Reply Counts and Click Counts

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_RickTaylor_*

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:29 AM

So talk to me. Does the ability to look at other people's numbers serve any purpose except as a firestarter? Is there a better way to provide for that need than the counters?

I'm kind of late to the party, and this isn't a big issue for me, but here are my two cents.

It's nice to see how many views my own stories have gotten; it's gratifying knowing people are reading things I've written even if they haven't commented. I don't feel I need to see how many views other peoples' stories have gotten.

However, I like seeing reply counts. If a story has no replies, I might even be more likely to give it a look to encourage the author. But it's not a big issue.

--Rick

#62 Guest_Reality-Helix_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:20 AM

Yeesh. People really do that? Huh. I just uses the post replied to see if anyone has had something to say. Aww, heck, I'm new to all this anyway, so what do I know right? :shock:

#63 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:01 AM

I'd like to see this Board move towards a format where each author has his or her own "page" for story posting and a guest book for comments.

Hmm? I guess this idea has quietly died out? I might even overcome my misanthropic nature and post more actively it this was implemented.

(Heh -- not that anybody here would seriously want me back :wink: )

As for the click-counts, eh, in my observation majority of the Attic populace always claim they don't care, but feel devastated when they got < 100 clicks per story. I myself do care. I would have stopped writing years ago if not for the emails I periodically get from the readers and the click counter on the Ashes page. After all, if you suck you want to know for sure. :shock:

#64 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:01 AM

As for the click-counts, eh, in my observation majority of the Attic populace always claim they don't care, but feel devastated when they got < 100 clicks per story. I myself do care. I would have stopped writing years ago if not for the emails I periodically get from the readers and the click counter on the Ashes page. After all, if you suck you want to know for sure. :shock:

You do not suck! :wink:

(Ah, what is the point? You know you do not, I know you do not - therefore, elaborating on the point it is a hopeless enterprise, to say the least.)

My own problem is that my own click counters are visible to other people. It makes me sad, it makes me mad, it makes me upset - but certainly, I can live with it. ("Ne dozhdetes" - "I won't kill myself because of it".) Hell, they are mine! Nobody else got the damn right to see my own click counters.

#65 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:14 AM

I'd like to see this Board move towards a format where each author has his or her own "page" for story posting and a guest book for comments.

Hmm? I guess this idea has quietly died out? I might even overcome my misanthropic nature and post more actively it this was implemented.

Real Life sucks.

As do the available mods for our site software. Two of our primary mods for the board -- threading and the multi-level forum mod that is the basis of the Cellar setup -- simply don't work with some of the other mods I'd really like to bring in. And quite a bit of mod development was abandoned when the phpBB dev team announced intentions of integrating the many of the features into the next major release. Unfortunately, that next major release is looking more and more like vaporware.

Even were phpBB 3 available now, the database changes are substantial enough that importing messages from phpBB 2 boards would be a major headache, and we would be better served by starting over. The devs gave up on maintaining database compatibility several months ago.

Since we'd be forced into a complete overhaul anyway, I've been evaluating other software.

I think I'll be in a position to begin taking a lunch break again soon, which will allow me to budget a little more time for this project, and maybe then get things to the point where I have it specced out well enough to share the workload.

#66 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:49 PM

I have to humbly admit that I know nothing of messageboard soft, dtabases or PhP. It just happened so that I never had to deal with it -- the only package I remotely meddled with was Invision Power Board, and the only database I ever used was antiquited version of ORACLE. :evil:

But if you think participation can improve chances of getting Attic rehauled to the more writer-oriented interface -- I will learn.

I know a few other very serious programmers around here who I am sure would offer their services as well.

#67 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:09 PM

I have to humbly admit that I know nothing of messageboard soft, dtabases or PhP. It just happened so that I never had to deal with it -- the only package I remotely meddled with was Invision Power Board, and the only database I ever used was antiquited version of ORACLE. :evil:

It's been a learn-on-the-job experience, believe me. The only reason I had any familiarity with SQL, coming into this project, is that AutoDesk uses it for AutoCAD Map and the Map interface with ESRI databases.

I wasted an awful lot of time trying to make the current postnuke setup work only to be stymied by promising mods being abandoned half-finished.

But if you think participation can improve chances of getting Attic rehauled to the more writer-oriented interface -- I will learn.

I know a few other very serious programmers around here who I am sure would offer their services as well.

I'm checking out a portal/board system now while waiting for a very promising CMS that is expected to go to beta late next month. The CMS is supposed to integrate well with the portal/board set.

User interface and/or board integration has killed every one I've tried so far. Ideally, we should be able to use the board as a gateway into the CMS, building the novels archives from a Cellar-style setup.

If I can squeeze out the time to do the proof-of-concept before the CMS goes beta, and I like what I see, I'll probably start calling in volunteers then. I may go live with a partial setup and ask that we do some things manually while we work on automating them.

I just don't want to get people started working while I'm still making up my mind, and assembling a proof-of-concept fifteen minutes at a time isn't conducive to a quick decision.

#68 Guest_Reality-Helix_*

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:57 PM

[quote name="Melle"][quote name="Laufey"][quote]

Evil Underling Application Form

Position sought: Henchman Gasping concubine in chains

[/quote]

Aww, I'd try out, but I just don't do "Gasping concubine" very well. I'm more of a "punch you in the nose for touching me there without my permission" kind of concubine...

Maybe I'd fit the requsite "Crazy minion" part. Or heck, join the heroes. It doesn't seem to matter what mental/emotional/personality disorder you have, they will take you along anyway!

Look at every character in Baldur's gate. Now name me one who doesn't have some sort of problem.

#69 Guest_Shian_*

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:27 PM

Look at every character in Baldur's gate. Now name me one who doesn't have some sort of problem.

Did you expect them not to? :P C'mon, everyone has problems, that's life! LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com