Photo

Cards Reshuffled 253

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Laufey

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:46 AM

Cards Reshuffled 253 – Rogue’s Curse

There is an old proverb stating that it is of great advantage to know your enemy. While this is certainly true, it neglects one important point. To truly know your enemy, you must confront him, and he will then learn about you in turn.

Excerpt from ‘Interview With An Assassin’

Fighting was hardly an option. Not with both Bodhi and the Avariel priestess posed right outside the door. The door that just so happened to be the only escape from the room. The room that he was sharing with a bounty hunter who could betray his presence at any second, if he so should choose.

All in all, Dekaras thought, this wasn’t the most pleasant moment of his life. Crouched down behind one of the dusty bookcases in Bodhi’s small library, he focused all of his skill on two things. Silence, and remaining unseen. He knew his breathing was silent enough that no normal foe should be able to hear it, but a vampire, that was more uncertain. Could she hear his heartbeat? But she was distracted, that was something. Unless Yoshimo should happen to call out to her, of course.

The assassin looked straight into the dark and still rather startled eyes of the bounty hunter, searching for some sign of what the man meant to do, of what was going through his head. How he hated this, being at the mercy of a stranger, somebody he was far from certain he could trust. It went against his every instinct, and made his insides twist with bitter frustration.

Finally, after what seemed like ages, but was really only a matter of seconds, the Kara-Turan gave a small nod. His lips moved, making no sound, but forming clear words for one trained to see them. Hide until they’ve left. Meet me tomorrow morning at the Crooked Crane. Need to talk. Then, he thrust the stolen plans for Spellhold into the assassin’s arms, calmly stood up, and took out a small bottle. He twisted the lid off, poured the contents onto his clothes and walked out into the adjourning room.

“Mistress,” he said, sounding perfectly contrite. “I…regret that I have failed you.”

“What?!” Bodhi’s voice, low and angry. “What are you doing in there?”

“It was Mordo,” Yoshimo said. “I did not know what he was up to, not when we came here. But it seems he must have been after the contents of your safe, for it is empty now and he is gone.”

“My safe?” An angry hiss, and the sound of a hand striking flesh. “You fool! How could you let him overcome you like that?”

Another voice now, cool and distant. “Hello, Yoshimo,” Aerie said. “Did you miss me?”

The bounty hunter didn’t reply to this, but chose to answer Bodhi’s question instead. “Much…is unclear to me,” he said. “I remember entering this room, but then things become…confusing.”

There was a sniffing sound, as of somebody inhaling sharply. “A sedative,” Bodhi scoffed. “He put you to sleep like a baby. If it wasn’t for my brother having need of you, I would rip your throat out right now.”

“You are wasting time,” Aerie interrupted. “I will investigate this room.” Soft footsteps approached, and then there was the swishing sound of a long dress sweeping across the floor as the Avariel stepped inside the library.

-*-

Even as she entered the room, a Stoneskin spell flared up around Aerie, protecting her with a flexible, light, and almost entirely impregnable shell. She had no intention of letting herself be caught off guard, just in case her foe hadn’t left yet. And wouldn’t that be just like him? She thought about that for a moment. Using Yoshimo as a dupe, drugging him and counting on him leading Bodhi here. Perhaps he is out to kill her. But he couldn’t have known about me.

Forming an alliance with the vampire wasn’t a decision she had made lightly. Bodhi was the one currently in the most favorable position, and she would know it. However, Aerie knew very well that Bodhi wanted this partnership too, and they did share some common goals, for now. She had been perfectly truthful with the vampire, Loviatar didn’t much care who eventually killed the half-elf bard, not as long as Her priestess managed to administer the appropriate torment first, the torment that the Goddess of Pain was certain would enable her to grasp a sizeable portion of Bhaal’s power. If Bodhi cooperated all would be well, if not, she would be dealt with. And those other two, those will be all mine.

But first she would have to catch them, of course, and she had no intention of getting too hasty or overconfident again.

The library was fairly small, and she saw the safe directly, door ajar. Whatever had been inside it was gone by now. The Avariel’s eyes darted about the room as Bodhi hissed a curse and angrily yanked at the metal door, ripping it clear off its hinges, saying something about how the maker of such a worthless product had deserved a little nightly visit from one or two of her dear fledglings. Aerie ignored that though. Observe, and form conclusions. He is good at misdirection, at illusions. An illusionist turns your attention towards one thing, while in reality occupying himself with a second, or even a third. If we are meant to look at the safe, what is it we are not meant to look at?

Tall bookshelves, lining the walls, crammed full of more or less dusty books. A writing desk, with some of the drawers pulled out, and a chair. That seemed to be it. No windows with heavy curtains, no door to hide behind. It shouldn’t be possible to hide in here. And yet…and yet, there was that prickling feeling at the base of her neck. He is still here. Somewhere, in this room. I know it. Well, well. A little game of hide-and-seek it is. Aerie smiled, and went to work. A True Sight spell first, obviously. It was already prepared, she had prepared a spell trigger so she could cast it instantaneously, and now she could feel her vision sharpening, enabling her to penetrate the most clever of illusions. Still, she could not find what she was searching for. But that only proves he is not under an invisibility spell. Step two, then.

-*-

The dark space on top of the bookshelf was narrow and cramped, and it hadn’t been entirely easy to cram himself into it, but Dekaras didn’t see that he had much of a choice. There wasn’t exactly an abundance of good hiding places in here, after all. He kept perfectly still, making his body meld into the shadows as much as possible, almost becoming one with them. Silence. Not a single noise. Breathing must slow, heart mustn’t race.

Bodhi stalking angrily around the safe, ranting about her purloined papers, oblivious to all else. Yes, that’s right. I am not here. I do not exist. There is nothing and nobody of interest here.

However, Bodhi wasn’t the more dangerous of his two opponents, not in this case. No, it was Aerie who was the true danger, and the assassin’s heart sank as he noticed her casting her spell. A divination spell, which meant she was suspicious. It wouldn’t reveal him, he wasn’t magically hiding after all, only taking advantage of the awkward angle the women below would have to use to spot him. But if she was suspicious enough to look for him, he didn’t dare to count on her giving up. Which meant he had to be prepared for her finding him.

The second spell was completed, and he knew that one too, knew it only too well. There was still a small chance that she would overlook him, but that hope was quickly dashed as he heard a faint buzzing noise. It was moving systematically around the room, coming closer and closer, a sound that might have come from a fly, or a bee, but didn’t. A fraction of a second later, a floating blue eye zipped above the edge of the bookcase, stared directly into his own, then darted off again.

Then, there was a voice from below him, a light, mild, and rather amused voice. “Peek-a-boo!” Aerie said.

-*-

He almost got away. Aerie had counted on having the element of surprise on her side, being able to take advantage of her opponent’s certain shock at being discovered. What she hadn’t counted on was him reacting as swiftly as he did. She barely had spoken, before the bookcase tumbled down and outwards, and she was forced to jump back in order not to be crushed by it. The assassin came down with it, somehow managing to roll and get to his feet even before all the heavy volumes of long forgotten lore had landed on the ground.

Oh no, Aerie thought, even as her hand shot out and just managed to grasp him by the shoulder. Not again, you don’t.

The spell she had prepared took hold, racing through her body and into his. She could feel it doing its deadly work, attacking internal organs one by one, causing them to fail and collapse, to descend into painful chaos. All according to her will, her will to harm. Interestingly enough, it was actually easier than she had imagined, easier than normal. It was almost as if the spell was a river following a groove already left for it by some previous flood wave, one that had made its work easier.

The assassin gave a strangled gasp; he dropped limply to the floor, and then lay still. Aerie reached out her foot to turn him over, concentrating hard. His skin was an unhealthy gray color, lips and fingernails tending towards a nasty purple, and his breathing was so slow that it was barely perceptible. Not quite dead, but very, very close. But that is as it should be. I don’t want him dead. Not yet.

Bodhi knelt by the prone man, one of her long, claw-like nails tracing a line along his throat. “What a pity,” she said, with a brief little sigh. “He was a quite useful servant, you know.”

“Oh, he would be,” Aerie coolly replied. “Right up until the point when he put a stake through your heart. I hope you appreciate the seriousness of the threat just avoided.”

The vampire gave a small sneer. “Yes, little elf, you spared me the scuffle in which I might have broken a nail or two. Want a pat on the head for it?”

The Avariel did not acknowledge the insult, she simply stood there passively, her hands folded in front of her. Bodhi knew that she had been in a very real danger, and they both knew that Aerie knew that Bodhi knew that. She could allow the vampire her little pretense for now. “He is nearly dead,” she simply said. “Certainly too weak to pose a threat at the moment, but I will warn you now, taking chances with this one is a bad idea. You will want to put him in a secure place at once, under heavy guard, and before that you must strip him of anything that even remotely resembles a weapon, or you will regret it.”

“Strip, you say?” the vampire said with a small smirk. “I think I might enjoy that, even if he’s not very lively at the moment.”

Aerie wrinkled her nose at this. “As long as you do not play too roughly,” she said. “It wouldn’t take much at all to kill him right now. Once everything else is prepared, I will heal him, just enough to suit our purposes.”

”Yes,” Bodhi said, smiling broadly so that her fangs were clearly visible. “And then…”

“Then,” Aerie filled in, “I will please my Goddess, and we will learn a great deal about the people you seek.”

Next: Back to Rini and gang, who are about to make a small detour.
Rogues do it from behind.

#2 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:01 AM

All in all, Dekaras thought, this wasn’t the most pleasant moment of his life. Crouched down behind one of the dusty bookcases in Bodhi’s small library, he focused all of his skill on two things. Silence, and remaining unseen. He knew his breathing was silent enough that no normal foe should be able to hear it, but a vampire, that was more uncertain. Could she hear his heartbeat? But she was distracted, that was something. Unless Yoshimo should happen to call out to her, of course.

I smeeeeell bloooooood...

It is a bit strange that Dekkie hopes not to be found. I mean, his chances are, what, 1 to 10000000000000000000000000000000?

The assassin looked straight into the dark and still rather startled eyes of the bounty hunter, searching for some sign of what the man meant to do, of what was going through his head. How he hated this, being at the mercy of a stranger, somebody he was far from certain he could trust. It went against his every instinct, and made his insides twist with bitter frustration.

I am impressed you did not install "no choice" here. The phrase almost asks itself to be inserted, but of course, it is very good as it is. :D

“Mistress,” he said, sounding perfectly contrite. “I…regret that I have failed you.”

Damn, after they find Dekkie, Yoshimo is in for a world of hurt.

Another voice now, cool and distant. “Hello, Yoshimo,” Aerie said. “Did you miss me?”

*snicker*

But first she would have to catch them, of course, and she had no intention of getting too hasty or overconfident again.

*wistfully* Still, she does not understand it would do her no good if she captures the main character. They *always* get away. Aerie, a word of friendly advice: *kill* him. Now.

Tall bookshelves, lining the walls, crammed full of more or less dusty books. A writing desk, with some of the drawers pulled out, and a chair. That seemed to be it. No windows with heavy curtains, no door to hide behind. It shouldn’t be possible to hide in here. And yet…and yet, there was that prickling feeling at the base of her neck. He is still here. Somewhere, in this room. I know it. Well, well. A little game of hide-and-seek it is. Aerie smiled, and went to work. A True Sight spell first, obviously. It was already prepared, she had prepared a spell trigger so she could cast it instantaneously, and now she could feel her vision sharpening, enabling her to penetrate the most clever of illusions. Still, she could not find what she was searching for. But that only proves he is not under an invisibility spell. Step two, then.

In the game it was impossible to locate an individual protected by both Staff of the Magi and Cloak of Non-detection. :D But you won't make things easy for Dekkie, will you? :oops:

Then, there was a voice from below him, a light, mild, and rather amused voice. “Peek-a-boo!” Aerie said.

*groan and double groan*

Oh no, Aerie thought, even as her hand shot out and just managed to grasp him by the shoulder. Not again, you don’t.

:lol: ;) :)

The spell she had prepared took hold, racing through her body and into his. She could feel it doing its deadly work, attacking internal organs one by one, causing them to fail and collapse, to descend into painful chaos. All according to her will, her will to harm. Interestingly enough, it was actually easier than she had imagined, easier than normal. It was almost as if the spell was a river following a groove already left for it by some previous flood wave, one that had made its work easier.

My favourite cleric spell. :) :) :) Pity I do not play a cleric, and both Ano and Viccy have bad Thac0. :D

The assassin gave a strangled gasp; he dropped limply to the floor, and then lay still. Aerie reached out her foot to turn him over, concentrating hard. His skin was an unhealthy gray color, lips and fingernails tending towards a nasty purple, and his breathing was so slow that it was barely perceptible. Not quite dead, but very, very close. But that is as it should be. I don’t want him dead. Not yet.

WHY? (mutters something almost unaudible about Aerie's mental capability)

The Avariel did not acknowledge the insult, she simply stood there passively, her hands folded in front of her. Bodhi knew that she had been in a very real danger, and they both knew that Aerie knew that Bodhi knew that. She could allow the vampire her little pretense for now. “He is nearly dead,” she simply said. “Certainly too weak to pose a threat at the moment, but I will warn you now, taking chances with this one is a bad idea. You will want to put him in a secure place at once, under heavy guard, and before that you must strip him of anything that even remotely resembles a weapon, or you will regret it.”

“Strip, you say?” the vampire said with a small smirk. “I think I might enjoy that, even if he’s not very lively at the moment.”

:D Hmmm... I perceive Dekaras as certainly very attractive and intimidating, but not very sexy. Now, if they stripped Yoshimo... :D

I'll be waiting! :D

#3 Laufey

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:02 AM

[quote][quote]All in all, Dekaras thought, this wasn’t the most pleasant moment of his life. Crouched down behind one of the dusty bookcases in Bodhi’s small library, he focused all of his skill on two things. Silence, and remaining unseen. He knew his breathing was silent enough that no normal foe should be able to hear it, but a vampire, that was more uncertain. Could she hear his heartbeat? But she was distracted, that was something. Unless Yoshimo should happen to call out to her, of course. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
I smeeeeell bloooooood...
[/quote]

[quote]
It is a bit strange that Dekkie hopes not to be found. I mean, his chances are, what, 1 to 10000000000000000000000000000000?
[/quote]

You think it's strange that he doesn't want to be find by Aerie and Bodhi? I know *I* wouldn't want to be found by them.

[quote]
[quote]The assassin looked straight into the dark and still rather startled eyes of the bounty hunter, searching for some sign of what the man meant to do, of what was going through his head. How he hated this, being at the mercy of a stranger, somebody he was far from certain he could trust. It went against his every instinct, and made his insides twist with bitter frustration. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
I am impressed you did not install "no choice" here. The phrase almost asks itself to be inserted, but of course, it is very good as it is. :D
[/quote]

Thanks! :D

[quote]
“What?!” Bodhi’s voice, low and angry. “What are you doing in there?” [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Damn, after they find Dekkie, Yoshimo is in for a world of hurt.
[/quote]

Not necessarily...

[quote]
[quote]But first she would have to catch them, of course, and she had no intention of getting too hasty or overconfident again. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
*wistfully* Still, she does not understand it would do her no good if she captures the main character. They *always* get away. Aerie, a word of friendly advice: *kill* him. Now.
[/quote]

But then she wouldn't be able to use him to get Edwin, whom she also wants. And Rini. Plus, Aerie isn't one for quick deaths.

[quote]
[quote]Tall bookshelves, lining the walls, crammed full of more or less dusty books. A writing desk, with some of the drawers pulled out, and a chair. That seemed to be it. No windows with heavy curtains, no door to hide behind. It shouldn’t be possible to hide in here. And yet…and yet, there was that prickling feeling at the base of her neck. He is still here. Somewhere, in this room. I know it. Well, well. A little game of hide-and-seek it is. Aerie smiled, and went to work. A True Sight spell first, obviously. It was already prepared, she had prepared a spell trigger so she could cast it instantaneously, and now she could feel her vision sharpening, enabling her to penetrate the most clever of illusions. Still, she could not find what she was searching for. But that only proves he is not under an invisibility spell. Step two, then. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
In the game it was impossible to locate an individual protected by both Staff of the Magi and Cloak of Non-detection. :D But you won't make things easy for Dekkie, will you? :oops:
[/quote]

No, and of course he doesn't *have* a Staff of the Magi or Cloak of Non-detection. :)

[quote]
[quote]The spell she had prepared took hold, racing through her body and into his. She could feel it doing its deadly work, attacking internal organs one by one, causing them to fail and collapse, to descend into painful chaos. All according to her will, her will to harm. Interestingly enough, it was actually easier than she had imagined, easier than normal. It was almost as if the spell was a river following a groove already left for it by some previous flood wave, one that had made its work easier. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
My favourite cleric spell. :lol: ;) :) Pity I do not play a cleric, and both Ano and Viccy have bad Thac0. :D
[/quote]

It's very, very useful. Ouch.

[quote]
[quote]The assassin gave a strangled gasp; he dropped limply to the floor, and then lay still. Aerie reached out her foot to turn him over, concentrating hard. His skin was an unhealthy gray color, lips and fingernails tending towards a nasty purple, and his breathing was so slow that it was barely perceptible. Not quite dead, but very, very close. But that is as it should be. I don’t want him dead. Not yet. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
WHY? (mutters something almost unaudible about Aerie's mental capability)
[/quote]

She's a priestess of Loviatar. As I said, quick deaths isn't what she's about. She wants it to be slow and painful, so she actually has a perfectly valid reason for acting the Evil Overlord here.

[quote]
“Strip, you say?” the vampire said with a small smirk. “I think I might enjoy that, even if he’s not very lively at the moment.”[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
:) Hmmm... I perceive Dekaras as certainly very attractive and intimidating, but not very sexy. Now, if they stripped Yoshimo... :)
[/quote]

Heee, I'm sure Yoshi appreicates the thought. :D Anyway, Bodhi has a large appetite - I figure she'd enjoy doing this to any male who isn't a complete troll. Possibly females too.

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

Fighting was hardly an option. Not with both Bodhi and the Avariel priestess posed right outside the door. The door that just so happened to be the only escape from the room. The room that he was sharing with a bounty hunter who could betray his presence at any second, if he so should choose.

I’d say good Dekkie is in a bit of a tight spot, isn’t he? :)

Dekkie would probably make him regret that with a well-aimed throwing dagger… before he would be captured by Bodhi and Aerie, anyway.

“It was Mordo,” Yoshimo said. “I did not know what he was up to, not when we came here. But it seems he must have been after the contents of your safe, for it is empty now and he is gone.”

Ah, a noble attempt, but will it work… after all those are two very paranoid villains he’s trying to sell the story to…

There was a sniffing sound, as of somebody inhaling sharply. “A sedative,” Bodhi scoffed. “He put you to sleep like a baby. If it wasn’t for my brother having need of you, I would rip your throat out right now.”

I guess it’s good that Yoshi has that form of protection – though I think that if Bodhi were really angry with him, that would not stop her from killing him.

“You are wasting time,” Aerie interrupted. “I will investigate this room.” Soft footsteps approached, and then there was the swishing sound of a long dress sweeping across the floor as the Avariel stepped inside the library.

Eeeep. :oops: This doesn’t look good…

Even as she entered the room, a Stoneskin spell flared up around Aerie, protecting her with a flexible, light, and almost entirely impregnable shell. She had no intention of letting herself be caught off guard, just in case her foe hadn’t left yet. And wouldn’t that be just like him? She thought about that for a moment. Using Yoshimo as a dupe, drugging him and counting on him leading Bodhi here. Perhaps he is out to kill her. But he couldn’t have known about me.

She’s half right there…

Looking at her plans, involving possibly killing Bodhi too… yeah, she’s being overconfident again. :)

I’m sure Dekkie wouldn’t rely on magical invisibility with Aerie around.

The second spell was completed, and he knew that one too, knew it only too well. There was still a small chance that she would overlook him, but that hope was quickly dashed as he heard a faint buzzing noise. It was moving systematically around the room, coming closer and closer, a sound that might have come from a fly, or a bee, but didn’t. A fraction of a second later, a floating blue eye zipped above the edge of the bookcase, stared directly into his own, then darted off again.

Wizard Eye… she is being annoyingly thorough, I’m afraid.

I see you… and she sure does. ;)

Harm? Yeah, being left with only 1HP would hurt, I imagine. :)

:lol: The prospects… don’t look so good, do they?

The vampire gave a small sneer. “Yes, little elf, you spared me the scuffle in which I might have broken a nail or two. Want a pat on the head for it?”

She’s still the more overconfident of the two. Might be why Aerie lives a bit longer than she will… or maybe not.

Gray skin, nearly dead… I think Bodhi would think Dekkie’s never looked sexier than he looks now… :)

“Then,” Aerie filled in, “I will please my Goddess, and we will learn a great deal about the people you seek.”

Uh-oh… I don’t quite see how Dekkie will avoid getting tortured…

And I wonder what will happen to Yoshi, too – after all, Bodhi knows he lied to her. Or did Yoshi got away while those two were searching for Dekkie?

What’s between Imnesvale and Athkatla? D’Arnise Keep, of course. :D

#5 Laufey

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:01 PM

I’d say good Dekkie is in a bit of a tight spot, isn’t he? :)

Definitely so! :D

Dekkie would probably make him regret that with a well-aimed throwing dagger… before he would be captured by Bodhi and Aerie, anyway.

Exactly. There really isn't very much he can do in this regard.

Ah, a noble attempt, but will it work… after all those are two very paranoid villains he’s trying to sell the story to…

It might have worked if it was just Bodhi, because she lost her temper. Aerie though...

I guess it’s good that Yoshi has that form of protection – though I think that if Bodhi were really angry with him, that would not stop her from killing him.

Not if she *really* lost it, probably.

Eeeep. :lol: This doesn’t look good…

Nope. :oops:

Looking at her plans, involving possibly killing Bodhi too… yeah, she’s being overconfident again. :)

She's definitely considering trying to double cross Bodhi at some future point, but not at this time.

I’m sure Dekkie wouldn’t rely on magical invisibility with Aerie around.

No, he knows better than that.

Wizard Eye… she is being annoyingly thorough, I’m afraid.

Well, I'm trying to show that she's a decently competent villain. :)

Harm? Yeah, being left with only 1HP would hurt, I imagine. :D

Yes. Not like in the game, where you can keep fighting right up until you drop dead.

;) The prospects… don’t look so good, do they?

Indeed not.

Gray skin, nearly dead… I think Bodhi would think Dekkie’s never looked sexier than he looks now… :)

As I told Kulyok, Bodhi has a large appetite. :D

Uh-oh… I don’t quite see how Dekkie will avoid getting tortured…

*whistles innocently*

And I wonder what will happen to Yoshi, too – after all, Bodhi knows he lied to her. Or did Yoshi got away while those two were searching for Dekkie?

No, Yoshi got away with his lie. As you recall, he told her that Dekkie had drugged him and he didn't know what happened after that. The fact that Dekkie was found hiding in there doesn't mean Yoshimo lied - he had no way of knowing that, as far as Bodhi knows.

What’s between Imnesvale and Athkatla? D’Arnise Keep, of course. :D

Da da da dum... :D

#6 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:09 PM

”Yes,” Bodhi said, smiling broadly so that her fangs were clearly visible. “And then…”

:oops: :lol: ;)

*gulp* This is really painful to think about, because while Dekaras is a thorn in her side, Aerie would still think of him as a loyal employee to Edwin's family. She wouldn't know that he would rather die than do anything to endanger his son... which will only make the torture last longer.

Hang in there, Dekkie. Maybe Yoshimo can help... or if he can't, he can get word to people who can!

#7 Laufey

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

:oops: :lol: ;)

*gulp* This is really painful to think about, because while Dekaras is a thorn in her side, Aerie would still think of him as a loyal employee to Edwin's family. She wouldn't know that he would rather die than do anything to endanger his son... which will only make the torture last longer.

Very true - but she does know that he cares deeply about Edwin, so she fully expects him to last a long time. That will make it all the better for her, after all.

Hang in there, Dekkie. Maybe Yoshimo can help... or if he can't, he can get word to people who can!

Yoshimo will play a part - as will a certain somebody else. :)

#8 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 04 June 2005 - 03:12 PM

Cards Reshuffled 253 – Rogue’s Curse

There is an old proverb stating that it is of great advantage to know your enemy. While this is certainly true, it neglects one important point. To truly know your enemy, you must confront him, and he will then learn about you in turn.

Excerpt from ‘Interview With An Assassin’

Hmm, thats a truth.

Hiding from a vampire AND a priestess can`t be easy though.

He knew his breathing was silent enough that no normal foe should be able to hear it, but a vampire, that was more uncertain. Could she hear his heartbeat? But she was distracted, that was something. Unless Yoshimo should happen to call out to her, of course.

If he does that then you can kill him! Yay!

Good scene here.

Ahh, They used that on the hrrmm... "guards"..

Aerie taking charge! Fall in line!

The library was fairly small, and she saw the safe directly, door ajar. Whatever had been inside it was gone by now. The Avariel’s eyes darted about the room as Bodhi hissed a curse and angrily yanked at the metal door, ripping it clear off its hinges, saying something about how the maker of such a worthless product had deserved a little nightly visit from one or two of her dear fledglings. Aerie ignored that though. Observe, and form conclusions. He is good at misdirection, at illusions. An illusionist turns your attention towards one thing, while in reality occupying himself with a second, or even a third. If we are meant to look at the safe, what is it we are not meant to look at?

Pretty clever ain`t she?

The dark space on top of the bookshelf was narrow and cramped, and it hadn’t been entirely easy to cram himself into it, but Dekaras didn’t see that he had much of a choice. There wasn’t exactly an abundance of good hiding places in here, after all. He kept perfectly still, making his body meld into the shadows as much as possible, almost becoming one with them. Silence. Not a single noise. Breathing must slow, heart mustn’t race.

Being cramped in a small space. It is always a joy.

:oops:

He almost got away. Aerie had counted on having the element of surprise on her side, being able to take advantage of her opponent’s certain shock at being discovered. What she hadn’t counted on was him reacting as swiftly as he did. She barely had spoken, before the bookcase tumbled down and outwards, and she was forced to jump back in order not to be crushed by it. The assassin came down with it, somehow managing to roll and get to his feet even before all the heavy volumes of long forgotten lore had landed on the ground.

The books! You are hurting the books!

That made for a funny mental image.

Aerie wrinkled her nose at this. “As long as you do not play too roughly,” she said. “It wouldn’t take much at all to kill him right now. Once everything else is prepared, I will heal him, just enough to suit our purposes.”

They all got problems now.

#9 Laufey

Posted 04 June 2005 - 03:55 PM

[quote]
[quote]Fighting was hardly an option. Not with both Bodhi and the Avariel priestess posed right outside the door. The door that just so happened to be the only escape from the room. The room that he was sharing with a bounty hunter who could betray his presence at any second, if he so should choose.[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Hiding from a vampire AND a priestess can`t be easy though.
[/quote]

Definitely not.

[quote]
[quote]He knew his breathing was silent enough that no normal foe should be able to hear it, but a vampire, that was more uncertain. Could she hear his heartbeat? But she was distracted, that was something. Unless Yoshimo should happen to call out to her, of course.[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
If he does that then you can kill him! Yay!
[/quote]

Don't like Yoshimo much, do you? :oops:

[quote]
[quote]The assassin looked straight into the dark and still rather startled eyes of the bounty hunter, searching for some sign of what the man meant to do, of what was going through his head. How he hated this, being at the mercy of a stranger, somebody he was far from certain he could trust. It went against his every instinct, and made his insides twist with bitter frustration.[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Good scene here.
[/quote]

Thanks! :lol:

[quote]
[quote]There was a sniffing sound, as of somebody inhaling sharply. “A sedative,” Bodhi scoffed. “He put you to sleep like a baby. If it wasn’t for my brother having need of you, I would rip your throat out right now.”[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Ahh, They used that on the hrrmm... "guards"..
[/quote]

Yes - I hope it is reasonably plausible that Bodhi would fall for this.

[quote]
[quote]The library was fairly small, and she saw the safe directly, door ajar. Whatever had been inside it was gone by now. The Avariel’s eyes darted about the room as Bodhi hissed a curse and angrily yanked at the metal door, ripping it clear off its hinges, saying something about how the maker of such a worthless product had deserved a little nightly visit from one or two of her dear fledglings. Aerie ignored that though. Observe, and form conclusions. He is good at misdirection, at illusions. An illusionist turns your attention towards one thing, while in reality occupying himself with a second, or even a third. If we are meant to look at the safe, what is it we are not meant to look at?[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Pretty clever ain`t she?
[/quote]

I hope so. I'm trying to demonstrate that she's clever and very dangerous, so I hope she came across that way.

[quote]
[quote]Then, there was a voice from below him, a light, mild, and rather amused voice. “Peek-a-boo!” Aerie said.[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
;)
[/quote]

Blame my nasty sense of humor for this. :)

[quote]
[quote]The vampire gave a small sneer. “Yes, little elf, you spared me the scuffle in which I might have broken a nail or two. Want a pat on the head for it?”[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
That made for a funny mental image.
[/quote]

Thank you!

[quote]
“Then,” Aerie filled in, “I will please my Goddess, and we will learn a great deal about the people you seek.”[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
They all got problems now.[/quote]

Very much so. And it will get worse.

#10 Guest_Wyvern_*

Posted 04 June 2005 - 06:51 PM

That can't be good.

Ouch. Wonder if it was the loss of his magic that made the spell easier for Aerie to cast.

“Oh, he would be,” Aerie coolly replied. “Right up until the point when he put a stake through your heart. I hope you appreciate the seriousness of the threat just avoided.”

Not the greatest of friends, these two.

You better not be planning to turn Dekkie into a vampire.

#11 Laufey

Posted 04 June 2005 - 07:16 PM

[quote][quote][quote]“You are wasting time,” Aerie interrupted. “I will investigate this room.” Soft footsteps approached, and then there was the swishing sound of a long dress sweeping across the floor as the Avariel stepped inside the library. [/quote]
That can't be good.[/quote]

No, not at all.

[quote][quote]The spell she had prepared took hold, racing through her body and into his. She could feel it doing its deadly work, attacking internal organs one by one, causing them to fail and collapse, to descend into painful chaos. All according to her will, her will to harm. Interestingly enough, it was actually easier than she had imagined, easier than normal. It was almost as if the spell was a river following a groove already left for it by some previous flood wave, one that had made its work easier. [/quote]
Ouch. Wonder if it was the loss of his magic that made the spell easier for Aerie to cast.
[/quote][/quote]

It was, yes. I've mentioned it before, the loss of his magic has damaged him in such a way that he has an increased sensitivity to hostile magic.

[quote][quote]
“Then,” Aerie filled in, “I will please my Goddess, and we will learn a great deal about the people you seek.” [/quote]
You better not be planning to turn Dekkie into a vampire.[/quote][/quote]

*Smiles innocently* Now, would I do such a thing?

#12 Guest_RickTaylor_*

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:13 AM

Hello Laufey,

It's good to see another chapter of the Cards. My commenting time is brief these days, so just a few comments. Aerie is really really scary. She's so scary, she upstages Bodhi. Whenever they're together, I'm so frightened of Aerie, Bodhi doesn't seem nearly as bad to me anymore. Very nice scene in this story where you had Aerie sniffing out Dekaras. She came off as a clever resourceful opponent. I wasn't expecting him to be caught, so it was pretty shocking when he was nearly killed. Things look very bad. Good ruse by Yoshimo. It makes sense that Bodhi and Aerie don't suspect him yet. After all, he's under a geas, and as far as they know he has no reason to want to help Dekaras. It looks like Yoshimo may be Dekaras's only hope now; good thing Dekaras didn't kill him. :roll: Also, I'm hoping Bodhi might be foolish enough to try to double-cross Aerie. She's just arrogant enough to try, and if she did, maybe Dekaras could manage something in the confusion. Anyway, things certainly don't look good just now. :roll:

Good story!

--Rick Taylor

#13 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:58 AM

I doubt any of your readers are too terribly surprised that dekkie got caught...you sure love those cliffhangers, laufey... :)

this is so bad for everyone's favorite assassin...he's really up the creek without a paddle...and of course, you had to slip in the trademark Laufey extended cliffhanger...jump from a bad situation to a different character's pov... :roll: :D

just how is dekkie going to get out of this? this is bad..undoubtedly its going to involve edwin...and of course bad bad things are going to happen to dekkie while edwin and rini get back to the city... :)

more soon please!!! :roll: ;) ;)

#14 Laufey

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:54 AM

Hello Laufey,

It's good to see another chapter of the Cards. My commenting time is brief these days, so just a few comments. Aerie is really really scary. She's so scary, she upstages Bodhi. Whenever they're together, I'm so frightened of Aerie, Bodhi doesn't seem nearly as bad to me anymore. Very nice scene in this story where you had Aerie sniffing out Dekaras. She came off as a clever resourceful opponent. I wasn't expecting him to be caught, so it was pretty shocking when he was nearly killed. Things look very bad. Good ruse by Yoshimo. It makes sense that Bodhi and Aerie don't suspect him yet. After all, he's under a geas, and as far as they know he has no reason to want to help Dekaras. It looks like Yoshimo may be Dekaras's only hope now; good thing Dekaras didn't kill him. :roll: Also, I'm hoping Bodhi might be foolish enough to try to double-cross Aerie. She's just arrogant enough to try, and if she did, maybe Dekaras could manage something in the confusion. Anyway, things certainly don't look good just now. ;)

Good story!

--Rick Taylor

Hi Rick! ;)

I'm very glad you found Aerie both scary and clever, that's exactly the impression I was trying to convey. It's important that she come across as a fearsome opponent after all. Plus, I can't have Dekkie get away with *everything* he tries - he's very good at what he does, but he's not omnipotent or infallible. As for how he might get out of this mess...you'll just have to wait and see. :roll:

#15 Laufey

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:57 AM

I doubt any of your readers are too terribly surprised that dekkie got caught...you sure love those cliffhangers, laufey... :)

I sure do, that's because I'm evil. :D

this is so bad for everyone's favorite assassin...he's really up the creek without a paddle...and of course, you had to slip in the trademark Laufey extended cliffhanger...jump from a bad situation to a different character's pov... :roll: :D

Well, what can I say...I'm evil. :roll:

just how is dekkie going to get out of this? this is bad..undoubtedly its going to involve edwin...and of course bad bad things are going to happen to dekkie while edwin and rini get back to the city... :D

He's in a very bad spot indeed. As for how he might get out of it, you'll just have to wait and see. :) Expect the unexpected.

more soon please!!! ;) ;) :)

Next week. :)

#16 Guest_Melle_*

Posted 05 June 2005 - 12:24 PM

Aerie and Bodhi together. Now isn't that just the greatest slashfic opportunity ever the worst luck imaginable for poor Dekkie? :roll:

#17 Laufey

Posted 05 June 2005 - 12:56 PM

Aerie and Bodhi together. Now isn't that just the greatest slashfic opportunity ever the worst luck imaginable for poor Dekkie? :roll:

Terrible, terrible luck indeed! And Evil Aerie/Bodhi slash...hm...the idea has merit! :roll:

#18 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:47 PM

Raven: "Or you could just take them out with a flamethrower, negating that whole mess before you have to step in it."

Even as she entered the room, a Stoneskin spell flared up around Aerie, protecting her with a flexible, light, and almost entirely impregnable shell.

Hmph. "Impregnable?"

Let's see it stand up to this:

The SC-20K is the Third Echelon’s prototype modular-assault rifle. It can be configured with four different attachments. The primary module is a Five-Five-Six by Forty-Five assault rifle in a bullpup configuration with a One Point Five times reflex sight, and an integral silencer. The binary trigger offers semi-automatic fire with a half-squeeze, and fully automatic fire when you hold the trigger down. The shotgun attachment fires a twelve-gauge shell loaded with triple-aught-buck. It’s not subtle, but its stopping power can’t be beat at close range. The sniper attachment fires a 20 millimeter anti-materiel APDS round. It can easily over-penetrate hard cover. Controlled breathing, just before firing, offers pinpoint accuracy.

Let's see "Stoneskin" stop that. :roll:

Oh, and visual aids here:

http://world.guns.ru...ault/as41-e.htm

:roll:

He totally needs some Splinter Cell-style gadgets.

The heads-up display includes a light meter wired into a series of photocells in my suit, providing real-time visibility data. When the meter is at 0, I’m a ghost’s shadow. When it’s at max, I’m lit up like a Dutch brothel, as Lambert would say. I don’t want to know how he knows that.

;)

All according to her will, her will to harm.

Harm spell definitely has some oomph to it, but you have to make a successful touch attack to get it to work... which blows. I usually save my 6th level slots for Heal spells. ;)

How about if we just -take- your head?

#19 Laufey

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:25 PM

Raven: "Or you could just take them out with a flamethrower, negating that whole mess before you have to step in it."

Hee, I rather like that idea! :wink: But I need them both around for some time yet.

The SC-20K is the Third Echelon’s prototype modular-assault rifle. It can be configured with four different attachments. The primary module is a Five-Five-Six by Forty-Five assault rifle in a bullpup configuration with a One Point Five times reflex sight, and an integral silencer. The binary trigger offers semi-automatic fire with a half-squeeze, and fully automatic fire when you hold the trigger down. The shotgun attachment fires a twelve-gauge shell loaded with triple-aught-buck. It’s not subtle, but its stopping power can’t be beat at close range. The sniper attachment fires a 20 millimeter anti-materiel APDS round. It can easily over-penetrate hard cover. Controlled breathing, just before firing, offers pinpoint accuracy.

Let's see "Stoneskin" stop that. :shock:

Oh, and visual aids here:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as41-e.htm

:wink:

:) Oh, I bet Dekkie would give a *lot* for one of those right now. :?

He totally needs some Splinter Cell-style gadgets.

The heads-up display includes a light meter wired into a series of photocells in my suit, providing real-time visibility data. When the meter is at 0, I’m a ghost’s shadow. When it’s at max, I’m lit up like a Dutch brothel, as Lambert would say. I don’t want to know how he knows that.

:)

*Or* one of those! :wink:

All according to her will, her will to harm.

Harm spell definitely has some oomph to it, but you have to make a successful touch attack to get it to work... which blows. I usually save my 6th level slots for Heal spells. :wink:

I agree that it's annoying - but if it does work, then it does wonders!

How about if we just -take- your head?

Nice idea...but as I said, I need them both around yet. :(

#20 Weyoun

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:13 PM

I think Bodhi's know exactly where he is the moment she starts looking. It's not as if he can temporarily remove all blood from his body. That's six liters in his body basically serving as a single homing beacon. ;)

Well, that's luck... Uh, sorta.

Bodhi stalking angrily around the safe, ranting about her purloined papers, oblivious to all else. Yes, that’s right. I am not here. I do not exist. There is nothing and nobody of interest here.

The moment the distraction stops, he's done for. Let's hope that Bodhi's slow attention-span is on a break right now.

D'oh!

:twisted:

Hmm, maybe a sugar-cube. :wink:

Well, that's another fine mess you've gotten us into. :wink:
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com