Chapter 23

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_theacefes_*

Posted 24 July 2005 - 04:34 PM

Chapter 23

I opened my eyes and immediately closed them again. An alien feeling came over me...and I knew something was wrong. I opened my eyes again. I saw statues depicting demons and hideous drawings painted on the walls of the cavern-like world I was in.

I was in dead and I was in Hell.

I sat up and looked around. All my friends were there as well, unconsious but breathing normally. But if we were dead, how were we breathing?

We had free Queen Ellisime from a magical bond controlled by parasites. We had then found Irenicus and confronted him in the Tree of Life.

The battle had been a brutal one. Ellisime had left to get Elhan and the others, leaving us to deal with Irenicus.

Though our wounds were many, we were able to bring him down. After Imoen planted an arrow in his chest and I stabbed him in the back, he collapsed, blood seeping from his body and onto his clothing, gasping, "No...you've...killed me..."

I expected to feel something to signal that my soul had been returned to me. But nothing happened.

Suddenly, I felt a strong tug inside me. The tug soon overwhelmed me with pain. I passed out, only to awake in Hell.

"So, we have just one more to go, right?" Imoen asked.

We had explored four of the five rooms of the cavern, seeking and acquiring the "Tears of Bhaal", small stones that would allow us entry through the large door in front of the spot where we woke up.

"Yes, just one more," I said.

We entered the last room and I froze. Imoen did too.

"So, we meet again, Auren," the wraith Sarevok said.

I held my swords up. "Give me the tear."

Sarevok laughed. "You think after everything you did to me, that I'd just give it to you?"

"You killed my sister. You deserve to be here," I sneered.

Sarevok glared at me. "Ah, yes. Your taint is claiming you again. You want to become the Slayer...I can see it in your eyes."

"Auren is not a weakling like you, fiend!" Jaheira spat.

"Your words mean nothing to me, druid," Sarevok said. "You know nothing of the taint of Bhaal; you could never understand what my dear 'sister' has become."

I rolled my eyes. "Sarevok, what are you expecting me to do? Say, 'yes, I feel the rage in me', and become the Slayer? No, Sarevok, I've got way more willpower than that, more than you'll ever have; now hand over the bloody tear," I ordered.

Sarevok trembled with anger as he screamed. "THEN YOU WERE NEVER WORTHY OF BHAAL'S BLOOD AND I SHALL CRUSH YOU WHERE YOU STAND!"

Surprisingly enough, it didn't take long to bring Sarevok down, for he was only a shade of my half brother. Once he was dead, I took the tear of Bhaal off him and we made our way to the front entrance to open the door.

"So we are to battle one last time. No more hiding for either of us."

"If I remember correctly, Irenicus, you're the one that keeps running," I said. Imoen giggled.

Irenicus glared at us and sneered. "I shall enjoy destroying you, Auren."

"Why do all the villains we fight always have some witty line that was probably planned from the beginning to say before we kick their ass?" Imoen asked.

"I've been wondering that, too, Auren," Jaheira said.

I shrugged. "Who knows but this guy is really starting to bug me."

"I grow tired of shouting battle cries at this mage. Evil, meet my sword! SWORD, MEET EVIL!!" Minsc roared.

Boo growled. I had no idea hamsters could growl.

Irenicus rolled his eyes and created a sphere of light in his hands. "Enough! Die all of you!" He hurled the sphere at Imoen, who dodged it.

The sphere hit the ground and three large demons appeared. One went towards Aerie, who hurled a chromatic orb at it. The demon screamed and began to disintigrate.

A Slayer appeared in front of me. Minsc and I began to pound on it with our swords when I realized something.

"It won't fight back!" I shouted.

I heard Irenicus' laugh echo throughout the cavern.

"He's hiding!" Imoen said as she and Jaheira took down another demon.

I squinted and saw magical energy flicker in one corner of the cavern.

"You guys get the last demon; I'll get Irenicus!" I shouted.

I threw a dagger at the flickering magical energy and saw it bounce off the magical shield that surrounded Irenicus that had now appeared. He had become the Slayer.

I ran thowards him and pounded my swords on the shield, trying to break through. It wasn't working. Irenicus swung a massive clawed hand at me and hit me in the shoulder, knocking me to the ground. I dropped my swords and yelled out in pain.

Irenicus suddenly screamed and returned to his elven form after Nalia hit him with a magical arrow in his back.

I took this oppotunity to trip him. As he fell, I grabbed one of my swords and stuck in his chest. His eyes widened and he coughed up blood.

"No...I...I will not be...defeated by you, Auren!" he gasped.

I glared at him. My shoulder was bleeding painfully. "I've already defeated you," I said.

A huge wave of pain from my wound shot through me and left me gasping for air as I looked around at my friends. Imoen's right side of her face was covered in blood. Jaheira was standing over the dead demon, throwing her broken quarterstaff to the ground. Aerie was unconscious and Minsc was carrying her. Nalia was screaming at me.

"Do it Auren! Just kill him!"

I stared down at the beaten mage. For a moment, I could have sworn he look..sad, almost regretful. But the moment ended and he glared at me.

I pulled my sword back and was about to drive it through him when a huge stab of pain went through my shoulder and the rest of my body, causing me to clutch my arm, trying to keep my hold on my sword.

"Auren DO IT!" Nalia yelled.

Imoen looked at me wearily, a weak smile forming on her face, and collapsed on the dirt.

I bit my lip and put all my strength behind my sword and drove it thought Irenicus. Irenicus slowly lifted his hand and quickly muttered a few words before he died. A sphere of yellow light shot from his hand and went towards Nalia.

"No!" I yelled as I dropped my weapon and ran towards Nalia in an attempt to intercept the magic. My entire right arm went numb and I realized that I was leaving a trail of my own blood behind.

I wouldnt make it in time. I knew I would. We were all going to die...again and for good. I looked at Nalia and saw her face, her expression a contorted mix of fear and shock.

I suddenly felt a push within me, and I felt myself getting stronger...and faster. with every last bit of strength I had, I moved my body to intercept the deadly sphere of magic.

Everything went dark.

______

I awoke only to hear sobbing. I opened my eyes and found myself lying on a very comfortable bed. I was alive. Just to make sure, I pinched my arm. It hurt. But I could feel pain in Hell, so that didn't tell me anything. But I knew I was alive. I felt...different.

I felt whole again.

I looked straight ahead and was shocked to see Jaheira sitting on the end of the bed, crying.

"Jaheira?" I said.

She looked at me. I expected a hug. She started yelling at me.

"What in Silvanus' name were you thinking?! If anyone else had jumped in front of that spell, they would have been killed on the spot. What makes you think you could have not ended up the same way?"

"Is Nalia okay?" I asked.

Jaheira stared at me. She took a deep breath. "Yes, and so is everyone else. Nalia has refused to see anyone until you are awake."

I sat up. "I'm going to see her."

Jaheira stopped me. "You are weak, child. You should let yourself recover."

I sighed. "Did we win?" I asked.

"Yes," Jaheira said. "Ellisime wishes to have a celebration in honor of us after we have all recovered."

I nodded and noticed that my shoulder was healed as I looked at it.

"All the hits we took in Hell disappeared after Irenicus died," Jaheira said and actually smiled. "Well done, Auren."

"You, too. You did great," I said.

"We all did," she said. "Gorion...he would be proud of you, Auren."

I smiled and said, "Can I go see Nalia now?"

Jaheira rolled her eyes. "Did you hear a word I said?" She sighed. "Go on," she said. She helped me off the bed since I was still somewhat weak.

"My swords," I said.

"You can get new ones," Jaheira said. "Now, go see Nalia...before I change my mind."

I smiled and headed to Nalia's room.

I knocked on the door.

"Go away!" Nalia yelled from within.

"What if I don't want to?" I said. The door opened and Nalia stood there, her eyes red and puffy.

"Tell me why I shouldn't kick your elven ass for that stunt you pulled," she said.

"Such language for a noblewoman!" I said, grinning. "By all means, kick my ass."

Nalia stared at me, pulled me into the room, shut the door, and kissed me.

When the kiss was over, I said, "Well, that was quite the beating."

"It was, wasn't it?" she said, her arms still around me.

"Are you okay?" I asked staring into her eyes.

Nalia nodded. "Yes, I'm fine." She looked at the ground. "Thank you."

"For what?" I asked.

"For saving me. If that thing had hit me, I would have ended up like Irenicus," she said.

"Oh...um...you're welcome," I said. "Speaking of which, why did I survive anyway?"

"Remember that spell Jaheira was teaching Aerie? It was a powerful healing spell. Aerie woke up and cast it on you," she explained.

"Oh...well, I should go thank her then," I said. "Do you know which room is hers?"

Nalia nodded. "Sure, I'll take you there." She hugged me. "I'm so glad you're okay, and that it's over. How do you feel?" she asked.

"Normal," I said and smiled. "It feels good to have my soul back."

"I bet it does," Nalia said and kissed me again.

"...to thank you for what you have done for our people. And now..it is time to rest, and let the celebrations begin!" With that, Queen Ellisime gestured for the elven servants to begin serving food. One servant showed us to some tables where we were seated next to Ellisime and the high ranking elves. We had all recovered nicely, and had gotten new clothes to wear. Ellisime had even given us some new magical weapons.

We ate our first real meal in days and the orchestra began playing.

"Want to dance?" Nalia asked.

I tensed up. "Oh...well," I said. "I'm not very good."

"Sure you are..you're an elf aren't you?" Imoen said.

"You shouldn't stereotype, Imoen," I said and she stuck her tongue out at me. I turned to Nalia. "Okay, lets go, then," I said.

I tried my best to keep up with Nalia but found myself stepping on her feet. She however, was an excellent dancer.

I looked around and saaw Imoen dancing with one of the younger elven men. Minsc was dancing with Aerie (and Boo if course) and Jaheira was quietly talking with Ellisime. Both their facial expressions were serious.

Finally the festivities ended and we all retreated to our rooms. I decided to stay in Nalia's room.

"Auren?" she said once we had changed into some comfortable clothing.

"Yes?"

"Did you...um...did you really want to get married?" she asked.

"Of course I do," I said. "Why do you ask?"

Nalia walked up to me and put her arms around me. "Good," she said and kissed me. She began to undo some of the buttons on my shirt.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes," she whispered and kissed me again.

I stopped, and looked at her. "We should probably lock the door," I said quickly as I reached for the doorknob.

"Yes, I was just about to say that," Nalia said and laughed nervously.

I locked the door and said, "Done."

"Good," she said and began kissing me, pushing me onto the bed as she did so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com