Chapter 16 - Devil's Bridge

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Clovis_*

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:12 AM

Somewhere east of Athkatla

The night passed peacefully and the dawn came without incident. Theodoric's party began their morning rituals with the same clockwork efficiency as they’d settled in with. After taking care of personal hygiene and an quick breakfast, each set about the tasks of gathering their gear, making morning prayers, and the like.

Aerie blinked fuzzily as the others moved about, oblivious to the twigs and leaves tangled in her hair. She was tired and sore, but thought better of complaining about it. She followed the other’s example as best she could, packing up her gear and making her morning prayers to Baervan Wildwanderer. When she headed to the privy pit they had dug, she was noticeably limping.

Theodoric noticed Aerie’s difficulty and called Jaheira over. The druid had seen it too and headed after her.

When Jaheira reached Aerie, she was sitting on the ground, rubbing her legs and bare feet.

“What is the matter, child?”

“Oh! Jaheira, I didn’t hear you come up” Aerie said quickly. “It’s nothing, really.”

“Nonsense, child. You are nearly in tears. Let me have a look.”

Aerie relented and allowed Jaheira to examine her. Her feet were blistered and raw.

“No wonder, child. You cannot travel like this.”

“I d-didn’t want to be a bother, Jaheira.”

“There is no shame in needing help, girl. If you travel like this you will be no good to anyone in a day or two. Have you any healing spells memorized?”

“Y-yes. Only I didn’t want to waste them.”

“You are wise to conserve your magic, Aerie. But do not be miserly with it.” With that Jaheira quickly cast a light healing spell on the elf.

“There. Better?”

“Much” Aerie said gratefully. “Only my legs are still a little sore.”

Jaheira thought for a moment and dug into her back. She withdrew a small bottle of pinkish liquid and applied a bit to a leaf she plucked from a nearby tree. “This will burn a bit, but it will soothe your aches.”

The spicy smelling liquid tingled and heated up Aerie’s skin as Jaheira applied it. It was unpleasant at first, but soon Aerie found she could move about with less pain.

“Thanks, Jaheira” Aerie said, her mood brightening. “I think I’ll be okay now.”

“Then finish up what you must and be ready to go as quickly as possible”, the druid replied sternly. “We are leaving the road today, and the going will be harder.” She paused and spoke in a softer tone. “Do not worry, child. In time your body will toughen and you will endure the road as well as the rest of us.”

As the road turned south the party left it, their destination taking them due east. The terrain was still fairly flat and clear, though a ridge of forested hills loomed in the distance.

Aerie trudged along with the others, doing her best to keep up.

Everyone is always so severe she thought. This is so different than what I was expecting.

Indeed, the adventures uncle Quayle had told her of had been like fairy tales, full of wonder and magic and humor. They reminded her of the tales her mother had sung to her when she was a child.

Sadness filled her again and Aerie bit her lip to force back the tears.

O no, not now! If I start crying again they’ll all be so angry with me! Aerie glanced at Jaheira, who was at the front of the group, speaking with Theodoric. Especially Jaheira. Why doesn’t she like me?

Aerie’s eyes drifted over to Theodoric, and lingered there for a time. Aerie found her sadness ebb a bit. Even in his armor, Aerie could see the bearing and confidence he carried himself with. It reassured her, the way uncle Quayle’s gentleness and patience had always reassured her.

Aerie stubbed her foot on a loose clod of dirt and inadvertently sent it flying into Yoshimo’s calf.

“Sorry!” she squeaked, forcing herself to pay attention to where she was going again.

The sun was high in the sky when Theodoric called for a stop. “We will rest here for a bit. We’re behind schedule, so we’ll have to pick up the pace from here on out.”

Aerie sighed and sat on the ground, sipping a bit of water from her waterskin. After a couple of mouthfuls, she closed it and put it away.

“You are learning”, Jaheira said. Aerie looked up.

“I’m sorry, Jaheira?”

“I said you are learning”, the druid repeated. “You addressed your thirst, but remembered to conserve your water. That is an important thing to remember when away from civilization.”

“Th-thanks” Aerie said, surprised and happy she did something right for a change.

Jaheira sat down near her and drank a bit of water herself. “How are you feeling, child?” she asked. “How are you holding up?”

“Better, Jaheira”, Aerie replied. “The medicine you put on my legs helped.”

Jaheira smiled faintly. “Aches and pains are part of an adventurer’s life. I cannot tell you how many times I have had call to make a batch of that particular balm.”

“Uncle Quayle never told me about this part of adventuring”, Aerie admitted.

“There is much you will have to face, child” Jaheira said, firmly but not harshly. “Do not forget that. Many choose this life smitten with the grand tales coming from the lips of bards.” Her voice hardened. “But it is also a life filled with toil, hardship…and loss.”

Jaheira took a final drink of water and replaced her skin. “I must speak with Theodoric before we depart”, she said curtly. With that, she stood and strode off.

Aerie now felt more unsure of herself than ever.

Theodoric and Yoshimo were looking at the party’s maps when Jaheira approached. He looked up and motioned to her.

“Is something wrong?” she asked.

“No, just the opposite, actually” Theodoric said. “Yoshimo may have found away to save us some time and effort.”

Yoshimo had pulled out a small map and laid it next to a part of the map of Amn they’d bought before leaving Athkatla. It corresponded to the general area they were currently in and showed several routes not listed on the larger map.

Yoshimo traced a path with his finger. “If we head north and take this trail here, we can cross the stream at this bridge, and then turn east again.

“I do not recognize this path”, Jaheira said. “Or this map. Where did you get this map? It looks quite old.”

“It is a smuggler’s map”, Yoshimo said. “The trail was once used by a group some years back.”

“How many years ago?”

“I am not sure of that”, Yoshimo admitted.

“So we do not know if the route still exists? Or if the bridge still stands?”

Yoshimo shrugged. “My sources tell me that both are still intact.” The thief became closemouthed at that point, unwilling to divulge anything more about his ‘sources’ to the druid.

“Well” Theodoric reasoned. “We could reach the trail within a couple of hours, and the bridge before nightfall.

Jaheira examined both maps, furrowing her brow. “That ‘stream’ is an estuary of the Alandor river. The water will likely be swift and deep. If the bridge is not there, we will unlikely be able to cross it.”

“That would be a problem” Theodoric agreed. “But if the bridge is there, it could save us half a day, and quite a bit of effort. The hills due east look pretty steep, not to mention heavily forested.”

Jaheira sighed. “As you will. I will inform the others.”

The trail was overgrown in many places, but still accessible. Certainly it was easier going than a range of wooded hills. The adventurers made surprisingly good time, reaching a large clearing near the bridge with a few minutes of daylight to spare.

“There it is” Yoshimo pointed.

A stone bridge of masterful craftsmanship bridged the stream, which was as wide and swift as Jaheira had predicted. Curiously, the bridge bore no signs of wear and looked as if it had been recently scrubbed clean. Yoshimo was the only one to notice this, however, as the other adventurers were looking about with varying degrees of unhappiness.

“Do..do you feel that?” asked Aerie. “Something is strange here.”

“Yes, I feel it too” Jaheira added. “It feels as if Nature itself is out of balance.”

Theodoric closed his eyes and concentrated for a moment. He scowled, looking about with great suspicion.

Minsc said nothing, but was pointing Boo about, nodding as the hamster squeaked frenetically.

“Have I missed something?” Yoshimo asked. “I do not mean to sound dense, but I feel nothing unusual.”

“You would not” Jaheira said flatly. “You are not attuned to Nature as a druid is.” “Or an elf” she added, looking to Aerie. Jaheira softly chanted a spell and held her hands aloft.

“Yes, I am sure of it now. The balance has been upset here. Something unnatural permeates this area.”

There is something fell about this place, Yoshimo” Theodoric added warily. “I do not have the bond with the natural world Jaheira or Aerie have. But Torm has seen fit to allow me to sense evil, be it in men’s hearts, or outside them. There is something dark here, something very dark.”

“Perhaps we should be on our way, then” Yoshimo suggested, suddenly nervous. “The bridge lies just ahead.”

“No” Theodoric said. “The feeling is even greater there. We will have to find another route.”

Another route? Just because of a feeling? “It is too late in the day to double back”, the thief reminded him. “Even now the sun sets. What do you suggest we do?”

“Unless someone has a better idea, we’ll set camp up along the trail” Theodoric announced. “ I don’t think we should risk that bridge, and I don’t think it would be wise to camp here. We can head back in the morning.”

The party fell back several hundred yards, finding a defensible spot along the overgrown trail. The evening meal was eaten in utter silence, with more than few concerned and nervous glances shot towards the clearing. When the watch order was worked out, Theodoric decided to have two guards on each shift, just in case. Jaheira and Yoshimo drew the first watch.

Theodoric retired uneasily to his blankets. He was surprised how easily sleep came to him. In moments, he was dreaming.

Pain.

“Perhaps we need to find a fresh nerve. Yes, likely that one is dulled from overtesting. I must make a note of that.”

As Pain increased, the voice of one tormentor became a blur, while another spoke to him with unmistakable clarity…

“NO!”

Theodoric bolted upright, bathed in sweat. Jaheira and Yoshimo snapped their heads about.

“What is wrong?” Jaheira said, her face creased in worry. “Are you all right?”

“I am..fine” Theodoric said slowly. “A bad dream, that’s all.”

Theodoric wiped the sweat from his face and got to his feet. “I think I’ll start my watch now. You or Yoshimo can rest now.”

“You have barely slept.”

“I won’t sleep again tonight, I think.”

“Very well, I – Theodoric. Look.”

Jaheira pointed towards the clearing in the distance. Faint light could be seen coming from it.

“That wasn’t there a minute ago” Yoshimo frowned.

“No, it wasn’t” Theodoric murmured absently. “Jaheira?”

“Yes?”

“Wake the others.”

The approached the clearing under cover of darkness, letting Jaheira and Aerie guide them in with their infravision. The light was brighter, and they could hear voices and other noises. Theodoric whispered for them to a halt and had Yoshimo and Minsc scout ahead. They crept towards the clearing, disappearing into the darkness.

“What do we do now?” whispered Aerie.

“Hush, child!” Jaheira hissed.

“Sorry!” Aerie whispered back, her face reddening.

Yoshimo returned several minutes later.

“Where is Minsc?” Theodoric asked sharply.

“He’s keeping watch” the thief said, his face pale. “You should come take a look at this.”

“What is it?”

“It’s easier if you just come and see.”

Theodoric reached the edge of the clearing where Minsc was keeping watch. He understood why Yoshimo had been at a loss to explain things.

In the clearing now stood a village of thatched huts and barns. A group of peasants stood in the center of the hamlet, surrounding a large unlit pyre. The scene had an unreal quality to it.

“What *is* this, Theodoric?” asked Yoshimo. “Is this what you felt?”

“I don’t know, Yoshimo” the paladin replied. “It must be.”

A town elder set the pyre ablaze and exhorted to the assembled crowd. None of the adventurers could quite make out his words. The assembled villagers began moaning a chant.

“That looks like a summoning spell” Aerie said, fear creeping into her voice.

At that moment, several villagers, led by an old priest, approached the assembled crowd. The priest shouted at the assembled villagers, and the elder that led them. The elder screamed something back, and the assembled villagers set upon the priest and his group.

“We have to stop this!” shouted Theodoric. “Follow me!”

The adventurers rushed into the midst of the villagers only to find they were oblivious to them. Theodoric could see now the villagers were ghostly, insubstantial. His hand passed right through them.

“Wha-?” Yoshimo said. “Is this an illusion?”

“It is more than that, I think” Theodoric said. “We are seeing something that has happened already, perhaps long ago. This is some sort of haunting.”

The villagers dragged the priest and his group before the pyre and continued with the ritual, chanting their frenzied mantra. The flames turned eldritch, a shape forming in the heart of the blaze.

An enormous fiend stepped forth from the flames, a terrifying creature of supreme malevolence. In its hand it held a huge obsidian wand, tipped with a human skull. The villagers raised their hands up to greet the creature, presenting the old priest and the villagers that had sided with him to the demon. The demon gleefully slew the priest and his allies, devouring their hearts in a horrid feast. It then worked some great feat of magic, creating the bridge that now stood before the adventurers. With a sweep of its wand, the fiend bestowed its “blessing” on the village before vanishing.

The grotesque scene playing out before the adventurers accelerated. Seasons passed quickly, then years. Each fall the harvest was bountiful and the livestock healthy and fattened. The villagers themselves were the picture of health and did not appear to age. With each passing year, however, their nature grew darker, more fearful. Strangers to the village were driven out, then in later years murdered. Then, in a truly base display, outsiders were captured and sacrificed on an altar to the demon. The villagers’ faces were filled with fear and desperation as they did so, as if they were hoping to appease the creature.

The haunting slowed to a single point in time. The demon returned to the village one night, razing the village to ashes. The villagers wailed and pleaded with the demon, who delighted in their fear. One by one the villagers fell to the ground, dying, their souls ripped from their bodies. The demon reveled in its triumph before opening a fiery crack in the earth to receive the damned villagers’ souls.

The scene faded and went dark. A pale light shone from above, like moonlight, illuminating the bridge. In that light, the bridge shifted, revealing its true nature. Pressed against the surface of the bridge were the faces of the priest and the villagers who had opposed the demon’s summoning. With horror, the adventurers realized the bridge had been built of their very souls. The faces mouthed silent pleas and wept bitter tears. The light faded and the bridge resumed its original appearance.

“Torm’s blood” whispered Theodoric.

“The villagers – they brokered their souls to that…thing?” Yoshimo said, visibly shaken.

“It would seem so”, Theodoric said, his voice choked with disgust. “They murdered their own, murdered strangers, murdered themselves. All for a life of comfort.”

“Yoshimo, did your ‘contact’ mention any of this when they sold you the map?” asked Jaheira.

Yoshimo shook his head. “I knew nothing of this, my word upon that.”

“S-surely we aren’t the first ones to see this?” Aerie wondered aloud. “Someone else must have seen this before?”

“Perhaps not, child” Jaheira said. Mere smugglers would not have sensed the things we did. Perhaps it was our… presence… that caused this to appear?”

Theodoric’s blood ran cold. Me. It was because of me. My taint somehow triggered this. I am sure of it. Jaheira is too.

“We must help those who resisted the demon” Theodoric said quietly. “Somehow, we must free them from that prison.”

“I agree” Jaheira said. “But we may not possess the means to do so. Such a powerful magic is not easily undone.”

“No, it isn’t” Theodoric admitted. “But we must try.”

Despite their best efforts, the infernal bridge resisted any attempt to destroy it. Blows were harmlessly turned aside, and their magic fizzled. At last even Theodoric relented, seeing it hopeless.

“We will need help with this”, he finally admitted. “When we return to Athkatla, we will seek guidance from the temples. There must be a way to undo this evil. There must!”

“I will pray for guidance from Nature, as well” Jaheira added, in a calming tone. She studied Theodoric from the corner of her eyes. There is that look again, the look you had in Irenicus’ dungeon. There is something amiss with you, but what?

“What do we do now?” interrupted Yoshimo. “Do we continue on?”

“We go back to camp, Yoshimo. In the morning we will head back. The hills will be difficult crossing. But I will not defile myself by trodding on that bridge.”

Yoshimo looked wistfully at the bridge, and the flat ground that lay beyond it. He debated whether or not the paladin was being overly zealous.

He decided that he was not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com