Reply Counts and Click Counts

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Laufey

Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:14 AM

I don't understand the argument myself. I read stories because I like the writing style (or because brevity has been promised--a big selling point for me), not because of a number on a screen.

The argument is that new people have a tendency to explore the most popular stories first. I can't argue with that; at most fic sites, it's a pretty good pointer toward the higher quality stories.

And then, of course, they are somehow magically *forced* to continue reading those stories, even if we all know there are *really* those who are oh so much more deserving.

/end sarcasm
Rogues do it from behind.

#22 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:36 PM

I don't understand the argument myself. I read stories because I like the writing style (or because brevity has been promised--a big selling point for me), not because of a number on a screen.

The argument is that new people have a tendency to explore the most popular stories first. I can't argue with that; at most fic sites, it's a pretty good pointer toward the higher quality stories.

And then, of course, they are somehow magically *forced* to continue reading those stories, even if we all know there are *really* those who are oh so much more deserving.

/end sarcasm

Whoever invented the "mind control" circlets, I have to hand that individual credit. :?: And to think I'd believed all this time that I had my own mind and was capable of making my own decisions in an intelligent and logical manner. Seriously, though, I just wonder whether the proponents of the "click counts influence what we read" argument realize exactly how insulted I feel about that? I guess they do now.

Anyways, I am wondering if any of those circlets are for sale...come in right handy at my current job.

#23 Laufey

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:36 PM

This is where a lot of the arguments lose me, because an assumption starts creeping in that the most popular stories here don't deserve to be. There are popular stories in every fandom that don't meet my personal criteria of "good"; that doesn't give me the right to demand that they not be written/shared.

Well, I put this argument down to human nature, myself. If the Attic was some sort of RL corporation, there would be people insisting that those writers like myself who happen to be well read, only are that because we bribe people. Or have sex with them. Possibly both.

I hardly think it's worthwhile arguing against it either - people are very good at believing what they *want* to believe.

#24 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:21 PM

Wait, there were bribes available for reading? And nobody told me?

Damn!

On another note, I wouldn't mind if the click counter would disappear. The reply counter should probably stay, but the click counter can cause paranoia and, to be frank, I don't think we lose a lot by removing it.

Though it's not as if I'll throw a hissyfit one way or the other.

#25 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:35 PM

This is where a lot of the arguments lose me, because an assumption starts creeping in that the most popular stories here don't deserve to be. There are popular stories in every fandom that don't meet my personal criteria of "good"; that doesn't give me the right to demand that they not be written/shared.

Well, I put this argument down to human nature, myself. If the Attic was some sort of RL corporation, there would be people insisting that those writers like myself who happen to be well read, only are that because we bribe people. Or have sex with them. Possibly both.

Er. They wouldn't do it in public, anyway.

I hardly think it's worthwhile arguing against it either - people are very good at believing what they *want* to believe.

No, but I do have to investigate any allegations of misconduct.

That's what has really worn down my patience. If I could get away from refereeing this "competition", I could get the site revamped so as to make it less of an issue. KotOR Fanfic is built around a concept similar to the one I pitched to Q way back when; we're just too big to do the entire site by hand like they do.

#26 Laufey

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:49 PM

Whoever invented the "mind control" circlets, I have to hand that individual credit. :oops: And to think I'd believed all this time that I had my own mind and was capable of making my own decisions in an intelligent and logical manner. Seriously, though, I just wonder whether the proponents of the "click counts influence what we read" argument realize exactly how insulted I feel about that? I guess they do now.

Anyways, I am wondering if any of those circlets are for sale...come in right handy at my current job.

Well, you see, I manufacture those mind control circlets in my underground lair, where I have great big machines to which I hook up all those 'deserving' people and drain their brains. I then use the circlets to totally manipulate all you poor mortals into reading my own stuff.

*maniacal evil cackle*

#27 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:27 PM

Well, you see, I manufacture those mind control circlets in my underground lair, where I have great big machines to which I hook up all those 'deserving' people and drain their brains. I then use the circlets to totally manipulate all you poor mortals into reading my own stuff.

*maniacal evil cackle*

Dang, is that how you do it? I had to get my readers to polish my shoes the hard way! :oops:

Hehehe, my world and welcome to it.

#28 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:42 PM

*maniacal evil cackle*

Dang, is that how you do it? I had to get my readers to polish my shoes the hard way! :oops:

Yes, and she was quite surprised when Darkrose took the whip away from her.

#29 Laufey

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:45 PM

*maniacal evil cackle*

Hehehe, my world and welcome to it.

Oh, don't I know it. And to perfect my Evil Mastermind image, I shall create a tiny clone of myself, that will do the hard work of 'sucking up' to people by commenting on their stories. And I will name it 'Mini Laufey', and it will be very cute and disarming, yet utterly vicious and capable of stabbing people's hands with a fork if they don't feed it chocolate.

Me, I will only recant if the people of the Attic give me... *dramatic pause* One MILLION Dollars!

I won't shave my head though. Or wear that drab grey outfit. *sucks pinky finger*

#30 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 06:58 PM

Guys, I want to thank all of you for great laughs and more. I have been, in between of celebrating Easter with my family, moped over the insults that took away my joy of participating the Attic, made me feel guilty of my commenting patterns and made me consider lurking.

Thanks for helping to return my sense of proportion. Just because some people have the nerve to make appalling insults doesn't mean I have to take the insults seriously or let them influence my behavior. That some people I have respect for made these insults along with the trolls is unfortunate, but well - even respectworthy people can be wrong sometimes. They do certainly not know why and whom I comment, and if they think they do know I am a suck-up, liar and a shallow person it will have to be their loss. I have seen enough lack of kindness and light-heartedness to not sneer at either qualities in life, nor do I see them as automatically at odds with taking writing seriously and wanting to improve.

Darn it, I'll stay and try to get over my hurt feelings.

As for the clicks, I don't give a flying expletive deleted as long as I can see my own clicks should I happen to write a story. But I am sure that if people want to whine about the wrong people getting too much attention they will find another way to 'justify' themselves and pester the mods just as much as before.

#31 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:52 PM

I'd much rather be working on the Novels Pages or (dare I say it out loud?) my own writing.

::chants:: Blue Screen, Blue Screen, Blue Screen. I *really* want to see more of Anomen and Yoshi's further (mis-)adventures in the modern US of A. Novels Pages? Buena suerte.

There was another story that Darkrose was working on that I was enjoying, too: something about Saerk's daughter getting revenge against Sir Anomen. I wonder if she's continued writing. Haven’t seen anything here.

Oh, okay. I didn't quite understand that. Thanks for explaining it to me. At the TF.net & the Pit, I usually go to my favorite authors and click on *their* favorite authors. It just seems that, at least at those venues, good authors tend to recognize one another. I can only imagine the reception a "favorite authors" field would get here.

Yeah, whenever I see the "deserve" word I start to cringe. It is so subjective. Who decides what story "deserves" its "fame," and what story doesn't? It sounds very elitist to me, sort of along the lines of: *I* know what good literature is, but the unwashed masses don't. ::sigh:: Just let the readers read who/what they want, and give them credit for being able to make up their own minds on it.

I am sorry that every story can't be universally adored -- it would certainly spare us all a lot of aggravation.

#32 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:54 PM

*maniacal evil cackle*

Um, you're not hiring, are you? Because making those devices sounds like a way cooler job than where I'm currently at, and plus there's the perq of absolutely no sunlight. Sun exposure has been linked to a lot of bad stuff. And who knows? Maybe I can get an employee discount on those circlets. Hand them out at family get-togethers; what fun! And pray tell, what is the retirement plan like? Any profit sharing?

So...let me see if I get things straight. I'm too stupid to figure out what works to read on my own, because I *somehow* let numbers screw up my judgement. On the other hand, I'm supposed to be intelligent enough to provide a literate, in depth review of each story I peruse. Umm ????

Does not compute, does not compute, does not com--

::Zap!!!::

Ouch! Well, that's what I get for trying to think for myself.
Whatever. Life's too short. :?

#33 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:04 PM

Oh, don't I know it. And to perfect my Evil Mastermind image, I shall create a tiny clone of myself, that will do the hard work of 'sucking up' to people by commenting on their stories. And I will name it 'Mini Laufey', and it will be very cute and disarming, yet utterly vicious and capable of stabbing people's hands with a fork if they don't feed it chocolate.

Me, I will only recant if the people of the Attic give me... *dramatic pause* One MILLION Dollars!

I won't shave my head though. Or wear that drab grey outfit. *sucks pinky finger*

It doesn't sound sanitary. Standard Infection Procedures clearly call for the use of gloves (latex, or vinyl for those of you w/ latex allergies) when coming in contact with bodily fluids like saliva.

Interesting venapuncture techniques!

#34 Laufey

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:05 PM

*maniacal evil cackle*

Um, you're not hiring, are you? Because making those devices sounds like a way cooler job than where I'm currently at, and plus there's the perq of absolutely no sunlight. Sun exposure has been linked to a lot of bad stuff. And who knows? Maybe I can get an employee discount on those circlets. Hand them out at family get-togethers; what fun! And pray tell, what is the retirement plan like? Any profit sharing?

Well, you can be my Minion if you like, but you must expect to work very hard, and be really crappy at shooting the noble heroes when they manage to escape my Dungeon of Doom. Profits will be dispensed according to merit.

So...let me see if I get things straight. I'm too stupid to figure out what works to read on my own, because I *somehow* let numbers screw up my judgement. On the other hand, I'm supposed to be intelligent enough to provide a literate, in depth review of each story I peruse. Umm ????

Does not compute, does not compute, does not com--

::Zap!!!::

Ouch! Well, that's what I get for trying to think for myself.
Whatever. Life's too short. :wink:

Don't even try - fried brains do *not* smell nice. :evil:

#35 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:16 PM

Well, you can be my Minion if you like, but you must expect to work very hard,

::nods:: Can do. At least I can *look* like I'm working hard when you're watching, right? And as long as you don't know any better, what's the difference? You'll be happy because you think you've got yourself a prime sucker, uh, meant employee; and I'll be happy because...well, isn't that every employee's dream, to be a goof-off? :wink:

and be really crappy at shooting the noble heroes when they manage to escape my Dungeon of Doom.

::pumps fist in air:: Goody! I submit as evidence the 512 saved games of KotOR in which I did *not* manage to escape from Tarsis because I couldn't shoot the fighters out of the air.

Profits will be dispensed according to merit.

Hey, not fair! How dare you suggest there's such a thing as merit?! Everyone is equally deserving, and anyone who claims otherwise is either: a) a base conniver or :lol: just really stupid.

Actually, to be serious for once, I *would* like to see pay based on work performance--what a pleasant novelty. It killed me when I was a stupidvisor, and two of my employees had to be paid the same amt. due to contract rules, when one of them clearly outperformed the other.

Don't even try - fried brains do *not* smell nice. :evil:

Yeah, but try seasoning with Worcester, and serve with a tastefully understated Riesling, and it's a culinary adventure not to be missed.

#36 Laufey

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:48 PM

Well, you can be my Minion if you like, but you must expect to work very hard,

::nods:: Can do. At least I can *look* like I'm working hard when you're watching, right? And as long as you don't know any better, what's the difference? You'll be happy because you think you've got yourself a prime sucker, uh, meant employee; and I'll be happy because...well, isn't that every employee's dream, to be a goof-off? :lol:

That's all right, I'll be too busy with my plans for World Domination to notice anyway.

and be really crappy at shooting the noble heroes when they manage to escape my Dungeon of Doom.

::pumps fist in air:: Goody! I submit as evidence the 512 saved games of KotOR in which I did *not* manage to escape from Tarsis because I couldn't shoot the fighters out of the air.

*grin* I died *so* many times in that sequence. And the most annoying part was that you had to rewatch the preceding movie with Malak each and every time.

Profits will be dispensed according to merit.

Hey, not fair! How dare you suggest there's such a thing as merit?! Everyone is equally deserving, and anyone who claims otherwise is either: a) a base conniver or :) just really stupid.

Oh, right. I think I'll be the base conniver in that case. It's all a Conspiracy.

Actually, to be serious for once, I *would* like to see pay based on work performance--what a pleasant novelty. It killed me when I was a stupidvisor, and two of my employees had to be paid the same amt. due to contract rules, when one of them clearly outperformed the other.

*nods* I can fully understand that.

Don't even try - fried brains do *not* smell nice. :)

Yeah, but try seasoning with Worcester, and serve with a tastefully understated Riesling, and it's a culinary adventure not to be missed.

How about a nice Chianti, and some fava beans? :lol: Of course, if one wants to properly emulate Hannibal Lecter, the brains should be removed slice by slice with the hapless victim still alive and able to savor every moment of it.

#37 Guest_Melle_*

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:09 PM

Damn!

Whoa, Laufey mentions bribery and sex, and you want the bribes?
Priorities, man, priorities!

#38 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:27 PM

Damn!

I can only imagine that he's never seen Laufey. :lol:

#39 Guest_Melle_*

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:45 PM

*grin* I died *so* many times in that sequence. And the most annoying part was that you had to rewatch the preceding movie with Malak each and every time.

I never understand how so many people can have so much trouble with that. It's downright stupidly easy.

Of course, I was the guy going one on one with Star Destroyers for fun when playing the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. :lol:

Edit: As I hit the post button, I realize this means I'm horribly disqualified for a position of minion. Could I try out as henchman instead? You know, the guy who actually gives the hero a somewhat challenging fight and/or sells you out to him?

#40 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:49 PM

Damn!

I can only imagine that he's never seen Laufey. :lol:

Umm, I think it's because Slide's a 'she', not 'he'... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com