Photo

Cards Reshuffled 261

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Laufey

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:00 PM

I'm so behind on commenting it's not even funny. ;) I'll keep on of course, but don't really see how I can hope to catch up until I spend all my waking time doing it. ;)

Cards Reshuffled 261 – The Sphere

There are plenty of forms of travel that I really quite enjoy. Walking is fine, riding is great, travel by ship is at least nice on sunny days. Tumbling through empty space at a pace high enough to make stars fall – that is at best tolerable. If you’ve already eaten breakfast, it’s not even that.

Excerpt from ‘Ruminations Of A Master Bard’

The Planar Sphere was clearly visible from several streets away, a shimmering gray dome that sat in the middle of the slums like an enormous egg in a very untidy bird’s nest. Edwin viewed it with excitement, feeling rather like a small child on Solstice morning.

Imagine the wondrous magic that surely has to be hidden in there – and it is going to be mine, all mine! Well, he would share with his lover, certainly, but he after all was the one of them capable of the more advanced spells, and that meant he could look forward to a veritable treasure trove. Surely a mage as ancient as this Lavok is must have gathered a great arsenal by now. Well, once the ranger has his way with him, he won’t be needing it any longer.

There was really only one cloud obscuring the otherwise blue sky of Edwin’s world. He had tried to contact his teacher last evening, to let him know that he was back in Athkatla. However, Dekaras had not been at the address he had last left, and there had been no message waiting either. He hasn’t entangled himself with…no, he couldn’t have. He may be stubborn enough that he wouldn’t give up watching Bodhi, but surely he wouldn’t confront her or Aerie directly. No, of course he wouldn’t.

Only…suppose something had gone wrong? Edwin nervously fiddled with the amulet at his throat, trying to adjust it. It was still uncomfortably cold to the touch, if not quite as icy as before. There was the taste of burning acid in his mouth as he tried and failed to suppress the hideous scenarios his imagination kept painting.

Boss, don’t! Insufferable, who was sitting on the wizard’s shoulder, now tugged gently at his earlobe, and then patted his cheek. He’s probably just busy with something. It’s not like he keeps regular hours, right? You know that.

Yes…yes, I suppose I do. But…

Come on, I bet you a juicy banana he’s just…er…found himself a nice girl or something and is busy doing hot monkey love with her!

Teacher Dekaras does not take an interest in ‘nice girls’! Stop being preposterous, monkey!

Boys then?

NO! You are trying to annoy me on purpose, aren’t you?

Well, it’s better than you being worried out of your mind, right, Boss?

Edwin snorted, but he had to admit that the monkey had a point. He resolved to make another effort to seek his teacher out as soon as the Sphere had been dealt with, which surely wouldn’t take long. Assuming that magic-hating fool even knows how to get it open, that is.

Valygar, as it happened, was approaching the Sphere with a dreamy, distant, yet apprehensive look on his face. As they drew closer it became that the thing wasn’t simply squeezed in between the houses – it was actually inside some of the houses, passing through walls and ceilings in a way that seemed utterly impossible and gave you a headache if you looked at it for too long. “Yes…” the ranger muttered. “This is the Planar Sphere, here in the slums. If I am right…my blood, my presence…should open the Sphere.”

He shouldered past a crowd of curious onlookers, beggars and vendors selling everything from Planar Sphere models over Planar Sphere teacups, Planar Sphere memento towels and tunics marked ‘I went and saw the Planar Sphere, and all I got was this lousy tunic’. Having reached one of the Sphere-inhabited houses, he pulled the door open, walked inside and disappeared up a dark staircase.

“Well,” Zaerini said, “let’s go then.” She dislodged a halfling trying to sell her a Planar Sphere snowglobe from her right leg and followed Valygar inside: Edwin kept close by her, of course. Not only didn’t he want his lover to walk into potential danger without him, but it also allowed him a very nice view from behind her as she was climbing the steep staircase.

Said staircase lead out onto a balcony, and here, finally, they were able to walk onto a narrow ledge leading up to a plain metal door without either keyhole or doorknob, set high up into the side of the Sphere. Valygar was already standing close by it, his eyes half closed as he seemed to listen to something only he could hear. “He is close…Lavok,” he said, still in that distant, absent-minded voice. “Close, and yet far. He is waiting for me.”

“Then let us not keep him waiting,” Anomen firmly said, thumbing the hilt of the Flail of Ages. “Too long has that mage’s evil been allowed to reign unchecked.”

Valygar simply nodded, and touched the door in front of him, running his hand across the smooth surface. There was a faint click, and then a buzzing sound. The door slid into the wall surrounding it, revealing a dark opening behind. From within the Sphere, a metallic voice spoke.

“DNA pattern matched. Corthala scion detected. You may progress to the vestibule.”

“Well…” Zaerini said, a slightly nervous smile on her face. “Shall we, then?” And before Edwin could suggest that somebody expendable, like perhaps the magic-hating ranger or the Helmite go in first, she stepped inside.

The party found themselves in a round chamber, the walls and floor of which all were made up of the same gray metal. There were three doors, one to the left, one to the right, and one straight ahead, and apart from that the room was completely bare. “This one is locked,” Jaheira announced, having tested the middle door. “There is not so much as a keyhole.”

The right door, however, lead to another small circular room, and unlike the first one this one wasn’t bare. On the floor was what resembled a large glass dome, and inside of it there was a wondrous sight indeed.

”Oh, look Boo!” Minsc exclaimed, holding his hamster up and pointing. “Look at the little houses and the little people! Careful not to frighten them Boo, Heroes of Goodness only squish Evil people and only on purpose.”

Edwin peered inside the globe with great interest. The large clod was actually right for once. Inside the dome there was a representation of the Slum’s District of Athkatla, as a bird might see it from high above. It all seemed fully detailed, he could make out tiny spirals of smoke from the chimneys, see miniature people walking along the streets and even the miniscule white pinpricks that were soaring seagulls. In the middle, there was a smaller replica of the Sphere itself. “A scrying spell of some sort,” he announced. “The Sphere is meant for traveling, and clearly this device provides its owner with a map of the immediate surroundings. See, you can even clearly see the vendors near the north gate. (Not that I normally put much stock in Divination magic, but I suppose for those not blessed with my own superior sense of direction it might be an adequate aid.)”

“Well,” Jaheira said, “Since the gate you are pointing at is the western one, you will forgive me for not bowing down to your ‘superior sense of direction’. My inferior one tells me we should try the remaining door, to begin with.”

“Ah…I was doing that on purpose!” Edwin tried. “I was merely checking that you were all paying proper attention.” It didn’t quite seem as if the others were believing him though, and the fact that he could feel his cheeks heating up didn’t help. I hope my Hellkitten believed me at least.

“Cheer up, Dread Wizard,” Zaerini told him as she came up to put her arm under his, planting a quick kiss on his cheek. “At least I’m paying attention to you.” She winked. “Come on now, let’s go loot this place.”

“Excuse me?” Valygar asked. “We are on a mission to slay my evil ancestor here!”

“Of course we are. But there’s no reason that should stop us from looting on the way there, is there?”

Valygar frowned, but before he managed an answer the redhead had already pressed on. The third and last door swung open easily, and revealed another small and circular room that seemed to be a storage room. It had metal chests stacked all around the walls, all of them closed. It also had a guard, a small clay golem that turned to watch them with unblinking red eyes as they entered the room.

“Intruders detected,” it stated in a calm, impersonal voice. “Order - terminate.”

“You not touch Minsc’s Witch, Evil Clay man!” Minsc bellowed. “If you try, Minsc and Boo will stomp you to bits, mix with water and make you into mud cake! Boo already prepare one for show, see?” He proudly reached into his pocket and displayed a small, flat object that certainly did look like a miniature mudcake. The golem, however, wasn’t impressed. It charged, silently and relentlessly, without thought for its own safety.

It was Anomen who bore the brunt of the attack, him being the only one of the warriors both using a shield and wielding a suitably blunt weapon, not to mention being sturdy enough not to lose his footing as he blocked the golem’s first blow. Edwin wasted no time in observing how the others did, instead he focused on his magic, conjuring tiny flaming rocks that he proceeded to hurl at the golem as fast as he could. Jan and Zaerini did the same, and it wasn’t long before the golem fell, crumbling into bits.

“Feet of clay,” Jan commented. “Not a very practical idea, but still better than my cousin Dudders who had feet made for walking. Prosthesis you see, after paying off a gambling debt that he’d been sure he’d be able to settle. So, being the generous, giving gnome that I am, I made him mechanical feet regulated by his own willpower.”

“Sounds useful enough,” Zaerini asked, as she started rummaging through one of the chests along the walls. “What went wrong?”

“Well, the funny thing is the feet absolutely refused to walk to work, they kept walking down to the Copper Coronet instead. Dudders swore it was a mechanical malfunction, and then he tried to sue me for malpractice. He might even have got away with it, if the feet hadn’t had a really big and extremely accidental glitch on the day of the verdict and kicked the judge on the shins…”

“All’s well that ends well then,” the half-elf said, sounding amused. “Speaking of which, I’ve found something.” What she’d found was a narrow metal rod, one end marked with grooves and notches. “Looks like a key, don’t you think?”

“So it does, your Worship,” Jan agreed. “And where there’s a key, there’s usually a keyhole. Let me take another look.” He brought the key over to the closed door, passing it lightly along the wall. This time, there was a faint ‘blip’, and a panel in the wall slid open, revealing a dark glass screen, a panel with some buttons on it, and a keyhole. “Ha!” Jan said. “Thought so.” He inserted the key into the keyhole, and within seconds the panel came to life, displaying a vaguely outlined male face. The details weren’t very clear, but the bored voice that issued was all the clearer.

“Oh, bother,” it said. “There I’d almost figured out how the horsies move compared to the little houses and you come and bother me. Typical, innit? Right, here goes.” He cleared his throat. “Initiating airlock lockdown. Core ignition sequence initiated.” Edwin jumped as there was a swishing sound behind him, and a metallic thud as the exit door slid shut. Somewhere deep beneath his feet, something started humming loudly.

“Er….Jan?” Zaerini asked, a note of panic in her voice. “What did you just do?”

“Nothing!” The gnome insisted. “Hold on, hold on, I’ll fix it…” He frantically pressed every button imaginable on the panel, then finished off with turning the key again.

“Course plotted,” the bored voice spoke from the screen. “Not that I know why I bother, really, you’ll probably just botch this anyway. Launch in T minus ten seconds.”

“JAN JANSEN!” Jaheira fairly roared, gripping the gnome by his collar and shaking him. “Make it stop right NOW!”

“T-minus nine seconds…” the countdown went on, seemingly oblivious to the argument.

“C-c-c-can’t!”

“T minus eight seconds…”

“WHY NOT?”

“Because you’re sh-sh-sh-shaking me…”

“T minus six seconds…”

“Wait, wait, what about seven?” Edwin protested, pounding on the screen. “You left out the seven, you ignorant piece of nuts and bolts! (Oh, how I would like to take him apart and remake him into a…a device for toasting bread, yes, that seems to suit his level of competence.)”

“Did I?” The voice sounded quite confused, which didn’t inspire any confidence at all.

“Yes!”

“Oh. Well, no harm done. Might as well skip to the end, then. Three, two, one…blast off!”

And so, with a hideous, mind-bending, dimension-jumping lurch, the Planar Sphere hurled screaming into the ether towards an unknown destination.

Next: Back to Dekaras, who is under healer's orders to rest and take it easy. As if...
Rogues do it from behind.

#2 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:33 PM

I'm so behind on commenting it's not even funny. :P I'll keep on of course, but don't really see how I can hope to catch up until I spend all my waking time doing it. :P

Oh, you may safely pass mine. ;) On this weekend, everyone deserves rest and reading Laufey's stories! ;)

Imagine the wondrous magic that surely has to be hidden in there – and it is going to be mine, all mine! Well, he would share with his lover, certainly, but he after all was the one of them capable of the more advanced spells, and that meant he could look forward to a veritable treasure trove. Surely a mage as ancient as this Lavok is must have gathered a great arsenal by now. Well, once the ranger has his way with him, he won’t be needing it any longer.

Edwin definitely has his survival instinct turned off. :P What about monsters, demons, strange dimensions, Lavok? No, he thinks only about scrolls... ;)

Only…suppose something had gone wrong? Edwin nervously fiddled with the amulet at his throat, trying to adjust it. It was still uncomfortably cold to the touch, if not quite as icy as before. There was the taste of burning acid in his mouth as he tried and failed to suppress the hideous scenarios his imagination kept painting.

No worries, Edwin! Whatever you're trying to imagine is irrelevant, I'm sure: your scribe will certainly think of something much, much worse. ;)

Valygar, as it happened, was approaching the Sphere with a dreamy, distant, yet apprehensive look on his face. As they drew closer it became that the thing wasn’t simply squeezed in between the houses – it was actually inside some of the houses, passing through walls and ceilings in a way that seemed utterly impossible and gave you a headache if you looked at it for too long. “Yes…” the ranger muttered. “This is the Planar Sphere, here in the slums. If I am right…my blood, my presence…should open the Sphere.”

*closes her eyes and imagines Xan's droning voice:* "So, we are to bid our last farewell to the sky, before we are to die inside of this... thing. Well, at least, our grave will look remarkable." :P

He shouldered past a crowd of curious onlookers, beggars and vendors selling everything from Planar Sphere models over Planar Sphere teacups, Planar Sphere memento towels and tunics marked ‘I went and saw the Planar Sphere, and all I got was this lousy tunic’.

Yuck! :) But I've seen worse. :) Would quote it here, but it was not politically correct.

“Then let us not keep him waiting,” Anomen firmly said, thumbing the hilt of the Flail of Ages. “Too long has that mage’s evil been allowed to reign unchecked.”

Dear sweet Ano. :P

“Cheer up, Dread Wizard,” Zaerini told him as she came up to put her arm under his, planting a quick kiss on his cheek. “At least I’m paying attention to you.” She winked. “Come on now, let’s go loot this place.”

“Excuse me?” Valygar asked. “We are on a mission to slay my evil ancestor here!”

Yes, I'm sure everyone would feel better if Zaerini would wait until they'd stumble on the first supply of magical treasure. Then she'd raise an eyebrow at Valygar, and he would say: "Help yourself. None of this interests me in the slightest". This way, it'd be more tactful, I think. :D

But as it's Rini and her band... :(

“Intruders detected,” it stated in a calm, impersonal voice. “Order - terminate.”

This golem is better than most of the enemies in BG: at least, he doesn't make a speech. :P

“Feet of clay,” Jan commented. “Not a very practical idea, but still better than my cousin Dudders who had feet made for walking. Prosthesis you see, after paying off a gambling debt that he’d been sure he’d be able to settle. So, being the generous, giving gnome that I am, I made him mechanical feet regulated by his own willpower.”

You know, I've just had a chilling feeling, as if I got inside of your mind. There was a list there: "Dialogue with a familiar - check. Valygar's brooding - check. Minsc's rant about Evil - check. Zaerini and Edwin's cuteness - check. Jaheira's witty remark - check. Jan's story - check." :D Now, let's read to the end of the chapter and see whether the last item, "Evil cliffhanger", presented itself.

“Oh, bother,” it said. “There I’d almost figured out how the horsies move compared to the little houses and you come and bother me. Typical, innit? Right, here goes.” He cleared his throat. “Initiating airlock lockdown. Core ignition sequence initiated.” Edwin jumped as there was a swishing sound behind him, and a metallic thud as the exit door slid shut. Somewhere deep beneath his feet, something started humming loudly.

Let me guess - it was a Linux operating system! ;)

“Nothing!” The gnome insisted. “Hold on, hold on, I’ll fix it…” He frantically pressed every button imaginable on the panel, then finished off with turning the key again.

A big whoops indeed...

“Wait, wait, what about seven?” Edwin protested, pounding on the screen. “You left out the seven, you ignorant piece of nuts and bolts! (Oh, how I would like to take him apart and remake him into a…a device for toasting bread, yes, that seems to suit his level of competence.)”

“Did I?” The voice sounded quite confused, which didn’t inspire any confidence at all.

“Yes!”

“Oh. Well, no harm done. Might as well skip to the end, then. Three, two, one…blast off!”

LOL! :D

And so, with a hideous, mind-bending, dimension-jumping lurch, the Planar Sphere hurled screaming into the ether towards an unknown destination.

Ah, there's the cliffhanger.

Next: Back to Dekaras, who is under healer's orders to rest and take it easy. As if...

By the way, Rini had an Elminster in her vision. I've been waiting ever since. Will we see the old coot soon? :P

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:12 PM

I'm so behind on commenting it's not even funny. :( I'll keep on of course, but don't really see how I can hope to catch up until I spend all my waking time doing it. :P

You speak as though there is something better to do with your time, especially when on vacation. :P

The Planar Sphere was clearly visible from several streets away, a shimmering gray dome that sat in the middle of the slums like an enormous egg in a very untidy bird’s nest. Edwin viewed it with excitement, feeling rather like a small child on Solstice morning.

Given the egg-analogy, perhaps Easter morning would have worked better here. :D

Good old oblivious Edwin – it’s not like an ancient necromancer would present any sort of challenge. :)

There was really only one cloud obscuring the otherwise blue sky of Edwin’s world. He had tried to contact his teacher last evening, to let him know that he was back in Athkatla. However, Dekaras had not been at the address he had last left, and there had been no message waiting either. He hasn’t entangled himself with…no, he couldn’t have. He may be stubborn enough that he wouldn’t give up watching Bodhi, but surely he wouldn’t confront her or Aerie directly. No, of course he wouldn’t.

And he didn’t. They confronted him. :D

Come on, I bet you a juicy banana he’s just…er…found himself a nice girl or something and is busy doing hot monkey love with her!

Teacher Dekaras does not take an interest in ‘nice girls’! Stop being preposterous, monkey!

Boys then?

We already established that Suffy doesn’t understand the meaning of the word ‘preposterous’.

He shouldered past a crowd of curious onlookers, beggars and vendors selling everything from Planar Sphere models over Planar Sphere teacups, Planar Sphere memento towels and tunics marked ‘I went and saw the Planar Sphere, and all I got was this lousy tunic’.

Can’t really blame these destitute guys for trying to milk this opportunity for all it’s worth.

“Well,” Zaerini said, “let’s go then.” She dislodged a halfling trying to sell her a Planar Sphere snowglobe from her right leg and followed Valygar inside: Edwin kept close by her, of course. Not only didn’t he want his lover to walk into potential danger without him, but it also allowed him a very nice view from behind her as she was climbing the steep staircase.

:P Isn’t there a rule that a gentleman should climb the ladder first? ;)

“DNA pattern matched. Corthala scion detected. You may progress to the vestibule.”

Convenient and encouraging… Lavok isn’t a bad host, after all.

“Ah…I was doing that on purpose!” Edwin tried. “I was merely checking that you were all paying proper attention.” It didn’t quite seem as if the others were believing him though, and the fact that he could feel his cheeks heating up didn’t help. I hope my Hellkitten believed me at least.

I doubt she believed that, but she probably still found it cute. ;)

“Of course we are. But there’s no reason that should stop us from looting on the way there, is there?”

Probably not, but Valygar probably wants to make sure that you have your priorities in the right order. ;)

“You not touch Minsc’s Witch, Evil Clay man!” Minsc bellowed. “If you try, Minsc and Boo will stomp you to bits, mix with water and make you into mud cake! Boo already prepare one for show, see?” He proudly reached into his pocket and displayed a small, flat object that certainly did look like a miniature mudcake. The golem, however, wasn’t impressed. It charged, silently and relentlessly, without thought for its own safety.

Attack of the Giant Mudcake… ;)

“Well, the funny thing is the feet absolutely refused to walk to work, they kept walking down to the Copper Coronet instead. Dudders swore it was a mechanical malfunction, and then he tried to sue me for malpractice. He might even have got away with it, if the feet hadn’t had a really big and extremely accidental glitch on the day of the verdict and kicked the judge on the shins…”

Seems like his willpower was kind of… you know, weak. ;)

“T minus eight seconds…”

“WHY NOT?”

Aww, the only time when it’s really not Jan’s fault, he gets beaten up… :)

We are deeply shocked and surprised. :D

#4 Guest_Wyvern_*

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:32 PM

I'm so behind on commenting it's not even funny. :roll: I'll keep on of course, but don't really see how I can hope to catch up until I spend all my waking time doing it. ;)

I'm not surprised, the board's been busy. Hmm, if we tell you not to bother commenting, can we get Cards twice a week instead?

Edwin has his priorities right, it's all about the loot. ;)

Not on purpose, and I doubt Dekaras will let Edwin know anything about what's happened to him.

'nice girls', no. But naughty, wicked girls are a different story. :shock:

That's Anomen, completely noble, and not a thought about all that potential loot.

“Well,” Jaheira said, “Since the gate you are pointing at is the western one, you will forgive me for not bowing down to your ‘superior sense of direction’. My inferior one tells me we should try the remaining door, to begin with.”

I bet Jaheira just loved catching Edwin's slip.

Blame poor Jan, no one said he *shouldn't* try the key. :roll:

#5 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:53 PM

I'm so behind on commenting it's not even funny. :shock: I'll keep on of course, but don't really see how I can hope to catch up until I spend all my waking time doing it. :roll:

I'm not surprised, the board's been busy. Hmm, if we tell you not to bother commenting, can we get Cards twice a week instead?

Hear, hear! :roll:

#6 Guest_Noelani_*

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:05 PM

Ooer...do I see Red Dwarf references here? I can just picture the face of Holly staring at them with a bored look. Will we be seeing any strangely humanoid Cats around as they travel deeper inside?

#7 Weyoun

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:01 PM

I'm so behind on commenting it's not even funny. :( I'll keep on of course, but don't really see how I can hope to catch up until I spend all my waking time doing it. :D

Oh, just enjoy your holidays. If anyone has earned a rest here, it's you.

Elvira's going to throw a fit if Galen breaks down half the house to put that thing under the christmas tree for Eddie. :roll:

Imagine the wondrous magic that surely has to be hidden in there – and it is going to be mine, all mine! Well, he would share with his lover, certainly,

Him, her and noone else! :roll:

Actually, there is a girl he found, but she's neither nice nor interested in hot monkey love. ;)

Boys then?

I suppose it is. ;)

Mouse magic! ;)

:shock: Heheheheheh. ;)

“Sounds useful enough,” Zaerini asked, as she started rummaging through one of the chests along the walls. “What went wrong?”

Where upon they brought back hanging? ;)

“Course plotted,” the bored voice spoke from the screen. “Not that I know why I bother, really, you’ll probably just botch this anyway. Launch in T minus ten seconds.”

Oh, nice going, mister technical genius. ;)

Good point. ;)

D'oh! :?

Nice! :D
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#8 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:11 AM

Tumbling through empty space at a pace high enough to make stars fall – that is at best tolerable. If you’ve already eaten breakfast, it’s not even that.

Nobody likes hyperspace travel. :roll:

Hopefully it doesn't involve any juicy bananas. ;)

passing through walls and ceilings in a way that seemed utterly impossible and gave you a headache if you looked at it for too long.

Like an MC Escher picture. ;)

‘I went and saw the Planar Sphere, and all I got was this lousy tunic’.

How about "Planar Sphere - the Toilet Paper! Planar Sphere - the Flamethrower! And Planar Sphere - the Doll..."

(Pulls the cord behind a Cespenar doll) "May the Shinies be with you!"

Wow. High tech.

(Not that I normally put much stock in Divination magic, but I suppose for those not blessed with my own superior sense of direction it might be an adequate aid.)

I'd bet money he's gotten lost in toilet stalls before. :shock:

“Initiating airlock lockdown. Core ignition sequence initiated.”

"Fusion reactor coming on line, secondary maneuvering thrusters, at 100%, navigational computer standing by, life support systems nominal, primary sensor array is active, stand by for release of docking clamps..." :roll:

“Wait, wait, what about seven?”

Jaheira: "Quick! Find the cancellation button!"

Valygar: "Out of order?! F#@$! Even in Lavok's house, nothing works!"

#9 Arcalian

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:39 AM

*cuddles the bad kitty*

The planar sphere seems to have gone quite bonkers. Not that I blame it.

Jan being shaken by Jaheria....hmmmmnnn. Whats the downside to this situation? Oh yes, nobody's shaking HER too.

It always seemed to me that Anomen and Valygar should get along, more or less.

Yes indeed, Lauf--I mean, Zaerini, looting is good.
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#10 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:57 AM

I'm so behind on commenting it's not even funny. :( I'll keep on of course, but don't really see how I can hope to catch up until I spend all my waking time doing it. :P

me too...went to visit best friend in california for two weeks, had a heat wave there, and one in seattle when i came back, so i've decided to give up on catching up, and work some more on my series... :(

There are plenty of forms of travel that I really quite enjoy. Walking is fine, riding is great, travel by ship is at least nice on sunny days. Tumbling through empty space at a pace high enough to make stars fall – that is at best tolerable. If you’ve already eaten breakfast, it’s not even that.

why do i have this image of the party chasing after a running jan jansen wearing rabbit ears, who is shouting...

"I'm so dreadfully late! The queen of Turnips will have my head!!!"

poor edwin, he was so screwed...he has dekkie for a father, a person who is well known for rushing headlong into trouble without a second thought, and elvira for a mother, whose picture is in the dictionary under the definition for the word "reckless"...either way, he was bound to get into trouble from his very first toddler steps.. :shock:

bad, bad me...i keep selling his body...after opening the sphere, i kill him...to sell off his body... :roll:

any relation to ashley? :roll:

as long as she's paying attention... :P

she's been taking imoen lessons.. :P

i've always seen golems as magical robots..

why do i think that a penguin, disguised as a chicken is behind this?

("wrong trousers" by Bert Parks)

“All’s well that ends well then,” the half-elf said, sounding amused. “Speaking of which, I’ve found something.” What she’d found was a narrow metal rod, one end marked with grooves and notches. “Looks like a key, don’t you think?”

oh dear god...she's developing a resistance to his stories... :(

“So it does, your Worship,” Jan agreed. “And where there’s a key, there’s usually a keyhole. Let me take another look.” He brought the key over to the closed door, passing it lightly along the wall. This time, there was a faint ‘blip’, and a panel in the wall slid open, revealing a dark glass screen, a panel with some buttons on it, and a keyhole. “Ha!” Jan said. “Thought so.” He inserted the key into the keyhole, and within seconds the panel came to life, displaying a vaguely outlined male face. The details weren’t very clear, but the bored voice that issued was all the clearer.

is this such a good idea giving jan the key? this will turn out badly... ;)

something bad...

“JAN JANSEN!” Jaheira fairly roared, gripping the gnome by his collar and shaking him. “Make it stop right NOW!”

SHOOT IT!!!

oh rats, you guys don't have guns...that sucks.. ;) ;) ;)

rini: yeah, but it feels so satisfying! ;) :P

“T minus six seconds…”

anyone want some...toast???!!! :P :P :P

I just have this mental image of edwin chewing on his toenails, putting his sneakers in the fridge...and rini in an incredibly fetching red vinyl outfit...and minsc as a depressed robot, and anomen with whiskers... ;) ;) :?

yay!!! :D :D

#11 Guest_Kendris_*

Posted 31 July 2005 - 02:36 PM

I'm so behind on commenting it's not even funny. I'll keep on of course, but don't really see how I can hope to catch up until I spend all my waking time doing it.

I know the feeling...I'm currently calculating exactly how much sleep I require to maintain functionalty.

Still trying to catch up reading the back chapters, but this one was a hoot!

#12 Guest_Melle_*

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:29 AM

Make stars fall?

I'm afraid the nice girls were more interested in each other. :wink: :twisted:

Also, making love, hot monkey or otherwise, not doing.

Better than "I was stranded in hell and had to gather still-beating demon hearts, and all I got..." :)

Love me a bit of anachronistic hi-tech. Especially if it's still powered by gigantic clockwork. :)

“Well…” Zaerini said, a slightly nervous smile on her face. “Shall we, then?” And before Edwin could suggest that somebody expendable, like perhaps the magic-hating ranger or the Helmite go in first, she stepped inside.

Go Ed- wait, who's being sensible here again? ;)

Priorities, Val, priorities.

“Yes!”

Interesting AI, but I don't catch the reference, if a reference it is.

#13 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:53 AM

I'm so behind on commenting it's not even funny. :) I'll keep on of course, but don't really see how I can hope to catch up until I spend all my waking time doing it. :)

I know what you mean. ;) My father-in-law's death certainly has taken a toll on my already scarce time to use on commenting. In fact, I'm thinking of starting from new chapters - sorry about that, but it seems I simply can't keep up now.

I'm not sure about the nice part, Suffy...

Boys then?

Of course he is ;)

BHAHAHA!

”Oh, look Boo!” Minsc exclaimed, holding his hamster up and pointing. “Look at the little houses and the little people! Careful not to frighten them Boo, Heroes of Goodness only squish Evil people and only on purpose.”

The alignment chapter from the Player's Guide in nutshell...

CN meets NG...

“You not touch Minsc’s Witch, Evil Clay man!” Minsc bellowed.

It's Neutral, Minsc. (Hm, does Minsc aknowledge the existence of Neutrality?)

And on with the sphere... I hope they find something useful... :D

#14 Laufey

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:06 PM

I'm so behind on commenting it's not even funny. ;) I'll keep on of course, but don't really see how I can hope to catch up until I spend all my waking time doing it. ;)

I know what you mean. :) My father-in-law's death certainly has taken a toll on my already scarce time to use on commenting. In fact, I'm thinking of starting from new chapters - sorry about that, but it seems I simply can't keep up now.

Yes, I think I'll have to do that myself. I've been a bit low the past few days and if I try to catch up I'll just get even further behind.

I'm not sure about the nice part, Suffy...

No, that wouldn't describe either of them.

Of course he is :(

Of course. :(

The alignment chapter from the Player's Guide in nutshell...

:)

CN meets NG...

Rini has a lot in common with Haley when it comes to loot. :D

“You not touch Minsc’s Witch, Evil Clay man!” Minsc bellowed.

It's Neutral, Minsc. (Hm, does Minsc aknowledge the existence of Neutrality?)

I think that's a bit too complex for him, really.

And on with the sphere... I hope they find something useful... :D

They might, they might. ;)

#15 Laufey

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:10 PM

[quote][quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Make stars fall?
[/quote]

Or collide?

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
I'm afraid the nice girls were more interested in each other. :) :D
[/quote]

:(

[quote]
Also, making love, hot monkey or otherwise, not doing.
[/quote]

Nope, he's strictly a one-girl kind of guy.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Better than "I was stranded in hell and had to gather still-beating demon hearts, and all I got..." :(
[/quote]

LOL! Yes, even better.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Love me a bit of anachronistic hi-tech. Especially if it's still powered by gigantic clockwork. :D
[/quote]

Thanks! :)

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Go Ed- wait, who's being sensible here again? ;)
[/quote]

It will pass. ;)

[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Priorities, Val, priorities.
[/quote]

Rini: Yeah, there's always time for that later!

[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Interesting AI, but I don't catch the reference, if a reference it is.[/quote]

Red Dwarf. More on that later!

#16 Laufey

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:14 PM

I'm so behind on commenting it's not even funny. I'll keep on of course, but don't really see how I can hope to catch up until I spend all my waking time doing it.

I know the feeling...I'm currently calculating exactly how much sleep I require to maintain functionalty.

I think I'll just have to start from the top...

Still trying to catch up reading the back chapters, but this one was a hoot!

Glad you enjoyed it! :D

#17 Laufey

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:18 PM

I'm so behind on commenting it's not even funny. :D I'll keep on of course, but don't really see how I can hope to catch up until I spend all my waking time doing it. :D

me too...went to visit best friend in california for two weeks, had a heat wave there, and one in seattle when i came back, so i've decided to give up on catching up, and work some more on my series... :D

I've decided to start from the top. If I try to catch up now, I'll never have time to write my own stuff again.

why do i have this image of the party chasing after a running jan jansen wearing rabbit ears, who is shouting...

"I'm so dreadfully late! The queen of Turnips will have my head!!!"

Oooh, lovely! With Edwin as the Mad Hatter, maybe?

poor edwin, he was so screwed...he has dekkie for a father, a person who is well known for rushing headlong into trouble without a second thought, and elvira for a mother, whose picture is in the dictionary under the definition for the word "reckless"...either way, he was bound to get into trouble from his very first toddler steps.. :D

Vadrak Dekaras: I do *not* rush headlong into trouble. I might occasionally *sneak* into trouble, but only if I find it truly necessary.

bad, bad me...i keep selling his body...after opening the sphere, i kill him...to sell off his body... :)

Oooh, that's naughty!

any relation to ashley? ;)

Eeeeewww! Fortunately not!

she's been taking imoen lessons.. :D

She always was like that. :D

i've always seen golems as magical robots..

They are, sort of, I agree.

is this such a good idea giving jan the key? this will turn out badly... ;)

Of course! :D

rini: yeah, but it feels so satisfying! :) :P

I think she just needed that. :D

anyone want some...toast???!!! :P :P :P

Edwin: No! And also no crumpets, waffles, bagles *or* muffins!

I just have this mental image of edwin chewing on his toenails, putting his sneakers in the fridge...and rini in an incredibly fetching red vinyl outfit...and minsc as a depressed robot, and anomen with whiskers... :( :( :D

Something like that...maybe...you'll see. :D

yay!!! ;) ;)

#18 Laufey

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:22 PM

*cuddles the bad kitty*

*purrs* :)

Jan being shaken by Jaheria....hmmmmnnn. Whats the downside to this situation? Oh yes, nobody's shaking HER too.

But who would dare do that? :D

It always seemed to me that Anomen and Valygar should get along, more or less.

Oh yes, they have a few things in common, I think.

Yes indeed, Lauf--I mean, Zaerini, looting is good.

Rini: It helps us get better stuff, so it makes us stronger, so of course it is! ;)

#19 Laufey

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:27 PM

Tumbling through empty space at a pace high enough to make stars fall – that is at best tolerable. If you’ve already eaten breakfast, it’s not even that.

Nobody likes hyperspace travel. :(

Can't imagine anybody would, really.

Hopefully it doesn't involve any juicy bananas. :D

Eeeeewwww! I sure hope not.

passing through walls and ceilings in a way that seemed utterly impossible and gave you a headache if you looked at it for too long.

Like an MC Escher picture. ;)

Exactly!

How about "Planar Sphere - the Toilet Paper! Planar Sphere - the Flamethrower! And Planar Sphere - the Doll..."

(Pulls the cord behind a Cespenar doll) "May the Shinies be with you!"

Those work fine too. :)

(Not that I normally put much stock in Divination magic, but I suppose for those not blessed with my own superior sense of direction it might be an adequate aid.)

I'd bet money he's gotten lost in toilet stalls before. :D

My Edwin has a very lousy sense of direction. :(

“Initiating airlock lockdown. Core ignition sequence initiated.”

"Fusion reactor coming on line, secondary maneuvering thrusters, at 100%, navigational computer standing by, life support systems nominal, primary sensor array is active, stand by for release of docking clamps..." :)

;)

“Wait, wait, what about seven?”

Jaheira: "Quick! Find the cancellation button!"

Valygar: "Out of order?! F#@$! Even in Lavok's house, nothing works!"

Or not in the way it was intended to work, at least. ;)

#20 Laufey

Posted 02 August 2005 - 12:32 PM

I'm so behind on commenting it's not even funny. :D I'll keep on of course, but don't really see how I can hope to catch up until I spend all my waking time doing it. :D

Oh, just enjoy your holidays. If anyone has earned a rest here, it's you.

Thanks. :( I'll just take it from the top.

Elvira's going to throw a fit if Galen breaks down half the house to put that thing under the christmas tree for Eddie. ;)

And he just might too!

Actually, there is a girl he found, but she's neither nice nor interested in hot monkey love. :(

No indeed. ;)

I suppose it is. :D

Marginally. ;)

:D Heheheheheh. ;)

My Edwin has a really lousy sense of direction. :D

Oh, nice going, mister technical genius. :)

Good point. :D

Very logical!

D'oh! :D

Nice! :D

And now...for some Red Dwarf references. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users