Gotham Central XII: Motive (Part 6)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:40 AM

Notemeal:

Ok, kids, here we go:

Next to last section. One more after this should wrap everything up. Have fun. :)

-----

“Don’t be an idiot, man…” Nate had his gun out in front of him, the barrel pointed directly at Joseph Rigger, the man suspected of being the arsonist known as Firebug. The barrel of the nine-millimeter handgun barely wavered as he and the other cops gathered around him stared their target down.

Rigger was standing next to an old, beaten-down recliner chair. The upholstery was old, ratty, and this close to falling apart. A TV-dinner tray sat on a foldaway table propped up between the television and the chair. The man was rail-thin and balding, patches of scarred skin standing out all across his arms and bare legs. He trembled, the remote control in his hands shaking as his fist quivered around it. He slowly stepped backwards, away from the chair, towards the window behind him.

He flipped the television remote into the air and dove for the window.

“Screw you!”

The Q.R.T. officer crouched next to Sergeant Sarevok Anchev made to pull the trigger on his submachine gun, but the Sarge’s loud, rumbling voice stopped him. “Hold your fire!” he yelled, and the half-dozen officers still in the hallway behind him lowered their weapons and stood down.

Enara, still in disbelief over what had just happened, moved to the shattered window. “He… he just jumped out the window…” she said, clearly in shock. “Wonderful.”

Sarevok grunted. “Guess no one likes us anymore, Enara.”

By this point, Delryn and Patton had finished sweeping through the other rooms of the apartment. They hadn’t had enough time to complete a detailed search, but they didn’t seem too optimistic about finding anything important. “No luck on the super-villain suit, Sarge…” Nate said, shaking his head. He holstered his department issue and scratched the back of his neck. “Has to be stored at another location. Question is, where?”

Anomen had joined Enara and Sarevok by the broken window. He looked down. Two stories below, the broken body of Joseph Rigger, dressed only in an undershirt and loose-fitting boxer shorts was lying sprawled out on the roof of a car. The windshield had shattered, and the metal roof had caved slightly from the impact. Rigger himself wasn’t moving. “Is… is he still alive?”

A radio transmission from one of the units down below answered his question. “Suspect is still alive,” came the reply, only slightly garbled by transmission static. “Looks like he broke some bones, though. EMTs are pulling up now…”

Anchev snorted. “Score one for the good guys…”

-----

Holding Cells
Gotham Central
June 27th – 6:45 P.M.

Enara scribbled her signature down on the sign-up sheet (It was still kind of difficult to write with her hands bandaged) and handed the clipboard back through the grill-covered window that separated her and Anomen from the officer working inside the “Cage.”

“Heya, Detective… your ‘package’ is in Cell Three.”

She nodded and flashed a brief smile at the older police officer. “Thanks, Jerry. How’re Phyllis and the twins?”

He smiled. “Just fine. Nice of you to ask. You take care today, all right, Detectives?”

“We always do,” said Anomen, reassuringly.

Once out of earshot, however, Enara looked up and smirked at her partner. “I don’t.”

He chuckled. “True. But no need to trouble Officer Bertinelli with that. He would only worry about you.”

She rolled her eyes. “Can’t have that. Guy’s only six months away from retiring. He’s got enough problems. So,” she said, nudging him in the ribs. “What’s the deal with you and the Feds?”

He shrugged. “I was never an actual Federal agent. Only a cadet.”

“Okay, but why did you give it up?”

“I got to know a few agents, they warned me about the boredom level and such.”

She shot him an incredulous expression. “Couldn’t be worse than being a cop.”

“Much, actually. For every time they come barging into our affairs, claiming jurisdiction over them, they’re required to file hundreds of reports and forms beforehand.”

Enara snickered. “I can barely get my reports in on time as it is.”

He chuckled at the small joke. “Precisely. Besides, if I wished to spend my days typing, I would have joined the I.R.S.”

She made a “gun” motion with her hand. “Except those bums can’t carry firearms.”

Anomen barked out a laugh in response to her comment. “Enara, they hardly need to.”

She grinned. “You’ve got a point.”

By this point, she and Anomen had arrived in front of Holding Cell # 3. The lights were still mostly off, so it was difficult to see inside the cell, but there was just enough illumination to make out a human silhouette draped across the cot inside. Enara rapped the side of her coffee mug against one of the bars to get the prisoner’s attention. “Good evening, Mister Yancy,” she said, smoothly, “I hope a day in lockup has cooled you off.”

William Yancy cracked one eye open and stared at the two cops just outside his cell. Sober now, and far more lucid than he’d been the previous night, he easily recognized them. He sat up, then moved to the edge of the cot to get closer to the bars. He scratched at his thick, brown beard with one hand, and pointed accusingly at the two detectives with the other. “You… you’ve got no right to keep me here,” he said, his voice sounding mostly in control with only a slight bit of strain. “No right. I renounced my citizenship in ’87,” he announced. “The American government’s got no authority over me.” He folded his arms across his chest.

Anomen and Enara traded amused expressions out of the corners of their eyes. “Well, Mister Yancy,” said Enara, “I’m sorry to inform you that even non-citizens like yourself get thrown in jail when they attack police.”

He shook his head and growled. “Aw, that’s bunk. I didn’t know you were cops.”

“Given how high your blood-alcohol level was last night, I do not doubt that at all,” Anomen quipped. He flipped through the file folder he held in his hands, confirming a few things on the sheets of paper stored away inside. “So that begs the question: who did you think we were?”

“People who wrecked my house last week… tryin’ to drive me out’ve my own home.”

Enara asked the next question. “Local yuppies don’t want you in their park, is that it?”

“Screw what they want.” He jerked a thumb at himself. “I grew up there, they just showed up after the developers ruined everything.” He got to his feet and turned his back at them, closing his eyes, and facing the far wall, seemingly having nothing more to say.

Anomen’s next query got Yancy to open his eyes again and turn back around. “Is that why you killed Bonnie Lewis?” the detective asked. “To get back at them?”

“What’re you talking about?” He had turned back around, slowly, and when he did, the two officers could see his eyes were wide with shock. He walked to the front of the cell, leaned his chin against one of the horizontal bars, and wrapped his hands around two of the vertical ones. “Someone killed her?”

“Yeah, you know, that girl who used to bring you food?” Enara said, ramping up the accusatory tone in her voice. “Her brains got bashed in last Thursday night. We found one of her library books buried in the remains of your house.”

Clearly stunned, Yancy stepped back from the bars of the cell, his hands held high and spread wide. “Whoa… whoa, just a minute. She lent me that book. I swear it.”

Anomen looked skeptical. He scratched at his beard. “Really?”

“Yeah, she borrowed books for me all the time. She wasn’t like the rest of them… she understood my cause. She would bring me books, and food and stuff on her way through the park.” His hands clenched into angry fists as he spoke. “She’d talk to me about how much she hated the hypocrites she was working for. She couldn’t stand those people any more than I could.”

“What about last Thursday?” Anomen continued his questioning, “The night of the 15th… did you see her that night?”

“No… she was supposed to pick up that book on her way home. But she never showed up. I waited for her, too. Then the next day some son of a bitch sets my house on fire.” He shook his head and grumbled. “I should be the one filing the complaint here. But I swear to you, I would never’ve hurt Bonnie… don’t you understand? She was the only ally I had.”

-----

Squadroom: Major Crimes Unit
Gotham Central

Lieutenant Probson leaned back against a row of metal file cabinets. He folded his arms across his chest and sighed wearily, having just been briefed on the results of William Yancy’s interrogation. “So, where does that leave us?”

Enara put her head down on her desk and rubbed her eyes. “I don’t know, Lieutenant. He says he’ll take a polygraph if we want, but I’m pretty sure he’ll pass it.” Annoyed, she thumped her fist against the wooden surface of her desk.

“Still holding him just in case?” Probson asked.

Anomen was half-sitting, half-leaning backwards against the edge of Enara’s desk. He reached out and put a hand on her shoulder, then nodded in response to Probson’s question. “We figured it would be best to keep him in custody. At least until we decide what to do about the assault charge.”

The Lieutenant grimaced. “This sucks, Detectives.”

Enara had folded her arms across the surface of her desk, and was resting her head on them. Her reply came out slightly muffled. “It does. But I just don’t see this guy being able to do the whole bogus E-mail ransom fax, either.” She sighed. “He’s just some kook, thinks the government’s screwing him in the ear.” She trailed off, and the room was silent for a few minutes, each of the three police officers lost in his or her own thoughts, until two more of their squadmates walked in.

“Anchev, Patton… I hope you’ve got some sunshine for me this evening…” Probson said, with more than just a dash of sarcasm.

Nate shrugged. “Well, we’ve got something… not sure how it stacks up, though. We just got back from St. Luke’s,” he said. “Joseph Rigger, you know, that Firebug creep? He broke both arms and a leg during his little swan dive, so now he’s in traction in a hospital bed. We’ve got a guard on him 24/7…” Nat snorted, humorlessly, “not that he’s going anywhere. Anyway, despite the painkillers and crap, he’s pretty lucid. Sarge and I figured we ought to try questioning him, and when we did… well, he’s all hard-luck stories…”

-----

Intensive Care Unit
Saint Luke’s Medical Center
Earlier

“Seriously, man… just look at me. That freakin’ suit ruined my life… I almost died.”

Anchev rolled his eyes at Patton, who merely shrugged. “Right. And when would this’ve been?” asked the Sarge.

Joseph Rigger took a deep breath, inhaling through the tubes stuck into his nose. The movement hurt. “Almost two years ago,” he said. “Mob doc saved my hide, but he couldn’t do anything about the scarring. I couldn’t exactly waltz into the E.R., though, so who was I to complain?”

Anchev snorted. “We’re certainly in agreement that you’re an ugly piece of work, Joey… but how does that prove you’re not our perp on these arson robberies?

Rigger would have pointed if he could, but both his arms had been casted-up and were completely immobilized. “I don’t even have a Firebug suit, anymore,” he told them. “I sold my backup online a year ago.”

Nate frowned, not at all sure he believed what he was being told. “You can do that?” he asked, still dubious about this whole matter, “Just sell your super-villain junk on E-bay or some place?”

Sarevok’s tone positively dripped with scorn. “Seems to me like that would be some kind of a felony.”

“It’s an underground auction house,” Rigger explained, “started out of Keystone City. Anyway, my merchandise was clearly advertised as being for collectors only.

The Sarge didn’t look very happy with that argument. In fact, he looked to be rather galled by it, actually. “Let me get this straight. You sold your totally illegal flying arson suit, but it’s okay because you said it was for collectors only?”

Either Joseph Rigger was too stupid to hear the dangerous tone seething behind Anchev’s words, or he simply didn’t care. He, was, after all, already an invalid. “Yeah, I sold it. As memorabilia.” He put extra emphasis on those last two words. “I fought Batman in that suit once. People pay good money for that.”

The Sarge scoffed at that one. “Fought Batman. For all of three seconds.”

Rigger glared back at him. “More’n you.”

That was the last straw. “I don’t need to fight Batman, asshole.” His big, muscular hands wrapped tightly around Joey’s rather scrawny neck and shook. Hard. “I get to fight morons with freeze rays and fear gas all year long.”

“Ukkk!”

Patton forced his way between the two of them. “Ease off, Sarge!” He tried to push Sarevok back and away from the hospital bed.

“That’s police brutality!” Rigger was still trying not to choke on his own saliva.

Nate might not have wanted Sarevok to throttle the man to death, but other than that, he didn’t much care about the little punk’s welfare. He whirled around, clearly not at all sympathetic to the complaint. “Shut up, Joey, and listen to your options. You can either do hard time for selling an illegal, dangerous weapon, or you can give up the guy who bought the suit. It’s your choice.”

“I… I don’t know his name. It was a blind auction.”

Nate shrugged. “Guess we can’t help you, then-“ He flipped his blazer over his shoulders and pulled the door to the hallway open.

“Wait! Wait! I can identify him! I don’t know his name, but I did meet him once… just… just to show him how everything worked…”

Sarevok glared bullets at him. “… to show him how the memorabilia worked?”

-----

Squadroom: Major Crimes Unit
Present

“… anyway, he swears on his mother’s grave – and she’s still alive, I checked – that the guy who bought the stupid suit is some rich white guy. So it looks like we’ve got some new wannabe out there making good.”

“You going to sit him down with an artist, Sarge?” asked Enara.

“Yeah, they’re wheeling him in later on, I think. Got a guy coming by to do a comp…”

The Lieutenant frowned and turned to head back to his office. “Well, I’m glad to see both our biggest investigations are getting nowhere,” he grumbled backwards, over his shoulder. “I can hardly wait to tell the Commissioner.”

Silently, Anchev, Delryn, Kell, and Patton watched Lieutenant Probson disappear through the door of the squad commander’s office. Nate spoke first. “I didn’t know better, I’d think The Probe just made a funny.”

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:20 AM

Rigger was standing next to an old, beaten-down recliner chair. The upholstery was old, ratty, and this close to falling apart. A TV-dinner tray sat on a foldaway table propped up between the television and the chair. The man was rail-thin and balding, patches of scarred skin standing out all across his arms and bare legs. He trembled, the remote control in his hands shaking as his fist quivered around it. He slowly stepped backwards, away from the chair, towards the window behind him.

He does have a bit of a insect-look about him.

He flipped the television remote into the air and dove for the window.

“Screw you!”

I hope that this bug can’t fly!

Awww, poor Sarry – I like you! :D

Anomen had joined Enara and Sarevok by the broken window. He looked down. Two stories below, the broken body of Joseph Rigger, dressed only in an undershirt and loose-fitting boxer shorts was lying sprawled out on the roof of a car. The windshield had shattered, and the metal roof had caved slightly from the impact. Rigger himself wasn’t moving. “Is… is he still alive?”

Doesn’t look much like a super-villain now, does he?

“We always do,” said Anomen, reassuringly.

Once out of earshot, however, Enara looked up and smirked at her partner. “I don’t.”

You should… :D

William Yancy cracked one eye open and stared at the two cops just outside his cell. Sober now, and far more lucid than he’d been the previous night, he easily recognized them. He sat up, then moved to the edge of the cot to get closer to the bars. He scratched at his thick, brown beard with one hand, and pointed accusingly at the two detectives with the other. “You… you’ve got no right to keep me here,” he said, his voice sounding mostly in control with only a slight bit of strain. “No right. I renounced my citizenship in ’87,” he announced. “The American government’s got no authority over me.” He folded his arms across his chest.

Now, wouldn’t that be a convenient way out… if it would work. :D

Anomen’s next query got Yancy to open his eyes again and turn back around. “Is that why you killed Bonnie Lewis?” the detective asked. “To get back at them?”

Somehow, I don’t think he’s your guy either.

“No… she was supposed to pick up that book on her way home. But she never showed up. I waited for her, too. Then the next day some son of a bitch sets my house on fire.” He shook his head and grumbled. “I should be the one filing the complaint here. But I swear to you, I would never’ve hurt Bonnie… don’t you understand? She was the only ally I had.”

They don’t really have much to pin him down, do they… well, except for assaulting a cop, but… like I said, he doesn’t seem to be the one they’re looking for.

On a separate note – I could see someone like him being framed for it, if the police were really desperate to get a result for the case… you know, some evidence scattered around and such. Bums like these often get the blame for something that’s not their fault.

Enara had folded her arms across the surface of her desk, and was resting her head on them. Her reply came out slightly muffled. “It does. But I just don’t see this guy being able to do the whole bogus E-mail ransom fax, either.”

Precisely… it would be hard to tie it on him, even if you desperately wanted to…

Rigger would have pointed if he could, but both his arms had been casted-up and were completely immobilized. “I don’t even have a Firebug suit, anymore,” he told them. “I sold my backup online a year ago.”

Oh, that’s just ridiculous – can they ever catch the right person after all? This is getting a bit out of hand… I’m not sure the high-ups won’t start to view this as bumbling incompetence.

The Sarge didn’t look very happy with that argument. In fact, he looked to be rather galled by it, actually. “Let me get this straight. You sold your totally illegal flying arson suit, but it’s okay because you said it was for collectors only?”

Hey, he probably put a disclaimer on it. Or some such… :D

That was the last straw. “I don’t need to fight Batman, asshole.” His big, muscular hands wrapped tightly around Joey’s rather scrawny neck and shook. Hard. “I get to fight morons with freeze rays and fear gas all year long.”

“Ukkk!”

Go Sarry! :)

“That’s police brutality!” Rigger was still trying not to choke on his own saliva.

Tell it to someone who cares, scumbag. :D

“Wait! Wait! I can identify him! I don’t know his name, but I did meet him once… just… just to show him how everything worked…”

I hope they can nail this jerk with some kind of sentence, too.

The Lieutenant frowned and turned to head back to his office. “Well, I’m glad to see both our biggest investigations are getting nowhere,” he grumbled backwards, over his shoulder. “I can hardly wait to tell the Commissioner.”

Yeah, I can just see him getting a bit displeased about the progress there… hopefully our cops will have better luck in the last episode.

#3 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 11 August 2005 - 07:10 PM

Notemeal:

Ok, kids, here we go:

Next to last section. One more after this should wrap everything up. Have fun. :)

Aye aye skipper. :D

“Don’t be an idiot, man…” Nate had his gun out in front of him, the barrel pointed directly at Joseph Rigger, the man suspected of being the arsonist known as Firebug.

Firebug: "But it's so much FUN!"

Imoen: "Nice place. Love what he's done with the carpet."

Bran: "Uh sis, that's not carpet."

Imoen: "Eww! Gross!"

“Screw you!”

Unfortunately he forgot his Superman Underoos, so he could not fly.

Enara, still in disbelief over what had just happened, moved to the shattered window. “He… he just jumped out the window…” she said, clearly in shock. “Wonderful.”

Have a nice trip, see ya next fall.

Sarry, its the glowering and the glowing eyes, kinda off putting. :D

By this point, Delryn and Patton had finished sweeping through the other rooms of the apartment. They hadn’t had enough time to complete a detailed search, but they didn’t seem too optimistic about finding anything important. “No luck on the super-villain suit, Sarge…” Nate said, shaking his head. He holstered his department issue and scratched the back of his neck. “Has to be stored at another location. Question is, where?”

Easy, at the Super Cleaners. :D

*snigger*

A radio transmission from one of the units down below answered his question. “Suspect is still alive,” came the reply, only slightly garbled by transmission static. “Looks like he broke some bones, though. EMTs are pulling up now…”

Anchev snorted. “Score one for the good guys…”

I wonder if Gotham City insurance covers acts of SuperVillains?

“Heya, Detective… your ‘package’ is in Cell Three.”

Young Cop: "But my package is right here!"

Enara: *kicks cop in groin* "You sure?"

Older Cop: *laughs*

Well, whose fault is that? :P

She rolled her eyes. “Can’t have that. Guy’s only six months away from retiring. He’s got enough problems. So,” she said, nudging him in the ribs. “What’s the deal with you and the Feds?”

He shrugged. “I was never an actual Federal agent. Only a cadet.”

“Okay, but why did you give it up?”

Anomen: "I just couldn't get the hang of shouting "I am an Eff Bee Eye Agent with the proper slowwitted intensity."

“Much, actually. For every time they come barging into our affairs, claiming jurisdiction over them, they’re required to file hundreds of reports and forms beforehand.”

Ahhh paperwork. :D

He chuckled at the small joke. “Precisely. Besides, if I wished to spend my days typing, I would have joined the I.R.S.”

She made a “gun” motion with her hand. “Except those bums can’t carry firearms.”

Actually, they do. They have their own swat teams to bust tax evaders and take your stuff. In fact, they've got one of the worst track records in limiting the violence.

Anomen barked out a laugh in response to her comment. “Enara, they hardly need to.”

True enough.. those calculators are lethal.

Ahh.. one of these.

Anomen and Enara traded amused expressions out of the corners of their eyes. “Well, Mister Yancy,” said Enara, “I’m sorry to inform you that even non-citizens like yourself get thrown in jail when they attack police.”

Pretty much.

He shook his head and growled. “Aw, that’s bunk. I didn’t know you were cops.”

Still doesn't change the fact that you did sonny.

“Given how high your blood-alcohol level was last night, I do not doubt that at all,” Anomen quipped. He flipped through the file folder he held in his hands, confirming a few things on the sheets of paper stored away inside. “So that begs the question: who did you think we were?”

Imoen: "You know, I've tried that defense before."

Bran: "How did it turn out?"

Imoen: "They didn't shoot me did they?"

Bran: "If you can't tell, they must have at least tagged some brain matter."

Imoen: "Shove it."

“People who wrecked my house last week… tryin’ to drive me out’ve my own home.”

That could piss someone off.

Enara asked the next question. “Local yuppies don’t want you in their park, is that it?”

“Screw what they want.” He jerked a thumb at himself. “I grew up there, they just showed up after the developers ruined everything.” He got to his feet and turned his back at them, closing his eyes, and facing the far wall, seemingly having nothing more to say.

Yuppies. Are. Evil. They took over my favorite bar and now when you go to sing along with the good bawdy Irish songs, they just stare at you like you are some diseased crazy person. Hate them.

“What’re you talking about?” He had turned back around, slowly, and when he did, the two officers could see his eyes were wide with shock. He walked to the front of the cell, leaned his chin against one of the horizontal bars, and wrapped his hands around two of the vertical ones. “Someone killed her?”

I'm getting the sense that he isn't so much the killer....

“Yeah, you know, that girl who used to bring you food?” Enara said, ramping up the accusatory tone in her voice. “Her brains got bashed in last Thursday night. We found one of her library books buried in the remains of your house.”

Clearly stunned, Yancy stepped back from the bars of the cell, his hands held high and spread wide. “Whoa… whoa, just a minute. She lent me that book. I swear it.”

Anomen looked skeptical. He scratched at his beard. “Really?”

“Yeah, she borrowed books for me all the time. She wasn’t like the rest of them… she understood my cause. She would bring me books, and food and stuff on her way through the park.” His hands clenched into angry fists as he spoke. “She’d talk to me about how much she hated the hypocrites she was working for. She couldn’t stand those people any more than I could.”

Interesting.... very interesting...

“What about last Thursday?” Anomen continued his questioning, “The night of the 15th… did you see her that night?”

So, somebody is lying here. And I think I know who. :D

Enara put her head down on her desk and rubbed her eyes. “I don’t know, Lieutenant. He says he’ll take a polygraph if we want, but I’m pretty sure he’ll pass it.” Annoyed, she thumped her fist against the wooden surface of her desk.

Another dead end, or is it?

Anomen was half-sitting, half-leaning backwards against the edge of Enara’s desk. He reached out and put a hand on her shoulder, then nodded in response to Probson’s question. “We figured it would be best to keep him in custody. At least until we decide what to do about the assault charge.”

Good point...

Nate shrugged. “Well, we’ve got something… not sure how it stacks up, though. We just got back from St. Luke’s,” he said. “Joseph Rigger, you know, that Firebug creep? He broke both arms and a leg during his little swan dive, so now he’s in traction in a hospital bed. We’ve got a guard on him 24/7…” Nat snorted, humorlessly, “not that he’s going anywhere. Anyway, despite the painkillers and crap, he’s pretty lucid. Sarge and I figured we ought to try questioning him, and when we did… well, he’s all hard-luck stories…”

That's just funny. Dumbbell.

“Seriously, man… just look at me. That freakin’ suit ruined my life… I almost died.”

Shouldn't play with fire....

Joseph Rigger took a deep breath, inhaling through the tubes stuck into his nose. The movement hurt. “Almost two years ago,” he said. “Mob doc saved my hide, but he couldn’t do anything about the scarring. I couldn’t exactly waltz into the E.R., though, so who was I to complain?”

Hmm.. good point...

He sold his supervillain suit? There's a market for those?

Wait... of course there are.

Nate frowned, not at all sure he believed what he was being told. “You can do that?” he asked, still dubious about this whole matter, “Just sell your super-villain junk on E-bay or some place?”

Sarevok’s tone positively dripped with scorn. “Seems to me like that would be some kind of a felony.”

Selling evidence in a felony case.. yeah.

“It’s an underground auction house,” Rigger explained, “started out of Keystone City. Anyway, my merchandise was clearly advertised as being for collectors only.

Just like fully automatic firearms are labeled in NH.

Bwahahaha... now that's a leap of logic.

Either Joseph Rigger was too stupid to hear the dangerous tone seething behind Anchev’s words, or he simply didn’t care. He, was, after all, already an invalid. “Yeah, I sold it. As memorabilia.” He put extra emphasis on those last two words. “I fought Batman in that suit once. People pay good money for that.”

The Sarge scoffed at that one. “Fought Batman. For all of three seconds.”

Batman and memorabilia... funny...

Rigger glared back at him. “More’n you.”

Well... yeah.

“Ukkk!”

Bran: "Good."

Cop: *hits one of the casts with a nightstick* "No it ain't. You'll know it when ya feel it, punk."

This guy is... toast

“… anyway, he swears on his mother’s grave – and she’s still alive, I checked – that the guy who bought the stupid suit is some rich white guy. So it looks like we’ve got some new wannabe out there making good.”

Hmm... interesting little tidbit there. :D

“You going to sit him down with an artist, Sarge?” asked Enara.

“Yeah, they’re wheeling him in later on, I think. Got a guy coming by to do a comp…”

I bet I know who it is too.

Silently, Anchev, Delryn, Kell, and Patton watched Lieutenant Probson disappear through the door of the squad commander’s office. Nate spoke first. “I didn’t know better, I’d think The Probe just made a funny.”

Imoen: "Nah. Just a temporary brain abberation."

Interesting little mystery, but I do think the pieces have come together.

VH

#4 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:34 AM

Doesn’t look much like a super-villain now, does he?

Most don't when they're out of costume.

You should…

Maybe.

But then again, Enara's never really been the cautious type. She lives life too aggressively for that. :D

Now, wouldn’t that be a convenient way out… if it would work.

I think "if" is the operative word, there. :)

On a separate note – I could see someone like him being framed for it, if the police were really desperate to get a result for the case… you know, some evidence scattered around and such. Bums like these often get the blame for something that’s not their fault.

True, but these cops want to find the real killer. They're not interested in meeting quotas or anything like that.

Oh, that’s just ridiculous – can they ever catch the right person after all? This is getting a bit out of hand… I’m not sure the high-ups won’t start to view this as bumbling incompetence.

I don't see anything bumbling about it. It's standard police work. Sure, in the movies and in TV, it's always glorified... the veteran detective just "goes with his gut", and suddenly makes a connection that nobody else could see. But it never really works that way in real life. It can't. It's all about following up every lead, and yeah, that means you end up getting pulled in a lot of different directions, and you end up chasing down a whole bunch of false alarms... but that's all part of the job.

I just don't think you can expect them to find the right guy when they don't have any solid leads as to how the real suspect is.

Tell it to someone who cares, scumbag.

Well, how about his attorney? You know, the one who's pushing a lawsuit for pain and suffering and trying to weasel a couple of million dollars out of the Gotham taxpayers? :D

Yeah, I can just see him getting a bit displeased about the progress there… hopefully our cops will have better luck in the last episode.

Well, it -is- the last episode... they kinda have to... :D

#5 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:43 AM

Imoen: "Nice place. Love what he's done with the carpet."

Bran: "Uh sis, that's not carpet."

Imoen: "Eww! Gross!"

I still like the bit from Sluggy:

Torg: "How are we supposed to go clothes shopping if we don't have any clothes to go shopping in? ... Hey, Bert can go! Those moths didn't get the bottom half of his Wookie costume!"

Sasha: "That's not a Wookie costume!"

Torg: "That's NOT RIGHT!"

:)

Sarry, its the glowering and the glowing eyes, kinda off putting.

And the big, spiky armor, too... don't forget that. :)

I wonder if Gotham City insurance covers acts of SuperVillains?

I don't see how it could... any insurance company that tried to insure against that sort of thing would go broke in days.

Young Cop: "But my package is right here!"

Enara: *kicks cop in groin* "You sure?"

Older Cop: *laughs*

Stewie Griffin: (Puts a bottle of talcum powder down the front of his diaper) "Oh, that? That's just my package... yep, my package... y'know, God delivered it, I signed for it..."

Well, whose fault is that?

Hers, of course. I don't think she's going to deny that. :)

Imoen: "You know, I've tried that defense before."

Bran: "How did it turn out?"

Imoen: "They didn't shoot me did they?"

Bran: "If you can't tell, they must have at least tagged some brain matter."

Imoen: "Shove it."

Let's just hope it wasn't the part of her brain that, say, controlled basic bodily functions... we don't want any bladder accidents, here. :D

Yuppies. Are. Evil. They took over my favorite bar and now when you go to sing along with the good bawdy Irish songs, they just stare at you like you are some diseased crazy person. Hate them.

Bah. This is why you take ground, and then you defend it with your life. No intruders, no trespassers, no opportunities for encroachment.

So, somebody is lying here. And I think I know who.

Good good. I'm not terribly good at figuring out mysteries, so I was pretty much blanked while I was reading the original comic. :)

He sold his supervillain suit? There's a market for those?

Wait... of course there are.

Market for more than that... you'll see... er... if I ever get that episode written, I mean. :D

Cop: *hits one of the casts with a nightstick* "No it ain't. You'll know it when ya feel it, punk."

"Yeah, got called in on some stupid domestic... so I started using my stick on both of 'em..." :D

Interesting little mystery, but I do think the pieces have come together.

Excellent. Well, we'll see if your right next time out. :)

#6 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:40 AM

Notemeal:

Ok, kids, here we go:

yay! almost caught up on commenting...and i still managed to get a quarter of next chapter M0N written...the all important backstory about the children of bhaal... :P

whoa...all that alchohol must have relaxed his muscles...like how drunk drivers tend to survive accidents... :(

yeah, she's kinda outa control sometimes...

:lol: :lol: :D

have you ever read Heinlein's short story "Magic Inc."??? and another short story who's title escapes me...its one of R.A.H's more obscure short stories, about how in the magical world, the most powerful federal agents are accountants and irs agents, because they can summon the demons of paperwork on criminals... :D

yar...shiver...

unlike other supervillains, the firebug always struck me as an opportunist, an arsonist with some fairly fancy equipment, a pathetic lowlife scumbucket who just had some good gear...and i can totally see him like this...a loser who's hit bottom...

yeah..even before i read the last chapter, i believed him...just too obvious...

totally believable...he's a loser...

:P :P :P

:wink:

they'd pay more for the antigravity harness and incindiaries...

yeah...that fear gas is some seriously scary stuff...(no joke intended)

another total loser with some good hardware...totally believable...

nah...everyone knows that the Probe has no sense of humor... :P :wink: :wink:

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:44 PM

yay! almost caught up on commenting...

Yay! "Almost" being the operative word. :D

and i still managed to get a quarter of next chapter M0N written...the all important backstory about the children of bhaal...

Lucky you. I haven't been getting much of anything done lately.

yeah, she's kinda outa control sometimes...

She's just a little reckless at times... it's all part of her charm. :lol:

unlike other supervillains, the firebug always struck me as an opportunist, an arsonist with some fairly fancy equipment, a pathetic lowlife scumbucket who just had some good gear...and i can totally see him like this...a loser who's hit bottom...

Do you mean Firebug, or Firefly? I don't know much about Firebug, but Firefly was supposed to be some kind of movie pyrotechnician who got off on burning... well... people... so while he'd never rate as high as the Joker, Two-Face, or even, say, the Penguin, he was still a psycho.

they'd pay more for the antigravity harness and incindiaries...

Not really... ordnance you can get, anywhere... the collectability is the real draw. :lol:

yeah...that fear gas is some seriously scary stuff...

The stuff used in the latest movie was pretty creepy, yeah...

nah...everyone knows that the Probe has no sense of humor...

Totally. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com