I won't let you smother it
I won't let you murder it

Our time is running out
And our time is running out
You can't push it underground
We can't stop it screaming out
How did it come to this?

Muse

Jaheira slipped out of her bedchamber, leaving Jarran dozing on the bed. He had told her everything that had passed between him and Cyric, and had decided that a nap would clear his head before facing Balthazar.

The druid stood for a moment, her back against the door. Jarran had not been the only one disturbed by his confrontation. It was one thing to know that the bard had come to the attention of the gods, and quite another to have one come to visit.

She walked down the hallway, deep in thought, until she reached the common room. Anomen and Sarevok were having a quiet conversation near the fireplace, and she did not wish to disturb them. Jaheira continued on into the cavern, hoping for a bit of quiet time in the garden room.

Her desire was thwarted, for when she reached the tunnel leading to the room of plants and water, Jaheira heard Imoen’s laugh and the low rumble of Valygar’s voice. She turned away with a frown.

Jaheira gave herself a mental shake. How many times had she and Jarran enjoyed splashing in the pools? She could hardly blame the others for taking advantage of the same amusements. Still, she would have liked to think her thoughts in surroundings that at least seemed natural, even if they were not.

With barely a conscious intention, her feet took her to the room they had so recently vacated. Jaheira shuddered at the huge statue heads that had appeared after they had destroyed Cyric’s minions. Why had Jarran’s mind conjured such disturbing decorations for this room? Perhaps they represented the watchful eyes of those who followed the bard’s progress towards the divine.

As Jaheira wandered aimlessly around the room, she grasped the locket that hung from a chain around her neck. She opened it to stare at the two faces within.

Brainless fool, smiling as though the future was a smooth road before your feet. Falling in love with a god, what were you thinking? Did you imagine, even for a moment, that you would find yourself spending your days in your lover’s godly realm? That you would see him do things that no mortal man could hope to accomplish?

She closed the locket with a snap. Jaheira knew, deep in her heart, what the future held. Jarran had been born to be a god, to wield divine forces beyond imagining. She could only blame herself for the pain that was to come.

“Jar…”

“Don’t start, Im, just don’t start.”

With a smirk, Sarevok said, “Cyric must be reassured. How much of a threat can you be when you cannot control your own travel?”

“I concentrated on Amkethran, really I did. I’m sorry that we are back at the entrance to Sendai’s stronghold, but we will just have to walk.”

Anomen sighed. “Through the desert. I had hoped we were finished with marches through sand.”

“Only the last part will be desert. Let’s at least enjoy the woods while we can.”

They walked for a time through the forest, the trees gradually growing farther apart and the ground becoming grassier. At last they reached the edge of the woods, where the forest gave way to rough rocks and scrub.

Under one of the last large trees, a man rested in the shade. His bright red robes and large hat were unmistakable. He seemed to be studying the dirt very intently.

“Elminster?” Imoen squealed. “Is that you?”

“Elminster?” Sarevok said with a frown.

The wizard looked up at them and yawned. “Ah, there ye be. I was wondering if a nap was in order, but I found a way to pass the time.” He motioned towards the ground.

Jarran leaned over to see what had attracted the mage’s attention. “You are watching the ants?”

“Aye, and entertaining creatures they are. Of course, we are much larger and more intelligent than they. We could squash them… if ye wished.”

Jarran stared at the wizard, who met his gaze levelly. “Why would I want to do that? The ants aren’t hurting anyone.”

“True, lad, true. But there are many who would stomp them just for the satisfaction. To prove how mighty they are, ye see.”

“Bah!” Sarevok said with a snort. “Childishness.”

“But one that many are prone to. And how is a second life faring for ye, my friend?”

“Well enough. What do you care? I have never heard of the great Elminster doing more than dabble in the affairs of the real world.”

“Real world? The world ye see is real and to the ants their world is real enough. Going about their business, taking food back to their fellows… until a great boot crashes down upon them. The same can happen to men, when the gods stir.”

“Perhaps so, but Sarevok makes a valid point. Why are you here?” Jaheira said sharply.

“Why, to see all thy shining faces, of course. By the by, Jaheira, Bernard sends his best wishes.” Elminster’s face grew serious as he turned to face Jarran again. “I am also here to confess that I did not listen to Gorion as closely as I should. If I had known his assessment of thy power was correct, I would have done more than just warn ye about thy destiny, I think.”

Valygar raised an eyebrow. “What could you have done? Killed him before he could fulfill that destiny?”

Elminster scowled. “Do not think there were not those who would have thought that a fine idea! Especially after… Have ye any idea of the havoc the Bhaalspawn have caused up and down the Coast? The havoc ye've caused personally, Jarran? No, I don't suppose ye have.”

Jarran said dryly, “I’ve been a little busy trying to stay alive.”

“We Harpers have been working tirelessly for weeks now to prevent the panic from reaching a boiling point. Not a simple task, though in a sad way, Saradush helped our effort. Many folk believe that the slaughter of Bhaalspawn there ended most of the threat.”

Anomen said, “I do not understand. Even after Saradush, several very powerful Children were commanding armies.”

“Ah, but people could see that threat as something far away. Ye must understand, Bhaalspawn had become creatures to threaten unruly children with. They might be anyone, ye see. But back to the business at hand. As I understand it, Jarran, thy quest is nearly at an end, correct?”

Jarran sighed. “I certainly hope so.”

“I have to leave again soon, so I cannot help ye much. But I can help ye a little, whether ye like it or not. It is important that this all ends, soon, but that doesn't mean I won't lift a finger over it.”

“You mean you will actually help me? How?”

“Balthazar has used powerful magic to seal his monastery. If ye intend to face him, ye will have to find a way to get inside. I happen to know just the man for the job.”

“Who?”

“Saemon Havarian. I know it is not a pleasant thought, to contemplate trusting that pirate, but it is the quickest path. Still, I doubt even he is foolish enough to cross such a powerful person.”

“Powerful? I don’t feel very powerful at the moment.”

Elminster chuckled. “No need to be bashful. There are only a handful of folks who would be willing to take ye on at this point. Not even I would dare... and I've had considerable time to practice. Not to mention that I do not have five such companions to stand with me. Now,” he said as he stood and brushed off his robes, “I must go. From this point on, attaining thy destiny is completely thine own affair. I wish ye well.”

To Jarran’s surprise, Elminster patted him on the shoulder before striding away through the trees.

As they watched the wizard’s vanishing figure, Imoen said softly, “Jar, do you think we will ever be seen as… just us? Not monsters? If people are happy that so many Bhaalspawn were killed in Saradush….”

“Frightened people want hope, Im. I cannot really blame them for thinking that the fewer of us the better, not after seeing and hearing how much damage has been done.”

“But what happens when all this is over… if it ever is?”

“I don’t have any answers, Im. I wish I did, but I just don’t.”

The party approached the gates of the monastery, robes draped over their normal gear to disguise their identities.

Under his breath Anomen muttered, “We should have found another way. I will never trust this pirate.”

Saemon hissed, “The pirate has long ears, knight, and so do the guards, so keep mum.”

After a quick exchange of passwords, the companions entered the monastery. Saemon said in a low voice, “Balthazar should be this way. They say he has locked himself in his chambers.”

The group moved quickly up a corridor, only to find their way blocked by a group of mercenaries led by a monk. The monk gave Saemon a joyless smile and said, “Ah, Saemon, you have done well, delivering the Bhaalspawn as you promised. I assume they have been drugged. We do not want any trouble, after all.”

Saemon laughed. “They are here, but you do not think this one would be foolish enough to give me the chance to drug him, do you?”

Jarran said with a growl, “Another betrayal? Do you think I wasn’t expecting it?”

“Hold on, lad. Balthazar wants to see you, you want to see him… I just arranged the meeting. But this way, you are here with a clear head.”

The monk backed away. “I knew Balthazar was a fool to trust you, Saemon!” Both groups readied weapons.

Before anyone could act, a voice rang out from an open doorway. “Stop!” At the sound of Balthazar’s voice, the monk and his mercenaries hesitated. “Illax, bring Jarran to me. Alone.”

The monk looked confused, but said, “I will obey, Master Balthazar.”

Sarevok frowned. “You cannot go alone, brother.”

Jarran said, “I’ll go. He wants to talk, I’m willing to listen.” He followed the monk into the room.

The room was a large audience chamber, and Balthazar was seated in a large ornate chair. His face was grave, as if he was a king on his throne. Balthazar nodded a greeting to Jarran. “I am pleased that you will speak with me. One moment, please.” He turned to the monk. “Illax, go to the treasury room. There is enough gold there for the wages of the mercenaries, as well as a small bonus. Pay them and send them away. If they protest, remind them that they have spent months earning gold with no real duties.”

“I do not understand.”

“I no longer have need of them. There are no armies that will march on Amkethran, not now. And… you have served me well. You have my thanks. Go, Illax.”

The monk left the room, his face twisted in concern. As soon as the door closed, Jarran said, “Well, I am here. You know why I have come.”

Balthazar smiled calmly. “I can only assume that while you were battling Sendai and Abazigal, you discovered that I am one of the Five. Correct?”

“Yes. I must be honest… you did not strike me as the sort of man who would try to resurrect Bhaal. Why, Balthazar?”

“Your instinct serves you well. I have never intended to see our dead and unlamented father brought back from the Astral realm.”

“Then I am even more confused. Why join with the Five if you did not share their goals?”

“I will tell you all… brother. Yes, brother, since I have seen more of your soul than you know. Melissan approached me with dreams of power and glory, riches that could be mine if I joined her effort to revive Bhaal. And yes, I joined, but I was the spy in their midst. I intended to thwart them as best I could, and if possible to turn them on each other.”

“Wait… Melissan brought the Five together? Why would she do that?”

“That is one mystery I could not solve. She is not a Child herself, but she knew much. But in the end, I realized that she was plotting our deaths as enthusiastically as we were planning each other’s. I took her into custody, but she escaped before I could seal the monastery.”

Jarran frowned. “So the both of you used me? Used me to kill the others for you?”

“Melissan manipulated you, yes. For myself, I have simply tried to avoid being your next goal. I have succeeded… until now.”

“So where does this leave us?”

“Before we discuss that, I must tell you something of our nature. Do not ask me how I came by this information, I doubt that you would believe me. Some of us, Jarran… some of us are truly siblings. We are not merely vessels for our father’s power, we are true godchildren. Half-gods, with divine strength of our own. You and I… we are not human, brother.”

“Not… human? You mean… I never was?”

“That is correct. We were to grow in power, so that upon our deaths Bhaal would inherit our added strength. But the prophecies speak of more than the score of mortal progeny that would be born. They spoke of the one child who would rise above the rest and carve their own path. I was once convinced that I was that Child. I planned to ensure the deaths of all other Bhaalspawn and then, when I was sure I was the last, I would end my pitiful existence.”

“And now?”

“Now,” Balthazar said softly, “I have seen that you are the Child of Alaundo’s prophecy. You alone have had the strength to overcome your birth. I… my soul is stained by murder, and I have been made to see that I cannot claim to be innocent of the blood I have spilled.”

“Prophecy or not, Melissan is obviously a threat to us. Will you help me find her and discover the truth?”

“I am afraid not, brother.” Balthazar met Jarran’s eyes. “My plan was wise in one respect. It is necessary that the evil Children be slain, to remove their taint from this world. I… I must be true to my beliefs. Evil must be destroyed. Farewell, Jarran. May the gods welcome you with open arms.”

Balthazar forcefully pushed himself backwards, slamming his spine against the back of the chair. He sighed and closed his eyes.

Jarran’s mouth fell open in surprise and horror as Balthazar’s body dissolved into dust. The golden light of Balthazar’s essence seemed to move through him like a divine wind, leaving the bard slightly dizzy.

When the dust and light cleared, Balthazar’s robes seemed to be hanging in the air. Jarran reached forward and gave them a tug. The garments fell to the floor, revealing a dagger that had had its handle jammed into the back of the chair. A dagger that had been carefully placed so that its point was perfectly aligned with Balthazar’s heart.

#2 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 02 May 2005 - 07:55 PM

AHA! You choose my favourite song! Good stuff. I love Muse.

Hmm, so Jarran gets closer, and doesn't even have to kill Balthazar?
I really thought you were going to redeem him too. You are full of surprises.

You made Elminster likeable too, and that is a difficult feat.

Anyway, I have to be off. Well done. Laters

Daie

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:36 PM

As Jaheira wandered aimlessly around the room, she grasped the locket that hung from a chain around her neck. She opened it to stare at the two faces within.

Brainless fool, smiling as though the future was a smooth road before your feet. Falling in love with a god, what were you thinking? Did you imagine, even for a moment, that you would find yourself spending your days in your lover’s godly realm? That you would see him do things that no mortal man could hope to accomplish?

She’s really in a bad way – at least, whatever is to come, will end this state of constant worry and being unsure. :)

She closed the locket with a snap. Jaheira knew, deep in her heart, what the future held. Jarran had been born to be a god, to wield divine forces beyond imagining. She could only blame herself for the pain that was to come.

Awww… :wink: Well, I certainly hope you’ll prove her wrong. She doesn’t deserve more pain.

“I concentrated on Amkethran, really I did. I’m sorry that we are back at the entrance to Sendai’s stronghold, but we will just have to walk.”

I know I once had my Imoen remark to Theo that the gods have given him some sort of faulty, second grade pocket plane. :(

Under one of the last large trees, a man rested in the shade. His bright red robes and large hat were unmistakable. He seemed to be studying the dirt very intently.

I’ve seen old men do that. :twisted:

“Perhaps so, but Sarevok makes a valid point. Why are you here?” Jaheira said sharply.

Ooh, she’s not in the mood of taking all this talking around in circles.

Elminster scowled. “Do not think there were not those who would have thought that a fine idea! Especially after… Have ye any idea of the havoc the Bhaalspawn have caused up and down the Coast? The havoc ye've caused personally, Jarran? No, I don't suppose ye have.”

I got pretty annoyed by that line, I’m afraid – for one thing, I know that my Good Bhaalspawn were at least trying to contain the havoc that the others tried to stir… and if it wasn’t for our Bhaalspawn, than havoc would have been much bloodier.

I take it that he’s not exactly overly impressed by the subtle accusation either. :D

“I have to leave again soon, so I cannot help ye much. But I can help ye a little, whether ye like it or not. It is important that this all ends, soon, but that doesn't mean I won't lift a finger over it.”

Everyone: Elminster? Giving ‘actual’ help instead of cryptic advice? Whoa!!! ;)

To Jarran’s surprise, Elminster patted him on the shoulder before striding away through the trees.

Well, your version of him was kind of not-so-annoying… so well done. ;)

Saemon laughed. “They are here, but you do not think this one would be foolish enough to give me the chance to drug him, do you?”

Well, they certainly aren’t stupid enough to fall for the same trick twice… ;)

Jarran said, “I’ll go. He wants to talk, I’m willing to listen.” He followed the monk into the room.

Oh dear… to redeem or to not redeem…

“Before we discuss that, I must tell you something of our nature. Do not ask me how I came by this information, I doubt that you would believe me. Some of us, Jarran… some of us are truly siblings. We are not merely vessels for our father’s power, we are true godchildren. Half-gods, with divine strength of our own. You and I… we are not human, brother.”

Hmm. I wonder what that means practically.

Balthazar forcefully pushed himself backwards, slamming his spine against the back of the chair. He sighed and closed his eyes.

Jarran’s mouth fell open in surprise and horror and Balthazar’s body dissolved into dust. The golden light of Balthazar’s essence seemed to move through him like a divine wind, leaving the bard slightly dizzy.

When the dust and light cleared, Balthazar’s robes seemed to be hanging in the air. Jarran reached forward and gave them a tug. The garments fell to the floor, revealing a dagger that had had its handle jammed into the back of the chair. A dagger that had been carefully placed so that its point was perfectly aligned with Balthazar’s heart.

I admit, I prefer this outcome. Personally, I am not too fond of the last-minute addition to the party, from the plot development point of view. Of course, I don't know your reasons for deciding on this twist - but I liked it. :)

#4 Arcalian

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:45 AM

*opens his mouth, closes it again*

No, I'm not going to ask. I would neither understand nor like the answer.

A lesson I learned a long time ago intelectually, I have to keep learning over and over again viscerally. There is no point in arguing with someone if they've already made up their mind. Some people can; some people are charismatic spin doctors of persuasion. I am not. I am bluntly honest. To a fault. I am a bad liar. And I can't...I just can't.

It was fun to read your story Silrana. It really was. But the false redemption of Balthazaar only to end in suicide, coupled with Jaheria's despair, so soon after the business with Anomen....no. I give up. I tap out. I can't keep dealing with this.

Bye.
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#5 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:21 AM

and had decided that a nap would clear his head before facing Balthazar.

I love naps.

Yeah... haven't had time to really consider the moral implications of eight thousand assassins trying to murder me in my bed. But as soon as I get a free minute, I'll get right on that. :twisted:

I realized that she was plotting our deaths as enthusiastically as we were planning each other’s.

More so. She's an ambitious girl! :(

Ah, hell...

I think I've mentioned before that I actually kinda like Balthazar, and I think your version drew more sympathy than even the game version. So this is just... sad.

:wink:

#6 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 03 May 2005 - 01:48 PM

AHA! You choose my favourite song! Good stuff. I love Muse.

I like that song, and it seemed to fit the mood well.

Hmm, so Jarran gets closer, and doesn't even have to kill Balthazar?
I really thought you were going to redeem him too. You are full of surprises.

It all depends on how you define redemption.

You made Elminster likeable too, and that is a difficult feat.

Elminster isn't that bad a guy, he's just a bit... different.

Anyway, I have to be off. Well done. Laters

Daie

*waves* Thanks for commenting!

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:01 PM

She’s really in a bad way – at least, whatever is to come, will end this state of constant worry and being unsure. :(

It will end the worry, but she doesn't know if her pain will end or is just beginning.

Awww… :( Well, I certainly hope you’ll prove her wrong. She doesn’t deserve more pain.

We shall see. But I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. :twisted:

I know I once had my Imoen remark to Theo that the gods have given him some sort of faulty, second grade pocket plane. :D

Jarran: It isn't my fault my essence thinks it knows better!

I’ve seen old men do that. :wink:

Hehehe, I've been known to watch ants myself. I'd have an ant farm, but my husband won't allow one in the house.

Ooh, she’s not in the mood of taking all this talking around in circles.

As we've just seen, she's a bit on edge.

I got pretty annoyed by that line, I’m afraid – for one thing, I know that my Good Bhaalspawn were at least trying to contain the havoc that the others tried to stir… and if it wasn’t for our Bhaalspawn, than havoc would have been much bloodier.

Well, I can understand it for two reasons. One is that the game designers had a word count limit, so they tried to come up with dialogues that fit all kinds of PCs so they didn't have to have multiple dialogues. Secondly, just the rumors about what our characters are doing would stir things up.

I take it that he’s not exactly overly impressed by the subtle accusation either. ;)

He's just being blunt.

Everyone: Elminster? Giving ‘actual’ help instead of cryptic advice? Whoa!!! ;)

That should show you how important Elminster thinks this is.

Well, your version of him was kind of not-so-annoying… so well done. :)

Thankee.

Well, they certainly aren’t stupid enough to fall for the same trick twice… ;)

Like they'd be dumb enough to eat or drink with him? Right!

Oh dear… to redeem or to not redeem…

We shall see.

Hmm. I wonder what that means practically.

I figured it was an explaination of why some Children were so far above the others. The essence alone didn't seem enough.

I admit, I prefer this outcome. Personally, I am not too fond of the last-minute addition to the party, from the plot development point of view. Of course, I don't know your reasons for deciding on this twist - but I liked it. :)

I just do what the characters tell me to. I'm glad you liked it. :D

#8 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:22 PM

*opens his mouth, closes it again*

No, I'm not going to ask. I would neither understand nor like the answer.

Depends on the question.

A lesson I learned a long time ago intelectually, I have to keep learning over and over again viscerally. There is no point in arguing with someone if they've already made up their mind. Some people can; some people are charismatic spin doctors of persuasion. I am not. I am bluntly honest. To a fault. I am a bad liar. And I can't...I just can't.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean that how AC will end won't change, that's true. The ending was written literally years ago.

It was fun to read your story Silrana. It really was. But the false redemption of Balthazaar only to end in suicide, coupled with Jaheria's despair, so soon after the business with Anomen....no. I give up. I tap out. I can't keep dealing with this.

Bye.

I am very sorry if you feel that you cannot read AC any longer. And I suppose the fact that you care so much about the characters is a compliment to my writing. But the story is what it is.

All through A Cappella, I have constantly worked at bringing realism to the story. It is sometimes harsh and brutal, but it is real. Take a look, for instance, at Lord of the Rings (and please, nobody think for a second that I am comparing AC to LotR).

Boromir dies before getting far. Theoden falls in battle, after waking from insanity to find out that his only child has died. Denethor loses his mind and almost murders his son. At the end, the Elves have lost their power and must leave the world they helped save. Frodo, the person who had accepted the burden of the Ring, is a broken person who cannot enjoy the fruits of his efforts.

The experiences covered in the game are epic. A group of people cannot go through such a course of events and all end up skipping through a field of flowers. And I will be quite frank. There are more painful events in the future. Not everyone gets a 'happily ever after'. But in the end, the story will have been told.

All fantasy fiction is essentially about the concept of power; great fantasy fiction is about people who find it at great cost or lose it tragically; mediocre fantasy fiction is about people who have it and never lose it but simply wield it. - Stephen King

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:28 PM

and had decided that a nap would clear his head before facing Balthazar.

I love naps.

*sigh* I could use one.

Yeah... haven't had time to really consider the moral implications of eight thousand assassins trying to murder me in my bed. But as soon as I get a free minute, I'll get right on that. :twisted:

The poor PCs, they have no idea how far-reaching the whole thing is.

I realized that she was plotting our deaths as enthusiastically as we were planning each other’s.

More so. She's an ambitious girl! :(

Very!

Ah, hell...
I think I've mentioned before that I actually kinda like Balthazar, and I think your version drew more sympathy than even the game version. So this is just... sad.

:wink:

In the end, Balthazar followed his own path. Over time, he had become a fatalist, convinced that things could only end in his death. And in his own mind, he was simply carrying out the sentence for a murderer.

#10 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:42 PM

AC279-Time Is Running Out

I wonder if you'll make it to Chapter 300... no, probably not. But I don't think next chapter is the last one, either. Ravager, final battle, choices, tears... Still, it's drawing to a close... a bit sad, that.

The druid stood for a moment, her back against the door. Jarran had not been the only one disturbed by his confrontation. It was one thing to know that the bard had come to the attention of the gods, and quite another to have one come to visit.

Indeed. Though Cyric proved to be a friendly, mostly harmless sort of guy. ;)

Her desire was thwarted, for when she reached the tunnel leading to the room of plants and water, Jaheira heard Imoen’s laugh and the low rumble of Valygar’s voice. She turned away with a frown.

*a choir of Valygar fans* Grrrrrr....

Now I firmly believe Jarran would ascend... though not without twists. :roll:

“Elminster?” Imoen squealed. “Is that you?”

“Elminster?” Sarevok said with a frown.

The wizard looked up at them and yawned. “Ah, there ye be. I was wondering if a nap was in order, but I found a way to pass the time.” He motioned towards the ground.

Awww... *snicker* I loved this detail. By the way, did you repeat 'nap' in Jarran's nap and Elminster's nap on purpose?

“True, lad, true. But there are many who would stomp them just for the satisfaction. To prove how mighty they are, ye see.”

*rubs her forehead* Where was it from? "You need not fear the strong ones, for they have no interest in our squabbles; but fear the weaker ones, for they will mingle you with dust simply because they can." Poor translation, but your ants-lives analogy reminded me of this. Ah, that was Max Frei, another fantasy writer.

*snicker* I've always loved this "whether you want to or not" sort of line.

Elminster chuckled. “No need to be bashful. There are only a handful of folks who would be willing to take ye on at this point. Not even I would dare... and I've had considerable time to practice. Not to mention that I do not have five such companions to stand with me. Now,” he said as he stood and brushed off his robes, “I must go. From this point on, attaining thy destiny is completely thine own affair. I wish ye well.”

For me, that was quite in character. Very Elminster-like Elminster. Though with an Eeeevil Bhaalspawn he would probably behave a bit differently, less chatty and more grim.

Head up, Immy, your scribe has. ;)

Before anyone could act, a voice rang out from an open doorway. “Stop!” At the sound of Balthazar’s voice, the monk and his mercenaries hesitated. “Illax, bring Jarran to me. Alone.”

Whoops! Yes, another fight would be a bit boring. ;)

The room was a large audience chamber, and Balthazar was seated in a large ornate chair. His face was grave, as if he was a king on his throne. Balthazar nodded a greeting to Jarran. “I am pleased that you will speak with me. One moment, please.” He turned to the monk. “Illax, go to the treasury room. There is enough gold there for the wages of the mercenaries, as well as a small bonus. Pay them and send them away. If they protest, remind them that they have spent months earning gold with no real duties.”

Ah, so no +5 short bow for little Imoen? ;)

“I will tell you all… brother. Yes, brother, since I have seen more of your soul than you know. Melissan approached me with dreams of power and glory, riches that could be mine if I joined her effort to revive Bhaal. And yes, I joined, but I was the spy in their midst. I intended to thwart them as best I could, and if possible to turn them on each other.”

But instead, you just sat at the monastery doing nothing... It's not as he had really accomplished anything. *shrug*

“That is correct. We were to grow in power, so that upon our deaths Bhaal would inherit our added strength. But the prophecies speak of more than the score of mortal progeny that would be born. They spoke of the one child who would rise above the rest and carve their own path. I was once convinced that I was that Child. I planned to ensure the deaths of all other Bhaalspawn and then, when I was sure I was the last, I would end my pitiful existence.”

That's an interesting approach, but wouldn't Gorion and Elminster feel it? Elminster probably would, with his power, no?

I didn't quite catch what exactly it means, not being human. Jarran enjoyed the simple pleasures and such, got wounded like a mortal man... so what is this special thing that separates him from humankind?

“I am afraid not, brother.” Balthazar met Jarran’s eyes. “My plan was wise in one respect. It is necessary that the evil Children be slain, to remove their taint from this world. I… I must be true to my beliefs. Evil must be destroyed. Farewell, Jarran. May the gods welcome you with open arms.”

Well, I didn't have any sympathy or antipathy for him in your story, so for me it's just another death.

#11 Arcalian

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:51 PM

I guess I'm mediocre then. But if this is excellence, then I prefer mediocrity. By far. Best of luck to you.
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#12 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:12 AM

AC279-Time Is Running Out

I wonder if you'll make it to Chapter 300... no, probably not. But I don't think next chapter is the last one, either. Ravager, final battle, choices, tears... Still, it's drawing to a close... a bit sad, that.

Actually, it will go past 300 easily. There are a number of chapters that will cover the post-game period to set them up for the future.

Indeed. Though Cyric proved to be a friendly, mostly harmless sort of guy. ;)

That was only a mask, I assure you.

*a choir of Valygar fans* Grrrrrr....

*snicker*

Now I firmly believe Jarran would ascend... though not without twists. :roll:

We shall see.

Awww... *snicker* I loved this detail. By the way, did you repeat 'nap' in Jarran's nap and Elminster's nap on purpose?

Not exactly on purpose. I just thought it would be funny.

*rubs her forehead* Where was it from? "You need not fear the strong ones, for they have no interest in our squabbles; but fear the weaker ones, for they will mingle you with dust simply because they can." Poor translation, but your ants-lives analogy reminded me of this. Ah, that was Max Frei, another fantasy writer.

Sounds very appropriate.

*snicker* I've always loved this "whether you want to or not" sort of line.

I enjoyed it, too. :)

For me, that was quite in character. Very Elminster-like Elminster. Though with an Eeeevil Bhaalspawn he would probably behave a bit differently, less chatty and more grim.

Thankee.

Head up, Immy, your scribe has. ;)

Yep. :)

Whoops! Yes, another fight would be a bit boring. ;)

It makes a change. :)

Ah, so no +5 short bow for little Imoen? :)

Hehehe, that's for later.

But instead, you just sat at the monastery doing nothing... It's not as he had really accomplished anything. *shrug*

Oh, he had his people working for him. Remember the tortured spy in Balthazar's lair?

That's an interesting approach, but wouldn't Gorion and Elminster feel it? Elminster probably would, with his power, no?

In an earlier chapter, it mentioned that Gorion was using magic to keep Jarran's power under control, so he was very aware of how powerful Jarran was. As Elminster admitted, he didn't listen to Gorion closely enough. And while El is very powerful, he isn't all-knowing... much as he'd like people to think he was. ;)

I didn't quite catch what exactly it means, not being human. Jarran enjoyed the simple pleasures and such, got wounded like a mortal man... so what is this special thing that separates him from humankind?

As he grew up, Gorion kept him 'under wraps'. Now he has been manifesting the power that was always there, lying dormant.

Well, I didn't have any sympathy or antipathy for him in your story, so for me it's just another death.

But one that has its place.

Thanks for commenting!

#13 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:28 AM

I guess I'm mediocre then. But if this is excellence, then I prefer mediocrity. By far. Best of luck to you.

Now Arcalian, I never meant to imply that you or your work are mediocre. I was just quoting my philosophy to demonstrate that in epic fantasy, which is the style I am shooting for, tragedy has its place. Tragedy and comedy, the two sides of the mask, are a part of life.

If you are upset that people die, I can't help that. If you are angry at the possibility that Jarran might ascend, I can't help that, though I would remind you that we know that the solar gives the PC a choice, but Jarran and the others do not. They are living the story without the benefit of game knowledge.

The characters can't say 'hey everything will be fine, Jarran will just say no'. Jaheira doesn't know that Jarran will have a choice, so she is mourning what she sees as the inevitable. Jarran is worried and scared, because he thinks he may be trapped in a destiny he didn't ask for. To have the characters behave in any other way would be an injustice to the integrity of the story.

#14 Arcalian

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:16 AM

"It tore me apart. But I learned an important lesson. You can't count on anyone." --Syndrome, The Incredibles

I didn't think you were accusing me of that. If I did, my reply would've been much more vitriolic, and private message as well.

But that philosophy, expressed by Stephen King (whom I lost all respect for when he had such a lame cop out ending to Dark Tower), that you embrace at least for the purposes of your story, I reject. Real life has more than enough tragedy than required. I came to fantasy to escape it, not wallow in it further than real life requires. If it is "medocrity" not to follow that path, I gladly embrace mediocrity. Or to put it another way, if such is immaturity, then I'm Peter Pan flying through the air. I may not always choose light over darkness; Adrian is, after all, very dark indeed. But I always choose triumph over tragedy. It is what I do.

The BG-SOA-TOB storyline has, to my mind, more than enough tragedy built in without helping it along. I've put my characters through what I needed to, but no more. And I hated even that much. The closest I've ever come to doing otherwise was an Imoen one-shot several quizzes back. And even now that story leaves a bad taste in my mouth. In the story Blue Wizard that I did, my character experienced his origin-defining loss early, and moved on from it as quickly as possible. Likewise the Corrupt Order of Radiant Heart I've created has been purged and will ultimately be reedemed and improved by Keldorn and Mazzy. In my current Bhodi-centric storyline in the quiz, Imoen rejected the vampiric temptation. All of which is to say, I understand there is a necccesary amount of suffering that has to happen. But I keep it at a minimum, by design. That is my philosophy.

And as I said before, I don't expect you to agree or change your story. My mentioning of of not being able to convince people was not random or incidental. It is something I've experienced again and again. If I thought I would change your mind, I would keep reading and plead with you. I know I can't, so I won't. Even if you hadn't written it all out in advance. You've got better things to do than listen to me go "nonono please no!" for however many posts of AC are left, and I have better things to do than expend energy in a futile attempt to get you to change your mind. That is why I must leave your story behind.

This is my absolute last word on the matter. Good luck in all your endeavors.

"There must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine." --William Hartnell, the First Doctor, Doctor Who[/i]

#15 Guest_RickTaylor_*

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:18 AM

Hi Silrana!

I’m still enjoying A Capella. You’re well beyond where I made it in Throne of Bhaal, so I don’t always know which parts are yours and which come from the game.

I thought you convincingly portrayed Jaheira’s response to recent events. I wish she would just talk with someone about it; but she wouldn’t really be Jaheira then. One of the things I’ve liked best about the last ten chapters or so is the natural way Jarran has been getting more and more godlike; it’s not just that he’s more powerful (though he is powerful enough that Elminster said he wouldn’t dare attack him), but the content and the quality of his experiences and those of his companions are slowly taking on mythic dimensions. In this context, Jaheira’s fear she’s going to lose him seems completely natural; her determination to say nothing and take it all on herself seems very Jahiera.

I liked the end of the Balthazar story arc. It was very sad, but given the way you’d portrayed him and the fact that he’d already killed so many, I don’t see how it could have ended any other way. Still, it did feel like redemption of a sort. I thought his last speech to Jarran was very well done, especially where he says “I have been made to see that I cannot claim to be innocent of the blood I have spilled.” The description of his death, “the golden light of Balthazar’s essence seemed to move through him like a divine wind,” made me think at least his spirit was no longer in thrall to Bhaal. It was certainly a very different end than Sendai’s. May the gods be merciful.

I didn’t like the first few lines of Elminster criticizing Jarran; it didn’t seem fair. Sure there’s a lot of strife due to the Bhaalspawn, but that doesn’t seem like Jarran’s fault. But I warmed to him when he actually offered to help. I thought the game Elminster was annoying, because he never did much, and his appearances seemed unmotivated (except perhaps to impress the players with his celebrity status). I appreciated him more here where he actually did something, and his offhand humility and sense of humor when he intimated Jarran was much more powerful than him was disarming. The clap on the shoulder was a nice touch.

Good story!

--Rick

#16 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:12 AM

But that philosophy, expressed by Stephen King (whom I lost all respect for when he had such a lame cop out ending to Dark Tower), that you embrace at least for the purposes of your story, I reject. Real life has more than enough tragedy than required. I came to fantasy to escape it, not wallow in it further than real life requires. If it is "medocrity" not to follow that path, I gladly embrace mediocrity. Or to put it another way, if such is immaturity, then I'm Peter Pan flying through the air. I may not always choose light over darkness; Adrian is, after all, very dark indeed. But I always choose triumph over tragedy. It is what I do.

I haven't read a lot of his later stuff. But his works about the craft of writing are very interesting. Danse Macabre is the source of the quote I used.

And as I said before, I don't expect you to agree or change your story. My mentioning of of not being able to convince people was not random or incidental. It is something I've experienced again and again. If I thought I would change your mind, I would keep reading and plead with you. I know I can't, so I won't. Even if you hadn't written it all out in advance. You've got better things to do than listen to me go "nonono please no!" for however many posts of AC are left, and I have better things to do than expend energy in a futile attempt to get you to change your mind. That is why I must leave your story behind.

I can understand that you don't like the tragic elements. Everyone likes different things, and I'm certainly not going to try to convince you that you should like AC. But it seems to me that you believe you can read my mind. Yes, things are already decided. But how do you know what that decision is?

I can't promise sunshine from now on. There will be more tragedy, but joy as well. Some characters find themselves in places they never expected to be, both good and bad. But everything that happens, happens because it is necessary. Sometimes story elements demand to be written, if when we don't want to. Do you think I ripped Anomen apart for fun? That I enjoyed putting it in AC? There are parts of AC that I have written with tears running down my face, but I wrote them because I *had* to. They were a part of the story, like it or not.

This is my absolute last word on the matter. Good luck in all your endeavors.

"There must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine." --William Hartnell, the First Doctor, Doctor Who

I hope that when A Cappella is complete, you would consider reading the rest of it. You might be surprised.

#17 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:20 AM

Hi Silrana!

I’m still enjoying A Capella. You’re well beyond where I made it in Throne of Bhaal, so I don’t always know which parts are yours and which come from the game.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!

I thought you convincingly portrayed Jaheira’s response to recent events. I wish she would just talk with someone about it; but she wouldn’t really be Jaheira then. One of the things I’ve liked best about the last ten chapters or so is the natural way Jarran has been getting more and more godlike; it’s not just that he’s more powerful (though he is powerful enough that Elminster said he wouldn’t dare attack him), but the content and the quality of his experiences and those of his companions are slowly taking on mythic dimensions. In this context, Jaheira’s fear she’s going to lose him seems completely natural; her determination to say nothing and take it all on herself seems very Jahiera.

Jaheira just isn't the sort to cry on someone's shoulder. She's very used to handling things herself, and isn't likely to change now.

I liked the end of the Balthazar story arc. It was very sad, but given the way you’d portrayed him and the fact that he’d already killed so many, I don’t see how it could have ended any other way. Still, it did feel like redemption of a sort. I thought his last speech to Jarran was very well done, especially where he says “I have been made to see that I cannot claim to be innocent of the blood I have spilled.” The description of his death, “the golden light of Balthazar’s essence seemed to move through him like a divine wind,” made me think at least his spirit was no longer in thrall to Bhaal. It was certainly a very different end than Sendai’s. May the gods be merciful.

I thought of it as a redemption. Redemption doesn't just mean suddenly turning into a 'nice guy'. Balthazar saw his mistakes, and did what he thought was right to make up for them.

I didn’t like the first few lines of Elminster criticizing Jarran; it didn’t seem fair. Sure there’s a lot of strife due to the Bhaalspawn, but that doesn’t seem like Jarran’s fault. But I warmed to him when he actually offered to help. I thought the game Elminster was annoying, because he never did much, and his appearances seemed unmotivated (except perhaps to impress the players with his celebrity status). I appreciated him more here where he actually did something, and his offhand humility and sense of humor when he intimated Jarran was much more powerful than him was disarming. The clap on the shoulder was a nice touch.

Elminster is a rather bizarre character to use successfully. The biggest problem is that El is so powerful that anything he does draws attention. Look at it this way - if he had been too helpful to the PC, a number of other powerful people/creatures would wonder why. That might leave our PCs with some very nasty enemies.

Good story!

--Rick

Thanks!

#18 Guest_RickTaylor_*

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:36 AM

Jaheira just isn't the sort to cry on someone's shoulder. She's very used to handling things herself, and isn't likely to change now.

I agree entirely. That's why I get frustrated with her sometimes. :roll: But it's also one of the reasons I'm fond of her.

I thought of it as a redemption. Redemption doesn't just mean suddenly turning into a 'nice guy'. Balthazar saw his mistakes, and did what he thought was right to make up for them.

That's all any of us can do.

--Rick T

#19 Laufey

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:30 PM

Ah, poor Jaheira, but of course she believes this. :) It should come as no big surprise or spoiler that Edwin will be just as firmly convinced of the same thing at this point.

To be annoying? :)

Under his breath Anomen muttered, “We should have found another way. I will never trust this pirate.”

Saemon hissed, “The pirate has long ears, knight, and so do the guards, so keep mum.”

Anomen simply isn't cut out for undercover work. :)

I have to say, I'm pretty surprised that Jarran trusts him at this point. I know I wouldn't - but of course, I'm not the most trusting of people.

I don't quite understand this part. You mean Bhaal created his children by two different processes?

Oh, ouch...a very dramatic way to go. I do prefer this to Baldy being convinced to join the party though, to me this feels far more likely.
Rogues do it from behind.

#20 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:34 AM

Ah, poor Jaheira, but of course she believes this. :( It should come as no big surprise or spoiler that Edwin will be just as firmly convinced of the same thing at this point.

I think all the romance partners can't help feeling this way. Even in the game, if the PC refuses godhood, the love interest sounds shocked and amazed.

To be annoying? :)

:)

Anomen simply isn't cut out for undercover work. :)

Stealth isn't exactly his strong suit.

I have to say, I'm pretty surprised that Jarran trusts him at this point. I know I wouldn't - but of course, I'm not the most trusting of people.

I figured he would be influenced by the inner being that spoke to Balthazar. His gut would tell him it wasn't a trap.

I don't quite understand this part. You mean Bhaal created his children by two different processes?

That was covered in an earlier chapter. Bhaal created a select 'score of progeny' that were actual half-gods, like godchildren normally are. The who-knows-how-many others were 'holders' but not actually divine creatures.

Oh, ouch...a very dramatic way to go. I do prefer this to Baldy being convinced to join the party though, to me this feels far more likely.

Thanks. To me, he seemed very much a fatalist, and that whatever path he picked would lead to death.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com