Gotham Central: In the Line of Duty (Part 4)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:51 AM

Notemeal Versus Plot Bunny: No-Holds-Barred-Steel-Cage-Match!

1. Enara gets to the morgue. See how your expectations of how this would turn out match up to the actuality. I actually took the easy way out and stuck fairly close to the comic's dialogue.

2. Aside from Sarevok, replaced another character from the original comic with a BG-character. Fun! Anyway, won't see much of him in this section, but he'll play a larger role later on.

3. Short section overall, but the resolution is coming soon. Freeze is going down, and it's happening soon. Won't be the end, though... there's still that kidnapping to wrap up. :)

4. Language. Again. (Shrug)

-----

Kane County Morgue

“Listen… are you sure you’re up to this, Jaheira?”

“I work in this morgue, Enara, and my husband is… was… a cop.” The older of the two women turned her head to the side and shot her younger friend a stern look. “I don’t have any illusions about life and death.”

Enara first slowed her pace, then stopped, and Jaheira was forced to stop walking or leave the other woman behind. She looked backwards over her shoulder to find Enara raising her hands in weak protest. “I know, but this is different-”

The response was terse and blunt. “I know that, too. Captain Sawyer told me.”

It was pointless – Enara was fairly certain of that, having experienced years of Jaheira’s stubbornness firsthand. The most rational solution would have been to just forego all attempts at dissuasion. The only problem with that idea was that Enara knew what to expect, knew what Jaheira would find in that morgue, and her entire essence was screaming at her to try and spare her friend that pain. “Because you don’t have to identify him. Officially, we know who he is… and I really don’t think you-”

Jaheira shook her head and let the brave façade slip for a moment. “I have to see him,” she said. “It won’t be real until I see him. I look at dead people all day long, and every night I wait for the phone to ring… or someone to knock on the door… to tell me…”She trailed off. “And – and… it just doesn’t feel real somehow…” Her eyes were closed, but she held her chin high, and had her fists clenched tightly at her sides, as if mustering the courage she’d need to walk through the door that now stood in front of her. She took a breath and looked Enara squarely in the eye. Her voice seemed almost devoid of any emotion. “I don’t care what they did to him. I have to see this.”

Not knowing what else she could do, the police detective nodded mutely and nudged the door open with one of her bandaged hands. She rested the other on the shorter woman’s shoulder – a feeble (by her own reckoning) attempt at a comforting gesture. The two of them stepped through.

William Rourke was busy working on one of the many bodies that came through Kane County Morgue on a daily basis. He looked up as Enara entered, then caught sight of Jaheira following right behind her. He swallowed, already dreading what was soon to follow. “Jaheira… oh… I… I was just…”

“There’s no need for you to say anything, Bill,” Jaheira said, trying to defuse the awkward moment. “I just… I want to see him.”

He coughed and spent a couple of seconds trying to clear his throat, then made his way over towards the large walk-in freezer and wrapped a latex-gloved hand around the handle. “We… I’m sorry, but…” He turned the handle and opened the door. A blast of cold air hit them in the faces, and Rourke ushered them through the doorway. “It’s just… we tried to thaw him out, but he started…” He winced. “melting…

Puffs of breath crystallized in front of the three of them as Rourke continued his macabre recitation of the litany of events. “We don’t completely understand how, but his entire cellular structure has been turned to ice. I have no idea how to reverse it… if it’s even possible.”

Enara looked on in horror as Bill Rourke approached the table where Khalid’s body lay. The remains were covered with a clean, white sheet, but the form underneath certainly didn’t look human anymore. She felt her stomach lurch, involuntarily remembering the way Freeze had splintered the body and sent icy fragments flying in all directions. He’d left behind… chunks… of flash-frozen flesh strewn about the floor of the hotel room and corridor.

“I’m… I’m sorry, Jaheira… but he’s… he’s not a pretty sight.” Bill raised the sheet with one hand.

Enara was standing behind her and watched her stiffen almost immediately. Her hands, still at her sides, started to tremble.

“Oh, God… wh-what… what did they do to my husband?” Jaheira’s voice cracked and dropped to a hoarse whisper. She stared at the body for several seconds, the sound of ragged breathing the only noise she made. The slight quiver of her shoulders was the only discernable motion. It took several more deathly silent seconds before she realized Enara was standing next to her, looking at the profile of her face with a sad, yet earnest expression. She turned, and before her mind even had time to register the action, her head was buried in Enara’s shoulder. She could feel the tears, hot and moist, seeping through the thin material of her friend’s shirt. “How, Enara? How could someone-”

Enara was crying, too. “I’m so sorry… I couldn’t save him, Jaheira… I’m sorry…”

-----

Squadroom: Major Crimes Unit
Gotham Central

The squadroom was full of detectives, all members of the Gotham City Police Department’s Major Crimes Unit. Both the day and night shifts had been called in, resulting in a collective force of several dozen strong, all of whom were looking grimly determined to hunt down the man who’d murdered one of their own.

Captain Maggie Sawyer had been the branch commander ever since giving up her position as head of the Metropolis Special Crime Unit some time ago. She’d transferred to Gotham, even taking a voluntary demotion to be allowed to continue working the field. She stood in front of the gathered detectives – her detectives – and whistled to get their attention. “Listen up, people!” she called out, before turning the floor over to Renee Montoya.

Renee was standing over by a green-colored chalkboard, writing items on its surface in neat, block lettering. She nodded at Sawyer. “Thanks, Captain. Okay… just to make sure everyone’s on the same page, I’m going to hit these points again in brief. At approximately Oh-Six this morning, Detectives Kell and Marael went to question some men at the West Side Inn on a tip in connection with the Lewis Kidnapping. At the hotel, they encountered Victor Fries with an unidentified associate known only as ‘Danny.’ Fries subdued both detectives, then murdered Detective Marael. Some time in the next few hours, he also apparently killed Danny…” She sighed. “And now you know everything we do.”

One of the other MCU detectives, a man of Hispanic descent, and in his mid 30’s, raised a hand. Montoya acknowledged him. “Detective Azaveda?”

“Any chance Freeze is connected to the Lewis grab?”

She shook her head sadly in response. “No… it was just rotten fucking luck, Josh.”

Sawyer, who was still standing next to Montoya, interjected a statement of her own. “The Lewis kidnapping case has been handed to the FBI for the time being.” Her mouth was set in a grim line. “Detective Marael’s murder is our only priority right now.”

Montoya went back to the chalkboard and began pointing at the items scrawled on its surface. At the top of the board, in big, bold, underlined letters was the name “Freeze.” Underneath, she’d listed several bullet-points – things such as “organized criminal,” “intelligent,” “technical savvy,” and the like.

“There are a couple of things we know for certain about Freeze,” she said. “He can’t live without his suit, and apparently, the suit requires diamonds to function. He strikes at the heart of his victims…” She trailed off and rested the side of her head against the chalkboard for a second or two before continuing. “… he likes people to suffer. Now we don’t know what he’s planning, or where, but it’s probably something big. Danny’s corpse was found with an empty truck, so we’re certain they were hauling some serious cargo. As for the when, we figure it has to be soon, because Freeze knows as well as we do, that as soon as the sun goes down, he’s going to have a bat up his ass.”

That statement elicited a burst of annoyed muttering.

Montoya sighed. “I know.” She nodded towards Allen. “Cris has the team assignments.”

“Hartley, Azaveda, you’ve got known-associate detail. Anchev, Crowe, I want you talk to the city’s diamond merchants, see if there have been any major thefts in the last few months, that sort of thing. Burke, Procjnow, I’ll need you to see what you can dig up on the cryogenics front. What kind of equipment Freeze would need or use, how he could get it… you know the drill. Patton, Delryn, you two get to shake down some skels for info. See what you can pick up out on the street…”

As Crispus handed out everyone’s assignments, Montoya stared up at the clock hanging on the far wall. It read 12:18.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:24 AM

1. Enara gets to the morgue. See how your expectations of how this would turn out match up to the actuality. I actually took the easy way out and stuck fairly close to the comic's dialogue.

I still say that if you don’t make up to her for all this in the Omega-versa, my new baseball bat will see its first actual use. :D

:D

3. Short section overall, but the resolution is coming soon. Freeze is going down, and it's happening soon. Won't be the end, though... there's still that kidnapping to wrap up. :)

But that’s not important! :D

“I work in this morgue, Enara, and my husband is… was… a cop.” The older of the two women turned her head to the side and shot her younger friend a stern look. “I don’t have any illusions about life and death.”

:) Oh sure, that won’t affect me, of course not. Hmm, think she could have a masochistic streak? It sometimes seems that way… *sigh*

It was pointless – Enara was fairly certain of that, having experienced years of Jaheira’s stubbornness firsthand. The most rational solution would have been to just forego all attempts at dissuasion. The only problem with that idea was that Enara knew what to expect, knew what Jaheira would find in that morgue, and her entire essence was screaming at her to try and spare her friend that pain. “Because you don’t have to identify him. Officially, we know who he is… and I really don’t think you-”

Yeah, but good luck stopping her… Jaheira’s one of those people who simply doesn’t know how and when to give in.

William Rourke was busy working on one of the many bodies that came through Kane County Morgue on a daily basis. He looked up as Enara entered, then caught sight of Jaheira following right behind her. He swallowed, already dreading what was soon to follow. “Jaheira… oh… I… I was just…”

Nobody wants to see her reaction. :)

Enara looked on in horror as Bill Rourke approached the table where Khalid’s body lay. The remains were covered with a clean, white sheet, but the form underneath certainly didn’t look human anymore. She felt her stomach lurch, involuntarily remembering the way Freeze had splintered the body and sent icy fragments flying in all directions. He’d left behind… chunks… of flash-frozen flesh strewn about the floor of the hotel room and corridor.

Man, that *is* harsh.

“Oh, God… wh-what… what did they do to my husband?” Jaheira’s voice cracked and dropped to a hoarse whisper. She stared at the body for several seconds, the sound of ragged breathing the only noise she made. The slight quiver of her shoulders was the only discernable motion. It took several more deathly silent seconds before she realized Enara was standing next to her, looking at the profile of her face with a sad, yet earnest expression. She turned, and before her mind even had time to register the action, her head was buried in Enara’s shoulder. She could feel the tears, hot and moist, seeping through the thin material of her friend’s shirt. “How, Enara? How could someone-”

:( :( :D

Sawyer, who was still standing next to Montoya, interjected a statement of her own. “The Lewis kidnapping case has been handed to the FBI for the time being.” Her mouth was set in a grim line. “Detective Marael’s murder is our only priority right now.”

Does FBI operate in Gotham City? I thought the city was pretty much cut out, excluded from the rest of the country?

“There are a couple of things we know for certain about Freeze,” she said. “He can’t live without his suit, and apparently, the suit requires diamonds to function. He strikes at the heart of his victims…” She trailed off and rested the side of her head against the chalkboard for a second or two before continuing. “… he likes people to suffer. Now we don’t know what he’s planning, or where, but it’s probably something big. Danny’s corpse was found with an empty truck, so we’re certain they were hauling some serious cargo. As for the when, we figure it has to be soon, because Freeze knows as well as we do, that as soon as the sun goes down, he’s going to have a bat up his ass.”

That statement elicited a burst of annoyed muttering.

Heh heh. Hmm, I wonder if one day if this bat-resentment won’t reach a level where some hothead cop tries to take out the bat on his own.

“Hartley, Azaveda, you’ve got known-associate detail. Anchev, Crowe, I want you talk to the city’s diamond merchants, see if there have been any major thefts in the last few months, that sort of thing. Burke, Procjnow, I’ll need you to see what you can dig up on the cryogenics front. What kind of equipment Freeze would need or use, how he could get it… you know the drill. Patton, Delryn, you two get to shake down some skels for info. See what you can pick up out on the street…”

Delryn. Heh heh. The overeager young copper? :D

As Crispus handed out everyone’s assignments, Montoya stared up at the clock hanging on the far wall. It read 12:18.

Time for another coffee? :D

#3 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:40 PM

I still say that if you don’t make up to her for all this in the Omega-versa, my new baseball bat will see its first actual use.

Well, for what it's worth, I don't plan to be mean to the Omega version forever... just a little longer. I don't want to give anything away, though, so no details, I'm afraid. :)

But that’s not important!

I know you're kidding, but even so...

It -is- important. To Enara, at least. Khalid's last case was the Lewis kidnapping... Enara's going to want to close it, to solve it, almost more for his sake than the actual victim's. (Though, of course, she's worried about that little girl, herself. :D )

Oh sure, that won’t affect me, of course not. Hmm, think she could have a masochistic streak? It sometimes seems that way… *sigh*

Maybe, maybe not... I think it's just that she's -stubborn,- and not accustomed to letting -anything- dictate how she thinks or feels...

Yeah, but good luck stopping her… Jaheira’s one of those people who simply doesn’t know how and when to give in.

Exactly my point.

Man, that *is* harsh.

Again, kinda the point. This isn't the silly cartoon villain who goes around throwing ice cubes at people. :)

Does FBI operate in Gotham City? I thought the city was pretty much cut out, excluded from the rest of the country?

Gotham City was only exiled from the rest of the country during the events of the last piece which took place during the time Gotham was declared a "No Man's Land" by the rest of the United States (through a Congressional declaration, of course).

Lobbyists from various corporations (Including WayneCorp) managed to get that declaration revoked, and Gotham was rebuilt. So while the city still has its trouble with supervillains, it is, once again, technically part of the USA, and still under the jurisdiction of the FBI.

Heh heh. Hmm, I wonder if one day if this bat-resentment won’t reach a level where some hothead cop tries to take out the bat on his own.

It's happened before, and it most likely will happen again. -When- it happens is anyone's guess.

Delryn. Heh heh. The overeager young copper?

Something like that. :)

Time for another coffee?

Actually, I put the time reference in there to try and emphasize that they don't have a lot of time before the sun goes down and Batman starts hunting Freeze for them. (Shrug)

#4 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:11 PM

The humanity!! :(

4. Language. Again. (Shrug)

Gotta watch that stuff. Soon you'll have words just running all over the place, willy nilly and all that. :(

Er... but some deaths are more horrible than others...

Enara first slowed her pace, then stopped, and Jaheira was forced to stop walking or leave the other woman behind. She looked backwards over her shoulder to find Enara raising her hands in weak protest. “I know, but this is different-”

The response was terse and blunt. “I know that, too. Captain Sawyer told me.”

It's really bad...

Enara.. already carrying a great deal of pain is fighting to keep poor Jaheira from taking any more on...

Jaheira shook her head and let the brave façade slip for a moment. “I have to see him,” she said. “It won’t be real until I see him. I look at dead people all day long, and every night I wait for the phone to ring… or someone to knock on the door… to tell me…”She trailed off. “And – and… it just doesn’t feel real somehow…” Her eyes were closed, but she held her chin high, and had her fists clenched tightly at her sides, as if mustering the courage she’d need to walk through the door that now stood in front of her. She took a breath and looked Enara squarely in the eye. Her voice seemed almost devoid of any emotion. “I don’t care what they did to him. I have to see this.”

This may be the dialogue from the story but it fits Jaheira so well. The powerful spirit, the desire to see him, all of it.

Poor lass...

Another person who really doesn't want to be part of this....

He coughed and spent a couple of seconds trying to clear his throat, then made his way over towards the large walk-in freezer and wrapped a latex-gloved hand around the handle. “We… I’m sorry, but…” He turned the handle and opened the door. A blast of cold air hit them in the faces, and Rourke ushered them through the doorway. “It’s just… we tried to thaw him out, but he started…” He winced. “melting…

:D Gulp :) Melting? Ugh.

Puffs of breath crystallized in front of the three of them as Rourke continued his macabre recitation of the litany of events. “We don’t completely understand how, but his entire cellular structure has been turned to ice. I have no idea how to reverse it… if it’s even possible.”

That... that shouldn't be possible. And I think I have an inkling on what dear Freeze is up to....

I don't even want to think about watching that....

“I’m… I’m sorry, Jaheira… but he’s… he’s not a pretty sight.” Bill raised the sheet with one hand.

Enara was standing behind her and watched her stiffen almost immediately. Her hands, still at her sides, started to tremble.

:) That.. that is some powerful writing sir.

Bran: "Bastard."

Viga: "I know a mage with a penchant for fire spells. Melt this son of a bitch to a puddle."

Aleria: "A simple smiting should suffice."

:)

Renee was standing over by a green-colored chalkboard, writing items on its surface in neat, block lettering. She nodded at Sawyer. “Thanks, Captain. Okay… just to make sure everyone’s on the same page, I’m going to hit these points again in brief. At approximately Oh-Six this morning, Detectives Kell and Marael went to question some men at the West Side Inn on a tip in connection with the Lewis Kidnapping. At the hotel, they encountered Victor Fries with an unidentified associate known only as ‘Danny.’ Fries subdued both detectives, then murdered Detective Marael. Some time in the next few hours, he also apparently killed Danny…” She sighed. “And now you know everything we do.”

Bran: "Which is a whole lot, but not much."

I am an Eff Bee Eye Agent!

Montoya went back to the chalkboard and began pointing at the items scrawled on its surface. At the top of the board, in big, bold, underlined letters was the name “Freeze.” Underneath, she’d listed several bullet-points – things such as “organized criminal,” “intelligent,” “technical savvy,” and the like.

Not 'snappy dresser' and 'mean tango dancer'?

Kick every rock until something scurries loose.

Time is a wastin and Freeze needs a killin.

And frankly.. I guess that was my biggest problem with the whole Batman series. After a while, it just seems like either the Bat or some enterprising cop would simply down the insane supervillain of the day and get it over with, instead of convicting them and sending them to Arkham only for them to escape... again.

Still, makes for good drama and a good story.

VH

#5 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:59 PM

Er... but some deaths are more horrible than others...

I think she was probably expecting something -mundane- like "blunt force trauma to the back of the head..." Even though Sawyer told her pretty much exactly what happened, it just didn't sink in how much worse the reality could be than what she expected.

Enara.. already carrying a great deal of pain is fighting to keep poor Jaheira from taking any more on...

I guess Enara doesn't much believe in the idea of "misery loves company."

This may be the dialogue from the story but it fits Jaheira so well. The powerful spirit, the desire to see him, all of it.

(Nod) I felt it fit as well, which is why I decided to leave a lot of it as it was.

Melting? Ugh.

Yeah. Exactly. First time I read that, it almost made me a little queasy.

That... that shouldn't be possible.

No, no it shouldn't, but then again... this -is- a comic book we're talking about here.

And I think I have an inkling on what dear Freeze is up to...

Well, you'll get to find out when I put up the next section.

Aleria: "A simple smiting should suffice."

I think most people would be all for nuclear annihilation at this point...

Bran: "Which is a whole lot, but not much."

Unfortunately, that's pretty much the case. Hence why the various detectives are all being called in to investigate this one case. Blanket the city with a presence, try to find every last piece of information that could possibly help find Freeze and stop him.

You... you live like across the street from the Feds' Quantico facility, don't you? :wink:

And frankly.. I guess that was my biggest problem with the whole Batman series. After a while, it just seems like either the Bat or some enterprising cop would simply down the insane supervillain of the day and get it over with, instead of convicting them and sending them to Arkham only for them to escape... again.

Oh, totally... but that's basically true of anything like this... why doesn't Superman just bash Luthor's skull in with his fists? Why don't the X-men just sneak into the mutant haters' houses and slaughter them in the middle of the night? Etc. etc.

For what it's worth, though, obviously, there are times when even the good guys go rogue for a little bit... and those do make for some good plot lines... if you've never read it, the Knightfall plotline (For Batman) is a good example of Batman being not quite as... forgiving... as he normally is. It's also one of the first major experiences I had with the main DC Comics continuity version of Batman... and it's good. :shock:

Incidentally, the whole idea of the "heroes" saying "Screw it, this guy's too dangerous to be allowed to live" is one of the reasons I find The Huntress an interesting character.

http://www.gothamcit....com/cave4.html

Unlike the rest of the Bat crew, she doesn't always restrict herself to non-lethal methods... which pisses Bruce off something fierce. :wink:

#6 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:07 AM

Fatality!!!

*bunny rips off head of notemeal with 7" long blood dripping fangs* :shock:

3. Short section overall, but the resolution is coming soon. Freeze is going down, and it's happening soon. Won't be the end, though... there's still that kidnapping to wrap up. :wink:

and here we all forgot...it seemed originally that the whole kidnapping was staged by freeze..

;)

in ancient times, the family washed and dressed the body before burial...it gives them a chance to do one last thing for the deceased and say their good bye..

when the water in a cell freezes, it crystalizes, and expands in volume...shattering every single cell from the inside out... :wink:

liquid helium...

squat

She shook her head sadly in response. “No… it was just rotten fucking luck, Josh.”

or so you would have us believe...

so the fbi still handles all kidnap cases...

flap...flap... ;)

ano!!!

not much time.. :wink: :roll: :lol:

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:30 AM

Fatality!!!

*bunny rips off head of notemeal with 7" long blood dripping fangs*

Yeah, I never played a lot of Mortal Kombat. Street Fighter was my game. :shock:

and here we all forgot...it seemed originally that the whole kidnapping was staged by freeze..

Well, it wasn't.

when the water in a cell freezes, it crystalizes, and expands in volume...shattering every single cell from the inside out...

Yes. We're aware. :wink:

so the fbi still handles all kidnap cases...

Technically, the FBI -does- handle all kidnap cases... but for story purposes, this one was being handled by the local police department until they had to transfer their resources elsewhere.

ano!!!

Yep. :wink:

#8 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:59 AM

You... you live like across the street from the Feds' Quantico facility, don't you? :wink:

Not right across from it, but it is close by. Heck, I went to college near one of the CIA's training facilities. For all I know, I could be a secret agent. :shock:

Incidentally, the whole idea of the "heroes" saying "Screw it, this guy's too dangerous to be allowed to live" is one of the reasons I find The Huntress an interesting character.

http://www.gothamcit....com/cave4.html

Unlike the rest of the Bat crew, she doesn't always restrict herself to non-lethal methods... which pisses Bruce off something fierce. :wink:

Interesting... and understandable. I may have to seek out these comics.

#9 Guest_Wyvern_*

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:39 PM

There are still some things she doesn't need to see, though. :twisted:

melting, ugh, as though being shattered wasn't bad enough.

The squadroom was full of detectives, all members of the Gotham City Police Department’s Major Crimes Unit. Both the day and night shifts had been called in, resulting in a collective force of several dozen strong, all of whom were looking grimly determined to hunt down the man who’d murdered one of their own.

I can't help wondering who's handling the regular police work. Sounds like this would be good time for some small-timers to stage a series of B&E's.

So it's a race now to get Freeze before night falls. It's in the comic, I know, but there really is no reason the Batman doesn't start hunting Freeze during the day.

#10 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 26 June 2005 - 12:26 AM

There are still some things she doesn't need to see, though.

I'm sure she'd agree with you... just not in this particular instance.

I can't help wondering who's handling the regular police work. Sounds like this would be good time for some small-timers to stage a series of B&E's.

Well, these guys are Major Crimes, which means... well, they really only handle the major crimes. You've still got the regular patrolmen doing their thing, and the robbery detectives doing their thing, etc.

So it's a race now to get Freeze before night falls. It's in the comic, I know, but there really is no reason the Batman doesn't start hunting Freeze during the day.

Well, the whole idea is that Batman's really big on the whole intimidation thing, which means he almost never actually goes out in costume until after the sun goes down. I'm sure that he's already heard about what happened, and dollars to donuts he's already gotten all the same information the cops have through his own sources... like, say, Oracle...

But you won't actually see him out there until after dark. That's just usually how he seems to operate. Sure, there are exceptions, but only when things get -really- nasty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com