anyway, I guess it was partly that that made the text from Cryptonomicon so funny to me.

i've read somewhere that the makers of "Second Chance" ballistic vests recieve thousands of mail every year thanking them for saving their lives...

I can imagine they would.

anomen NEEDS a life...

He's a bachelor, and he's a cop, and he's practically married to his job. This IS his life. :P

why is it that laska, enara, lynn, and most/all of the women heroines written in the attic have horrible messes in their pads?

Actually, Falynn's neat. She's not a "neat freak," but she's not a slob. No, really, she's not. :twisted: Enara is, but that was only because I found it funny to make her one for this piece. :D

csu: urm...Mr Grisom, thank you for your application, however we're not looking for someone with your qualifications at this time...

Gil Grisom: what, you mean actually competent?

Some of them aren't incompetent, they're just crooks. :twisted:

mazzy: oh great, more with the short jokes...groan..

She's not gonna be short here... at least not unusually short. :twisted:

another reason for her to take the masked vigilante route...

imoen: but you look so good in pink!!!

http://en.wikipedia....Birdsprey84.jpg

Could we put her in the Huntress outfit, instead? :D

obviously she's a shoot by seat of pants sort of gal..

Right. And while Falynn sometimes goes that route herself, she's more of a tactician than Enara is.

Anyway, working on the conclusion. Almost done. :twisted:

#14 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:36 PM

Anyway, for what it's worth:

http://www.karwal.dk...ortal/index.htm

Go to the "Custom Work" section. Second portrait from the left. That's the one I used in-game for Enara. The version I have doesn't have the weird gray marking over her left eye. Otherwise, that's her. :twisted:

Cool. I love that sight myself. I've used a few of the portraits for my characters, Bran for his walkthrough of BG2 (without blasters made him unhappy) used the Christian Bale pic, Marcus used the Schwartzenegger picture... I don't know why, but it was just funny.

Is there any particular reason why your version of Imoen doesn't like him? :twisted:

Long story. Maybe I'll write that one someday. But it goes back to their Academy (before Imoen's transfer to Intel) days and a chance meeting later in their careers.

And, most likely, the amount of funny was directly proportional to the amount of burning the guy suffered?

Well, that and the flatulence. :twisted: It's kinda funny when sensai starts ripping some serious gas. ;)

Enara: "MY HAND!"

Dr. Aerie: "I..It will be okay. I should be able to repair most of the damage."

Yeah, I just don't see the "normal" Keldorn as being so cold. I can certainly see him dedicated to finding corruption amongst the police force, but I can't really see him as ever losing his sense of good will towards other people. He just seems like a very caring, compassionate, and friendly guy. And he's not that way, here... which is very jarring for me.

Yeah... I suppose that is the jarring thing there... that Keldy wouldn't do it himself. It seems a much more bitter Keldorn, or at least cynical.

Enara: "If you want to be diplomatic about it, yeah."

Bran: "I'd rather just grab a pulse pistol and just take out the trash."

This should be good. Really good. Nar kicking Korgan around the block.

Oh, hell yes. :twisted:

Hehehehehehe. ;) ;) ;)

#15 Weyoun

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:53 PM

Lock her in the closet. It always works on Laska.

*crash sounds in the background.

Oh, crap... Better start running now.

Laska : Cool! GTA! I wanna steal a bike and drive around on it.

Cool! Korgan's got it made in the shade. :lol:

Find the bullet.

Well, you can always bid on it. :roll:

“What is it?”

"I, the Jury," by Spillane. :shock:

He blinked. “I’m sorry?”

Hey, blame it on Seinfeld. :D

“Gary Watson.”

For some reason, I get the mental image of Radar O'Reilly as a bad-ass gang-member. It's not pretty. :D

“- M.C.U. bitch…” someone in the crowd said. She ignored him.

MCU?

He turned in his seat, following a pull from his beer bottle with a drag from his cigarette.

Now I know Korgan ain't a dwarf. He'd never run the risk of setting his alcohol soaked beard on fire. :D

Ooh, cliffhanger
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#16 Laufey

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:59 PM

4. Opening sequence (The parts with the cereal eating) are, yet again, bits modified from Neal Stephenson's book Cryptonomicon. I thought they were funny. :lol:

Never ever would have guessed that eating cereal could be so compex! :shock:

Oh dear. I *am* fond of Ano, really I am, but this is just excessively anal.

He blinked. “I’m sorry?”

Oooh, I want to borrow him! He could clean up my place.

I would have liked to help! With the cornflakes detail that is, not the paperwork. :roll:

Charming guys.

Um...yeah. Seems likely to me he won't be the only one to follow her outside, so I really have to question her judgment here.
Rogues do it from behind.

#17 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:33 AM

Well, you can always bid on it.

Yeah, considering how little these guys get paid, it's really doubtful they can afford to blow ten grand on one of these little souvenirs.

For some reason, I get the mental image of Radar O'Reilly as a bad-ass gang-member. It's not pretty.

Except Radar is Gary Burghoff, not Gary Watson. :shock:

:roll:

MCU?

Major Crimes Unit.

As the beat cops call it, the Queers and Minorities Unit. :lol:

Ooh, cliffhanger

Ooooooohhh... mysteeeeerious. :D

#18 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:37 AM

Never ever would have guessed that eating cereal could be so compex!

Me neither. I guess I was one of those novices that would just chomp down and end up destroying the roof of my mouth in the process. And yet, I was big on the Cap'n Crunch as a kid. Go figure.

Oh dear. I *am* fond of Ano, really I am, but this is just excessively anal.

Can't be lawful good without a bit of anal retentiveness. :roll:

Oooh, I want to borrow him! He could clean up my place.

I'd get him to like organize my DVD collection or something. Yeesh.

I would have liked to help! With the cornflakes detail that is, not the paperwork.

"Pissing in someone's cornflakes" is a pretty common phrase, but I really don't want to picture anyone -actually- doing that. It seems kinda... ewwww...

Charming guys.

Unfortunately, despite the efforts of Gotham's -good- cops, there are still plenty who really don't deserve that badge. This bar is full of 'em.

Um...yeah. Seems likely to me he won't be the only one to follow her outside, so I really have to question her judgment here.

Mmmmm... I'd disagree... I mean, it's not like they'd kill her or anything. I mean, for one thing, they'd never manage to get away with that. And since they can't exactly kill her, if Korgan "cheated" and got his friends to help beat her up, he'd never live it down. That's not something he could abide, I think... (Shrug)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com