The Raven's Tale: Chapter Forty-Two:

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:00 AM

The Raven's Tale:
Chapter Forty-Two:

I listened with growing astonishment as Ployer spoke. He spoke of Isaea, whom had taken a liking to the businessman back when he had still been in the slave trade. He spoke of his growing addiction to lotus, and how Isaea had managed to always managed to have some on hand . . . in exchange for favours. After Ployer's fall, Isaea had used him to smuggle lotus within the city.

“Please,” Ployer pleaded, “you can't turn me in. He'd find out – and kill me!” He was currently sitting on the room's only chair, his arms tied to the chair.

Corris snarled, “You think we care?”

“Corris . . .” I said. I didn't want needless killling. If we could protect him in some way -- whether he deserved it or not – I felt obligated to try. Besides, should the matter go to the courts again, he would be needed as a witness.

“Ellie, he's a slaver, and a bastard, and he'll repay ya with nothin'. I know you're good-hearted and all, but don't go bein' a fool!”

“Corris!” Jaheira snapped.

“You have every right to hate me, little one.” Ployer said slowly, his dark eyes wild. “And you, harper.” He turned to Jaheira. Do you hate me with as much passion as she does? Or has the loss of that foppish husband of yours dulled your fire?” A lock of iron-grey hair fell before his gaze.

I could only be amazed. Even in defeat, he still goaded Jaheira, still taunted her. Even in a situation where we could kill him in a heartbeat, still he tested the limits of all of us.

“I told you not to speak that name again.” Jaheira said. Her white-knuckled grip on the staff was a clear indication of just how close her control was to breaking.

“Or what, harper. You'll kill me?” He leered. “I think your friend might have something to say about that.” He glanced to me. “You need me for something . . . and that means that I have the upper hand.”

I frowned. He would have been right, if he hadn't overlooked one element. “Kelsey, Aerie, do either of you have charm spells?” I didn't have them; I'd always disliked them, but given the situation, it was a better solution then beating the information out of Ployer . . . much as a part of me wanted to. It was also far more likely to give us the correct information we needed. Namely, how to get at Isaea.

Aerie shook her head. Kelsey paused, then nodded. He obviously realized what I intended to do. Stepping over, he chanted out the syllables for the spell of Domination. Ployer looked up at him, and his dark eyes went glassy, and he slumped over.

“Ployer?” I asked. His gaze slowly tracked to me.

“mmm?”

“Where do you meet Isaea?”

“His estate.” Though it was a correct answer, it was also an infuriating one. The spell, though compelling him to answer me, didn't make him give any information that I didn't specifically ask for.

“How?” I needed specifics.

“A back door.”

“Where is this back door?”

“Around the side. Under the window.”

It was the entrance that Yoshimo and I had been studying eariler. So we had been on the right track . . . “Is this door locked?”

“No.”

That was just too easy. “Will I need anything to get inside?”

“Yes.”

“What?”

“A wardstone.”

A magically warded door. That impressed me, but also worried me. Who knew what trouble we would run into inside if Isaea's pet mage could do that.

“Give it to me.” I commanded. He dropped a small, blue-grey stone into my palm. I then asked my next question. “When do you meet Isaea?”

“When he summons me.”

“How does he do that?”

“A messenger.”

Great. Another complication. Still, not the end of the world.

“Would he meet you if you contacted him?”

“Perhaps.”

“Perhaps?” I echoed. “What would it take to get him to come?”

Ployer didn't even frown, he just stared at me. “If I brought him news of the Bhaalspawn's death.”

“Bhaalspawn?” I blurted out.

“Yes.”

Ployer didn't know that I was the one Isaea sought. . . that was one blessing, at least. And that was something that we could work with.

“How do you know of this Bhaalspawn?”

“Isaea told me one night.”

“Why?” I could not believe that Isaea would freely speak about such things with Ployer.

“He was drunk.”

That answered that. “Is there a young woman there?” I asked, hoping he might have seen Nalia.

“Yes.”

Good. A few more questions and we would be set to go.

“What of this mage?”

“He is Isaea's servant. He will defend both Isaea and the Lady Nalia.”

“Are there any other guards? Tell me about the patrols.”

Ployer did so, while Corris watched impassively, all the while toying with one of her daggers. When he finshed. I nodded to Kelsey. A moment later, Ployer jerked out of his slump.

“What – how dare you!”

“How dare you.” I snarled back. “If some of these people had their way, you would be dead by now. I'll leave you to think on that while I summon someone to take care of you.” I jerked my head for the others to follow and stalked out of the room.

“Wh-what is going to happen to him?” Aerie asked.

I paused. In the moment I had planned to hand him over to the city guards, but Isaea would hear of that almost immediately. “Anomen?”

“My lady?” He glanced in Aerie's direction. “You have not answered her question.”

“I want your opinion on something first.” I said quickly. “If we bring this bastard to the order, can they keep him under wraps until we deal with Isaea? I don't doubt Isaea's got the city watch in the palm of his hand; I'm hoping he'd have a little less luck with your Order.”

“Of course, my lady.” Anomen said quickly. “Within the walls of the Order's headquarters, this villain shall be kept until justice can be brought to him.”

I grinned. “I wasn't thinking quite that poetically, Anomen, but that's the general idea. But this has to stay a secret. If word gets out that he is being held, our chance to confront Isaea will be gone.”

“I understand, my lady. I shall go now, if you wish --”

“I do, and I'm coming with you.” It wasn't that I didn't trust Anomen – far from it. It was just that knights and squires were not normally known for being subtle and secretive, and that was what I wanted to stress.

“Keep an eye on him until we get back.” I said to Jaheira.

She nodded. “Be quick, child.”

“I will.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com