Feels like being cloned
My beacon's been moved
Under moon and star
Where am I to go
Now that I've gone too far?
Soon you will come to know
When the bullet hits the bone

“Twilight Zone” Golden Earring

Jarran stared sorrowfully at Balthazar’s ash-covered throne. “Damn,” he whispered.

The bard felt a strange sensation, but this time he was ready when the world shifted and he found himself back in the Abyss. His stomach fluttered slightly, but did not drive him to his knees as it had in the past.

He nodded at the solar coolly. “I knew I would be seeing you again.”

The greatest of the Bhaalspawn, the Five, have been destroyed, godchild. Nearly all of Bhaal's essence has been returned to the source. Your journey is nearly complete.

“First, I have a question. Why? Why didn’t you tell me that I was doomed?”

Doomed? I do not understand, godchild.

“Balthazar said that I was a half-god, and I… I know that he was right. I can feel it now, feel the power deep within me. I’ve never been the man that I thought I was. I have lived a false existence all these years. I don’t… I don’t see a way to escape….” He swallowed hard.

Balthazar was indeed correct. He told you of Bhaal’s plan, to create a score of divine children who would increase the power given them so that Bhaal would return even stronger than before. You are one of that number. Your foster father kept your power in check, but now there are no constraints upon you. You are at last coming into your own.

“Haven’t you been listening to me all these times we’ve spoken? I don’t want this!”

I cannot change the conditions of your birth, godchild. I can only show you the paths that you may follow.

“So what path is there now? The Five are dead. Melissan plotted their deaths, but she isn’t a Bhaalspawn. Is she going to try to resurrect Bhaal?”

You must understand what awaits you now, godchild, and for this, the one you know as Melissan will explain for herself.

The solar gestured, and a woman appeared. Gone was the gentle, slightly foolish expression, the soft robes, the helpful demeanor. This woman wore an elaborate feathered headdress and clothing stained with old blood. Her head was tilted back as she looked them over, and she gave them a disdainful smirk.

She turned to the solar and said, “I am here. Speak quickly, slave of the gods.”

You are here at my sufferance, spirit. You will answer our questions.

“Bah! You are fortunate that my physical form is in slumber, otherwise you would be torn to bits! You have called a piece of a living goddess to you, fool.”

You are no goddess yet, mortal. The prophecy has not come to fruition.

“Prophecy! The prattling of a senile old man. Do you expect me to care about Alaundo and his drivel? I have laid my plans, and all has happened as I wished it. All of Bhaal's essence will be mine!”

The solar merely raised an eyebrow. Then explain yourself. If you are correct, it shall make no difference in the end.

Melissan laughed. “True enough! So be it, I will speak to this whelp. My name is Amelyssan the Blackhearted, High Matriarch and greatest Deathstalker of my Lord Murder's Bhaalist temple. I was his greatest priestess, he even came to me in the Time of Troubles for protection. I stood at my Lord’s right hand.”

Jarran took a step back in surprise as another figure came into being. A tall dark-haired man stood a short distance from Amelyssan, glaring at her in anger. Jarran recognized the image of Bhaal that he had seen in the other part of the Abyssal plane.

To my most trusted Deathstalker did I entrust the secrets of my resurrection. A foolish mistake.

“One of His priesthood would have to perform the necessary rites to give the dead Lord of Murder back the essence of his slaughtered children.” She smiled cruelly. “And so great Lord Bhaal entrusted that duty to me. As each Child died, I felt the power grow, power that was there to be taken. And I took it!”

Traitorous bitch! You turn your back on your god? I was wrong when I decided that you would not bear one of my children. A brat might have reminded you of your place!

“I was willing. I would have born you a child of might and magnificence, but you were afraid I would try to seize power for the babe. Instead I decided that none were more deserving than I!”

To his surprise, Jarran watched as Bhaal turned cold eyes towards him. You… you are Alianna’s son. She was a priestess of great faith. I should have given her the task.

The bard managed to speak through his suddenly dry mouth. “You corrupted her. She was a good woman, or Gorion wouldn’t have cared for her.”

Bhaal gave a deep chuckle. She corrupted herself, boy. ‘Good women’ do not find their way into my priesthood by accident. She served me well, for I see great power in you. Use it!

“Enough!” Amelyssan said with a snarl. “Begone! We have no need for a dead god!”

The solar said gravely, Go now, Lord Bhaal. Your time here is finished. The image vanished.

Amelyssan laughed as Bhaal’s figure faded away. “Fool! To entrust the power of a god in another’s hands… but there are so many fools in the world. The Five, the Children that followed me to Saradush… it was so easy to lure them to their deaths.”

Jarran glared at her. “And you used me as well.”

“You were perfect, so eager to help. You were almost too helpful. I barely had time to let Yaga Shura into the city before you returned.”

“You slaughtered an entire city?”

“Do not be dense, of course I did! I would easily slay all of Tethyr to achieve my goal!”

As she ranted, Jarran met her eyes. Suddenly the room around him melted away, and he saw a world stained with the blood of innocents. He watched Amelyssan’s followers and Cyricists strive against each other, filled with hatred and a desire to eliminate the opposing church. He felt rather than saw a river of screaming souls, the murdered dead who had been killed in a grisly competition between the two gods to prove who was the most murderous. He saw the other gods anxiously trying to protect their churches and faithful as the two divine beings spiraled out of control.

Jarran blinked hard. At last, he saw his place in the prophecy. If Amelyssan became a goddess, she and Cyric would wreak havoc in every corner of Faerun. He was the only one with the power to prevent the inevitable bloodshed.

“I will be a goddess, and nothing will stand in the way of that,” Amelyssan crowed.

“Except me,” Jarran said softly.

Amelyssan gave a bark of harsh laughter. “You? You are powerful, I will give you that, but you are only one Bhaalspawn. Your sister is too weak to be much of a threat, and the handful who did not come to Saradush are even more feeble than she!”

“That changes nothing.”

“Then you will die. I intend to slay you in any case, for I must have all of Bhaal’s essence. I could not let so much escape my grasp.”

“Many before you have promised my death, and they have all been wrong. You will not succeed.”

“Fool! I will crush you where you stand!” She took a step towards him.

Before Jarran could act the solar snapped, Enough! A battle here will solve nothing. She gave an irritated gesture, and Amelyssan vanished.

The solar turned to him and said in a softer voice, Your course is set, godchild. When you return to your plane, prepare yourself. You will face one last challenge, but then… you must bring down the wall between your plane and the Throne of Blood, where Amelyssan is drawing the essence into herself. The final act of the prophecy awaits.

“Then… then what? If I defeat her, what happens next?”

I cannot answer that, godchild. The future of divine beings is beyond my abilities. I wish you well.

As the party waited impatiently in the hallway, more monks arrived. After a whispered conversation with Illax, they joined the uneasy vigil.

Jaheira began to pace. Sarevok frequently ran his hand over the pommel of his sword while he coldly stared at the monks. Imoen shifted from foot to foot.

At last Illax said, “This cannot continue.” He went to the door of the chamber and listened. “I hear nothing.” He opened the door a small crack, then gasped. “There is no one in there!”

Gaping in surprise, both groups crowded into the room and approached the empty chair. Illax picked up the empty robes and said, “I… I do not understand.”

Anomen ran a gauntleted finger across the chair’s seat and examined the ash. “I fear that Balthazar is no more.”

“He is dead? Then where is his murderer? Where is Jarran?”

Sarevok scowled. “Murderer? Are you blind? Or do you think Jarran convinced him to leave his seat long enough to place that dagger? That Balthazar sat without noticing it?”

Illax stared at the blade for a long moment. “He… he was behaving strangely, but I never suspected…” He straightened and said, “That still does not answer my question. Where is Jarran?”

The companions shared uncomfortable glances. Jaheira said, “He is sometimes… called away. He will return shortly.”

The monk frowned, then said, “With Balthazar gone, I lead the monastery. I respected him, but I did not approve of his obsessions. I understood his fear of being attacked, but that was no reason to abandon the townsfolk. It is time we returned to the old ways.”

At that moment, Jarran appeared. He jumped back in surprise, as did the monks. “What… oh.”

After he recovered from his astonishment, Illax said, “Tell us truly… did Balthazar take his own life?”

Jarran sighed and said, “Yes. I am saddened that he took that course, but… he had his reasons.”

“Then go, and trouble us no more. Amkethran has seen enough strife.”

“Of course. May we search his possessions? I need to see if he had information that might be helpful to me.”

“Take what you will. I must see to dismissing the mercenaries and putting the monastery back in order.” Illax turned away, the moisture in his eyes belying the gruffness of his words.

When the monks had gone, Jaheira gently laid her hand on Jarran’s arm. “There is a grimness in your manner that cannot be wholly ascribed to Balthazar’s death. What troubles you?”

“She is correct, my friend,” Anomen said. “You obviously carry a great weight in your soul.”

Jarran was silent for a long moment. “I have learned… that I am not human. I never was a normal man.”

Imoen stammered, “W-what? Does that mean…” Valygar put his arm around her.

“No, Im, you are fine… or as fine as any Bhaalspawn is. Look, I’d rather talk about this later. Let’s search, and then go.”

After they had finished, they returned to Jarran’s plane. By silent agreement, they went to the common room and sat around the dining table. “All right, Jar,” Imoen said. “Spill it.”

The bard sighed. “I learned that not all Bhaalspawn are alike. Most are what we already thought, mortal vessels for Bhaal’s essence. But twenty of us, the score of the prophecy, were born as half-gods. We carry Bhaal’s essence, but also our own divine power. Bhaal’s plan was that we would increase in strength, so that he would be resurrected even greater than before.”

Valygar said slowly, “We? I take it that you are one of the special Children?”

“Yes.”

Imoen said, “I don’t understand. I mean, we grew up together. I would have noticed!”

Jarran chuckled. “It was Gorion. He worked hard to keep what he called my ‘temper’ under control, but now I see that there was more than normal discipline involved. There are a few times I can remember waking up to hear soft chanting, and realizing that Gorion was in my room. He would tell me that he had heard me having a nightmare. He must have been using magic to keep the divine part of me hidden.” The bard’s face grew thoughtful. “Now that I look back, I’m sure that all of Candlekeep was conspiring to make me believe I was normal. I was raised to think of myself as nothing more than human. I… I still think of myself that way.”

Anomen nodded. “It would seem a reasonable plan. Half-god or no, your power would have been unfocused, unable to express itself in the hands of a small child. It would have needed to mature along with the rest of you, and with careful training could be suppressed, at least for a time.”

Very softly Jaheira said, “That cannot be the entire explanation. Your beard, Jarran.”

“My… oh. I see what you mean.”

“Well, I do not,” Sarevok said in irritation. “What does your beard have to do with anything?”

“When I was Irenicus’ prisoner, he ordered… someone to slice my face. His journal says that as soon as the cuts healed, hair grew over the scars almost overnight. He speculated that my essence was trying to protect me somehow.”

Valygar’s eyebrows rose. “If your power acted on its own then, it might have when you were young. It kept itself hidden so that you would not be exposed.”

Imoen said, “We know it does things without you asking. Look around us, this whole place is here because your essence did what it thought was right for you.”

Jarran stared at the table before him for a long minute, then said, “I am not concerned about the past as much as I am the future. I’m trying to think what I can do to get out of this.”

His companions were silent. At last Sarevok spoke. “I cannot answer your question, brother. At least with Balthazar dead, you no longer need fear your siblings.”

The bard shook himself out of his thoughts. “No other Children, but there is a threat. Melissan is actually a priestess of Bhaal. She was supposed to resurrect him, but instead she intends to steal his power and become a goddess herself. I’m afraid she is determined to have my essence as well.”

Sarevok threw back his head and laughed. “A pretender to our father’s throne? She will rue crossing us!”

“Don’t be overconfident, Sarevok. She has found a way to tap into the collected essence of the dead Children. It will not be an easy fight.”

“No, it will not. But we are no ordinary foes.” He dropped his voice and said, “The Lightbringer will triumph. Of that I am certain.”

#2 Guest_Wyvern_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:11 AM

“Balthazar said that I was a half-god, and I… I know that he was right. I can feel it now, feel the power deep within me. I’ve never been the man that I thought I was. I have lived a false existence all these years. I don’t… I don’t see a way to escape….” He swallowed hard.

There are few things worse than losing the right to choose your path.

Jarran blinked hard. At last, he saw his place in the prophecy. If Amelyssan became a goddess, she and Cyric would wreak havoc in every corner of Faerun. He was the only one with the power to prevent the inevitable bloodshed.

Sad, but true.

Jarran chuckled. “It was Gorion. He worked hard to keep what he called my ‘temper’ under control, but now I see that there was more than normal discipline involved. There are a few times I can remember waking up to hear soft chanting, and realizing that Gorion was in my room. He would tell me that he had heard me having a nightmare. He must have been using magic to keep the divine part of me hidden.” The bard’s face grew thoughtful. “Now that I look back, I’m sure that all of Candlekeep was conspiring to make me believe I was normal. I was raised to think of myself as nothing more than human. I… I still think of myself that way.”

Makes me wonder if Gorion's ghost was telling the truth about having to choose to save Jarran or Sarevok. If he knew Jarran was a half-god when Sarevok was not, Gorion probably never thought of leaving Jarran behind.

“Don’t be overconfident, Sarevok. She has found a way to tap into the collected essence of the dead Children. It will not be an easy fight.”

“No, it will not. But we are no ordinary foes.” He dropped his voice and said, “The Lightbringer will triumph. Of that I am certain.”

Aren't we all? Though I suspect there will be a price to pay for victory.

#3 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:25 AM

There are few things worse than losing the right to choose your path.

Of course, just because he doesn't see a way, doesn't mean there isn't one. :D

Sad, but true.

It won't be an easy task, though.

Makes me wonder if Gorion's ghost was telling the truth about having to choose to save Jarran or Sarevok. If he knew Jarran was a half-god when Sarevok was not, Gorion probably never thought of leaving Jarran behind.

Actually, something quite different happened. Check out chapters 213 and 214 for the full story.

Aren't we all? Though I suspect there will be a price to pay for victory.

Nothing ever comes without a price.

Thanks for commenting!

#4 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:46 AM

Twilight

I wonder what you have meant by the name of the chapter. In Russian fantasy, twilight is a substance that defines whether the mage will become good or evil... did you mean here that Jarran is wandering in the twilight without knowing his destination?

*jumps* Oh. Well, I am writing my own version of Xan's romance at the moment, so every "doomed" is a red flag to me. :D

Balthazar was indeed correct. He told you of Bhaal’s plan, to create a score of divine children who would increase the power given them so that Bhaal would return even stronger than before. You are one of that number. Your foster father kept your power in check, but now there are no constraints upon you. You are at last coming into your own.

He-he, she could add "your own choice", then things would have been easier.

I cannot change the conditions of your birth, godchild. I can only show you the paths that you may follow.

Cryptic, she is! And she never said he had no choice... evil, evil. :D

The solar gestured, and a woman appeared. Gone was the gentle, slightly foolish expression, the soft robes, the helpful demeanor. This woman wore an elaborate feathered headdress and clothing stained with old blood. Her head was tilted back as she looked them over, and she gave them a disdainful smirk.

^_^ Why do most of the villains dress as... as... as Michael Jackson on a bad day?

Jarran took a step back in surprise as another figure came into being. A tall dark-haired man stood a short distance from Amelyssan, glaring at her in anger. Jarran recognized the image of Bhaal that he had seen in the other part of the Abyssal plane.

Really, he should have expected that from Melissan - an existence of Bhaal priestess who wouldn't betray him and wouldn't want power for herself is beyond belief.

Traitorous bitch! You turn your back on your god? I was wrong when I decided that you would not bear one of my children. A brat might have reminded you of your place!

“I was willing. I would have born you a child of might and magnificence, but you were afraid I would try to seize power for the babe. Instead I decided that none were more deserving than I!”

Seize power for the child? How naive can he get? I have no doubts Melissan would butcher her the baby, too, given the chance.

Bhaal gave a deep chuckle. She corrupted herself, boy. ‘Good women’ do not find their way into my priesthood by accident. She served me well, for I see great power in you. Use it!

*looks confused* He knows Jarran's not going to resurrect him, or anything of the sort. So what does he want?

“Do not be dense, of course I did! I would easily slay all of Tethyr to achieve my goal!”

(sigh) She would. They all would. :o

Amelyssan gave a bark of harsh laughter. “You? You are powerful, I will give you that, but you are only one Bhaalspawn. Your sister is too weak to be much of a threat, and the handful who did not come to Saradush are even more feeble than she!”

I wonder if Imoen would be able to give up essences that easily... I never beileved at this scene in the game.

*chuckle*

“Of course. May we search his possessions? I need to see if he had information that might be helpful to me.”

*chuckle* A band of very heavily armed warriors, one of them a half-god, all of them mighty enough to turn the village to dust if they want to, and they're asking him for something? I wonder what would happen if he says "no".

Whoops! So all of Candlekeep knew, and he didn't, even when he came of age? That's pretty unfair... at the age of three, truth is a bit much for him, but at the age of 10, 15, 18? Gorion had done a poor job, it seems. ;)

“When I was Irenicus’ prisoner, he ordered… someone to slice my face. His journal says that as soon as the cuts healed, hair grew over the scars almost overnight. He speculated that my essence was trying to protect me somehow.”

You have grown up, Harry Potter! :lol:

Aren't we all...

#5 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:24 PM

Twilight

I wonder what you have meant by the name of the chapter. In Russian fantasy, twilight is a substance that defines whether the mage will become good or evil... did you mean here that Jarran is wandering in the twilight without knowing his destination?

More a recognition that things are coming to an end. Twilight, here anyway, is usually used to indicate something coming to a close. Twilight is the time when the sun is setting but isn't quite gone, when the day is nearly done, but not completely.

*jumps* Oh. Well, I am writing my own version of Xan's romance at the moment, so every "doomed" is a red flag to me. ;)

Hey, Xan doesn't have sole ownership of the word 'doomed'. :lol:

He-he, she could add "your own choice", then things would have been easier.

But that would be too simple. :D

Cryptic, she is! And she never said he had no choice... evil, evil. ^_^

You don't know in the game, either. It's not fair to reveal things too early.

:o Why do most of the villains dress as... as... as Michael Jackson on a bad day?

*Nobody* dresses worse that Michael Jackson on *any* day.

Really, he should have expected that from Melissan - an existence of Bhaal priestess who wouldn't betray him and wouldn't want power for herself is beyond belief.

Actually, a lot of Bhaalists were (and are) insanely fanatical. Even many of the ones who converted to Cyric's church did it with a begrudging "You'll do for now until we get our *real* god back".

Seize power for the child? How naive can he get? I have no doubts Melissan would butcher her the baby, too, given the chance.

Actually, it's a logical fear. Motherhood changes women, and he was right to wonder if her priorities would change.

*looks confused* He knows Jarran's not going to resurrect him, or anything of the sort. So what does he want?

At this point, revenge. Neither Mel or Jarran is going to bring him back, so he can at least hope for his traitorous priestess to die painfully.

(sigh) She would. They all would. :D

Jarran: Ahem! Not all of us!

I wonder if Imoen would be able to give up essences that easily... I never beileved at this scene in the game.

We'll see. :D

*chuckle*

She could try... and fail.

*chuckle* A band of very heavily armed warriors, one of them a half-god, all of them mighty enough to turn the village to dust if they want to, and they're asking him for something? I wonder what would happen if he says "no".

Hey, they're the good guys, remember?

Whoops! So all of Candlekeep knew, and he didn't, even when he came of age? That's pretty unfair... at the age of three, truth is a bit much for him, but at the age of 10, 15, 18? Gorion had done a poor job, it seems. :(

Er, did you play BG1? Because that's game canon - when the PC starts, he has no idea that he is a Bhaalspawn and why people are trying to kill him. Gorion was trying to protect him by keeping him in the dark as long as possible, but when the time came that it was necessary to tell the PC, he was killed.

You have grown up, Harry Potter! :D

*snerk*

Aren't we all...

Ah, but the road there is rather rocky.

Thanks for commenting!

#6 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:12 PM

Melissan certainly is a villain I didn't like one bit. Greedy, screeching and ranting. In a way it's a good thing - then you won't feel disappointed that she failed :D

#7 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:57 PM

It’s an interesting question, indeed. You’ve got to wonder if returning to the simple life is for a demigod… or, for that matter is a relationship with a ‘mere’ mortal woman. It might not be totally impossible, after all Jaheira is an immensely powerful mortal herself.

Why do all these evil overlords have such ridiculous fashion sense? Sarry had his spikes, Irenicus his leather bondage gear, now Melly with her feathers. Ugh.

“Prophecy! The prattling of a senile old man. Do you expect me to care about Alaundo and his drivel? I have laid my plans, and all has happened as I wished it.”

Only so far, Melissan… that’s a big difference. ^_^

We all know about Bhaal’s extravagant tastes… rabbits, werewolves, dragons, giants… guess Melissan just didn’t have that certain charm. :D

Bhaal gave a deep chuckle. She corrupted herself, boy. ‘Good women’ do not find their way into my priesthood by accident.

That is a good point. Mind you, in ‘Rush’ continuity I did have her to be a good woman, who was changed by the taint of the babe, growing inside her. I figured that since the child and mother are connected during the pregnancy, the taint might have the effect on the mother.

Amelyssan laughed as Bhaal’s figure faded away. “Fool! To entrust the power of a god in another’s hands… but there are so many fools in the world. The Five, the Children that followed me to Saradush… it was so easy to lure them to their deaths.”

One might say that Bhaal’s plan was slightly naïve, but perhaps he just didn’t have many other options.

Remember, Jarran, you only have to kill Amelyssan to prevent that – you don’t have to ascend yourself. :o

I cannot answer that, godchild. The future of divine beings is beyond my abilities. I wish you well.

Annoying! You know, in the moments such as this, I bet the solar really hates her (?) job!

Sarevok scowled. “Murderer? Are you blind? Or do you think Jarran convinced him to leave his seat long enough to place that dagger? That Balthazar sat without noticing it?”

It would certainly make for a quite comical end if he hadn’t noticed a dagger on his seat and killed himself. Somehow, the way he committed the suicide, it was more dignified.

Jarran was silent for a long moment. “I have learned… that I am not human. I never was a normal man.”

It’s certainly a knowledge that takes time to fully comprehend… time they don’t have. Jaheira will probably take it as another sign that he will leave her.

Interesting – I wonder how the divine side of him was manifesting in him as a child, practically.

Very softly Jaheira said, “That cannot be the entire explanation. Your beard, Jarran.”

Yes, it’s horrible, we all know that…

*ducks*

Umm, guys, maybe you should deal with the Ravager first? He’s not a simple opponent, either. :D

Hmm, he probably will, at that… but that alone won’t make it a happy ending. For me, death of any of the companions or Jarran’s ascension would mean more of an unhappy ending – then again, I am fond of sappy endings. ;)

#8 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:07 PM

You know, whatever anyone says, I really wouldn;t put it past you to have Melissan beat Jarran and Co.

Hmmm, theres an idea I just might use.....

Should this not be 'treacherous bitch'?

Anyway, Laters.

#9 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:23 PM

You know, whatever anyone says, I really wouldn;t put it past you to have Melissan beat Jarran and Co.

That would be too cruel. But I think Silrana likes the characters too much and is too Good to let that happen.

#10 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:28 PM

That would be too cruel. But I think Silrana likes the characters too much and is too Good to let that happen.

I don't believe it either. I doubt that anyone who writes a story for... four years(?) now, would have their characters fall at the last hurdle like that. It would not be fitting with the story in which Good triumphs over Evil, either.

#11 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:32 PM

I'd do it. But, then again, I've already killed my Bhaalspawn, before he even reached Yaga Shura.

But no, on reflection, you're right. Silrana wouldn't do that....would she?

#12 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:21 PM

*whistles creepy TV show theme*

Even though she's not as devloped as the other archvillains,I always did like her look....

Woot! Catfight! Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!

To his surprise, Jarran watched as Bhaal turned cold eyes towards him. You… you are Alianna’s son. She was a priestess of great faith. I should have given her the task.

nice!

As she ranted, Jarran met her eyes. Suddenly the room around him melted away, and he saw a world stained with the blood of innocents. He watched Amelyssan’s followers and Cyricists strive against each other, filled with hatred and a desire to eliminate the opposing church. He felt rather than saw a river of screaming souls, the murdered dead who had been killed in a grisly competition between the two gods to prove who was the most murderous. He saw the other gods anxiously trying to protect their churches and faithful as the two divine beings spiraled out of control.

oooo.....

“Take what you will. I must see to dismissing the mercenaries and putting the monastery back in order.” Illax turned away, the moisture in his eyes belying the gruffness of his words.

awww!!!

Imoen said, “I don’t understand. I mean, we grew up together. I would have noticed!”

Awww, poor Immy, kinda left out ^_^

interesting

I had something of a reverse idea for, possibly, Onyx....that Sarevok was bald b/c of some (almost hormonal) side effect of the growing strength of his taint...and so Onyx might find himself bald in ToB :D

Sarevok threw back his head and laughed. “A pretender to our father’s throne? She will rue crossing us!”

The warrior poet. :D

Hehee, you know, that's the name of one of the ultimate swords in one of the Final Fantasy games IIRC (Lightbringer) sweeeeeet..... :o

#13 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:11 PM

Whoa! Duck and cover Daie!

Guys, I'm sorry. I wasn't being entirely serious, but I'm sorry for any offence caused.

I'll think before I write in future.

I'll be leaving now. Laters, one embarrassed and ashamed Daie.

#14 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:58 PM

Melissan certainly is a villain I didn't like one bit. Greedy, screeching and ranting. In a way it's a good thing - then you won't feel disappointed that she failed ;)

Hehehe, yes, I've noticed that nobody ever redeems Mel. ;) Of course, I would find the idea of redeeming a Deathstalker rather ridiculous. But I always cheer when the throne crashes down on her.

#15 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:45 PM

It’s an interesting question, indeed. You’ve got to wonder if returning to the simple life is for a demigod… or, for that matter is a relationship with a ‘mere’ mortal woman. It might not be totally impossible, after all Jaheira is an immensely powerful mortal herself.

Well, since Jarran has always thought of himself as human, then human + some weirdness, he isn't really thinking on those terms. He isn't going to suddenly consider himself too good for Jaheira.

Why do all these evil overlords have such ridiculous fashion sense? Sarry had his spikes, Irenicus his leather bondage gear, now Melly with her feathers. Ugh.

I think it is supposed to be intimidating, in a 'only someone really powerful would have the nerve to dress like that' kind of way.

“Prophecy! The prattling of a senile old man. Do you expect me to care about Alaundo and his drivel? I have laid my plans, and all has happened as I wished it.”

Only so far, Melissan… that’s a big difference. :)

Yep.

We all know about Bhaal’s extravagant tastes… rabbits, werewolves, dragons, giants… guess Melissan just didn’t have that certain charm. ;)

No, his reasons were purely tactical. We've already seen that he isn't picky about his partners.

Bhaal gave a deep chuckle. She corrupted herself, boy. ‘Good women’ do not find their way into my priesthood by accident.

That is a good point. Mind you, in ‘Rush’ continuity I did have her to be a good woman, who was changed by the taint of the babe, growing inside her. I figured that since the child and mother are connected during the pregnancy, the taint might have the effect on the mother.

In AC she was an ex-Harper who had gone insane when her family was killed. She tracked down the killers and tortured them to death.

One might say that Bhaal’s plan was slightly naïve, but perhaps he just didn’t have many other options.

Considering how fanatical Bhaalists generally were, it really wasn't out of line for him to expect loyalty, particularly since she was supposed to be his High Priestess. If her plan had been known, there would have been hordes of assassins-priests ready to take her out.

Remember, Jarran, you only have to kill Amelyssan to prevent that – you don’t have to ascend yourself. :(

Ah, but he doesn't know that yet.

Annoying! You know, in the moments such as this, I bet the solar really hates her (?) job!

You never know. Maybe she knows he has a choice but has a reason not to say anything. Solars are on a whole different level.

It would certainly make for a quite comical end if he hadn’t noticed a dagger on his seat and killed himself. Somehow, the way he committed the suicide, it was more dignified.

That wouldn't be a nice way to go.

It’s certainly a knowledge that takes time to fully comprehend… time they don’t have. Jaheira will probably take it as another sign that he will leave her.

I don't think it has really sunk in.

Interesting – I wonder how the divine side of him was manifesting in him as a child, practically.

Hard to say. But I'm sure his explosive temper scared that crap out of the monks.

Yes, it’s horrible, we all know that…

*ducks*

*smack*

Umm, guys, maybe you should deal with the Ravager first? He’s not a simple opponent, either. :(

They don't know about him yet. They know there will a challenge, but not what.

Hmm, he probably will, at that… but that alone won’t make it a happy ending. For me, death of any of the companions or Jarran’s ascension would mean more of an unhappy ending – then again, I am fond of sappy endings. :D

But I've never promised a happy ending... ;)

#16 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:04 AM

Hmmm, theres an idea I just might use.....

Hehehe, that certainly crossed my mind... you'll have to wait and see if it stuck there. ;)

Should this not be 'treacherous bitch'?

Either would work.

Anyway, Laters.

Thanks for commenting!

#17 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:18 AM

*whistles creepy TV show theme*

:(

Even though she's not as devloped as the other archvillains,I always did like her look....

I always figured the feathers were from some predatory bird.

Woot! Catfight! Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!

Catfight? Where I grew up, that was between two women. Don't insult Bhaal's masculinity, he might... well, I don't know what, but he'd do something. :)

nice!

Thankee.

oooo.....

Two evil nutcase gods fighting over the same portfolio... it wouldn't be pretty.

awww!!!

He isn't heartless. Even though he disagreed with Balthazar, he did consider him a friend.

Awww, poor Immy, kinda left out ;)

:D

interesting

I had something of a reverse idea for, possibly, Onyx....that Sarevok was bald b/c of some (almost hormonal) side effect of the growing strength of his taint...and so Onyx might find himself bald in ToB :)

Hee!

The warrior poet. ;)

*Sarevok glares*

Hehee, you know, that's the name of one of the ultimate swords in one of the Final Fantasy games IIRC (Lightbringer) sweeeeeet..... :(

No, I didn't. I've never played any of the FF games. But hey, it beats Twinkle.

Thanks for commenting!

#18 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:20 AM

Whoa! Duck and cover Daie!

Guys, I'm sorry. I wasn't being entirely serious, but I'm sorry for any offence caused.

I'll think before I write in future.

I'll be leaving now. Laters, one embarrassed and ashamed Daie.

Hey, nothing to worry about. I don't mind people speculating on AC's future... just as long as they don't expect me to confirm or deny anything. You'll find out when Jarran does. ;)

#19 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:26 AM

Ooof.

Lot of weighty stuff in this chapter, huh? But I guess it kinda has to be that way, since Armageddon's just over the next rise, pretty much. Still, there's a lot of it, especially the whole mess where Jarran concludes that Gorion and company were "conspiring" to keep his true nature a secret. You get the feeling from the games that it was a standard thing, keeping Charname's heritage a non-issue for as long as possible, but adding that little bit with the late-night spell-casting and the like is a twist I didn't see coming.

I suppose you did have to find some way to reconcile the idea that Jarran's the most juiced-up in terms of power-level, and yet pretty much nobody knew, even until now... (Shrug)

#20 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:07 AM

Hehehe, yes, I've noticed that nobody ever redeems Mel. ;) Of course, I would find the idea of redeeming a Deathstalker rather ridiculous.

Yeah, even I who am a rather ultimate believer to redemption find that a person like that is so far gone that it is highly unlikely, like Hayaxi in Weyoun's story. If you willingly totally corrupt your spiritual essence, it is the worst scenario for me to imagine what could happen to them to make that dent that is needed for redemption.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com