Omegas XXXVI: Barn Doors

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:42 AM

- Just a short, little filler-type / transition chapter...

-----

All things considered, their infiltration of the base proper was rather… understated. The encryption keys the team had managed to recover proved to be worth their weight in uranium, getting them through the heavy steel security doors without incident. Given that any “incidents” would likely have taken the form of massive irradiation comparable to sticking a blue dwarf star in your pocket, that was a good thing.

The doors had apparently seen use recently, sliding open smoothly – as smoothly as one might expect given the sheer bulk of fabricated metal being moved. Sunlight from the outside lashed in through the entranceway, the beams bouncing off the metallic surfaces inside, like over-caffeinated children.

Raven put a hand up to shield her eyes from the glare, then led the rest of her group in, slowly, and cautiously. Harlequin was right behind her, alert for anything, living or non, that might threaten the unit. Vixen and Castle followed, spreading out to the sides and creating a wedge-like formation as they advanced. The last three Omegas brought up the rear at an almost sedate pace – almost as if trying to drink in all the scenery.

Cipher, for example, was twirling slowly in place, having a difficult time taking in the entirety of what she was seeing. Giant steel walls, polished smooth, and painted gunmetal gray, stood forbiddingly along the sides of the enormous, man-made cavern. Far above, high-wattage lights had been grafted to the ceiling, illuminating every square inch of the floor below. All along that floor were inlaid panels that looked as if they could slide out of the way at a moment’s notice. What purpose that would serve, she didn’t know. “Wow,” she breathed, awestruck by the scale of the construction.

Even Falynn and Imoen with their natural irreverence, were finding it hard to feign nonchalance – they tried, anyway.

“Roomy,” the older of the two sisters quipped.

“Décor could use a little work, though.”

“Just as long as it isn’t pink.”

Nalia cut back into the conversation with a question. “Why did they even build this to begin with? It seems like such a waste of space. It’s so… empty.”

“It’s a buffer zone.” That was Valygar. “If an enemy tried to mount a frontal assault, this area would become a slaughterhouse for anyone unfortunate enough to be in it when the defense systems were activated.”

“You did notice the weird tiling on the floor, right?” Imoen remarked off-handedly.

“I’m probably going to regret asking, but… yeah, what’s with that?”

Spectre answered her question with an almost casual shrug. “Most likely recessed gunwells scattered all over the floor. The panels swing away, and automated laser or neutron turrets spring up in their place.”

“My money’s on laser emplacements,” Harlequin commented. “I’d say upwards of two dozen of them,” she said, running a critical eye over the cavern floor. “There’s probably enough concentrated firepower in this room to stop a small tank – assuming someone was dumb enough to try driving one in here in the first place.”

Nalia was fighting hard not to let her “concern” get the best of her. “So… um… then why are we still standing here?” she asked, her voice bearing the slightest tremble.

Jaheira’s voice echoed slightly from some distance away. She hitched a thumb over her shoulder, indicating something behind her. “Because the doors just closed behind us. Falynn, you didn’t shut them, did you?”

“Nope. Anyone else close ‘em?”

Imoen shook her head. “No, I’m pretty sure we were all born in a barn.”

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:38 PM

That’s not nearly enough to quench my Omega-thirst! ;)

Cipher, for example, was twirling slowly in place, having a difficult time taking in the entirety of what she was seeing. Giant steel walls, polished smooth, and painted gunmetal gray, stood forbiddingly along the sides of the enormous, man-made cavern. Far above, high-wattage lights had been grafted to the ceiling, illuminating every square inch of the floor below. All along that floor were inlaid panels that looked as if they could slide out of the way at a moment’s notice. What purpose that would serve, she didn’t know. “Wow,” she breathed, awestruck by the scale of the construction.

I’m reminded of the feeling of entering those abandoned army depots in Fallout 2. A bit of a creepy sensation.

“It’s a buffer zone.” That was Valygar. “If an enemy tried to mount a frontal assault, this area would become a slaughterhouse for anyone unfortunate enough to be in it when the defense systems were activated.”

Charming… and you’re currently walking through that slaughterhouse…

Spectre answered her question with an almost casual shrug. “Most likely recessed gunwells scattered all over the floor. The panels swing away, and automated laser or neutron turrets spring up in their place.”

That’s just even more reassuring, now isn’t it? :)

Jaheira’s voice echoed slightly from some distance away. She hitched a thumb over her shoulder, indicating something behind her. “Because the doors just closed behind us. Falynn, you didn’t shut them, did you?”

They’re probably automated or something. *shrug* I’m sure there’s no need to be concerned.

Yeah, but what does that have to do with anything! :)

More Omegas, please! :lol:

#3 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:39 AM

That’s not nearly enough to quench my Omega-thirst!

Well, it's your fault I'm only posting as much as I am. ;)

That enormous buffer you had on Rush, well, I got jealous of it... tried to form my own buffer. But now that I have one (even if it's a small one), I can't bring myself to post a chapter until after I've written another one to replace it in the buffer... or, ideally, more than one.

So, it's all your fault. :(

I’m reminded of the feeling of entering those abandoned army depots in Fallout 2. A bit of a creepy sensation.

The empty mutant base can be really creepy, yeah. Same thing with all the abandoned vaults. Nothing quite like running through a place that hundreds of people -died- in years ago.

Charming… and you’re currently walking through that slaughterhouse…

:lol: Hence Nalia's later question:

"Why are we standing here?!"

:)

That’s just even more reassuring, now isn’t it?

Well, it might be if you were -behind- the weapons instead of in front of them. :P

Yeah, but what does that have to do with anything!

I'm not sure if you're joking, so sorry if this comes across as patronizing.

There's a saying when you walk in a room:

"Hey, close the door! What, were you born in a barn?!"

That's what Imoen's joke was alluding to. :)

#4 Laufey

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:58 AM

Whoooah! :D

Now that I totally agree with! Turquoise maybe, I like that. But not pink.

Eeep. :D Time to move, maybe?

Oh dear...time for a demonstration of the said defense system, it seems. :D
Rogues do it from behind.

#5 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 12 July 2005 - 06:34 PM

Unacceptable. I want a nice 50 page long chapter with angst and love and death and things blowing up and bunnies!!!!

Especially bunnies. :D

Or.. this will do just fine. Must get more caffiene....

All things considered, their infiltration of the base proper was rather… understated. The encryption keys the team had managed to recover proved to be worth their weight in uranium, getting them through the heavy steel security doors without incident. Given that any “incidents” would likely have taken the form of massive irradiation comparable to sticking a blue dwarf star in your pocket, that was a good thing.

The age old question, which is better? Getting through the doors or being reduced to your component atoms. Hmm...

Our answer after the commercial break. :D

The doors had apparently seen use recently, sliding open smoothly – as smoothly as one might expect given the sheer bulk of fabricated metal being moved. Sunlight from the outside lashed in through the entranceway, the beams bouncing off the metallic surfaces inside, like over-caffeinated children.

I love that simile. :D

Raven put a hand up to shield her eyes from the glare, then led the rest of her group in, slowly, and cautiously. Harlequin was right behind her, alert for anything, living or non, that might threaten the unit. Vixen and Castle followed, spreading out to the sides and creating a wedge-like formation as they advanced. The last three Omegas brought up the rear at an almost sedate pace – almost as if trying to drink in all the scenery.

Or just chillin. :D

Confederation Corps of Engineers: "We build to impress. Then we blow you up."

Even Falynn and Imoen with their natural irreverence, were finding it hard to feign nonchalance – they tried, anyway.

Sounds rather impressive.

No pink!! YAH!!!

Agreed

Nalia cut back into the conversation with a question. “Why did they even build this to begin with? It seems like such a waste of space. It’s so… empty.”

Depending on the height of the doors, it could be a staging area, launch port for star/aircraft, or just the base opera hall. :)

Also likely, but what is with the height of the ceiling. That would be unnecessary unless there are galleries above to fire from.

“You did notice the weird tiling on the floor, right?” Imoen remarked off-handedly.

Weapon emplacements. :)

Wee.... shooting gallery.

Bran: "Now that's what I call a foyer."

Jaheira: "Remind me not to let you design any home we might build."

Bran: "What? You don't want neutron cannons by the front door?"

Jaheira: "Preferably not."

Bran: "Alright, we'll put em in the front yard."

Jaheira: *sigh*

“My money’s on laser emplacements,” Harlequin commented. “I’d say upwards of two dozen of them,” she said, running a critical eye over the cavern floor. “There’s probably enough concentrated firepower in this room to stop a small tank – assuming someone was dumb enough to try driving one in here in the first place.”

Orc Captain: "Good thing I brought a BIG tank."

Nalia was fighting hard not to let her “concern” get the best of her. “So… um… then why are we still standing here?” she asked, her voice bearing the slightest tremble.

Just waiting to see if the defense systems decide it would be fun to blow you into little chunks? Might tickle or something. :D

Base Defense Computer: "Intruders Detected in Main Entrance Bay. Sealing Outer Doors. Beginning Primary Cannon Start Up. Initializing Popcorn Machine. Activating Hydrogen Powered Welcome Mat."

You know, that probably has to be one of the more annoying phrases in the english language. I mean it fits, but damn if it didn't annoy me when my dad used it.

Interesting beginning to the fort sequence.... so when does all the FUN begin? :D

VH

#6 Weyoun

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:15 PM

Barn doors... isn't that a reference to the hangar?

Now that's bouncy. Trust me, I've seen those kind of children. :D

It's a long drive only to die. :D

:D Ah, there we go.
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:05 AM

Whoooah!

Kinda big for a mere "seismic monitoring station," no? :)

Now that I totally agree with! Turquoise maybe, I like that. But not pink.

Good choice. I'm fond of blue and green, myself.

Oh dear...time for a demonstration of the said defense system, it seems.

Yeah. They could just toss up some marshmallows and watch the laser turrets roast 'em. :(

#8 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:11 AM

Unacceptable. I want a nice 50 page long chapter with angst and love and death and things blowing up and bunnies!!!!

I -do- have a buffer, but I'm not sure how many pages it actually is... some blowing stuff up does happen, though... and, even better, I asked UU for some help with a Rube-Goldbergian style device... so that should be showing up a few chapters down the line. ;)

I love that simile.

Just love it when random imagery pops into your head like that. When it works, it tends to work well. ;)

Or just chillin.

Or maybe even "chillaxin' "... I love that "word." ;)

That motto is stenciled on Jan's uniform. ;)

I know... Jan's a member of the Engineering Corps. How scary is that? :D

Depending on the height of the doors, it could be a staging area, launch port for star/aircraft, or just the base opera hall.

Nope. Hangar bays later. ;)

Also likely, but what is with the height of the ceiling. That would be unnecessary unless there are galleries above to fire from.

I forgot to mention those... but yeah, there'd be some of those. :D

Weapon emplacements.

You know me too well... or maybe you've just seen like every military sci-fi movie ever made. :D

Base Defense Computer: "Intruders Detected in Main Entrance Bay. Sealing Outer Doors. Beginning Primary Cannon Start Up. Initializing Popcorn Machine. Activating Hydrogen Powered Welcome Mat."

Where are the napalm hoses? I want napalm hoses! :)

You know, that probably has to be one of the more annoying phrases in the english language. I mean it fits, but damn if it didn't annoy me when my dad used it.

I never actually heard it used... I mean, I'd certainly heard it, but my folks never used it, so I guess it just doesn't bother me the same way it irks you. Oh well. :D

Interesting beginning to the fort sequence.... so when does all the FUN begin?

Weapons fire in a couple of chapters. Promise. :(

#9 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:15 AM

Barn doors... isn't that a reference to the hangar?

It can be, but I just used it in this instance as an allusion to the joke Imoen closes out the chapter with.

Now that's bouncy. Trust me, I've seen those kind of children.

This is why I could never become a teacher. Honestly, I have no idea where you find the patience. I'm kinda horrible with kids. I just can't relate to them, and I tend to get annoyed easy, which is not at all good when you're dealing with young ones.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly respect those who can pull that off, I could just never do it myself.

And it's not just the idea of dealing with kids, either. I just hate having to explain something and not having folks "get it" right away. It's a personality trait I got from my Dad, apparently. :(

It's a long drive only to die.

Yeah, well, it's not like Dominion troops got anything better to do, right? :)

#10 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:14 AM

I -do- have a buffer, but I'm not sure how many pages it actually is... some blowing stuff up does happen, though... and, even better, I asked UU for some help with a Rube-Goldbergian style device... so that should be showing up a few chapters down the line. ;)

I look forward to it.

So do the bunnies. And they are quite... EVIL. ;)

That motto is stenciled on Jan's uniform. :D

I know... Jan's a member of the Engineering Corps. How scary is that? :(

I rate that as a 6.8 out of 10 on the Oh No! Oh No! We're Going to F@^#ing Die! scale. ;) ;) ;)

You know me too well... or maybe you've just seen like every military sci-fi movie ever made. ;)

Maybe not all of them... but... quite a few. :D

Oh.. and tho it isn't.. Batman Beyond ROCKS. Does it come in Black? :D :D

Where are the napalm hoses? I want napalm hoses! :)

Base Defense Computer: "Negative Presence of Napalm Hoses. Initiating Startup Sequence for Thermite Plasma Distribution Nozzles."

And woohoo! Weapons fire soon! Weapons Free!!!

#11 Guest_BlueNose_*

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:23 PM

-----

It beats my last infiltration, which involving walking up to the front door in uniform and announcing a surprise inspection by a team of auditors. And we had the forged ID to prove it.

In my experience, children don’t need caffeine to be hyperactive.

Pay attention. This isn’t a pleasure cruise people.
Master Sergeants through the ages.

It’s big. And grey. And … big and grey.

Pink drapes, I think, around the walls there and there. And we’ll have some carpet, in cream and green. An arboretum along the wall on the left, and lets change the colour scheme to something edgier, perhaps midnight blue with electric green flashes.

They’ve got to have somewhere to use as a loading bay, which I would bet it is used for far more than the defensive function.

Which is after all why people make large tanks.

Because sometimes conversation is more important than survival.

I really hate that phrase - hate it hate it hate it. :)

#12 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:52 PM

I rate that as a 6.8 out of 10 on the Oh No! Oh No! We're Going to F@^#ing Die! scale.

I'm guessing 10/10 would be something like "Hey, Immy... go play with this pocket nuke..."

"Ooooooh! Shiny!" type of thing? Yes? :D

Oh.. and tho it isn't.. Batman Beyond ROCKS. Does it come in Black?

Beyond? Or Begins? The former is the cartoon series, the latter is the recent movie. I assume you mean the movie, especially given the "Does it come in black" line.

:shock:

And yeah, I was a little weirded out by that Batmobile design... I actually really like the sports car design they've been using in the most recent Batman cartoon... though the futuristic hover-car they were using in the Batman Beyond cartoon is pretty neat, too... it's got missiles. :evil:

#13 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:55 PM

It beats my last infiltration, which involving walking up to the front door in uniform and announcing a surprise inspection by a team of auditors.

That's funny. I've actually got something in the works that uses that very trick. :shock:

In my experience, children don’t need caffeine to be hyperactive.

I actually wasn't all that hyperactive as a child. I was one of the quiet ones. :)

It’s big. And grey. And … big and grey.

And full of nasty guns and stuff! Can't forget that part. :evil:

Pink drapes, I think, around the walls there and there. And we’ll have some carpet, in cream and green. An arboretum along the wall on the left, and lets change the colour scheme to something edgier, perhaps midnight blue with electric green flashes.

:D Your taxpayer dollars at work, folks.

They’ve got to have somewhere to use as a loading bay, which I would bet it is used for far more than the defensive function.

It's the main entrance, yeah, so it's often used for getting supplies in... however, there are lots of other ways in... maintenance tunnels built into the surrounding rock used for various purposes, stuff like that.

Because sometimes conversation is more important than survival.

Sometimes it's just more interesting. Not getting shot at can be overrated.

I really hate that phrase - hate it hate it hate it.

Seems to be a common sentiment, yeah... having never really known anyone who seriously used it, it's never been more than just a silly phrase to me... but... okay... :)

#14 Guest_Kendris_*

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:31 AM

Bhaalspawn in space?

Okay...this looks entertaining as hell...how far back do I have to go to find the beginning?

#15 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:02 AM

Bhaalspawn in space?

Okay...this looks entertaining as hell...how far back do I have to go to find the beginning?

Um. Yes. Bhaalspawn in space... :roll:

Talk about niche markets. ;)

Anyway, I think I started this maybe like a year, year and a half ago? Something like that. Never got around to lumping them all together in a single place, though, I'm afraid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com