Castaways of Fate: The Second Day, Hunting

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:31 AM

*Tarzan scream*

#2 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 02 May 2005 - 07:46 PM

Daie ruffled Di's hair. "As long as you promise not to get in trouble again. Or else." He stuck his tongue out to remove the threat from his words, and poked Onyx in the bicep. "Hunt. Now. Hungry!"

Without waiting, he stalked from the clearing, notching an arrow. He made his way back to where he had encountered Di's tracks. Looking down, he grinned ferally as he found what he thought he'd seen earleir.

Tracks. Lots of tracks.

Presumably, the animals had a watering hold nearby. Should be easy enough to trace it, and hunt some down. There may even be fish there too, so Onyx would be able to fish if he saw fit.

"Hurry up Sir Onyx!" He called over his shoulder.

#3 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 02 May 2005 - 10:09 PM

Onyx got a slighty annoyed expression on his face when Daie doubled back inland. He ran after the ranger and, even though he realized that Daie had stopped where there were tracks he said, "As I've said several times, I'm of the mind we should fish, not land-hunt. Yesterday, after the shark was killed, Brynn scattered its entrials upon the rocks and coral, the idea being to attract crabs, barracudas, and what-have-you today. Because we have a golden opportunity there, and because land animals are a more finite resource, but the good ranger you are I'm sure you knew that. I highly suggest we fish instead. Also, this being a gibberling-infested jungle, land animals are more prone to carry diseases we could catch. Don't you remember that dying lion that Talek clubbed?"

He looked at the tracks again. "It'd behoove me to know, though...what kind of tracks are those anyway?"

#4 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:14 PM

Daie made a face. "I hate fish, and would rather eat my own arm then have more. I hunt, I don't fish. Besides" he continued, pointing to the tracks "wouldn't you just love some nice roasted venison?"

Without bothering to wait for an answer, he continued on after the tracks. They were several hours old, and that was probably why no-one had spotted them before now. Still, it hadn;t rained, and there'd certainly been no snow, so it should be simple enough to follow them, just time consuming. He hefted his bow, and followed them along the trail.

Daie looked back to see if Onyx was following, and was not surprised to find he wasn't. No doubt he was fishing already. The elf sighed. He hoped he would catch a deer, because he couldn;t stand the loss of face if he had to return and eat fish. Or eat Crow, he thought.

He was startled from his thoughts by a rustling in the shrubs ahead, He notched an arrow, and aimed. As he was about to shoot, a small deer leapt from the bush, and looked around the woodland.

Daie stopped. I'm not shooting that, he thought.

#5 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:11 PM

Onyx shook his head, and often wiped his brow of sweat on his long walk along the beach. He drank from his coconut canteen, sure to drink his fill at the stream and refill there. The sandy tracks of Lance's passage made him smile, and he often thought of his horse and the two it ferried and wished the best for them, as well as hoping for valuable information on their return.

The sun rose in its course, and finally he reached the lagoon. Through the gently shifting waters he could see fish and crustaceans milling about, a veritable festival in the places Brynn had thrown the entrials the day before.

His own steps, following the shallow line they'd used to go out and lure the shark, tended to scare them away. But that had to be expected....what he would have to do is stand still for a while, become like the terrain itself, and let the bait bring them back again. He stood like a tiny colossus straddling some harbor, with his feet spread to shoulder width and his spear in both hands pointed straight down. With the sun to his back, and he waited with a meditative patience.

#6 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:54 PM

Daie gave a piercing whistle. The baby deer made to bolt, but he slowly crept from the bush, and raised his hands. The animal stopped, and cocked it's head at him.

The elf slowly made his way towards it, whispering soothing sounds. He finally got close enough, and gently laid a hand on it's head, giving the animal a stroke.

"Where's the water?" he asked quietly. The creature took a step back, and turned to go. As it reached the edge of the glade, it turned, and bleated at him.

"All right, I'm coming. Stop being so impatient." Daie moaned.

He followed the bouncing deer, and after a few minutes trekking through the jungle, came to a small clearing, with a small stream running through it. Several deer were drinking from it. They looked up when he entered, but the young one beside him bleated again, and they ignored him again.

"Thank Selune. Running water." Daie crept up to the pool slowly, so as not to alarm any of the drinking animals. He shamefully slung the bow over his shoulder again. He couldn't hunt any of the animals, not now he'd seen them up close.

He knew he'd made the mistake now. He'd always been taught to distance himself from the target, but he hadn't.
Daie sighed. "Fish for dinner."
He dropped to his knees, and scooped several handfulls of water into his face. He stopped for a moment, and looked into the reflection. Although distorted by ripples, he could still see something hanging from the trees overhead. He looked up. Several bunches of long yellow fruit were hanging from the tree.
"Bonanas!" he whooped. He'd seen them in markets in Athkatla. Bonanas.

Daie shed the bow from his back, and leapt onto the tree's smooth trunk. He shimmied up, and stretched out. Stretching further and further, he managed to get a grip on the bunch. He felt his balance shift, and he fell from the tree, giving a strangled yell.

In mid air, he twisted like a cat, and clutched the bonana bunch tight to his chest, before hitting the ground, and rolling to break his fall.
Unfortunatley for the young elf, he rolled straight into the pond.

"Vith!" He swore as he surfaced.

Pulling himself from the water, he wearily began to make his way back to the camp, unkowingly follwoed by a rather large stag.

#7 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:15 PM

OOC: Argh, double post. Oh well, can't be helped.

IC:
Daie stalked up the beach, following the many trails in the sand, but mainly the wet footprints Onyx had left by the surf.

After a few minutes trek, he could see the figure of the human in the distance. He smiled, and ran up to the man, knowing that Onyx would certainly be surprised to see him, especially after his outburst earlier.

He crept around behind the man, using the cover, and his own abilities as a ranger to keep himself from view. Relying on his light tread, and small frame, he managed to get right up behind Onyx, the larger man's shadow covering his own.

Daie growned inwardly. Onyx was standing with the sun to is back, casting a shadow over the water. Daie was sure that wouldn;t help, but not being a fisherman, he couldn;t be sure.

He leant in close over the man's ear, and whispered.

"Any luck?"

#8 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:16 PM

Onyx almost started...but as soon as he realized he wasn't alone he also recognized Daie's voice. "Don't do that!" he shiver-chuckled, "You scared me...and you'll scare the fist away."

With the downward pointed tip of his spear, he gestured to the narrow coral covering sandbar he'd walked out into, nearly knee-deep. He'd been standing still for quite a while now, letting the fish 'forget' that two 'big' human feet had invaded their environment, so the plumpest ones would resume swimming past.

"Wading out here, I think you've scared them again," he sighed, "But it's okay." He gestured to a specific spot on the treeline. "If you want, I made an extra spear that I put up in that tree yesterday. What I'm doing is trying to just stay still so the big fish will swim by me again, like I'm just more of the terrain itself. Soon now...I did see a lot of them hovering around the entrials Brynn left," he gestured downward with the point of his spear again, "They'll be back soon."

He did a double-take back toward the treeline - for high above it, they could now see a stretch of dark cloud on the inland horizon. "Ergh, I don't like that...I hope it's moving lateral to us," he intoned.

#9 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:36 AM

Daie shrugged. "Surely, whether they forget you're there or not, your shadow will scare them away? STill, I'll take that other spear and give you a hand."

He slunk off, moving slowly, his feet creating tiny ripples as he stepped more softly than one would think possible, the soft boots definatley making up for the enormous price they'd been bought for.

Looking up, he saw the cloud Onyx had indicated. He whistled softly. "If that hits this place, I hope the others can swim. Or climb trees." He reflected, pensively.
"Oh well, at least it'll give us some fresh water. We should try building some kind of barrel to collect the rainwater, because to be honest, coconuts shells aren't really up to it, are they?"

Daie reached the makeshift spear, and give it a flourish, then waved it around in a figure of eight manoeuvre.
"Hmm, it's all flooding back. Sowrd, bow and spear, the basic weapons of my people. There's nothing like a lance in your hand though, eh? You're lucky my friend, your horse came with you. I'd kill to have mine here, or even my companion, Mordecai."

The sylvan elf crept over to the edge of the water, and rolled back onto his haunches, spear poised.

A fish lazily swan in front of him, and Daie sprung into action. The spear lashed out, but arced over the fish, which darted away.

"Whoops."

#10 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:46 AM

"If we get a storm, a tree's the last place to be, I'd think," Onyx frowned. "Good idea, about rainwater. Elshana seemed handy enough with the hammocks, I wonder if she could weave something waterproof....I'd be willing to try, but I doubt I could. Still, coconut halves would give us something. Or, how about this! If we dig a pit in the sand, then line it with leaves in a way that the water can't absorb through..."

"Aye," he sighed, and appraised his spear, "It's nothing like a good, professionally made mounted lance. I was worried when using it from horseback last night, had to jab lightly so as to keep from breaking it off in a gibberling."

He managed to chuckle a little, good naturedly, when Daie missed a fish. "It's the light distortion of the water. Try touching a fixed point underwater, 'til you get the hang of it. Sightlines seem to bend down, which means a fish is deeper than it appears. Stab through it."

He returned to staring at his own feet in patient waiting. Still, a corner of one eye kept itself apprensively mindful of that dark horizon.

#11 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:15 AM

Daie nodded thoughtfully. "It's worth a try. The pit might work, I think we'd be better off having the water supply slightly higher, someone might fall in."

He chuckled, knowing exactly who would fall in first.

"Maybe a Di-proof fence for this pit of yours?"

"A lance would be good, but I'd still need my horse. I left her back in Athkatla, at a friend's house. A pity, she'd have been almost as useful as your own Lance."

Daie sighed, and poked the spear back into the water, aiming a rock. He managed to hit his target after a few goes, but continued to practice, trying to perfect his aim before going after anything.

"That storm looks nasty. Should we think about heading back?"

#12 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:26 AM

The sliver of sky blotted by the dark clouds thickened and thickened over the land, and Onyx couldn't help noticing it stretched from the direction Brynn, Elshana, and Lance would already be, to the way back to camp. "Damn, well at least it's kind of passing us..."

Almost on cue to Daie's wise observation, a coil of thunder hops amongst the cloudswarm.

"Yikes. Very prudent Daie, let's." With a heavy hearted sigh, hoping that it passes quickly so they have something to eat and share with the others later - oh well, plenty of day left - he walked calmly up out of the water.

"I don't think we should head back per se," he continued once he got up the beach, and he took a shady seat at the foot of a palm, "It looks like they're more likely to get the nasty of it than we. Let's just wait it out and try to resume fishing when it's a bit safer - this really is the best place for it that anyone's found. Maybe we could do a bit of poking about inland while we're waiting anyway?" he turned his head around to stare into the dense jungle.

#13 Guest_Daie_*

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:30 PM

Stepping past Onyx, Daie shook his head. "They might need help, and we can;t just skulk around here waiting for a bit of rain to pass."

Turning back towards the camp, Daie stepped off, fully expecting Onyx to follow him.

OOC: Apologies for the short post, but I don't know if Onyx is still around, and the action seems to be at home, so I'm goin' there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com