Castaways of Fate: The Second Day, Housebuilding

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:28 PM

(And we start off another thread!)

Anni was in too good of a mood to let Talek's usual meaness bother her. She skipped to keep up with him. "Aww, come on Talek, don't be so grumpy. What did you get this morning? Don't you like my Draggie? Daddy made it for me when I was small. Sometime when I hug it I can still feel Daddy's arms around me. What was Daddy like in your world?" She smiled at him as she hugged her toy.

Talek's answer was angry and sharp. "Anchev wasn't Gorion's son, and since Anchev is your brotther, why the hell do YOU call him Daddy? I'm not discussing Father with YOU!" His finger extended, he jabbed it at her face, stopping inches from her nose. "I said I wouldn't kill you, and they say I shouldn't threathen you. Fine! But stay the hell away from me! I'm sick of hearing you. I'm sick of the sight of you. Go and cuddle with Theaza if you've got to annoy someone!" He turned and quickened his step towards Jarran, trying to lose the smaller woman. He darted a quick look to see if Erelle was following them.

Jarran blinked. "Er, *I* have have a motley group? Oh, crud."

He looked towards the others and saw that Talek was heading his way, Anni trailing behind. "Oooooh, crud."

Talek saw Jarran, and his mood improved a bit. shouldn't let the little treacherous bitch get to me like that Smiling he waved a hand. "Hey! The others are leaving. Guess it's for the best, I never was one for hunting animals."

He thought for a long moment as the explorers left. A bit nervously, he cleared his throat and addressed the others. "While the others are exploring the island, we need to set up a place where we can safely sleep. We will need fresh water, and it should be defensible. I know we all arrived in different spots and have seen various things. I'm open to suggestions as to where we should set up a stable camp until we can find something better. With luck, we won't be here long, but... well, we just can't be sure."

Talek shrugged. "There's the lake and the little waterfall? If we stay near the bottom of the hill the wtaer flows off, we've got a solid wall against our back? One side less for bastards to appear?" Even the thick-skulled warrior had learned over the year where to make camp.

#2 Guest_Noelani_*

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:49 PM

Talek's answer was angry and sharp. "Anchev wasn't Gorion's son, and since Anchev is your brotther, why the hell do YOU call him Daddy? I'm not discussing Father with YOU!" His finger extended, he jabbed it at her face, stopping inches from her nose. "I said I wouldn't kill you, and they say I shouldn't threathen you. Fine! But stay the hell away from me! I'm sick of hearing you. I'm sick of the sight of you. Go and cuddle with Theaza if you've got to annoy someone!" He turned and quickened his step towards Jarran, trying to lose the smaller woman. He darted a quick look to see if Erelle was following them.

Erelle is indeed still following, and has to run to keep up with Talek's longer strides.

Talek shrugged. "There's the lake and the little waterfall? If we stay near the bottom of the hill the wtaer flows off, we've got a solid wall against our back? One side less for bastards to appear?" Even the thick-skulled warrior had learned over the year where to make camp.

"A good place for washing, and there is food near...but so much green!" She wrinkles her nose in disgust. "Can we not find a place closer to the sand?"

#3 Guest_IriaZenn_*

Posted 27 April 2005 - 10:30 PM

Anni was in too good of a mood to let Talek's usual meaness bother her. She skipped to keep up with him. "Aww, come on Talek, don't be so grumpy. What did you get this morning? Don't you like my Draggie? Daddy made it for me when I was small. Sometime when I hug it I can still feel Daddy's arms around me. What was Daddy like in your world?" She smiled at him as she hugged her toy.

Anni didn't let Talek's anger to get to her as she continued to follow him and still talk.

"I know Sarevok wasn't Daddy's son, the point is Gorion is the only father I ever needed and I think that's the same for you. Bhaal was just the one that created us, Gorion was the one who made us who we are. I always call Gorion Daddy. He really was a good dad too you know. No matter how much anyone else hated me he always was there for me, he was the only one that believed in me. Did he do the same for you Talek? Hey did Daddy ever tell you about that Red Dragon he fought? Or any of his other stories?" She smiled like a child, her eyes shining brightly as she thought of Gorion.

#4 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:21 AM

Onyx laughed, finding Di's energy contagious, "I've no idea...I'd never ride a pig. It's difficult for me to imagine calling a wild boar for my noble steed. Though those tusks would make for a mean charge attack..."

He let the ligher Daie go first before he climbed the network of roots curling in and out of the steep ravine and crawled up over the lip. She carried well, not swinging around on his back. It was like when one rode a horse; important not to add to the burden by shifting center of gravity relative it and and increasing its energy expenditure (and balance issues) in bearing you.

Topward again, he let Di down. He rubbed his temples, having a memory flash again. Someone light and bright and chirpy like this, someone close. Mercurial but good and trustworthy. Damn...who am I?

He kept a smile, but was inwardly thoughtful as the three of them retraced Di's original tracks (now made all the more obvious by his and Daie's passage) to the camp. "By the gods it's sweaty inland," he groaned, rubbing the nape of his neck. "And it's only still morning." He looked down at Di as they walked. "I'm impressed that you came so far, out of a desire to forage materials. We should indeed do that, but always in groups, k? There was the obsidian I found yesterday, for example. But the only way to make a soap-like product that I've thought of, is just boiling fat. I'm not even sure what lye comes from. Even scrubbing yourself with a smooth stone helps, cleanses the dead skin from the new. Renewel, that's my creed!"

Talek could be heard well before they'd cleared the thick trees and could spot the others again. Onyx flacked yet more sweat from his skin, and gestured to all the others. "How's the planning going? We're all okay! Di encountered a ravine a ways inland...so be careful if you find yourself dashing that way! I wonder if eventuall it'd be a way to lure beasts to their death?" He cocked a thoughtful eyebrow at the ranger Daie, then gestured along the beach with his spear. "Hey-ho, to hunt we go?"

#5 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:41 PM

Onyx laughed, finding Di's energy contagious, "I've no idea...I'd never ride a pig. It's difficult for me to imagine calling a wild boar for my noble steed. Though those tusks would make for a mean charge attack..."

She giggled. "It would have to be a very big pig! Ooh that's a fun phrase too! My spine is fine, and a biiiig piiiig!"

Topward again, he let Di down. He rubbed his temples, having a memory flash again. Someone light and bright and chirpy like this, someone close. Mercurial but good and trustworthy. Damn...who am I?

She smiled apollogetically up at him. "Oops, sorry, I didn't mean to give you a headache!" She put her hand over her mouth.

He kept a smile, but was inwardly thoughtful as the three of them retraced Di's original tracks (now made all the more obvious by his and Daie's passage) to the camp. "By the gods it's sweaty inland," he groaned, rubbing the nape of his neck. "And it's only still morning." He looked down at Di as they walked. "I'm impressed that you came so far, out of a desire to forage materials. We should indeed do that, but always in groups, k? There was the obsidian I found yesterday, for example. But the only way to make a soap-like product that I've thought of, is just boiling fat. I'm not even sure what lye comes from. Even scrubbing yourself with a smooth stone helps, cleanses the dead skin from the new. Renewel, that's my creed!"

She smiled. "Thanks! Ok. I won't go alone again, sorry. We're going to be pretty dirty. I don't think anyone has any fat to spare!" She pinched her ribs to show him that she only had skin to offer. "I'll try stones!"

#6 Guest_Noelani_*

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:12 AM

::Somewhere in the background of the story, a cricket chirps noisily::
OOC: Hey, anyone going to post anything here soon? The other two groups seem to be moving along a bit...

#7 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:18 PM

OOC: I've been waiting for someone else to post so I'm not posting back to back. Don't want you guys to think I'm hogging the thread. :wink:

#8 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:15 PM

OOC: I've been waiting for someone else to post so I'm not posting back to back. Don't want you guys to think I'm hogging the thread. ;)

OOC: Well, Jarran's last action was to ask for suggestions and opinions. So... suggest and opine. ;)

#9 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:26 PM

Dichroic looks around at the group, eyes landing on and then focusing on each person. Another dead leaf falls out of her muddy and blood crusted hair. She bites her lip.

"Um, I'm sure I'm not supposed to wander off by myself anymore because both Onyx and Daie have told me so, and well, it wasn't really that much fun, you know, the falling part, the rest was, but... Um, could I go to the waterfall place and get somewhat clean by boiling fat out of smooth stones?" She blinks. "I'm not sure, but I think this means I have to take someone with me? Why are you guys staring at each other like that...oh that's a cute dragon! Did I show you my bracelet?" She says to Annie, holding up her wrist with a mud smeared bracelet... where there isn't mud, there is a shiny green metal. Charms hang from it, but are too muddy to make out at the moment. Then she turned towards Talek, smiling apologetically. "I didn't find any soap or shampoos out there, but Onyx says he doesn't know where lies come from but that we can boil fat." She scratches her head and a few flakes of dried blood drift down like dandriff. "By the way, the revine he mentioned has a beautiful view, but you need to watch your step, but if you stand still and look up, the vines sure know how to thatch. I haven't had much time to study it, but I'm thinking if you haven't already made a full fletched town, I could help with the roofs? And if not, just let me know if I can do something to help because I can be useful... I may not have my spellbook, components or my crossbow, but I can still do basic things like roof thatching or stick collecting for firewood or something." She smiles, scratching some dried mud from her arm.

#10 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:05 PM

Onyx emerged from the jungle at the same spot, Di's original trail, that he and Daie had been going in and out of; he passed through camp yet again by way of going up the beach in the same direction Brynn and Elshana had before. He took the hammock Elshana had made for him, it might serve like a net for bringing things back.

He slid his thumb along his held spear, and looked slightly irritated, but he did smile at all he passed. "A certain elven ranger's distaste for fish trumps his good sense about renewability of the land, so I am fishing alone. I welcome a second, but more than I can carry is too much for one day's eating anyway. If Daie does catch something, make sure you all inspect it for gibberling scratches or any other sign of disease. Best of luck, or skill rather, with your crafts 'til I am back." He casually mock-saluted, and gradually shrank up the beach.

#11 Guest_Rand Al'Tor_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:35 PM

"I know Sarevok wasn't Daddy's son, the point is Gorion is the only father I ever needed and I think that's the same for you. Bhaal was just the one that created us, Gorion was the one who made us who we are . I always call Gorion Daddy. He really was a good dad too you know. No matter how much anyone else hated me he always was there for me, he was the only one that believed in me. Did he do the same for you Talek? Hey did Daddy ever tell you about that Red Dragon he fought? Or any of his other stories?" She smiled like a child, her eyes shining brightly as she thought of Gorion.

Talek's answer was still acid. "You... don't TALK to me... and ESPECIALLY not about Gorion." He bit at her. "After the things you said, it only shows all the more that you're an ingrateful, treacherous bitch, and I half feel I should kill you before you do the same to Edwin! Gonna help the Wyclaran kill him because he happens to be the one chasing her or something?"

. Stepping further away from Anni, he looked at Jarran. "Sounds like you're the guy in charge anyway. I say we rest near the waterfall but..;" He shrugged. "I usually let the others decide that stuff. Just tell me when you need some brute force applied. Not that you don't look like you could do some stuff yourself."

He heard the long monologue from Di, but his eyes glazed over halfway, though the enthusiasm did affect him. And it was good to see he wans't the only one worrying about soap

#12 Guest_IriaZenn_*

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:01 AM

Talek's answer was still acid. "You... don't TALK to me... and ESPECIALLY not about Gorion." He bit at her. "After the things you said, it only shows all the more that you're an ingrateful, treacherous bitch, and I half feel I should kill you before you do the same to Edwin! Gonna help the Wyclaran kill him because he happens to be the one chasing her or something?"

"You know Talek, I'm being nice, I'm trying to find common ground for us to talk on." She smiled pleasantly. "I've always been a good daughter to Gorion, he was proud of me and Immy no matter what. If you don't want to talk about Daddy what about talking about Edwin? You seem to know him. If you ever stop in Amn, the Cowled Wizards have us liceined as a married couple. Pretty funny huh? Only reason that happened was because I don't have a last name, I never even knew Gorion's. You're lucky that you got to take Gorionson as your surname. Goriondaughter just doesn't sound right you know? "

Anni tilted her head as she listened to Dichroic. She smiled gently at the other woman. "That's a very nice braclet and I'm glad you like my dragon. My father made it for me. How about we go over to the waterfall and we can get you cleaned up, ok? I know how itchy dried blood gets after a while and as far as soap goes it would take a week before we could use it even if we could make it."

#13 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:00 AM

Onyx emerged from the jungle at the same spot, Di's original trail, that he and Daie had been going in and out of; he passed through camp yet again by way of going up the beach in the same direction Brynn and Elshana had before. He took the hammock Elshana had made for him, it might serve like a net for bringing things back.

"Um, Onyx, are you disappearing too?" Dichroic points at the hammock in his hands. "Aren't you coming back to sleep tonight?" She asks, smiling a worried half smile. "I didn't make you mad, did I?"

He slid his thumb along his held spear, and looked slightly irritated, but he did smile at all he passed. "A certain elven ranger's distaste for fish trumps his good sense about renewability of the land, so I am fishing alone. I welcome a second, but more than I can carry is too much for one day's eating anyway. If Daie does catch something, make sure you all inspect it for gibberling scratches or any other sign of disease. Best of luck, or skill rather, with your crafts 'til I am back." He casually mock-saluted, and gradually shrank up the beach.

Dichroic smiles hopefully and waves at him goodbye, hoping whoever goes with him doesn't give him a headache like she did. "Have fun, and be careful for the cute assassin strawberry frogs." She says quietly, at least as far as her voice is concerned, he can probably still hear her.

Anni tilted her head as she listened to Dichroic. She smiled gently at the other woman. "That's a very nice braclet and I'm glad you like my dragon. My father made it for me. How about we go over to the waterfall and we can get you cleaned up, ok? I know how itchy dried blood gets after a while and as far as soap goes it would take a week before we could use it even if we could make it."

She notices that she's being smiled at and it renews her smile tenfold. Her blue eyes sparkle in glee. She's so happy to be talked to that the words tumble out of her mouth. "Thank you! I had this one made for my daughter but she didn't want it because it wasn't magical. But at least you all get to see what pyreal looks like!" She bites her lip. "Er, you know, when it's clean it looks better. Honest. Yeah, blood is itchy and mud is itchy too. Blood and mud is itchy. When they join forces its really itchy, like fleas dancing. But, yes, let's go to the waterfall and get cleaned up! Swimming is fun!" Her most contagious smile spreads again. "You can swim too if you want! And I'm sure no sneaky ravines will ambush us!"

#14 Guest_Noelani_*

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:10 AM

She notices that she's being smiled at and it renews her smile tenfold. Her blue eyes sparkle in glee. She's so happy to be talked to that the words tumble out of her mouth. "Thank you! I had this one made for my daughter but she didn't want it because it wasn't magical. But at least you all get to see what pyreal looks like!" She bites her lip. "Er, you know, when it's clean it looks better. Honest. Yeah, blood is itchy and mud is itchy too. Blood and mud is itchy. When they join forces its really itchy, like fleas dancing. But, yes, let's go to the waterfall and get cleaned up! Swimming is fun!" Her most contagious smile spreads again. "You can swim too if you want! And I'm sure no sneaky ravines will ambush us!"

Erelle watches Anni and Diochrotic leave for the waterfall. "I...will wait to wash, I think." She looks toward the many trees bordering the beach. "Do you think there might be more kinds of fruit here?"

#15 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:59 PM

Daie staggered into the camp, dripping water, with weeds and water plants hanging from his body.

His white shirt clung to his body, revealing the definition of his muscles underneath, and his heavy black linen breeches were weighing him down.

He dropped the large bunch of fruit at Erelle's feet.

"Have a bonana" he said, before dropping to the sand.

Over in the trees, the big stag stuck it's head out of a bush, and looked around for Daie, befoe giving a deep bleat.

"No venison for us. We'll have to eat whatever Onyx catches." Daie said with a grimace.

#16 Guest_Noelani_*

Posted 11 May 2005 - 12:43 AM

He dropped the large bunch of fruit at Erelle's feet.

"Have a bonana" he said, before dropping to the sand.

Erelle smiles up at him and reaches down to pick a few "bonana" from the bunch, but jumps back with only one as a large, hairy spider creeps out between the fruit.

She cautiously inspects the fruit in her hand before opening the peel, as if afraid more spiders might be hiding inside. She takes a bite and immedietly spits it out. "These are not bonana, is fruit for cooking! Plantains. Very good fried with butter. Bring to the fire, please."

OOCly stuff: Plantains are sort of a starchy, less sweet variety that could easily be mistaken for the normal kind of bananna on sight. They need to be cooked before eaten, but it'll at least be a good source of starch for the party. I have no clue on how breadfruit might look, taste or be cooked, but these should be easy enough to just put into the ashes of a fire.

#17 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:44 AM

Erelle smiles up at him and reaches down to pick a few "bonana" from the bunch, but jumps back with only one as a large, hairy spider creeps out between the fruit.

She cautiously inspects the fruit in her hand before opening the peel, as if afraid more spiders might be hiding inside. She takes a bite and immedietly spits it out. "These are not bonana, is fruit for cooking! Plantains. Very good fried with butter. Bring to the fire, please."

"Oh, what?" Daie asked, with an exasperated sigh. "I haven't had a bonana in years. I thought I'd struck gold there."

He lifted the bunch of now revealed to be plantains to the fire, and gave them to Erelle, before a thought struck him.

"Which way did Onyx go, as I really think I should be helping him with his" he groaned "fishing."

Having been pointed in the right direction, he turned, and, waving over his shoulder, he made his way in the direction of the paladin.

#18 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:27 AM

Dichroic sheds her clothes. They have grown so thick with mud and sand that it almost feels like pulling off acid cracked leather armor. She will be happy to wash them shortly. "Wow, I can only imagine what Edric feels if he ever sheds his skin." She says to Anni. "Though I don't think he sweats anything, so it's probably not nearly so sticky and hot, but I've learned virindi view energy secretions in much the same way we do glandular ones." She makes a small happy grimace and takes a deep breath, looking at the scene before them. "It's really amazing how such different life forms are so alike."

The pool stretches out, gently rippling from the water trickling in from the little waterfall and the water bleeding out of it to form the cheerful little stream. "I wonder if the water feels tickled or tortured by such gentle movement...it could feel stiffled having to move so slow, but it might just be having fun bubbling over the rocks like that and taking its time to get to the ocean."

Small bugs of all kinds sing into the moist breath of the trees. The song alters from time to time when individual bugs are silenced by the efficient beaks of brightly shimmering birds. Others bugs silence for a short time and then go about their song, as if they had forgotten or adjusted to the absence of their fellows. If it were only so easy. Her darkness hisses. It is. She thinks back, mouth set in an anticipatory smile as she looks at the almost clear water.

She scratches and peals off as much blood and mud as she can, then launches herself into the pond with a loud childish whoop. A sudden shudder ripples through her body as coolness engulfs her, but she smiles and forces herself under. She shakes a cloud of dirt from her hair, it spreads in the water like the ink of a disturbed octopus before dispersing. She attacks her hair with her fingernails and violent scrubbing. She thrashes around in the water like a fish fighting a line. She comes up gasping and laughing. "It's kind of cold at first but it's better than sweating." She says. "Oh, so much better!" She smiles at Anni.

#19 Guest_IriaZenn_*

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:29 PM

Anni smiled slightly at Dichroic's antics. As much as she wanted to get clean she was still shy about her scars and didn't want to scared Dichroic. She watched the woman splash around in the water.

"I'll be right back." She turned and walked back to the others. She spotted Erelle, she had noticed the girl's disappointment eariler when Talek was washing. "Erelle! Come alone and we'll get you cleaned up ok?" She smiled at the girl and turned back to the waterfall, eying Dichroic, not for the first time wondering what was wrong with the girl.

#20 Guest_Dadri_*

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:40 AM

Anni smiles slightly. It's a familiar smile... almost everyone smiles like that at her. Part of her is not surprised when Anni excuses herself for a moment. She'll kill me. The darkness says. They smile like that because they think I'm less a person. I am less a person.

I'm being silly again. She thinks to herself. If she wanted to kill me, she would have. I should explain to her what Virindi are, and what Edric is, and then it will make sense. Perhaps. It's always harder to make sense of things when you don't have any experience with them. I wonder if Virindi have ever been to Toril...

I'm out of my mind. If I try to explain it to her, she will believe I made it all up.

Ah, but I have the bracelet. I have proof that can be touched. If it were just gold they could think I had it made on their world of Toril from my own drawings of imaginings, but they probably don't have pyreal on Toril. Hopefully.

Anni returns, eyeing her warily but with a smile.

Dichroic swims closer, then stands and walks. Her skin is unmarred by scarring, but her ribs are uneven. The ribs on the left side are more sunken than the right. Clearly, they have been broken and rehealed a few times. She dips her ragged clothes in the water on the edge, scrubbing them with a rock and wrigging them out. A few spots are brown blood stained now, but other than that her clothes are a very faded almost tan color. She remembers when this shirt and breeches had been green.... so long ago. After wringing them out, she puts them back on.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to hog the water. You can swim now. I promise, I'll be good." Her own smile softens, as her fingers trace the charms. I'm dead. Her darkness snipes. I am not in the hands of the mothers. Perhaps they didn't want me either.

I'm just a broken human, who am I to question the Mother's methods? She thinks. I have been dropped off in a beautiful, interesting place with dangers and wonders both, and a salting and peppering of people, and I'm certain that if I just get to know them, they will be the best friends I can have.

"Um, Anni, what do you like to do for fun?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com