A Cappella Part 298 - Retirement

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 28 July 2005 - 04:33 AM

AC298-Retirement

For what seemed the thousandth time, Keldorn greeted a visitor politely. Yes, he had been Anomen’s knight for a time, yes, Anomen had been a fine young man. The words had become rote.

By Torm, I feel so old today. I am weary to the bone. I had not thought of facing the long years accompanied by so many ghosts.

The knight smiled and chatted with another new visitor, though he gritted his teeth through the greeting. I am quite certain that I did not invite you. When you taught Anomen, you behaved as though a verminous beast had been assigned to your class. How dare you pretend he was one of your favorites now that he cannot contradict you. Ah, well, Maria warned me this would happen. She was wise to insist on preparing for last minute ‘guests’.

Ignoring the fulsome compliments being gushed by his fellow knight, Keldorn let his gaze roam around the parlor. It came to rest on Sir Vachel, looking shy and hesitant as he spoke to one of Anomen’s uncles. Now that young man is welcome here. I had no idea Moira had a secret intended. Poor Anomen, I remember his desperate attempts to interest one of the other squires in her, so that she could escape Delryn Manor. It would seem the young lady had taken matters into her own hands.

He continued to look around the room. Jarran and his companions were gathered together. Keldorn saw that Valygar was whispering in Imoen’s ear, her face red and blotchy from crying. Mazzy was fidgeting. Keldorn smiled to himself, sure that her agitation was from her separation from her baby. Leona had agreed to watch little Ano during the funeral, and the infant was sleeping upstairs.

The knight let his eyes wander, looking for Sarevok. Keldorn’s throat tightened as he spied the former Bhaalspawn standing apart from the others, his face stony. He was about to step forward to console the warrior when he saw Sirelle approach Sarevok. They entered into a quiet conversation.

Peony entered the room, her eyes downcast. “Would you like me to announce dinner, m’lord?”

“Yes, Peony, thank you.” Keldorn slipped away from the boor at his side. A whispered word to a footman ensured that his unwelcome visitor was seated at the far end of the table.

Though the meal was excellent, the paladin found himself with no appetite. He picked at the food on his plate, rarely taking a bite.

Maria noticed his malaise and frowned. “Keldorn, would you like me to ask the cook to prepare something else for you?”

“No, Maria. I am simply not hungry.”

“You need to keep up your strength. You do not look well.”

“I’m an old man, Maria, I no longer need my strength.”

“Old? Do not be foolish. You will never be old.”

He smiled at his wife. “And you will never be less than lovely. Maria… you do know, do you not, how much I love you?” he said in a low voice.

She laid her hand on his arm. “Yes, Keldorn. I am sorry that I ever doubted that.”

“Then I have made some small amends for my foolishness?”

“Yes, my love. You have made me very happy.”

He placed his hand over hers and gently squeezed. He blinked hard, because his vision blurred for a moment.

“Keldorn?”

“It is nothing, my dear, just… fatigue. I should return my attention to our guests.”

Determined to ignore the momentary weakness, he listened attentively to Imoen, who was doing her best to make pleasant conversation.

After the meal was finished, the guests spread to various rooms and talked in small groups. Keldorn was pleased to see that all of the hangers-on had departed. But not before enjoying a free meal, of course! he thought caustically.

Suddenly the blurring returned. The paladin shook his head in irritation. Damn, I must be more tired than I thought. My armor feels so heavy… and tight. It is hard to breathe. Keldorn frowned. Surely he was not that tired. But he felt as though someone was pushing hard against his chest, and his vision seemed to have narrowed to a small tunnel as the blackness pressed in from all sides.

“Keldorn? What is wrong?” His wife’s voice seemed to be coming from a great distance.

“M-Maria?”

“Keldorn!”

His last thought before the darkness took him was Oh Torm, must I leave her so soon?

Jarran quietly talked with Jaheira and Sir Ryan in the parlor. He was touched at the number of people who had come to the Firecam estate to pay their respects to Anomen, but at the same time he wished that they would leave. He nodded and smiled politely to all who greeted him.

All conversation ceased at the sound of a loud metallic crash and Lady Maria’s scream. Jarran charged into the next room, a number of knights at his heels.

Keldorn lay sprawled on the floor, a sobbing Maria kneeling at his side. The paladin’s face was gray and drawn.

Jaheira elbowed her way to them and said sharply, “What has happened?”

“I-I do not know. He was behaving as if he felt a bit ill, but I thought it was grief. Then he… he….”

The druid felt his neck and frowned. She chanted quickly, and a bit of color returned to Keldorn’s cheeks.

“What is wrong? Do you know?” Lady Maria asked anxiously.

“Keldorn’s heart has been overstrained.” She cast another spell, and the knight slowly opened his eyes.

His gaze immediately went to his wife. “I live?” He shakily lifted a hand to her tear-streaked face.

“Yes, Keldorn.” She pressed his hand to her cheek. “I was so afraid….”

Jarran looked around and cleared his throat. “Gentlemen and ladies, if you would please step back and give us some room?”

Sir Ryan came to his side and said in a low voice, “What happened, Jarran?”

“Jaheira said something about his heart.”

The two men helped Keldorn into a chair as the paladin protested feebly. “Now then, I am not an invalid. I just felt a bit faint, that is all.”

Maria turned to their guests, who had come running upon hearing her cry. “Lord Firecam is not feeling well. I am afraid I must end our gathering rather early.”

High Watcher Oisig said quietly, “Do you need my aid, my lady?”

“Jaheira is attending to him. I will send for you if need be.” The priest gave her a small bow before retreating.

The knights and priests left quickly, offering well-wishes as they went. The Costmars departed after Lady Sirelle embraced Maria and said, “If there is anything I can do to help…”

Maria smiled weakly. “Please, you have your own… difficulties.”

“Anomen thought of Keldorn as a second father. I owe him a debt of gratitude for that.” She squeezed Maria’s hand sympathetically and left.

It was not long before only Sir Ryan, as well as Jarran and his companions, remained. Keldorn was still complaining, though he had not moved from his chair. “Stop fussing, Maria. I am fine.”

Jaheira said bluntly, “You are not fine. Your heart had nearly ceased to beat.”

“I fainted. An understandable reaction to the loss of someone dear to me, I would think.”

“Paladin, you cannot fool me. I felt your life begin to slip away.”

Maria tried to hide her sob behind a handkerchief, but failed. Keldorn’s face twisted in anxiety. “Maria, please. It was nothing.”

His wife said in a choked voice, “Your face… I thought it was your funeral that I would attend next.”

“I… all right, perhaps my heart was… overtaxed. But I am fine now. I am sure that Jaheira’s abilities have restored my health.”

The druid shook her head. “You know better than that, my friend.”

Sir Ryan said slowly, “I am a fool for missing the signs… I have seen you behave strangely a number of times at the Hall. Dizziness, pressing a hand to your chest suddenly… why did you not speak to one of the priests?”

“I felt it was merely old age. I have… been very conscious of my years in recent days.”

Jaheira said, “And you were correct.”

“I don’t understand,” Maria said tearfully. “You… you healed him.”

“I could take away the pressures that caused his heart to falter, but I cannot take away a lifetime of wear and strain. Keldorn has spent his life pushing his body to its limits.”

Keldorn protested, “No more than any other paladin!”

Sir Ryan said ruefully, “That isn’t precisely true. Not many paladins reach our age, my friend. And you have spent more time in the field than any other three that I can bring to mind combined.”

“Exactly,” Jaheira said sharply. “Years of hard fighting and rough living have taken their toll. I am afraid those days are over.”

“I do not understand you.”

“I mean that the damage is done. You must do what you can to prevent such strain again.”

Keldorn stared at her for a long moment. “And how in Torm’s name am I supposed to do that?”

“To begin with,” the druid said, “you should cease wearing plate mail. I know that enchanted armor is lighter, but it is still heavy. And combat is out of the question. If your foe does not kill you, your heart will.”

The knight’s face became thunderous. “Are you telling me, woman,” Keldorn said with a snarl, “that I must cease to be a paladin? Why do you not take Carsomyr and carve my heart out now, it would be more merciful!”

Maria stammered, “But… you are no longer in the field. Surely…”

“If an emergency arose, I would be forced to sit like a coward while my fellow knights fought and died! No, I will not accept this. I will not…”

“Father?”

Keldorn turned to see his daughters standing in the doorway. Leona said quietly, “Father? Are you ill?”

The knight’s eyes widened, and a stream of emotions flitted across his face. His eyes softened, and he said, “Yes, my child. I am afraid so.”

Vesper sniffled and said tearfully, “We heard Mother scream. Are… are you going to die?”

Keldorn held out his arms. Vesper ran to him and he carefully pulled her into his lap. “No, little one, not today. But I will have to… relinquish some of my duties, so that I can perform the truly important ones.” He hugged her fiercely.

Jarran put his hand on Keldorn’s shoulder and squeezed. “We should go so that you can get some rest.” He looked at Maria and said, “Send word…”

“If I need anything,” she said with a smile.

After all his guests had gone, Keldorn found to his irritation that Maria insisted on helping him up the stairs to their bedchamber. “My dearest, I am in no danger, truly.”

“I am not taking any chances. I want you to go to bed, and that is final.”

“Maria…”

Tears began to flow down her cheeks. “I was terrified that I had lost you. You… you did not appear to be breathing, and your face was so… lifeless. After giving me such a fright, the least that you can do is lie down!”

“Yes, Maria,” he said meekly as he entered their bedroom.

Keldorn sat on the edge of the bed and waited until he heard her footsteps descending the stairs. As quietly as he could, he slipped from the room and went down the hall to the small shrine to Torm where his family said their prayers.

He composed himself and whispered, “Loyal Fury, I come to you in shame. I am unable to perform my proper duties, and can no longer wield my sword in your name. I am no longer fit to call myself your paladin.”

Keldorn felt the warm sensation that he associated with Torm’s attention. You are not released from my service.

“My Lord, I… I will almost surely die if I attempt to fight. If this is what you ask of me, then so be it, but…”

Battle is but one sort of service. You may refrain from combat and still serve me.

“I may? Lord Torm, what duties can I fulfill if I cannot so much as wear my armor?”

Keldorn found his mind filled with visions. He saw himself teaching his history class, but in normal clothing. Speaking with an older Vesper about her education. His white-haired self fussing over grandchildren. Using a wooden sword to demonstrate to a halfling boy the screaming attack that he had learned from Jarran, and laughing along with the child’s amusement. Sitting by the fire, a cane in his hand rather than a sword, surrounded by family.

“My… my Lord?”

You have served me long and well, Keldorn. From this day forward, you have but one obligation… to fulfill the Duty to Family. You are to consider yourself free of all other responsibilities.

“Thank you, Lord Torm. You have my gratitude.”

Keldorn felt a sense of amusement flow through him. Now get into bed before Lady Maria finds you.

#2 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:27 PM

For what seemed the thousandth time, Keldorn greeted a visitor politely. Yes, he had been Anomen’s knight for a time, yes, Anomen had been a fine young man. The words had become rote.

By Torm, I feel so old today. I am weary to the bone. I had not thought of facing the long years accompanied by so many ghosts.

The knight smiled and chatted with another new visitor, though he gritted his teeth through the greeting. I am quite certain that I did not invite you. When you taught Anomen, you behaved as though a verminous beast had been assigned to your class. How dare you pretend he was one of your favorites now that he cannot contradict you. Ah, well, Maria warned me this would happen. She was wise to insist on preparing for last minute ‘guests’.

I had a distinct feeling that the setting was our world, not Faerun; everything's too familiar.

Ignoring the fulsome compliments being gushed by his fellow knight, Keldorn let his gaze roam around the parlor. It came to rest on Sir Vachel, looking shy and hesitant as he spoke to one of Anomen’s uncles. Now that young man is welcome here. I had no idea Moira had a secret intended. Poor Anomen, I remember his desperate attempts to interest one of the other squires in her, so that she could escape Delryn Manor. It would seem the young lady had taken matters into her own hands.

*sniffs at Moira's fate* Hopefully, the girls' shrine won't be unkempt.

Jaheira elbowed her way to them and said sharply, “What has happened?”

“I-I do not know. He was behaving as if he felt a bit ill, but I thought it was grief. Then he… he….”

The druid felt his neck and frowned. She chanted quickly, and a bit of color returned to Keldorn’s cheeks.

“What is wrong? Do you know?” Lady Maria asked anxiously.

“Keldorn’s heart has been overstrained.” She cast another spell, and the knight slowly opened his eyes.

That's better than in Russia, where if a heartstroke happens, the ambulance either arrives in two hours, or the woman on the phone says "let him come on his own." :wink:

The knight’s face became thunderous. “Are you telling me, woman,” Keldorn said with a snarl, “that I must cease to be a paladin? Why do you not take Carsomyr and carve my heart out now, it would be more merciful!”

Liked this piece. Though it does bring to mind the thought that his wife and children have always been second in his heart.

Keldorn found his mind filled with visions. He saw himself teaching his history class, but in normal clothing. Speaking with an older Vesper about her education. His white-haired self fussing over grandchildren. Using a wooden sword to demonstrate to a halfling boy the screaming attack that he had learned from Jarran, and laughing along with the child’s amusement. Sitting by the fire, a cane in his hand rather than a sword, surrounded by family.

A fitting conclusion to Keldorn's story - but shall we see him again?

You have served me long and well, Keldorn. From this day forward, you have but one obligation… to fulfill the Duty to Family. You are to consider yourself free of all other responsibilities.

Keldorn felt a sense of amusement flow through him. Now get into bed before Lady Maria finds you.

Awww... it's still a pity that he dies in his 60th winter, though. :wink:

#3 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:12 PM

I had a distinct feeling that the setting was our world, not Faerun; everything's too familiar.

Human nature is the same in both worlds, I fear.

*sniffs at Moira's fate* Hopefully, the girls' shrine won't be unkempt.

Anomen took both her and their mother's ashes with him when he left the house after Cor's death. The manor is abandoned right now while Cor's bastards fight over the estate.

That's better than in Russia, where if a heartstroke happens, the ambulance either arrives in two hours, or the woman on the phone says "let him come on his own." :evil:

Eep! :wink:

Liked this piece. Though it does bring to mind the thought that his wife and children have always been second in his heart.

I wouldn't say that they are second, but he wasn't just told he couldn't be a father and husband anymore.

A fitting conclusion to Keldorn's story - but shall we see him again?

Oh yes, he isn't going anywhere.

Awww... it's still a pity that he dies in his 60th winter, though. :(

Not in A Cappella. :wink: My epilogues are my own.

#4 Guest_Wyvern_*

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:41 PM

You had me worried that Keldorn was going to be the next to die, so happy he didn't.

It's a logical reason for Keldorn to stop adventuring, his character always did seem the type that would have to be forced to stop working.

#5 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:30 AM

You had me worried that Keldorn was going to be the next to die, so happy he didn't.

I'm not that cruel... close, but not that far.

It's a logical reason for Keldorn to stop adventuring, his character always did seem the type that would have to be forced to stop working.

Some people have to be nailed down to keep them from pushing themselves too far. Keldorn has been smacked in the face by his own mortality, and will have to adjust to a new way of life.

#6 Guest_glAssbOy_*

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:41 AM

Old age finally becomes a realization for the man.

Hehe, reminds me of my short piece. I'm happy to know that it won't be sad ending for one of my fava characters...

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:55 PM

Old age finally becomes a realization for the man.

Yes, he's finally come to the point where he has to slow down.

Hehe, reminds me of my short piece. I'm happy to know that it won't be sad ending for one of my fava characters...

No, Keldorn still has quite a few years ahead of him. I thought the game epilogue, while dramatic, was terribly sad. I couldn't resist giving him a much more gentle send-off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com