A Cappella Part 280 - Twilight

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:11 PM

Ooof.

Lot of weighty stuff in this chapter, huh? But I guess it kinda has to be that way, since Armageddon's just over the next rise, pretty much. Still, there's a lot of it, especially the whole mess where Jarran concludes that Gorion and company were "conspiring" to keep his true nature a secret. You get the feeling from the games that it was a standard thing, keeping Charname's heritage a non-issue for as long as possible, but adding that little bit with the late-night spell-casting and the like is a twist I didn't see coming.

I suppose you did have to find some way to reconcile the idea that Jarran's the most juiced-up in terms of power-level, and yet pretty much nobody knew, even until now... (Shrug)

Really, the game is rather laid out that way. Our PC starts off BG1 with no clue that they are anything other than a normal example of their race. Half-god or not, the PC is a very powerful Bhaalspawn, and I had to wonder at how much effort it took to keep them thinking like that. All I did was add some details on how that might be managed.

And it has been obvious for a long time that something was different about Jarran. People have been asking for ages what the explanation of the 'silver eyes' was... well, this is it. The musical magic comes from his own divinity, rather than Bhaal's essence. It is just now all laid out for both Jarran and the reader.

#22 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:40 PM

AC280-Twilight

I'm fallin' down a spiral
Destination unknown
A double cross messenger
All alone
Can't get no connection
Can't get through
Where are you?

Well, the night weighs heavy
On his guilty mind
This far from the border line
And when the hitman comes
He knows damn well he has been cheated
And he says

Help, I'm stepping into the Twilight Zone
The place is a mad house
Feels like being cloned
My beacon's been moved
Under moon and star
Where am I to go
Now that I've gone too far?
Soon you will come to know
When the bullet hits the bone

“Twilight Zone” Golden Earring

I have been meaning to look up the lyrics for that song for the longest time! I or my wife would sing along with the song - without breakables nearby or in the vicinity of small dogs - and would wind up having to mumble half the song...

Excellent song, though. Love the instrumental section, especially the drums!

Jarran stared sorrowfully at Balthazar’s ash-covered throne. “Damn,” he whispered.

I thought this was a non-smoking section?

“First, I have a question. Why? Why didn’t you tell me that I was doomed?”

Doomed? I do not understand, godchild.

Doomed, I say! Dooooooooooooooomed!

“Haven’t you been listening to me all these times we’ve spoken? I don’t want this!”

A noted philosopher of our time said:
"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime
You get what you need."
:wink:

She turned to the solar and said, “I am here. Speak quickly, slave of the gods.”

Well, someone is a little pissy today...

You are here at my sufferance, spirit. You will answer our questions.

“Bah! You are fortunate that my physical form is in slumber, otherwise you would be torn to bits! You have called a piece of a living goddess to you, fool.”

Modest too. :roll:

The solar merely raised an eyebrow. Then explain yourself. If you are correct, it shall make no difference in the end.

Yep... Time for the Arch-Nemesis monolgue.
"If you couldn't figure out by now, THIS is who I am, THAT is EXACTLY what I've been doing, and OVER THERE is why I've been doing it! AND THERE's NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO STOP ME! Muahahahahah! ! ! ! (Well, unless you put underwear on your head, dance around a bonfire in your living room and sing Waltzing Matilda at the top of your lungs for three days straight.)"

Traitorous bitch! You turn your back on your god? I was wrong when I decided that you would not bear one of my children. A brat might have reminded you of your place!

A little old-fashioned, aren't we?

“You slaughtered an entire city?”

Yeah, but I left all the Starbuck's intact!

Even a demigoddess needs her caffeine.

“Do not be dense, of course I did! I would easily slay all of Tethyr to achieve my goal!”

Wouldn't it be easier to have everyone taste your cooking?

Jarran blinked hard. At last, he saw his place in the prophecy. If Amelyssan became a goddess, she and Cyric would wreak havoc in every corner of Faerun. He was the only one with the power to prevent the inevitable bloodshed.

This reminds me somewhat of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion Cycle. Where the several incarnations of the Eternal Champion are fighting to protect the Cosmic Balance - which appears as a set of scales tipping into balance at the end of the Elric books - until Hawkmoon manages to destroy it, leaving people to determine their own fates...

Moorcock is nothing if not ultra-cosmic!

Before Jarran could act the solar snapped, Enough! A battle here will solve nothing. She gave an irritated gesture, and Amelyssan vanished.

That gesture wouldn't be the finger, would it? :P

“Then… then what? If I defeat her, what happens next?”

You're going to Disneyland!

Illax stared at the blade for a long moment. “He… he was behaving strangely, but I never suspected…” He straightened and said, “That still does not answer my question. Where is Jarran?”

The companions shared uncomfortable glances. Jaheira said, “He is sometimes… called away. He will return shortly.”

He had to return to a contact, buy some inspirations, maybe a couple enhancements... :roll:

Sorry. Been playing a lot of CoH lately...

“When I was Irenicus’ prisoner, he ordered… someone to slice my face. His journal says that as soon as the cuts healed, hair grew over the scars almost overnight. He speculated that my essence was trying to protect me somehow.”

I must have missed something... I thought Jarran gre it naturally, to hide the scars... ?

Or was it that he decided to not shave it off...?

*sigh* I guess I need to re-read that part... :wink:

"The stage is set
The band starts playing
Suddenly your heart is pounding
Wishing secretly you were a star"

(Styx - Grand Illusion) :D

The 80's Mutant

(Ok.. I know... Grand Illusion was late 70's. :roll: )

#23 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:47 AM

I have been meaning to look up the lyrics for that song for the longest time! I or my wife would sing along with the song - without breakables nearby or in the vicinity of small dogs - and would wind up having to mumble half the song...

Excellent song, though. Love the instrumental section, especially the drums!

I know what you mean. When I looked up the lyrics I kept saying "oh, *that's* what that line is!"

Jarran stared sorrowfully at Balthazar’s ash-covered throne. “Damn,” he whispered.

I thought this was a non-smoking section?

*smack*

Doomed? I do not understand, godchild.

Doomed, I say! Dooooooooooooooomed!

*smacks up the back of Mike's head*

“Haven’t you been listening to me all these times we’ve spoken? I don’t want this!”

A noted philosopher of our time said:
"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime
You get what you need."
:wink:

*snerk*

She turned to the solar and said, “I am here. Speak quickly, slave of the gods.”

Mel: Along with the essence, I inherited the cycles of all the female Bhaalspawn. Can you say permanent PMS?

“Bah! You are fortunate that my physical form is in slumber, otherwise you would be torn to bits! You have called a piece of a living goddess to you, fool.”

Modest too. :roll:

Are megalomaniacs ever modest?

The solar merely raised an eyebrow. Then explain yourself. If you are correct, it shall make no difference in the end.

"If you couldn't figure out by now, THIS is who I am, THAT is EXACTLY what I've been doing, and OVER THERE is why I've been doing it! AND THERE's NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO STOP ME! Muahahahahah! ! ! ! (Well, unless you put underwear on your head, dance around a bonfire in your living room and sing Waltzing Matilda at the top of your lungs for three days straight.)"

Letting the hero know, of course, exactly how to mess things up.

Traitorous bitch! You turn your back on your god? I was wrong when I decided that you would not bear one of my children. A brat might have reminded you of your place!

A little old-fashioned, aren't we?

What, you expect the Lord of Murder to be enlightened?

“You slaughtered an entire city?”

Yeah, but I left all the Starbuck's intact!

Even a demigoddess needs her caffeine.

And would be sign of her true evil.

“Do not be dense, of course I did! I would easily slay all of Tethyr to achieve my goal!”

Wouldn't it be easier to have everyone taste your cooking?

Hee!

Jarran blinked hard. At last, he saw his place in the prophecy. If Amelyssan became a goddess, she and Cyric would wreak havoc in every corner of Faerun. He was the only one with the power to prevent the inevitable bloodshed.

This reminds me somewhat of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion Cycle. Where the several incarnations of the Eternal Champion are fighting to protect the Cosmic Balance - which appears as a set of scales tipping into balance at the end of the Elric books - until Hawkmoon manages to destroy it, leaving people to determine their own fates...

Moorcock is nothing if not ultra-cosmic!

Thankee for the comparison.

Before Jarran could act the solar snapped, Enough! A battle here will solve nothing. She gave an irritated gesture, and Amelyssan vanished.

That gesture wouldn't be the finger, would it? :wink:

Solar: I am a divine being. I would not be so crude. Okay, I blew her a raspberry. Even we divine beings get bad moods.

Too much trouble. Disney World is closer... oh, you meant Jarran.

Illax stared at the blade for a long moment. “He… he was behaving strangely, but I never suspected…” He straightened and said, “That still does not answer my question. Where is Jarran?”

The companions shared uncomfortable glances. Jaheira said, “He is sometimes… called away. He will return shortly.”

He had to return to a contact, buy some inspirations, maybe a couple enhancements... :roll:

I looked at the CoH website. I don't think it's for me, because I absolutely bite at games that can't be paused. I have rotten reflexes.

“When I was Irenicus’ prisoner, he ordered… someone to slice my face. His journal says that as soon as the cuts healed, hair grew over the scars almost overnight. He speculated that my essence was trying to protect me somehow.”

I must have missed something... I thought Jarran gre it naturally, to hide the scars... ?

Or was it that he decided to not shave it off...?

*sigh* I guess I need to re-read that part... :roll:

When he came out of Chateau Irenicus, Jarran assumed it had grown naturally. He didn't shave it off because he wanted to cover the scars. However, when Ellesime gave them Irenicus' lab journals, Jarran discovered that his beard had grown in at an unnaturally fast speed.

"The stage is set
The band starts playing
Suddenly your heart is pounding
Wishing secretly you were a star"

(Styx - Grand Illusion) :D

The 80's Mutant

(Ok.. I know... Grand Illusion was late 70's. :lol: )

It's all good. :P

Thanks for commenting!

#24 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:14 AM

Mel: Along with the essence, I inherited the cycles of all the female Bhaalspawn. Can you say permanent PMS?

Oh... My... God...

(My wife just went through a, shall we say, particularly intense session recently... My head was constantly on a platter in the fridge for about 2 days...)

Yeah, but do you guys have the Indiana Jones ride out there yet? :P

He had to return to a contact, buy some inspirations, maybe a couple enhancements... :wink:

I looked at the CoH website. I don't think it's for me, because I absolutely bite at games that can't be paused. I have rotten reflexes.

It's not really a reflex-oriented game, in spite of the non-pause feature. At least I don't think so, but maybe O-Girl would have a better idea as to whether it would truly suit you, since she's playing now. :D

With the different Arch-types in the game - Blasters, Controllers, Defenders, Scappers, Tankers - It is possible to create a character that conforms to your playing style.

It's possible to solo the game, but is a lot more fun and easier with teammates!

My wife isn't much of a twitch player, but she LOVES the game...

#25 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:39 AM

"I mean, one more jolt of this death ray and I'm an epitaph. Somehow I manage to find cover and what does Baron von Ruthless do?"

He had to return to a contact, buy some inspirations, maybe a couple enhancements... :D

Especially self-rez. Gotta have them, unless you want to spend a half hour with just your legs sticking out of a wall.

(Ok.. I know... Grand Illusion was late 70's. :P )

And it had one of rock's coolest album covers ever.

#26 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:43 AM

Oh... My... God...

(My wife just went through a, shall we say, particularly intense session recently... My head was constantly on a platter in the fridge for about 2 days...)

*snicker*

My husband is in a monthly state of befuddlement because our oldest now gets PMS. "Why is she crying? What did I say?"

Yeah, but do you guys have the Indiana Jones ride out there yet? :lol:

There's an Indiana Jones stunt show, but not a ride per se.

It's not really a reflex-oriented game, in spite of the non-pause feature. At least I don't think so, but maybe O-Girl would have a better idea as to whether it would truly suit you, since she's playing now. :lol:

With the different Arch-types in the game - Blasters, Controllers, Defenders, Scappers, Tankers - It is possible to create a character that conforms to your playing style.

It's possible to solo the game, but is a lot more fun and easier with teammates!

*sigh* Right now isn't a good time. I'm wrestling with bills at the moment (the Mayo Clinic doesn't come cheap), and I'm mourning finally dropping out of The Sims Online. I had a beautiful farm in Alphaville, with a pretty farmhouse and a big red barn... but the game just fizzled out. I don't think I'm ready to start something new yet.

#27 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:58 PM

"I mean, one more jolt of this death ray and I'm an epitaph. Somehow I manage to find cover and what does Baron von Ruthless do?"

"He monologues!"

Absolutely GREAT Superhero flick... As I understand it, they rewrote the final battle of the FF movie because of all the things they did in the Incredibles.

Of course, except for Dash, The Icredibles is a direct reference to the FF... :blink:

He had to return to a contact, buy some inspirations, maybe a couple enhancements... :blink:

Especially self-rez. Gotta have them, unless you want to spend a half hour with just your legs sticking out of a wall.

If I think it's gonna be that long, I just go to the hospital. You've already died... err... been defeated :lol: , and the only thing you have to worry about is travelling back to where you need to be. If you wind up playing regularly with a well rounded team, i.e. one that has - among others - an empathy defender, you start deleting the Awakens because you have no need for them.

#28 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:10 PM

Oh... My... God...

*snicker*

My husband is in a monthly state of befuddlement because our oldest now gets PMS. "Why is she crying? What did I say?"

Yeah, but do you guys have the Indiana Jones ride out there yet? :blink:

Yeah, I know.. The stunt show is good, and Dianna was an audience volunteer last time.

But I'm talking about THE RIDE! ! ! ! Have you been to Animal Kingdon? On that Jurassic Park type ride where you're sent back in time and are chased by a T-Rex type (forget the species they used) ?

It's like that, only racing through an old Inca-type ruin with all the typical dangers and escapes you'd expect from an Indy Jones movie... Lots of fun! ! !

I thought they were going to put one out there in the World for the...50th?.. 60th?..anniversary. If they do, it is a MUST RIDE!

It's not really a reflex-oriented game, in spite of the non-pause feature. At least I don't think so, but maybe O-Girl would have a better idea as to whether it would truly suit you, since she's playing now. :lol:

*sigh* Right now isn't a good time. I'm wrestling with bills at the moment (the Mayo Clinic doesn't come cheap), and I'm mourning finally dropping out of The Sims Online. I had a beautiful farm in Alphaville, with a pretty farmhouse and a big red barn... but the game just fizzled out. I don't think I'm ready to start something new yet.

Ah, I can understand that... Our bills are a bit of a monster, too. Unfortunately Dianna had to leave the malls she had stores in because they kept raising the rent. Now she's back to doing the county fair circuit. The money isn't flowing in as fast as it used to! :blink:

Speaking of the clinic, how are you doing? Everything getting better, I hope?

#29 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:23 PM

Yeah, I know.. The stunt show is good, and Dianna was an audience volunteer last time.

But I'm talking about THE RIDE! ! ! ! Have you been to Animal Kingdon? On that Jurassic Park type ride where you're sent back in time and are chased by a T-Rex type (forget the species they used) ?

Oooh, yeah, I've ridden that.

It's like that, only racing through an old Inca-type ruin with all the typical dangers and escapes you'd expect from an Indy Jones movie... Lots of fun! ! !

I thought they were going to put one out there in the World for the...50th?.. 60th?..anniversary. If they do, it is a MUST RIDE!

Sounds cool. But to be honest, it's been a while since we've been to any of the parks, but I haven't seen any ads for it, and I didn't see it on the web.

Ah, I can understand that... Our bills are a bit of a monster, too. Unfortunately Dianna had to leave the malls she had stores in because they kept raising the rent. Now she's back to doing the county fair circuit. The money isn't flowing in as fast as it used to! :lol:

Speaking of the clinic, how are you doing? Everything getting better, I hope?

Slowly but surely. They have to ease me off of some pills I was taking, because they are too powerful to just stop. I had one that had a warning that missing two doses in a row could trigger a heart attack. But at least they know what is wrong with me now, which helps a lot.

#30 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:06 AM

"He monologues!"

Absolutely GREAT Superhero flick... As I understand it, they rewrote the final battle of the FF movie because of all the things they did in the Incredibles.

I'm looking forward to that, I think. PAD has said some good things about how they plan to update the origin story, and I trust his storytelling radar.

But for some reason, the thought of Horatio Hornblower as Reed Richards is a bit disturbing.

He had to return to a contact, buy some inspirations, maybe a couple enhancements... :blink:

If I think it's gonna be that long, I just go to the hospital. You've already died... err... been defeated :lol: , and the only thing you have to worry about is travelling back to where you need to be.

Except it was in mission, and I was waiting for the healer to first, recover enough END to rez me and second, for the rest of the dead, er, defeated team to wake up. They had run off, planning to recover and return for the rest of us, and the baddies followed them and then just stood around their bodies. If I'd had a couple of Awakens, the controller and I could have tried pulling the Outcasts off the healer and gotten the team going again a little quicker.

I do have to gripe a bit about being given missions that end up with me facing off against gangs of red and purple bad guys.

If you wind up playing regularly with a well rounded team, i.e. one that has - among others - an empathy defender, you start deleting the Awakens because you have no need for them.

Yeah. This was a pick-up team, and they were just starting to get really organized when I had to call it a night. One TK controller, a WarShade, a defender/healer, two blasters, and a scrapper. That's the second pick-up team I've been on, and neither time did we have any tanks.

Oh, all I have to say about this being a twitch game is:

7wwwwwww46ctrl-tab53ctrl-tab43

#31 Weyoun

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:27 AM

Ah, the twilight zone. *sighs happily* I still think Nightmare at 20,000 Feet is the best episode.

I swear if they don't get around to releasing the DVD sets here quickly, I'll download the whole damn lot of them. It's not fair the US get everything first. :D :D I'm still waiting Babylon 5 season 5 up here. *grumble*

Scratch one monk.

“Balthazar said that I was a half-god, and I… I know that he was right. I can feel it now, feel the power deep within me. I’ve never been the man that I thought I was. I have lived a false existence all these years. I don’t… I don’t see a way to escape….” He swallowed hard.

Laska : Well, you can always escape into the cups. Always works for me. :(

Laska : Okay, okay, sheesh, can't take a joke. :(

How does that work, exactly? :(

Melissan laughed. “True enough! So be it, I will speak to this whelp. My name is Amelyssan the Blackhearted, High Matriarch and greatest Deathstalker of my Lord Murder's Bhaalist temple. I was his greatest priestess, he even came to me in the Time of Troubles for protection. I stood at my Lord’s right hand.”

I'm glad you took out the 'succor' word.

Laska : Yeah... That had, ahum, multiple interpretations. :shock:

To my most trusted Deathstalker did I entrust the secrets of my resurrection. A foolish mistake.

Is that really him or just something conjured up by the solar?

“I was willing. I would have born you a child of might and magnificence,

Laska : *cough*Inbred*cough*chinless*cough* :D

As she ranted, Jarran met her eyes. Suddenly the room around him melted away, and he saw a world stained with the blood of innocents. He watched Amelyssan’s followers and Cyricists strive against each other, filled with hatred and a desire to eliminate the opposing church. He felt rather than saw a river of screaming souls, the murdered dead who had been killed in a grisly competition between the two gods to prove who was the most murderous. He saw the other gods anxiously trying to protect their churches and faithful as the two divine beings spiraled out of control.

Lovely... :evil:

Amelyssan gave a bark of harsh laughter. “You? You are powerful, I will give you that, but you are only one Bhaalspawn. Your sister is too weak to be much of a threat, and the handful who did not come to Saradush are even more feeble than she!”

I dunno. That bhaalspawn chinchilla was pretty powerful. :(

Jarran chuckled. “It was Gorion. He worked hard to keep what he called my ‘temper’ under control, but now I see that there was more than normal discipline involved. There are a few times I can remember waking up to hear soft chanting, and realizing that Gorion was in my room. He would tell me that he had heard me having a nightmare. He must have been using magic to keep the divine part of me hidden.” The bard’s face grew thoughtful. “Now that I look back, I’m sure that all of Candlekeep was conspiring to make me believe I was normal. I was raised to think of myself as nothing more than human. I… I still think of myself that way.”

Laska : So, um, that's how both our Gorion's hair got so grey all of a sudden, huh? *looks embarrassed*

Sarevok threw back his head and laughed. “A pretender to our father’s throne? She will rue crossing us!”

:?

“Don’t be overconfident, Sarevok. She has found a way to tap into the collected essence of the dead Children. It will not be an easy fight.”

“No, it will not. But we are no ordinary foes.” He dropped his voice and said, “The Lightbringer will triumph. Of that I am certain.”

Let's hope so.
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#32 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:30 PM

Ah, the twilight zone. *sighs happily* I still think Nightmare at 20,000 Feet is the best episode.

I swear if they don't get around to releasing the DVD sets here quickly, I'll download the whole damn lot of them. It's not fair the US get everything first. :D :D I'm still waiting Babylon 5 season 5 up here. *grumble*

*pets* There, there.

Scratch one monk.

Yup.

“Balthazar said that I was a half-god, and I… I know that he was right. I can feel it now, feel the power deep within me. I’ve never been the man that I thought I was. I have lived a false existence all these years. I don’t… I don’t see a way to escape….” He swallowed hard.

Laska : Well, you can always escape into the cups. Always works for me. :(

Laska : Okay, okay, sheesh, can't take a joke. :(

Jarran: I think it is a bit late for that.

How does that work, exactly? :(

I figured that the solar had pulled part of Mel's subconcious there.

Melissan laughed. “True enough! So be it, I will speak to this whelp. My name is Amelyssan the Blackhearted, High Matriarch and greatest Deathstalker of my Lord Murder's Bhaalist temple. I was his greatest priestess, he even came to me in the Time of Troubles for protection. I stood at my Lord’s right hand.”

I'm glad you took out the 'succor' word.

Laska : Yeah... That had, ahum, multiple interpretations. :shock:

That just seemed... my mind kept saying "Look, even megalomaniacs don't talk like that."

To my most trusted Deathstalker did I entrust the secrets of my resurrection. A foolish mistake.

Is that really him or just something conjured up by the solar?

A tiny bit of him.

“I was willing. I would have born you a child of might and magnificence,

Laska : *cough*Inbred*cough*chinless*cough* :D

*snicker*

As she ranted, Jarran met her eyes. Suddenly the room around him melted away, and he saw a world stained with the blood of innocents. He watched Amelyssan’s followers and Cyricists strive against each other, filled with hatred and a desire to eliminate the opposing church. He felt rather than saw a river of screaming souls, the murdered dead who had been killed in a grisly competition between the two gods to prove who was the most murderous. He saw the other gods anxiously trying to protect their churches and faithful as the two divine beings spiraled out of control.

Lovely... :evil:

It would not be pretty.

Amelyssan gave a bark of harsh laughter. “You? You are powerful, I will give you that, but you are only one Bhaalspawn. Your sister is too weak to be much of a threat, and the handful who did not come to Saradush are even more feeble than she!”

I dunno. That bhaalspawn chinchilla was pretty powerful. :(

I doubt the poor fuzzies would be alive any longer. The rest of the Five didn't just sit and wait for Jarran to attack them.

Jarran chuckled. “It was Gorion. He worked hard to keep what he called my ‘temper’ under control, but now I see that there was more than normal discipline involved. There are a few times I can remember waking up to hear soft chanting, and realizing that Gorion was in my room. He would tell me that he had heard me having a nightmare. He must have been using magic to keep the divine part of me hidden.” The bard’s face grew thoughtful. “Now that I look back, I’m sure that all of Candlekeep was conspiring to make me believe I was normal. I was raised to think of myself as nothing more than human. I… I still think of myself that way.”

Laska : So, um, that's how both our Gorion's hair got so grey all of a sudden, huh? *looks embarrassed*

:D

Sarevok threw back his head and laughed. “A pretender to our father’s throne? She will rue crossing us!”

:?

Sarevok still has a touch of 'bwahaha' in him.

“Don’t be overconfident, Sarevok. She has found a way to tap into the collected essence of the dead Children. It will not be an easy fight.”

“No, it will not. But we are no ordinary foes.” He dropped his voice and said, “The Lightbringer will triumph. Of that I am certain.”

Let's hope so.

We shall see.

#33 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:46 PM

Sarevok still has a touch of 'bwahaha' in him.

Of course he does. Otherwise he wouldn't be Sarevok. *dreamy eyes* *drool* *ducks the incoming Crom Fayer*

#34 Guest_RickTaylor_*

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:34 AM

Hello Silrana!

Wow, he really doesn’t like the thought of becoming a god, does he?

It’s not clear he’ll have a choice.

I cannot change the conditions of your birth, godchild. I can only show you the paths that you may follow.

I like the way you write the solar. She’s a divine force, but more constrained by rules than even Jarran.

“So what path is there now? The Five are dead. Melissan plotted their deaths, but she isn’t a Bhaalspawn. Is she going to try to resurrect Bhaal?”
You must understand what awaits you now, godchild, and for this, the one you know as Melissan will explain for herself.

:)

This woman wore an elaborate feathered headdress and clothing stained with old blood.

:D You know, Meli, you might be able to get those out with Spray-N-Wash...

Her head was tilted back as she looked them over, and she gave them a disdainful smirk.

:) Slave of the...?!? Just who summoned whom here, Meli?

:shock: Yeah, you tell her!

Getting a little ahead of ourselves don’t you think, Meli?

Melissan laughed. “True enough! So be it, I will speak to this whelp.

:) Typical villain, she just can’t resist an opportunity to monologue.

Jarran took a step back in surprise as another figure came into being. A tall dark-haired man stood a short distance from Amelyssan, glaring at her in anger. Jarran recognized the image of Bhaal that he had seen in the other part of the Abyssal plane. To my most trusted Deathstalker did I entrust the secrets of my resurrection. A foolish mistake.

:evil: Bhaal, you IDIOT!!!!!!!!

“I was willing. I would have born you a child of might and magnificence, but you were afraid I would try to seize power for the babe. Instead I decided that none were more deserving than I!”

:) Kind of feels like we’ve wandered into a family spat.

:) Another god’s eye view. Jarran can’t wholly reject his inheritance, if he’s going to stop this.

“I will be a goddess, and nothing will stand in the way of that,” Amelyssan crowed.

“Except me,” Jarran said softly.

Nice.

The solar turned to him and said in a softer voice, Your course is set, godchild. When you return to your plane, prepare yourself. You will face one last challenge, but then… you must bring down the wall between your plane and the Throne of Blood, where Amelyssan is drawing the essence into herself. The final act of the prophecy awaits.

I cannot answer that, godchild. The future of divine beings is beyond my abilities. I wish you well.

Again, the solar isn't all knowing.

As the party waited impatiently in the hallway, more monks arrived. After a whispered conversation with Illax, they joined the uneasy vigil.

I was worried about this; I hope the monks don’t blame Jarran for Balthazar’s death.

The monk frowned, then said, “With Balthazar gone, I lead the monastery. I respected him, but I did not approve of his obsessions. I understood his fear of being attacked, but that was no reason to abandon the townsfolk. It is time we returned to the old ways.”

It looks like the monastery is in good hands, at least.

“Take what you will. I must see to dismissing the mercenaries and putting the monastery back in order.” Illax turned away, the moisture in his eyes belying the gruffness of his words.

:(

After they had finished, they returned to Jarran’s plane. By silent agreement, they went to the common room and sat around the dining table. “All right, Jar,” Imoen said. “Spill it.”

:D Imoen’s direct as always.

Interesting explanation. The game never explained why the pc was so extraordinary.

The bard shook himself out of his thoughts. “No other Children, but there is a threat. Melissan is actually a priestess of Bhaal. She was supposed to resurrect him, but instead she intends to steal his power and become a goddess herself. I’m afraid she is determined to have my essence as well.”

I agree! Good story.

--Rick

#35 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:26 AM

Hello Silrana!

*waves*

Wow, he really doesn’t like the thought of becoming a god, does he?

Nobody likes the idea of being trapped.

It’s not clear he’ll have a choice.

We know what is going to happen, but the characters don't.

I cannot change the conditions of your birth, godchild. I can only show you the paths that you may follow.

I like the way you write the solar. She’s a divine force, but more constrained by rules than even Jarran.

Even the gods have rules they have to follow.

“So what path is there now? The Five are dead. Melissan plotted their deaths, but she isn’t a Bhaalspawn. Is she going to try to resurrect Bhaal?”
You must understand what awaits you now, godchild, and for this, the one you know as Melissan will explain for herself.

This woman wore an elaborate feathered headdress and clothing stained with old blood.

:D You know, Meli, you might be able to get those out with Spray-N-Wash...

lol

Her head was tilted back as she looked them over, and she gave them a disdainful smirk.

:) Slave of the...?!? Just who summoned whom here, Meli?

She thinks of herself as a goddess, so everyone else is beneath her.

:shock: Yeah, you tell her!

Getting a little ahead of ourselves don’t you think, Meli?

Hey, she was a Deathstalker. Humble doesn't come with the job description.

Melissan laughed. “True enough! So be it, I will speak to this whelp.

:) Typical villain, she just can’t resist an opportunity to monologue.

Yeah, that monologue always gets 'em.

Jarran took a step back in surprise as another figure came into being. A tall dark-haired man stood a short distance from Amelyssan, glaring at her in anger. Jarran recognized the image of Bhaal that he had seen in the other part of the Abyssal plane. To my most trusted Deathstalker did I entrust the secrets of my resurrection. A foolish mistake.

:evil: Bhaal, you IDIOT!!!!!!!!

Considering how fanatical Bhaalists were as a rule, it really wasn't that odd for him to expect his orders to be followed.

“I was willing. I would have born you a child of might and magnificence, but you were afraid I would try to seize power for the babe. Instead I decided that none were more deserving than I!”

:) Kind of feels like we’ve wandered into a family spat.

Hehehe, family feuding on a cosmic scale.

:) Another god’s eye view. Jarran can’t wholly reject his inheritance, if he’s going to stop this.

We will see.

“I will be a goddess, and nothing will stand in the way of that,” Amelyssan crowed.

“Except me,” Jarran said softly.

Nice.

Thankee.

The solar turned to him and said in a softer voice, Your course is set, godchild. When you return to your plane, prepare yourself. You will face one last challenge, but then… you must bring down the wall between your plane and the Throne of Blood, where Amelyssan is drawing the essence into herself. The final act of the prophecy awaits.

I cannot answer that, godchild. The future of divine beings is beyond my abilities. I wish you well.

Again, the solar isn't all knowing.

Heck, I'm not sure even Ao can claim that.

As the party waited impatiently in the hallway, more monks arrived. After a whispered conversation with Illax, they joined the uneasy vigil.

I was worried about this; I hope the monks don’t blame Jarran for Balthazar’s death.

No, they realize that Balthazar basically self-destructed.

The monk frowned, then said, “With Balthazar gone, I lead the monastery. I respected him, but I did not approve of his obsessions. I understood his fear of being attacked, but that was no reason to abandon the townsfolk. It is time we returned to the old ways.”

It looks like the monastery is in good hands, at least.

Yes. It was there before Balthazar, and it will survive without him.

“Take what you will. I must see to dismissing the mercenaries and putting the monastery back in order.” Illax turned away, the moisture in his eyes belying the gruffness of his words.

:(

He may have disapproved, but he has still lost a friend.

After they had finished, they returned to Jarran’s plane. By silent agreement, they went to the common room and sat around the dining table. “All right, Jar,” Imoen said. “Spill it.”

:D Imoen’s direct as always.

Of course. :D

Interesting explanation. The game never explained why the pc was so extraordinary.

I figured there should be some reason that the PC and the Five, etc., were so powerful.

The bard shook himself out of his thoughts. “No other Children, but there is a threat. Melissan is actually a priestess of Bhaal. She was supposed to resurrect him, but instead she intends to steal his power and become a goddess herself. I’m afraid she is determined to have my essence as well.”

Sarevok isn't going to get riled by a priestess.

I agree! Good story.

--Rick

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com