Photo

Cards Reshuffled 246

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Laufey

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:22 AM

Cards Reshuffled 246 – Shadow Dragon

Don’t fight dragons, that’s all I say. Sure, it may sound romantic, but it’s not. Not unless you especially like being bitten in half and turned into dragon poop. And never, ever make the mistake of thinking dragons are just big lizards. Dragons are clever, and it’s a safe bet that the one you’ll be fighting was eating adventurers smarter and stronger than yourself before you got your first wooden sword.

Excerpt from ‘Ruminations Of A Master Bard’

The Shadow Dragon’s mouth opened wide, and it violently exhaled, breathing out a cloud of black fumes. Zaerini didn’t know exactly what they would do if they hit her, but she didn’t doubt it would be deadly. Not pausing to think, she dropped to the ground, rolling, and the dragon breath just barely missed her.

When she got to her feet again, she found that Valygar and Anomen had been less lucky. The ranger and the priest were both on the ground, unconscious, and their faces looked far too pale and still for her liking. Jaheira was standing over them, casting a spell, but the dragon’s roar kept her from hearing a single word.

Minsc, meanwhile, was charging the dragon, Lilarcor lifted high in the air. The sword she could hear, and it was shouting something about ‘Icky Picky Dragon Poo, Raise me up and stab me True!’ Mazzy was stabbing at the dragon’s left hind foot, tears of fury streaming down her face, although it didn’t look as if she was making much of an impact.

There was a loud and contemptuous snort, and then the rushing sound of a great storm as the dragon spread its wings and flapped them. Rini only just had time to see both Minsc and Mazzy flying helplessly through the air before she was struck by what felt like a giant and very solid fist. She was thrown through the air like a rag doll, and as she saw the cave wall come hurtling towards her she had time enough for one thought.

Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit. We’re really going to die this time. And if we don’t I’ll kill that halfling myself.

Then, there was a loud cracking sound, a red flower of pain erupted inside her skull, and she thought no more.

Kitten! Kitten, you have to wake up!

There was pain. Terrible throbbing pain in her head. She didn’t want to wake up. Didn’t want to so much as open her eyes.

Kitten, MOVE!

The mental nudge from her familiar was like a sharp spike inside her head, and it hurt. Still, it prodded her reluctant body into motion, forced herself onto her hands and knees, made them move. She tried opening her eyes, but they didn’t seem to work right, they were glued shut with something hot and sticky. Blood?

Her searching fingers struck something. Something warm, and solid. A body. Small. Beard. Jan then, not Mazzy. She tried to check for a pulse, a breath, but she couldn’t be sure if she felt one or not. Her fingers felt oddly numb, and they were trembling. Somewhere to her right, she could hear the dragon, roaring again, and somebody screaming.

Softy? The…the others! Are they…

I don’t know! Some are still on their feet, but I don’t think they’ll last much longer! You have to help them, or we’re all dead!

The half-elf gritted her teeth, clutched the cold and slippery cave wall, and slowly, painfully slowly, pulled herself to her feet. She still needed support to stand, and her head still felt as if there were knives being twisted inside it, but first things first. Eyes. Must see, to fight.

Luckily, it seemed that it was just blood blinding her, and no damage to her eyes themselves. It was probably a good thing it was so dark in here though, she had a feeling that sunlight would have made her scream out loud.

The dragon was over at the other side of the cave. Minsc, Mazzy and Jaheira were trying their best to injure it, but as far as she could tell they were all bleeding and looking rather weakened, while the dragon still seemed in fine form apart from some minor scratches.

But where’s…yes! Thank the Gods!

Edwin was still on his feet, some distance away from her, casting a spell. He turned his head a little, and the look on his face was one of vast relief. It was only a moment though, and then he at once returned to his intense concentration. As he released the spell, nothing obvious happened, but the dragon hissed and turned towards him, its tail lashing.

NO!

She hardly thought before she cast a spell of her own, the swarm of glowing missiles erupted from her palm even as she threw her arm out. A couple of them were harmlessly absorbed, but the great majority struck the scaly dark hide, hissing and sizzling.

Your wizard did well, Softpaws approved. The cat was hiding somewhere close by, pressed into a crack in the wall so she wouldn’t get trampled. The beast can be hurt by magic now.

Edwin had taken advantage of the moment to launch a spell of his own, and several burning arrows flew at his command, piercing one of the large eyes, puncturing it like a rotten fruit. This time, the dragon’s roar was one of pain rather than fury.

Zaerini cast spell after spell, but now and then she was forced to retreat, to back away from the dragon’s deadly breath and powerful tail. She couldn’t run, her head still hurt too much for her to manage anything more than a stagger, and so she had to be careful not to get close. Edwin too was having difficulties, he had summoned a group of giant spiders to distract the dragon, but it stomped them all into sticky goo without pausing, and then hunched down on its hind legs.

There was a voice, a voice like a cold wind, loud as thunder, and she knew it was the voice of the dragon. She couldn’t understand the words, they had to be in Draconic, but she didn’t need to. A spell! Have to distract it…

A word of command, and yet another spider launched itself at the dragon, this one larger than those summoned by the conjurer. Khittix emerged from its figurine of power, attached itself to the dragon’s foot and bit down hard. Though the dragon easily swept the spider off, squashing it flat, it limped afterwards, showing that at least the poison had done some small damage.

Once again, the dragon started its spell, unperturbed by the warriors battling it. Though their weapons did manage to create the occasional dent in its hard shell, no lasting damage had been done. It flapped its wings again, and Minsc and Jaheira were struck down, thrown clear across the cave. The half-elf winced as she saw Jaheira land on top of a cluster of stalagmites – there was blood trickling from the druid’s ears, and she didn’t get up again. Minsc was reeling, but he still came at the dragon, face twisted up with berserker fury. Mazzy had managed to cling to a nearby rock, and kept from being swept aside, but had to spend all her energy on dodging the dragon’s teeth and claws, and couldn’t land a single blow in return.

Then, the Shadow Dragon’s maw opened again, and it hissed out a few short syllables, which were followed by a quick rippling of the air around it. Rini watched in horror as she suddenly found herself facing not one, but five Shadow Dragons, each one identical to the ones surrounding it.

Mirror Image…oh gods. I can’t tell which one is real! And Ano and Jaheira are both out…Eddie is a conjurer…and I don’t have any divination spells memorized. No way to dispel the illusion.

The sudden, cold knowledge came to her that they were going to die. All of them, here and now, it was only a matter of moments. She had a few minor spells left, but hardly enough to kill the dragon, even when paired with Edwin’s magic. The only warriors left standing were Minsc and Mazzy, and that couldn’t last for long. They were all going to die.

Immy…I’m so sorry. I would have come for you.

Bits and pieces of old songs floated unbidden to the forefront of her mind, one in particular. Well, why not? She thought as she readied her bow, prepared to replace magic with magical arrows. Seems fitting enough. And it might even help.

She began somewhat faint and faltering, but her voice gained new strength as she went on, augmented with her Bhaalspawn power until all her companions could hear it quite clearly.

When all seems lost
We sense our doom
Shadows on a fraying loom

Yet our threads
Are still shining bright
Lighting up the darkest night

Hear, you shadows
Lurking shade
We won’t fade! We won’t fade…

Even as she sang, she could feel a sliver of new hope entering her heart, despite the despair of their situation, and she thought she could see a new sense of purpose and strength on her companions’ faces. On all of them, but one in particular, she could see it, hope mingled with desperation.

Mazzy launched herself at the nearest dragon’s maws, no longer bothering to dodge and parry, simply trying for maximum damage. All the copies of the Shadow Dragon laughed, in a single voice, one like thick, oily black syrup, and five reeking mouths opened wide. The halfling disappeared inside one of them, not uttering a single sound, and the strong jaws snapped shut. The dragon chewed once, twice, making a ghastly crunching sound, and then it swallowed.

Despite her dislike for Mazzy, Zaerini couldn’t quite repress a shudder of revulsion at the gruesome sight. Then, even as she raised her bow again, prepared to meet her end, something happened.

The Shadow Dragon screamed, a gurgling, choking scream, and its head thrashed desperately back and forth as it clutched and tore at its own throat. The enormous body was staggering back and forth, one of the illusions passing right through the startled half-elf, and the dragon screamed again. Then, it fell, crashing to the ground even as black blood poured forth from its nostrils and mouth. A final twitch of the tail, a shudder to the legs, a very loud and ponderous rumbling of the stomach – and it moved no more.

Zaerini found herself staring directly into the dragon’s open mouth, as it had landed practically on top of her. The beast was dead, of that there could be no doubt, and all the illusions had disappeared as life left it. She saw the lolling tongue, smeared with blood, the enormous teeth, the dark cavern that marked the beginning of its gullet. No sign of Mazzy.

But…wait. There was something. Something small, stuck to the roof of the dragon’s mouth. A sword. A fairly short sword, but long enough to penetrate to vital structures. And there, still clinging to it, even in death, yes, there it was. A small, white hand, all that was left of Mazzy Fentan.

“She was right…” Rini muttered, hardly knowing what she was saying, even as Edwin came up to her from behind, holding her tightly, supporting her. “She…she really was the Sword Arm of Arvoreen…”

Next: The Shade Lord awaits
Rogues do it from behind.

#2 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:46 AM

I got "INVALID SESSION" message three times... :D But I won't ever give up my favourite IE ! :?

Whoops... :)

Don’t fight dragons, that’s all I say. Sure, it may sound romantic, but it’s not. Not unless you especially like being bitten in half and turned into dragon poop. And never, ever make the mistake of thinking dragons are just big lizards. Dragons are clever, and it’s a safe bet that the one you’ll be fighting was eating adventurers smarter and stronger than yourself before you got your first wooden sword.

I might be mistaken, but I think it is past tense, "you'd be fighting".

When she got to her feet again, she found that Valygar and Anomen had been less lucky. The ranger and the priest were both on the ground, unconscious, and their faces looked far too pale and still for her liking. Jaheira was standing over them, casting a spell, but the dragon’s roar kept her from hearing a single word.

I was a bit confused here, on the question on whom the roar kept from hearing, Jaheira or Rini. Perhaps it would look better if it was "kept the bard" ?

Minsc, meanwhile, was charging the dragon, Lilarcor lifted high in the air. The sword she could hear, and it was shouting something about ‘Icky Picky Dragon Poo, Raise me up and stab me True!’ Mazzy was stabbing at the dragon’s left hind foot, tears of fury streaming down her face, although it didn’t look as if she was making much of an impact.

ROTFL ! ;) I've tried to write one-liners for Minsc, and I now know how difficult it may be. I really think you're doing a great job, here. :?

Oh, that's most unpleasant. To wake up and find out that battle's not over yet.. no. :)

Edwin was still on his feet, some distance away from her, casting a spell. He turned his head a little, and the look on his face was one of vast relief. It was only a moment though, and then he at once returned to his intense concentration. As he released the spell, nothing obvious happened, but the dragon hissed and turned towards him, its tail lashing.

*wistfully thinks of a spell trigger with two lower resistances and a greater malison, and then a Chain Contingency with three Abi-Dalzims...*

Zaerini cast spell after spell, but now and then she was forced to retreat, to back away from the dragon’s deadly breath and powerful tail. She couldn’t run, her head still hurt too much for her to manage anything more than a stagger, and so she had to be careful not to get close. Edwin too was having difficulties, he had summoned a group of giant spiders to distract the dragon, but it stomped them all into sticky goo without pausing, and then hunched down on its hind legs.

Oh, yes, unfortunately a bard is a very weak character in BG2. :? Except for a 30-level Blade... :)

Mirror Image…oh gods. I can’t tell which one is real! And Ano and Jaheira are both out…Eddie is a conjurer…and I don’t have any divination spells memorized. No way to dispel the illusion.

MYAHAHA ! A Dragon, and a Mirror Image... a sight indeed. :(

When all seems lost
We sense our doom

*AS Xan likes the song a lot* :(

Mazzy launched herself at the nearest dragon’s maws, no longer bothering to dodge and parry, simply trying for maximum damage.

She reminds me of Mazzy in "The story of a girl without a name," here.

All the copies of the Shadow Dragon laughed, in a single voice, one like thick, oily black syrup, and five reeking mouths opened wide. The halfling disappeared inside one of them, not uttering a single sound, and the strong jaws snapped shut. The dragon chewed once, twice, making a ghastly crunching sound, and then it swallowed.

I swear I knew it ! I was peeling potatoes in the kitchen, two hours ago, and suddenly a thought came: "and the dragon will simply eat Mazzy". :D

Anyway, I feel really sorry for her. *sigh* ;) Really.

But…wait. There was something. Something small, stuck to the roof of the dragon’s mouth. A sword. A fairly short sword, but long enough to penetrate to vital structures. And there, still clinging to it, even in death, yes, there it was. A small, white hand, all that was left of Mazzy Fentan.

I didn't quite follow: did the sword pierce the dragon's brain?

Perhaps this one will be easy, after the dragon. ;)

I would be very interested to know how Valygar in your story reacts on Mazzy's death; if you're not going to write about it specifically, could you please tell me?

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:15 PM

The Shadow Dragon’s mouth opened wide, and it violently exhaled, breathing out a cloud of black fumes. Zaerini didn’t know exactly what they would do if they hit her, but she didn’t doubt it would be deadly. Not pausing to think, she dropped to the ground, rolling, and the dragon breath just barely missed her.

When she got to her feet again, she found that Valygar and Anomen had been less lucky. The ranger and the priest were both on the ground, unconscious, and their faces looked far too pale and still for her liking.

Well, that’s an encouraging start. Not. :?

Hey, a mosquito may be small, but it still has a vicious bite! :)

Then, there was a loud cracking sound, a red flower of pain erupted inside her skull, and she thought no more.

*wince* They sure are taking a lot of pummeling. :(

Her searching fingers struck something. Something warm, and solid. A body. Small. Beard. Jan then, not Mazzy. She tried to check for a pulse, a breath, but she couldn’t be sure if she felt one or not.

Whoops… poor Jan, how did he manage to get himself flattened? :(

Hmm, I wonder if it’s too much to hope that his only injury would be a bitten-off tongue. :D

The dragon was over at the other side of the cave. Minsc, Mazzy and Jaheira were trying their best to injure it, but as far as she could tell they were all bleeding and looking rather weakened, while the dragon still seemed in fine form apart from some minor scratches.

Eddie better have taken down those stoneskins, or else the fighters will be doomed. :?

Your wizard did well, Softpaws approved. The cat was hiding somewhere close by, pressed into a crack in the wall so she wouldn’t get trampled. The beast can be hurt by magic now.

Lower Resistance is always a good choice against a dragon… especially when you stuff two of those in a juicy trigger together with Breach. :D

Once again, the dragon started its spell, unperturbed by the warriors battling it. Though their weapons did manage to create the occasional dent in its hard shell, no lasting damage had been done. It flapped its wings again, and Minsc and Jaheira were struck down, thrown clear across the cave. The half-elf winced as she saw Jaheira land on top of a cluster of stalagmites – there was blood trickling from the druid’s ears, and she didn’t get up again.

Ouch… well, I hope she’s unconscious at least, otherwise that must hurt like… oh… :)

Magic Missile to take down the false images? Ah, but you probably still need to know which of the five shapes to target, eh? :?

The sudden, cold knowledge came to her that they were going to die. All of them, here and now, it was only a matter of moments. She had a few minor spells left, but hardly enough to kill the dragon, even when paired with Edwin’s magic. The only warriors left standing were Minsc and Mazzy, and that couldn’t last for long. They were all going to die.

It certainly looks that way from how the battle has gone so far… and they can’t retreat either, with so many companions down heavily injured.

When all seems lost
We sense our doom

Yet our threads
Are still shining bright

Hear, you shadows
Lurking shade

Nice and competence inspiring. :D Unlike ‘Kill, kill, kill! Kill the naughty dragon!’ :D

Mazzy launched herself at the nearest dragon’s maws, no longer bothering to dodge and parry, simply trying for maximum damage. All the copies of the Shadow Dragon laughed, in a single voice, one like thick, oily black syrup, and five reeking mouths opened wide. The halfling disappeared inside one of them, not uttering a single sound, and the strong jaws snapped shut. The dragon chewed once, twice, making a ghastly crunching sound, and then it swallowed.

Awwww, poor Mazzy! :D

The Shadow Dragon screamed, a gurgling, choking scream, and its head thrashed desperately back and forth as it clutched and tore at its own throat. The enormous body was staggering back and forth, one of the illusions passing right through the startled half-elf, and the dragon screamed again. Then, it fell, crashing to the ground even as black blood poured forth from its nostrils and mouth. A final twitch of the tail, a shudder to the legs, a very loud and ponderous rumbling of the stomach – and it moved no more.

It choked on Mazzy… how appropriately fitting and in-character! ;)

Eww, gruesome! But her death served a purpose and it wasn’t empty… so, Mazzy could be proud of her achievement. ;)

“She was right…” Rini muttered, hardly knowing what she was saying, even as Edwin came up to her from behind, holding her tightly, supporting her. “She…she really was the Sword Arm of Arvoreen…”

LOL! Very naughty of you, Laufey! I heartily approve! :D :D :D

Ahum, maybe they can get healed before that? You do realize that Jaheira will be lying there and bleeding until the next Saturday? :)

;)

#4 Laufey

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:04 PM

I might be mistaken, but I think it is past tense, "you'd be fighting".

Hm...you could be right.

I was a bit confused here, on the question on whom the roar kept from hearing, Jaheira or Rini. Perhaps it would look better if it was "kept the bard" ?

*nods* Yes, that would make it clearer, you're right.

ROTFL ! :) I've tried to write one-liners for Minsc, and I now know how difficult it may be. I really think you're doing a great job, here. :D

Thanks! :)

Oh, that's most unpleasant. To wake up and find out that battle's not over yet.. no. :shock:

Wouldn't make things that easy for Rini, oh no. :)

Oh, yes, unfortunately a bard is a very weak character in BG2. :( Except for a 30-level Blade... :oops:

Actually, Rini was quite powerful once she got high enough a level - and could Use Any Item. :)

When all seems lost
We sense our doom

*AS Xan likes the song a lot* :D

I'm sure. :D

All the copies of the Shadow Dragon laughed, in a single voice, one like thick, oily black syrup, and five reeking mouths opened wide. The halfling disappeared inside one of them, not uttering a single sound, and the strong jaws snapped shut. The dragon chewed once, twice, making a ghastly crunching sound, and then it swallowed.

I swear I knew it ! I was peeling potatoes in the kitchen, two hours ago, and suddenly a thought came: "and the dragon will simply eat Mazzy". ;)

Mind reading! :D

Anyway, I feel really sorry for her. *sigh* :) Really.

I don't... :)

I didn't quite follow: did the sword pierce the dragon's brain?

Yes, it did, and the dragon also choked on Mazzy.

Perhaps this one will be easy, after the dragon. ;)

I would be very interested to know how Valygar in your story reacts on Mazzy's death; if you're not going to write about it specifically, could you please tell me?

Well, there might be some mention of it, and if that's not enough, just ask me again.

#5 Laufey

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:09 PM

*wince* They sure are taking a lot of pummeling. :D

Can't have them have it too easy. ;)

Her searching fingers struck something. Something warm, and solid. A body. Small. Beard. Jan then, not Mazzy. She tried to check for a pulse, a breath, but she couldn’t be sure if she felt one or not.

Whoops… poor Jan, how did he manage to get himself flattened? :D

Hmm, I wonder if it’s too much to hope that his only injury would be a bitten-off tongue. :)

Sorry, but his tongue is quite intact. :)

Lower Resistance is always a good choice against a dragon… especially when you stuff two of those in a juicy trigger together with Breach. :D

And then some Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. :D

Once again, the dragon started its spell, unperturbed by the warriors battling it. Though their weapons did manage to create the occasional dent in its hard shell, no lasting damage had been done. It flapped its wings again, and Minsc and Jaheira were struck down, thrown clear across the cave. The half-elf winced as she saw Jaheira land on top of a cluster of stalagmites – there was blood trickling from the druid’s ears, and she didn’t get up again.

Ouch… well, I hope she’s unconscious at least, otherwise that must hurt like… oh… :oops:

She's unconscious all right, doesn't feel a thing.

It certainly looks that way from how the battle has gone so far… and they can’t retreat either, with so many companions down heavily injured.

Nope...I went for a Desperate Last Stand here.

Hear, you shadows
Lurking shade

Nice and competence inspiring. :D Unlike ‘Kill, kill, kill! Kill the naughty dragon!’ :)

Or the Ugly Ogre. :D

Awwww, poor Mazzy! :D

Yes, such a shame. :shock:

It choked on Mazzy… how appropriately fitting and in-character! :)

I know *I've* choked on her a few times - it seemed appropriate.

Eww, gruesome! But her death served a purpose and it wasn’t empty… so, Mazzy could be proud of her achievement. :)

Undoubtedly. :D

LOL! Very naughty of you, Laufey! I heartily approve! :D :D :D

Thank you! :D

Ahum, maybe they can get healed before that? You do realize that Jaheira will be lying there and bleeding until the next Saturday? ;)

:)

Don't worry, Jaheira will be fine. :(

#6 Guest_RickTaylor_*

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:16 PM

Hi Laufey!

;) Good advice! Although she needs to tell us what to do if you really must fight a dragon.

Uh oh, this is not a good start.

;) We haven't heard from Lilarcor in a while (which is good; I can only take that sword in small doses).

Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit. We’re really going to die this time. And if we don’t I’ll kill that halfling myself.

:) Should have turned her into a newt.

:shock:

There was pain. Terrible throbbing pain in her head. She didn’t want to wake up. Didn’t want to so much as open her eyes.

Kitten, MOVE!

The mental nudge from her familiar was like a sharp spike inside her head, and it hurt. Still, it prodded her reluctant body into motion, forced herself onto her hands and knees, made them move. She tried opening her eyes, but they didn’t seem to work right, they were glued shut with something hot and sticky. Blood?

Nicely done: this account puts us in Rini's shoes.

I don’t know! Some are still on their feet, but I don’t think they’ll last much longer! You have to help them, or we’re all dead!

An all too realistic account of what happens when you wake up a dragon.

But where’s…yes! Thank the Gods!

Things are grim indeed when even seeing Rini doesn't break Eddie's concentration.

Always a good idea when fighting a dragon.

Edwin had taken advantage of the moment to launch a spell of his own, and several burning arrows flew at his command, piercing one of the large eyes, puncturing it like a rotten fruit. This time, the dragon’s roar was one of pain rather than fury.

Wow. He's in top form today.

A word of command, and yet another spider launched itself at the dragon, this one larger than those summoned by the conjurer. Khittix emerged from its figurine of power, attached itself to the dragon’s foot and bit down hard. Though the dragon easily swept the spider off, squashing it flat, it limped afterwards, showing that at least the poison had done some small damage.

I'd forgotten about Khittix. They're pulling out every last weapon they have.

Then, the Shadow Dragon’s maw opened again, and it hissed out a few short syllables, which were followed by a quick rippling of the air around it. Rini watched in horror as she suddenly found herself facing not one, but five Shadow Dragons, each one identical to the ones surrounding it.

Uh oh.

It does seem that way.

When all seems lost
We sense our doom

Yet our threads
Are still shining bright

Hear, you shadows
Lurking shade

Even as she sang, she could feel a sliver of new hope entering her heart, despite the despair of their situation, and she thought she could see a new sense of purpose and strength on her companions’ faces. On all of them, but one in particular, she could see it, hope mingled with desperation.

I'd forgotten about that as well.

:oops: :)

At least she was able to have vengeance, and to partially redeem herself after waking the thing up in the first place.

I'm a little confused. Did she kill the dragon after she died? Or I guess maybe the dragon bit down on her sword when it choked.

:) Not if it has any sense.

Shade Lord:
They killed my shadow dragon?!?!?!? (*runs off to book a one-way ticket to Icewind Dale*)

--Rick

#7 Guest_Melle_*

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:54 PM

Well done capturing the sheer scariness of a dragon. Bravo.

Only, let's see, eight dragons left in the game, is it? :shock:

And well done Mazzy, now that 's what I call two birds in one stone. :oops:

Oh, and I suspect Edwin will be quite insufferable now, seeing as how he was the only other person who actually did more than dent a few scales.

#8 Guest_Clovis_*

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

YOU are a FIEND! :oops:

Loved the chapter, and have to admit that was a pretty inventive way to do in Mazzy.

Hey, at least she killed a dragon and saved the party in the process of becoming an Hors'Doerve. :shock:

#9 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:12 AM

gah...improved small tooth pass from tactics mod...2 dragons at once...ascention abzegal...1 dragon, and a wyvern tougher than a dragon... :) :) :)

level drain breath...yoiks... :D

amazing how you can channel lilacor... :twisted:

There was a loud and contemptuous snort, and then the rushing sound of a great storm as the dragon spread its wings and flapped them. Rini only just had time to see both Minsc and Mazzy flying helplessly through the air before she was struck by what felt like a giant and very solid fist. She was thrown through the air like a rag doll, and as she saw the cave wall come hurtling towards her she had time enough for one thought.

wing buffet... :D

you'll have to stand in line...

The half-elf gritted her teeth, clutched the cold and slippery cave wall, and slowly, painfully slowly, pulled herself to her feet. She still needed support to stand, and her head still felt as if there were knives being twisted inside it, but first things first. Eyes. Must see, to fight.

yeah...it usually helps..

lower resistance...

yep...high level burning arrow...one of my favorites... :D

spell disrupt..

mirror image...

:cry: :cry: :lol:

I kinda expected her to burst out of the dragon's chest, like in "Alien"... :D :D

oh dear god...you wrote this story that way to make the joke work, right?
:D :)

daystar time... :( :D :D

#10 Laufey

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:54 PM

[quote]Hi Laufey!
[/quote]

Heya! :twisted:

[quote]
[quote]Don’t fight dragons, that’s all I say. Sure, it may sound romantic, but it’s not. Not unless you especially like being bitten in half and turned into dragon poop. And never, ever make the mistake of thinking dragons are just big lizards. Dragons are clever, and it’s a safe bet that the one you’ll be fighting was eating adventurers smarter and stronger than yourself before you got your first wooden sword.
[/quote]
:D Good advice! Although she needs to tell us what to do if you really must fight a dragon.
[/quote]

She'll show us instead. :D

Rini: Um...run around, and nearly get killed?

[quote]
[quote]Minsc, meanwhile, was charging the dragon, Lilarcor lifted high in the air. The sword she could hear, and it was shouting something about ‘Icky Picky Dragon Poo, Raise me up and stab me True!’ Mazzy was stabbing at the dragon’s left hind foot, tears of fury streaming down her face, although it didn’t look as if she was making much of an impact.
[/quote]
:D We haven't heard from Lilarcor in a while (which is good; I can only take that sword in small doses).
[/quote]

Same here - I remind myself to write him in now and then, but I can't take him for *too* long. :D

[quote]

[/quote]
Nicely done: this account puts us in Rini's shoes.
[/quote]

Thanks! :)

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[quote]

[/quote]
An all too realistic account of what happens when you wake up a dragon.
[/quote]

Oh yes, first time I fought this battle, the entire party was wiped out. And second, and third time.

[quote]
[quote]But where’s…yes! Thank the Gods!
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]
Things are grim indeed when even seeing Rini doesn't break Eddie's concentration.
[/quote]

No, he knows just how serious things are.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
Wow. He's in top form today.
[/quote]

Yes, he's got his moments. :)

[quote]
[quote]The sudden, cold knowledge came to her that they were going to die. All of them, here and now, it was only a matter of moments. She had a few minor spells left, but hardly enough to kill the dragon, even when paired with Edwin’s magic. The only warriors left standing were Minsc and Mazzy, and that couldn’t last for long. They were all going to die.
[/quote]
It does seem that way.
[/quote]

I wanted to impress on the reader just how dangerous a dragon battle is - it's easy to get blasé about it, having fought it a few dozen times.

[quote]
[quote]The Shadow Dragon screamed, a gurgling, choking scream, and its head thrashed desperately back and forth as it clutched and tore at its own throat. The enormous body was staggering back and forth, one of the illusions passing right through the startled half-elf, and the dragon screamed again. Then, it fell, crashing to the ground even as black blood poured forth from its nostrils and mouth. A final twitch of the tail, a shudder to the legs, a very loud and ponderous rumbling of the stomach – and it moved no more.
[/quote]
At least she was able to have vengeance, and to partially redeem herself after waking the thing up in the first place.
[/quote]

Yes, I thought it was fitting. :)

[quote]
[quote]But…wait. There was something. Something small, stuck to the roof of the dragon’s mouth. A sword. A fairly short sword, but long enough to penetrate to vital structures. And there, still clinging to it, even in death, yes, there it was. A small, white hand, all that was left of Mazzy Fentan.
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]
I'm a little confused. Did she kill the dragon after she died? Or I guess maybe the dragon bit down on her sword when it choked.
[/quote]

Well, the dragon choked on her, *and* got nailed by her sword. Perhaps I can make that clearer.

[quote]
[quote]Next: The Shade Lord awaits[/quote]
:) Not if it has any sense.
[/quote]

[quote]
Shade Lord:
They killed my shadow dragon?!?!?!? (*runs off to book a one-way ticket to Icewind Dale*)
[/quote]

[quote]
--Rick[/quote]

LOL! :D

#11 Laufey

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:55 PM

Well done capturing the sheer scariness of a dragon. Bravo.

Thanks! :D

Only, let's see, eight dragons left in the game, is it? :twisted:

They'll be busy for quite some time. :D

And well done Mazzy, now that 's what I call two birds in one stone. :D

Indeed. :D

Oh, and I suspect Edwin will be quite insufferable now, seeing as how he was the only other person who actually did more than dent a few scales.

He might have, but he won't have much time for it...

#12 Laufey

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:55 PM

YOU are a FIEND! :D

Thank you! :D

Loved the chapter, and have to admit that was a pretty inventive way to do in Mazzy.

Glad you liked it!

Hey, at least she killed a dragon and saved the party in the process of becoming an Hors'Doerve. :twisted:

So she did, I thought it seemed fitting. She is a warrior, after all. And who knows, she may have a part to play yet...

#13 Laufey

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:58 PM

gah...improved small tooth pass from tactics mod...2 dragons at once...ascention abzegal...1 dragon, and a wyvern tougher than a dragon... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Improved Abazigal...that one is *bad*.

amazing how you can channel lilacor... :shock:

Thank you. :oops: At least I *think* it was a compliment. :wink:

lower resistance...

Always necessary.

yep...high level burning arrow...one of my favorites... :(

I always love that one. :wink:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:D

I kinda expected her to burst out of the dragon's chest, like in "Alien"... :P :twisted:

No, not that. :wink:

oh dear god...you wrote this story that way to make the joke work, right?
:shock: :shock:

Other way around - I inserted the phrase to work with the fate I had already planned for her.

daystar time... :shock: :shock: :shock:

And time for something else as well...

#14 Guest_Wyvern_*

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:12 PM

Her searching fingers struck something. Something warm, and solid. A body. Small. Beard. Jan then, not Mazzy. She tried to check for a pulse, a breath, but she couldn’t be sure if she felt one or not. Her fingers felt oddly numb, and they were trembling. Somewhere to her right, she could hear the dragon, roaring again, and somebody screaming.

if this was Mazzy I could believe she was dead, but Jan? No, he's alive.
And what a thing to wake up to :(

Edwin's in fine form. And I'll bet no one but Rini noticed.

Bits and pieces of old songs floated unbidden to the forefront of her mind, one in particular. Well, why not? She thought as she readied her bow, prepared to replace magic with magical arrows. Seems fitting enough. And it might even help.

Her Bard song, I had almost forgotten Rini could do that.

Your Mazzy might be irritating, but she's brave enough.

*wince* really Rini. I'll chalk that one up to battle fatigue :shock:

#15 Laufey

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:05 PM

if this was Mazzy I could believe she was dead, but Jan? No, he's alive.
And what a thing to wake up to :(

Oh, by the time he wakes up it'll all be over.

Edwin's in fine form. And I'll bet no one but Rini noticed.

No - they were either busy or unconscious. :P

Her Bard song, I had almost forgotten Rini could do that.

Well, she does have certain voice tricks, but I haven't used the regular song all that much.

Your Mazzy might be irritating, but she's brave enough.

*nods* Loathsome as I find her, I never thought she was anything but brave.

*wince* really Rini. I'll chalk that one up to battle fatigue :shock:

Blame it on me - I *had* to use it. :D

#16 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:18 PM

Ouch. Not a good way to start off a battle.

I have a feeling there was a lot more to Mazzy's tears than fury, but that's just me.

*Very* not good.

It's darn hard to damage those things, at least before you start getting some of the really mondo weapons.

Good for Edwin, he kept his mind on business rather than freak out over Rini's condition.

I remember having to keep my characters moving during this fight.

Once again, the dragon started its spell, unperturbed by the warriors battling it. Though their weapons did manage to create the occasional dent in its hard shell, no lasting damage had been done. It flapped its wings again, and Minsc and Jaheira were struck down, thrown clear across the cave. The half-elf winced as she saw Jaheira land on top of a cluster of stalagmites – there was blood trickling from the druid’s ears, and she didn’t get up again. Minsc was reeling, but he still came at the dragon, face twisted up with berserker fury. Mazzy had managed to cling to a nearby rock, and kept from being swept aside, but had to spend all her energy on dodging the dragon’s teeth and claws, and couldn’t land a single blow in return.

Ow! Anomen would be going nuts right now... if he was awake, that is.

Every adventurer has those moments. This was expressed really well. Those fights when most of your party is down and you wonder how in the world you can possibly make it. (I just played the Sendai fight. At the end only Jarran, Imoen and Anomen were standing, and they were in rough shape.)

A lot of people underestimate the power of the bardsong, but I've turned the tide of battles just by having Jarran start singing.

Well, that's one way to get over Patrick's loss.

Hehehe. At least it didn't have to choke on Anomen's plate mail.

A sadly fitting end.

Great chapter!

#17 Laufey

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

[quote][quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Ouch. Not a good way to start off a battle.
[/quote]

Very much not good.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
I have a feeling there was a lot more to Mazzy's tears than fury, but that's just me.
[/quote]

Perhaps...we will never know.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
It's darn hard to damage those things, at least before you start getting some of the really mondo weapons.
[/quote]

Very. The Shadow Dragon killed me *many* times, when I first fought it.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Good for Edwin, he kept his mind on business rather than freak out over Rini's condition.
[/quote]

Yes, this once I let him be sensible. :D

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Ow! Anomen would be going nuts right now... if he was awake, that is.
[/quote]

Good thing he isn't, really. :P

[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Every adventurer has those moments. This was expressed really well. Those fights when most of your party is down and you wonder how in the world you can possibly make it. (I just played the Sendai fight. At the end only Jarran, Imoen and Anomen were standing, and they were in rough shape.)
[/quote]

Thanks! :twisted: Yes, in this chapter I wanted to get across that feeling of 'they really could die here.' Guess it worked well enough.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
A lot of people underestimate the power of the bardsong, but I've turned the tide of battles just by having Jarran start singing.
[/quote]

*nods* In ToB, Rini was insanely powerful, and the bardsong is not to be underestimated even in SoA.

[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Well, that's one way to get over Patrick's loss.
[/quote]

At least it's quick. :(

[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
A sadly fitting end.
[/quote]

And it's not *quite* over yet...

[quote]
Great chapter![/quote]

Thank you! :shock:

#18 Guest_Maid Of Many Names_*

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:14 PM

That is one hell of a way to go! There isn't any coming back from that either!

I have to give you major points for the realistic and very gritty dragon battle scene. Battles are tough to write but this is a great example of translating gameplay battle into more realistic terms. Besides, dragons are supposed to be some of the most challenging creatures to kill in the Realms, and I must say that you did them justice. I loved the wooden swords comment, btw.

Given the creepy way Mazzy was acting, I have to say I'm rather glad she can't be resurrected. Your vision of Mazzy was amazing, though. She was one of the characters that I appreciated but didn't really get into. You gave a whole new dimension to Mazzy and it really blew me. The most amazing thing was just how plausible it was. Then again, I have to wonder about all those knights in shining armor, despite my fondness for Keldorn.

Maid Of Many Names.

#19 Laufey

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:41 PM

That is one hell of a way to go! There isn't any coming back from that either!

No, not in one piece, at least. :shock:

I have to give you major points for the realistic and very gritty dragon battle scene. Battles are tough to write but this is a great example of translating gameplay battle into more realistic terms. Besides, dragons are supposed to be some of the most challenging creatures to kill in the Realms, and I must say that you did them justice. I loved the wooden swords comment, btw.

Thanks very much! I always find battle scenes difficult, I need to work on making them feel realistic, so I'm glad you think I succeeded, and that the scariness of the dragon came across.

Given the creepy way Mazzy was acting, I have to say I'm rather glad she can't be resurrected. Your vision of Mazzy was amazing, though. She was one of the characters that I appreciated but didn't really get into. You gave a whole new dimension to Mazzy and it really blew me. The most amazing thing was just how plausible it was. Then again, I have to wonder about all those knights in shining armor, despite my fondness for Keldorn.

Maid Of Many Names.

Glad you enjoyed my portrayal of Mazzy. :( I don't like her, but I did try to make her believable in the way she acted.

#20 Guest_Shian_*

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:49 AM

:) That's rather depressing... I guess I'm just used to everyone making it out ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users