• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:58 AM

Lewis Home
1415 West 110th Street
West Chelsea – Gotham City
June 25th – 6:10 P.M.

The Lewis home was just one of a long line of high-priced, skillfully-maintained brownstone houses located in the affluent West Chelsea district of Gotham City. Well away from the crime-infested East End, the Chelsea precinct was one of the quietest and safest areas in all of Gotham. Police vehicles, even unmarked ones, tended to draw attention in places like this, most of the locals looking on with disdain as they carried home their bags of overpriced luxury groceries or walked their custom-bred toy poodles.

A middle-aged man, probably somewhere in his fifties and just starting to go gray around the temples, lightly bumped Enara with his elbow as he power-walked by. She turned to say something, but found herself staring at his back. He had headphones over his ears, and probably couldn’t hear her, anyway. Not that it would have mattered. It was doubtful he would have stopped no matter what she’d said. She rolled her eyes and just let him go. He was probably some corporate type… bank attorney, maybe, or a stockbroker, and those tended to be notoriously oblivious when it came to the mundane things like saying “Excuse me.”

Anomen caught her annoyed expression. He smiled and shrugged. She poked her tongue out at him in a derisive response, then went to ring the doorbell.

“Oh, Detective Kell… how can I help you?”

“Mister Lewis, this is Detective Delryn,” she said, introducing Anomen. “Can we come in, sir?”

“Of course. Please do.” He ushered Enara and Anomen into the living room and motioned towards the couches. She sat. He stood. “Captain Sawyer called,” Harold Lewis said, taking a seat across the coffee table from the detectives. “She said you would be stopping by.”

“Did she talk to you at all about the status of the investigation?”

He nodded. Seated next to him, his wife Adele did the same. “Yes, she did. But I’m afraid I don’t understand… you’re saying there was no kidnapping?”

“That’s what it looks like right now… so we need to ask you some more questions about your daughter, have another look at her room…”

“Certainly… but I thought…”

“So did we,” said Anomen. “That’s what the killer wanted.”

Enara was scribbling notes down on a small pad of paper she normally kept in her front shirt pocket. She wrote down a few sentences, and when she’d finished, she began idly flipping the pencil back and forth between her fingers. “Was there anyone in your daughter’s life that she was having problems with? Anyone she was scared of?”

Harold Lewis looked up, his expression registering mild shock. “You… you think it was someone she knew?

“It’s actually highly likely,” Anomen answered the question. “Most murders aren’t committed by strangers, Mister Lewis.”

“But… why? Bonnie was popular. Everybody liked her…”

“No…” It was the first word Adele Lewis had said during the entire meeting. Enara turned to her. She was sitting with her head bowed, staring intently at the house’s plush carpet. Her hands were folded calmly in her lap, but it was her face that told the entire story. One look at the wrinkled brow, the running makeup and dark bags under her eyes, and the unyielding frown made it perfectly clear what kind of pain she’d been forced to endure these past few days. It was the kind of pain only a parent having lost a child could know. There was a long, silent pause as the three others in the room waited for Adele to find her composure again.

“Two boys at school…” she said, her voice hoarse, “Michael Sendelbach, from the neighborhood, was one of them. They were bothering Bonnie… bullying her. She came home crying about it a few weeks ago…”

Harold looked at his wife. He put a hand on her shoulder, and gently squeezed it with his fingers. “What? Adele, why didn’t you tell me about this?”

“It didn’t seem like all that big a deal… kids get bullied…”

“Did Bonnie keep a diary, or a journal?” Enara asked. “If so, we’ll need it…”

As she stood up, Mrs. Lewis fingered the tiny, golden crucifix that hung around her neck. “Yes,” she said to them. “I’ll show you where she kept it.” She stepped out into the hallway, Enara following behind her, and leaving the two men alone in the living room.

“I am truly sorry, Mister Lewis, for how this turned out.”

He looked up at Anomen, choking back tears. “We… we never should’ve let her walk home from her sitting jobs… it’s just… this is usually such a safe neighborhood.”

-----

Davidson Park

“So, where is this place Bonnie was walking from? The Combses’ house?” Anomen eased the car through the traffic circle, first pulling the wheel gently to the right, then curving it back to the left to complete the turn.

Next to him, in the passenger’s seat, Enara made a motion with her left hand. “It’s about a three-block walk, just on the other side of this small park. I’m thinking we should head on over there, anyway. I want to talk to them again, see if there’s anything else they can add to what we already know.”

“Fair enough. What did you find in her bedroom?”

Enara shrugged. “Nothing out of the ordinary. I took her diary, school yearbook, a handful of photo albums. Just covering the bases.” She leaned her head against the window glass and stared wistfully at the houses as the moving car passed them by. “This really is a pretty nice neighborhood, y’know…”

“Perhaps a bit out of your price range, though?” he said, smirking.

“Hell, what isn’t?” she shot back with a grin. “Ah, who wants to live next to a bunch of jackass internet millionaires, anyway-” She abruptly cut herself off, nearly having to bite down on her own tongue to do so. “Oh, geez… I totally forgot. I mean, I just… it was…” The conversation came to a brief caesura as she struggled to pry her foot out of her mouth. “You know what? It’s just easier to call me stupid. Total blonde moment. Sorry.”

He shook his head. “No, it’s quite all right. I wasn’t aware my family troubles had become such a common topic around the MCU squadroom.”

She blushed… and then tried to hide it… which only made it worse. “When that thing came out in the paper a couple of months ago… and then there was-”

He stopped her. “Not one of my father’s finest moments.”

“I didn’t mean anything, y’know… I was just talking-“

He shrugged. “One gets used to it after a while.”

“I… I guess. Still, I shouldn’t have brought it up. I’m sorry. Just forget I said anything, all right?”

“Of course. Besides, it’s not as if I listen to you when you talk, anyway.”

“Ha! All right. I deserved that.”

Anomen brought the car to a stop in front of 147 Chester Avenue, the residence of Raymond and Rachel Combs, husband and wife – and probably the last two people to ever see Bonnie Lewis alive. The door locks opened automatically when Anomen pulled the keys from the car’s ignition. “We’re here.”

Enara nudged open the car door and stepped out. “Looks like.”

-----

Combs Residence

The foyer wall had been liberally festooned with decorations – framed family photos, graceful oil paintings, and even a knitted sampler or two. Enara motioned towards one of the picture frames; the full-color print inside depicted a man in a bright-orange jumpsuit and white helmet, apparently in the midst of free-fall. “Is that you?”

Raymond Combs turned his head to see what she was talking about. “Oh, that… yes. That’s at a few thousand feet,” he said, casually. “Skydiving is one of my hobbies. Have you ever been, Detective Kell?”

She flashed him a polite smile, trying hard not to put any teeth into it. “I’m a police officer, Mister Combs, that’s more than dangerous enough for me.”

“It’s quite a rush, honestly,” he replied, as the led the two detectives into the Family Room. “So, what did you wish to know? I can’t imagine that we have much to add to our original statements.” He waved an arm at the sofa, offering them seats. They declined.

“We’re approaching the case from a different angle now,” Anomen explained. “I’m afraid that means we’ll have to take a little more of your time. Mister Lewis informed us that his daughter always walked home from her babysitting jobs. Do you know what path she took?”

“Detective Kell asked me that the last time we spoke. Bonnie usually went home through the nearby Park… Davidson Park.”

“And that night, she left at what time?”

“Well, we got home at a little after nine, so it was a few minutes after that. Maybe around 9:15?” There was a ceramic pitcher, decorated in floral patterns, and some glasses on a tray upon the coffee table. Raymond picked up a glass, filled it with water, and took a sip. “Would you like some water? Please, help yourself.”

Enara shook her head. “No thank you. I’m curious, though – you didn’t think that was a little late for a fourteen-year-old girl to be taking a walk in the park?”

He shrugged. “Not especially… this isn’t the East End, after all.”

“The park only even has one homeless person,” Rachel commented, complementing her husband’s statement, “and Bonnie was friends with him. She used to bring him food.”

“Is that right?” Enara asked, one eyebrow raised in curiosity. She twirled a pencil around between her fingers, casually flipping it end over end – an unconscious habit of hers. “You got a name for this homeless person?”

Mrs. Combs gave a nonchalant shrug. “I’m sure I’ve heard it before, but I don’t really remember what it was…”

“Did Bonnie ever talk to you about her personal life?” Anomen chipped in, trying another tack. “ Perhaps problems at school, or -?”

Mr. Combs cut him off. “Of course not. She was our sitter, she didn’t confide in us.” He sighed in mild, but growing irritation. “I really don’t see how this can possibly-“

Enara cut him off, and none too elegantly, either. She stared at him with a cold expression. “Someone smashed in the back of Bonnie Lewis’ skull not long after she walked out your door, Mister Combs…” Every syllable dripped with acid. “Now I’m sorry if it’s an inconvenience to you, but I’m trying to find out who that was.”

Seeing that the situation was starting to decay, and rapidly, Rachel tried to play peacemaker. “I just don’t see how we can help…” she said, reasonably, “We didn’t know Bonnie all that well. It was just… she was good with Randall. She was a good sitter.”

Raymond took a quick glance at his watch, then reached for his car keys which were sitting on the end table next to the couch. “Look, if there’s nothing else… we really do have to get to Randall’s chess match…”

-----

Davidson Park

The sun had gone down some time ago, and the area was lit only by a few stray beams of moonlight and the occasional lamppost set alongside the paved-over trails. An unmarked police vehicle, looking as mundane as mundane could be, sat at one end of the asphalt pathway that rambled and meandered through the park.

Enara was flipping through the pages of one of Bonnie Lewis’ old yearbooks. “How long do you think we should sit around here waiting for this supposed homeless guy?”

Anomen leaned back in the driver’s seat and clasped his hands together behind his head. “You doubt his existence?”

“Well, actually, yeah. Look at the source. We’re talking about Rachel Combs, here; I’d be surprised if this supposed homeless guy wasn’t just some hippie who comes by every now and again to feed the pigeons. She sees some guy with long hair, sitting on a bench, and she assumes he’s a bum living in the park.” She groaned and rolled her eyes. “Damned self-absorbed yuppies.”

He nodded, agreeing with her assessment. “For the last people to see the poor child alive, they don’t seem very upset about it. Hmph. Probably more worried about finding a new babysitter for little Bobby Fisher.” He took a sip from his cup of coffee then set the beverage back down in the car’s drink-holder.

“Yeah, I wish they could’ve been more help, too.” She scrubbed her face with a hand. “Anomen, it’s been over a week, and we still don’t have the slightest idea why anyone would want to hurt this little girl.” She pointed to one of the pictures in the yearbook that was open on her lap. “Look at her. Bonnie Lewis. Cutest little thing in the world. Why would anyone lay a hand on her? I mean-”

“Enara?”

“Oh, my God…”

“What? What did you find?”

She grinned sheepishly. “Oh, sorry… I just can’t believe kids still write ‘Have a bitchin’ summer!’ in yearbooks. It’s almost like writing ‘Warmest regards’ or something. Sad. Y’know, I’m really glad I survived high school…” She stopped talking when she caught his look out of the corner of her eye. “What?”

He shook his head and chuckled. “Nothing.”

“Oh, hey, check it out… here’s that little jerk Bonnie’s Mom was talking about…”

“Where?”

The photo she tapped her finger against depicted a skinny, tow-headed boy with lightly tanned skin. He looked to be about fourteen or fifteen… maybe sixteen on the outside. Underneath the picture was his name: Michael Sendelbach. “What do you think? A young Ted Bundy?”

He smirked. “I doubt we’ll be so lucky.”

The police radio built into the car’s dashboard suddenly crackled with static, and the harried-sounding voice of the dispatch officer came through over the open channel. “All units respond… arson fire at 45th and Sprang… suspect Firebug being pursued by officers. All units please respond.”

Enara reached back and grabbed hold of her seat belt, yanking it forward and snapping the buckle into the receiver by her left hip. “That’s like, two minutes away from here.”

“I know…”

#2 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:16 PM

[quote]
The Lewis home was just one of a long line of high-priced, skillfully-maintained brownstone houses located in the affluent West Chelsea district of Gotham City. Well away from the crime-infested East End, the Chelsea precinct was one of the quietest and safest areas in all of Gotham. Police vehicles, even unmarked ones, tended to draw attention in places like this, most of the locals looking on with disdain as they carried home their bags of overpriced luxury groceries or walked their custom-bred toy poodles.
[/quote]

A situation where the police are not needed is, in my opinion, a good thing.

Snootiness however, well, that's an entirely different thing. Might make the cops decide to take a few weeks off and see what happens.

[quote]
A middle-aged man, probably somewhere in his fifties and just starting to go gray around the temples, lightly bumped Enara with his elbow as he power-walked by. She turned to say something, but found herself staring at his back. He had headphones over his ears, and probably couldn’t hear her, anyway. Not that it would have mattered. It was doubtful he would have stopped no matter what she’d said. She rolled her eyes and just let him go. He was probably some corporate type… bank attorney, maybe, or a stockbroker, and those tended to be notoriously oblivious when it came to the mundane things like saying “Excuse me.”
[/quote]

Living here in DC, you meet more than your fair share of these types. They kind of grow like weeds.

[quote]
“Did she talk to you at all about the status of the investigation?”

He nodded. Seated next to him, his wife Adele did the same. “Yes, she did. But I’m afraid I don’t understand… you’re saying there was no kidnapping?”
[/quote]

I can only imagine that this would hurt more...

[quote]
“That’s what it looks like right now… so we need to ask you some more questions about your daughter, have another look at her room…”

“Certainly… but I thought…”

“So did we,” said Anomen. “That’s what the killer wanted.”
[/quote]
Someone's gotta pay.

[quote]
Harold Lewis looked up, his expression registering mild shock. “You… you think it was someone she knew?
[/quote]

You know, in a perfect world, everyone would be as shocked if that question were asked...

[quote]
“It’s actually highly likely,” Anomen answered the question. “Most murders aren’t committed by strangers, Mister Lewis.”
[/quote]

Funny how that happens.... Says something for the statement 'Hell is Other People'

[quote]
[/quote]

Now, that has to be one of the most incongruous statements of all time. Even the most likeable people piss of somebody. Sometimes just for being so damn likeable. :) :(

[quote]
“No…” It was the first word Adele Lewis had said during the entire meeting. Enara turned to her. She was sitting with her head bowed, staring intently at the house’s plush carpet. Her hands were folded calmly in her lap, but it was her face that told the entire story. One look at the wrinkled brow, the running makeup and dark bags under her eyes, and the unyielding frown made it perfectly clear what kind of pain she’d been forced to endure these past few days. It was the kind of pain only a parent having lost a child could know. There was a long, silent pause as the three others in the room waited for Adele to find her composure again.

“Two boys at school…” she said, her voice hoarse, “Michael Sendelbach, from the neighborhood, was one of them. They were bothering Bonnie… bullying her. She came home crying about it a few weeks ago…”
[/quote]

Suspects.... but one would hope that it wouldn't go so far....

[quote]
“It didn’t seem like all that big a deal… kids get bullied…”
[/quote]

*stops for a moment*

*pulls out soap box*

Look, I'm not saying things have to be happiness and light, and adversity can really help a person grow. Having a tough skin can help a great deal in life. But I'm wondering why people seem to lump absolute cruelty in the same category as adversity. Now I know that considering how screwed up a person's head can be as a kid, sometimes empathy isn't really there. But there's a point where bullying stops being acceptable, and that shouldn't be at the severe physical violence level.

I bet that it's near impossible to find anyone from the US public education system who wasn't shockingly beautiful or a superior athlete who didn't loathe junior high and high school (7th to 12th grades) to some degree. What bothers me is whenever you hear someone talk about trying to stop bullying and its resultant cruelty, most people accuse that person of being some weak, coddling person.

Simply amazing.

*puts away soap box*

[quote]
“I am truly sorry, Mister Lewis, for how this turned out.”

He looked up at Anomen, choking back tears. “We… we never should’ve let her walk home from her sitting jobs… it’s just… this is usually such a safe neighborhood.”
[/quote]

I feel for them... but you can't just barricade yourself inside. As soon as you do....

[quote]
Next to him, in the passenger’s seat, Enara made a motion with her left hand. “It’s about a three-block walk, just on the other side of this small park. I’m thinking we should head on over there, anyway. I want to talk to them again, see if there’s anything else they can add to what we already know.”
[/quote]

Bran: "Three blocks to hit the target? Either it was completely and utterly random, or she WAS a target."

[quote]
“Hell, what isn’t?” she shot back with a grin. “Ah, who wants to live next to a bunch of jackass internet millionaires, anyway-” She abruptly cut herself off, nearly having to bite down on her own tongue to do so. “Oh, geez… I totally forgot. I mean, I just… it was…” The conversation came to a brief caesura as she struggled to pry her foot out of her mouth. “You know what? It’s just easier to call me stupid. Total blonde moment. Sorry.”
[/quote]

*snigger* Fired a shot across ol Ano's bows, huh? :D

[quote]
He shook his head. “No, it’s quite all right. I wasn’t aware my family troubles had become such a common topic around the MCU squadroom.”
[/quote]

Squadrooms, frat houses, workplaces; all these places are home to gossip. :D

[quote]
She blushed… and then tried to hide it… which only made it worse. “When that thing came out in the paper a couple of months ago… and then there was-”

He stopped her. “Not one of my father’s finest moments.”
[/quote]

I can only wonder... but considering Cor Derlyn....

[quote]
“I didn’t mean anything, y’know… I was just talking-“

He shrugged. “One gets used to it after a while.”

“I… I guess. Still, I shouldn’t have brought it up. I’m sorry. Just forget I said anything, all right?”

“Ha! All right. I deserved that.”
[/quote]

Imoen: "Hey! How! Anomen is not witty!"

[quote]
The foyer wall had been liberally festooned with decorations – framed family photos, graceful oil paintings, and even a knitted sampler or two. Enara motioned towards one of the picture frames; the full-color print inside depicted a man in a bright-orange jumpsuit and white helmet, apparently in the midst of free-fall. “Is that you?”

Raymond Combs turned his head to see what she was talking about. “Oh, that… yes. That’s at a few thousand feet,” he said, casually. “Skydiving is one of my hobbies. Have you ever been, Detective Kell?”
[/quote]

I always wanted to try that. :(

[quote]
She flashed him a polite smile, trying hard not to put any teeth into it. “I’m a police officer, Mister Combs, that’s more than dangerous enough for me.”
[/quote]

Yes. Yes I imagine it is.

Bran: *nods grimly and passes Enara a beer*

[quote]
“Detective Kell asked me that the last time we spoke. Bonnie usually went home through the nearby Park… Davidson Park.”

“And that night, she left at what time?”

“Well, we got home at a little after nine, so it was a few minutes after that. Maybe around 9:15?” There was a ceramic pitcher, decorated in floral patterns, and some glasses on a tray upon the coffee table. Raymond picked up a glass, filled it with water, and took a sip. “Would you like some water? Please, help yourself.”
[/quote]

We've got a time of death and a time last seen. If that isn't a fake...

[quote]
Enara shook her head. “No thank you. I’m curious, though – you didn’t think that was a little late for a fourteen-year-old girl to be taking a walk in the park?”

[/quote]

There is that...

[quote]
“The park only even has one homeless person,” Rachel commented, complementing her husband’s statement, “and Bonnie was friends with him. She used to bring him food.”
[/quote]

*snigger* The park across from where I work has its own collection of them. Some really colorful ones....

[quote]
“Is that right?” Enara asked, one eyebrow raised in curiosity. She twirled a pencil around between her fingers, casually flipping it end over end – an unconscious habit of hers. “You got a name for this homeless person?”

Mrs. Combs gave a nonchalant shrug. “I’m sure I’ve heard it before, but I don’t really remember what it was…”
[/quote]

Translation: "He doesn't matter, so why should I remember."

[quote]
“Did Bonnie ever talk to you about her personal life?” Anomen chipped in, trying another tack. “ Perhaps problems at school, or -?”

Mr. Combs cut him off. “Of course not. She was our sitter, she didn’t confide in us.” He sighed in mild, but growing irritation. “I really don’t see how this can possibly-“
[/quote]

Such a nice guy. But then again... how much could he know?

[quote]
Enara cut him off, and none too elegantly, either. She stared at him with a cold expression. “Someone smashed in the back of Bonnie Lewis’ skull not long after she walked out your door, Mister Combs…” Every syllable dripped with acid. “Now I’m sorry if it’s an inconvenience to you, but I’m trying to find out who that was.”
[/quote]

Her temper is a little frayed.

[quote]
Seeing that the situation was starting to decay, and rapidly, Rachel tried to play peacemaker. “I just don’t see how we can help…” she said, reasonably, “We didn’t know Bonnie all that well. It was just… she was good with Randall. She was a good sitter.”

Raymond took a quick glance at his watch, then reached for his car keys which were sitting on the end table next to the couch. “Look, if there’s nothing else… we really do have to get to Randall’s chess match…”
[/quote]

*snigger* I don't know why I laugh, but that last section amuses me.

[quote]
Enara was flipping through the pages of one of Bonnie Lewis’ old yearbooks. “How long do you think we should sit around here waiting for this supposed homeless guy?”

Anomen leaned back in the driver’s seat and clasped his hands together behind his head. “You doubt his existence?”

“Well, actually, yeah. Look at the source. We’re talking about Rachel Combs, here; I’d be surprised if this supposed homeless guy wasn’t just some hippie who comes by every now and again to feed the pigeons. She sees some guy with long hair, sitting on a bench, and she assumes he’s a bum living in the park.” She groaned and rolled her eyes. “Damned self-absorbed yuppies.”
[/quote]

LOL And all things considered, she probably has a point. An actual homeless person wouldn't have passed the Homeowner Association Rules. :D

[quote]
He nodded, agreeing with her assessment. “For the last people to see the poor child alive, they don’t seem very upset about it. Hmph. Probably more worried about finding a new babysitter for little Bobby Fisher.” He took a sip from his cup of coffee then set the beverage back down in the car’s drink-holder.
[/quote]

There is that. A certain coldness....

Bran: "There is a point where you insulate yourself enough from reality it doesn't apply. We just used to call it the Admirality."
mean-”
[/quote]

[quote]
“Oh, my God…”

“What? What did you find?”

She grinned sheepishly. “Oh, sorry… I just can’t believe kids still write ‘Have a bitchin’ summer!’ in yearbooks. It’s almost like writing ‘Warmest regards’ or something. Sad. Y’know, I’m really glad I survived high school…” She stopped talking when she caught his look out of the corner of her eye. “What?”
[/quote]

LOL! That.. that's just HI larious.

[quote]
“Oh, hey, check it out… here’s that little jerk Bonnie’s Mom was talking about…”

“Where?”

The photo she tapped her finger against depicted a skinny, tow-headed boy with lightly tanned skin. He looked to be about fourteen or fifteen… maybe sixteen on the outside. Underneath the picture was his name: Michael Sendelbach. “What do you think? A young Ted Bundy?”
[/quote]

Could be... hard to tell by looking...

[quote]
The police radio built into the car’s dashboard suddenly crackled with static, and the harried-sounding voice of the dispatch officer came through over the open channel. “All units respond… arson fire at 45th and Sprang… suspect Firebug being pursued by officers. All units please respond.”

Enara reached back and grabbed hold of her seat belt, yanking it forward and snapping the buckle into the receiver by her left hip. “That’s like, two minutes away from here.”

“I know…”[/quote]

Now we go chase Firebug! Hit him with a fire extinguisher.

Of course, one has to wonder if HE'S involved...

Interesting story Alpha... can't wait to see how it plays out...

VH

#3 Guest_Kendris_*

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:17 PM

You definitely have some novel approaches!

Now I gotta go find the beginning of this one!

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:19 PM

Anomen caught her annoyed expression. He smiled and shrugged. She poked her tongue out at him in a derisive response, then went to ring the doorbell.

Poor Nar gets no sympathy, how unknightly from Anomen. :(

It certainly makes sense, especially if the kidnapping is ruled out.

That is *never* the case – even when it appears so… certainly, I wouldn’t trust a parent to rule on this one.

“No…” It was the first word Adele Lewis had said during the entire meeting. Enara turned to her. She was sitting with her head bowed, staring intently at the house’s plush carpet. Her hands were folded calmly in her lap, but it was her face that told the entire story. One look at the wrinkled brow, the running makeup and dark bags under her eyes, and the unyielding frown made it perfectly clear what kind of pain she’d been forced to endure these past few days. It was the kind of pain only a parent having lost a child could know.

I think we can also cross out the hypothesis of the parents having to do something with that… certainly, the mother.

Still, we’re talking about fourteen olds here… bullying leading to killing is… certainly not impossible, but I’d be surprised if it was actually done by her peers.

Yeah… and Twin Peaks appeared such a tranquil, serene little town, too. :D

Ah, something to do with Cor, I presume. Don’t worry Nar, everyone’s allowed to have some ‘blonde moments’ once in a while. :(

Shows that someone is quite interested in you, maybe? :D

Anomen brought the car to a stop in front of 147 Chester Avenue, the residence of Raymond and Rachel Combs, husband and wife – and probably the last two people to ever see Bonnie Lewis alive.

Except for the killer, right? :D

Hmm, a man looking for some thrills in life…

I guess it’s a point – but I wouldn’t particularly want to wander around in our parks here after the dark. :D

Ouch! Nar seems a bit on the edge…

It’s a possibility that it could have been fed to them to throw them off track, but somehow, Mrs. Combs didn’t give that impression…

“Yeah, I wish they could’ve been more help, too.” She scrubbed her face with a hand. “Anomen, it’s been over a week, and we still don’t have the slightest idea why anyone would want to hurt this little girl.” She pointed to one of the pictures in the yearbook that was open on her lap. “Look at her. Bonnie Lewis. Cutest little thing in the world. Why would anyone lay a hand on her? I mean-”

Sure, and everyone supposedly loved Laura Palmer, too.

Hmm… I hope not, wasn’t there some sexual abuse involved with that creeps victims? :)

:D I don’t suppose those two threads will merge into one, will they?

“I know…”

Hope you have some bug spray with you!

#5 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:52 AM

Snootiness however, well, that's an entirely different thing. Might make the cops decide to take a few weeks off and see what happens.

The problem with being the good guys, however, is that you can't really do stuff like that. It's... well... kinda against the grain of being a "good guy." :P

Living here in DC, you meet more than your fair share of these types. They kind of grow like weeds.

What, the capital of the United States a cesspool of corruption and arrogant bastards? I never would have guessed!

You know, in a perfect world, everyone would be as shocked if that question were asked...

In a perfect world, you wouldn't have murders at all. :D

Now, that has to be one of the most incongruous statements of all time. Even the most likeable people piss of somebody. Sometimes just for being so damn likeable.

True, true, but you have to remember that these are parents talking about their daughter... of course they're going to be biased. Pretty much all parents are.

Look, I'm not saying things have to be happiness and light, and adversity can really help a person grow. Having a tough skin can help a great deal in life. But I'm wondering why people seem to lump absolute cruelty in the same category as adversity. Now I know that considering how screwed up a person's head can be as a kid, sometimes empathy isn't really there. But there's a point where bullying stops being acceptable, and that shouldn't be at the severe physical violence level.

I bet that it's near impossible to find anyone from the US public education system who wasn't shockingly beautiful or a superior athlete who didn't loathe junior high and high school (7th to 12th grades) to some degree. What bothers me is whenever you hear someone talk about trying to stop bullying and its resultant cruelty, most people accuse that person of being some weak, coddling person.

Simply amazing.

Well, as one of the kids that got picked on in school, yeah... I'd have to agree with you. :D

It doesn't make much sense how everyone just assumes that getting teased and shoved into lockers and crap is just part of the high school experience and everyone goes through it. I blame TV. :P You see it happen to kids all the time on television, and people think its funny. Sucks when you're the one getting pelted with stale french fries. Bastards.

Bran: "Three blocks to hit the target? Either it was completely and utterly random, or she WAS a target."

Gotta wonder about that, don't you? Not a lot of time, meaning it's highly likely that somebody knew where she was going to be, and when. Not exactly a comforting thought.

Squadrooms, frat houses, workplaces; all these places are home to gossip.

Basically, wherever people gather to talk... which basically means anywhere is a place for gossip. :P

Imoen: "Hey! How! Anomen is not witty!"

Normally, I'd say no, but given the people he tends to hang out with, I figured he'd have picked up a couple of tricks... maybe not many, but a few.

I always wanted to try that.

I get icky just taking the negative G's on a commercial flight... and while I'm ok with roller coasters, the dips mess me up. Skydiving? Hell, no... NO WAY.

Bran: *nods grimly and passes Enara a beer*

Enara: (Takes a big pull from the bottle) "Ick. Kinda... kinda hoppy..."

:D

*snigger* The park across from where I work has its own collection of them. Some really colorful ones....

Wouldn't be a city park without 'em...

Her temper is a little frayed.

Well, sure... mostly because she's guilty at not being able to solve this thing just yet, and that guilt's frustrating her. It happens, unfortunately. :(

*snigger* I don't know why I laugh, but that last section amuses me.

Same here. I think it's the fact that the whole chess match thing makes them sound way more arrogant and snooty than even their previous dialogue did.

"We've got to get to Randall's chess match." I mean, my God, what a pretentious jackass. :D

LOL! That.. that's just HI larious.

Taken straight from the comic. I thought it worked very well, so I stole it. :(

Now we go chase Firebug! Hit him with a fire extinguisher.

:) :D

#6 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:36 PM

Poor Nar gets no sympathy, how unknightly from Anomen.

Well, this version's a cop, not a knight... little less on the chivalry than normal. :)

That is *never* the case – even when it appears so… certainly, I wouldn’t trust a parent to rule on this one.

True, a lot of parents think their kids could do no wrong... either that, or it's the exact opposite, and they absolutely -hate- their children.

I think we can also cross out the hypothesis of the parents having to do something with that… certainly, the mother.

Enara: "They seem exactly like what you'd expect them to be: couple of parents broken up after losing a daughter."

Yeah… and Twin Peaks appeared such a tranquil, serene little town, too.

At least poor Bonnie didn't wash up on a beach, wrapped in plastic... :P

Though where's Cooper when you need him?

Don’t worry Nar, everyone’s allowed to have some ‘blonde moments’ once in a while.

Don’t worry Nar, everyone’s allowed to have some ‘blonde moments’ once in a while.

Yeah, but she's one of those brunettes that buys into the whole "brunettes versus blondes" rivalry... so she hates it when she accidentally "defects." :D

Hmm, a man looking for some thrills in life…

Sure is.

Sure, and everyone supposedly loved Laura Palmer, too.

Well, they did... pretty much... :D Especially her father... :)

I don’t suppose those two threads will merge into one, will they?

Maaaaaybe. :wink:

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:37 PM

You definitely have some novel approaches!

Heh. Thanks, but I can't take full credit. This is actually largely yanked from a set of comics published by DC, so the storyline isn't... er... quite original. :)

#8 Laufey

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:19 PM

I'm taking that 'probably' with a grain of salt...I'm not trusting this guy at all.

Except the person who killed her, of course. :twisted:

Good for Anomen, I see he's a bit more easygoing than our game Anomen!

Probably so, yes.
Rogues do it from behind.

#9 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:57 PM

Except the person who killed her, of course.

Pretty much... though that's probably not the kind of point you should be bringing up with the poor kid's parents. :D

Good for Anomen, I see he's a bit more easygoing than our game Anomen!

I figured he'd have to be if he wanted to spend any significant length of time in Enara's company without going insane. :oops:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com