27. An Impatient Mage

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 07 June 2005 - 12:36 PM

Edwin Odesseiron was annoyed. That city of monkeys was nothing short of a dank hole! It wasn't enough that Nashkel guards were eyeing his red robes suspiciously every time they came past, it happened that the troublesome Wychlaran could do so, as well!
He was sure that it would be easy to kill the witch: it would only take two of them in the wilderness (the addled ranger she traveled with was inconsequential, of course), and his unsurpassable magic would do the rest. But here, in Nashkel, these simians would not understand the simplest of his incantations, and yet they had the gall to refuse him his birthright! The Cowled monkeys strutted along the place as if they owned it, and he had no choice but follow their rules.
As he had no other means to complete his task, and magic was forbidden, Edwin could only grit his teeth as he watched the witch pass by, occasionally making a scathing remark. It was so frustrating he was sure he would forget himself and try to kill her with his bare hands very soon. The fact that she was probably feeling the same brought him little satisfaction.
And the Bhaalspawn... where was she? Master Degardan stated Nashkel as Edwin's destination quite clearly, but almost a week had passed and she was nowhere in sight, though he had heard a rumor of a drunken brawl involving several half-elves. The local library held nothing of interest, and the city didn't even provide a brothel! (Certainly these pathetic species don't need to mate, but how does a refined traveler satisfy his essential needs?) The boredom added to his already full-grown disappointment, and who knows what could have happened if not for an unexpected event that took place two weeks after his arrival.

"I can not linger here any longer," Dynaheir paced the room back and forth, her face calm and collected. The ranger was standing in the center of the room, blinking as she spoke. "I must proceed to the Fortress, and thy blade would'st accompany me in my travels. But the Red Wizard here is a matter that delays me. For the Greater Good, he must be stopped in his wicked ways. While I am away, watch his every movement, and report to me when I return."
"Minsc does not understand," the ranger said, frowning. "Is pretty Dynaheir to travel alone? And what is of my dajemma?"
"I have no choice, Minsc. 'Tis a matter I must accomplish alone," Dynaheir repeated patiently. "Wait for my return, and watch the Thayvian at all times."

Edwin had woken up from uneasy sleep. Reading the spellbook with a mug of ale in his hands was a bad idea, he admitted grudgingly, mopping off a particularly large stain. Most of the cantrips he owned were now completely blotched, as well as the description of Magic Missile spell.
As he cursed, something else caught his attention. A board creaked outside of his room. The mage tiptoed to the door. Someone was moving in the corridor. Quietly he shifted the catch and peeped into a keyhole. It is as I thought, he smiled triumphantly. The witch is escaping in fear of my mighty magic! Ha!
He couldn't miss such a golden opportunity. The witch (Dynaheir, her name is. But nobody will remember that once I'm done with her, and only worms would crawl along her pathetic body!) was leaving the town, alone! Panting, Edwin rushed to pick up his most valuable possessions, hastily cast a spell of invisibility on himself and followed Dynaheir down the stairs.
The night forest was creepy, to say the least. Distant barking and growling made Edwin very uncomfortable, not to mention the fact that his robes were torn and tattered below knees, making every loose branch slap his legs. The witch fared much better. She easily glided among the trees, apparently feeling no discomfort.
Suddenly Dynaheir stopped and turned around. At precisely the same moment the moon peeped out from behind the clouds, and though the spell surely covered him, Edwin felt ill at ease.
"I can feel thy wicked presence!" the witch shouted. Her voice trembled, but she steadfastly continued, "reveal yourself, Red Wizard! Or better yet, return whence you came!"
He noticed that she had forgotten to use her normal old-fashioned form of speech in her agitation. Perfect. Now is the time to strike.
The familiar warmth spread through the mage's body, and he opened his mouth to utter the words of a killing curse. But no sound came out. I must kill her, mustn't I? It's simple, hold out a hand, utter a spell, the nosey wench is dead. But must I do it as a lowly rogue? No, she must see my face and understand that her failure is inevitable!
"I'm here, witch!" He shouted aloud. "Prepare to die!"
Dynaheir sharply turned in his direction, her eyes gleaming, and began to cast a spell in a rising voice. Edwin fingered his spell components...
...And the night exploded with harsh voices. Barking and growling gnolls, armed with crude but effective polearms, surrounded both mages. Invisible, Edwin watched with mute dread as the tallest gnoll picked up furiously kicking Dynaheir and another one brought down his enormous fist on her head. The struggling woman went quiet.
"More to feast!" The gnoll chieftain bared his teeth. "Hairtooth happy!" With these words, the monsters waddled away.
Edwin staggered back to Nashkel the following afternoon. He felt completely miserable and worn out. I have probably failed the Bhaalspawn mission, he thought tiredly, and now the witch is lost, too.
The large ranger was the first sight that met the mage's eyes in the tavern. This sour-smelling monkey will never recover the witch, either, Edwin sneered. Her life is forfeit. But that was small consolation.
"What?" Edwin heard. "You don't tell me, Boo? Can it be that sweet Dynaheir is captured by gnolls? No! I will beat sense into their heads until they release her! Rrraaaaagh!!!" The berserker charged at the bar, turning the tables over in the process.
Damn this Bhaalspawn, Edwin thought. She will pay for this suffering! I will wait here, but if this excuse of a chimpanzee presses me further... Sparkles of magical energy flew from his fingers, and the customers scattered as Edwin made his way towards the stairs. They'll all pay for their insolence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com