Reply Counts and Click Counts

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:03 PM

I can only imagine that he's never seen Laufey. :lol:

Umm, I think it's because Slide's a 'she', not 'he'... :D

OK, she. This is an issue? ;)

Hmm. Maybe I've been hanging out with Darkrose too much.

Nahhh.

In all seriousness, I wish English had a neuter pronoun I could use when I want to say "I'm having a brain fart and can't remember which pronoun to use for this person with the gender-ambiguous name and avatar." I know "they" has been in use for such circumstances for centuries, but I had enough proscriptivist grammar teachers in elementary school to have been mostly broken of using it in written communications.

#42 Laufey

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:21 PM

Edit: As I hit the post button, I realize this means I'm horribly disqualified for a position of minion. Could I try out as henchman instead? You know, the guy who actually gives the hero a somewhat challenging fight and/or sells you out to him?

Doesn't that mean you're obliged to die in some really, really embarrasing way, and not get to enjoy the fruits of your treachery?
Rogues do it from behind.

#43 Laufey

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:24 PM

Whoa, Laufey mentions bribery and sex, and you want the bribes?
Priorities, man, priorities!

Ah, you flatterer, you! :D *poses evilly and provocatively*

#44 Guest_Melle_*

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:14 PM

Edit: As I hit the post button, I realize this means I'm horribly disqualified for a position of minion. Could I try out as henchman instead? You know, the guy who actually gives the hero a somewhat challenging fight and/or sells you out to him?

Doesn't that mean you're obliged to die in some really, really embarrasing way, and not get to enjoy the fruits of your treachery?

Well, yeah. But it's no worse than the fate of a faceless minion, and I get better pay and privilegies.

There really aren't all that many good positions for Evil Underlings... no wait, I've got it. Let me just have that application form back for a moment.

Evil Underling Application Form

Position sought: Henchman Gasping concubine in chains

See, now if you're overthrown not only will I go free, but the heroine will be most sympathetic about how callously you've been using me. I like to call this a win-win situation.

#45 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:11 PM

Actually, it would be more that I missed the 'sex' part. Clearly I have my priorities messed up.

Can I just go for both?

P.S. Methinks I need a new avatar. :D

#46 Laufey

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:16 PM

Evil Underling Application Form

Position sought: Henchman Gasping concubine in chains

See, now if you're overthrown not only will I go free, but the heroine will be most sympathetic about how callously you've been using me. I like to call this a win-win situation.

Heh heh, works for me. :D

#47 Weyoun

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:11 PM

Whoa, Laufey mentions bribery and sex, and you want the bribes?
Priorities, man, priorities!

Ah, you flatterer, you! :oops: *poses evilly and provocatively*

In a certain red t-shirt? :D :twisted:
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#48 Laufey

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:28 PM

Ah, you flatterer, you! :oops: *poses evilly and provocatively*

In a certain red t-shirt? :D :twisted:

Of course, I promised, didn't I? :oops:

#49 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:16 PM

Of course, I was the guy going one on one with Star Destroyers for fun when playing the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games.

Heh heh. Me, too...

But then I switched to Nebulon B frigates since they were harder. You couldn't just trash the shield generators with your six torpedoes, zap the now-unshielded hull with ion cannon fire, and then pick apart the rest of the hull at your leisure. :twisted:

OK, she. This is an issue?

(Chuckle)

Now that's a great way to think. :D

In all seriousness, I wish English had a neuter pronoun I could use when I want to say "I'm having a brain fart and can't remember which pronoun to use for this person with the gender-ambiguous name and avatar."

Friend of mine insisted on using "y'all" because he didn't like how English didn't have a distinct pronoun for "you - plural"... it's a failure of the language, and it's not our fault. So even if it's wrong, go ahead and use "they." And if all those English teachers complain, tell them to go fix the language instead of giving you grief about it.

:oops:

#50 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:23 AM

Friend of mine insisted on using "y'all" because he didn't like how English didn't have a distinct pronoun for "you - plural"... it's a failure of the language, and it's not our fault. So even if it's wrong, go ahead and use "they." And if all those English teachers complain, tell them to go fix the language instead of giving you grief about it.

Heh. Several of those English teachers are almost certainly dead by now.

Besides, it's not the teachers so much as that I really don't even think about it. A three-decade-long habit is hard to break. :D

#51 Guest_jcompton_*

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:38 AM

Disabling the display of post and reply counts won't turn that feature off in the software--the database will continue to track it. Meaning anybody with access to the database will continue to be able to see it. Meaning anybody who cares about it enough to have made it into this big sticky-thread crisis will know that someone, somewhere out there knows who gets more clicks. And they'll then try to find out. And, being rebuffed, will assume that their Bitter Writing Enemies enjoy the privilege instead.

Really, even if you hacked the feature right out of phpBB, likely the people who are Just That Worried About It wouldn't believe you did so anyway. Because they're Just That Worried About It. (so you say, anyway.)

Taking any action, even the relatively minor act of editing the forum template(s), doesn't really seem worth it since anybody worrying about it will continue to worry about it in some form or another.

#52 Guest_Maidros_*

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:39 AM

Disabling the display of post and reply counts won't turn that feature off in the software--the database will continue to track it. Meaning anybody with access to the database will continue to be able to see it. Meaning anybody who cares about it enough to have made it into this big sticky-thread crisis will know that someone, somewhere out there knows who gets more clicks. And they'll then try to find out. And, being rebuffed, will assume that their Bitter Writing Enemies enjoy the privilege instead.

Yes, it is possible to spoof any protection. And it is possible to add on a third software to count the clicks if someone were really that desperate. But if I understand OG correctly, she is trying to make the feature less conspicuous.
Regards,
Maidros

#53 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:48 PM

Really, even if you hacked the feature right out of phpBB, likely the people who are Just That Worried About It wouldn't believe you did so anyway. Because they're Just That Worried About It. (so you say, anyway.)

Taking any action, even the relatively minor act of editing the forum template(s), doesn't really seem worth it since anybody worrying about it will continue to worry about it in some form or another.

All true. And I can't fix whatever it is that makes people worry about it.

What I can do is remove the trigger for those who wouldn't worry about it quite so much if it weren't waved in their face.

(If I can get this townhome community out the door so I can have a couple of hours of uninterrupted time to finish setting up a database for testing. Deadlines, deadlines.)

As for those who are worried enough to try hacking into the database, well, that's their choice, now isn't it?

OK, time to get back to sizing sediment traps.

#54 Guest_Fountain_the_D_*

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:28 PM

Well I shall be a tad different then most replies I saw here.

I do care about view counts. This is why I belief that those should not be visible. Response counts don't matter; it's the view counts that get to me. I admit; I am very weak to that point and fret when the comment/view counts don't 'even' out.

So yeah; if possible I wouldn't complain at all if that portion could be disabled. I know it would ease my overly nervous mind since I indeed only worry if it's waved in my face.

Out of sight out of mind? yes, I do belief so. :cry:

#55 Guest_Melle_*

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:00 PM

Well I shall be a tad different then most replies I saw here.

I do care about view counts. This is why I belief that those should not be visible. Response counts don't matter; it's the view counts that get to me. I admit; I am very weak to that point and fret when the comment/view counts don't 'even' out.

So yeah; if possible I wouldn't complain at all if that portion could be disabled. I know it would ease my overly nervous mind since I indeed only worry if it's waved in my face.

Out of sight out of mind? yes, I do belief so. :cry:

Me, I like the view count for precisely that reason. Because not everyone comments everything they read, the view count tells me that I haven't been wasting my time even if I get few comments.

Well, that's what they've been telling me so far. Fingers crossed. :(

Oh, and nervous person, don't forget that a large difference in counts isn't necessarily bad, not when people are using thread view and maybe clicking around a bit to read comments and replies.

#56 Guest_Fountain_the_D_*

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:30 PM

true, never thought of it that way....

Still I remember my personal favourite story I wrote years ago at another place. A total of... *Goes to check the site quickly* 888 people.. that's about 200 more then when I left there, had read the story. Of those 888, only 8 people commented on it. Not counting myself.

Alas, Alas. Woe is me and all the angst and that stuff. :cry: Still, we shall see how it all goes here and wether click counts shall stay or go. *nod nods*

#57 Guest_jcompton_*

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:17 PM

As for those who are worried enough to try hacking into the database, well, that's their choice, now isn't it?

That wasn't where I was going. I meant something a little more likely and accessible: that you and Leo and whomever else could still see it, and people would know you could still see it, and begin begging and pleading for a hint, get huffy when you don't give it out, blah blah blah.

I think this is a real "get over yourself" issue for writers. If they feel underexposed, they should post their writing in more places. Excluding the likes of ff.net which I know a lot of people don't go for, there are at least 10 other BG-themed boards which take fanfic postings. Maybe they'll catch on as the belle of the ball on one or more of those.

#58 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:24 PM

That wasn't where I was going. I meant something a little more likely and accessible: that you and Leo and whomever else could still see it, and people would know you could still see it, and begin begging and pleading for a hint, get huffy when you don't give it out, blah blah blah.

Perhaps you didn't read the proposal all that carefully? I have no intention of blocking someone from seeing the view clicks on their own stories, just on other people's.

I'm sure you can imagine my reaction to someone begging and pleading for a hint of how someone else's story is doing.

I think this is a real "get over yourself" issue for writers.

That sounds an awful lot like "they need to grow up" or "they need a thicker skin".

You already know my opinion of that, too.

If they feel underexposed, they should post their writing in more places. Excluding the likes of ff.net which I know a lot of people don't go for, there are at least 10 other BG-themed boards which take fanfic postings. Maybe they'll catch on as the belle of the ball on one or more of those.

I was wondering when you'd get around to that. I am surprised you were so subtle in advertising your own board as a possible haven for those people I'm shamefully mistreating here. Repressing, even.

*break for an obPython moment*

I do think it's interesting how we tend to collect refugees from those other boards. Forex, I've seen what you've done to people who contributed pro-Anomen stories to boards you used to hang out on. I, OTOH, will defend someone's right to center stories even around characters I loathe. (I can't guarantee I'll see a problem in a timely manner, of course; I have a Real Life, too. Plus, I'm not always sure where the writer draws the line between banter and harassment, so it's a good idea to tip me off if someone does start stirring things up in your story thread.)

Rudeness, I can do something about. I'm not the final arbiter of anyone's taste but my own.

I've said it before: if you're writing so you can be belle of the ball, you're writing for the wrong reasons. 99% of the time, it'll show in your writing, and you won't get the attention you seek in the first place.

#59 Guest_Fountain_the_D_*

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:25 PM

Ooooooohhh, this is about preventing you from seeing how many clicks someone elses story has received.

My mistake. Then I say no; I have no problem what so ever with knowing how many looks someone else gets. :wink:

#60 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:52 PM

Ooooooohhh, this is about preventing you from seeing how many clicks someone elses story has received.

Yes. Having everyone's scorecard out in the open seems to set off some sort of competitive urges with some people.

My mistake. Then I say no; I have no problem what so ever with knowing how many looks someone else gets. :wink:

:roll: What I have in mind is to give people access to their own counts if they want them, probably with some sort of index of their own topics, and taking it completely off the main index. If it matters to you, it's there; if it doesn't, you don't have to go look it up.

But I forsee increasingly vehement demands that the forum's "leaders" give everyone comments if people don't have access to their counters. Demands that I somehow force people to read/comment on this or that story are already a problem; I don't want to make that worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com